Love Days

By WinterSleep85

This is a fanfiction based on the incredible story Dog Days. Everyone should read that one first. @Crimson_Gr... More

Murderous Marsupial
Hop, Hop, Hop

Til Rabids Do Us Part

86 11 277
By WinterSleep85

This is a fanfiction based on Dog Days by Crimson_Graves. DO NOT READ if you haven't read Dog Days. She is a fantastic writer and the master of horror on wattpad.

Arryn looked at herself in the mirror. Even the mirror was a sign that the world was no longer the same. It was cracked and there were blood stains on it. It seemed almost a mockery that she was wearing a stunning wedding dress. Unfortunately the spectacular, white dress was sleeveless. It showed the scars on her arms. She truly wished she had picked a dress with long sleeves.

She felt arms wrap around her. "You look beautiful."

Arryn can't kill her smile. "It's bad luck to see the dress."

"I think there can't be any more bad luck in this world."

Arryn turned around to face Lincoln, her eyes drifting back to their reflection. They look like like a young, happy couple with their whole lives ahead of them—as if they have a future. 

Unfortunately Arryn knows that they are living on borrowed time. It won't be long before they are both dead.

Or worse.

It would have been sooner if they had gone to that stupid party. There wasn't much to be grateful for in this world, but Arryn was constantly thankful that Lincoln had talked her out of going to the party.

The party where the dog attacked a young man and killed him. Sometimes Arryn was haunted by the idea it could have been Lincoln.

But he was right there with her. They survived better than most people. Her family, Lincoln's family, Claire and even Austin were able to retreat to the lake house. There, the frazzled survivors gathered together, to face a challenging world.

It had been two years since Arryn's world fell apart—but when Lincoln had his arms around her, it felt like she returned to the safe world of her youth. 

"Where did you find this dress?" Lincoln asked, touching the delicate white fabric.

"Claire and I hunted it down on a supply run," Arryn explained. "Claire didn't tell me we would go shopping for dresses—she knew I would say no."

"I should be upset that you risked your life for a dress...but it was worth it."

Arryn smiled again—very few things could make her smile now. "I'm so lucky I have Claire."  

The door swung open and Arryn tensed—although the sound would have been quite different if it was rabid deer. Instead, it was Austin and Dante. 

"Lincoln! You aren't supposed to be in here with the beautiful bride!" Dante chided him.

Lincoln smiled. Lincoln, Austin and Dante had become great friends—after some initial wariness. The three of them had done some amazing things to keep everyone safe. Some of their stunts scared Arryn to death, but she was so happy Lincoln had these guys to back him up.  

"Have you done the patrols?" Arryn asked sharply.

"Not to worry, Mrs. Mosley—everything is good. We haven't seen a rabid for days," Austin assured her.

Arryn wasn't very reassured. There could be no rabids for days—and then everything could become a nightmare.  

That was how she lost her father.

"I'm not Mrs. Mosley yet," Arryn told Austin.

"But soon you will be!" Austin looked happy—probably because he was imagining the day he would marry Claire. 

It would be soon. Claire already got her own wedding dress when they found Arryn's. Better one dangerous trip than two.

Arryn tried not to roll her eyes as the guys boisterously teased Lincoln about his marriage. She supposed they hadn't had a real bachelor party or any fun, so they were getting it out of their system right now.

But life was too short to be upset about a few harmless jokes.

"I'm going to go see how Claire and Mom are doing with the arrangements." Arryn kissed Lincoln's cheek. 

"Don't be mad about the guys," Lincoln said softly.

"I'm not." Arryn smiled at him. "Austin's just lucky that he doesn't know what Claire says about him."

Of course Austin heard. "What does she say?" he asked.

Arryn smiled innocently. "I just know that you call her 'your sweet perfect angel'."

She left as the guys started teasing Austin. Arryn hadn't wanted to get married at the lake house, but there weren't many safe places left to get married. Claire and Dawn had transformed the room into an enchanting fairylike place. Candles were everywhere, sparkling streamers glittered in the light. 

Arryn waved her hand in front of her place. "Why does it smell like cinnamon everywhere?" she asked.

"Would you rather it smell like rabid guts?" Claire teased gently. Then she put her hand over her mouth. "You look stunning! Lincoln will just die. He really wanted to see you. But I told him over my dead body would he see you before the wedding."

Arryn flinched at the mention of death and decided not to mention that Lincoln had already seen her—there was no point in worrying anyone.  

Dawn smiled at her daughter. "You look lovely. That dress is so pretty. Your father would be so proud."

"That I found a pretty dress?"

"That you are still living. That you haven't given up. This world can never heal if we're too afraid to move forward."

Arryn's stomach twisted. She was thinking of capturing some magical happiness with Lincoln—it hadn't occurred to her that her mother thought she was actually building a future.  

The idea of building a future was scary. Her father had died—killed by a rabid horse. Claire's family was gone—so was Austin's family. It could all be over so fast.  

Something rubbed against her and let out a tiny meow.

Arryn turned around and picked up Oliver and started stroking him.

"You are going to get fur all over your dress," Claire pointed out.

Arryn smiled. "Oliver is a good reminder of why I'm getting married. This world is so bad—but things can still work out. Oliver could have become a rabid, but he was too smart to eat that food. I was so worried when he wasn't eating, but it turned out to be a blessing."  

It wasn't long before the entire group had gathered for the ceremony. Lincoln had dressed up in the most formal clothing they could salvage. The jacket was a little big, but he still looked good.

But looks didn't matter—if looks mattered than Arryn would be marrying Dante. He was the most attractive man that Arryn had ever met in her life, as well as one of the most charming. When he smiled it would light up a room and people were instantly drawn to him.

Not Arryn. She only wanted Lincoln. It took an apocalypse to realize that things like looks weren't relevant. What mattered was that Lincoln was always there for her. He did everything he could to make this horrible world a better place.

He made Arryn want a future.

Dante gave them one last smile before heading out. He and Daniel would be guarding the place. Arryn had wanted him at the wedding, but Dante had insisted it was better to be a lookout.

"There are all kinds of threats out there," Dante had reminded her. "What was one of the last things your father ever told you?"

"Do trust Dante to protect everyone."

"And that's what I am going to do. So you can have your wedding in peace."

It felt like peace. A serenity washed over Arryn as she approached Lincoln. She was surrounded by the people that she loved the most.

Lincoln reached forward for her hand. "Are you ready?" he asked.

"Yeah." Arryn looked toward her mother. "My mom's crying already."

"She cried at graduation, remember?"

Arryn was suprised Lincoln could remember. The only thing that she could remember from that day was her life being changed by a deer. "My mom used to cry at silly things. But since my dad..."

Lincoln kissed her cheek. "Don't think of those things. This is just a normal wedding day."

"Is it?" Arryn looked at him. "In that case...your tie is loose."

Lincoln laughed. "Nagging me already, huh?"

Claire smacked him. "She just wants you to look right for the wedding photos. You don't want to look like a mess next to the two of us."

Arryn laughed at the normalcy of the moment. It was almost like they were young and carefree again. It gave her the confidence to take Lincoln's hand.

Just as the ceremony was about to begin, a noise startled them. Everything was unnaturally silent since civilization had come to a crashing halt. It made every little noise all the more prominent. But this would have been loud even if there was loud music and chatter.

THUMP.

Arryn started. Everyone looked around.

"What was that?" Claire asked.

Arryn opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off by another loud noise.

THUMP.

"Do you think the rabids got in?" Arryn's mom asked anxiously.

"Not with Dante keeping watch," Lincoln said, even as apprehension seeped into his tone.

"We would have heard a shot," Claire agreed.

THUMP.

Claire shook her head and marched to window. "I bet they are just moving things around..."

Her voice trailed off as she gazed out the window. There wasn't much that got to Claire these days—they had seen every kind of horror.

So if Claire was silent, Arryn knew it was bad.

"What is it Claire?" Lincoln asked.

"Get the door!" Claire said quickly.

The door should be locked. They always locked it. But in the happiness of the day, it must have been overlooked. Claire started toward the door, when the door was ripped open with a loud crashing nose.

Arryn's mouth dropped open. She thought she had seen it all. But there, in the doorway, was a rotting, black-eyed kangaroo. The sight of a kangaroo in the doorway would have been ridiculous—if it wasn't so horrifying.

Lincoln's hand tightened around her hand. They were so close that she knew what he was thinking.

They were just about to declare 'til death do us part'.

But no one who made those vows ever thought that a rabid kangaroo would be their death.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
1.5M 48.7K 66
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...
184K 4.1K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
779K 30.7K 42
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...