Something Lost (Original Draf...

By SeriousMoonlight

Alanis had always wanted to leave the settlement she lived in ever since she was a little girl. Together, she... More

Foreward
Prologue
Chapter 1: Mysterious Powers
Chapter 2: A Knight to Remember
Chapter 3: The Serpent and the Tree
Chapter 4: Golden Cloaks
Chapter 5: Berthold's Lord
Chapter 6: Blair's Oath
Chapter 7: Blue-Eyed Brat
Chapter 14: The Ritual
Chapter 15: The Letter
Chapter 16: Centre Yew
Chapter 17: Centre Yew Lower Dungeon Day 1
Chapter 18: Centre Yew Lower Dungeon Day 2
Chapter 19: Centre Yew Lower Dungeon Day 3
Chapter 20: Empty Handed
Chapter 21: The Artist
Chapter 22: Awkward Talk
Chapter 23: Uncertainty
Chapter 24: Your Smile
Chapter 25: A Dragon's Warning
Chapter 26: Lahre Sari
Chapter 27: Commended
Chapter 28: Sorrow
Chapter 29: Relationship?
Chapter 30: The Burning Forest
Chapter 31: The Hermit Shaman
Chapter 32: Letting Go
Chapter 33: White Magic
Chapter 34: Last Memory
Chapter 35: Old Wounds
Chapter 36: God's Oath
Chapter 37: Guarded and Delicate
Chapter 38: First Snow
Chapter 39: Back Around
Chapter 40: The Gift
Chapter 41: Followed by a Whisper
Chapter 43: Familiar Face
Chapter 44: The Bonding
Chapter 45: A Bitter Kiss
Chapter 46: The Lake
Chapter 47: Crimson Cloak
Chapter 48: Berthold's New Queen
Chapter 49: Farewell
Glossary
Character Profiles with Pictures
Original Concept Art - 1
Original Concept Art - 2
Original Concept Art - 3

Chapter 42: Homage

3.9K 171 33
By SeriousMoonlight

▬ஜ۩ஜ▬

James and I talked until morning. He wanted to know everything, so I explained it to him as simply as possible and told him the whole truth. He was somewhat bitter that I had kept it from him, but eventually agreed with Alexander's plan of keeping the Sorrow a secret. Of course he tried to push his way into coming with me when my time came to leave, but I made it very clear to him that I wouldn't allow it. Thankfully he stopped and realized I was right.

He did offer a word of advice, about something I'd been putting off. He told me I needed to tell Alexander about my upcoming move, that he deserved to know the whole truth sooner than later. I knew he was right, but I had put it off for so long that it was going to be a hard truth to utter.

James and I watched the rising sun together that morning, but all of my thoughts were on Alexander. All I could think about was how happy I was that the spell worked.

Two days passed, they were slow and miserable days, each being a day without him in it. I went to visit him the first day, late that afternoon to check on his condition, but was turned away. It was the same story the second day as well. I was told he asked for no visitors while he was recovering. Instead of moping indoors, I took to the grassy field with Felicia to hone my abilities. I worked out all my frustrations through wielding and surprisingly the worn feeling I was left with made me feel better. And as a bonus my skills were improving.

The third day came. I rolled over and squinted, my uncovered face was greeted by the soft beams of light that peeked through the curtains. Morning already, I grumbled. It felt like I just laid my head down moments before. I sat up and groaned in pain, yesterday's exercises had really taken a toll on my lower back. I slumped forward and held my hand to my back.

Today was my birthday. I shuddered and fell face first into the mattress. Nothing good ever came from celebrating my birthday. It always made me uncomfortable pretending I was happy on this joyous day when I wasn't. I hated it, mostly because it was a day of recollection for me. Before my time here I would wake up and wonder if this was going to be the last birthday I would celebrate.

Each year got a little harder...

"Happy Birthday," Amelia sang in a soft whisper. I could tell she was nervous about something, by the small tone she used.

My eyes peered over at the table; sitting around it was James, Cassandra, Felicia, and Andrew. They were partaking in a large breakfast that spread across the tabletop.

I pulled Amelia to the side. "Why didn't you tell me I had guests."

She smiled and whispered. "They wanted it to be a surprise. You look fine, don't worry." She grabbed my hand and forced me to join my guests.

"Happy Birthday Lady Alanis," Felicia was the first to spot me; she dropped her fork as she shouted her greeting. Her blue eyes were huge as she shouted gleefully.

"Alanis, I told you to call me Alanis. Remember... yesterday in the field?" I reminded her with a tap on her shoulder, she smiled up at me.

"You're lucky she called you that instead of Oraur Lahre." James commented while standing respectfully, Andrew followed his lead and pulled out a chair for me.

"Thank you," I said while sitting down at the end of the table. I watched as James and Andrew took their seats. I smiled, thinking how strange it was to have everyone here. I never expected to be sitting at the same table with them, unless it was required.

"So how old are you?" Felicia stabbed a strawberry with her silver fork. Everyone's eyes directed over to me, all but James who already knew the answer to that question. "Well," she asked again, it almost seemed malicious in nature.

"I'm nineteen." I replied under the weight of their stares.

"A teenager," Cassandra scowled across the table at James, I could hear the clatter of someone being kicked under the table.

-

Andrew was the first to laugh then I joined in. Felicia went back to her breakfast satisfied with the answer I gave. Luckily, that was the only question she wanted answered, usually she was full of many more.

"I can assure you, she's more mature than I, though it may not seem so right now." James chuckled and Cassandra smiled, there was a moment between them that made me stop laughing. Were they back together, I thought. There was definitely something.

"You don't say." She rolled her eyes at him while taking a bite of her toasted bread and jam. Her eyes were still on him as she crunched away.

"Hey, it's not like I'm a child. You're only three years older." I smiled breaking up their stare.

Amelia carried over a pitcher of juice and refilled everyone's glasses.

"Sit with us and eat. There is plenty of room." I pointed out the empty chair that sat next to Andrew.

She sat, knowing I would have argued with her in front of my guests.

I talked with Andrew first, then that conversation diverted into one with Felicia. We were talking about the scariest Kingdoms to visit. Felicia told me about the Southern Kingdoms past the swamps. There was one in particular that sounded terrifying, The Thick Morass - also known as, The Dragon Wetlands of Emerald Point. All the while James and Cassandra were discussing something, I didn't pay too much attention to what it was about. I didn't want to seem like a jealous ex, if I could even be considered that.

The door began to rattle, clearly someone else wished to join my Surprise Birthday Breakfast. I stood up swiftly and rushed to the door, before Amelia could respond to it.

"I'll get it, enjoy your breakfast." I glanced over at her surprised stare, but she fell back in her chair and took my advice, her prior conversation with Andrew continued.

I pulled the door open; the lovely blast of winter I was expecting was absent. Instead I was met with an even colder stare.

"Harold," I whispered as I shuffled my robe, tightening it against my chest. He was the last person I expected to see, in fact, we hadn't talked since the night I struck him. I examined his flushed winter kissed cheeks, the strike I had given him was still tattooed across his face, though it was nearly healed.

He grinned as kindly as he could, but I could see through that serpent smile of his.

"I've come to deliver an invite to a royal function tonight." He lifted a sealed envelope within my reach. I took it from his gloved hands, my bare fingers brushed against the tanned velvety suede that wrapped around his fingers.

"A royal function," I asked skeptically, something didn't smell right. It was my birthday, this couldn't be more coincidental.

"This wouldn't have to do with a certain Birthday, now would it?" I said while slipping my finger under the harden seal. It popped open easily.

"Come or not, it's up to you. I need to only tell Lord Alexander that I delivered the message." He replied icily, but his breath revealed the heat of his words.

"How is Alexander?" My eyes lifted to his perturbed scowl.

"Lord Alexander... is well," he made sure to correct me, by sternly speaking Alexander's title.

I smiled stiffly as I read the invite, it was to be a special meeting regarding Alexander's upcoming wedding. Nothing too exciting about that, in fact I almost wished it was an embarrassing party... I wasn't entirely sure why I was invited to attend this function. It wasn't as if I could help with anything.

This was truly depressing...

"So, are you going to be there?" Harold quipped. He looked like a ruffled bird in his oversized cloak. The furry hood that slung over his head added to that vision.

I would have said no, if the situation were different. But the truth was I really wanted to see Alexander.

"I'll be there. What time should I arrive?"

"Did you read the invite?"

That slap I served him must have really rattled his pride. He was acting ruder than normal, almost to the point of being spiteful. What did I do to deserve this, I wondered as I reread the invite. And to Harold's defense the letter stated to be there, by sundown.

"I'll be there." I replied lowly.

"Good," he bowed his head, and I took that gesture as the ending of our wonderful conversation. But it wasn't. As I was about to close the door he stopped me with a disgruntled cough.

"Yes," I murmured.

"On a personal note... I'd like for you to refrain from using my name when you address me." His request was serious; his eyes were dead as they peered into mine.

Back to square one, all over again.

"As you wish Council." I closed the door gently, though I wanted to slam it as hard as I could in his face. But I had guests, I couldn't act like a child, nor could I weep like one... It was my birthday, I was used to disappointment and tears on this joyous day, it was tradition and this year would be no different from the last.

▬ஜ۩ஜ▬

The day went by slower than the days before. My excitement grew with each passing hour, I was going to see him again and I couldn't wait. I tried on all sorts of different gowns. Red ones, blue ones, golden ones... everything seemed too extravagant or modest. I combed through all of them until I found a pale pink gown. It was perfect. The seams were traced in gold thread and golden buttons decorated the tight cuffs of the sleeves. I tried my best to hide my talisman, but the neckline of the gown made it borderline impossible. Drat to fashion and plummeting necklines.

I was greeted by the quietest of Alexander's Council when I arrived at the castle. I was early for the meeting. He led me into a viewing room to wait, in the center of the room was a lavish gown, propped upon an elevated display. I could only assume it was Charon's wedding gown. It was impressive. I was surprised it was showcased out in the open, I thought it was bad luck for the bride's dress to be viewed by the groom before the wedding... perhaps, their traditions were different than what I was used to.

When I was left alone I walked over to the dress, my fingers trembled nervously as I touched the lace of the veil. The texture was enough to paint a vivid picture of its beauty. It matched the lace that was intertwined throughout the long sleeves of the gown and the train. I circled around the dress to the train, my palm examined the waves of pearls that scattered across the ruffled material.

I wondered if I would ever dress in something as fine as this. Perhaps not, it wasn't my style anyway - as beautiful as it was. Besides that I had so much to accomplish, romance could wait until I figured out how to control and hone my powers. That was the important thing.

"Lady Alanis," Simon's voice crept up on me, while I was in thought, my finger traced a silver brooch that was pinned in the center of the silk bow.

I stumbled back, embarrassed I was caught red-handed. But he smiled which surprised me, he wasn't at all angry with my curiosity.

"Amazing isn't it?" he asked softly, though his voice echoed heavily in the large ceiling. "You'll never guess what Lord Alexander said about this gown. The man can be so charming at times."

I held my hands against my back. "What was that?" My reply was low, and I hoped the answer wouldn't be one that shattered my heart.

"Nothing at first." He laughed. "When I pressed further he said, 'Every bride is beautiful on her wedding day regardless of what she wears.' What a tiring statement, I know... but sometimes... I fear I made a mistake promising his hand, but others I'm glad I did..."

"Why would you say that?"

"The man would have never married unless it was forced upon him." His old eyes crossed the dress as he spoke. "At times I feel his one true love is his Kingdom. That is wonderful... but Berthold needs a Queen as much as she needs a King. I do worry about him as if he were blood." He sighed.

I walked around the platform the dress was displayed upon, to Simon. He shook against the weight he was placing against his cane.

I spoke strongly, hoping he'd ease. "Don't worry about him, he's strong. I'm sure whatever happens he'll be happy in the long run." As I spoke those words, I prayed to the Gods he would be - I prayed for them to be granted true.

He bowed his head agreeing with my simple statement.

He grunted as he took a step closer to the dress. "He will..." Simon's eyes lifted to the dress again, mine soon followed.

"I hear Princess Charon has a noble heart. I'm sure she'll make an excellent Queen to Berthold." I whispered bitterly, I could taste those sour words long after they were spoken. I knew they needed to be said, what else could I say? Stop, don't let him marry her, can't you see that he's unhappy. I knew somehow even if I did say those words that it wouldn't change a thing. If this marriage wasn't honored it would cause a rift between Berthold and Ati Harei. It would also spark war.

"She will, she'll shine brightly here under Berthold's rule." His tone was higher and confidant. It seemed his confession had made him feel better, somehow. He took me by the arm and led me to the door to exit.

"So what is this meeting about? Arrangements for decorations? Etiquette lessons?" I joked as the door was opened for us. As it opened my question was answered. My eyes met with a large group of people who cluttered the great hall. They all shouted when they saw me. When the shock of it all died, I comprehended what was going on, and what was being shouted.

Happy Birthday!

I blinked; my mouth was loose, perhaps even open like a gasping fish.

"What..." I repeated several times, my eyes shot across the crowd examining the faces that were in it. All of my friends were there, and some familiar acquaintances. I was surprised, almost dumbfounded. They were all dressed in suits and gowns. In the background live music played on piano and strings. It was amazing.

"All of this for me," I beamed and James stepped forward.

"You should have seen the look on your face it was priceless." He teased then pecked my cheek politely. "Utter confusion suits you." He smiled and I punched his arm lightly. He was gorgeously dressed. His normally disheveled hair was combed back; his neat hair unintentionally lightened his already tranquil eyes. He wore a new silver doublet, one that I never saw before. Fastened behind him was a flowing cape of gray.

"This is crazy, there are so many people here..." I whispered, "Was this your doing?"

"No—" He paused as I looked away at the crowd. "I swear it wasn't me." He said into my ear as the noise level increased. I wondered who it could have been, if not him.

James left me with Simon and Alexander's Council, the quiet one. He said he was going to mingle and dance. He wished me a Happy Birthday and was on his way. Couples began to pair off and dance. I wasn't about to make myself available for asking. I was a horrible dancer. No way, now how I was going out there. I blended into the stone wall as best as I could, pretending to be content with the company I was in.

I was engaged in several conversations, most of it was idle chit-chat, and some were important topics regarding my future in Berthold. They wanted to know if I decided on offering my services to Alexander as his Tunerir, they really hoped I'd be more active in their community. I would have liked to agree with them if I knew I wasn't leaving.

After a while my eyes diverted to the cluster of dancers that weaved between each other. In between them was a single couple, James and Cassandra. They looked stunning together. She wore a gray shimmery dress that matched his cape immaculately. Her blond hair was piled atop her head, like a glorious crown. Each of their moves were fluid, it poured out of them like they were both connected at mind and spirit. I smiled like a fool at first, unable to tell which emotion would take. I was both happy and saddened by what I saw. But I knew one thing for sure, I couldn't watch it any longer, and I would if I continued to stand here.

I walked to one of the balconies and closed the doors behind me, drowning out the sounds of celebration. I wanted to be alone with my thoughts for a while.

My eyes searched the night sky; the stars were flourishing in the crisp heavens above. They all seemed to twinkle in the same rhythm, the same brightness. The weather may have been dreadfully cold, but I couldn't deny the beauty that derived from it. It was breathtaking.

My eyes began to water as I thought about Cassandra and James dancing together. I really didn't understand why I was reacting this way. I was okay with them being together. I had been okay with the looks they were giving each other at the table this morning, so why was it bothering me now? I brushed those warm tears away as I peered out to Berthold Forest. The trees were skeletons now, skeletons of a forest that once was green and lush. I felt that way right now. It was disgusting how horrible I felt. I kicked the thin wooden lattice that stood beside me, snow and ice sprinkled from it. I felt a little better.

My head lifted to the sounds of the party behind me. Someone was joining me. I perked my gloomy frown and forced a presentable smile in its place. The warm air that escaped the castle kissed the back of my neck; it made me want to shudder in delight.

My smile was made genuine when it met with the smile of my unforeseen guest. Alexander. His smile was bright and overpowering, it was so endearing it almost made me weep again. In fact a few hidden tears escaped the cusps of my eyelids. I brushed them away as secretively as I could in front of him. It had been awhile since I last saw him. I didn't think it would affect me as much as it was.

"I'm sorry, please... excuse me." I apologized while looking out at the crisp sky again, and tried to will my tears to halt.

"It's quite alright," he replied while taking his place beside me.

"I was looking for you everywhere. You don't know how close I was to giving up," he said with a fluttery laugh.

"You, give up?" I chuckled forgetting my tears and why I had shed them to begin with. I glanced up at him. His eyes were already on me, soaking in the emotion that painted across my face. It was true, what the others said, we shared each other's eyes. Both of his were changed, same as mine. One gray, one hazel. I smiled with that truth. It would be a passing reminder of what I gave to him and the courage I had to give it. In the days coming our eyes would revert back to their original color.

He was dressed handsomely. I suspected he was cold, I was. He wore a cloak and a simple tunic, the material was thin —not a smart choice for winter wear. But he looked dashing regardless. His silver hair was loose, fall by past his shoulders.

"I suppose I wouldn't have." He smiled charmingly and threw his head back. "But I was running out of places to search. I was getting ready to walk the streets next."

Somehow, the thought of him searching the streets for me forced a wide grin across my face. Oh, boy, I thought. He was able to see my goofy reactions now. That thought destroyed my smile instantly. My head dropped.

"I see you're wearing my cloak." I nodded with his observation. "It looks nice, red suits you. Uhh, what are you doing out here?" he asked suddenly.

"I needed a break." I admitted.

"From what?"

I blinked my drying eyes and lowered them. "From all those people," I replied while turning my head back to the city below the balcony. "I'm no good in front of crowds."

"I thought you fared well in front of my court, I hadn't noticed."

"Enough about me... tell me something." I watched as the heat of my upcoming question wafted over to him. "Did you watch the sunrise that first morning?" I wondered if he had, I had watched it from the guestroom balcony that morning with James.

"No, unfortunately..."

I gave him a surprised look, he told me he was looking forward to that sight.

"The first day the light was so intense, I couldn't make out much of anything. It still hurts to be in a well-lit area."

"Oh," I sighed softly. "I came to visit you. I was turned away both times. They were kind enough to give me updates on your condition."

"I'm sorry about that," he said sincerely. "I wanted to see you."

I blushed not knowing how to take what he said. My sappy heart took it for something more. I wouldn't argue with it tonight.

I breathed eagerly, "The medallion changed that night. It hasn't grown... since..."

His eyes shifted back to my lowered eyes, "May I see it?" he asked.

My hands lifted to my cloak, I pulled it open exposing the hidden dress I had picked for the party. Before I could grab the necklace his hand lifted to my chest and grasped the medallion.

"You know something..." He smirked. "It really is quite beautiful." His eyes watched the rotating swirl of the orb in its center.

"I don't think so."

His eyes lifted as he gently placed the necklace back against my chest.

"Well that's good to hear." He lifted his hand, a small box balanced on his fingers.

Where did that come from? I Wondered.

"What's this?"

He smiled. "Take it."

I took it, "Another gift," I whispered holding the closed polished box. "You didn't need to get me anything. You've already given me so much."

"And you've given me sight, something that will never be repaid no matter how hard I try. Please, let me pay homage to you... in any way I can."

"I don't deserve it." My fingers slipped over the box, wondering what was inside. But I couldn't accept any more gifts from him; it didn't feel right any longer.

"I promise this will be the last gift, unless you say otherwise. I won't budge until you open your birthday gift." He stepped back with his lighthearted threat. "I want you to know that I am willing to freeze to death out here." He smiled crookedly and I tried my best to sneer back.

"So are you going to open it before I freeze?"

"I really shouldn't... but I'd be charged with murder if you froze out here."

"You sure would." His bottom lip trembled, giving away his actual state.

"We should go in, before you freeze." I walked past him but he snatched me up in his arms before I could reach the door.

"No... no... no..." He tittered in my ear. "Open your gift first."

I pushed away from him after I had my fill of his embrace, "We're going inside first," I retorted sternly while opening the door.

We walked to the nearest fireplace, and took seat on the hearth. He rubbed his hands together near the flames. When his trembling stopped I went to open my gift like I had promised. He crouched over me while I opened it, reading into my every expression. I let him hang on that moment for a while; he looked like he was enjoying it. I took my time as I slowly opened the box.

It glistened up at me, bringing with an eerie feeling of Déjà vu. Though I already knew where I had seen this object before. Nestled in the center of the box was a golden decorated necklace. At its center was a locket encrusted with a precious amethyst. I was silenced, but inside my head I was having a hidden conversation with myself.

This couldn't be the same necklace I had worn in my dream, it couldn't be...

I let out what sounded like a soft croak, well, somewhere in-between croak and squeal. I wasn't paying much attention to the odd sound that jumped from my mouth, but he was. I snapped the wooden box shut like it was a bad dream that I was ready to forget, he sprung forward with his arms and clasped both the box and my hands.

"What's the matter? He asked with sullen eyes. "Do you hate... it?" His hands shook against mine.

"Is this some sort of-" I stopped. I had wanted to say 'joke'. But clearly it wasn't, he looked just as confused as I was.

He spoke before I could apologize for by behavior, "It's your favorite stone right? I thought... you'd like it."

My eyes lifted to his, he looked disappointed. Damn - I felt terrible for being the cause of that look. I pulled away my hands ashamed, I had wounded him the way I had.

It could have been coincidence, a very strong one. I opened the box again to face the stone again. My heart began to quicken as I lifted it from the box. It was definitely the same. It even felt the same, its weight was exact, and the texture of the stone was recalled as I rubbed my thumb across its cut surface.

"It's a beautiful gift." I said softly while watching him, his hard stare back told me he didn't quite believe me.

"Come on, there's something else. What is it?"

I had been accustomed to lying for so long that I was about to do it again, but now was the time to start over. I would tell him, even if it did make me look crazy.

"I've seen this necklace before."

"You're mistaken. I had it made special. Remember that night I walked you home. One of my men told me they caught you admiring the Old Dragon Amethyst we had on display. He asked if I wanted you punished for groping the precious stone. I said no of course. Perhaps I should have... instead of having it crafted into a locket." His eyes followed my finger movements as they fondled the stone.

"No -" I stuttered. "I have seen this necklace before." He was puzzled.

"I saw it in a dream... I was wearing it around my neck. I remember it vividly. In my dream I was searching for the necklace Julian gave me, to see if the face had changed. When I lifted the necklace it was this one." I said while tracing the cut amethyst. "It..." I sighed while lifting my head, my heart was steadily beating. If that had been true, could he have the same feelings for me, like in the dream? My heart thumped with that prospect.

"You're sure it's the same?"

I nodded nervously, "Yes, exactly."

"Perhaps, the Gods were trying to communicate something to you. What else was there?"

"What else," I repeated hesitantly, my cheeks blushed from the remainder of the dream - from those 'what else' thoughts. The sudden flush forced me to disrobe. It was getting rather hot in front of the fire.

"I can't remember much else..." I lied. "I was in water, it was night..." I also dreamed of Justin, but that was an entirely different dream. It wasn't connected to this at all.

He reached over and unhooked my necklace while I pondered. The heavy medallion slipped into my hands as the necklace fell away from my shoulders. It felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I hadn't taken it off since I put it on, over two weeks ago. I worried a mere moment about the repercussions of removing the necklace, his soft touch saw to that... I stuffed the necklace into my bustier coyly while he draped the necklace he gifted around my neck. I closed my eyes as he clasped the necklace securely around my neck.

His cold hands brushed against the nape of my neck as he adjusted the length.

"Tell me," his breath brushed past my ear as he pulled away. "Has anyone asked you to dance with them tonight?" My eyes fluttered open to meet with his. I assumed he was going to ask me, his eyes were...

"No," I answered hoping I was right, and luckily I was. His eyes lit up with my reply.

He smiled crookedly as he spoke, "I'm surprised, no one's asked." His hand touched mine, silently asking his question for him.

"Come dance with me, a lady as beautiful as you shouldn't be hidden away in the dark. Especially on her birthday... there's something very wrong about that."

I remembered quite quickly that I couldn't dance, in-between his not so subtle attempts of flattery.

"Wouldn't that be improper?"

"It's not if I asked and I have..."

"What if I told you... I'm a horrible dancer."

"I would say that is a horrible excuse not to dance... You may not know it, but I'm a good teacher." He said sharply while his hand tugged at mine. He bared his teeth in a filling smile as I stood willingly. I wasn't so self-conscious anymore. He had no issue showing his happiness when he was around me, so there was no reason for me to be nervous.

He led me to the other dancing couples. They parted nervously as he drove through them. Their hard stares told me they were surprised to see their King on the dance floor. There were going to be many questions after tonight.

"Dancing is simple." He said while carefully resting his hand on my hip. "With your poise I'm sure you'll make a fine dance partner." His left hand caught my right hand and raised it. He motioned for me to place my free hand on his shoulder. I did.

"My poise," I chuckled.

"Follow my lead." He blurted, I was lucky he gave me any warning. He stepped forward, and I back. We repeated that motion until I grew familiar with it, my eyes dropped to our moving feet hoping I wouldn't step on his toes. I stumbled several times.

"Up here—keep your eyes up here. You won't make as many mistakes. And you'll enjoy it."

"Enjoy it," I chirped with a loud laugh.

"Yes." He clicked his teeth together with his reply and spun me around. The candles that lit the room spun around us like shooting stars as we danced. I laughed contently, he was right. I was really enjoying this. I could tell he was too. The quicker we moved the larger his smile grew. I suspected mine was just as large, though I couldn't feel it any longer—there was a strange charge that pinched the peaks of my cheeks, numbing them. It was a feeling I wasn't familiar with, but knew it had changed me somehow.

"I see you're comfortable now. And you can dance. Though your moves may not be flashy or adept you can agree... that you're having fun."

(Alexander and Alanis dance) by me

We caught each other's eyes, like we had many times before. But this instant neither of us was willing to look away. There was a silent understanding, something we were both aware of. He looked down upon my face the same way he had during the ritual, his eyes touched me deeply. My heart was afire with a hidden longing as we both held each other within our shared gaze.

Oh God, I needed to tell him. I need to tell him now. That thought repeated in my head in a growing chant. I should tell him while he's in a good mood. He'll take it better. Perhaps, he wouldn't be angry at all. It wasn't as if I lied to him... I just kept one tiny, insignificant piece of information away from him. That wasn't so bad.

I gripped his hand and he quickly took charge of my hand by clasping it. He tilted his head revealing he was up to something, and with that thought I was dipped backwards gently. With his hand on the small of my back he lifted me with a forceful push. I was dizzy with sensations.

I gasped softly, "I've got to tell you something," I stuttered nervously and he slowed the vigorous waltz he was leading.

I had waited so long to tell him this, it was tearing at me. I didn't know how I was going to say it, but I needed to before the party ended. Before our my courage faltered.

He smiled, "I've got something to say also..."

"Huh." We stopped abruptly with that short query.

Alexander's eyes were over my shoulder. I turned my head.

"Excuse me your Grace, Lady Oraur lahre," Lord Harrison intruded, he was the Captain of Berthold's Golden Cloaks. He donned his gilded armor everywhere he went, tonight was no exception.

"Can it wait a moment?" Alexander asked, his grip was still firmly placed upon my waist. My loose hand dropped from his shoulder.

"I'm afraid not," his reply was grave, and that's when my eyes spotted the white envelope that was in his hand. It was a modern one, one I had seen countless times before in Larska. "This letter was found attached to one of our ravens."

"What's it in regards to," Alexander paused as his Captain gave him a cautioning look. I could tell he was wary about discussing it in front of me. "Speak freely, Lord Harrison. Lady Alanis is to be trusted."

"The letter was from a Settlement, your Grace."

My heart sank. "From Larska," I choked, his eyes traveled from his king to me.

"Yes," he answered and handed the envelope to Alexander.

The letterhead was Official; it came directly from Larska Section One. The hand it was written in was his, Justin's. I had seen his writing daily back in Larska. He'd always leave notes for me strewn about my apartment, reminding me to do this and that.

Were the Gods speaking to me through my dreams? Both visions had truth to them. If that was so, the Settlements were up to something big. What that was I didn't know...

▬ஜ۩ஜ▬

Please remember to vote. If you have a any questions please comment and I'll answer them, I'm good like that. ^.-

I'm such a dork I love these romantic interactions. sorry. ^.^

Also I'm thinking of writing the second part of 'Something Lost' in third person, give me your thoughts regarding that. I think once I finish the story as a whole and I get the hang of writing in third person - I'll revise the entire story that way. Huge edit - I know - but I planned on editing it any-who.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62 0 9
Princess Elizabeth a very extraordinary princess who wanted to explore just like her mother. Her father disapproves to this which leads him to take a...
87 2 9
Waking up face down in mud sucks any day of the week. But coming around in the sludge of a strange realm...? Well, that just redefines a bad day alto...
20 1 4
Matt wanders back into Alexs's life... injured and babbling. Why is he here? Alex doesn't have time to argue, not with Matt's life on the line. Howev...
3.9K 1.7K 51
Cover by: @Caitlyn-Blayne "After the great war, King Archeron, who was not yet a king, was the obvious choice to be the monarch of Avenlea. He poss...