Blood Ties

By Blizzardwing47

Deathstroke didn't have to. He really didn't have to. Finding a small black haired and blue eyed boy on the g... More

Prologue -Where The Demons Hide-
Chapter 1 -SURPRISE-
Chapter 2 -A Sporting Joke-
Chapter 3 -Scrambled-
Chapter 4 -Double Sided-
Chapter 5 -Misleading Redemption-
Chapter 6 -Handoff-
Chapter 7 -Raw-
Chapter 8 -Hide And Go Panic-
Chapter 9 -Remanicence-
Chapter 10 -Under Pressure-
Chapter 11 -A Missing Presence-
Chapter 12 -Acting Out-
Chapter 13 -Seismic Waves Part 1-
Chapter 14 -Trade Secret-
Chapter 15 -Carrot On A Stick-
Q+A (and bonus scene)
Chapter 16 -Soft Spot-
Chapter 17 -Rollarcoaster Ride (Up)-
Chapter 18 -Rollercoster Ride (Down)-
Chapter 19 -Marionette-
Chapter 20 -R.I.P.-
Chapter 21 -Revelations Part 1-
Chapter 22 -Revelations Part 2-

Chapter 13 -Seismic Waves Part 2-

3.6K 181 352
By Blizzardwing47

A small, almost-ten year old Dick Grayson grunted as he wobbled shakilly down the alleyway, the big heavy cat in his arms wasn't exactly helping his progress, or his wounds. His blood soaked pant leg dragged on the ground behind him, the exposed leg still oozing precious red liquid. His pants were completely torn and frayed around his left shin, slash marks and puncture wounds littering his small calf. He had a few drops of dried blood on his face, his jacket speckled with it as well. His chest huffed with the effort of carrying the wounded cat, but his crystal blue eyes held nothing but stubborn determination. His right arm hurt too, but the big heavy jacket he got from Slade protected his arm from the brunt of the dog attack.

The cat gave an unhappy rumble, its tail flicking its discomfort and distress. The black cat had a mangled leg, chewed on by the vicious dog Dick ever so heroically attacked to save the poor thing. Afterwards, Dick realized this cat was not a 'poor thing', this cat would probably do the same damage as the dog did if it wasn't so incapacitated.

When he first picked up the cat it had hissed at him so much he almost dropped it like it was hot, but he relented and decided that helping the cat was more important than any scratches the cat would give him. Besides, the dog had tried to bite his leg off too, they should be friends.

Dick fumbled as the cat shifted in his arms, it was like the creature became liquid and fell through his arms. The cat landed with a heavy thud, not at all with the grace a feline should have, and limped away quickly and quietly through a hole in a building.

"W-wait..." Dick trudged after the cat, sorrow and pain crossing his face from the loss of his furry little friend. He paused by the hole the cat disappeared into, placing a hand on the eroding wall to help himself catch his breath. The little acrobat looked down to fully survey his wounded leg, he should probably have Slade look at it, it hurt a lot. Slade would be angry, he had gotten himself hurt really bad... Slade usually got upset when he got injured, it took awhile to realize it wasn't anger towards him, but sadness that it happened and that he wasn't there to prevent it.

Slade was funny that way, he really had to pay attention and think things through or else he'll miss what Slade was really trying to say.

Dick was just assessing where he was in relation to Slade's apartment when another thud smacked against the concrete, this one coming from behind him and sounding much more... agile and poised. Dangerous.

Dick whirled around, heart suddenly pounding. His wide, scared blue eyes scanned the dark alley and found a shadow. Two big round red dots floated ominously in the dead space, dread filled his stomach.

He took a step back, only have his back hit the wall. He tried to keep his face void of all fear, Slade had been teaching him how to, but through all his wounds and logical fear of strangers, his face definitely told of his terror.

He started sliding to the side, deciding if the person wasn't going to attack him immediately, he should slip away while he could. He was all too aware of people who would use his fear to further hurt him. Living on the streets those few weeks before Slade made him a quick study, and now with Slade's help, a lot better at judging when to flee and when to fight. Dick supposed attacking people smaller or less fortunate than them made them feel better about themselves, although the little acrobat himself never felt good when he was in the other position, towering over someone who was cowering in fear because of him. The thought alone sent shivers down his spine.

"Aw you poor thing!"

Dick froze in confusion as the figure moved quickly out of the shadows and rushed to help him. Clearly female, she was dressed in all black, she wore some sort of pointy-eared mask over the top of her head and the red orbs were actually goggles. The mask reminded him of Slades alter ego, Deathstroke. He was... he was much more safe than any of the other men he encountered, that's for sure.

Dick tensed as the woman dropped to his level. He shifted back, a scared squeak emitting from his throat.

"Oh it's alright, you poor baby. You're bleeding so heavily! We have to patch this up right now!" The woman said, somewhat sternly. She gave off motherly vibes, a sense of safety and assurance following her words.

Then absolute terror.

"W-wait! N-no! Please!" He scrambled back, hitting the wall as his leg gave out, thus falling to his hindquarters as his hands flew up to ward the woman away. Where was Slade?! Slade would save him! He knew this trick, this happened before and he had fallen for it! They would pretend to be nice to him, lure him in, and then... and then...

And then he was lifted off the ground without his permission. Dick grunted as fear left him breathless and pain made his mind foggy. Darkness edged his vision and his limbs burned with a fierce cold, his throbbing leg a contradictory broiling hot.

"It's going to be alright child, I'll take care of you." The nice woman said, her voice soft and reassuring.

He writhed, trying to escape her arms and get some type of scream out of his mouth, so far he'd only been able to gasp in pain and choke on his cries. No! Not again! He couldn't be tricked by nice people again! He would never be someone else's toy! He shoved against her as hard as he could. Never again!

"Careful!" The woman cried but he was already falling back to the alley floor.

His head hit the cement first with a resounding 'thunk' and his eyes hadn't even closed when the darkness claimed him.

-0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0-

Dick woke up some time later, wrapped in blankets, with a numb tingly feeling throughout his body. His mind was sluggish and his eyes felt glued shut, everything... everything hurt...

Slade..?

He shifted slightly, testing his muscles and mobility. He frowned as he didn't recognise the surface on which he slept, Slade had pretty limited bed-worthy places in their house. A tiny pained groan left his lips, something heavy was resting on his stomach.

His eyes flew open, panic spiking his tired nerves with adrenaline. Dick sat up straight against his body's wishes, his mind demanding confirmation for his fears.

Two grey-blue eyes blinked slowly, slitted pupils barely moving up to his sudden shift.

Dick heaved a heavy relaxing sigh. It was just the black cat he saved. His eyes got wider as his chest constricted tightly.

Waitwatiwaitwait... the cat... the woman... Where was he?!

"It's alright, you're safe here."

He jumped at her sudden voice, the cat on his lap giving a disapproving garble in its throat. His mind rejected any thought that he was anywhere close to safe right now, he didn't even want to check his surroundings, afraid his horrors would come true.

The woman leaned on the couch cushions, her arms folded as she watched him like some fallen fledgling. It took him a moment to get past his sudden fear to realize she was now unmasked, short black hair crested her head and red lips settled in a small smile. Her green eyes made him feel small, like prey to her predator. He felt the part completely.

"N-no... I won't, I-I won't do it!" The ebony haired boy shouted, his hands fisting as tears gathered in his cerulean blue eyes. Slade! Where was Slade!?

Her lips turned downwards as her eyebrows narrowed. "Won't do what?" She sounded confused, but suspicious.

Dick trembled, his breathing hampered with unchecked terror, he could only look at her with pure fear and hope she didn't force him to do anything. He- he was trapped... just like last time... with a woman...

Her eyebrows tilted upwards, her gaze softening as she reached down with a delicate hand to rub his back.

"Shhh... its ok... I'm not going to hurt you." She tried to reason with a gentle voice.

He flinched at the touch, his eyes squeezing shut as his entire body convulsed.

"P-pl-please l-l-le-leav-ave m-me al-a-alone." His head bowed and his spindly arms curled around his tiny chest.

It was quiet for a moment, nothing moved, not even the cat on his lap blinked. The hand on his back had left, causing a mixture of fear and relief to spread through his body. When the woman moved, she moved away.

"My name is Selina." The small acrobat winced at her voice, expecting something else but reacting all the same. "I won't get any closer if you don't want me to, but you could have died from blood loss if I didn't take care of that leg of yours." There was a pause, then she gently asked, "How did it happen?"

Dick took a few deep breaths, something Slade told him to do when he was scared. She wasn't... she wasn't... she wasn't going to- He shook his head to get rid of his train of thought. How did it happen. How did it happen. How did he get so foolish to believe some lady on the street would be nice to hi- No. NO. Dog. Dog bite. Cat. Save cat. He saved a cat. He saved it from a dog, the dog attacked him too.

He blew a solid breath out through his mouth, his body tired with how tense he was and his leg burned with pain. "I-I was, was... w-walking..." He breathed in again, his hands clenching and unclenching rhythmically over his biceps. "I h-heard c-cat i-in pain. A d-do-dog w-was h-hurting him..."

The ebony haired boy focused on the story, his eyes opening to his lap to find dark wet splotches on the red blanket. "I f-found d-dog, p-pulled his t-tail... dog... dog t-turned around an-and b-bit my l-leg."

His face twisted in pain at the memory, but he found himself more relaxed. His gaze flicked upward warily, observing the woman sitting on the ground near his feet. She was listening intently, but made sure she was in his full view and didn't move. Something black darted across his vision and he surprised himself by not jumping. The cat whipped its tail again, slowly blinking again as it shifted to lay more comfortably on the boy's lap. A long arm came out, its paw flexing and sharp claws became visible before sinking back into their sheaths. Dick lifted a hand hesitantly, he reached out shakily and pet the cat's arm, his mind distracted by the soft fur under his fingers.

He saw a white wrap around the cat's back leg and he returned to his story.

"I-I kicked th-the dog an-and ran... it chased me and scratched my arm w-when it t-tried to ta-take me down. I k-kicked it again and picked up the cat, then I jumped a fence an-and started walking." Dick finished, staring at the cat's lazy eyes as they sluggishly began to close. Its furry tummy rose and fell with deep rhythmic breaths, solidly and quietly.

His shoulders relaxed and a soft (but thorough) sigh left his parted lips. He looked to the woman again, Selina, and she was smiling.

"That was very brave of you," She reached up to the blankets, but paused just before her fingers brushed the fabric. "Can I show you your leg?"

Dick nodded and slid his hand into the other and gripped it so tight his knuckles went white.

"I washed the blood away, and I had to do a few stitches for the bigger tears." She drew back the blanket without disturbing the cat, gently stuffing the warm fabric to the side. She looked to him with a little smirk, a hint of humor to her eyes as she said something else. "I'm sorry to say but I think you might need some new pants."

Dick nodded solemnly, squeezing his hand nervously. His leg was wrapped tightly, and he just then noticed his jacket was gone and his arm was also bandaged. He frowned and rubbed his arm, wincing at the touch. He missed Slade, he would give him what he needed, like Peanut. Wintergreen would make him some cookies, or bring him some store bought ones considering the house the three of them lived in had a microwave as their most advanced cooking equipment. Wintergreen was probably freaking out right now...

His eyes glided over to the cat on his lap and he reached out to pet it again. His thoughts drifted, still on guard but relaxed enough to let himself think of something else. "I wonder if he'll let me keep... M...M-Matthew." He mumbled to himself softly.

"Who's Matthew?" Selina asked, pulling the blanket back over his wounded leg. She sat down again on the floor, this time a bit closer to his midsection where the cat slept peacefully.

Dick pointed to the cat, his nerves acting up at her closeness. "I-is it a-a he?"

Selina laughed lightly, a delicate sound, but not quite a giggle. "Yes, he is a he." Then her head tilted in question. "Who is the other 'he'? Is 'he' your dad? I'm sure I can convince him you need each other. Where are your parents anyway?"

Dick winced, recoiling from the woman for a moment. "T-th-they-ey a-are d-d-dead." Fresh tears pricked at his eyes. He had cried over them before, he still cries over them a lot. Slade could calm him down, even with a simple hand on his shoulder, then Dick would hug him and he'd be ok. Even if their deaths had been two years ago, he hadn't been able to fully confront that problem until he met Slade.

Selina grew a sorrowful look, but not a surprised one. "Who is 'he' then?"

Dick hesitated, Slade wasn't big on social interaction, and neither was he for that matter. But in that moment he failed to remember if Slade said he should or shouldn't tell the truth when it came to telling others about Slade. Generally he just avoided telling people about Slade all together, and if he had to, he would lie and tell them he was a family friend. But for some reason, here, he was compelled to tell the truth.

"...Slade." He eventually said, glancing up to see if the woman recognized the name.

"Slade?" Her face stretched in surprise, "as in... Slade Wilson?" She sounded scared the second time, and Dick couldn't figure out why.

He nodded, wondering why the woman didn't like him, well, it was more like she was scared of him actually. That was another cool thing Slade was teaching him, how to read faces, it was cool to tell how one REALLY felt when they tried to lie with their faces instead of their words.

"Kid, do you know who Slade Wilson is?" Before he could even answer she continued. "Deathstroke the Terminator. He kills people for money sweetie, you don't want to be around him." Her tone was serious, the most serious he'd heard her in.

It was scaring him, Slade wasn't a bad guy, he helped him! "I-I know... He helps me..." He felt almost ashamed now, why was he with Slade?

You know where you'd be if you weren't with Slade.

Dick tensed at the thought alone and his shame turned into a grueling fire. Slade was HIS, and NOTHING was going to make him stop loving Slade. Not again. He refused to let his family be taken from him again. Especially not by some random lady who told him Slade was dangerous, he knew he was dangerous, Dick was dangerous too.

"What's your name sweetie, and where can I find Slade?" Selina asked, her softer tone returning but her smile looked strained.

"I'm Dick." He said with his chin up, for the first time holding his own without fear. Well... that was false, considering he was very afraid at that moment. He could be wrong, maybe Slade didn't like him and it was all Dick and he was being annoying. Selina might be right, all adults were right- wait wait wait... Slade told him that wasn't true, adults lie too. Slade never lies though, at least not to him. Slade was safe. That would never change. "I'm coming too." He started shifting under the blankets, barely pausing at the pain erupting in his leg.

Selina leaned down, settling his moving feet, her face creased in concern. "You should stay here where it's safe Dick. You are just a child, he's a mercenary, he shouldn't be around children."

Dick felt the fire under his skin burn. This woman was trying to keep him away from Slade! "How do you know?! You've never seen him with me before, he loves me!"

Selina was surprised at his new tone, having heard nothing above a whisper from him since she found him. She then grew sad, her eyes having this odd look Dick couldn't decipher. "Dick... are you scared without Slade?"

Dick was confused by the question, took an internal poll, and nodded, deciding it was best to tell her he was afraid, because she seemed to want to make him not afraid, and that would mean she would HAVE to let him go to Slade. "I want Slade." He said solidly.

Selina let out a defeated sigh and placed her hands on her hip. "Alright, but will Matthew let you go?"

Dick visibly relaxed, his plan worked! He looked down to the cat in question, making the boy pause as a laugh bubbled up from his throat. the cat was wake now and had a weird look on his whiskered face, like he was disappointed and angry that he couldn't nap anymore. "He's coming with of course." Dick chirped happily and grabbed the cat, shoving his face into his fur as he snuggled.

The cat was utterly outraged.

-0o0o0o0o A little warning, adult themes coming up, only discussed though 0o0o0o0o0-

Deathstroke was crouched silently on the edge of a roof, hunkering down in the shadow of a gargoyle. It was a clear night, one of the few that grace the skies of Gotham, the stars weren't exactly visible, light pollution from the grand city made even the brightest stars almost impossible to see. This night the moon shone down in cool blue colors, creating a few shadows with its might. His eye caught his target, two figures being illuminated by the bright moon. Deathstroke swiftly leaped down to an adjacent roof and rolled to a stand in one fluid motion.

His burning gray gaze locked onto a small figure, his arms folding as he stopped and stood solidly.

Selina Kyle, the Catwoman herself, was walking across the rooftops with his charge, who was struggling to hold a big fluffy black cat.

His eye narrowed.

"Slade!" Dick caught sight of him, obvious by the shout of jubilation, but also informing the mercenary he had told Selina of his identity. The little acrobat wore a giant grin, but didn't race forward to him like the boy he knew would. Something was wrong. He was limping.

It took everything within Deathstroke not to lunge forward and pin the woman down, demanding what happened. Instead, he let his seething anger grow inside, planning on letting it out when Dick wasn't in the near vicinity and in harm's way.

The boy still limped towards him, a half grunt leaving his panting lips as his diamond blue eyes locked with his grey one. Relief, anxiety, fear, hope, were the most prominent emotions being translated through the air by mere eye contact alone, that simple look was enough to raise even more anger and suspicion in the mercenary. He gave no outward clues however, only sending his own relief and sense of safety back to the boy.

Selina was slinking along, eyes darting between the two, her gaze showing concern and anger. Slade was unable to keep the scowl off his face, she wasn't even helping the obviously ailing child, although it did occur to him that Dick might have insisted he hold the cat. Dick got very stubborn with things he was passionate about. Which created a whole new train of thought for the mercenary, why was Dick so adamant he hold the cat? He couldn't possibly want a pet, the apartment was crowded enough. Although recently Wintergreen had been complaining to him about leaving the boy by himself in the house while the two of them were gone. But a cat was a highly ineffective playmate, and definitely no use if the house were to be attacked, except maybe as a portable bullet vest.

In no time, Dick was right in front of Deathstroke, grinning ear to ear as he lifted up the black cat who looked less than enthusiastic about being held. "Slade! I saved a cat!" He beamed and held the cat close to his chest, not being able to hold the heavy cat up for long.

"I see." Deathstroke said, "and I assume your rescue went a little awry?" He pointed with a nod to the boy's obviously wrapped leg, finding the boy was standing heavily on his single good leg.

Dick's face fell a little, almost repentant. "It was a big dog..." 

Slade frowned in disapproval, glad it was hidden by the mask. He and Dick had been working on that, Dick shouldn't be afraid to tell him when things go wrong or think of himself little when they do. He didn't want Dick to misinterpret his disapproval, that would prove difficult to solve, especially with Catwoman being the thorn in both of their sides.

"And when does Miss Kyle enter this story?" Deathstroke grunted, shifting the conversation away from his , turning his gaze on the woman who had been silent so far.

"I saw him bleeding out in an alley, I took him home and patched him up." Selina said indignantly, her own acid gaze boiling into the mercenary.

Slade was unfazed, but his concern grew. Dick liked going out on the streets, for whatever reason, and Slade was beginning to think he should rein him in a bit, the number of close calls were starting to pile up. Not to mention the... terrible incident barely a month ago. It blew his mind that he had even asked to leave the house, usually he had to boot him out (as gently as he could of course).

"Can we keep M-Matthew?" Dick's small voice rose between the glaring contest.

Slade started at the name, but quickly disguised it into a sigh. Will was going to have his head by the end of the day, which, technically, it was the end of the day. "Matthew can have a home whenever he needs it." Slade said eventually, a soft look going down to the pleading child.

Dick's face lit up in excitement, a celebratory 'whoop' coming from him and he jumped in place. This was a terrible idea, Slade almost winced for the boy, but figured Dick realized it within the milliseconds of jumping up. Evident in the pained look overriding his features and his 'whoop' ending in a hissed grunt, his small body bending over slightly to try to alleviate the pain in his leg. 

"Go sit down, Dick. I believe Miss Kyle would like a private discussion." Slade said, eyeing the woman who was still trying to burn holes through him as if she were Superman.

Dick nodded and hobbled off obediently, a grimace still etched into his face. The boy found a little wall to lean back against, with the cat still settled firmly in his arms and lap. Slade gave a small nod of approval, the child was close enough to keep an eye on without hearing their conversation, and certainly within earshot if either cried out.

Slade found Selina was watching him too, an odd fury added to her gaze that was not directed at the boy, but to him. Deathstroke turned to her, masking his anger as she looked ready to bust a vein.

"You have NO reason to be in charge of that child!" She exploded, not unexpectedly. "He is innocent! He does not need you corrupting his childhood! He almost died tonight and you were nowhere to be found! You are the least capable person in the world to care for a child!" Selina basically shouted, eyes lit in a dangerous rage.

Slade took a deep breath, both to calm himself down and to irritate Selina further with his delayed response. "He came to me." He grunted slowly. "His childhood already corrupted long before I met him. If you want to find out, don't ask me, that's his story is his to tell, not mine."

Selina was acutely aware he avoided the questions regarding his ability to care for the boy. "Are you even trying to help him?! Or are you using him for your own sick gain?!"

Anger flared inside him, having to bite his cheek to make sure he didn't just swipe at her for even thinking that was a possibility. When he finally spoke his voice was clipped, trying so very hard not to take offense at the woman's jab. "It isn't exactly easy, trauma doesn't disappear in the blink of an eye. What use would I have with a child anyway? He comes to me, I just don't turn him away. There are a lot more people out there who would use him for much worse things, at least when he's with me, he's not with them."

Selina was quiet for a moment, looking back through her interactions with the child and the child's obvious dependency on Slade. Her gaze was solid, looking at him through acuusing eyes.

"He was afraid of me, afraid that I was going to rape him." She said lowly, but not without power.

Slade almost froze, a disgruntled breath leaving his lips.

It was a month ago.

Slade had been deep in a mission, contact to the outside world was severed for the time. When he finally returned he came home to a worry stricken William Wintergreen, noticeably alone and  jabbering on about how long Dick had been missing. Will had gone looking himself, but couldn't find the child anywhere, and feared the worst.  Slade had immediately set out to find him, but it wasn't until a few days later when the poor boy was found.

He was alone, in a run down house, bruised, and naked.

Slade hadn't felt so much anger in his entire life as he had in that moment, but for Dick, he was able to stuff it down enough to take him home. It was a miracle the child recognized him and allowed him to take him away from that horrid place. He wasn't even ten years old yet and had to go through the most vile of atrocities. Dick was absolutely terrified of anyone but Slade and Wintergreen, except for on bad days, those days Slade had the sharpest memory of. He had revisited the place of Dick's torture some time later, and slaughtered the people responsible- both male and female. It took Slade a week just to get the boy to leave the bedroom, two to get him out the door of the house. The nightmares were still bad, not surprising even a month later. The memories were still fresh, one doesn't get over such a terrible thing in any small amount of time.

"An unfortunate event, lasting a week, only just a month ago." Slade said, seeing Selina's anger boil up just as his did when he found him. "He is progressing as much as can be expected." Slade said with a pointed nod towards the calmly waiting child. "It's a wonder that he trusts anyone at this point, he only trusted me because I saved him before.

Slade settled a stern glare on the woman, his voice coming out even and heavy. "I have no desire to see the boy hurt, I certainly won't use him for any type of gain, he's much too fragile for that."

Silena huffed, but backed down ever so slightly. "Just make sure he wants this, and DON'T get him killed."

"Contrary to popular belief, my name does not mean I control death. I will try Miss Kyle, and I am not one to half-a** a job. Now if you'll excuse me I need to take Dick home before he catches a cold."

Deathstroke stomped off, leaving the woman behind and finding Dick dozing off with the cat still on his lap. Slade bent down in front of him, making sure the kid's eyes flashed in recognition before speaking and moving. "Wintergreen has been worried sick." He murmured to the sleepy boy, only receiving a tired hum in response. "I think Peanut might become jealous." Slade said as he observed the cat nestled in the little acrobat's lap. Dick's mouth twitched upwards, a small attempt of laughter coming out more like a huff. The child reached for the mercenary, leaning up slightly as Slade swooped down at the invitation. Slade heaved him up, shifting him into bridal style to keep the cat on board and the leg safe.

Selina stayed behind, watching the duo move off, her eyes scrutinizing the large mercenaries receding back.

Travel was uneventful and Deathstroke took that moment to really observe the boy. His coat was missing and his arm was wrapped in the same way his leg had, but the leg had darker splotches of blood on the wraps. His face was pale and gaunt, having fallen asleep in his arms and fitfully dreaming. Oh how he wished he could have found him sooner, of course it had to be the one week he was out of town for something like that to happen to such a precious child as this.

Deathstroke stopped at the window, tapping on the glass with a knuckle only two times before William's form appeared. The old man lifted the window in record time, his worried strength opening the window past the place it usually got stuck. He was wearing a black turtleneck with its long sleeves scrunched up near his elbows and his long jeans he usually wore in cold weather. He'd been planning on going out again to search for Dick, even though Dick had only been missing for six hours William was adamant that he'd never wait so long to find him again. 

"Is he alright?!" William asked, rushing forward as his dark eyes darted along the boy's sleeping form, not aware that in his feverous worrying he was blocking the entrance to the house. "Where was he?! What happened to his leg?! Why is there a cat on his lap?!"

"All very good questions my old friend." Slade said, but huffed in annoyance. "But maybe you would like to let us inside?"

William paused and nodded swiftly shuffling to the side barely leaving enough room for the mercenary to get in without spilling the contents of his arms. "Of course, of course." 

Once Slade stepped in Will crowded around him again, checking the boy's forehead and pulse. Slade almost rolled his eye, Will wasn't always such a worry wart, it amused him that only Dick could make the old army man turn into a mother hen.

"Well?" William asked, turning around heading for the bedroom in a furious pace.

Slade answered all the same, knowing Will would hear him just fine from the other room. "From what I've gathered Dick saved this cat from a vicious dog attack, in which he didn't come out unscathed. Cat woman found him sometime later and helped his wounds, then came searching for me with Dick."

"In that state?! The nerve of that woman!" William cried in anger, coming back out after bustling about (rather violently) with blankets and pillows on the floor, his usually neat gray hair up in wild licks like he'd been running his hand through it.

The chaos William created when stressed was not something to take lightly, but in that moment Slade was amused. "Calm down," Slade said, walking slowly over to the bedroom, but being signaled by Will to stay put he stood still. "He's fine, he just needs some rest. Dick would like to keep the cat, I said if Matthew needed a home he could have one."

WIlliam froze at the name. "Matthew? Goodness gracious child, and here I was thinking he was getting better." Will came forward again and gently took the boy from the mercenaries arms, giving a sharp nod to the furry creature regarding them with a cold glare. "Take the cat, I'll explain to Dick later but I will not have any hair balls in the bedroom."

Slade rose an eyebrow, a cat isn't a cat unless it ignores all human commands, but he found himself gently lifting the cat off the sleeping boy. The creature hissed at him, but made no violent acts. Slade agreed with the cat, William was being unfair, he couldn't be mean to the cat just because he didn't like what Dick had named him. Slade was sure that was the reason for the old man's sudden sharp attitude, along with the wounded child.

"He is getting better," Slade countered, watching the older man move the boy into the bedroom floor. They found out quickly that the boy didn't take kindly to waking up in a bed, a fact that convinced Slade to go after the people responsible. Dick, surprisingly, was the one who held him back, telling him that even if the mean people did hurt him, he didn't want them to die. A very mature decision on the child's part, but after seeing the boy wake up in utter terror simply because he was in a bed made his vision go red. Slade was taken again by surprise when Dick didn't seem upset when he came back after his vengeance spree, almost relieved. 

"Think about it Will," Slade said, testing out his own ideas as he spoke them aloud. "If Dick feels like he can save this Matthew, then his guilt over the real one might subside over enough time."

"It's unhealthy!" Will nearly shouted, then quieted as he returned to the living room without the boy. The man placed his hands on his hips, Slade once again reminded of a mother hen. "It is going to crush him, because even if he saves a million Matthews, the Matthew that mattered is still dead at his hand."

Slade was silenced by the jumble of words so carelessly thrown about. Usually this was a matter of great reverence, Dicks first -and only- kill was extremely traumatizing for the boy, and it had happened long before Slade even met the little acrobat.

"This Matthew matters to him." Slade said quietly, still in some shock by the bluntness of William's exclamation. Then he realize what he said and glanced at the cat, suddenly wondering why he was arguing in favor of the creature. He ignored the cat, finding it better to think of arguing for Dick's mental stability rather than a living, breathing, annoying cat.

William's words twisted his insides, it sounded as if the old man blamed Dick, but he knew that was just his old friend's anger talking. Will was quite sympathetic to Dick's situation, and Slade wasn't above reminding him about it. "At 8 years old he didn't have the luxury of choice, you know that."

"Exactly," Will said as he moved off towards the kitchen in a hurried manner, wrenching open the medicinal cabinet and grabbing a few liquid painkillers. "We can understand how it's not his fault, but he is only nine, and even younger when it happened. He isn't capable of thinking it's not his fault, and no amount of saving cats and sticking that poor boy's name on them is going to rid him of that guilt. He won't understand until he's much older, we just have to make sure he gets there."

"I think you underestimate his capacity for kindness." Slade said, almost glaring at his friend who was busting himself looking for something in the kitchen. "He needs a companion, you said it yourself a few days ago. And even if Dick has attached that boy's conscious to this cat, wouldn't it help him eventually accept what happened? At least now he's saying his name, he could be a therapy cat." As soon as the words left his mouth Wintergreen scoffed, and honestly, Slade felt the same. But he argued anyway, for Dick. "What good would it do now to get rid of it? I'm not sure Dick can handle losing another Matthew, especially after certain recent events."

"Fine." Said William's angry grunt, finally finding his prize, Peanut, and pausing at the door to the bedroom. "He can keep the cat. But you get to take care of him while I take care of Dick."

Slade frowned, "Now hold on a moment." He protested, lifting the cat away from his person in annoyance.

"Dick will be fine, you needn't worry. 'Matthew' can stay out there with you until Dick is feeling better." William said, ignoring his friends misgivings.

Slade was full on glaring now. "If he wakes up-"

"You will be busy, I'll be just fine." Will cut him off, opening the door to go inside.

"William." Slade's voice lowered. Will stalled in the doorway and Slade could barely see Dick's limp form in the mound of blankets on the floor.

"I understand Slade," He said with a small glare, "if it's anything severe I'll get you, now if you'll excuse me I need to make sure Dick is comfortable and his needs are met." Will shut the door, leaving Deathstroke The Terminator holding a cat at arm's length in the middle of his apartment. 

Slade glared at the door, he hated when William got like that, Dick was his responsibility before he was Will's, that darn old man just couldn't help himself when Dick was hurt. "Shouldn't that be my job?" Slade asked the cat, in which the cat flicked its tail and meowed indignantly to the position it was being held in.

Slade sighed and moved over to the kitchen. The cat growled and hissed a few times but Slade eventually made it to the counter in which he set the cat down on. He got out a cup of water for himself and a bowl for the cat, after setting down the cup he fished some leftover chicken from the fridge and tore it up. He placed it in the microwave for 30 seconds, his mind mulling over the events of the past few hours.

His headspace was shattered when he heard his cup splatter onto the floor, he twisted around so fast he thought he might slip. Matthew sat on the counter, paws set delicately in front of him, slate grey eyes watching expectantly. The space the cup had been moments before was deserted, the cat flicked his tail and Slade observed the fallen cup of water.

He sighed.

This cat was already getting on his nerves.

The microwave beeped and Matthew started to meow impatiently.

That cat was darn lucky Slade wanted to see Dick happy.

HAHA! YOU WERE FOOLED! You thought this chapter would be 5,000ish words? BASK IN THE GLORY OF 6,931 WORRRDDSSSS!!! (holy frick that's almost 7,000- jeez)

Yup. Send help. I'm dying of writing too much.

ANywho, YES WILLIAM WINTERGREEN IS IN THIS STORY. His absence from the first few chapters is totally explainable, but that would be spoilers, so you ain't gettin anythin outta me!

Also I was always under the impression Will was this frail old butler man like Alfred? but he's not?? He's actually awesome and buff, he's a buff butler, a buffler.

I HAS PROOF!

Buffler.

Yee, I love Wintergreen, he was kinda a butt in this one but don't worry, yall will see him later too, and nicer.  

OH ALSO I DID A DOODLIE

Dickie beannnn holddingggg Matthewwwwww yeeeeeeee

Okie dokie, so now that this chapter is officially over, (friggin two parts I swear I'ma drown in words one day) the next chapter can begin!

Update time? idk, most of the next chapter is planned out but editing may take awhile, as will finding the time to actually write, thats been my main issue tbh. I friggin love writing. 

See ya around mah peeps! And seriously thanks for all the love for this book, i seriously didn't expect it to blow up like it did. 16K reads and 800+ votes rn, thanks so much guys! Actually I barely look at those, like every now and then I see it and I'm like 'oh', I like comments much more, they tell me what the readers are feeling and what stuff is sticking and or affecting, very helpful for future chapters- so thanks for all the comments too you guys! I love you all!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.7K 827 21
A sequel to Violation. Even after Ivy and Bane were arrested, Dick hasn't been able to get the itching feeling from his skin. To escape the trauma of...
242K 8.5K 22
What will happen when the team's Robin gets caught on a mission? Will their intelligent and brave Robin have his wings clipped forever? Or will they...
138K 2.7K 9
After finding happiness in Camp Half-blood, Nico di Angelo is once again ripped out of his old life. This Time, he finds himself in Gotham City, the...
7.5K 246 23
Deathstroke had been patient, he had learned and now he made his move. With Nightwing removed from the scene secrets come to light, new relationships...