Enlightened

By adspencer

Seventeen year-old Baylie Storm's charmed life is about to change. An unlikely accident leaves her with a mil... More

Enlightened
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

Chapter 3

15 0 0
By adspencer

It was the third day of summer break. I jumped out of bed to get ready for work, mostly because I was excited about spending the evening with my friends. I’d been working part-time at Blossom’s Florist, a local flower shop, for the past year. I’d always had a creative flair and I’d been good at designing bouquets and fresh flower arrangements since my very first attempt at making them. I enjoyed the company of my boss, Tania, and the other staff members there, so my job was more like play time than work.

Tyler had volunteered to round up Matthew and Stefanie for some fun at my house later in the evening since I’d be busy at work until 6:00 p.m. I was already anxiously anticipating the night long before my day had even begun.

It was a pleasant drive to work. The air smelled fresh and the sky was a gorgeous blue, slathered with puffy, white clouds — the perfect backdrop to get the creative juices flowing.

I parked alongside the brightly colored brick building to allow our customers to have the best parking out front. The sun was already beaming down hotly; my thermostat showed ninety degrees and it wasn’t even 10:00 a.m. yet. I left a window cracked a couple inches so my car’s interior wouldn’t bake in the heat during my shift.

“Good morning, Tania,” I called out before the front door closed behind me. “How are you this morning?”

“Oh, I’m good honey, how are you doing?” she asked.

“I’m good too. I’m just glad its summer and I’m not grounded anymore.” I answered while putting on my green apron and walking to the back door to help our delivery driver unload our new shipment of flowers and supplies.

“I bet you are, sugar! Just don’t try to have too much fun all at once. You can wear yourself out like that.” Tania’s southern accent was exaggerated, perhaps a little on purpose, but it was so cute I giggled at her.

Mark, our flower delivery guy, was just bringing in the second dolly full of boxes so I helped him get them unloaded.

“Why thanks, Miss Baylie,” Mark said charmingly.

“You’re welcome, glad I can help. We don’t want the flowers to wilt in the heat,” I said.

“We sure don’t! See you next week.” He tipped his hat as he was heading back to his cargo van.

That was the typical hospitality I’d grown accustomed to in Savannah.

“Has Madison already gone on her vacation?” I asked Tania.

“Sure did! Her flight left this morning; she’ll be gone for two weeks touring Europe.”

“That’s awesome! I’m still surprised — I can’t believe her parents let her go. I’m pretty positive my parents wouldn’t let me go on a European vacation without them.”

“Well, honey, she wouldn’t be going either if it wasn’t a church group that she went with,” she explained. “Her parents are strict too.”

“Ah, well — that makes me feel better; sometimes I think I’m more sheltered than the average girl is.” I commented, while starting a bouquet.

The day passed quickly with several customers coming in and making orders. It seemed as though June was a very busy month for birthdays around here. I was bombarded with requests for balloon and flower bouquets before lunch time. Before I knew it, it was time to clock out and head home. Just as I got in my vehicle, my phone rang, it was Tyler.

“Hi, Tyler,” I answered.

“Hey, I got in touch with Matthew and Stefanie, so we’ll all be over at about 8:30 p.m. Stefanie wants to do some sort of treasure hunt,” Tyler started in quickly.

“Really, what kind of treasure hunt?” I asked.

“Oh, I don’t know, some kind of girl thing I guess … no offense,” he seemed a little unenthused.

“None taken, who knows maybe it will be fun,” I replied.

“Yeah, I’m sure it will be fun even without treasure,” Tyler said.

Like clockwork, he arrived at 8:30 p.m. with Matthew in tow. The chrome accents on his white truck gleamed in defiance of the moonless night. I gazed silently at it for a moment before I realized Stefanie hadn’t shown up yet.

“Where’s Stef?” I asked the boys.

“She’s getting some jewels for us to use tonight,” Matthew announced.

“Yeah, this should be exciting,” Tyler smirked.

“Is she getting real jewels?” I raised an eyebrow inquisitively.

“Na, I don’t think so. She said something about stopping at the rock shop in the mall and getting some of those polished rocks for this little shindig,” Matthew filled me in.

“Oh, well — that makes more sense.” I nodded at the explanation.

Just a few minutes later Stefanie pulled into the driveway in her brand new SUV, which her father just bought her. We all gathered around and “oohed and awed” over her new vehicle.

“Wow, Stef this is sharp!” I gushed.

I could hear the boys behind me mumbling … “Must be nice.”

“I know, I know, isn’t it just awesome!!!” Stefanie squealed with excitement, and stepped out of the vehicle with four little bags of polished rocks after she’d bragged about all of the gadgets in her new vehicle.

“Okay, so here’s what we’re gonna do,” she began, while handing a bag of rocks to each of us. “We’re gonna each take a bag of jewels and we’re gonna hide ‘em, then we’ll get our flashlights and go on a treasure hunt. And no finding the same jewels you hid, Matthew,” Stefanie teased.

“Sounds like fun,” I said.

“Oh, and whoever finds the most is the winner,” Stefanie added.

“Alright, now we have a competition,” Tyler joined in, finally on board with the treasure hunt idea.

“Are we playing as partners or individually?” Matthew asked.

“We can partner up, that will be even more fun. Baylie, you and Tyler can be partners, and Matthew and I will be partners,” Stefanie announced.

“Okay!” Tyler and I both said in unison then smiled at each other.

The thought popped into my head — maybe Stefanie has a secret crush on Matthew, or perhaps she knew about my feelings for Tyler, even though I hadn’t told her. It seemed as though she volunteered the pairing this way, without any hesitation whatsoever.

There was very little moon light to see by and even less breeze. The night air was heavy and humid, so much so, that when Tyler grabbed a hold of my hand and said, “Come on let’s get started,” I knew his sweaty palms had nothing to do with me, it was just the humidity.

My palms had two reasons to sweat — the humidity and him.

“Come on, hurry up,” Tyler pulled on my hand.

“Okay, I’m trying to keep up. You know we’re not playing for gold, these are just rocks, right?” I teased.

“I know, but you know how much I hate to lose. We can win this easy.” Tyler’s competitive nature took control of him.

I had to laugh at him. I could hear Matthew and Stefanie laughing in the distance too.

As the night progressed our treasure hunt got very intensely competitive. It came down to the wire, but Tyler and I were victorious with one rock more than Stefanie and Matthew had found; not that I was much help, Tyler found at least twice as many as I did.

“Whew,” I struggled to catch my breath. “That was good exercise!” I huffed and laughed at the same time.

Mom must have been watching out the window, because she brought out a pitcher of lemonade for us.

“Thank you, Mrs. Storm,” Tyler said.

“Yes, thank you.” Matthew, Stefanie, and I all joined in.

It didn’t take the boys long at all to gulp down their lemonade. I sipped mine a little more slowly, savoring it. My mother’s lemonade is the best ever! It was the perfect combination of tart and sweet, and always smooth.

“Well, hate to run out so quick, but I’ve got an early morning, so I need to head home.” Tyler announced abruptly, which meant Matthew had to leave too, since they rode together.

“Okay, well — it was a lot of fun. We’ll have to do this again soon.” I sort of demanded, in a nice way. “See you later guys.”

“Bye,” Stefanie called as they were jumping into Tyler’s truck. We both waved as they were leaving.

“Stefanie, do you think your parents will let you stay the night?” I nearly begged.

I hadn’t had this much fun in a long time, and I just wasn’t ready for the night to end.

“I bet they will, I’ll call and ask real quickly,” she said. After seemingly just a few seconds later she announced, “They said yes, yay!”

“That’s awesome,” I replied.

I’d been in desperate need of girl time. I had mushy stuff to talk about, like feelings and confessions to make, which nobody else could be entrusted with.

I dug through the drawers at the bottom of my antique armoire to find Stefanie some pajamas since this was an unplanned, unprepared for, overnight stay. I’d just gotten changed into my favorite, emerald green, pajamas as well and we’d only been talking for a few minutes when we were interrupted.

“Knock, knock,” Dad said, while tapping on my bedroom door.

“Come in,” I called.

“Hey, can you girls keep it down in here? You sound like a bunch of giggling third-graders. Your mother and I are going to bed.” He sounded slightly perturbed as he peeked around the edge of the door without actually coming in.

“Sure. Sorry about that.”

We lowered our voices for a few seconds, but probably sounded like the same group of giggling third-graders before he made it all the way back down the stairs. I had been grounded for four months, and this was my first sleepover in a long time. Stef and I had catching up to do — and gossip to share.

“So …,” I peered at Stefanie with a serious expression on my face. “I have a question.”

“I can tell you have a question — you look like you have a lot of questions!” She started laughing again.

I thumped her with my pillow. “No, seriously … I was wondering, do you have a crush on Matthew?”

“What?” her voice cracked as if to say, well of course I have a crush on him.

“Well, good I’m glad you have a crush on him, because I have a crush on Tyler!” I confessed.

“You do! Hey, wait, I didn’t say I have a crush on Matthew.” Stefanie’s air-headed attempt at a protest totally gave her away.

“Yeah, but you didn’t deny it either, that was all the answer I needed,” I corrected her.

“Yeah, you’re right; I’ve been crushing on him for a while now. He’s just so cute! I love his dimples and pretty blue eyes, and he’s so sweet all the time. It doesn’t matter what I’m in the mood for, he’s always game. He’s just so fun.” She giggled. “Oh, and if I’m not in a good mood, he usually senses it and knows just what to do to make me happy again. What’s not to love?” She went on and on.

“I’ve been struggling for a long time with my feelings for Tyler too. I keep catching myself staring at him, or thinking about him when I should be doing other things. I can’t pinpoint when my feelings changed, I guess it’s a progression that just happened, but I don’t know what to do about it. He’s been a good friend for a long time, and I’m so afraid of ruining our relationship. Stef, what should I do?” I pleaded for help.

“You’re asking me? I don’t know anything about relationships.” Stefanie sounded a little sarcastic, and she made this horrible face then asked, “Do you remember Mason Black from sixth grade? The one that got caught spray painting graffiti on all the lockers? He was my last boyfriend! I know nothing about relationships!!”

“That’s funny, I do remember him. He painted straight across the janitor’s chest; that was how he got caught!” I smiled. “But, getting back to Tyler; I need help, or maybe a psychiatric evaluation, because I’ve been spending way too much time thinking about him.” I paused — my mind wandered.

I deliberated briefly over whether or not I should say what came out of my mouth next. “… When we were all covered in sand the other day and we waded out into the water to rinse off; I think I may have actually groped him a little,” I said, displeased with myself.

“Say what?” she had the same high pitched voice she used moments earlier. I found hilarity in her dramatization of every little word.

“Well, I didn’t do it on purpose. I just remember running my hand up and down his back to help him get the sand off, and then when he turned around, I rinsed his chest — and I just paused longer than I should have when my hand was on his chest. There, are you happy now?” I took a deep breath after I told on myself.

“I guess it doesn’t sound so bad when you explain it like that,” Stefanie reassured me.

“What if I made him mad?”

“You didn’t make him mad, he was here tonight, and he seemed pretty happy to be your treasure hunting partner.”

“Good point, Stef. Thanks for pointing out the things that are too obvious for me to notice on my own.” I shook my head. “Sometimes, I can be a real idiot!” I laughed at myself.

We talked for hours into the night. It felt good to be able to talk to someone who could understand what I was going through. This wasn’t something I could talk to my parents about; they wouldn’t even condone the thought of me liking a boy. Dad had always portrayed boys as though they were evil and germ laden and I should avoid them at all costs.

I’d never even had a real boyfriend; I’d had one date with a real loser named, Toby Carello, at the beginning of ninth grade. He was a junior at the time and it was supposed to be a double date with some of his other acquaintances, but I knew Dad wouldn’t approve so I’d told a fib about who I was going out with. Surprisingly, his other friends didn’t show up … imagine that, so it was just me and him at the movies. He ran his hands over every square inch of my body before the previews were even over, so I got up and walked out. He followed me and tried to stop me from leaving until I buried my knee in his groin. Thank goodness the theatre isn’t very far from our house; I ran the whole way home. He told all of his buddies what I’d done, so I earned the reputation of being the chick nobody wanted to mess with. Matthew and Tyler were pretty much the only guys who even spoke to me.

Matthew was the first boy to hold my hand, but I didn’t volunteer that information with Stefanie — even though I knew she’d probably just laugh about it. I thought about how I felt when she was rolling around in the sand with Tyler only a couple days ago — it was totally innocent, yet I was jealous. My feelings for him were already much stronger than I’d realized.

Long after Stefanie had fallen asleep I was still wide awake thinking; daydreaming in the middle of the night. I wondered if these feelings that I’d been experiencing in regards to Tyler were mutual. Did he lay awake at night thinking about me? Was he feeling the same way I was? I thought there might be a slight possibility that he wanted more than friendship, because he did hold my hand at the movie theatre, and the last day of school he gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. And then at his house, he put his hand near my waist. As I thought about this, a glimmer of hope was born. Maybe he does like me for more than a friend. I wanted him to be my boyfriend, but for now I decided to allow our relationship to develop slowly, without trying to rush it. I didn’t want to mess this up.

The next morning, after Stefanie had left to go back to her house, I began searching for ideas on how to spend the day. I had originally thought that I’d wait a couple weeks to go back to see Grandma, but I had no other plans for the day, so I thought it would be a perfect day to go back for a visit.

Before I’d even started my car I was already thinking about how the conversation would go, and how awkward it would be in the beginning. Introducing myself again then asking nosey questions — hello, I know I seem like a stranger to you, but I’m your granddaughter and I really want you to tell me all your secrets. What are you hiding in your red book?

That likely wouldn’t go over very well. I’d have to use my time during the drive over there to think of a way to be more tactful. Wait a minute — an idea came to me. I went back in the house and got one of our photo albums, from when I was a little girl; the one that has pictures of me from when I was about three or four years old, and we were having a Christmas party with Grandma and Grandpa. Surely she’d remember this, especially if she saw the images.

I started the engine and turned out of the driveway, in the opposite direction of Tyler’s house, secretly wishing he was with me. It was a pretty straight shot to Grand Villa Nursing Home and only about eight miles from our house. As long as it wasn’t rush hour, it didn’t take long to get there. I’d been lucky in timing it just right. It was 10:00 a.m. so the morning traffic had already passed through and the lunch traffic hadn’t started yet.

I swung through a drive-through restaurant to pick up breakfast for Grandma too; a little extra buttering up couldn’t hurt. I made it there in about fifteen minutes.

I checked in at the front desk with the nurse on duty. She didn’t seem quite as friendly as Nurse Julie from the other day. She was so unfriendly — I didn’t even look at her name tag. Rather than walking me to Grandma’s door like Julie had, she just pointed her finger down the hall.

“Third door on the left,” she barked.

“Thank you,” I said curtly, before starting down the hall.

It looked different, because the last time we had come in through the side door by the courtyard. This wasn’t your average nursing home. It didn’t reek of nursing home; it smelled cheerful, like citrus fruit. I kept peeking down at the black and white speckled commercial tile that seemed as though it was freshly polished.

I approached the third door on the left — I stopped and knocked firmly.

The door opened, “Hello?” Grandma appeared very confused to see me standing at her door. “Can I help you?” she asked.

“Um, no … I was just coming to visit you. My name is Baylie Storm, I’m your granddaughter. May I come in?”

“Oh, my granddaughter, are you sure?” Her expression displayed more than simple confusion.

“Yes, I’m sure, you are Betty Windham, you are Caroline Storm’s mother, and my grandmother. I brought breakfast … and pictures.” I smiled, lifting up the brown bagged meal in one hand and the photo album in the other.

“Oh, I like pictures, come in, come in.” She sounded delighted as she opened the door and gestured for my entry.

She moved very gracefully for 93 years old. Her purple tunic accented the silver in her hair, and flowed gently behind her as she walked over to her favorite sitting chair and made herself comfortable. I offered her a sausage biscuit, but she shook her head.

“Na, I’ve already had breakfast honey.”

I opened the photo album that I had brought and I began explaining who everybody was. Grandma viewed each portrait carefully and she smiled innocently; childlike. When she studied the print of her and Grandpa together, she nodded her head.

“Do you remember him?”

“Yes, that’s Harold. I know him. He was my husband,” she became filled with emotion.

“That’s right — and this is Caroline, your daughter,” I pointed to Mom’s portrait.

We scanned through each page and discussed every person in every depiction. Grandma was warming up to me quite nicely. After a while I excused myself to go to the restroom. As soon as I shut the door I checked under the cupboard again to see if her photo album was still there — it was.

“Grandma, I found this when I was in the bathroom.” I said, bringing the red-bound book with me. “Can we look at your photographs, please?”

“I don’t know honey. I don’t like to show those pictures,” she hesitated.

“Well, then I have to confess, I have already peeked at the first two pages, and I think you are amazingly beautiful, and I’m dying to hear the story. Please tell me about these pictures.” The desperation in my voice worked.

“Ah well, alright then. Let’s look,” she nodded.

I settled in the chair beside hers and scooted over as close as I could get. Opening the front cover, I was again lost in the first image.

“Can you tell me about this portrait, Grandma?”

“That’s me,” she said.

“Do you remember how old you were?” I asked.

“I was 18 years old, and I had just moved to the big city to get away; I auditioned on Broadway and I made it. The next few years were a whirlwind,” she explained.

I thought it odd, she emphasized the words to get away — but I quickly dismissed those words as she continued. I hadn’t expected even that much of an explanation, so I was shocked when she went on.

“I became a dancer, and I starred in several Broadway plays. There were many suitors fighting over my attention when Harold found me — he just swept me off my feet.” She blushed, still finding the memory romantic.

“He took me out on the town, treated me to many dinners, brought me a rose every day for thirty days, and was always the perfect gentleman. I fell madly in love with him. I had enjoyed the spotlight, but I was ready to settle down,” she nodded.

She repositioned herself in her reclining rocker and continued, “Harold whisked me away from it all. He treated me like a queen. The best sixty-one years of my life were spent with him. He’d never really wanted to live in New York, he just went there to bring me back, but we stayed there for many years before I was ready to move home to Savannah. We both realized we had become strangers to our family that we’d left behind, so we finally came back and made a life for ourselves here.” She tilted her head and smiled at the memory.

“Wow, Grandma! That sounds so romantic and fascinating … thank you for telling me.” Excitement poured out of me as I turned another page in her album. “Out of curiosity, though — why do you like fire so much?” I asked, again not expecting much of an answer.

“Well …,” she began slowly, pausing to think about her words. “The circus had come to the city … and their star attraction, the girl who jumped through the ring of fire, had injured herself. The ring leader came to our Broadway set looking for someone who could learn the routine and fill in for her at the last minute.” Her eyes lit up, almost like there was a fire behind them.

“All of the other girls were too afraid, so I was nominated, merely because I was the last one to voice any objections. I was afraid too, at first. But then I tried it. I practiced jumping through the ring probably a hundred times without fire. Once I’d gotten my routine just right, they lit the ring on fire.” She gestured in big circular movements.

“I’ll never forget that first time I went through it. I felt so empowered. It was invigorating and addictive. And then I performed in front of thousands of people and the crowd went crazy. Back in those days nobody had seen a lady jump through a ring of fire.” She was jubilant — like she’d just relived the experience.

“Nothing in my life had ever matched that level of excitement. Harold noticed I was entranced with fire. He always kept me away from it. He said it was for my own good.”

I was lost in her honesty as I continued to turn the pages.

There were many depictions of her days in the city on the big stage. There were plenty of photos of her and Harold as well. The pictures had been well cared for, protected from sunlight … with only the corners slightly turned from age.

I came to an image of her and Grandpa holding an infant, my mother. I could literally see their love for her, it was almost as if the portrait was alive and speaking to me, I saw her gently rocking my infant mother, and stroking her cheek. Grandpa stood proudly at her side, with a charismatic smile.

I turned another page to see a group print; perhaps even a class photo. Grandma was a child in this one.

“Who are these people?” I asked, noticing that the boy on her left side and the girl on her right side looked almost familiar to me.

“I can’t remember their names honey, they were classmates for sure,” Grandma guaranteed.

“What about this girl, was she the teacher?” I pointed to the girl on the end, who appeared to be the oldest in the class.

“Yes,” she murmured, while rubbing her forehead as if it would warm up her ability to recall the name.

“… Sara,” she said, after a brief period of silence, with no further explanation.

She contorted her face in way that made me suspicious. She knew more about this person than just the name. Maybe she didn’t want to remember, but I had to ask.

“Do you know her last name?”

“I can’t remember her last name,” she shook her head then added, “but I believe she is still living, or at least she was when Harold passed on, I saw her at the funeral.”

The wheels in my mind turned rapidly. She was at Grandpa’s funeral, and I was at the funeral as well, but I don’t remember anyone named Sara being there. Maybe Mom still has the guest book; I can check the names of those who signed the register. I don’t know why I was so curious about her, but it just seemed like she was hiding another story.

I hugged Grandma, and sincerely thanked her for sharing a part of her life that she somehow found a little bit of embarrassment in; or at least felt like she needed to keep secret. I left with a promise to return to visit again soon.

I rushed home with a new mission in mind. Maybe it was a quirk that I inherited from Dad, but lately anytime I didn’t have the whole story, I felt like it was my job to do a little more digging. I was becoming quite investigative.

“Hey, Mom, do you know where that guest book from Grandpa’s funeral is?” I called out my question before even saying hello as I walked through the front foyer. The heavy mahogany door slammed behind me harder than I’d intended it to.

“Why on earth do you want that?”

“Because — I just got back from visiting Grandma, and she showed me her pictures … when we got to this one group image, she mentioned a girl named Sara, but — you should have seen the expression on her face. There is a story behind it. She’s hiding something.” I filled her in on the details.

“Did she let you look in her red photo album?” Mom asked with a surprised sound in her voice.

“Yes … I had to beg, but … it worked. She moved to New York! And when she was 18 years old, she auditioned for a Broadway show and made it, and she was also a dancer, and she performed in a circus, jumping through a ring of fire. Grandpa swept her off her feet and they fell madly in love.” I rambled about everything I’d learned.

I paused to catch my breath then continued. “When they were ready to settle down they moved back here, but she acted like there was something wrong with this town, and she didn’t truly want to come back. She made it sound like they only came back because of family.” I elaborated as I followed Mom into the den.

“Oh really … that’s odd, I never knew that about my own mother.” Disappointment seeped into her voice as she reached into a desk drawer, pilfering through its contents.

Her hand rested on a gray book. “I think this is it,” she announced, while pulling the book out of the drawer and opening the front cover. Inside it read: On this 12th day of December, 1999 we are gathered in honor of Harold Windham.

“Yep that’s it, do you mind if I see it.” I snatched it from her fingers rather hurriedly.

“Well, slow down missy, I want to look too,” she scolded.

We sat down together and examined the sloppily signed names in the guest register. How are we ever going to know if one of these says Sara? They’re all so illegible.

“Mom, I can’t read any of these names, they’re not even legible,” I complained.

“Well, honey, you have to keep in mind the people signing this were a little distraught, and there was a long line going out the door of the funeral home. It was also cold outside. Let’s just look a little slower.”

I watched her squint her eyes, and run her finger down every line very slowly until she came to one and stopped. Her eyebrows rose; as if they were saying ah-ha.

“This may be it,” she announced, “Sara … Brook … ridge … Sara … Breckrod, oh — maybe Sara Breckenridge.” She sounded out each syllable with the agony of a kindergartner reading a chapter book.

“Can I have it now?” I asked impatiently.

“Sure,” she said, handing the book over to me.

“Sara Breckenridge or Brookridge, it’s kind of hard to tell.”

“So, what are you going to do with this new found information?” Mom raised her hand up in a puzzled motion.

“Well, I’m not sure yet. I guess I just need to do a little research, because Grandma seemed to think that this person is still living. I just want to know what she’s hiding. You should have seen her face, Mom, — then you’d understand why I’m so curious. It’s sort of like the red album, when you saw the expression on her face, it completely gave away the fact there was something juicy hidden in the book. Maybe she just didn’t want us to see the portraits of her in the dancer’s costume on stage, but her reaction to this girl in the snapshot was almost the same. There’s something more … and we need to find out what it is.” I sounded like a junior detective hot on the trail of a serious clue.

“Okay, Sherlock Holmes, let me know what you find out!” Mom smiled sarcastically and then added, “You’re getting more and more like your daddy all the time.”

“Hmm,” I couldn’t think of anything to say to that.

I went to my room and got on my computer to see if I could solve at least part of the mystery. I decided the easiest thing to do would be checking the online obituaries to make sure Sara Brookridge, or Breckenridge, whichever name is correct, hadn’t recently died. I mean gees; this person must be ancient by now. To my surprise, there were no matching obituaries. That’s a good thing I suppose, if she’s still alive, maybe she’s still coherent. And what exactly would I ask her if I had the pleasure of meeting her? Hey, old lady, why does my grandma act like she’s hiding something when she sees your picture?

No — that wouldn’t work. Tactfulness was something I had to think very hard about. It had always been so easy for me to just blurt out what was truly on my mind without thinking about how it would come out.

With that thought, my mind digressed — to Tyler.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6M 152K 33
Cherry blossom lipstick: check Smokey eyes: check Skinny jeans: check Dead kid in the mirror: check For sixteen year old Mattie Hathaway, this is...
53 3 9
Two years before, Madison Meyer's best friend killed herself . . . or that's what they all believed. The truth about Emma's death was something only...
Umbrella By Miles

Teen Fiction

135K 4.5K 32
It's been four years since Marissa had her ex-husband's child. Her mission is to keep that child away from him and to never see him again. This all...
42K 7K 44
[Featured on @Mystery's Bright Young Minds Reading List] [Bootcamp Mentorship Winner '22] This Valentine's Day, Cupid gets a little deadly. *** When...