The Blood Wolves | Vol.3, The...

Oleh ldjwrites

While Sebastian and the others are still reeling from the events of the siege in Thania, the Order of the Bla... Lebih Banyak

☾ foreword ☽
prologue.
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
☾ glossary ☽
☾ author's note ☽
☾ vol. 4 | the storm tower - out now! ☽
☾ also by L. D. Jones ☽
☾ graphics & more ☽

14.

286 32 16
Oleh ldjwrites

Naidini's dwelling was separated from the rest of the city by another set of tall, wooden spikes. More guards patrolled these grounds, their heads on a constant swivel and their weapons at the ready. Sebastian even noticed a few of them sported. Some of their armor plates were dented and scratched.

He realized the chieftain's troubles were greater than he thought.

"You sure do have a lot of security," Remy pointed out. "What d'you need us for?"

Siren chastised him for his question but Naidini didn't seem to mind.

She smiled at him and continued leading the group through the walls. "While I have a lot of friends, I have a lot of enemies as well. I am willing to take all the help I can get. I know it is hard to come by these days."

As they passed through the barrier surrounding her base of operations, Sebastian caught a glimpse of the spectacular sight ahead of them. He whistled in awe.

A circular ravine surrounded it like a waterless moat, undergrowth climbing out of the chasm like desperate arms trying to climb to safety. In the center grew a massive tree. It was the biggest tree he had ever seen. Wooden balconies leading inside of the hollowed-out trunk stretched off from the huge, willowy branches. Sebastian could see people looking down at him from the high platforms.

Their faces were blank, their eyes devoid of emotion. He shuddered slightly and averted his gaze to the ground.

Things in Vashara must have been worse than he thought.

He lifted his head and continued gazing at the wooden behemoth ahead of him, careful not to make eye contact with those above him.

Had it not been for the cloaking charms put around the hidden city, the tree could have been seen from miles away. Fortunately for them, only those within the charm's barriers could see its glory.

A stone bridge stretched across the chasm between them and the circle of land the tree grew on. Decorative archways with thorny vines, colorful flowers, and fluorescent, blinking lights that reminded Sebastian of fireflies adorned the walkway.

"This is incredible," Imogen said as she craned her neck to take in the full height of the tree.

"We call it the Great Tree. The goddess Terrun generously planted this tree for her first follower and chosen champion, Oja Oseda. It was turned into a shrine for the goddess, and eventually a home for House Oseda. It has since become tradition for each chieftain to live within its walls," Naidini explained. Her expression darkened as she gazed at her home. "This tree is more than a home for me. It is my sanctuary. My guardian. Nuri and his forces cannot attack me here."

Sebastian nodded slowly. "So...you hide here?"

She snorted at his question. "I do not hide. I survive."

"Sounds a lot like hiding to me."

Jorgen shot the boy a sharp glare. "Ignore him, Naidini. We know you're doing everything you can to protect your house."

The woman nodded at him. "And it's Chieftain Naidini. Or 'your majesty'. Whichever you prefer."

The man narrowed his eyes at her.

Sebastian eyed them both with an air of curiosity.

The group journeyed across the bridge. Upon reaching the halfway point, Sebastian squinted at the walls containing the shadow-filled abyss around them. Huge masses of vines and bushes grew from the stone walls. His eyes widened as he noticed wooden structures stretching from various points. Most of them looked like small houses. Wooden overpasses connected them together, creating an entire grid of walkways like wires.

"People live down there?" Ajax asked.

Naidini nodded. "It has become unsafe for many of my followers in the city. Nuri's actions have caused a civil war throughout Vashara. His quest for power has divided my people. With the Order of the Black Lotus and House Tenebris supporting him, it is only a matter of time until he makes an attempt on my life." She sighed. "He has many members of my house convinced I sympathize with Ordinaires."

"Do you?" Imogen asked with an air of hopefulness.

Sebastian gave her a sideways glance.

"I sympathize with all life," Naidini replied. "I do not agree with Thorian's ideals. There are other ways we can bring magic back to the light. Enslaving and dominating an entire group of people who don't know we exist is not the way we should handle things."

Sebastian agreed. His father's way of thinking was radical and destructive. He thought he was doing magicians a service; a good deed. But all he was doing was causing more death and anguish—to everyone.

He wished there was a way to convince the man that there was another way.

But that was out of the question. Thorian was far too gone to be reasoned with. The only way to stop his reign of tyranny and destruction was to end him. For good.

Naidini guided the group out of the bridge and onto the land around the great tree. A large entrance had been carved out at the base, serving as a doorway. The thick grass below him gathered around his ankles. He felt like he was trudging through water. Though, Naidini and her guards seemed to not be having any difficulty. It was then that he noticed they weren't wearing shoes.

Walking throughout a forest without any protection on his feet sounded like torture. Shuddering, he cringed at the thought of him stepping on a rock or a bug.

A curtain of vines covered the tall doorway leading into the Great Tree. Sebastian passed through the curtain of grass that covered the doorway. Pushing it apart as he went, his eyes were met with the dull light coming from the lanterns hanging on the hallowed walls.

A huge, circular rug lined the floor. Sebastian noticed it was stitched out of multiple skins from different animals. To his side, he spotted everyone else moving up a set of stairs spiraling up the sides of the inner walls of the tree.

Looking up, he noticed there were more floors above them that the stairs snaked through. He followed behind the group as they made their ascent. Beside him, Imogen wore a grin that nearly covered her entire face. The Ordinaire seemed to be having the time of her life.

"This is so cool," she said. "I mean, Thania was cool too—minus the sirens who tried to eat you—but this place is so much better."

"Glad you like it," Sebastian said dryly.

"Where exactly are you taking us, Chieftain Naidini?" Siren asked from the front of the group.

"Our council hall is located on one of the higher floors," the woman answered. Her guards trailed behind her, holding up the ends of her flowing, white dress so that it didn't touch the floor. "You came to discuss my protection, yes? I must fill you all in on what is happening here."

A few grueling minutes later, Sebastian and the others arrived in the council hall. Thin rays of light stabbed through the small holes dotting the ceiling and curved walls. The mark of House Oseda—a circle with various animals in front of a massive tree—had been carved into the center of the polished, wood floor.

At the end of the room sat a throne crafted out of blackened wood, animal hides, and old roots. Hanging from one of the armrests was a necklace with a copper-colored jewel glowing in the middle. Naidini strutted over to it and sat down. Her guards settled in on either side of her.

The chieftain clasped her hands over her lap as everyone else took up places around the room. "Again, I would like to thank you all for offering your help. I fear that without all, Nuri and Thorian would have eventually overwhelmed me and my soldiers."

Jorgen stepped forward with his chest puffed out. "Of course. We've lost too many of our previous council members to that monster. We won't lose anymore."

Sebastian rolled his eyes at the man. It was clear the man was showing off. He wasn't quite sure why, but an inkling of an idea was budding in the back of his head.

Naidini nodded at Jorgen before turning to one of her guards. "Emmanuel."

The sentry, no older than twenty, nodded in reply. "Yes, chieftain?"

"Please show our guests the map of the city."

"Of course." He bowed before walking over to his house's insignia carved in the center of the floor. He knelt before it and held his hand over the symbol. Closing his eyes, he began chanting a spell. The mark in his palm brightened with an amber glow; soon, the decorative circle below it did the same.

The light filled every crevice and nook of the carving until there was nothing left but a circle of yellowish light. From the bright glow rose a holographic, highly detailed landscape of Vashara and the lands around it. Emmanuel rose to his feet and rejoined his chieftain by her throne.

The map he had conjured portrayed every little detail of the city, ranging from the smallest tree to the tallest mountain lurking in the outskirts. Sebastian had never seen a spell like that before. His father preferred to utilize his chessboard-like map for strategizing.

"Thank you," Naidini said. She pointed at a lower portion of the map, which was surrounded by forests and a low range of mountains. "Nuri has secured Ingozi, the southernmost section of the city. Many of the mountain tribes have sided with him, making it easy for him to secure that area. Apart from the Great Tree, Ingozi is the most important section of Vashara. It is where our temples are. It is where we train our magicians. I would like to see it return to House Oseda."

Jorgen crossed his arms over his chest. "He has the entire area?"

She see-sawed her hand. "Give or take. I have some fighters out there, but they are hopelessly outnumbered by his forces. The arrival of Thorian's forces hasn't helped. With that man's help and influence, he is sure to take the rest of the city within a matter of days if we do not intervene soon."

Ajax nodded. "Then send us out there. We'll take care of it."

Sebastian nodded in agreeance. They needed to get onto the battlefield as soon as possible. After all, they had the element of surprise on their side. It was in their best interest to use it before their enemies learned they had arrived in Vashara.

Remy rubbed the back of his neck. "Shouldn't we...I dunno...wait a bit? Rushing out there kinda seems like a good way to get ourselves killed."

"The boy is right," Jorgen said. "We can't just go out there free-willy. It'll be suicide. We'll draft up a strategy and go from there." The general faced Naidini. "How many warriors does Nuri have?"

She rubbed her chin for a moment. "Maybe one hundred? With Thorian's added forces, though, as he arrived with his Shades and the creatures allied with him, that number is surely higher now."

Sebastian cursed under his breath. He hadn't been anticipating such large numbers.

"My advisors have suggested we create multiple teams of people and send them out to various areas throughout the city," Naidini revealed.

"You want us to split up?" Confusion exploded onto his face. "That's what my father wants us to do. He'll pick us off like tiny insects if we do that."

Siren narrowed her ocean-blue eyes at him. "Or maybe he's expecting us to put all our eggs in one basket. It's not a terrible idea, Sebastian. Forming multiple teams will help us cover more ground and it will allow us to hit our enemy from multiple points."

Sebastian blinked at her, slightly taken aback.

He figured she must have been accompanying Remy in the library during his study sessions.

Ajax arched an orange brow at the girl. "When did you become a master of strategy?"

"I'm not just a healer, you know," she replied with a sly smile. "I've got other skills too."

Ajax shrugged, showing he meant no harm with his question. Beside him, Remy patted his shoulder and chuckled.

"If you don't mind, Naidini—" Jorgen began.

"Chieftain."

Jorgen cleared his throat and rolled his eyes, earning a slight smile from the woman. "Chieftain. I'd like to divide the groups."

She waved her hand, causing the golden bangles and chains coiled around her wrist to jangle. "Suit yourself, general." She stood up from her throne and headed towards the exit of the hall. "I will have a feast prepared to celebrate your arrival. Then, we can discuss patrols and whatnot."

"A feast?" Remy rubbed his hands as he grinned. "Er, is it really the best time for something like that right now?"

Sebastian agreed with the boy. While a feast sounded great, it was a bit odd to throw one with so much danger looming on the horizon.

No one else seemed to care, though, as the rest of the group ignored Remy's question. Naidini promptly left the room with her guards, most likely to prepare their meal.

Sebastian faced Jorgen, who was beginning to section off his warriors into small groups. His face fell as he realized he and Imogen were the last ones to be placed anywhere.

Oh, come on. Don't leave me with her.

He wasn't in the mood to babysit anyone, especially if they were going to be battling his father's forces soon.

With a smug look on his face, Jorgen sauntered over to the black-haired magician. "Since you decided to bring her, you're in charge of watching over her and making sure she does her job. Understood."

Imogen cleared her throat and placed her hands on her hips. "Um, excuse me? I don't need anyone watching over me."

While that wasn't necessarily true, Sebastian felt inclined to agree with her. He didn't need to be babysitting her. He needed to be out in the field fighting Shades. That was the only reason why he tagged along on the expedition to Vashara in the first place.

But, judging by the look on Jorgen's face, arguing would get him nowhere.

His shoulders slumped as he sighed. "Fine," he grumbled. "What's our job?"

"You two will patrol the area around the great tree at night with the rest of your friends—minus Ajax."

"And what will you be doing?"

Jorgen puffed out his chest. "I'll be leading a team into the city, clearing out any threats in the area and scouting out where Nuri and your father are hiding."

Sebastian grit his teeth. "You mean to tell me I'm going to be stuck inside this tree while you and Ajax get to have all the fun?"

"Pretty much."

"You have to take me out there," he pleaded. "If you come across my father, I need to be the one to take him down."

"That's cute, boy," Jorgen said. "You think you can defeat Thorian? The man killed Achilles Washington and Sirus Lombardi. It's going to take someone of a high caliber to take him down."

"And you think that someone is you?"

"You underestimate my abilities, boy. I didn't become the general of the Eldai by chance."

"Could've fooled me."

Jorgen scowled and stomped up to him. With his brows knit together, he pressed a heavy finger against Sebastian's chest. "I didn't ask for your input. I gave you a job and I expect you to carry it out. Either you follow my orders, or I'll find someone who can. Do I make myself clear?"

With his jaw clenched, he replied with a steely glare.

"Do I make myself clear?" the man repeated, his tone reminiscent of his father's.

Sebastian grumbled something in response before crossing his arms over his chest. Jorgen nodded curtly and marched off towards his men, who were beginning to make their way out of the room and back downstairs.

Beside him, Imogen shifted her feet awkwardly. "Well...that went well."

Sebastian kept quiet.

"At least we won't die. Probably."

"I need to be out doing something," he whined. "Looking after you isn't what I had in mind. No offense."

"You think I'm some kind of burden or something? Because I'm not. I've had enough of that shit growing up. I don't need it from you."

He shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose. "No...I mean...that's not what I meant. I just...I want to be the one to take down my father. That's all."

She nodded, not entirely convinced. "Yeah, whatever." As the two of them walked behind the rest of their group down the wooden stairs, he noticed her face light up.

"Okay, what now?"

"You don't want to be stuck guarding the tree, right?"

He tilted his head at her. "What're you getting at, Imogen."

She smiled. "Let's follow Jorgen and his team. If they manage to come across some Shades, or maybe even your dad, we can step in and help."

He mulled over her idea. While he wanted to be out in the field, Jorgen gave him a job to do.

"I'm really not in the mood to get yelled at again," he told her. "We're probably better off staying here."

"I thought you wanted to do something." She rolled her eyes at him. "Besides, he won't yell at you if we do something good."

Her logic was good enough for him. With a shrug of his shoulders, he accepted her proposal. "Alright, let's do it."

Grinning, she rubbed her hands together like an evil villain. "We'll show that arrogant prick our worth."

Sebastian nodded, smiling. "Yes. Yes, we will."

⟐⟐ ⟐

The feast was a good way for everyone to unwind and release the tension building up within them. It was hosted on one of the mid-level tiers within the Great Tree. Multiple window-like holes had been carved out in the thick wood, allowing dying embers of the day outside to seep inside. Towards one wall of the dining hall, a band playing wooden instruments filled the hall with beautiful music.

Tables filled with trays of food were laid out in front of them, the tantalizing scents of the exotic dishes and delicacies wafting into his nostrils. Had he not already had ate two plates of food, he would have had even more.

His stomach was practically begging him to stop.

Remy, on the other hand, seemed to just be getting started. He was weaving in between Naidini's subjects, hitting the different tables as if he were a soldier participating in guerilla warfare. He struck fast and swallowed his food even faster. It was truly a sight to behold.

Sebastian couldn't help but laugh as he watched him go. Ajax let out a few chuckles as well. They lingered near the exit, observing everyone else as they mingled and participated in the festivities.

Everyone looked happy and content. Almost as if their lives weren't at stake.

Nearby, Chieftain Naidini was speaking to Jorgen. The general looked flustered.

Sebastian nudged Ajax. "What's up with Jorgen and Naidini?"

"Not sure," Ajax replied while scratching the top of his head. "But I heard some of the guys talking, and apparently they two of them used to be a thing back in the day."

Sebastian choked back a laugh. "Seriously?"

He couldn't see the two of them in a relationship together. From the look of things, they both seemed like they possessed immense amounts of pride. Then again, that could have been the reason for their breakup.

Sebastian diverted his attention from Jorgen and Naidini to Siren and Imogen—who were also conversating amongst themselves; the girls would occasionally glance at Sebastian and Ajax. The boys shared an apprehensive look.

"What do you think they're talking about?" Ajax asked.

Sebastian shrugged. "Hell if I know. Girls are confusing."

"Agreed."

After a while, the two girls made their way over to them. The party had seemed to die down a bit, with most of the people retiring to their rooms throughout the Great Tree or to their houses built into the chasm bordering it. Not counting the servants cleaning up the hall, only a few people remained.

"It's time for us to start our patrols," Siren announced. She grabbed Ajax's hand and led him towards the exit. "We'll see you two later." The big guy waved, and they disappeared from the room, most likely to look for Remy, who disappeared a while ago.

Imogen turned to Sebastian and the two of them nodded.

"You ready to go?" he asked her.

She nodded while a grin found its home upon her lips. Her eagerness to fight invigorated him. He just hoped she wouldn't back down when push came to shove. It was obvious she had no idea what she was getting into and nothing he could say would change her perception of it.

She was going to have to experience it first-hand if she was going to understand.

"The real question is are you ready?"

He rolled his dark eyes at her. "Of course I am."

She shrugged. "Just making sure."

With that, the two of them walked side by side as they prepared to follow the general and his small squadron of Eldai into the thicket of trees and shrubbery.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

37 0 24
Lunaria is a perfect world of peace and balance, located in a different time and universe than the Earth we humans live on. It is ruled by divine cr...
4.5K 446 77
As a new queen rises to power, the kings of Caeleste grow unrest. The Inlustris in their sights, they send an assassin to Antonella Feulune's palace...
18 3 4
In a declining, pre-apocalyptic city where vampire/human society is barely hanging on by a thread, Elise, who is just a human, gets to attend the onl...
5.1K 470 40
After training for weeks with House Vaya, Makaela and Karin are sent on a quest to save a dying god. Meanwhile, Sebastian and the fractured council i...