The Trouble with Faking It...

By dearxxreader

Tyler Seguin Fanfiction Story: When Daisy Winters friend, Tyler Seguin - a professional hockey player for the... More

Authors Note
Chapter 1: Maybe Crazy Is Just The Kind Of Change I Need
Chapter 2: Everybody Is Attached To Something
Chapter 3: La Douleur Exquise
Chapter 4: Drunk On A Feeling
Chapter 5: Gonna Take A Little More Than Sweet-Talk To Sweep Me Off My Feet
Chapter 6: I'll Be Home For Christmas - Part 1
Chapter 8: I Knew You Were Trouble
Chapter 9: You Are In Love
Chapter 10: Here Comes Goodbye
Chapter 11: Almost Home
Chapter 12: I'm A Sucker For You
Chapter 13: Say Something Cause I'm Giving Up On You
Chapter 14: Loving You Had Consequences
Chapter 15: Where We Gonna Go From Here?
Chapter 16: This Love
Chapter 17: Don't Give Up On Me
Chapter 18: Go Ahead And Break My Heart
Chapter 19: When We Were Young
Chapter 20: Make You Feel My Love
Chapter 21: Everything Is About To Change
Chapter 22: Let Me Write You A Love Song
Chapter 23: Family Is Forever
Epilogue
afterword
bonus chapters/sequel?
SEQUEL

Chapter 7: I'll Be Home For Christmas - Part 2

3.3K 48 9
By dearxxreader

Chapter 7: I'll be home for Christmas part 2

"at the end of the day, a loving family should find everything forgivable."

I knew from a young age that my parents liked perfection. They expected perfection from myself, Jaxon, and Axel. I didn't have any issues with it at first – I thrived on the praise my parents would give me, but the twins had trouble with it. They would go against everything my parents wanted and often, they got into trouble. It started out with little things, like rebelling against dad's orders but when they met up with the wrong crowd, it went from bad to worse.

My parents kept a lot of things that happened from me. I guess they were worried that I might end up in the same situations that they were in.

But then, The Night happened.

It was a Tuesday. I remember it clearly because I had a huge Chemistry test the next morning and I ended up missing it.

At the time, Jax and Axel had this thing where they took turns being complete idiots. I don't know if it was intentional or if by chance.

Around 10:30 p.m. that night, my parents received a call from both the police station and the hospital. Axel, who was 18 at the time, had gone out with friends that evening and had been given explicit instructions to be home by 10:00 p.m. but we all knew he wouldn't listen.

My mom rushed to the hospital, and dad headed to the police station while I had to wait at home with Jax, despite his pleads to go with mom. I always got the impression that my dad wasn't as worried about Axel as we all were, and I grew to understand why as I got older.

Mom and Axel came home first, Axel banged up and bruised but alive after a minor car collision. It was hours before dad got home.

He looked exhausted and after staring blankly at Axel for a few minutes, he'd sighed tiredly.

"Don't ever expect me to do what I just did for you again." Was all he said.

It was years before I learned the truth about what happened that night, and part of me wishes I never did.

***

December 25th

It was always hit or miss with Christmas in our family. Things either went smoothly and everyone was relatively happy, or everything was a disaster. This Christmas everything started out okay. Aside from the elephant in the room, we were all happy. I know mom took it hard every year when Axel wouldn't come out of his room and this year was no different.

My parents are cooking dinner while Jax and I hang out in the living room watching Christmas movies. I notice my mom glancing over to the stairs every so often as if she is expecting Axel to come upstairs.

"I saw him last night." I tell Jax quietly.

He shrugs. "I see him every so often. He does leave his room if dad's not 'round."

"Think dad will ever forgive him?"

Jax gives me a tired look. "The chances of dad forgiving him are about the same as Axel forgiving you."

I ignore his low blow and turn my attention back to the tv. Home Alone is playing and it makes me a little sad because the twins and I would watch those movies every Christmas growing up.

There's suddenly a loud clang from the kitchen and I look to see dad glaring at mom.

"He's not coming Grace. You need to accept that." My dad snaps. I watch as my mom takes off her apron throwing it on the ground before leaving the room.

Jax immediately stands up and follows mom. The bond he and Axe have with her is something I never had – I was always closer with my dad.

"This is why I left." I say.

Dad looks at me and shakes his head. "You were always good at running away." He sighs. "But I can't say I blame you anymore."

He turns back to cooking and I decide to go downstairs to my room. Tyler said he wanted to Facetime sometime during the day, but I don't know when.

I stop to look at the Axel's closed bedroom door. I heard the shower running last night so I know that he at least left his room for a bit. I hear noises coming from his room, so I walk down the hallway and stop at the door. There is a tv on, and footsteps as if he is pacing around the room.

I lift my hand to knock but decide against it, walking back to my room instead. I try to Facetime Tyler but get no answer, so I toss my phone aside and try to read a book mom gave me for Christmas.

A couple of hours later, I hear heavy footsteps and voices upstairs, so I assume my grandparents and extended family are here. Each year, my grandparents, my dad's siblings, and their kids visit. My mom's family live in Montreal, so we don't see them often.

Not in the mood to deal with people yet, I hang out downstairs in the den until I hear tiny feet bouncing down the steps. I look to see my little cousins run into the room and can't help but smile. They always manage to put a smile on my face even when Christmas isn't going as well as I hoped.

My dad has four siblings – one brother and three sisters. His brothers name is Nolan, and his sisters are Sadie, Violet, and Addison. Uncle Nolan isn't married and has no kids, but all of my aunts have kids, so our family gatherings are always pretty loud.

Aunt Sadie has two kids, Lily and Allie. They're six and eight. My aunt Violet only has one daughter named Nova who I won't admit but is my favourite of the kids. She's four. Aunt Addison has five kids. Twins – Riley and Bailey – they're 13 years old, little Gabbie who's three, Declan who is nine, and Ellie who is seven.

Nova immediately runs over to me and jumps on my lap.

"Daisy! Santa brought me a kitten!"

"Not a real kitten," Allie cuts in. "It's a toy. She pretends it's real cause aunt Violet said no to a real one."

"Maybe when you're older." I tell Nova who looks like she's about to burst in to tears but perks up when she sees Phil, Jax's cat. Old Phil is sixteen and worse for wear these days. I don't think he has much time left.

I see Riley and Bailey trail behind the kids. They have sour faces, probably because they had to leave whatever gaming systems that they got for Christmas home.

"Daisy," Ellie says. "Do you think Tyler will call us today?"

That makes the twins perk up. They love Tyler and always ask to talk to him when he calls.

"Maybe." I tell them, not sure if or when Tyler will have the time to chat with them today.

"Okay," she says and then runs off the play with the other kids. The twins sit on the couch and start watching tv, so I make my way upstairs to greet everyone.

Mom and Jax are back and it seems like my parents are putting on a pretty good show, acting like they are totally fine and weren't fighting this morning.

Typical.

My grandparents start badgering me about my relationship with Tyler and I dodge most of the questions and answer them as briefly as possible. Eventually, my dad distracts them, so I can escape and go sit with Jax. We sit in silence, listening to everyone else talk until I hear little feet pounding up the stairs and kids calling my name.

Allie runs over to me with my phone and I see that it's ringing. Tyler's picture is shown and he's trying to Facetime me.

I accept the call and as soon as his face pops up, five children try to pile on top of me, attempting to see Tyler.

"Hey kiddos." He laughs, and I smile even though I can't see his face since the kids are blocking it. "Where's Daisy?"

"Right here," I mutter as the kids all move their heads out of the way.

"Hello, love." I tease, and he grins.

"How is your day going?" He asks, and the kids are eating up every word he says.

I force a smile. "It's going good."

He raises a brow, showing that he doesn't believe me but knows to wait until I'm alone.

The kids start asking if they can talk to him, so I let them each talk to him one by one, as he reassures me that he has time. After the kids are finished talking, their parent shoo them downstairs and I let my dad chat with Tyler. One thing I love about Tyler is that he talks with my family as if he's known them forever. He has that easiness about him that makes you feel like you can tell him your life story.

That terrified me when we first met, because I had so many things that I didn't want to share with anyone, but over time, he showed me that I could trust him with things.

Eventually, everyone is finished talking to him, so I take my phone and go downstairs to my room, so I can talk to him alone.

He listens while I tell him about what happened this morning and gives his input on it. Eventually, he has to go so I say goodbye and end the call. My phone is on 2% so I plug it in and then fall back on my bed. It's only two o'clock and I'm already exhausted.

I'm falling asleep when there is a knock on my door.

"Come in," I call, thinking it's one of the kids but when the door opens, I almost fall off my bed.

Axel is standing there, shifting uncomfortably. He looks better than the last time I saw him. Mainly because he's showered, and his hair is pulled back in a bun since it's so long. There's a pair of scissors in his hand and for a split second, I'm worried he's going to murder me.

I've been watching too many episodes of Criminal Minds.

But he asks, "can you cut my hair?"

After five years of silence, that is not the first sentence I thought he would say to me. But I'll take what I can get.

I press my lips together and nod. "Sure. Not with those scissors though."

A hint of a smile crosses his face and for the first time in five years I truly feel happy being home.

***

I took a hair dressing course when I finished high school but quickly discovered that it wasn't for me, but I've always done hair for people close to me when they needed it. We don't speak while I cut his hair, and he keeps giving me curious looks like there is something he wants to ask. I'm almost finished his hair when he speaks up.

"Are you really dating that hockey player?" He asks quietly.

It surprises me that Jax didn't tell him the truth, but I decide to lie to him.

"Yeah." I say and then smile. "His name is Tyler."

He waves a hand dismissively. "Yeah, yeah. As long as he treats you right, I'm happy for you."

"Thanks, Axe." I say, and he nods before running his hands through his hair, testing the length.

"Not bad."

I roll my eyes fondly. "You're welcome."

He smiles and pats my head like he used to do when we were kids, before leaving to go back to his room.

I start sweeping the hair off the ground when I hear a loud squeal.

"Axel!" Allie screams, and I poke my head out of the bathroom to see her clinging onto Axel's leg. He looks slightly alarmed but after a moment, opens his arms to let her hug him. His eyes look watery and I look to see mom and aunt Sadie standing there in disbelief.

"Your hair." Mom says, and Axel points to me.

I hold up the pair of scissors and smile. "Anyone else need a haircut?" I joke but everyone perks up.

Needless to say, I spend the rest of the day cutting peoples hair for free.

***

December 31st – New Years Eve

I'm back in Dallas for New Years but Tyler has a game that night, so I hang out with Madilyn and Elliot. We watch the game and eat too much but we're happy which is all that matters. It's around 11:58 and we're getting ready to do the classic countdown when there is a knock on my door. I hop up to answer, not wanting to miss the ball drop but I drop my phone when I open the door because Tyler is standing there, grin on his face and looking like he ran here.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, letting him in.

"I came as soon as I left the rink." He says, shrugging off his jacket and following me into the living room where Maddie and Elliot greet him.

"Sorry you guys lost the game." I say but Tyler just shrugs.

"Tough loss but we'll bounce back."

The loud countdown starts on the tv and the four of us chime in.

When the clock hits 12, Tyler pulls me in for a searing kiss and I can't think of any better way than this to start 2019.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n

HAPPY 2019 EVERYONE!!! I hope you all had a safe and happy holidays.

some notes about this chapter:

we kind of found out a bit more about axel but not exactly what happened and maybe we never will lolol

im having trouble with this story because i dont have the same emotional attachment to these characters that i did with my "until i met you" series (which you should check out if you havent already) lol i would cry writing some chapters of those stories because i felt so attached to them

but i feel like the characters in this book dont have as much depth as i would like them to have but thats my fault :p

sigh so im not 100% sure if im going to continue this story yet unless I find some more inspiration and ideas

but yea let me know if you liked this chapter, and if i should continue this story? we'll see lol

here's to 2019 hopefully being better than 2018

- alex <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.8K 564 33
What happens when you think you have your life all planned out? You are so close to starting this life but something changes. Bella is faced with thi...
2.2K 19 12
RIGHT THING WRONG TIME | TYLER SEGUIN originally posted on tumblr @baevillier (2021) summary: Y/N's sister, has been dating dallas stars hockey playe...
12.6K 230 9
It's the summer of 2011, and Elena Hart thought that finally she was going to get a chance to kick back and relax. However there are a change of plan...
14.5K 126 13
Your cousin's bachelorette party heats up when you run into a professional hockey player, Tyler Seguin. Are things going to be serious? Or are you ju...