End of Salvation

By YuiFreymore

Having lived twelve years into the zombie apocalypse, Xiu Shinyi suffered through hell. Just as he was given... More

Author's Note & Disclaimer
Character Page
Glossary
Prologue: A Dream But Not A Dream
001: No Longer The Fool
Preview: 002: Coming Home
002: Coming Home
003: No Bounds of Shamlessness
Preview: 004: Hello Mother
004: Hello Mother
005: Confrontation
006: Still Stuck In The Past
Preview: 007: Yi'er is a Genius!
007: Yi'er is a Genius!
Preview: 008: The Day That I Met You...
008: The Day That I Met You...
Preview: 009: The First Trip
009: The First Trip
Preview: 010: A Sudden Mistake Will Follow You For An Eternity
010: A Sudden Mistake Will Follow You For An Eternity
012: His Formidable Golden Thigh
013: Morning of The Spoiled Princess' Birthday
014: The Lunar Crown Hotel (I)
015: The Lunar Crown Hotel (II)
016: Lunar Crown Hotel (III)
017: Lunar Crown Hotel (IV)
018: Lunar Crown Hotel (V)
019: Lunar Crown Hotel (VI)
020: A New Home
021: Vengeful Maniac
022: Being A Wizard
023: Starting Act 2
024: A Painful Rejection
025: An Honest Mistake

011: The Hermit

7.5K 432 51
By YuiFreymore

A/N: Uhhh... Finally finished... Been feeling very groggy all the past two days and had a hard time focusing so I took many breaks and naps. Sorry guys~ I also don't think that I will update EoS until next week. Enjoy the chapter and thank you guys~ (。-ω-)ノ

---

Deciding to go to Chengdu turned out to be a good choice to spend their holiday. Even though it was mid autumn, the weather wasn't cold here and held warmth as the sun illuminated the city. In the summer would've been too hot and humid and if they came during the winter, the temperatures were too cold. They finally arrived there after a long drive from their home. In front of a small villa, everyone stepped out from the vehicle and stretched their aching limbs from sitting too long in the car. During the car ride, Yijun had the opportunity to have both of the twins with him. Yunsheng was busy defending his sibling from the devil Feiyi. He had kept a close watch on them and stood guard by their side as if they were a convict and he was their prison guard.

The night before the holiday had officially began, Yunsheng was ecstatic that he would be spending time with his only family during this holiday.

He had plan on ditching Feiyi behind, the lad had decided to draw on his face that evening and made him resemble that of a panda with two large black eyes. No one said anything to him about his dazzling look, and he wasn't even aware of it until he saw his own reflection in the mirror that night. Although he saw their strange stares at him, it was nothing new to him.

Yunsheng's voice went up one octave higher as he yells in the bathroom with surprise. Pinching his glabella, his chest heaves up and down with such intensity that it seems that he had just ran the marathon of his life. He immediately dials the culprit's number with a face that was as black as the bottom of  a burnt pot. Gnashing his teeth, he was going to chew them to pieces and spit them out. Just as the final ring was heard, Yunsheng opens his mouth but instead of hearing the bastard's voice, the electronic answering prompt plays in his ear.

Choking on his spit from his conniption, he then promptly opens WeChat² and spams Feiyi. Cursing him to his eighteenth generation, he sends table flipping emojis while typing out their full name in capital letters. Only after making sure that their messages hit over a thousand did he vent his frustrations. He walks to the bathroom and scrubs the magical design off with burning ardent flames, before heading to sleep.

It was just that in the morning of the day of departure, Yunsheng couldn't believe that just when he thought that he going have a peaceful holiday... As soon as the car door opened... His mood plummeted at the speed of light. It proved that he was just wishful thinking.

His childhood friend was already comfortably seated in the car with his luggage already safely placed in the trunk, waiting for them to get in. Yunsheng inflates up like a balloon, full of hot air but just when he was going to strangle the other. He remembers how his friend was probably spending the holiday alone... Once again.

His wrath deflates faster than you could say 'wo kao¹'. From a young age, Feiyi had spent most of his time in solitude and matured very quickly in that environment. His grandfather was too busy at the military barracks, his mother was occupied with managing their business and ensuring that things were smooth, and after his brother reached middle school, he went abroad and rarely returned home. He knew that his friend wasn't the type to confide his feelings to others and something like this no longer bothers him. It wasn't the first time nor was it the second time that he was left alone, and surely this wouldn't be the last time either. A sliver of sympathy formed inside of  Yunsheng for his friend.

But it seems that he was always too soft hearted to this audacious person. Feiyi had his phone in his hands as he had just taken a photo of Yunsheng's surprise face with a smirk on his face. He then clicks on the keyboard in an elegant and refined manner.

Yunsheng's phone vibrates in his pocket and his (XYS's) face drops a few degrees colder. This marked the nth time Feiyi had lost a phone to Yunsheng's petulance.

---

Lifting his arms up to stretch, Shinyi had his left hand holding his right. He looked at Yijun who was beaming with joy and Shunyu was in his arms asleep. The entire car ride, the two of them had chat nonstop with the bro-con Yijun by the side snapping pictures.

He couldn't help himself as the two were too cute. Both were dressed in panda outfits and held a treat that resembled a bamboo stick in their hands.

Qiuyue pats Shinyu's head, "Yi'er, are you excited?"

Shinyi bobs his head, "Mm! This... This is my first time going out this far."

Qiuyue giggles at his response and squats in front of him, "Let's go and unpack okay? We're going to go out and explore later."

Shinyi grins and holds onto her hand, "Okay!"

Extending his other hand, Shinyi offers it to Shunyu who had just been placed down by Yijun, "Yu Yu, let's go~"

It would be good if life could always be this blissful.

---

Taking the metro transit instead of the car, they all arrived at the entrance to Jinli Ancient Street. This place was a hot spot for tourists as the commercial area adhered to the 'ancient' theme, having houses still styled of that of the Qing Dynasty. Even though it was only the afternoon, the frolicsome streets were filled with people already.

Inside of the buildings held different kinds of vendors, all harboring a variety of goods. Upon stepping inside, the historic sight gave of a very rustic and inviting feeling.

Shinyi stares with great veneration in his eyes. The buildings were two stories, all had a warm umber color to them as red lanterns hung on the outside of the buildings. The divine scent of the local snacks permeated the air. It made one want to go and savor each and every delectable good available here. Including Shinyi as well. He gulped as he watched the workers move their hands deftly to flip the scrumptious looking finger foods.

In his past, he did not venture out into the world while things were still peaceful and missed the opportunity to experience things. By the time when he was forcefully pushed out, the world had already crumbled down to its knees. Historic places like this no longer existed and were long swept away by the hordes of zombie. If they weren't destroyed by the zombies, they became a temporary abode to house the survivors without any consideration of what it is. No matter how much history a place had in it previously, it would have not mattered as surviving was more important.

A smile perches on his lips, he was thankful for being reborn and being able to experience this. Turning his head left and right, he observed vendors with genuine curiosity twinkling in his eyes.

Two little pandas were very easy to spot in the crowded streets, especially with those two black and white ears on their head. Shunyu would lead Shinyi by the hand from stall to stall and back and forth from one side of the street to the other, so that they could see everything. Eating and drinking different types of food and beverages, from dumplings, a variety of savory kebabs, tanghulus, jianbings, soybean milk, fruit milk, and carbonated salty water, they two of them were stuffed to the brim. Their stomachs protrudes out proudly, as they sip on the warm soybean milk.

Shinyi finally recalls that there was still his other siblings as well and blushes fiercely. He had been too carried away and tossed his face away, running around like a little kid without any worries. He hadn't even considered asking if the others wanted to eat or drink anything. Thankfully there was still two handful of goods leftover.

He turns to Shunyu and whispers softly with the tips of his ears red. They stare at each other and Shunyu's face reddens, he nods his head docilely. Soon enough, the two of them engages in a you-whisper-to-me-I-whisper-to-you session.

The other four stare at the twins with large question marks above their head. What were the two of them talking about for them to act like so? Why were they even whispering for in the first place? Was there a need to be so secretive?

Soon enough, their questions were answered. Shunyu and Shinyi both faced them and at the same time, they spoke. ""We're sorry for being inconsiderate. Did you want some as well Yunsheng ge, Yijun ge, Feiyi dage/ ge, Qiuyue jie?""

Yunsheng felt so blessed at this moment. His eyes water slightly, he had always been looking out for others and rarely did the other reciprocate it to him. He didn't mind though as he felt that it was his job to protect his siblings. A warm bubbliness spreads throughout his body. He squats down in front of them with a big smile on his handsome profile, "Gege will eat whatever you give gege."

With that he opens his mouth for them to feed it to him. Shunyu fed him a sweet pork skewer, while Shinyi fed him a scallion pancake. Yunsheng chews on the food with bulging cheeks like a squirrel and backs off for the others to have their turn. Yijun went next, getting tanghulu and jiaozi. Then Qiuyue with pork chop with rice cakes and spring rolls. The last person to receive their 'generosity' was Feiyi.

He grins at them, "What do you have for dage today?"

Shunyu quickly pulls out pork steam bun and holds it up to him with shiny eyes. Feiyi chuckles and takes bites out of them gracefully. Even though he was taking large mouthfuls, it did not look degrading. Finishing the last bite out of the pork steam bun, he smiles at Shinyi. Scooting closer, he gazes intensely, "Yi'er, what do you have for dage?"

Shinyi feels something off about what they were saying but shakes his head inwardly. What could be so wrong about asking this? Hadn't he just asked Shunyu? Mmn. It must be him over thinking. He reaches out a fried bread stick to Feiyi's face, "For you, dage~"

He did not forget to curry favor with his golden thigh and emphasized that this was for him. Feiyi takes a bite after bite in content as he pinches Shinyi's round cheeks. They were soft and subtle, making him want to grasp and rub them even more. Seeing that there was only one more bite, Feiyi coughs, "Yi'er, do you have anything for dage to drink?"

Shinyi nods and shoves the bottle of fruit milk at him, "Here."

He raises an eyebrow, "You're not going to help feed dage the drink?"

Shinyi furrows his brows but obeys anyways. He opens the bottle with great difficulty and goes on his tippy toe to feed the drink to Feiyi. Feiyi purposefully takes small sips so that their interaction would be elongated. Yunsheng who was standing on the side walks over and takes the drink and fried bread stick from Shinyi's hands. Lifting his friends chin, he shoves the bread stick in first before forcefully pouring the fruit milk into their mouth and closed it shut.

Yunsheng sneers, "Don't bother Yi'er to serve you food. I, your father is more than willing to help feed you."

Feiyi chokes from the abrupt and passionate feeding style and coughs a couple of times. Wiping the moisture off of  his thin lips, he waves his hand in a nonchalant manner, "No need. This servant cannot afford to be fed by her highness³."

Yunsheng grits his teeth, "Don't flatter yourself. I⁴ wouldn't want to use my precious hands to feed you either."

Shinyi and the others found their little bickering to be funny and bursts out in laughter, breaking the solemn mood.

After having their fill, they all head towards the large pond where it held thousands of goldfishes to walk around for a little longer, to help digest the food in their stomach. They all marvel at the sight of the goldfishes as they hadn't seen so many before in one place.

As they were looking, Shinyi raises his head and descries a familiar figure. His whole figure stills as he watches them from afar. Only after their figure disappears into the sea of pedestrians did he tear his eyes away from that location. A complex and indescribable feeling swells in his chest. Never did he think to see someone from that group before their encounter.

Although they were much younger than in his memories, their distinct facial features paired with their unique temperament, there was no mistaking it. Shinyi is able to discern who they were; the hermit.

Yijun notices something wrong with him and bends down to ask, "What's wrong, Yi'er? Do you feel unwell?"

Shinyi nods but doesn't say anything else, his eyes were downcasted and he was looking a little listless. Yujun sighs as he assumes that it is due to overeating. He picks up Shinyi and rubs his stomach, to help digest the food in his little tummy. Shinyi nods but doesn't motion for the other to let him down, making Yijun purse his lips. He holds him against his chest and lightly pats his back, "Yi'er, gege will always be here for you. So if you have anything you want to say, you can always say what you need to, okay?"

Shinyi nods silently in their embrace. Yijun continues to comfort him, "Don't be afraid to call on gege, you can count on gege to be there whenever you need it."

His tiny fists clenches their clothing tighter and hums, "En. I know, gege."

Shinyi closes his eyes and smiles sardonically. How could he not know? No matter if it rained or snowed, they would be willing to toss aside what they were doing, so that they could rush over to him if he ever called on them. It was just very difficult to disclose to those you love about a future that might not happen. Many times, he questioned himself if anything he had lived through was even real but he would always laugh at himself and shake his head. There was no way that it wasn't real, no nightmare would be that detailed.

He would rather have it so that they were ignorant on the matter about the future. It would be better that way, Shinyi understands that there was no stopping what was to going to happen. If it did not come about then, it would have later on somehow. Many things that could be altered, he would attempt to do so and for those that were better off as they had been in the past... He would leave it. Feeling drowsy because of the warmth that radiates off of Yijun and their continuous rubs to his back, Shinyi was lulled to sleep.

---

¹Wo Kao: '我靠', used to express surprise. [ 'Holy sh*t!'/ 'Well f*ck me!'/ 'F*ck!'/ 'F*cking awesome!']

²WeChat: A social media app that is popular in China. They have very cute sticker/gifs thingy...

³Her highness: Feiyi is addressing Yunsheng as if he (YHS) is the empress dowager here.

⁴I: Yunsheng refers to himself as 'aijia' [哀家], how the empress dowager refers to herself as to others.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

634K 35.8K 56
Its journey of two opposite personalities. Will they fall in love or become enemies... Let's see.... *I don't own any characters. This story is pure...
12.9K 436 51
The chairman to one of the renown group in the business world, who can have anyone he wanted should he said the three sacred words to them, fall in...
59.5K 2.4K 146
𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗦 𝗜𝗦𝗡'𝗧 𝗠𝗬 𝗡𝗢𝗩𝗘𝗟. 𝗜 𝗢𝗡𝗟𝗬 𝗣𝗢𝗦𝗧𝗘𝗗 𝗜𝗧 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗢𝗡𝗟𝗜𝗡𝗘 𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗗𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗣𝗨𝗥𝗣𝗢𝗦𝗘. 𝗔𝗟𝗦𝗢 𝗡𝗢𝗧 𝗠𝗬 𝗧𝗥𝗔𝗡𝗦�...
235K 9.8K 30
Kai was inexplicably reborn as a cannon fodder in a game from his previous life. The same appearance but world's script seemed to have given him too...