Heart of the Duel: A Yu-Gi-Oh...

By ImagiWorksNation

Left in the shadows of her duel hungry boyfriend Seto Kaiba, young Kira Ellen wishes to make her own way into... More

1: An Unfair Attack
3: Attack of the Moths
4: Bracing the Sting
5: Disappointment of the Duel
6: Taking the Bait
7: A Bet of Souls
8: Winner Takes It All
9: A Game of Roulette
10: The Shadow Realm
11: Seto's Return
12: Inner Wounds
13: Doubts and Demons
14: Tricks Up the Sleeve
15: Honorable Duel
16: All the Cards
17: The Millennium Eye
18: Relinquished
19: Trapped
20: the King of Games
21: the Power of Light
22: the Millennium Necklace

2: The Changing Current

1K 18 1
By ImagiWorksNation

            Kira frowned at the crowd in front of her. It was slightly chilly, and she wanted to get on the boat before her teeth chattering annoyed everyone around her. Everyone in the crowd was excited, which was understandable. This was the boat that would take the best duelists to the Duelist Kingdom Tournament. She was invited a few days ago and Seto had been astonished. He hadn't meant for it to come off the way it did, but he implied she wasn't good enough and was too soft for the tournament.

She smirked to herself. She would show him. She would prove herself.

"Kira?" a familiar voice asked.

Kira turned with a smile as the voice confirmed her guess. "Yugi Muto! It's good to see you here."

"You too! I'm so glad you were invited." Yugi smiled back and she lightly blushed.

"Thanks, I am here to make a point," Kira proudly said. "How is your grandfather?"

"He is doing well," Yugi answered cheerfully, which was a lie. His soul had been kidnapped by Pegasus, but Yugi didn't want to worry the passionate girl. "Thank you for the flowers and the card! My grandfather loved your gift. That was very nice of you to do!"

"It's the least I could do," Kira told him. She looked down. "I still can't believe Seto ripped up that card..."

"I'm assuming he is not coming since you are here alone...." Yugi observed, glancing around.

"Yeah," Kira said, shivering from the wind. "He's not taking the loss to you well. He ran off the other day in a mad rage. I haven't spoken to him since."

"You want my jacket?" Yugi asked. "You look really cold."

"It's fine." Kira's teeth chattered in defiance.

Yugi chuckled. "Here." He slipped off his jacket and helped her into it. "Perfect fit. See? It was meant to be." He blushed slightly.

Kira grinned to find that his jacket was comfortable. Plus it smelled like him, which was a pleasant smell.

"Smells good," she awkwardly said aloud and Yugi blushed harder. "I mean your jacket smells nice."

"Attention all duelists," a man up ahead announced, causing a silence to cross the crowd. "Welcome to this event sponsored by Industrial Illusions. You received with your invitation, the star chips that will grant you entry into the contest. You are all elite, invited by us after close observation of your past Duel Monsters contests. You each have a fair and equal chance to win. It all comes down to how well you've chosen your cards and how well you play. Now then duelists, cross the ocean and enter the Duelist Kingdom.

Yugi and Kira shuffled forward, pointing out to each other duelists they recognized.

"Hey you, get out of here. Only official contestants are allowed on board!"

"How do you know I'm not official?"

They both turned to see a guard dragging Joey Wheeler away from the boat.

"Because the official duelists aren't trying to sneak on board through the lower hatches," the guard snapped.

Yugi exclaimed out. "Joey? What the-?" He and Kira ran to them.

"Stop your struggling. We're going to have to throw you out," the guard told him sharply, trying to pull him away.

"No way. I came here to duel and I'm gonna duel," Joey defied.

"Leave him alone," Yugi ordered the guard as he and Kira approached.

"Hey, Yugi..... and Kira?" Joey gave an awkward smile.

"Joey! What're you doing here, Joey?" Yugi asked him.

"Hah. Did you really think I'd let you do this on your own? C'mon, help me out." Joey looked between the two desperately.

"Sir, he's with me. You've got to let him on," Kira spoke up before Yugi could. "He is an official dueler with a star chip and everything."

Kira stepped forward and grabbed Joey's hand. He blushed awkwardly as she put something in his palm.

Joey held up the star chip he had been given. "What's this?"

Yugi grinned at Kira's gesture. "According to this card, a star chip's proof that one is a duelist."

"That may be, but all participants are given two star chips." The guard pointed at me. "You'll be at a disadvantage."

Kira smiled and sweetly. "And what concern is that to you?"

Joey and Yugi stared dumb founded.

The guard looked at another guard who had walked over to investigate. "What do we do?"

The other guard pulled out a cell phone reluctantly. "Mr. Pegasus, we've got a problem, sir."

"Tell Pegasus it is the problem of a request from Kira Ellen and Seto Kaiba." Kira looked the guard in the eye, speaking loudly so the person at the other end could hear her. Some turned their heads at the mention of Kaiba's name.

"Did you hear that sir? Yes.... Yes..... yes sir." The guard hung up. "They are good to go."

Kira smiled and pushed past them towards the entrance of the boat. "Thank you. Come on Yugi and Joey."

Yugi grinned. "I'm glad they let you on board, Joey."

They all climbed onto the boat and walked to the center of the main deck where the commotion was.

"Only because you sacrificed one of your star chips for me, Kira," Joey said, gently putting his hand on her shoulder. "But if any of the other players find out we only have one star chip each, they could really try to take advantage of us."

"Then be quiet about it." Yugi suggested and Kira giggled.

A voice spoke up from behind us, "Well what do we have here?" They all turned to see a beautiful blonde haired with a purple outfit watching them curiously. She smiled when she saw Kira's face. "Ah the beauty of dueling herself. Kira Ellen. How are you doing, hun?"

"Do I know you?" Kira asked, frowning in puzzlement.

"No you don't. My name is Mai. I did some business in the past with your handsome man, Seto Kaiba," she told Kira with a smile, giving her a light hug. Kira looked uncomfortable. "Are you and that dreamy blue eyed boy still together."

"Ummmm..." Kira blushed. "We are on a break actually."

"Hmmm." Mai frowned. "His loss, hun. Anyways are you here to duel?"

"Yeah I am. So are they." She gestured to the boys beside her. "These are my friends, Yugi and Joey."

"So, you're the Yugi kid everybody's talking about, huh?" Mai looked at the boy whom she towered over. "But I'm amazed that a squirt like you could beat Kaiba. You're famous, you know." She looked at Kira briefly. "No offense."

"None taken," she responded and Yugi saw she was becoming annoyed.

Yugi looked at Mai. "Uh, thanks very much. I think..."

"Hey miss, I'm a really good friend of Yugi, the master duelist, in fact-" Joey blurted out.

Mai stopped him. "Look, you're either a champ or a chump." She looked between Kira and Yugi. "Cut this guy loose. He's fashion challenged and deserves to be crushed in the games." She walked away.

"Please, crush me." Joey sighed dreamily. Kira scoffed and Yugi laughed at her reaction.

"It's cold, let's go inside." Kira began to walk to the inside of the ship.

They checked into their rooms, which were barely rooms at all. Joey started complaining as Kira handed Yugi back his jacket.

"Hey, is this a joke or what? This is a luxery cruiser. I know you've got better rooms somewhere."

"Hey, aren't you that kid Yugi?" a kid nearby asked, approaching them from where they were down the hall.

Yugi began, "Huh? Yeah. And you're-"

"Weevil. And Rex the dino duelist," Joey finished for him.

The one named Rex snickered. "Hah. You're wasting your time complaining. The private rooms only go to champions from the last tournament, like us." He looked at Kira. "Unless you my lady would require something better. If that's the case, you are more than welcome to sleep with- I mean stay with me."

"She's not interested in your sleaziness." Joey jumped to Kira's defense as she took a step closer to Yugi instinctively. Yugi grabbed her wrist to comfort her.

"Dude that's Kira Ellen, Kaiba's girlfriend," Weevil quickly whispered.

"Even better," Rex laughed. "If dull Kaiba likes her then it she must be special."

"Hey Rex," Yugi said keeping his tone cool but serious. He slightly got in front of Kira. "Leave her alone. You're walking on thin ice."

"Take a hike dino dork," she retorted as a follow up. "Or you'll be answering to more than a fist in the face."

Rex snorted and then stomped away, clearly embarrassed on being rejected.

Weevil looked at Kira. "Ignore him. I'm sorry he's a creep."

"it's fine." Kira looked down.

Yugi broke the silence. "Congratulations on winning the regionals, Weevil."

"It was nothing." The nerdy boy shrugged. "To tell you the truth, winning the last championship didn't feel like that much of an achievement. I guess I can't really call myself a champion until I defeat the duelist who beat Kaiba. But I'm sure I'll end up battling you in the big tournament, Yugi. Frankly, I look forward to it."

Yugi gave a friendly smile. "I look forward to it too."

Weevil suddenly grinned mischievously. "Let me tell you a little secret. It's something none of the other players know about the games yet."

"Isn't that cheating?" Kira asked softly.

Weevil snorted. "The other duelists will find out soon enough. But there are no rules on the island that require more strategy." He sighed. "Come. Let's scope out the competition."

Joey blinked. "What d'ya mean?"

Weevil pointed at some people crowded nearby. "Check out those chumps. They're already trading over there. Players here are swapping cards and strengthening their decks, getting ready for the big tournament. It's also a good chance to get a feel for your opponent's cards."

The boat rocked slightly and Kira gulped. She looked back up to see that Joey had run off to the people trading.

Yugi laughed. "Guess Joey's trading."

"If you've come all this way and you're still trying to improve your deck, you've got to be pretty desperate. I'll catch you on the flip side," Weevil said before walking off.

"He was interesting, huh?" Yugi turned to look at Kira who was turning green. "Are you okay?"

Kira suddenly sprinted to the nearest rail and threw up over the side. She coughed a couple of times before wiping her mouth cleaning with a handkerchief. Yugi caught up and gave her a worried look.

"I get sea sick easily," she mumbled to Yugi.

"Come on let's go sit down." Yugi guided her back inside to a table. He left and got her a glass of water.

"Thanks," she said gratefully, taking a deep sip.

"Hey I'm sorry that Rex kid was being so forward with you," Yugi apologized.

"Yugi thanks for standing up to me! It wasn't your fault." She sighed. "Unfortunately, it happens a lot."

"Oh," Yugi said. "Well we have your back. You should always feel safe around us."

Kira smiled back at him. "I do."

"Also I'm sorry about you and Seto as well."

Kira laughed. "Yugi, you don't need to apologize for things that are out of your control." She looked down. "It was bound to happen soon. As I said, he was getting distant. He said some things to me before he left that weren't too kind either." A smiled grew on her lips and she looked back up at Yugi. "But none of it was your fault so don't apologize."

"Well you are my friend. And you cared for me when I was having a rough time. Now I want to help and care for you," he told her.

Kira nodded. "That's very sweet of you Yugi. I wish all guys could be as good hearted as you."

"Thanks Kira." He blushed and looked down at the golden triangle hanging around his next.

Kira's eyes followed him. She had been wondering what that was he always carried with him but she hadn't wanted to pry. Until now. "What is that?"

Yugi smiled cheerful and he took it off around his neck before he held it out for her to hold. "This is the Millennium Puzzle. It's an ancient Egyptian artifact my grandfather gave to me."

"Wow," Kira said in awe and took it from his hands. She gasped instantly as a voice once again spoke in her mind.

'Hello Kira.'

"Yami..." She breathed out in confusion.

"Huh?" Yugi asked.

Suddenly a light game out of the Puzzle and the figure of Yami appeared beside them. It was faint like a foggy mist but it was definitely the taller and stronger version of Yugi. Yugi stared at it in shock.

Yami smiled at them both.

'Kira let go of the Puzzle. I am not needed now.' Yami said gently to Kira, but Yugi gasped in shock as well, now able to hear him to.

'How are you...' Yugi's voice asked him, ringing in my head.

'Yugi...' Kira said before placing the Puzzle on the table.

Yami disappeared and the light was sucked back into the Puzzle.

"What was that?" Yugi asked Kira, blinking in shock. "I heard you in my head."

"I heard you too," she told him, frowning. "I have no idea what's going on."

"Did you know that guy... the guy that looked like me?" Yugi grabbed her arm. "That spirit?"

"All I know is that he told me to call him Yami." Kira flinched at the contact but then relaxed under his warm hold.

"That's so odd," Yugi questioned. "It came from the Millennium Puzzle."

Kira shook her head. "You better take this back." She nodded towards the Puzzle. "Perhaps the sea sickness is getting to both of us."

"Maybe so," Yugi laughed nervously.

They made some small talk as they waited for Joey to return from trading. Kira told him about her deck and how she became involved in Duel Monsters. Yugi in return told her all of what his grandfather had taught him over the years.

"Yugi," Joey interrupted, running over to them. Kira and Yugi stood up and met him half way. "I got some good card trading in."

Yugi smiled at his friend. "Hey, let me see them. Salamandra and a Kunai with Chain. Baby Dragon and Shield and Sword! Great! With these new magic cards combined with your monsters, you'll have a real strong deck."

"Nice work, Joey," Kira told him with a small smile and a pat on the back.

Joey slightly blushed at her praise but then shook it off. "Alright. So now I'm ready to win every duel I play."

Kira and Yugi laughed at his statement. Yugi shook his head. "I think you're going to find it's a bit harder than that, Joey. Here..." He handed Joey a Time Wizard Card. "Add this to your deck. It can be helpful in a tight spot."

"Wow, Joey. That's a really powerful card!" Kira exclaimed.

Joey took it and grinned at his buddy. "Thanks. I'll take it. I can't get over how you're always helping me out."

"Ahh, we meet again," Weevil said, approaching the group.

Yugi greeted, "Ah, Weevil."

"Ahh, the evening wind sure feels nice." Weevil said blissfully before looking back at the short boy. "So, did you trade for any good cards, Yugi?"

Yugi shook his head. "Nah. I'm gonna duel with the cards I brought along with me."

Weevil smirked. "I figured as much. You used the Exodia cards in your duel with Kaiba, right? Those are the strongest cards of them all."

"And really rare," Yugi said proudly.

"Could I possibly see those legendary cards?" Weevil raised an eyebrow. Kira frowned. Something told her that something bad was coming.

"I don't see why not." Yugi agreed being his friendly self. "Just be careful with them. Okay?"

'Kira!' Yami's voice said in distress, making her jump. 'Don't let Yugi give him those cards.'

Weevil chuckled as Yugi shuffled through his deck.

"Yugi," Kira said very quietly, alarming an antsy Weevil. "Maybe you should just show him the cards. I wouldn't hand them over."

Yugi smiled at her. "No need to worry, Kira." He pulled out the cards and handed them to Weevil. "Here!"

Weevil pulled them into his grubby hands. "So these are the cards to summon Exodia. For a long time, I've been trying to come up with some kind of strategy to finally beat these cards. But I couldn't come up with anything." He paused. "Until just this moment." He turned towards the railing of the boat.

Yugi gasped "Huh?"

Kira predicted his move. "No wait!"

Weevil threw the cards overboard. Kira ran to the railing and stretched to grab them. Her fingers clasped three of the flying cards. However, she lost her balance and felt herself fall forwards. Kira let out a scream as she plummeted towards the water.

Yugi shouted, "No!"

Weevil laughed evilly, walking away. "Now there's no one who can challenge me."

"Why you-!" Joey hissed.

"Kira hold on!" Yugi shouted. He jumped off the side of the railing.

"I'll get the rest of the cards, Yug!" Joey followed after him.

They both plummeted into the water. Yugi swam to the surface, breathing in. "Joey, don't! Joey, where are you?! Kira!" He looked for her and saw her bobbing in the water, trying to fight the current. Joey was a little way away, swimming for the rest of the cards.

Joey shouted. "I promise you, I'll get them, Yugi!"

Yugi yelled back. "Joey, they're not worth drowning over!" He swam over to Kira. "Are you okay?"

She was coughing up water as the waves kept pulling her under. Yugi began to pull her back towards the ship. She clasped onto him, trying to help swim.

Joey shouted to them. "Don't worry, Yugi. Look, there. I got one of them."

Yugi shook his head. "Joey, swim back to the ship!"

Joey argued, "No way. At least this time there's something I can do to help someone I care about." He was pulled under suddenly before coming back up, choking on water. "The current sure is strong though. It's hard to fight. But if I punk out now, who's going to help my sister, Serenity?" He reached for another card nearby. "Almost there-"

Yugi grabbed him along with an exhausted Kira. "Come on!"

Joey tried to swim away. "Yugi, just one more!"

Kira weakly said, "Joey we have to go."

"Yugi!" a familiar voice shouted. They all looked up to see Téa and Tristian looking down at them from the boat.

Tristan called out, "Are you okay?" He threw down a ladder for them to climb up.

Téa shouted, "Grab ahold!"

"Hurry!" Tristan exclaimed.

"Téa, Tristan!" Yugi shouted happily. He helped Kira swim back to the boat, making sure Joey was in front of him.

Joey climbed up, and, with what little strength she had left, Kira followed. Yugi did as well and Tristan pulled the latter back up. Kira was coughing roughly on the deck. On her hands and knees, water came out of her mouth as she struggled to breathe. Téa was gently rubbing her back, telling her she was okay.

Yugi crawled over to them, making sure Kira was okay. He looked up at Téa. "That was close. I'm sure glad you two guys showed up. Really glad."

Téa smiled at him. "We're a team. We'll all stick together."

Tristan nodded. "We'll always watch your back."

Yugi smiled back. "Thanks a lot, you guys." He looked back at Kira. "Kira are you alright? You look really weak."

She deeply breathed and looked back up at him. "I think so. I hit the water pretty hard and breathed in some." She shivered before holding out a trembling hand to him. "Here. I lost one, but I was able to snag two." Yugi took them and then put them on the ground before hugging her tightly.

In surprise she hugged back, resting her chin on his shoulder. "Thank you," he said, his hot breath tickling her ear.

"I'm sorry, Yugi."

Yugi turned to face an upset Joey. "Huh?!"

Joey frowned. "I failed. I only found one of your cards."

"It's okay, Joey," Yugi said to him. "They are just cards."

Joey shook his head. "It's not okay. It's always this way with me. I'm never able to help anybody. Not even my own sister, Serenity."

Yugi said in confusion. "Serenity?"

Téa gasped. "Really? You have a sister, Joey?"

Joey nodded. "Our parents divorced years ago, when we were kids. She lives far away with my mother. My sister's had really bad eyes since she was born. Eventually she'll go blind."

Yugi frowned. "I'm sorry."

Joey closed his eyes. "Thanks, Yug. She sent me a message. The doctors told her that the time has come. Soon her eyes will be impossible to repair, even with surgery. But there are specialists who could perform an operation now, before it's too late. They could save her eyesight. But... there's no way I can pay for the operation. I have to win. For her! Winning in the Duelist Kingdom, and getting the prize money, is the only way I can help Serenity!"

Yugi gave him a smile. "We'll both do our best, Joey! You, for your sister. And me, for my grandpa."

Téa agreed, "That's right. We'll do this together."

Tristan exclaimed, "Look, the island!" They all went to the railing and stared at the land in the distance.

Yugi laughed. "That's the Duelist Kingdom. That's it. We're almost there."

Everyone cheered except Kira. She stared at the island nervously, becoming concerned about what waited ahead. A warm hand grabbed hers gently. She saw Yugi beside her, gazing at her confidently. He gave her hand a small squeeze. She gave a fake smile, but her worry didn't subside.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 3K 102
Anastasia Starline- head of Starline Enterprises is a developing company that specialises in nano- technology. After a friendly request from Seto Kai...
71.4K 1.3K 34
Skylar Kaiba is the daughter of the one and only Seto Kaiba, the second greatest duelist in the world of Duel Monsters. She has a dragon/warrior/spel...
85.9K 2.1K 32
*All images are paid commissions created by the artist Less_End. Please do not copy or use in your own work* A turn here. A turn there. No wait! Don'...
2.6K 154 10
It was just another day for Katsuya Jounouchi, who was on a date with his girlfriend Mai at the park. Things rapidly change when a strange old woman...