G H O S T R U N N E R

By AmberLeeH13

{Completed} Arden is a werewolf. Abused in everyway and used in superstitious practices due to her odd fur co... More

<P R O L O G U E>
<O N E>
<T W O>
< T H R E E >
< F O U R >
< F I V E >
< S I X >
< S E V E N >
< E I G H T >
< N I N E >
< T E N >
< T W E L V E >
< T H I R T E E N >
< F O U R T E E N >
< F I F T E E N >
< S I X T E E N >
< S E V E N T E E N >
< E I G H T T E E N >
< N I N E T E E N >
IF YOU LIKED THIS....
ANOTHER RECOMMENDATION...

< E L E V E N >

24.6K 1.4K 96
By AmberLeeH13

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song-------------------}

< E L E V E N >

“I was thirteen when I first shifted.” Arden begins aware that all eyes are on her. She squirms a bit in her seat but tries her best to keep eye contact like the Alpha asked. “Up to that point I wasn’t really considered anything special. My parents weren’t of high rank in the pack but my grandfather was a good enforcer for the previous Alpha so we had some respect in that way.

Um…my daddy was a rogue and my mom was considered really beautiful. When they met while mom was doing her patrol route they did what any newly mated couples does when they find each other.” Arden blushes and clears her throat before continuing trying to ignore Sam’s gaze on her, “Soon after my mom became pregnant with me and my twin sister.”

“And where is this sister?” Alpha Hank asks.

Arden dips her head, “She’s dead, Alpha. I was given the gene while she was not. She was born prematurely at three months while I came out full term.”

“Oh,” Alpha Neema sniffles, “I’m so sorry for your loss.”

Arden gives the tearful woman a small sad smile, “It’s okay. I didn’t know her and my parents never blamed me for her death. I was raised with loving parents and as time passed I learned the ways of the pack. The Alpha was always separated from us and we never really saw his family much but we knew he had a mate and a son. We just never saw them.

When I was nine my mother brought home Farah. She was fourteen and was a runaway from her strictly religious parents who thought she was unnatural since they were both human. Anyway, she was the first friend I had since the Alpha discouraged children playing or making too much noise. Farah had left the pack for a bit to go on her mate search when she turned eighteen, like most do, so she wasn’t there when I shifted.”

Sam squeezes her hand when she begins to shake and she takes a deep breath before continuing on with her story. This part she always hated the most. This was when everything changed and Arden was tossed into hell.

“The Alpha took note of my coat color since it was tradition for the Alpha to be present at every first shift. The next day, he came to my house and demanded my parents give me to him. My father and mother refused despite it being an Alpha order.

When the Alpha tried to take me by force my mother attacked and her throat was…ripped out. My father fell into shock and grief from the loss of my mother and his soul mate. He couldn’t function, couldn’t even blink without agony and with his wolf as broken as it was, he was easier for the Alpha to banish. I was taken away from everything I knew immediately and brought into the underground cells.”

Arden feels a tear fall down her face but she refuses to acknowledge it knowing that what she shares next could affect her relationship with Sam. He doesn’t know how damaged she really is from her treatment in Blue Bay and she fears he will be disgusted with her as much as she is with herself. She didn’t fight them as hard as she should have and despite her wolfs assurances that she is not to blame, Arden can’t let the shame she feels go.

“Do you need a break, Honey?” Alpha Neema asks kindly.

Arden shakes her head and takes a few cleansing breaths. She’s about to speak again when she hears Sam move his chair closer to her and feels his warm arm as it goes around her shoulders. His lips lay a sweet kiss on her temple and she looks up at him to see him gazing down at her with concern.

“You okay?” he asks softly.

Her lower lip trembles but she nods before facing the equally concerned looking Alpha’s before her.

“I’m okay.” She assures them before beginning again, “T-The cell was small and made of concrete. I had little else but a bucket as a toilet, a large dog bed and a thin scratchy green army blanket. I had a woman named Fiona as my guard first. She was an older woman of the pack and though hard hearted she never did anything to me other then ignore me. She even let Farah come down to visit me and turned the other way when Farah would sneak food in for me.

The Alpha ordered I was to be fed rations and when he caught Farah’s scent in the cells he was outraged. He punished both Fiona and Farah by whipping them with a silver tipped whip while I was forced to watch. Farah was Alpha ordered never to come near the cells again and I didn’t see her again until she recently showed up again.”

“And she is the wolf who is downstairs? Your friend?” Alpha Hank asks gently.

“Yes, Alpha.”

“Hank.”

Arden looks up and frowns, “I’m sorry?”

“Call me Hank, Arden. I think you’ve earned it.”

Arden feels tears build in her eyes again but she forces them down. She still has much to tell the Alphas of White Moon and too little time.

“Um,” She gasps then takes another deep breath, needing to keep some idea of composure before speaking again, “I was fed road kill or moldy bread with only rain water as something to drink. My wolf was weak, I was weak and that was the perfect time for them t strike. I was in the cells for six months before the Alpha thought I was weak enough to give him what he wanted. He came in one night and held me by my hair over a bucket before he took out a knife and…slit my throat. It was then I realized the reason he was so dead set on having me at his disposal was that he wanted my blood.

I didn’t understand why until he brought me in chains to his house and I saw what my blood was being used for. The Alpha’s son, Jeremy, was born with a genetic disease. He was a hemophiliac.

A fall, a scrape or even a bruise could turn into days of internal bleeding that could have lead to his death. Jeremy was seven when I was brought to him and he was like a little king, spoiled and cruel. The Alpha demanded I make his son like us, bite him but I refused, people can’t turn people who aren’t their mates, it’s impossible.

So I was brought back to the cells and as a punishment for my refusal I was…the Alpha allowed a guard to take mating rights not meant for him.” Arden whispers the last part only to hear a fierce growl and a shocked gasp to echo back at her from the Alpha’s in front of her.

“Fuck.” Sam whispers roughly and strained.

Arden ignores them all and continues on with a dead blank tone, “Soon, this became a regular thing. Once a week the un-mated males would come to take out their frustrations on me. I was used as a stress ball of sorts. Beatings were common and torture was frequent, mental as well as physical. My wolf was angry all the time and when she tried to take over they would try to beat her into submission. When that didn’t work they began collaring me.”

Arden moves her hair from her neck and hears Alpha Neema let out a muffled sob. She doesn’t look at the Alphas but instead averts her gaze to her dirt covered bare feet below her. She wonders absently if they have maids or if Neema, considering how far along she is does it all herself.

“Silver?” Hank asks in a very controlled tone.

“Yes, Sir.”

“How did you escape?”

“Well, I was going on what I believe to be my tenth year in the cells when Eliza, or Liza as the others called her, was my guard for the day. She was saying things about my mother and something in me…snapped. I don’t remember much since it was my wolf that took over my body, as weak and broken as it was but the next thing I can remember clearly was running in the woods. That was when I caught sight of Sam’s aunt’s house. I passed the boundary line, denounced my pack and passed out in your territory.”

“We usually would have known a wolf had crossed into our territory.” Alpha Hank muses out loud.

Arden nods, “Yes but I can mask my scent and my wolf.”

Alpha Hank frowns at her in doubt, “How?”

“I don’t know.” Arden admits, “My wolf usually does it on instinct.”

“So this is how you met your mate?” Alpha Neema asks, dabbing her cheeks with a tissue.

Arden’s eyes widen and she dips her head, “I am so sorry, Alpha, I didn’t meant to upset you.”

“Oh enough of that.” Alpha Neema sniffles with an indulgent smile, “Call me Neema.”

“Yes, Mam.”

“Neema.” She corrects softly.

Arden squirms in her chair, “Yes, Neema. That was how I met Sam. He took the collar off, fed me and made me feel safe for the first time in a long time.”

Sam’s arm around her shoulders tightens and he brings her closer to him before laying a soft kiss on her temple again making shocks shoot down the side of her face pleasantly. She glances up at him and is a little nervous to find a tight and obviously forced smile on his face. Her stomach drops to her feet as doubt clenches her heart. Maybe knowing everything he now knows he’ll reject her.

Maybe he doesn’t want someone as damaged as she is.

“You said the Blue Bay Alpha wanted you after he saw your coat color.” Alpha Hank says matter-a-factly.

Arden’s heartbeat picks up pace but her tone is flat, “Yes, Sir.”

“I wish to see it.”

Arden’s palms begin to sweat but she nods, “That’s fine but I have something to ask in turn.”

“Your sanctuary has been granted.” He says without hesitation.

“No. Something else.”

Alpha Hank’s bushy brown brow rises, “Yes?”

“I wish for both May and Sam’s sister, Kayla to be brought her until I can sort out some kind of solution to this situation. I need to know they’re safe. My wolf thinks of them as her pack and she’ll be restless if she doesn’t know they are safe.”

Alpha Hank nods, “Very well. I’ll have Danielle and Parker go and get them.”

“Perhaps you should call them as well.” Arden suggests to Sam, “I don’t want them to freak out thinking they’re from my pack or there to hurt them more then they already have.”

“Wait.” Alpha Hanks asks sitting forward in his chair, “Blue Bay attacked humans on my territory.”

“Yes, Sir. Last night two members and the Gamma of Blue Bay came to the house and beat the two women.”

“Are they alive now?” He growls out.

Arden shakes her head, “My wolf broke out and killed all of them but the Gamma. May’s shotgun took care of him.”

Alpha Hank’s face breaks out into a disarming grin, “Seems Mary-Anne hasn’t changed much since I’ve known her then.”

Arden smiles a little, “No, Sir.”

“While you do that, Sam how about I show Arden your room? You can come find us when you’re finished. You both look very tired from the journey.” Alpha Neema says rising from her mate’s lap, “I’m sure a nice bed and a shower are in order.”

“That’d be great.” Sam agrees with a small nod, “Thanks a lot, Neema.”

“No problem, Sam.”

Arden steps away from Sam with fear radiating through her. What if he decides he doesn’t want her…what will she do? Go into the woods and waste away, she thinks with a sad sigh. She’s about to reach the waiting Alpha Neema when tingles shoot up arm and she’s pull back against Sam’s chest. His stormy gray eyes peer down at her unreadable for a moment before he cups her face with one hand and leans forward.

His lips are nothing like they were in the forest. The kiss is sweet, soft and tender unlike the hurried fervent kiss from before. Her heart picks up in speed again but this time in pleasure as she presses her lips back against his. He doesn’t try to put his tongue in her mouth but the kiss is still a bit opened mouth before he pulls back to look at her again.

Sam leans forward again to lay a kiss on the tip of her nose before laying another on her forehead tenderly. He pulls back again to look down at her then smiles a little crookedly at the dazed looks she’s sure she’s wearing.

“I’ll see you in a minute, alright?”

“Okay.” She breathes.

He kisses her forehead again before pushing her gently towards the smirking Alpha Neema. Arden’s face heats up when he winks at her before reaching into his jeans pocket to pull his phone out. Arden stumbles towards the female Alpha a bit dazed but assured that things haven’t changed. He still wants her and she’s never been so happy about the fact.

>< 

“Holy shit balls!”

Sam rolls his eyes at his sisters yelled words before helping her climb down from the top of the massive gray wolf she rode in on. As soon as her feet hit the ground she begins jumping in place like a kid on too many pixie sticks in excitement. From someone who was called Arden a monster the night before she sure has done a one-eighty, Sam thinks with amusement.

May’s been whisked away by her apparently old friend, Hank and all he gets is a affectionate pat on the back from his still bruised up Aunt. Kayla is bruised too but its hard to tell from the makeup she has slathered on her face to hide it. Sam can’t stop the anger he feels seeing them like that. He wishes he were there to help them though he’s proud of Arden for doing what she did.

He’ll owe her for the rest of his life for being there when he wasn’t.

“That was amazing! Does Arden let you do that?” Kayla asks him in a rush, breaking him out of his inner thoughts.

Sam smiles but rolls his eyes, “Yeah.”

“Why aren’t you more excited about this? This is so freaking cool!”

“I am excited.” Sam assures her with a mocking pat on the head, “I’m just better at hiding it than you are.”

Kayla makes a face at him, “Whatever.” She turns towards the gray wolf and pats its head making it’s large green-gray eyes shutter closed for a second and it’s tail to wag, “Thank you so much, Parker! That was so cool!”

The gray wolf, or Parker, juts its tongue out and licks Kayla’s thigh making her squeal before laughing hysterically. She begins petting between its ears and that’s when Sam starts get suspicious of what may be going on between the two of them. Sam sees the wolf shiver in pleasure and he can’t hold back a chuckle at the fact that his sister may just have a wolf mate, just like him.

Oh the irony.

“What’s so funny?” Kayla asks, not stopping the petting on Parker’s head.

Sam just grins and shrugs, “Nothing.”

Kayla rolls her eyes, “Your weird.”

“Whatever you say.”

Kayla scoffs and turns back towards Parker’s wolf with a pout, “I’m going inside now, Parker but I’ll see you later though right?”

The wolf’s big head nods and Kayla grins

When Kayla’s out of sight Sam turns towards the wolf and can’t stop the smirk he’s been holding to spread across his face, “Mates?”

The wolf head nods again.

Sam whistles lowly before patting the wolf’s head, “Good luck man, you’ll need it.”

Parker whines and tucks his tail before dipping his head.

“Stop teasing him, Sam.” Arden scolds as she walks up along side the very pregnant Alpha female named Neema.

Sam holds up his hands in surrender, “I’m not doing anything bad. Just wishing him luck with Kayla.”

“Mates?” Arden asks the still wolfed out Parker.

Another nod.

Neema squeals in delight, “Oh that’s so exciting! I love it when we get more mated pairs!”

“You’ll do fine, Parker.” Arden assures him softly, “She already knows about us so half the work is already done.”

Parker yips and Sam bursts out laughing.

Arden pulls on his hand and he looks at her softly, “Be nice.”

He smiles crookedly at her, “I’m always nice.”

“Arden?” Hank calls coming out of the mansion, “Mary-Anne and Kayla are settling in now and I’d like to see your wolf.”

Sam notices Arden’s form stiffen, “Okay.”

“Do we have to do this now?” Sam asks, edgy after seeing Arden’s discomfort, “I mean couldn’t you just—“

“It’s fine, Sam.” Arden says with a small smile, “I’m just a bit nervous is all.”

Sam runs a hand over her curls, “I’m here, alright? I got you.”

Arden grabs his hand and kisses the palm, “I know you do.”

Yup, he thinks with a grin, he is definitely in love with Arden.

There is no doubt in his mind now.

Arden lets go of his hand and he immediately feels a bit colder but ignores it. He realizes he’s never seen her turn into a wolf but has only seen her shift back in the prairie at May's. Anticipation flows thick in his veins and he can’t stop the thought he’s just as in love with her wolf as he is with her. Both are beautiful and perfect in his eyes.

As sickeningly lovesick as that sentence is.

Sam cringes at the sounds of bones popping out joint and skin ripping but still he can’t look away as his golden beauty turns into a pure white wolf. Pride fills his chest as he sees her in her second form. Fur like snow, eyes like the sun and a nose as black as coal.

He’s brought out of his fascination when Neema’s voice carries through the oddly silent front yard. Sam turns towards the Alpha couple and doesn’t understand why they look so awestruck as they look at his girl. She’s a wolf like them so this shouldn’t be headline-making news.

“I never thought I’d see the day.” Neema whispers, tears rolling down her cheeks.

“What?” Sam asks, even more confused, “What’s going on?”

“She’s a ghost runner.” Neema whispers in awe.

“A what?”

“A white wolf.” Hank enlightens him roughly. “A wolf of legend. Said to bring luck, strength and power to any pack that crosses its path. They’re blood…is said to be a powerful healer.

Then it all clicks for Sam and the danger becomes even more real.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So, that's Arden's story and she's sticking to it. What do you think about Kayla having a mate? I thought it's be a bit of comic relief in this pretty heavy chapter. Figure out the title now? I'll explain it a bit more in the next chapter and maybe...If you guys be nice and comment I may add a bit of Smexi time for our lovely couple ;}

But that's only if you comment and tell me what you think.

SO....

VOTE, COMMENT AND FOLLOW!

You guys are amazing!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2M 23K 5
Excerpt only: I quickly run in their direction as my claws elongate into fierce points. I watch as a man in all black strikes down and kills one of...
51.3K 1K 29
Can two souls from different worlds collide and not explode? Emily Wild lives up to her name. Being the sole survivor of her pack's slaughter left h...
10.5K 523 52
Follow Ruby as she gets tired of her pack ignoring her and her family pretending she doesn't exist. Watch as the ones who are suppose to love her, he...
1K 12 30
Special animals. What is that? No one knows and they are eager to know. Power hungry alpha mistreats kne of his pack members. She always wondered wh...