The Best Mistake | A Draco Ma...

By sab_stories

After the events of the recent wizarding war, Serena Collins had one goal in mind coming back for her final y... More

Prologue
01 - The Meeting
02 - The Deal
03 - The Origins
04 - The Escape
05 - The Patronus
06 - The Reason
07 - The Aftermath
08 - The Glare
09 - The Box
10 - The Burn Out
11 - The Advice
12 - The Glow
13 - The Chill
14 - The Moonlight
15 - The Reply
16 - The Visit
17 - The Past
18 - The Dinner
19 - The Prince of Slytherin
20 - The Platinum Trio
21 - The Letter
22 - The Confrontation
23 - The Common Room
24 - The Three Broomsticks
25 - The Ticket
27 - The Question
28 - The Valentine's Date
29 - The Miscommunication
30 - The Dinner Party
31 - The Field
32 - The Rumour
33 - The Truth
34 - The Plan
35 - The Dress
36 - The Broken
37 - The Talk
38 - The Time
39 - The Trial
40 - The Malfoy Manor
41 - The Family Meeting
42 - The Best Mistake
Acknowledgement

26 - The Dilemma

1.1K 24 4
By sab_stories

Weeks had gone by and it was finally February. This year, the students went all out with decorations for Valentine's day. Serena was surprised and wondered why the faculty members allowed such extravagant displays for a simple holiday but then thought that maybe because this year they didn't have to worry about any upcoming war or worry about any dark presence. It was the year of freedom and love.

Serena was never the kind of girl who got giddy and excited for Valentine's. She wasn't stressed either when she didn't have any dates in the past years. Although she did think that she would confess to Tristan on Valentine's, how cliché was that? She shuddered at the thought. Thank Merlin it didn't happen!

But thankfully that was all in the past and now she's happily with Draco. At the thought of him, she suddenly stopped walking and realized. "Wait a minute," she thought to herself, "should I give a gift to Draco? Does he even want to celebrate Valentine's? Do I want to celebrate?" Anxious, Serena decided to go and ask the person who knew Draco best.

Blaise was sitting at a bench by the quadrangle busy in his work when he felt someone sit beside him.

"I didn't know you sketched," Serena said surprised.

"Just one of my many amazing skills" Blaise smiled while closing his sketchpad.

"Was that a hippogriff? That was pretty good Blaise, I'm impressed!"

"Why thank you, Serena! I could listen to you compliment my art skills all day but we both know that's not why you're here"

Serena gave him a sly smile. She looked around to make sure Draco wasn't near or incoming. She leaned closer towards Blaise "okay, so I'm actually glad you're here alone and promise not to tell Draco about this conversation okay?"

"Very interesting way to start a conversation, I am intrigued and I promise" Blaise replied with a cheeky smile.

"And don't laugh when I ask you! I myself have no clue about what this darn thing is and honestly why do people alwa--"

"Stop blabbering and get on with it!" Blaise interrupted, clearly curious about what Serena had to ask.

"Okay! Uh...... So....... What does um...... Draco think of Valentine's day?"

All Blaise had was a confused look with a hint of disappointment, maybe? Serena wasn't sure but she knew Blaise wasn't expecting that question and clearly didn't know what she meant. So she explained further, "you know, does he like the holiday? Or does he hate it? Celebrate it? Those kinds of things"

Blaise looked up as if to find an answer floating in the sky. He then looked at Serena and replied "I don't know. He used to hate it when we were younger, but as we got older he didn't really care"

Serena sighed, not knowing what to make out of Blaise's response.

"But it is understandable" Blaise added, "I mean how could he even have time to think about a silly holiday when he was training to be a death eater"

"I guess you're right"

"But if you have plans to do something for him, I say go for it." Blaise encouraged

"That's exactly what I'm wondering about. I don't have a plan yet cause I myself don't celebrate it either, and I never had a reason to. Until now." Serena said as she leaned back on the bench facing the castle. "But I kind of want to do something for him" She whispered not sure if to herself only or to Blaise.

"Then you should," Blaise said reaching for Serena's hand.

"Do you and Pansy celebrate it?" Serena asked

"We do actually. Pansy isn't into traditions but every Valentine's I cook us dinner and we have a picnic at our favourite spot." Blaise replied smiling.

"That sounds really sweet. Thanks Blaise, I think I will do something for him, I'm just not sure what it is yet" Serena hugged Blaise as a thank you and left him to go to the library and search for ideas that could help her with her plans for Valentine's.

Hours later Serena felt a hand on shoulder, startled she looked back to see the librarian smiling at her. 

"It's almost curfew Ms Collins, time for you to head back your room"

"Oh of course. Thank you" 

She gathered all the books she took and placed them back to where they belong. As she walked back to her common room she felt defeated with her feet dragging on the floor and her shoulders slumped.

"I can't believe I spent hours in their reading wizard romance novels and didn't find a single idea on what to do," Serena thought aloud.

Instead of heading inside the Slytherin's common room, she decided to go to the secret little corner her, and her friends go to when they need to talk in private.

"What to do, what to do. I can't believe I'm having such a hard time figuring out what to do for him!" She sighed in frustration.

"What in the world are you mumbling about?"

Serena looked up when she heard the all too familiar voice. "Draco? What are you doing here?"

"Well, I was heading back from my detention to Slytherin Dungeon when I saw a raven-haired girl walking like she just lost a  bet of the season. I followed her, and here we are"

When Serena just sighed and looked down, Draco half-knelt in front of her. He rarely sees her looking this worried, and he can't help but feel worried too. "What's wrong, Serena?"

"I can't tell you" She replied still not looking at him.

"Well, aren't I your boyfriend? You're supposed to tell me everything. That's a rule"

"Since when?"

"Since now. C'mon tell me!"  

Serena rested her cheek on her hand. "I'm just trying to figure something out, and I'm a bit lost on what to do about it. I've looked through the library for some help and nothing"

"What are you looking for? Maybe I can help" Draco offered

Serena shook her head, "You can't. I have to do this on my own. It's not that big of a deal, I'm just frustrated is all"

Draco knew he couldn't push the matter further. Serena was a proud girl, and if she wanted to do it on her own she'd do it without anyone's help. So he just leaned closer and kissed her forehead lightly. "Don't worry, you'll figure it out soon enough. Don't think too much of it and it will naturally come to you"

Serena smiled at the sweet gesture. It still surprises her sometimes how Draco can be incredibly sweet and caring towards her. Draco Malfoy, the boy who was a big bully to everyone in school, the egotistical arse, the ex-Death eater! Is here in front of her and looking at her with eyes so gentle, the fires from the torches reflecting on his pupils. She was almost hypnotized by them that she had to say something to break free of it.

"Should we head back?" Serena asked 

"That's a shame, I thought we could probably snog here until Filch finds us and has a heart attack" 

"Draco!" Serena smacked his arm as he teasingly smiled at her. She stood up and walked away. Her heart was beating faster, and her cheeks were flushed with how Draco looked at her earlier. She definitely needs to figure out what she would do for him this Valentine's day, and it has to be amazing.

-------------------------------------------------------

It was 3 days before Valentine's day. Serena had wanted to ask Draco about spending a day with her on the occasion but somehow felt nervous. She also still didn't know what to do for him yet. She was hoping she would think of something sooner or later, but now she was hoping the idea would come to her sooner rather than later.

They had just finished their last class together and were on their way to the great hall to eat dinner. It was now or never since she didn't really want to ask him with Blaise around. It was embarrassing enough to do already, she didn't need an audience.

"Hey, Draco!" Serena called after him when she was left behind and Draco didn't notice.

Draco turned to wonder why she wasn't beside him anymore. "What is it? And why are you over there? "

"I was thinking about something, and I didn't realize I stopped walking. You seem bothered, what's wrong?" Serena asked, noticing his eyebrows were furrowed.

"It's no big deal, just that my test score is lower than expected"

"Ohhhh so Draco Malfoy does care about his grades," Serena teased

"Just make sure not to tell anyone" Draco replied sarcastically

Serena chuckled, but deep down her heart was beating fast. She didn't know why she was so nervous about asking Draco on a date. Every time she was about to ask him, words would not come out and her mouth would be closed shut.

"Okay Serena spit it out," Draco said crossing his arms

"What?" Serena asked, surprised.

"I know you've been wanting to tell me something since Monday, but for some reason, you can't. So tell me, what did you do?"

"What did I do? Why did you automatically assume I did something?!"

"Well, why can't you just tell me straight up if you didn't do anything?"

"Because I didn't!" Serena stormed off leaving Draco bewildered. This wasn't how she imagined the conversation to go. She knew she was being too sensitive, but it was already hard enough to ask Draco out, and he didn't make it any easier. 

Serena went straight to the great lake. There was a small pier there and when she, Toby, and Daisy were in their younger years at Hogwarts that's where they would go to have 'serious talks'. She didn't want to go to the usual places she hung out recently cause she didn't want Draco to find her.

She looked out towards the vast lake thinking if the giant squid was anywhere near, or if the merpeople were sleeping. She felt a cool breeze brush past her skin. This is just what she needed to clear her head.

"Well at least now I know I'm not good at dealing with this kind of pressure," She told herself.

Serena sat quietly for a few minutes when she suddenly had an idea. She stood up, running back inside the castle and towards the Slytherin common room to her room.

Once she reached her room, she had to catch a few more breaths. She took out her quill and parchment and quickly wrote a letter while still heavily breathing. Really, why did she have to run all the way here? She could have just walked!

She folded the paper and gave it to Pepper who was patiently waiting for her, standing on her owl stand.

"Thank you" Serena whispered to the owl while petting it before it flies away.

*Tap tap tap* 

The ginger-haired boy opened the window when he heard the owl knocking on his window.

"Thank you pepper!" He said as he gave her a treat.

"Honey! You have a message from Serena!" He called out while reading the letter in his hands.

"Oh really?! It's been a while since she last penned me a letter!" Daisy replied loudly as she was making her way to the room.

"George!" Daisy walked inside and snatched the letter from George's hand. "It's not very nice to snoop in other people's letter George! Serena will kill me if she found out you read it!"

George scratched his neck guiltily. "Sorry, I thought it was both for us.... and it's not. Don't worry I'll just pretend I didn't read anything. I'll head on down now and prepare some food and tea" George said, kissing Daisy's cheek before leaving her to read her friend's letter.

Daisy looked at him confused. Why would he prepare food if they just had dinner? She shrugged it off and gave another treat to Pepper before she sat down on the bed to read what Serena wrote her.

Dearest Daisy,

How are you? How's George? How's the Weasley Wizards Wheezes(still a mouthful by the way)? How's everything?! If you ask me how I am well I'm doing fine.... I've been studying hard, my grades are good, Blaise is doing well too, and so is Draco.....Draco... Draco... Draco....Oh Daisy, you have to help me! I have no idea what I'm going to do! I'm not used to these kinds of things! It's too long for me to explain here in this letter so I'll be sneaking out of Hogwarts later and go to your place at 10pm. I'll be travelling via the Floo Network. So make sure yours is clear and open! I can't wait to see you!

Love your bestest, most amazing friend,

Serena

P.S. Also, please prepare some food, I wasn't able to eat dinner earlier and I'm already starving. Love you!

Daisy smiled after she read the letter. She stood up to go down and help George prepare the food "We are going to need lots of food" She said.

Later at 10:15 in the evening, Daisy heard a thud and went to the living room to greet ther friend. "You're late," She said when she saw Serena dusting off some of the Floo powder off her.

"I know, I'm sorry. I had to make sure no one saw me sneak out" Serena replied.

They looked at each other for 2 seconds then ran to hug each other tightly. "I missed you so much," Daisy told her.

"I missed you too Daisy! I miss having a close girl-friend at school. Seriously, those boys can be too much to handle sometimes"

Daisy chuckled, she missed Serena very much too. She missed life at Hogwarts, sitting with her friends at the great hall. But at the same time, she was happy with George too.

"Me too Serena, more than you could ever know. C'mon, I know you're hungry, we've prepared a feast for you"

"Oh thank you so much, Daisy! I knew I could count on you! I really am starving, I feel like I can eat the whole feast you prepared"

Daisy laughed knowing that Serena might not be bluffing. They went to the dining table, George already seated and the three of them chatted away and talked about things that needed to be caught up. 

George still couldn't believe that Serena was actually dating Draco Malfoy. Draco was the worst to him and his family. Especially towards his brother Ron and his close friends, Harry, and Hermoine. But the way Serena talked about Draco Malfoy seemed like a totally different person. He had to admit that he wanted to see the improved Malfoy himself.

"Are you sure we're talking about the same Malfoy here?" George asked, not able to hold it in anymore. Daisy already warned him to be supportive of Draco and Serena's relationship, but Serena was also George's dear friend and he wouldn't want to see her get hurt. Especially because if she gets hurt then that means Daisy will get hurt too.

Daisy looked at him with warning in her eyes in which George just shrugged. "I'm sorry Serena, but I really do have a hard time believing how Draco is.... well.... nice. Every time I imagine him, I see his smug, snotty, annoying pale face looking down at me and my family."

"George" Daisy warned him. Serena came here because Daisy knew she was having problems and now her boyfriend is just adding more complications.

"I'm sorry Daisy but it's true! I care for you Serena, you're like my second sister. We're talking about Draco Malfoy here! You all saw what an arse he was, how he made some student's lives miserable. Serena, he could just be using you to gain his popularity back!"

"George that's enough!" Daisy stood up. She understood where George is coming from but really this wasn't the time for him to say all of this to Serena who was already feeling down! She looked over at her friend who was bowing her head and fiddling with her fingers. 

Daisy felt guilty and sat beside Serena placing an arm around her, "Serena, I'm sorry. George is just being protective but you know how guys can be so dense sometimes....He--"

"No, It's alright Daisy, I completely understand why George has doubts" Serena patted her friend's lap to reassure her. "Draco was a big bully before, he was never nice, always rude, he was a huge jerk, always arrogant and smug, heck, he was an ex-Death Eater for crying out loud!"

Serena now turned to George, looking at him straight in the eye and placed her hand on top of his. "He's still arrogant, he's still smug, he's still Malfoy..... But he's grown to be so much more. He has a horrible, sad, and dark past. He had a childhood no child should ever go through, he seemed to have everything yet nothing at the same time. 

He was lost and terribly misunderstood. And I know it's not an excuse for what he did in the past, but I hope you give him a chance. He is trying George.... so much. If he could, he would erase what he's done. So please, instead of seeing what he did in the past, look forward to what he will do in his future. People thought he would turn into his father when he grows older, and I can tell you know with great confidence that that will never happen"

George just looked at her silently. He took a deep breath and then smiled, "Bloody hell Serena, you really are smitten with Malfoy"

Daisy laughed and so did Serena. She felt embarrassed but she had to admit that indeed she was smitten with him.

"Okay! Now that we have that out of the way..." Daisy said, "Serena, let's go back to your dilemma."

Serena didn't say anything but nod, curious as to what her friend will say.

"I think you're overthinking it way too much"

"I am, am I?"

Both Daisy and George nodded at the same time.

"Like I said Daisy, I'm not used to this! I don't know how I could plan a date with Draco Malfoy! How do wizards go on a date?"

Serena paused and a sudden realization swept across her face.

"You've figured it our haven't you?" Daisy asked, knowing all too well what that facial expression meant.

"Yes! I can't believe I only thought of it now!"

"Where are you taking him then?" George asked, "oh wait let me guess! Malfoy likes quidditch, doesn't he? Are you taking him to a game?"

Serena shook her head

"A romantic stroll around Hogsmeade?"

Again, Serena shook her head

"A romantic stroll around Diagon Alley?"

"George, there's nothing romantic about Diagon Alley"

"Knockturn Alley then?

"What?! Of course not! Why would you even think we'd go there?"

"Well both of you are Slytherins, you two might enjoy taking a stroll there"

Daisy rolled her eyes, and Serena just looked at him with crossed arms while George just shrugged.

"Oh no," George began to say, "Please don't say you'll go to Madam Puddifoot's, it may be famous for couples but trust me, you'll just throw up with all the frill and overly love-theme."

"George, that's even worse than taking a romantic stroll in Knockturn Alley"

"Well, where are you going then? I've said most of the famous spots people go on a date. Unless you'll go farther from Hogwarts"

Serena smiled, "We won't be too far from Hogwarts, but we won't be near it either. And, you just mentioned famous wizarding spots. I'm going to take Draco Malfoy into a Muggle Date"

"A Muggle Date?" Daisy and George echoed in unison.

"Yes. A Muggle Date. We are going to do what a muggle couple would do on Valentine's day. I think it's the perfect way to make him learn more about my other life and the life of muggles"

"Good luck with that! Malfoy may have changed but I don't know if he can survive a whole day being surrounded but muggles, let alone survive a whole day without using magic" George doubted.

"No, I think it's a great idea. If Draco truly loves Serena then he should learn about her other side." Daisy said, defending her friend.

"Exactly! Well, it's getting late now, I have to get back. Thank you so much for the food and for you help guys"

"Anytime Serena" Daisy smiled.

When Serena left, Daisy and George sat on their sofa hugging each other.

"You know I'm not all that interested in gossip, but let me tell you, I cannot wait to hear their date," George said.

"Me too hun" Daisy replied smiling.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

281K 6.9K 28
Pretending to be in a relationship with Draco Malfoy to get back at your ex might have not been the smartest idea you ever had. Especially now where...
4.6K 94 37
Yn Malfoy is draco Malfoy's sister and she is coming to Hogwarts but she is different she has a secret that can get people killed and she gets take...
213K 6.8K 75
"Draco, look at me..." Y/N touched my face softly and I stared down at her. Tears welled from deep inside and I tried but couldn't stop them from cou...
27.3K 280 51
Draco & Y/n story. A romance between Draco and Y/n (You). You are a 16 years old just moved from Italy at your old Witch school to start a new life...