The Dark Edge Chronicles - Ha...

By bloodsword

Enter a world where Humanity and her mutant offspring, the Dark Edge, live side by side, separated only by an... More

Chapter 1: Dawnscape
Rough Encounter
Preacher
Chapter 2: Enter the Psionic
Underbelly
Chapter 3: Shadow Runners
Braddox
Lilith
Confrontation
Aftermath
Chapter 5: Comrades at Arms
Jeriko
Chapter 6: The Hunt
Regrets and Memories
Nighttime Recon
Cutting Things Close
Chapter 7: Snoopers
Enemy Reinforcements
Into the Inner Sanctum
Wet Banks
Chapter 8: Unlocking the Door
History of the Brotherhood
Accessing the Banks
Chapter 9: Fall of the Preacher Man
Retribution
Chapter 10: Enter the Hardwire
On the Trail
Chapter 11: Psionic Nation
Rebels
Chapter 12: Twists and Complications
Lilith, Revisited
Chapter 13: Hardwires Hunting
Vampiric Extraction
Dodging a Bullet
Chapter 14: Into the Lion's Den
Penetration
Inside the Lion's Den
Chapter 15: Face to Face with the Lion
Gone Fishing
Chapter 16: Backlash
Birth of a Nation
Chapter 17: Sword in the Stone
Sanctuary
Chapter 18: The Table Round
Mindfire Redux
Shell Game
Chapter 19: Crash and Burn
A Dark Future
Leveling the Field
Chapter 20: The First Gambit
Developing Teeth and Claws
Final Showdown
Chapter 21: The Other Side of the Coin
Investigation
Chapter 22: The Titan Awakes
Confrontation
Chapter 23: Dueling with the Devil
Chapter 24: Shadows Revealed
A Dangerous Plan
Chapter 25: Counterstrike
A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Chapter 26: Within Striking Distance
Redemption has a New Face
Chapter 27: Shadow of the Beast
Chapter 28: New Allies
A Novel Wrinkle
Chapter 29: Plots within Plots
Putting the Pieces Together
Chapter 30: The Qos Viran
Q Branch
Chapter 31: Hardwired Confusion
Mopping Up and Taking Measure
Chapter 32: Following a Cold Trail
Equipping the Strike Team
Chapter 33: Dancing with the Dragon
Setting up the Test Run
Unwanted Small Talk
Chapter 34: Future Shock
An Untenable Situation
Quaydrim
Chapter 35: The Reavers' End
Unleashing the God Fire
Chapter 36: A Dark Discovery
Fire and Blood
Chapter 37: Checkmate
Gaining Access
Chapter 38: The Hunters becomes the Hunted
Polarity
On the Defensive
Chapter 39: Moebius Inversion
Evac
Chapter 40: Homecoming
Diversion
Chapter 41: Retribution
Clean up and Consolidation
Chapter 42: A Momentary Pause
Return to Avalon
Standoff
Chapter 43 : Anatomy of a Storm Wolf
Inversion
Lull before the Storm
Chapter 44: December 31, 2019
Chapter 45: The Final Gambit
Chapter 46: Armageddon
Time to Trigger
Unexpected Resistence
Chapter 47: Last Stand
Dogs of War
Chapter 48: Attack of the Wolf Pack
Fallout
Epilogue: A Parting of Ways

Chapter 4: Storm Clouds

1.1K 173 5
By bloodsword

Mordecai carefully looked around as the Lilith led him inside, the doors closing silently behind them.  Beyond the doors was a simple corridor, leading to a handful of rooms on either side with an elevator at the very end. 

It was as he suspected: the building on top was just a cap on a much larger underground complex that probably dropped a good eight or nine stories beneath the street, spreading out as far as a square kilometre with this building at the center.  And, if this stronghold was like the others he had come across in his travels, it indeed was a veritable fortress, with armed guards everywhere in addition to technological countermeasures and security systems.  To take such a place, the vampires' enemies would literally have to dig them out.  Not a pleasant thought, with Normals teeming all around, sharks waiting for a sign of weakness to pounce.

Of course those sharks weren't aware that they had such prey beneath their feet.  Nor were they aware that their prey, more often than not, had teeth and big ones at that, taking every opportunity they could to take a bite of a shark as it passed by.

Mordecai frowned as soft music touched his ears, a blend of Far Eastern and African rhythms.  It never occurred to him that vampires would like music.  And speaking of the blood-sucking mutants, he could find none of them on this side of the door.

"Most of your people must be underground," he mused out loud, earning a look from the Lilith.  "Because I'm not seeing ..."

Cutting through Mordecai's words with a razor's edge, the snarl of an explosion, ripping through the air close by, shook the building with its naked force.

"What the ..."  the Lilith began, a frown on her face.  Then she was sagging roughly against Mordecai, her strength stolen by the psyken wave that abruptly washed through the building on the heels of the explosion.  'The Brotherhood.'  The big man silently raged.  'Didn't take their bloodhounds long to find me!'

"What's ... what's happening?"  the Lilith managed to stammer as the air split with the sound of automatic weapons fire and the duller, static crunch sounds of shockwaves hammering their way through space.  An instant later, a soft chime began to sound through the building, accompanied by a woman's voice speaking quickly in a strange language.  Both repeated themselves in odd counterpoint to the explosions and weapon fire outside.

"It would appear that the Brotherhood either found me faster than I anticipated."  Mordecai rasped, pushing the female vampire to her feet, where she swayed unsteadily.  "Or they found your stronghold on their own and are launching a preemptive strike.  Either way, you're in deep shit."

"Indeed," the Lilith rasped, shaking her head to clear the last cobwebs still fogging her senses.  "I must inform the Elders."  Hard eyes swung up to regard Mordecai without wavering.  "It would appear your shelter has been nullified, psionic.  I would suggest leaving as soon as possible, before the M'tada mistake you for one of the Brotherhood and try to cut you down."

Mordecai nodded and turned on his heel to make his way back towards the front doors.  Before he could go a step, however, the Lilith's hand was on his arm.

"That would lead you right into the fire, friend," she hissed.  Mordecai's jaw worked as he contemplated rendering aide to the guards, his original intent.  'Hmmm, maybe she's right,' he silently concluded after a brief moment of thought.  'That might not be my best course of action!'  Relaxing slightly he let her pull him back as her other hand pointed out a second exit to the side of the elevator.

"That will lead you directly to the back of the building.  A far better choice of escape routes."

"I would tend to agree."  Mordecai grinned tightly and, with that, he quickly stepped to the door.

He was taking the door's handle in his hand when the Lilith abruptly spoke up.

"Regardless of the Brotherhood's attack, psionic, I'm holding you to our agreement.  You will let me taste your blood once the Brotherhood is destroyed."

Mordecai looked over his shoulder, his smile vulpine.

"I would expect no less.  You'll have that taste, vampire.  You have my word on it!"  And then he was gone through the doorway.

The Lilith gazed after the man in black for a brief moment, her own thoughts churning.  For some odd reason, she believed him.  And, considering the amount of power she could sense brewing in the man, the Brotherhood is in for a bit of a surprise when the man in black takes them on!  Then she was abruptly dismissing him as the building shook from repeated shockwave impacts.  There would be time enough to ponder the big psionic later.  Right now, she had to help her M'tada protect the stronghold!

Stepping out of the back of the vampires' stronghold, Mordecai found himself in a narrow alley, its mouth some five metres distant.  He quickly set out for it without a backward glance.  Psionics and vampires had been battling for centuries; the Lilith's people should be able to defend themselves sufficiently to avoid absolute destruction.

So that just left his own well being to consider.  And right now he had to get out from beneath the dampening field, or risk using his depleted resources in an attempt to create a bore portal, a type of teleportation that would cut through the dampening field.  Generally such a portal demanded a lot of psyken to accomplish and he was running with a half a tank as it was.  He could do it, but would then risk being without defense if he ran into trouble on the other end.

Those thoughts and others were tumbling still through his mind when Mordecai reached the alley's mouth a moment later.  Pausing slightly as he did a passive scan of the nearby area, he then leaned out into the road beyond to take a quick look either way.

He managed to snatch his head back just in time to avoid it getting taken off by the mass of shockwaves that hissed through the air where his head just was.  Their source was nearly a dozen movers that were hustling down the sidewalk towards his location, faces set with determination.  'Burn me to ash, a trap!'  Mordecai thought darkly.

It made sense: the attack on the front of the vampire enclosure to flush him out, with movers waiting for him to bolt.  All they had to do was close the jaws and he would be had.  The man in black's face tightened.  They would have to be a helluva lot faster to catch him like that!

Then, with abrupt speed, he bolted out of the alleyway and charged headlong down the street, tightening his shields along his back as he put it towards the advancing Brotherhood movers.  And he was immediately rewarded as he felt a number of shockwaves fold around him before his neuron armor and tight personal shields shed them off into the asphalt beneath his feet, the force of the transference making the tarmac buckle and crack.

Fortunately for the big man, he was moving fast enough to avoid being tripped up by the pavement's failure.  Still Mordecai was staggered.  As the Brotherhood movers got the range on him, their shockwaves were getting more and more powerful.

With a snarl of discharge and a roaring explosion, a section of wall right behind Mordecai erupted outward, ripped to powder by a shockwave of great power that just missed the sprinting hardwire.  'Fools!'  he silently raged, head down as he ran on.  'Even if they had swept the area clear of Normals, all this destruction is going to bring them back and down on us fast!  Perhaps it's time I think of making a stand and quickly bringing this confrontation to an end, low energy levels or no!'

Whether it was the whistle as it passed through the air, or the sensation of something large approaching, Mordecai had just enough time to skid to a halt before the city bus, held airborne by powerful weaves of psyken energy, screamed by just overhead.  An eyeblink later it was slamming into the building just beyond before dropping with a ground-shaking impact onto the sidewalk. 

Mordecai blinked slowly, staring at the bus and its newest resting-place, the hard impact twisting the ten-metre vehicle like a pretzel.  'Well!  Looks like they're getting a bit old-fashioned now, using objects to try and stop me!'  he thought darkly.  If he had gone only a dozen more steps, it would have landed directly on top of him!

Then he was coughing as the dust stirred up by the wall's destruction when the bus struck it, swirled around him, caught in the backdraft of the bus's passage.  'Better get the hell out of here!'  he thought, jogging around the wreckage to continue on down the sidewalk at a full sprint once again.

A quick glance over his shoulder revealed a car slowly being lifted off the street as the movers ran by it.  The next projectile, by all appearances.  Time to find that place to make a stand.

Again the missile's abrupt arrival was heralded by the concussive wave of sound as it was pushed brutely through the air.  And again Mordecai managed to come to a staggering halt to avoid getting it dropped on his head.  This time however, as the dust and debris washed around him, he could see that it was much, much closer this time.  The movers were beginning to anticipate where he was going to stop at the point of hearing the car come close.  The next one may very well find its mark.

With the car still shuddering from its abrupt meeting with the sidewalk and road in front of him, Mordecai made a quick scan, both with passive psionic senses and his eyes and ears, looking for that place where he could bring this whole thing to an end.  There!  What looked to be a dead end alley, with a rather large building standing at its back.  'Perfect.'  He thought darkly and, head down, sprinted hard for it.

Watching the renegade bolt across the road, the leading mover jerked his hand up, pulling the tight knot of Brotherhood psionics to a halt.

"Think he's making a break for it?"  asked the mover that staggered to a halt beside him, winded.  It was she that had launched the car and so was nearly drained by her efforts.

"Dunno," the lead mover replied.  "But the map says that's a dead end."  He smiled wolfishly.  "I think the renegade just made fatal mistake!"  Then, louder as he turned his head to address the others.  "Let's move in!  Keep your shields up tight and pull in as much energy as you can handle.  We're going to take this bastard out right now!"  And then they were charging en masse across the road, intent on the dead end alley's mouth.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 15 27
Guardians: those who have stepped forward to protect the various nonhuman races from their human enemies. Few have emerged, but the war has only just...
44 0 8
Humanity's desire to develop teleportation has gone horribly wrong... An experiment in Eurasia has ripped a hole in-between two plains of existence;...
598 17 20
To save their home, they must destroy another home. To save their planets, they must destroy Earth. But, as the humans are nearing defeat, a girl wil...
1K 89 18
{WARNING: This is an original story of mine, and has nothing to do with any fandoms. I understand if you don't want to read it, but it would mean a l...