Legacy in Ruins: Dragon Rider...

By icecoilaj

Norah Crimson's whole life has revolved around becoming a mage like the rest of her family. However, on Choo... More

Chapter 1: The Start
Chapter 2: A Little Bit of Action
Chapter 4: Disappointment
Chapter 5: The Argument
Chapter 6: Thomas The Train
Chapter 7: Some More Trains
Chapter 8: Finally Some Fucking Dragons
Chapter 9: Why Couldn't You Just Listen
Chapter 10: Not A Vibe
Chapter 11: Meeting The Team
Chapter 12: The Instructor
Authors Note
Chapter 12: The Instructor
Chapter 12 Part 2
Chapter 13: No Bows
Chapter 14: Dodge
Chapter 15: Signals
Chapter 16: A Leader
Chapter 17: Everything Seems To Be Going Fine for A Few Minutes
Chapter 18: Seeing Two
Chapter 19: The First Lesson
Chapter 20: Candy Cane
Chapter 21: Do Dragons Come With Training Wheels?
Authors note
Why Are You Such A Snob?
Oh, My Gods, You're Touching Me
Got To Get Them Prep Work Done
Author's Note
I. Look. Amazing.
Skyfall
I'm Done With Being Calm!
Epilogue
Sequel
Book 2 is in the making!
Book 2 out now!

Chapter 3: Party Time

7.5K 340 78
By icecoilaj

I swung the bathroom door open and paced into my room. My hair was soaked but clean. I had just come out of the shower and didn't have the luxury to indulge in the scalding hot water like I wanted. A towel was wrapped around my hair as I bent in half and tried to dry it off as much as possible while also trying to keep the other towel around my body on.

I flipped my hair over, standing upright and tossing my towel on the bed. I was late, I was so late. By the time estimate, I created in the shower, I probably had tenish minutes until the snobby, five minutes early people arrived for the party.

Standing at my closest, hands spread apart and holding the ends of the two doors, I hunted for my favorite dress which hid among the rainbow-colored clothing. A silent breath of relief slipped past my lips as I reached for my dress, squeezing myself into it as fast as I could, but ensuring not to ripe the delicate fabrics.

Elur. I mumbled, leaning in towards the mirror. The room lit up like someone just swung the curtains open and letting the sunshine through at full blast. Being as quick and delicate as possible I put on a full face of makeup; mascara, bright red lipstick, the whole deal.

When finished, I strapped on some crimson red heels to match my dress and lips and rushed to the body-sized mirror. I turned my body to the side, hands flattening the soft fabric, trying to straighten out any creases that may have formed.

The dress was long and the hem of the red dress just barely grazed the floor. The thick red straps on my shoulders lead down my chest, making my dress a low cut and exposing more chest than father preferred, but mother didn't mind all that much. The silky fabric hugged my waist; snug but tight, giving off the appearance that my waist was smaller and hiding my curved hips ever so slightly.

A knock came from the door, drawing my eyes towards it as the maid spoke. "Norah, your guests are here. Your mother has requested me to fetch you." She said as I made my way to the door and opened it.

Liesia, the maid with curly red hair that was tucked into a low bun smiled at me. Her azura blue eyes pierced into my brown ones before drifting down my body. Her eyes snapped back to me and she let out a quiet shriek with a bright smile. "Oh, Norah, you look ravishing!"

My cheeks burned up, making me glance a the hardwood floors with a shy smile. "Thank you." I said genuinely and then looking back up at Liesia. Her dress looked nice, very professional. It was strange seeing her out of her white skirt and black top uniform. But tonight she wore a tight black dress with matching colored heels.

"Come. Come." She beckoned me. "You're guests are arriving." The lady took my shoulder and gently guided me out of my room before we made our way down the stairs that lead to our living room and kitchen.

Coming to the bottom of the stairs, the first thing I noticed was the kitchn where Chef Malin stood behind the countertops admiring his fine work. The food of veggies was placed neatly on silver platers for the maid to grab or for other guests to take from.

A small sigh of relief slipped past my lips when I heard my mother at the door, greeting guests as they entered the large room that had already begun to fill with diplomats and fellow neighbors.

My body twirled around as Liesia was called over by some of her fellow maids. She politely excused herself as we both parted ways.

I came to stand beside my mother who stood near the front door. Her straight hair was now curled and fluffed, shortening her already short hair further, though she still looked beautiful. The golden fabric of her dress hugged her body all the way down to her knees. A diamond necklace sparkled in the light of the room. It was something father gave her for their anniversary. Finally, milk white hells gave her that extra two inches and made her appear leaner than she already was.

When I stepped beside her, mother turned her head to me with a polite smile, probably thinking that I was another guest but when she saw me all fancied up her smile grew brighter and prouder. "Norah, my child. You look beautiful!"

"Thank you mother." I thanked with a small grin that almost mimicked hers, but mine was more humble and shy. No matter how many times people complimented me, I still blushed profusely and turned into a shy little five year old.

Mother went to say something further but she was interrupted by another arriving guest or "friend". This time, we both greeted them but I took the lead, since I was suppose be hosting this party after all.

"Norah, you look beautiful." Mage Olliean, one of fathers friends complimented with a friendly smile. He had raven black hair that was combed back with gel while a black and white suit finished his assemble.

"Thank you." I nodded courteously, putting on my friendly face. This day couldn't end any sooner.

"Are you excited for Choosing Day tomorrow?" He asked, seeing that there wasn't anyone behind him and chose to stay a bit and chat.

My head bobbled as I mixed in both truth and lie into my words, "Of course. It's the day I finally become a mage," I said.

"Maybe you will become an Earth mage. They are the best elementalists after all." He winked at me before looking at my mother with a playful smirk. She rolled her eyes and commented about some battle they were in together where she had to save his butt from a falling rock, even though he was an earth mage.

Once the small chat was over, Olliean left and moved to one of the groups that formed while mother and I continued to greet oncoming guests. And all I could think about was how much I wanted to go to my room and sleep and get this night over with. I needed it to be after the ceremony so that somehow, I wouldn't have to magically go through all the anxiety and doubt that came with sitting among a crowd people, waiting for my name to be called at the ceremony. The thought of becoming a dragon rider lingered like a any annoying stone in my shoe.

Finally, after an entire hour of greeting snobby nobles, my father had come to tell me that all the guests had arrived. His silver hair was brushed to one side and combed back slightly. He wore a black suit with a white bow on the top of his collared shirt.

Father lead me back into the main room where the once large empty space was now crowded with people chatting away at a respectful volume. Cocktails and small fancy snacks were being passed around by the maids who all are the same black dress as Liesia. Most of what I heard from the others gossiping around me, where the mages discussing about the problems being caused by the light and dark mages.

I never fully understood why the dark mages were so interested in studying the darkening. Nothing ever good came out of observing those things, the only thing that did come out of it was mages and riders hating each other -- commons people being stuck in the middle of it and just wanting everyone to be friends, per usual.

"You're staring." Clarika observed, snapping me out of my thoughts as father continued his strides forward, weaving his way past the guests and making his way up to the piano and my mother.  My gaze trailed to my sister who stood behind me all dressed up, nice and fancy.

She looked so beautiful, it made me slightly jealous. Long sleeve lace fabrics glimmered with silver, almost matching fathers hair but with more sparkle. The lace curved around her waist to show off the strong but lean muscles she had. A solid grey long skirt danced around her ankles, brushing against the hardwood floors. But, what I really liked about her assemble was the white dangling earring that hooped down the top of her ear to the bottom.

"Oh." I replied simply, watching as Clarika ran a hand down her hair which had been twisted into braids that flowed below her shoulders like a waterfall.

"So, have you had time to actually talk with the guests?" My sister raised a brow, a slight smirk from her already told me that she already knew my answer.

"Fortunately, no." I chuckled when the clinking of glass caught my attention, along with everyone else's. The room fell into a peaceful silence as my sister and I looked over to where the black piano sat, a hearth burning brightly behind my mother and the piano. Mother dressed in her elegant dress held a champagne glass and a knife in the other and held a faint but noticeable smile.

"Good evening everyone." Mother began, her voice soft and respectable but echoing throughout the living space that provided excellent hearing for the people in the far back. "I hope everyone is enjoying the food and drinks." She paused, gazing around. "Well, I assume most of the people here tonight are as eager and excited as I am. I have watched Norah, my daughter, grow up into a magnificent woman. And we have been waiting for seventeen years for this night to come. And now — tonight, I can proudly say that tomorrow Norah will earn her place as a Crimson."

A few of the other mages raised their glass when my mother mentioned me becoming a true Crimson. Though I felt like I had always been a true Crimson, even if none of my abilities had begun to show through yet.

"She has come so far, and has overcome so many challenges throughout her life and all while keeping it relatively humble." Mother continued, her voice growing more humorous and earning a round of laughter from her audience. "Our little girl has finally grown up and will move out tomorrow to profill her role as a elementalist. She raised her glass, followed by everyone else as my father walked up beside her, wrapping an arm around her waist and kissing her on the cheek.

"I see my wife likes to brag," Father chuckled and earning a bark of laughter from everyone, except me and Clarika. Seriously? How were these people finding these jokes funny? Father has come up with far better jokes before.

I glanced at my sister who was patiently watching father and she too looked dulled by his horrible joke.

"Norah is our youngest daughter and probably the most sarcastic out of the family." He began. "But she has always remained true to her intentions and loyal to her family. She has worked so hard to become who she is and I am so very proud to call her my daughter." His icy blue eyes landed on mine with a smile. He tilted his chin down and raised his glass at me while the crowd of diplomats and neighbors all toasted in my name.

A smile grew across my lips at my father, pretending to not feel the bit embarrassed or spoiled by everyone wishing me the best luck tomorrow. I was grateful for everyone being here and having this party thrown for me, even if I may not like all of them or really even consider them friends, but I was lucky since most people didn't get to have parties thrown for their Choosing Day.

After the speech I continued to entertain guests and having drawn out conversations about what mage I might be. Though I would be happy with any elemental ability I hoped to be a fire mage like my mother. The rest of the night went on smoothly and I said my farewells to the guests who wished me the best of luck tomorrow. Some said they may even show up to the coronation as well.

When everyone left I quickly thanked my parents and sister and wished them a good night before trotting off to my bedroom to sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 1.1K 90
In a world where humans and magic are separated, four powerful dragon riders, the night riders, should protect magic. 100 years ago, the night riders...
149K 8.1K 53
Under the rule of a Dragon Riders and Magicians, young 14 year old Thea finds herself pulled into the Dragon Riders world. After her brother dies she...
489K 29.9K 52
Hated by the people she's sworn to protect, dragon rider Neely Lynch searches for her stolen dragon while struggling to control the dark powers insid...
300K 29K 82
Her memory was taken. Her skills were not. Her very presence is a threat to everything he has ever cared for. They might make a powerful team... ...