The Dragon Master Part III: E...

By Snapmite1998

Four years after the end of the Dragon Wars, Vikings and dragons have forged an everlasting peace with each o... More

Chapter 1: Happy Snoggletog
Chapter 2: Enemies amassing
Chapter 3: Light Fury
Chapter 4: Johann schemes
Chapter 5: Set free
Chapter 6: High alert
Chapter 7: Uniting forces
Chapter 8: Meeting Grimmel
Chapter 9: Emergency meeting
Chapter 10: Salvage operation
Chapter 11: The snake reveals its true nature
Chapter 12: Defender of the Bewilderbeast
Chapter 13: Call to the wild
Chapter 14: Snatched
Chapter 15: Deep trouble
Chapter 16: Slavery
Chapter 17: Dragon killers
Chapter 18: Flyers inbound
Chapter 19: Rescue
Chapter 20: Losing your bloodline
Chapter 21: Reunited
Chapter 22: In your arms
Chapter 23: Pushing your limits
Chapter 24: Assassination attempt
Chapter 25: Berk is lost
Chapter 26: On the run
Chapter 27: Patience
Chapter 28: Reaching out
Chapter 29: A new home
Chapter 30: The great waterfall at the edge of the world
Chapter 31: Now thats a king
Chapter 32: The game comes to an end
Chapter 33: War on the horizon
Chapter 34: Devastating defeat
Chapter 35: Not everything
Chapter 36: Final battle part I
Chapter 37: Final battle part II
Chapter 38: Finishing the war
Chapter 39: Goodbye

Chapter 40: Together from afar

1.5K 14 24
By Snapmite1998

A/N: So, I know Zephyr is the oldest and Nuffink is the youngest, but in the previous chapter? I wanted them both to be twins, so they're both five years old in this final chapter and basically, this whole franchise of the Dragon Master is Astrid telling the children about Berks past, its wars with dragons, Drago, Grimmel and the Cabal, and how Hiccup became the most famous Viking of their world. Not gonna lie to y'all, this final chapter will bring tears to you. But anyway, sit back and enjoy the final chapter of the Dragon Master franchise.

(New Berk, five years after the war with the Cabal— Astrid's pov)

"And thats the story of the Dragon Master, Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III. Your very heroic and famous father."

My children— Zephyr and Nuffink's were born the same day I conceived them and they were twins. I was far too familiar with giving birth, only, Hiccup wasn't by my side see just how beautiful our son and daughter turned out to be.

Zephyr had light auburn hair, similar to her grandfathers, she had ocean blue eyes like me, she's is very playful and full of energy. She also has her father's nervous personality, and carrying notebooks around with her like Hiccup had when he was a boy. Zephyr's outfit and hairstyle are very similar to what I wore when I was her age. Her light brownish-auburn hair is pulled into two banded pigtails under a studded kransen. She wears a sleeveless tunic in a grayish or dark blue or green color, a large red sash, a reddish brown leather skirt with blunt metal studs. She also wears olive green cloth bracers with fur cuffs on her forearms, sets of leather bands around her biceps, green beaded shoulder pads, and a small green pouch on her belt similar to mine. She wears a small red bag over her shoulder that has a print of a Night Fury's head on it.

Nuffink is so much like Hiccup, my son has a thin, lanky body and sand-like shaggy hair similar to Hiccup when he was a boy. He has Hiccup's forest green eyes, and light blonde hair which he got from me. Like Hiccup, he has a few small braids in the back of his hair. He wears a light tan long-sleeved shirt with a decorative lining on the end of his sleeve. He also wears a necklace that is set with three sharp teeth, from wolves. He also wears a belt with a buckle shaped like a Night Fury's head, curtsey of Gobber, who crafted that just for him, like me, my son has an adventurous and turbulent personality.

Both their eyes went wide and mouths gaped open as I had told them of how Hiccup and I made met, how we fell in love, the three hundred year war with  dragons, how the former Outcast and Berserker alliance enslaved the Red Death, how I trained my first dragon in the form of Shade, the war with Drago, Grimmel, the Cabal, the dragons returning to the wild and... how Hiccup gave his life to ensure Toothless could live in safety and live free in the Hidden World.

Both my children glanced at each other before turning back to me and my daughter spoke up. "So... our father was the first man in Midgard to ride a dragon?" I chuckled lightly and shook my head. "Actually your grandmother Valka was the first dragon rider of our world, your father was the second."

Turning to Nuffink, I could see... sadness in his eyes, I gently cupped his cheek and smile lightly at him. "What's wrong son?" I ask, he sniffles lightly and stammers out. "A-Are... you going to get us a new Dad?" My eyes widened at his question, its no secret since Hiccup's death that many Viking earls, jarls and kings have proposed alliances through marriage to me, but I... I just couldn't. So I respectfully declined their marriage proposals because I never really got over Hiccup's death. There were nights where sleep evaded me due to nightmares and how I lost the love of my life. So when that happened? Valka would have to take over running the village with Gobber's help because I'd be out cold.

"Yeah Mom, will you ever get us a new Daddy?" Zephyr asked as well, pulling both my five year olds into my lap, they sat on each of my knees and I kissed their foreheads and shook my head at their questions. "I don't want another." I confessed, closing my eyes, I sigh heavily and turn to each of my children. "Your father? He was the only man for me. He was the love of my life, my soulmate. Nobody could ever replace him."

I let out a shuddering breath and smile at both Zephyr and Nuffink while caressing their hair and added. "But with love, also comes loss my children. Its part of the deal." Nuffink cocks his head and asks. "W-What does that mean Mommy?" I turn to my son and smile lightly at him and answer his question. "It means not everything you love will be on Midgard forever. Like me. I'll die one day, either in battle or of old age and when I do? I'll be reunited with your father."

"No! You can't die! We need you!!" Zephyr cried out while tugging on my white wolf cloak, I turned to my daughter and kissed her forehead and gazed into her ocean blue eyes. "There will be a time when both you and your brother will have to live without me Zephyr. Its my job as a parent to raise both of you into legendary warriors and its up to you two what you do with everything you've learned from me, your grandmother, Gobber and everyone else here."

Zephyr nodded in understanding and embraced me tightly, as did Nuffink, I chuckled lightly and embraced my children back while kissing both their heads. The moonlight outside told me that it was my children's bedtime, so, breaking off from children's embrace, I caressed both their cheeks and pointed upstairs. "Alright you two, its bedtime." Both Zephyr and Nuffink looked at each other and groaned in disapproval and turned back to me with pleading tones as they spoke. "But Mom..." They both said, but I quickly cut them off.

"Uh uh, no 'buts.' C'mon, you two are going hunting with Eret tomorrow." I informed, both Zephyr and Nuffink sighed but nodded as I smiled at them and led my children to their rooms and kissed them both goodnight and extinguished the candles in their rooms and let the dreams come for them both.

Heading back down stairs, I gazed into a mirror and took in my appearance. I was wearing black leather armor with an ocean blue tunic underneath, I wore a studded leather skirt, I wore gray leggings and sleek black leather boots and was wrapped in my white wolf cloak. Taking a look at my hair, it was in a Summer braid style with multiple gold cuffs in my hair. Sure, I couldn't deny I was pretty, because many men not only desired me because I was a legendary shield maiden, former wife to Hiccup and Dragon Master, but they also desired me for my... "drop dead beauty."

Turning away from the mirror, I open the door to my home and gaze upon New Berk, the late hours of the night tell me that everyone is asleep by now, only the Berk Guards and Black Guards of both Hooligan and Strike people were awake; ensuring our home was secured and that no intruders were present.

Knowing that sleep was what I needed after an exhausting day, there was one more thing I needed to do, or more specifically, say goodnight to someone. Making my way to where our people built a massive memorial ground for everyone we lost during the bloody wars we fought. The names were engraved in stone and were on a massive stone tablets, but the leaders of our combined people stood and their legacy was engraved at the base of their statues.

Looking up at the statue of my beloved Hiccup, I smiled up at the engraved face of the man I loved with every fiber of my being and greeted him for the first time in five years after his death, much to my regret, but now? I needed to speak to my husband. "Hey Hiccup. It's me again. Astrid. Your wife. Remember me?" I laughed lightly before continuing. "How are you in Valhalla? How are you and Stoick? Hope you both are good. We... we here we... everyone here is fine we... so many things have happened since you... you'd be surprised." I sighed heavily before clarifying. "The twins built a shop where they sell crazy inventions. Yeah, I have no idea how that worked out for them. Fishlegs is a teacher now, and the children all love him. I gave Asbjorn the title of Commander of Berks army, both Hooligan and Strike. Heather and Fishlegs are about to be married in three moons too! About time." I said with a light chuckle, a chuckle that didn't last long and soon turned into a sorrowful sigh.

"Hiccup... I don't know if you can hear me or... if I'm just talking to myself like a crazy person. I just..." I pursed my lips as tears clouded my vision and I whispered out while placing my hand at the foot of Hiccup's statue. "...gods, I miss you so much Hiccup." Whimpering slightly, I continue speaking in a hushed tone. "I miss the warmth your body gave me to keep the cold away after we'd make love, I missed your dorky smile, your sarcasm... I miss you. All of you."

My voice cracked with soft sobs and quick breaths. "It hurts Hiccup! It hurts so damn much! Living without you!!" I pressed my forehead against the statues shin and sobbed out. "You promised me there would always be a Hiccup and Astrid. You promised!" I choked out while tears poured down my cheeks, and I could feel my heart shattering all over again. Pounding my fist against the statues foot, I murmured out. "I hate you for leaving me alone. I hate you for leaving Berk without its chief and all the people who cared about you." My cheeks were soaked, my eyes burned and my sorrow only grew as I continued. "I hate that you left me to lead our people and to raise our children alone."

I raised my head and could see a full moon above me as its radiant light shone down on me and I closed my eyes before continuing to pour my heart to my long dead husband. "I am the person I am today because of you. I never got the chance to tell you that, but its true!" Whimpering to myself, I wrap my wolf fur cloak tighter around my body as a cold breeze ran through my body and I then gazed up into Hiccup's engraved face. "I... I made a song thats dedicated to us Hiccup, would you like to hear it?" Clearing my throat and wiping away my tears, I lick my lips and sang softly.

"You and I, we've been through it all
Is it time to say goodbye?
Dry your eye
We have been together so long
Is it time to let go?
Apart we grow
Soon we will know..."

Closing my eyes, I imagine Hiccup is wrapping his arms around me and peppering my cheeks and neck with feather like kisses as I continue singing.

"...You are the reason to go on living
I need to try things and be on my own
We'll always be together but in different realms
We'll be together from afar, forever
Listen, listen within, ooh..."

Reaching out, I place my hand back on the foot of Hiccup's foot and remember when were children and chased each other in grasslands on Old Berk. How the sun warmed our skin, the fun we had and the love we had for each other started to blossom even as children. I let out a shuddering sob as I continue singing.

"...We have been, we've been everywhere
To the stars and back again, yes my love
We have seen, we've seen everything
But will I ever see you again, my beloved?
Time will tell..."

I remembered all the times Hiccup and I made love, how thrilling it was, how passionate and pleasurable it was and how that act of love produced us with heirs; sons and daughters. Now? I'm blessed with Zephyr and Nuffink and will make sure my children never forget the father they never knew.

"...You are the reason to go on living
I need to try this and be on my own
We'll always be together but in different realms
We'll be together from afar, forever
Listen, listen within, ooh..."

I take a minute to catch my breath and remember every memory I had of my beloved. Every argument, every fight, kiss, and touch and conclude my song as a tribute to our love.

"...You and I, there will always be an us
May we meet again in Valhalla
You and I, there will always be an us
May we meet again in Valhalla
You and I, there will always be an us
May we meet again in Valhalla
You and I, there will always be an us
May we meet again in Valhalla."

Repeating that line four times, I pant heavily and let another wave of tears slide down my cheeks and let the depth of that song crash down on me like a tidal wave.

"So... thats it." I said as I looked at the full moon one last time before murmuring out. "Goodnight Hiccup. Rest well my love, rest. You've more than earned it." Kissing the tips of my fingers, I place my fingers at Hiccup's feet and return back home, strip my clothing off, I slip into my night gown and wrap myself tightly in the furs, looking to where Hiccup used to sleep, I notice a small lock of auburn hair on Hiccup's pillow. With shaky hands, I grasp the lock of hair and clutch it close to my heart and cry myself to sleep.

Had I gotten any sleep at all since Grimmel took away my beloved? No, well, not as much sleep as before. Could I get a proper nights rest anytime soon? Probably not. Because every time I close my eyes, I could hear Hiccup's final goodbye to Toothless, Valka and to me.

Not that it made it better for me. I would never get over Hiccup's death, he changed our worlds history by showing us dragons are kind, compassionate and amazing creatures to bond with. And every second I spent with Hiccup was Valhalla here on Midgard. Every kiss, every word of encouragement, every fight, every argument, every joke and every time we made love? I would cherish all those memories and times in my heart until my time here was up and I would be reunited with my beloved in Valhalla. I meant every word to my children, I would never marry another man again because Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III was the only man for me.

He was my soulmate.

Continuing to clutch Hiccup's lock of hair to my chest, I murmured one last time before sleep finally took me.

"Goodnight Hiccup. I love you so much. And may we meet again in Valhalla my love."

A/N: Wow. What an end not only to this story, but to the Dreamworks Dragons franchise. This is the only animated series that I will always cherish in my heart. Thank you Dean and Cressida for making the greatest animated series come to life and thank you for making us care about these characters so much. That's it for the Dragon Master series, be sure to leave feedback and I'll catch y'all in the next story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.5K 1.1K 12
Another time, another story... After the events of Drago and his Dragon Army, Hiccup stepped up to his new responsibilities as Chief. And Y/n stood b...
105K 1.2K 26
To anyone who reads this, As it pains me to say this, I ran away from Berk. There I said it. Look, its not that I don't love being on Berk. But I ca...
91.9K 1.4K 30
Hiccup never belonged amongst Vikings, so he visits Berks Seer to question the ancient one about his fate, and Hiccup learns that he is destined to t...
222K 6.9K 18
Everyone on Berk believes Toothless to be the last Night Fury, the only one of his kind left. But all that changes when a black dragon appears on the...