Our Fooling Game

By CriticallyIntense

Percy Flynn is the school's golden boy that everyone loves, he has a girlfriend, friends he loves and the one... More

Our Fooling Game
001
002
003
004
005
006
007
008
009
010
011
012
014
015
016
017
018
019
020
021
022
023
024
025
026
027
028
029
030
031
032
033
034
035
036
037
038
Up Next
Epilogue - part 1
Epilogue - part 2
New Exclusive chapter

013

21.1K 1.1K 595
By CriticallyIntense

Spencer Caldwell

I was somewhat happy today. I didn't know why but it felt like a little weight has been lifted off my chest. I didn't sleep last night though, I was afraid I'd sleep, wake up and realize that everything with Percy was a dream.

When he said he wanted to be friends with me in his car, I didn't completely believe him, especially when he went ahead to avoid me but yesterday I confirmed it. He was back to his usual self, joking and laughing with me. And he even agreed to complete my home together. I don't know what it was but it felt great to have someone on my side and maybe now Paxton would see that I'm not really a monster and actually forgive me.

Today I was going to buy supplies for the house and I was really looking forward to it. I was going to buy things my mum loved; I couldn't wait to make the house ready for her. Then I would go visit her with pictures, I was pretty sure she would love it and want to come home more quickly.

"You're smiling," Some guy with blond hair and too many freckles to count said, pulling out a chair to sit beside me. He peeped into the textbook that was open before me. "What's funny in Trig?"

"Um..." I narrowed my eyes as I tried to place a name to the face. I've seen him before, a lot of times, waved and greeted in the hallway. "Uh..."

He chuckled, "It's Truman, and we met at Tom's party."

"Oh," I said even though I still have not remembered him, after squinting my eyes at him for several seconds, I finally got a flash of his face. I was lazily drinking whatever was in my hands as the party went on around me, thinking about the whereabouts of Percy and if I could just text him and go home but I didn't get to that before this guy approached me. I thought he was going to ask me what I was doing at the party or who invited me, or if I was looking for my next 'victim' but instead he just introduced himself and asked what I was doing alone. That was all I got. I know we struck up a conversation though and it was slightly pleasant.

"Oh," I said again, this time more sure. "How exactly did we part that night?"

"Your friend showed up," He said, brows furrowing unpleasantly. "He didn't look particularly pleased with us talking. Especially since you were drunk."

I bit my lip so I wouldn't smile. Percy could be amazingly cute when he was all concerned about me and I could just imagine him scowling at the innocent boy. "I'm sorry if he did something to scare you."

"Nah, it's good he cares." He said and he had no idea how true his words were. "So what really is funny about Trig?"

The teacher appeared just then but Truman and I talked a bit still. I was good with making friends, with or without alcohol but something has changed. Now, I'd rather be alone. The less people I get close with, the better. It was not because I was scared I'd hurt them, or 'run' them over - that wasn't me and it was a once in a lifetime mistake that would never repeat itself. It was the other way around, I was scared they'd hurt me. They'd leave; that was a sure thing and when they do, it'll hurt.

Now there were just two people capable of hurting me, my mum and Percy. I really hoped the time they would, would never come. There was just so much I could take.

Truman didn't get the subtle hint that I wanted to be alone. I was sure he was pretty disappointed that I wasn't the same as the drunk guy that chatted his ear off. I was impressed with him though, even though he was clearly the timid type he managed to keep a slightly one sided conversation with me. I wasn't mad or annoyed at him; I actually liked the fact that he was making the effort to be friends with me. I didn't even know when we made it to the back of the lunch line and when Percy approached us.

"Hey you," Percy said, stopping beside me, outside the line. If we were closer, the lunch lady would've frowned at him. "How's it goes?"

"Huh?" I raised a brow, not getting what he just said. Instead of clearing himself up, he also raised a brow back at me. "Um..." I turned to Truman who was behind me but his head was down, staring at his feet. I was on my own then. "It goes... good?"

"Great," He put his arm around my shoulder. "Let's go."

"Go where and what about lunch?" I showed him my empty tray.

He looked at the moving line, squeezing his lip in thought. "Fine, get lunch and come over, okay?" He glanced at Truman. "Alone."

Before I could ask over where and why, Percy was already on the move. The line continued moving and when it was my turn, I got the soggy pasta. All that waiting for this trash, ugh. I was on my way to my usual table when Percy waved me over. I stared at him in confusion until I finally got it.

He wanted me in his seat— he seat where popular seniors and juniors were sat on. The seat I was chased from.

"What are you waiting for?" Truman asked nudging me with his shoulder.

"Uh..."

"Nervous?" He chuckled at my expression. "Don't worry, I don't think your friend is going to let anything happen to you. Go on."

I inhaled a great amount of air which I was taking in as courage. "I'll see you then," I didn't wait for his response as my legs started moving going over to Percy's seat. I just hope I wasn't making a huge mistake.

Percy smiled as I got closer and moved so there was enough space for me to seat beside him. As soon as I sat down, all discussions seized and the table became silent. Percy cleared his throat demanding all attention. "Guys, Spencer's back with us. He's a friend and I need him to be treated as such. Mistakes and rash decisions were made in the past but that's past us now. Mess with him and you mess with me."

"Welcome back to the hood, Spence." A short guy with a buzz cut, Henry, I think said.

Percy sighed, "We're not a hood, Henry."

"Then a cult? Gang?"

"None."

"Actually," I spoke up, "it's not wrong if you guys are considered a gang. A gang, apart from criminals, is a group who spend--" I stopped when I noticed all eyes on me. Percy was smiling at me.

Melody, Percy's friend smiled and stretched her hand out to me. "It's great to have you back. At least I won't be surrounded by dullards all day."

"Hey!"

*

"Where's your truck?" Percy asked as we make it out of the school's building.

"Still in the Mechanic," I answered, stuffing my math book inside my back as we walked.

"Okay, so I'll give you a ride to grab your supplies at the market."

"No, Percy, there's no need for that. I can take myself."

"I'd rather give you a ride Spencer and I have nothing else to do so--"

"Fine, thank you." Then I remembered. "But I'll stop by the hospital first."

He stopped dead in his tracks, "What, are you feeling any pains?"

"No, not for myself," Pause. "I want to see my mother."

"Oh. Okay then, no problem." He nodded and we both walked to his car. But instead of going over to his driver's seat, he moved to the passenger's side and opened the door.

I looked at him amused. "What are you doing?"

Percy blinked at me, and then I watched his neck turn red as he immediately closed the door back. "Nothing. I-I was just..." He walked back to his side. "Just nothing."

"O-kay," I drawled smiling to myself as we both got into the car. "You know, sometimes, I don't mind the door being opened for me."

His mouth opened up a couple times as he turned shades darker. Then he pulled out the lot. "I wasn't opening the door for you, okay? I was just testing the handle, nothing new there!"

"Fine, fine," I said raising my hands up. "I believe you, now drive slowly!"

"You better believe me. Why ever would I open the door for you? It's not like your hands broken or you're..." He trailed off, glancing at me. "Well, I didn't do it."

"Okay."

"Okay."

I smiled and turned on the radio, mercy by Shawn Mendes blaring out. I drummed my palms over my thighs. "Oh please have mercy on me. Take it easy on my soul!"

I looked over at Percy and he was also smiling. Then I snapped my fingers at him and after sighing like he didn't want to, he joined in. "And even though you don't mean to hurt me. I need you to set me free! Oh baby please have..."

"Mercy on me!"

We sang and I don't think either of us knew when we finally made it to the hospital. Percy easily parked into a spot and turned off the radio. "Okay, we're here."

"Yeah." All joy and excitement from singing drained off me like a bathtub whose plug was removed as I looked forward to seeing my mother. They didn't let me see her everyday else I'd be coming every time. I hope she was better and I was really afraid of what I might see when I go in there. I really hope she's better and not worst. I turned to Percy. "Are you coming in?"

He just looked at me and eventually asked. "Do you want me too?" I shrugged in response. "You've not seen her in a while. I'm certain you guys have a lot to catch up on. I'll wait here."

I nodded. I wanted him to come along with me, be the thing rooting me back to reality but I also wanted to be alone with her. "Sure. I'll see you."

Percy nodded, "Good luck."

I got out of the car and as I made it closer to the hospital I noticed my legs were shaking. Everything would be fine, Spencer, I told myself a million times until I managed to trick myself into believing it,

____________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.8K 834 15
Seventeen years old Sam Adams doesn't do well with people. He prefers staying home on the weekends and staying away from parties. He has only one fri...
152K 4.1K 40
18-year-old Gabriel Knight knows who he is. Quarterback of the high school football team, senior, good-looking ladykiller, and just downright popular...
7.2M 261K 42
Nathen Dawson is so in love with his girlfriend, Tracy. The two of them are as happy as any couple can be, and there is literally nothing that can ge...
822K 27.7K 33
Alexander walker and Dylan Ross. Two inseparable and most importantly 'straight' best friends who just like to mess around. What could go wrong betwe...