The Unrivalled Expert in Huma...

By BeifongFirebender

Follows Azula after the events of Smoke and Shadow... Essentially a love story, but seasoned with fighting, m... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12

Chapter 4

198 14 5
By BeifongFirebender

I'd like to make the chapters a tad longer, but they do have to break at a logical point in the story, so the lengths will change from week to week.

Here is another one, hope you enjoy it...

oooooooooo

103 AG

After a day and a half of going through the Earth Kingdom forest, the pirate and the princess finally reached the shore again. Azula didn't really care much what the scenery was while they were traveling, she actually preferred the forest for security reasons.

Wen, on the other hand, lit up when he saw the sea again.

"We can rest here." he said and ran towards the water.

"I'm beginning to think you'd rather be late than admit your crew didn't show up." she started before realizing Wen had already taken off his shirt and was now at the shoes. She looked away, trying to fight her curiosity and remain loyal to the rules of decency she was taught.

"Don't fluster, the pants are staying on." she heard him say seconds before a loud splash.

"Just hurry it up, pirate." she turned back towards him, to find him floating in the water. She tried to play it like she had men undressing themselves around her every day, but that was far from the truth. Between her childhood in an all-girls school and her teenage years in an all-girls mental institution, her contact with boys was always limited. She was beginning to think that was by design. Father couldn't have her distracted, now, could he?

She got it in a way. For the last day or so she was feeling pretty distracted.

"Why do you still call me that?" he asked from the water, still smirking like he stumbled upon treasure, not a small beach.

"You call me Princess." she lied down on the ground, taking in the sun.

"Fair enough. Want to join me, Azula?"

"Not particularly, no."

"Could it be that the almighty Fire Nation Princess doesn't know how to swim?"

"Don't be preposterous, I fought with the Navy. I can hold my breath for 5 minutes, swim for hours in freezing cold water and come out ready to firebend. I trained for years."

"No, no, no, no... You're looking at it all wrong." Wen walked out of the water and took one of her hands, "Come, I'll show you."

"I don't have a swimsuit." she shook her head.

"I'll dry all our stuff with my bending later. Come on." he stepped back into the shallows and watched as she removed her boots and jacket.

"I'm in the water. So what?" she said upon feeling the chill of the waves on her feet.

"Now like this." he took her hand again, she still wasn't sure how she felt about that, but she didn't think to pull it back even for a second. Wen only stopped when they were both standing face to face, with the water around their waists.

"The sea is not something you overcome," he took her other hand into his too, "You work with it, adapt to it and it adapts to your presence."

"Easy for you to say, when you can control it with a single movement." she looked through the water at their feet on the rocks.

"You really think I can control the whole ocean?" Wen chuckled, "You think any waterbender could? The water's there, we just help it along its way. And water always finds a way. The smallest cracks, hot or cold, it's there somehow."

Azula felt the waves become stronger and made the mistake of locking eyes with Wen.

"How does it feel?"

Azula was thinking of all kinds of synonyms for the word amazing, when she realized he was probably asking about the water.

"Cold." she said simply.

"We could use a little fire then." he smiled and she put her palms in between them, letting a fire burn. Wen put his hands close, but not too close, to feel a bit of the heat.

"It's quite beautiful when it's no out to kill me," he added, thinking he could have said the same thing about her, "I never thought I'd see the blue kind. Who taught it to you?"

"No one. It just came natural to me."

"I always wanted to ask... Do you feel the same way about the sun that I do about the moon?"

"Yes, it helps."

"No. I mean, do you miss it?"

"When I was locked up...I didn't see it for months at a time. It was survivable, but it was no way to live."

"The thing about the sun... It burns you."

"Only if you're not careful." Azula extinguished her fire, "If you respect it, it gives life."

"I'm quite sure you need water for that too." Wen cut in, "And what's more, water is freedom. It can take you almost anywhere. Last I checked, that was why you were with me, my ship can take you wherever you want."

"Why else..."

oooooooooo

After swimming and a few more rounds of dueling, they decided to spend the night there on the beach. It seemed very secluded, which was a good thing, considering the collective prize for their capture.

This time it was Wen's turn to sleep through the night and Azula was to keep watch. She found herself looking over to him more often than checking their surroundings. She told herself it was all to make sure he wasn't having nightmares again, but she was partly aware that wasn't true.

All she could think about was this remarkable person, she'd probably never see again after three days passed. There was no way he fit into her life or she in his. They both lived their lives surrounded by followers, there was no place for another leader there.

But something that was a bit unusual was that while she was certain in all that, the question kept coming back to her. Usually, when she ruled something out it was out of her mind, but the question of Wen kept looping back for whatever reason.

You really think he spends hours thinking about you?

Azula heard something sounding like a mixture of several voices coming from somewhere in the dark. She lit a fire in her palm and looked around swiftly.

"Who's there?"

No people. No animals. Nothing.

It's HIM you should be worried about.

The voice was becoming more feminine.

"He's different!" she yelled and then looked back at Wen who turned to the other side, still asleep.

I'm only here to help you... darling.

"No! No, no, no, no..." Azula fell to the floor and covered her ears violently. She also closed her eyes because she recognized the way that last word sounded.

Because I love you, Azula.

Ursa's voice sent shivers down Azula's spine. She thought she was done with this. But obviously not.

She opened her eyes and saw her mother standing in front of her clear as day. How was she back at this?

Darling, how can't you see he's using you?

"To what angle? No, he doesn't need me here for anything... I think he likes me." Azula promised herself she wouldn't engage with her hallucinations anymore, but she couldn't help it. She had to tell someone.

Likes you?

Ursa snickered.

That's even more crazy than talking to someone who isn't here.

"I'm not crazy!" Azula was walking farther and farther way, trying to keep herself from waking Wen.

Azula, I'm telling you this because I love you... He is dangerous.

"Oh, you just don't like your daughter with a low-born. But I don't care. He's different." Azula looked back at where the pirate was sleeping, "He's not scared of me."

My darling, there is only one reason men come close to monsters. To slay them.

"Enough! Shut up, you don't know what you're talking about!" Azula screamed and sent a blast of fire towards where she saw her mother.

oooooooooo

Wen was woken by screams and the smell of smoke. He twitched into a sitting position and looked around for his travelling companion. Instead he saw a part of the forest was on fire.

"Azula!" he jumped and ran right into the fire, bending a big wave of seawater to help him extinguish the fires.

After putting out the first few trees Wen laid eyes on Azula, kneeling on the ground with a burn on her arm. She was looking into the flames, mumbling something.

"Azula, who is it? Who attacked us?" he ran right for her and tried to help her up, but she jumped from him.

"No! This is all you! She put you up to it! She told you to get me alone and kill me!" Azula screamed and then threw some fire in his direction, which he easily avoided.

"Who is she?" Wen looked around in confusion. They were alone as far as he could tell.

"My mother, she told me you want to kill me. She knows because she hired you to do it!" Azula fell back laughing, "This was her plan! Oh, yes, yes... All along!"

Wen still wasn't sure what was happening, but he was beginning to piece together it had something to do with what he read about the Princess spending time in a mental institution.

"Tell me what else she's saying." Wen said and then turned around to put out the rest of the fire around them, knowing full well Azula could pounce at him from behind at any point. For some reason he just didn't think it could happen. She seemed like more of a danger to herself than to him.

"She's just saying you're dangerous over and over again..." Azula didn't know where to turn now that there was no fire anymore. Just darkness.

"Well, then do me a favor and tell her to piss off." he knelt right next to her, "If I wanted to kill you I wouldn't do it behind your back like a damn coward. Alright?"

"Right." she smiled at nothing, clearly not herself yet, but definitely calming down.

"Your hand. Can I see it?" Wen reached for it, but Azula pulled back again.

"Alright." he said, "No hands. No touching. Just water, OK?" He got a nod from Azula and slowly bended the water from his pouch up her arm and to her burn.

"How does that feel? Does it hurt?" he continued talking, seeing she was still struggling with something. As he waved his arms around, the water began glowing and at the same time Azula's burn started fading.

"See? All better." he removed the water, revealing a perfectly healthy-looking arm, "It won't even leave a scar."

She inspected the hand and turned away from him, sitting on the ground. Wen didn't know a lot about dealing with episodes like that, but at that moment he wished he did more than anything. In his unprofessional opinion, she seemed better when she was communicating with someone.

"Did you know that was my first successful attempt at healing someone?" he asked, but she didn't respond or show interest, "At the North Pole they only teach healing to girls and fighting to boys. Which, if you ask me, is a tragic waste of talent on their part. I ended up asking one of the girls that kind of fancied me to teach me, but I was dreadful. I could not heal a paper cut."

"How did you do it now?" Azula finally responded, tracing her finger over her perfectly healthy skin.

"I guess, you have to really want it," he said and she turned around, "And I really wanted you to be well again... So, what do you need? Sleep?"

"It'd be better if we just kept going." she got up.

"Some brisk, night air. Sounds good." he followed her lead.

They walked along the beach for a few minutes, before Wen got fed up with the awkward silence.

"I was thinking we expand the topics for our questions to the Fire Nation." he suggested, "I lived there for most of my life, I'll manage."

"Don't patronize me."

"I'm not. I'll show you by walking all over you in your own category." he said smugly, "Bring it. It's your turn if I recall."

"If you're so impatient to lose... Avatar Roku's only daughter's name?"

"I'm going to regret this, aren't I?"

oooooooooo

134 AG

Azula stopped for a second, seeing Zuko, Mai and Katara all made the same face.

"I'm not telling this, so you could feel sorry for me... I don't need or want your pity!" she snapped them out of it.

"We just..." Katara tried, "The war left marks on us all. We understand."

"You could never understand." Azula said, shutting Katara right up, "It used to get really bad, back in those days... While I was still alone. Wen helped, so does Zari, but-"

"Blah, blah..." Mai interrupted, horrifying Zuko and Katara, "Are we ever going to get to the good part?"

Zuko was just about to formally apologize for his wife when he saw Azula smile slightly. Oh, it was OK... That was just how they talked to each other. Mai was obviously allowed some liberties the rest of them weren't. He was certain anyone else who interrupted his sister like that wouldn't have a great time.

"Right, the good part." Azula looked to the sea, "That's still a little ways down the road..."

oooooooooo

103 AG

"What's the plan, thief?" Azula asked, but got no answer from Wen. They were currently both crouched in the bushes near a small village, hoping to get something to eat.

"What's the plan, Wen?" she corrected herself.

"Alright, well, the food's kept there, in that building." he pointed, "I know they have a fresh supply because that carriage in the back just delivered it. You go to the front, cause a distraction, while I sneak in the back and take as much as I can. We meet back here after. Sound good?"

"Not at all."

"I suppose we could change places if you want..."

"Not that," she pointed to the food carriage again, "That delivers the food from village to village, right? Why don't we just rob it, then? It has two people defending it."

"That's actually not bad."

"I thought you were supposed to be good at this..." she teased.

Next, they hid in the trees near the road, knowing the carriage would have to pass there. They weren't waiting long when their target came into their sights.

"What are we waiting for?" Azula whispered.

"I have another idea. Just wait." Wen watched the carriage slowly pass them and did nothing.

Azula wasn't quite sure if he knew what he was doing, but she realized his plan when he jumped out of their hiding place right behind the wagon and climbed aboard. She followed close after and soon they were both surrounded by the cargo, without the driver knowing a thing.

"See? Now we can eat and travel at the same time." he opened one of the boxes and pulled out a bagel.

"How much longer to this secret rendezvous of yours?" Azula asked while riffling through a box with pastries.

"What? You can't wait to get rid of me?" he joked, but little did he know Azula was thinking the exact opposite.

"I honestly don't mind you." she said, "Together we are... Formidable."

"Well, I think we're a great team too." his tone suddenly got serious, "That's why I wanted to ask if you'd be interested in joining my crew when we meet up with them. We could use a good firebender and you'd fit right in..."

"No, thank you. I'm not really a joiner." Azula said before even thinking about it. She was beginning to consider Wen as someone whom she'd want around, but she definitely wasn't about to set sail with his band of criminals.

"Oh, that's... Alright." It was obvious he was expecting a different answer.

What followed were a few awkwardly silent minutes, filled only with chewing from the both of them.

"If you think about it..." Azula started, feeling she had to make it right between them, "Do you really want an unstable firebender on a wooden ship?"

"If that firebender's you, then yeah, I do."

Azula chuckled at that, "You've known me, what? Two days?" trying to remind herself they were still mere acquaintances.

"It's enough. How long does it take to you to figure out a person? For most people it takes five, eight minutes... Ten at most. Am I close?"

She didn't tell him he was right, but she didn't have to since her face did it for her.

"I'm the same way. It's a useful skill for a man on the run, deciding whom to trust." saying that he reached for some water, but instead of drinking he made a swift motion that ended with him holding an icy dagger at her throat, "Knowing if a man has what it takes to cut your throat also is."

"What are y-" Azula could always go as far as to laugh with blades pointed at her, but this time her heart was pounding.

"You know how it's done, you look into the attacker's eyes and you see if they'd do it. Look and tell me if I could do it to you."

And Azula's eyes shifted from his hand to his face immediately. She was usually infallible at this, but she's been wrong about this pirate before. A couple times before, actually.

It was a highly useful skill indeed, knowing which of your enemies would do you in if you gave them the chance. Usually, if someone had the slightest shred of doubt in their mind Azula knew about it before even they did. They all had the same look, the look Wen was giving her right now.

It could have been a trick, it could have been a lie, but Azula couldn't deny what she saw. Her eyes said bluff, no matter how cold the dagger was against her skin.

"No. No, you couldn't." she said quietly, and in one violent motion kicked the ice out of his hand and knocked him down onto his back. It was her turn to threaten him now, only her dagger was made of scorching, blue fire.

"Don't you ever pull a knife on me again!" As she held him down like that, she wondered what he saw. It was way easier to read another's intentions than it was to puzzle out your own. She didn't think she was bluffing, but, after all, there was only one way to be absolutely sure.

"It doesn't really matter now, does it?" he said calmly, "Now that you know it wouldn't do me any good."

oooooooooo

Alright... This chapter I tried to paint a mild psychotic episode. I don't claim to know how to diagnose Azula, it could have been a million things that caused her breakdown in the show. My immediate instinct was schizophrenia, but she was a bit young for that, so I truly don't know. Also, doing research on mental illness is a special kind of nightmare... I didn't really find any general rules on how episodes like that work, aside from the fact that the voices are not supposed to say nice or constructive things. So that's what I focused on...

It's a world with dragons... Work with me.

I also really liked the idea of instead of Wen telling Azula he wouldn't hurt her a million times, he just let her see/feel how he couldn't. She didn't have to trust his words, but seeing is another thing. On why he wouldn't kill her... Guess, I thought of it as one of those: I don't empathize with people often, but when I do it's mad intense... For both of them.

Anyway, I'll continue next week. Reviews are VERY appreciated, so feel free to share your thoughts if you have the time...

If I remember correctly, the next chapter is an important one so stay patient... 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

889K 32.1K 115
Azara never wanted to be a princess of the Fire Nation. So, when the opportunity to help the Avatar and defeat her father arises, she takes it. And u...
1.3K 28 32
Despite balance being restored, and peace mostly established, Fire Lord Zuko has resistance factions, and trouble in the colonies to deal with. With...
1.2K 25 15
Two years after Azula's defeat on the day of the Comet she goes into hiding from Zuko and the Avatar until a mysterious ship from the sky crash lands...
21.2K 694 12
It was one mistake that led (Y/n), a young girl from the Northern water tribe, down a path of twists and turns. After being somewhere she was told no...