Queen of the Night (Witchfire...

By AJSCURRAH

Chance Nightshade, daughter of the Melbourne City Alpha, will avenge her brother's murder at any cost. Even i... More

Season List of Witchfire
Dedication
PROLOGUE - Arthur
Chapter 1 - Prophecy
Chapter 2 - Murder on the Mind
Chapter 3 - A Deal With the Devil
Chapter 4 - Deception
Chapter 5 - The Five Stages
Chapter 7 - The Arrogant Prince
Chapter 8 - Absolute Madness
Chapter 9 - Harsh Truths
Chapter 10 - Couple's Row
Chapter 11 - A Hill To Die On
Chapter 12 - Formidable
Chapter 13 - Secrets
Chapter 14 - Silence
Chapter 15 - The Way Between Worlds
Chapter 16 - The Vortex
Chapter 17 - The Council of Thirteen
Chapter 18 - Murder-In-Law
Chapter 19 - Broken
Chapter 20 - Final Farewell
Chapter 21 - Mirror Image
Chapter 22 - King for a Day
Chapter 23 - Collatoral
Chapter 24 - Trial
Chapter 25 - Shadow War
Chapter 26 - Death from Above
Chapter 27 - Salad or Fries
Chapter 28 - Clock Strikes Four
Chapter 29 - Blood Witch
Chapter 30 - Vodka Lantern
Chapter 31 - Manslaughter
Chapter 32 - Heart Stopper
Chapter 33 - Victims of Circumstance
Chapter 34 - Dominantly Yours
Chapter 35 - Pen Pal
Chapter 36 - Recruitment
Chapter 37 - What Say You
Chapter 38 - Mind Fire
Chapter 39 - Mental Graft
Chapter 40 - Interrogation
Chapter 41 - Judge, Jury & Execution
Chapter 42 - Ambush
Chapter 43 - Into the Dark
Chapter 44 - A Pale Ghost
Chapter 45 - Ultimatum
Chapter 46 - A Choice Restored
Chapter 47 - Face the Music
Chapter 48 - A Feral Shade of Amber
Chapter 49 - Family Feud
Chapter 50 - White Wedding
Chapter 51 - Vengeance
EPILOGUE
AFTERWORD... OR AFTER PARTY?!?!

Chapter 6 - Love and War

52.4K 2.5K 481
By AJSCURRAH

My backyard was full of werewolves.

Our servants had mowed acres of lawn for the occasion, and the freshly flattened fields were slowly but surely filling with a mind-boggling mixture of people and wolves. A steady stream of vehicles crawled along the single road like ants, only to be redirected by estate staff into an adjacent field. The underground parking lot must already be full, I thought with a stab of apprehension. There was only one thing my father could want from so many of our kind, and it definitely wasn't good for our race in the long run.

Those in human form wore clothes of all cuts and colours, although there was one feature that persisted: the emblems of their respective district packs, cleverly displayed through an assortment of unassuming accessories. Those who could afford it wore shifting leathers, dyed various colours. I curled my lip at the ostentatious display, particularly the young males strutting about for attention in all their livery. It looked like someone had taken a rainbow and screwed it up in their fist, only to throw it at my feet like trash.

The wind shifted, a blessed reprieve from the stench of testosterone wafting from the crowd. Gold and black flitted within me in response to sentences mangled by the distance. I felt my good eye narrow the tiniest amount, wondering what rumours were being given life today.

"What happened to subservient girls? Back in the day..."

"Look at that awful bruise. They say the vampires did it..."

"... the same eyes... that ugly yellow..."

My hands balled into fists.

"We-well," Sophie stuttered, wiping sweaty palms on the thighs of her jeans. It seemed I wasn't the only one who found the crowd a touch overwhelming. "Here we are. Your father..."

"Is on the stage," I said, demonstrating that my eyes were, in fact, fully functional.

I thought I caught a flash of indignation in my peripheral vision, but when I glanced Sophie's way her pallid skin and flaring nostrils painted a portrait of anxiety instead.

"Thank you for your services. They are no longer required," I said, careful not to fall victim to the heels she'd convinced me to don as I made my way to the makeshift stage. Thankfully, the summer heat had baked the earth hard, making it a relatively easy crossing.

I assumed my usual position by Father's left shoulder, nodding respectfully at Charles on the right. It was strange to reconcile the warrior before me with the man who'd ordered a senior's coffee during our last excursion from the estate. I'd begged him to take me to the museum, to look at all the rare crystals and dinosaur bones, and by some fluke of luck my father not only agreed, but made it a regular occurrence. Cafes and libraries, shopping centers and makers markets. It was only through Charles that I had truly glimpsed the world beyond our borders, sampling but a taste of the life Richard bragged about.

Charles nodded back, but the motion was stiff, his mouth twisting with something unsettlingly close to remorse.

"You look nice," was all he said, looking pointedly ahead.

I frowned, vaguely aware of the other black-clad City Pack members as they filed into formation behind us on the deck. What was all that about?

A servant brought Father a hand-held microphone. The way he snatched it reminded me of a child. 

"Welcome to Melbourne," he said the moment he grasped it, without even testing if it was on. A screech of feedback assured us it was. "I thank you for responding to my summons with such haste, particularly those harking from rural Victoria."

My worst fears were being realised. Father had summoned every district pack in the state. The last time I'd checked, there were almost three-thousand werewolves of age registered in our domain. That was three-thousand prospective soldiers, more than enough to cause a ruckus that could alert humanity to the secret existence of our shadow nation.

"For generations, the vampire race has tried our patience," Father began in earnest, confirming my suspicions. "They encroach on our territories and leech our precious resources. We have graciously shared our city with them, in spite of the danger they pose to our future, the dead bodies they leave behind. We repeatedly forgive their transgressions, yet they show zero gratitude or remorse."

The crowd was muttering, now. Speculating. Agreeing. 

"Do we deserve their disrespect?" Ford shouted.

The answer he wanted was obvious, and they all supplied it readily. "No!"

"For years we kept the peace, foolishly assuming it was the safest option for our people, but the truth has come to light. Last night, London Irephang led a force that ambushed the Melbourne City Heir Pack on one of their routine patrols. This attack resulted in the death of seven men with promising futures. My only son," he said, voice breaking on the word, "... counted among them."

The death of a celebrity was a disturbingly powerful thing. People who'd never met my brother wailed, shouted, sobbed, and blew their noses. Somewhere towards the back, a wolf howled in mourning, which had a chain reaction through the crowd.

Their distress made me feel sick. Arthur was my brother, my friend — not theirs. There must have been something wrong with me, if it was so easy for them to express their grief, but I couldn't even manage a single tear.

"Your children will be next," Father went on, "...unless we do something to stop them."

The people hung on his every word. Ford Nightshade was an excellent motivational speaker, and it was going to get us all killed.

"Are you willing to court death and the destruction of your legacy to keep the vampires in our city?" he asked the crowd, yellow eyes blazing.

"No!"

"Should we let this insult go unpunished?"

"No!"

"Then we go to war!" the City Alpha roared.

Little specks of spittle launched from his mouth. Sun hit the droplets as they sprayed in all directions, a minute explosion of the spectrum. I watched them fall victim to gravity with the same disgusted fascination I harboured for the way he worked the crowd.

"To war!" the people shouted, the words curdling under centuries of passionately cultivated hatred. Even children took up the chant, innocent throats expressing murderous intent. "To war!"

"Yes, to war," my father agreed, suddenly calm again. "Together we will drive the vampires from our city and reclaim our old territories. But in order for this to work, we need stability in our ranks," he warned. "Fighting amongst ourselves will only leave us prone to attack. It is for this reason that I introduce a new law: defiance of your alpha, no matter how petty, is now punishable by death."

My swollen eye twitched. Even though Father was looking dutifully ahead, I could almost feel the way his thoughts revolved around me. I was certain I was the catalyst for this new, severe law. I would have to tread carefully from now on.

"It will only last as long as the war," Father reassured the crowd, noting their uneasiness. "Is it not a trivial cost, compared to the gain of our victory? There will be new territory to claim, districts in need of leadership. If you hunger for power, this is your chance to prove yourself."

That seemed to win most of the people back, if not all. I noted the concerned glances the meek shared, the cornered look in some of their eyes.

"We will win this war," Father said, utterly certain. "We will ensure the safety of our families and take back what is ours. We will become our own people once more, free from the oppression of vampires for as long as we walk this earth!"

Another cheer went up, making my ears ring. I was just resigning myself to the discomfort when Father made a sudden cutting motion with his hand. They gurgled into silence, as if he'd sliced through their vocal cords.

"But that isn't the only reason I have gathered you here today."

I blinked stupidly. It wasn't?

"Though the battle for freedom takes priority, there is another important event I would like all of you to attend. This event would serve as a reminder that some of the most joyous experiences in life can occur amidst pain and struggle."

Wise words, I thought sourly. I knew he was delaying the announcement on purpose to build anticipation. It wasn't often he left me out of the loop, and it left a bitter taste in my mouth. Much to my consternation, I couldn't even remotely fathom what his news was going to be.

"And so it is with great pleasure that I invite you to attend the upcoming wedding of my only surviving heir, Chance Ivory Nightshade. May you wish her happiness and good luck for many years to come with her new husband."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.8K 200 20
She's a hybrid. The Daughter of an alpha blooded she wolf, and a warlock with blood and magic of the first witch family. Powerful, independent, Creat...
247K 20.5K 62
Expelled from her old school for a crime she didn't commit, Ivy must gain the trust of the High Pack at Ridgeview Academy to stop her new home from g...
124K 1.5K 6
Full version completed and available on Dreame. Book 1 in the Viraai series. WARNING - Mature content! Highest rank - #1 in Werewolf. Part of the Wer...
9K 358 21
Welcome back! If you haven't read My Sister's Boyfriend, GO BACK (but not before following and adding this to your library) and CATCH UP! Wyd?!? ***...