Something Lost (Original Draf...

By SeriousMoonlight

Alanis had always wanted to leave the settlement she lived in ever since she was a little girl. Together, she... More

Foreward
Prologue
Chapter 1: Mysterious Powers
Chapter 2: A Knight to Remember
Chapter 3: The Serpent and the Tree
Chapter 4: Golden Cloaks
Chapter 5: Berthold's Lord
Chapter 6: Blair's Oath
Chapter 7: Blue-Eyed Brat
Chapter 14: The Ritual
Chapter 15: The Letter
Chapter 16: Centre Yew
Chapter 17: Centre Yew Lower Dungeon Day 1
Chapter 18: Centre Yew Lower Dungeon Day 2
Chapter 19: Centre Yew Lower Dungeon Day 3
Chapter 20: Empty Handed
Chapter 21: The Artist
Chapter 22: Awkward Talk
Chapter 23: Uncertainty
Chapter 24: Your Smile
Chapter 25: A Dragon's Warning
Chapter 26: Lahre Sari
Chapter 27: Commended
Chapter 28: Sorrow
Chapter 29: Relationship?
Chapter 30: The Burning Forest
Chapter 31: The Hermit Shaman
Chapter 32: Letting Go
Chapter 33: White Magic
Chapter 34: Last Memory
Chapter 35: Old Wounds
Chapter 37: Guarded and Delicate
Chapter 38: First Snow
Chapter 39: Back Around
Chapter 40: The Gift
Chapter 41: Followed by a Whisper
Chapter 42: Homage
Chapter 43: Familiar Face
Chapter 44: The Bonding
Chapter 45: A Bitter Kiss
Chapter 46: The Lake
Chapter 47: Crimson Cloak
Chapter 48: Berthold's New Queen
Chapter 49: Farewell
Glossary
Character Profiles with Pictures
Original Concept Art - 1
Original Concept Art - 2
Original Concept Art - 3

Chapter 36: God's Oath

3.8K 172 24
By SeriousMoonlight

*Please remember to click the vote button, I'd super appreciate it, and if you enjoyed my work please follow me for updates. Thank you—

The warm light of the fire lit the pages of Strare Harei that was nestled safely within my lap. I wanted to explore the book before I went to sleep. I looked down at the pages with a different emotion in my heart. The intimidation I had felt earlier was gone; in fact, as I studied its decorated sheets I found I admired it. It was a beautiful work of art, the words were all inked in curvy calligraphy, and detailed illustrations graced almost every passage. The scribe who created this book was not only a magician, he was an artist too.

The pages were not marked with numbers, but by my guess there must have been hundreds of them. I flipped through them in large sections as I examined the pictures, just as a child would, who hadn't learned to read but was curious all the same. I stopped at a picture that reminded me of courage and strength, of Berthold's King. It was an illustration of a majestic eagle with a viper caught in its powerful talons. The beak of the bird was open and its head thrown back, from its mouth a dagger-like tongue escaped, piercing the sky above. I imagined it was shrieking some sort of victory call, so all could hear. My fingers traced the crosshatching of the wing feathers, it still held the indentations of each stroke, just as prominent as it was the day it was drawn.

How I wanted to know these words, they were beautiful to sound out, to hear as they leapt from my mouth one by one. I could only guess their meanings, by the clues the depictions shared. But, Alexander knew these words and soon would teach them to me. I smiled as my thoughts drifted to him, thinking of the time we would share together in the future. It was going to be nice, to get to know him, to bond with him in a way that nobody else could.

Stop it, Stop it, Stop it, I scolded myself.

I had almost lost James because of our little experiment. Thinking about Alexander that way was... was... ridiculous! And I thought James was unavailable, this man was the epitome of unavailability. He was royalty, he was older, he was significant, and not to mention engaged to a princess.

There was that, I sighed, but found my smile once more. It grew large across my face, strong with the secret it concealed. I could still dream, and fantasize, that wouldn't hurt anybody, well, except myself. And besides, it was just a mere thought, an unimportant feeling, it was nothing.

I turned the page.

The illustration that took over the next sheet swept all of my thoughts away from Alexander and my foolish daydreams. I became lost in the picture. It was a drawing of two women that were mirrored to each other. They both sat in front of an oval mirror, and both wore the same bored pose. The only difference that could be noted was within the mirror. The lady on the right mirror reflected her portrait, while the mirror on the left was blackened. Without thinking I began to speak the words that danced across the top of the page. Mani sahre A'avi, I repeated wondering what the words meant. Was it a spell of change, a teleportation spell? I had no clue, but the picture intrigued me all the same.

My eyes began to flutter against the weight of my eyelids. I pressed a feather bookmark against the page and closed Strare Harei. I really needed to get some sleep before the day began. I crawled into bed and watched the lanterns die, one by one.

                                                                    ▬ஜ۩ஜ▬

Sleep didn't come, and it would be just as hard to come by for the next several nights. I would have to relearn how to manage it without company, but it would have to be learned another night - the sun waited for no one and soon it cut through the great horizon. Light poured through the turquoise curtains, flooding the bedroom with a blue calming light.

I rolled over the soft mattress that I sprawled in. My eyes were set on the window. I could hear something faint and muffled emanated from behind it. It was a soft melody that tolled, over and over. My head lifted from the pillow so I could hear the song clearly. But there was still no change in the sound.

I jumped from my bed and dressed quickly while hopping across the cold floor to the window. My finger was nearly pinched in the lock as I unhinged it. As I pushed the windows open the song grew. I sat on the built in window seat, and curled my feet underneath me as I listened to the song. The weather was chilly, but I paid it no mind as I listened to the familiar song the bells sang... and as I listened my sleepy mind awoke remembering where I heard that melody before.

The woman, the Sorrow, had hummed it to me on the shore of Larska River.  I lurched forward and pulled the windows shut.

That song, I must know its name. I jumped from my seat and dressed my bare feet with boots. The melody was coming from a sacred temple where worshipers who believed in the old gods would pray, every morning and night.

Someone there would have the answer I seek.

I flung my bedroom door open. The smell of fresh baked breads filled the shallow breath I took. I froze with my hand latched firmly on the handle of the door. My eyes landed on the stranger who was cutting fruits in my kitchen.

"Good morning, Lady Alanis," The young woman chimed, looking up from the cutting board to where I stood. She wore a short bob cut that exaggerated her plump round face. I noticed her uniform, it was similar to those the handmaidens wore in the castle—was she a castle servant?

"I take it they didn't tell you I'd be by. I can tell by the surprised look on your face." She sighed and carried a plate of cut fruit and breads to the table. "Sit and eat while the bread is good and warm."

My eyes shifted to the front door. "What are those?" I questioned looking over the tall crates that sat beside the door.

She answered while pouring fresh juice into a tall crystal glass, "Earlier this morning, Lord Alexander's Council had those delivered. I'm not sure what was delivered, but" she paused and spoke lowly as if she was about to tell me something that she shouldn't have known. "I did overhear them talking about your wardrobe."

I rushed over to the crates and pried at the sealed lids. I really hoped that they all weren't all filled with clothes. I was already feeling crummy enough now that I was being catered to so lavishly. I didn't want this poor woman thinking that I was on some sort of free ridenot while she was stuck serving me.

"You really should eat first. Those boxes will be there later, they haven't got legs, my dear," she piped up from behind.

I swung my head back to her watching gaze. "Make yourself a plate too. I'll join you in a moment."

"I must politely decline, my lady."

"Why not," I asked as I worked at the wooden lid of one of the larger crate. My fingers slipped under the loose lid and I began to wiggle it slowly, hoping that would loosen it up a little more so I could get a peek at what was inside.

"It's improper," she stated nervously while walking over to where I crouched. I noticed the thick metal spatula she had pressed firmly against her chest. Her fingers twined around the handle, she looked as if she wanted to chase me to the table with it, like some unruly child.

I asked, gaining momentum with the crate, "Whatto eat, or to eat with me? Which is it?" The wooden lid gave and snapped against my fingers, crushing them. If I didn't have company I would have shouted out a chain of terrible profanities, instead I yanked my throbbing fingertips away and waved them in the air.

She dropped the spatula, and rushed to my side. "Are you okay?"

I flexed my hand and gazed over my pink fingertips. "I'm alright. There was no damage. But—" I peered over at the metal instrument and she took the hint. She stood up and grabbed it.

"Thank you," I said as she handed me the spatula. "I'll be done in a minute. Now please take me up on my offer and fix yourself a plate. If you're worried I'm going to report you to the Council or Lord Alexander, don't, I'm more lenient with the rules than they are." I smiled and shoved the spatula underneath the lid. It separated quite easily with that thrust.

I pried open the two tall crates first, they were both filled with clothing. There were also shoes, ceremonial gowns, and dresses - anything I could possibly need for wear was packed into them.

The three smaller crates held books, exotic perfumes, and accessories - including jewelry, real jewelry. I picked up a gaudy headdress and pulled it over my head, wondering if it would fit me. It did. It was extremely extravagant; I had no idea why they would pack something so tacky. Who in their right mind would wear this — apparently me now. I kept it on as I slipped from the floor.

The maid watched as I walked over to where she sat. Was she a maid? At least that's what I figured she was... that or some sort of personal servant. She waited patiently for me to take the first bite of food before she even attempted to eat. It wasn't fair, I thought bitterly. Why was she here, why was she serving me?

"Do you get paid for this?" I asked curtly.

She swallowed her food with a gulp of juice, "Do you think I am mistreated because I am a servant?" She looked a little insulted by my question, like I had broken some sort of unspoken rule to never question the help about their work. "I love my duties if that's what you're getting at. It keeps me out of the fields, and out of the taverns. Being a royal servant to Lord Alexander isn't so bad. It's actually an illustrious job title here in Berthold if you must know."

"That's relieving to hear," I said in between crunches of the hard crust of the bread. She looked away appalled at the way I was disregarding my manners in front of her. "I'm sorry," I mumbled finally remembering them.

"So are you assigned to drop by regularly or did the Council send you here to make sure I didn't burn the guest house down?"

"I'll be around regularly."

I stood up and walked over to the crate that held the essences and perfumes. There was no way I could use all of this, junk, for lack of a better word.

"Do you like perfumesMiss," I paused realizing I hadn't asked for her name.

"My name is Amelia," she replied while standing. And by the way she eagerly rushed to my side, it could be seen that she had an interest in the question I asked.

She stooped down to join me, and I placed a small box of scents in front of her.

"I have a question for you," I asked while we both sampled each fragrance, "Do you know what song the old temple was tolling this morning?"

She twisted the lid off an ice blue bottle; the smell that escaped was divine. "Are you talking about God's Oath?" She closed her eyes with her reply, her fingers danced behind her ears, working the perfume deep into her skin.

"I'm not sure what I'm talking about."

"Well since you said it was the morning bell, it would have to be that song. They play it every morning to honor the goddess, Letando." She plugged the top back into the perfume bottle. "I love this scent..." she breathed smoothly.

"God's Oath," I whispered while dabbing my wrists sparingly with a fragrance that was labeled, 'Blue Flame'. The name of the song was curious, and the fact that it was in honor of the goddess that had blessed me, enchanted me more. I closed my eyes and recalled her voice, the hum of the Sorrow. I found myself humming along with the memory as it took me in.

"Pardon me for snooping—" My eyes opened to her. "But, if you're interested in that ballad then I'd suggest you read one of the old song books that line your walls. The lyrics are really quite romantic," she said while standing to her feet.

"Lyrics," I questioned.

She smiled back. "Yes," Her hand glided across the bookshelf, it struck out quickly, snatching up a small, thin book. "I know it isn't large. The God King wasn't known for his softer side. But sometimes less is" she stopped as the door quaked with a knock.

She handed me the book and walked to the door to answer it. Her head disappeared behind the thick wooden door, muffled words were spoken and then she pulled her head back in. Her hands pushed gingerly at the door, closing it. And her gaze jumped to where I sat.

Her eyes were wide, and her voice low. "You have a guest Lady Alanis. It's Sir James Allard... he would like to speak with you."

I sighed, "Send him in." I wondered if she was aware of the late night visit we had, or if anyone else knew. The look she gave me made me think she did.

She opened the door, allowing him room to step in. A cold gust of air rushed in along with him.

"I'll take my leave and give you some privacy," she said while inching out the door.

I gently tossed her the bottle of perfume she most admired.

Her quick hand caught the blue bottle. "Thank you, my lady." She beamed as she closed the door behind her.

My eyes were lowered as he walked passed me, I wasn't really sure how to start the awkward conversation that loomed between us. We had cleared up most of the mess last night, but the stench of it all still lingered. It would take several days before I felt the same comfort I had with him before our little experiment. Thankfully, he was talented at shifting the mood. He began to laugh subtly at first, and then it grew louder as my gaze rose to him. I knew it was the headdress I wore, but he wouldn't say. I smiled up at him and stood to my feet.

"Good morning."

His laughter faded as he went to reply. "I've known better ones."

He was dressed in his armor which could mean only one thing, that he had an order from Alexander.

"You're dressed in your gear, has Alexander got you on task?"

"That's why I've come by, to say my goodbyes," he replied. "I'll be heading south to Halliwell, after this visit."

My eyes caught the sword that was concealed at his side. "What for," I said feeling a surge of anxiety. I hoped it wasn't anything too dangerous.

"Alexander's wedding is almost a month away. We've been ordered to pick up blessed threads for Princess Charon and Alexander's wedding gowns."

"And they need to send Alexander's Knights to retrieve it?" I asked sarcastically and he smiled back.

"When duty calls... Hey, about last night"

"Don't worry about it. It's already forgotten and forgiven."

He murmured, "I still feel horrible." From the look of his face, he did, his eyes were glossy and tired, he looked as if he didn't sleep a wink last nightsame as I.

"As you should," I teased, though a tinge of my remark rang true.

"Are you hungry, I've got left-overs from breakfast?"

"You made breakfast?" His smile gave away the sarcasm that was hidden within his question.

"No," I laughed, "You know how you were worried about me being alone. Worry not, I've got a servant now."

"Well I'll have to remember that when I get back. I'll be over for every meal. You'll never get rid of me," His reply was a little too relaxed for me. He noticed and smiled politely. "That is, if you want to remain friends."

"Are you crazy? You shouldn't say such things. Besides, I don't think I could replace you that easily."

"Okaysince there's no offending you... I've got to tell you one thing."

"What?"

His eyes studied the headdress that sat atop of my head.

He laughed, "That thing looks ridiculous on you."

My hands rose to the headdress and removed it. "Behave or you'll be wearing it on your task as penance," I cawed while tossing it to the ground.

"Well, I need to get going. I don't want to keep them waiting for much longer." He backed away to the door hesitantly.

"Wait—" I rushed to him, and plowed into his arms. He was surprised by my sudden gesture; his arms were locked at his sides, frozen, stiff.

"How long will you be gone?" I said from beneath his chin.

"A week."

A whole week, I sighed and closed my eyes.

"Promise me you'll be safe. If someone tells you that they have a feeling something bad is going to happen, listen to them," I warned him gently while loosening my arms. As I slipped away, he pulled me back and returned the hug I had given. We pulled apart before our embrace grew too long and uncomfortable.

His smile rushed down at me with his reply, "I doubt we'll run into any trouble, Halliwell is a well-guarded kingdom, same as Berthold. So put away your worry for me... I'll be fine, I assure you." He nudged me before adding, "Thank you, for being as forgiving as you are. What happened wasn't fair to you and I'm sorry for that... I truly am."

"Just give me your word that you'll remember my advice," I replied not wanting to reminisce in the past anymore, it didn't help that he wanted to; he was the type that wouldn't let it die silently.

"You have my word." He winked while opening the door. The cold stung my face as it rushed in, I cradled my cold arms against my chest. Dark billowing clouds were rolling in from the north. Were they snow clouds, I wondered.

He took a step out of the door, knelt down and lifted quickly. When he turned around, my eyes caught the bright red ribbon of a finely wrapped gift in his hands.

"Another gift?" I growled.

"Looks like it. And it's a heavy one too," he answered while handing me the box.

He was right, the box was heavy, it had felt like it was carrying a heavy stone. "Great, when I meet with Alexander later I'll have to tell him to stop. This is getting ridiculous."

He leaned in and kissed my cheek before he spoke, it was both warm and distant. Almost friendly.

"Take care of yourself... and don't get into any trouble while I'm away."

My reply came loose with a staggering smile, "You too."

He walked to Ellah, unhitching her from the post. He noticed I was watching and checked her saddle, like he had advised me to do countless times before.

Be safe, and take care—And don't act like a fool...

He mounted and I waved goodbye, he smiled and waved back.

When he was out of sight I kicked the door shut with my booted foot, and was met with the ominous sound of nothing. This place may have been filled with countless distractions, but it didn't help the lone fact I was trying so desperately to avoid, solitude. I sighed, shedding remorse from my lonesome hull. I needed to stop with the pity-party, and start working on a plan to get my life back in order. I needed to study the old words. And I needed to drop this 20lb weight I was carrying.

My gaze lowered to the heavy box I was holding. I carried it over to the table and sat it down. I wondered what was inside; it was wrapped so carefully that it felt more personal than the other gifts. I tugged the red satin ribbon free, and removed the caramel colored linen that concealed the wooden container. The lid was easily removed, it slipped off effortlessly. The inside was packed with dried flowers and plant life, from what I could tell they were used as some sort of stuffing to keep the object inside secure. It must be fragile... whatever it is. I pushed my hand in and searched through the crunchy clippings, my fingers soon met a smooth, cold surface and pulled it free from the box.

It too was a box, a fiery, golden granite box. The lid was decorated with a finely engraved sun, it covered the center lid. When opened I realized instantly what it was, a music box. I had one as a child, and remembered it fondly - it would often play me to sleep with its sweet melody. But this one was gorgeous compared to the one I had. The inside of the lid was lined in dark blue velvet, golden stars trailed against it, as if it were the night sky. A pop-up porcelain couple stood in front of it on a decorated golden platform, they were both frozen, perpetually, in dance. I searched for the crank, wanting to see the couple move and hear the beautiful song that was trapped inside this box.

I closed the box and flipped it over; the small looped crank was folded flat against its belly. I wound it until it clinked and locked. As I lifted the lid the couple sprang up against the backdrop of the night sky. Slowly, they began to twirl and bob. The music was slow to play, but as it picked up I melted into my seat, my small hands propped my head in place and I leaned forward to watch the captivating couple dance. I smiled kindly, the song that played was the song I had heard earlier this morning, the beautiful melody of God's Oath.

I searched through the book Amelia recommended earlier. And found the page that God's Oath lyrics were written. I was disappointed as I read through the song, it wasn't translated  it was written in the language of the gods. But that disappointment soon faded as I read over a particular lyric. One that was familiar. Mani sahre A'avi. The same words had been written in Strare Harei, it matched them exactly.

What could they mean?

                                                                    ▬ஜ۩ஜ▬

A/N:  Let me know if you're enjoying this story. Please remember to vote if you liked the chapter. Thanks!

I will edit this chapter later for any mistakes once I complete 'Something Lost'.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20 1 4
Matt wanders back into Alexs's life... injured and babbling. Why is he here? Alex doesn't have time to argue, not with Matt's life on the line. Howev...
124 9 40
Rodalya barely escaped the Luxillian army. Silus finds comfort in nature. Maxwell is the only survivor in his kingdom. Omsya is on the run. Chasus is...
2M 146K 70
[ Book 1 of Unexpected Series] " What about destiny?" she asked me softly, her voice barely above a whisper. "What do you think about it?" "D...
3.9K 1.7K 51
Cover by: @Caitlyn-Blayne "After the great war, King Archeron, who was not yet a king, was the obvious choice to be the monarch of Avenlea. He poss...