Roommates

By CCKens

Cara Lee is cold, awkward, highly OCD and she is defininly not a people person. She spends most of her days i... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
The End

Chapter 12

47.3K 1.7K 1K
By CCKens

Cara's p.o.v.

Today has been one of the strangest and most embarrassing days of my life.
First I woke up at five in the morning to go to the gym. I never wake up that early unless I had to get ready for an early class or flight. Past Cara would be so disappointed. Present Cara is disappointed as well.

Secondly, I may or may not have some sort of feelings for my roommate. I still can't wrap my mind around it. I just want whatever I am feeling to go away because it is driving me crazy and I just don't know what to do with them. Do I like her as a friend or do I like her more than a friend? It's such a conundrum.  Also, she might not be gay and I don't know what I am because I thought that I didn't like people.

Thirdly, everyone has been invading my personal space.  I should have never gone to Victoria's Secret.  I normally do my shopping online, but I thought it would be a good idea to stay away from the apartment for another hour or so since I wasn't prepared to see Hannah yet. There was also a sale and I love their PINK brand sweatshirts. They were so soft and comfortable. It was a two birds one stone kind of moment that I regret.

 Victoria's Secret was a sensory overload for me. There were too many half-naked pictures of the models and half-naked mannequins. There were also too many smells from the perfume. A pushy Korean mom kept asking me to help her. The help was for me to get measured and it was not a pleasant situation for me. I still cringe when I think about it.  I did end up buying a bra because it was, as I learned today my correct size.  I also ended up buying some t-shirts for Hannah. I may have gone overboard and bought her t-shirts for every single day. I should have never gotten the bra because I gave it to Hannah by mistake. If that wasn't embarrassing enough, Hannah's sister saw it as well.

I wish I never agreed to stay and meet Hannah's sister. She was my worst nightmare. She was similar to Hannah, but everything about her was darker. Hannah was sweet and kinds like an angel while Amanda seemed to be wild and mischievous like a devil.  Amanda's hair was a darker shade of blonde and her eyes were the same shade of blue as Hannah, but there was something dangerous about her eyes. The way she stared at me reminded me of a lioness. 

I don't know if it was a family trait, but both sisters didn't seem to know what boundaries were. Hannah always apologized when she realized that she overstepped her bounds. Amanda, on the other hand, did not. It was as though she had no idea what personal space was.  It was such a shock when she slapped me on the butt. I lost complete thought at that moment. I just couldn't believe that someone would do that. She was unbelievable. Why did she call me Hannah's girlfriend?  Was it because we were living together? Maybe she meant that I was Hannah's friend. People are so confusing. You never know what they really mean. 

It was also a shock when she brought her son. I was not expecting a child.  I was terrified of children. From a distance they are adorable, but up close they scare me. I was already awkward with adults. Children were another story. They were like glass, because of how fragile they seemed to be. Children were not a fan of me as well. I tend to look scary since I had a resting bitch face. I couldn't help it. I was raised in a non-smiling household and it was uncomfortable for me to smile.  I thought I looked creepy when I smile. I also did not know how to communicate with children, but then I don't think I can communicate well with anyone.

I was very apprehensive when Hannah left me alone with Charlie. I did want to give her some sister bonding time with Amanda, but I didn't want to be alone with Charlie.  What if he cried? I can't deal with crying people.  I wouldn't know what to say or do. Charlie had the audacity to hug me and I was a little disgruntled when no one came to my rescue. If he wasn't a child, I would have shoved him away. 

It was very strange when he called me mommy. Did he not know who his mom was? I clearly did not look like I could be his mother. I felt some relief when he finally stopped hugging me and went toward the armchair.  He wrapped his arms around the chair and called it mommy while looking at me for confirmation.  Children were strange and exhausting little creatures.

I was already tired from the long morning and I did not have the energy to watch the child.  I went to the sofa and laid down. I must have dozed off for a few moments because I woke up to screams and a loud object or multiple objects falling on the floor. Charlie was asleep next to me and he must have woken up as well because he stared at me with his big brown eyes. We both had a moment where we just stared at each other in confusion. I don't know how or why he was next to me. It freaked me out. I quickly got up and ran toward the kitchen. Hannah was on top of Amanda and her hands were on Amanda's shoulders.  

"Take those words back!" Hannah shook Amanda violently.

One of the things I remember from high school was to never get in between a girl fight. A teacher said that it was a dangerous thing to do because you could get scratched or bitten.  I grabbed the spray bottle that I used to water my aloe plant and I sprayed them with it.

"Ah okay! You can stop!" Hannah used her hand to cover her face as she got off her sister.

"Ugh, my hair is messed up," Amanda said with annoyance.

"Me toooooo!" Charlie ran toward me and I  flinched.  He jumped up and down in front of me while he pointed toward the spray bottle.

"No!" Hannah and Amanda shouted simultaneously when I pointed the spray bottle at Charlie.

I pointed the spray bottle like a gun as I went from Hannah to Amanda. "No more fighting."

Hannah and Amanda both recoiled as they nodded.

The smirk on my lips turned to a frown when I saw that a chair was on the ground. "Let's get out of the apartment. I don't want anything breaking."

                                                                                                    ***
We went to a restaurant called Tabitha's. They had a great brunch special on the weekends and their carmelized banana butter was amazing. I wasn't particularly a fan of eating out, but on some occasion, I would indulge. Tabitha's was a small restaurant with modern décor. The front of the restaurant had long vertical windows.  Black square tables were lined up near the walls and along the windows.  We were seated near the front of the restaurant in the corner.  Amanda was seated on the left side of me, Charlie sat in front and Hannah was on my right. I could feel the tension between Hannah and Amanda. They were seated across from one another and all I could see were glares going back and forth between the two.

"Do you want some of my omelet?"  Amanda casually asked Hannah.

"It has sausage in it. I don't like sausage," Hannah replied as she stabbed a piece of grilled chicken with her fork.

"That should have told you something right away then," Amanda said with a scoff. 

The grip on Hannah's fork tightened while she sent a deathly glare at her sister. I was envious of Charlie at this moment. He was merrily nibbling on the same piece of French toast for the past five minutes.  It was like he was in his own little world.

"What about you, Cara? Do you like sausage?" Amanda asked before she placed a piece of omelet in her mouth. 

"I don't mind it, but it's not like I would actively search for it," I answered in confusion.

Amanda let out a laugh while Hannah coughed uncomfortably. 

"You're adorable," Amanda said as she patted me on the arm.

I tried my best not frown. What is with these sisters? Why did they keep calling me adorable and cute? Was it because I was shorter than them?

"So Cara, what do you think about muffins?" Amanda casually asked.

"Cara, don't answer," Hannah said. 

"I'm just wondering. Hannah sure loves them," Amanda answered with a wink.

"Really? But the carbs." I stared at Hannah in confusion.

"Amanda," Hannah growled. 

"Mubpins!" Charlie clapped his hands together.

"See everyone likes muffins," Amanda answered nonchalantly.

"Are you two okay? What happened earlier?" I looked at Hannah and then Amanda.

"Do you want to explain Hannah or would you like me to?" A devious grin appeared on Amanda's lips as her eyes sparkled with mischief. 

Hannah let out a sigh as she tried to calm down. "We just had a disagreement about something."

"Yes, something." Amanda rolled her eyes before turning toward me.  Her head tilted as she rested her cheek on her right hand. "I'm curious about you Cara.  Hannah said you don't like people."

"Uhh.. yeah I'm not a people person," I said slowly.

"No one has ever caught your eye before?" Amanda's voice was velvety smooth.  She drew slow circles on the table with her left index finger.

"Ummm...." I shook my head and turned toward Hannah who looked like she was about to jump over the table.

"Amanda, stop it." Hannah's voice was low and brimming with anger.

"Have you ever been in a relationship before?" Amanda asked ignoring her sister.

"I'm sorry, but what is with these personal questions?" I stared at Amanda in confusion.

"I just want to get to know you better," Amanda replied with a smile.  "You're just fascinating."

She leaned in toward me and I immediately moved back. Before I could say anything, I felt someone send a sharp kick toward my leg. "Ow!"

"Oh my god! I'm sorry!" Hannah's eyes widened when she realized she kicked me.

"It's okay." I reached down and rubbed my leg.

Amanda let out a laugh. "This is so much fun."

Charlie clapped his hands together and giggled.

"Yes, laugh at my pain," I grumbled.

"Cara, do you want to switch seats?" Hannah leaned in toward me and whispered.

"Sure, if it will keep you from kicking me," I whispered back. She gave me an apologetic smile.

We both got up from our seats and switched places. I handed her salad to her and she gave me my plate of pancakes.

"The views nicer." Amanda grinned at me while I stared at her in utter confusion.  What was she looking at?

Hannah grabbed Amanda by the wrist and pulled her toward her. She whispered something into her sister's ear. Amanda nodded in understanding before moving away. 

I went back to my buttermilk pancakes and spread a generous helping of the banana butter.

Hannah's phone rang and she looked to see who was calling her.  "I have to take this." She got up from her seat and gave Amanda a stern look. "Behave."  

My eyes widened in horror. I did not want to be left alone with Amanda. No words could come out of my mouth as I watched Hannah leave. I glanced back at Amanda who grinned back at me like a hyena. I quickly looked down at my plate and I cut off a small piece of my pancake. I was half-way into putting it into my mouth before stopping. I could feel Amanda's intense gaze. I placed my fork down and looked at her, uncomfortably.  "Can I help you with anything?"

"I was wondering when we could be alone," Amanda stated.

"Wha...why?"

Amanda leaned forward against the table. "Like I said before, I want to get to know you."

"Uhh..why?" I considered myself to be a boring person and I did not know why someone would want to know anything about me.

"You're interesting," Amanda answered. "I've never seen someone bring their own silverware to a restaurant before."

"I would have brought my own plate, but I think I would upset the staff."

Amanda chuckled as she shook her head in disbelief.

Hannah walked back to our table. She let out a frustrated sigh as she ran her fingers through her thick blonde hair. "I have to go to this photoshoot. Supposedly the photographer is fine now and not in one of his moods." She turned toward me and gave me an apologetic smile.

"It's fine. It was a treat to see you," Amanda said.

"We will talk later," Hannah said firmly.

"Sure, whatever you like," Amanda answered with a shrug.

"I don't want to leave you two together." Hannah stared at Amanda and the back to me.

"And why is that?" Amanda looked offended as her eyes narrowed into a glare.

"I think we both know why," Hannah replied bluntly.

"I agr...."

"We haven't finished eating yet and we're still getting to know one another," Amanda said.

"Well Cara, is uncomfortable being around someone she doesn't know," Hannah argued.

"Um, Cara is here," I mumbled.

"We can change that," Amanda defended. "Plus Charlie would love to spend time with her."

We all turned to look at Charlie who smiled brightly at me.

"Mommy." Charlie waved his fork in the air as he looked at me.

"Uh, still not your mommy," I grumbled.

"Come on Hannah, what's the worst that can happen?" Amanda asked with a smirk.

Hannah placed her hand on her hip and gave her sister a questionable look.

"Can Cara speak?" I raised my hand in the air.

The sisters finally realized that I was here and turned their attention to me.

"I do want to go back to the apartment," I said.

"We can finish our food and then head back to the apartment together while we wait for you to finish with your photoshoot," Amanda suggested.

"I guess that would be fine," I said slowly. Maybe afterwards I can hide in my room, but then it would be rude to leave guest unattended. Ugh, why me? Why couldn't I just live in solidarity with very little human interactions?

Hannah sighed and nodded in agreement. "Fine, but don't cause any trouble," She scolded Amanda.

"Have a great shoot." Amanda waved at Hannah. "Charlie say bye to Auntie."

"Bye-bye." Charlie waved excitedly.

Hannah a gave Charlie a small smile before she headed toward the door.  She looked like she had to fight herself in order to leave the restaurant.

Once Hannah left the restaurant, Amanda turned her attention back to me. "So where were we again?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 264 9
Protecting her own mental health is the only thing important to Gansey. After a childhood of extreme stress so intense that her teeth are practically...
183 34 38
This is Crystal Bloom's story towards high-school with her friends and where her love life buds at the seams. -- Crystal's freshman year of high scho...
142K 3.1K 25
Rewritten version. Lydia Ambrose has a normal life, thus is going to her dream University. Everything is going well in her life until she met her sar...
53.9K 1.8K 25
"๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐ข๐ง๐Ÿ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ข๐š๐ญ๐ž ๐ฆ๐ž..." "...๐›๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ˆ ๐ฃ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐œ๐š๐ง'๐ญ ๐ฌ๐ญ๐š๐ฒ ๐š๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ ๐Ÿ๐ซ๐จ๐ฆ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ." For as long as anyone could remember, A...