Improve Your Writing

By HaleySulich

A quick guide on fiction writing. As a content editor, I've read many manuscripts over the years. In this gui... More

Author's Note
Table of Contents
2. Character Development
3. Character Development
3.5 Character Development
4. Character Development
5. Character Development
6. Character Development
7. Dialogue
8. Dialogue
9. Dialogue
10. Dialogue
11. World-building
12. World-building
13. World-building
14. World-building
15. World-building
16. Plot/Pacing
17. Plot/Pacing
18. Plot/Pacing
19. Plot/Pacing
20. Multiple POVs
21. Multiple POVs
22. Multiple POVs
23. Multiple POVs
Author's Note

1. Character Development

672 44 1
By HaleySulich

When editing manuscripts, the main thing I look at in characters is whether they are active or passive. An active character makes decisions and moves the story forward. Active characters change throughout the story, influenced by the decisions they've made. This progression of their character is called a "character arc."

A passive character is the opposite. Passive characters do not make many decisions to influence the story, and their character arcs are non-existent/very small. These characters tend to fall flat and can stall the story.

Your protagonist (the main character) will most likely be an active character. If they aren't an active character, chances are your story will be slow and won't have much progression. If your protagonist isn't making decisions to reach their goal, the reader will not have any reason to cheer them on during their journey. (This often results in readers putting the book down and moving on.) Strive for an active protagonist to keep your readers engaged.

It may seem like passive characters are bad, but they aren't--they have their own roles too. Passive characters tend to be the secondary characters. They can appear as a big part of the protagonist's life, or they can be a character that is only seen once or twice throughout the story.

Ultimately, you'll want to ensure your protagonist is an active character with a strong arc.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.5K 5.1K 34
OPEN! Join a community of passionate readers, where the love of literature meets a welcoming and professional atmosphere.
5.2K 155 2
Hiroki has recently discovered that the four women he once knew and loved, his girlfriend (Nao), sister (Koneko), best friend (Ayumu), and mom (Kaede...
5.8K 773 59
Hello, my fellow winter lovers! Do you want your story to get noticed? Do you want your story to get more recognition? Then, this is the place. Take...
103K 191 11
first date แ€™แ€พแ€ฌ First time แ€•แ€ซแ€žแ€ฝแ€ฌแ€ธแ€แ€šแ€บ