The Jack of Souls (Multi-awa...

By StephenMerlino

************************************************************************************** An outcast rogue must... More

Chapter 1a - Cursed
Chapter 1b - The Dead
Chapter 1c - Fog & Fire
Chapter 1d - Naked in the Wind
Chapter 2a - Sir Willard's Error
Chapter 2b - Blood on the Stones
Chapter 3a - What Dreams May Come
Chapter 3b - Curse & Counterspell
Chapter 3c - Madness Revisited
Chapter 3d - Trickery
Chapter 3e - Twenty
Chapter 4a - Of Debt & Hexes
Chapter 4c - Gallows Ferry Gauntlet
Chapter 5a - Betrayed
Chapter 5b - Painted Vengeance
Chapter 6a - Hex
Chapter 6b - Magic
Chapter 6c - A Hanging
Chapter 7a - Trapped
Chapter 7b - Phyros Thief
Chapter 7c - Bastard Brains
Chapter 8a - Father Kogan's Outdoor Stageplay
Chapter 8b - Of Hexes and Wedding Rings
Chapter 9a - Fingers Over Fist
Chapter 9b - Ill-Gotten Gifts
Chapter 10a - Of Gods and Monsters
Chapter 10b - Fist Over Fingers
Chapter 11a - Good Riddance
Chapter 11b - Ill Met in Gallows Ferry
Chapter 12a - The Stableboys' Revenge
Chapter 12b - Unholy Heximony
Chapter 13a - The High Prince and the Hostess
Chapter 13b - Princely Hex Hangover
Chapter 14a - When Confronting a God
Chapter 14b - Sir Bannus in Glory
Chapter 15a - Of Hexes, Charms, and Foolish Oaths
Chapter 15b - A Triumph of Trickery
Chapter 16a - Whispers & Wounds
Chapter 17 - Father Kogan Greets the Mob
Chapter 18 - Smoked Out & Hunted
Chapter 19 - Father Kogan's Hidey Hole
Chapter 20 - Attacked
Chapter 21a - Steel & Magic
Chaper 21b - A Secret and an Oath
Chapter 22 - Of Herbs & Hauntings
Chapter 23 - Father Kogan the White
Chapter 24a - A Race of Bastards
Chapter 24b - Castle Break, or Of Doves, Locks, and Magic
Chapter 24c - Trickery & Guile
Chapter 25a - Strange Refuge
Chapter 25b - The Witch
Chapter 26 - Hope & Revenge
Chapter 27a - The Witch's Creature
Chapter 27b - Warning & Decision
Chapter 28 - Father Kogan's Sacrifice
Chapter 29 - Foul Fiends & Good Fortune
Chapter 30 - Old SKills, New Skills
Chapter 31 - Father Kogan Fills His Belly
Chapter 32 - The Unseen
Chapter 33 - Slavery & Freedom
Chapter 34a - Desperation
Chapter 34b - Despair
Chapter 34c - Father Kogan Slakes His Thirst
Chapter 35 - Sir Bannus
Epilogue

Chapter 16b - A Midnight Visitation

4K 317 16
By StephenMerlino

Harric woke to Spook yowling and spitting and clawing at his chest. His hand went to swipe the cat away, only to find a set of cold hands there already, grabbing at his shirt and grasping at the cat. Red moonlight illuminated a cloaking fog and glimpses of pale bodies striving around him.

"Fog!" he cried out, beating the hands back, but they persisted with fiendish strength. The cat staged a yowling frenzy in his arms. Caris cried out, her voice uncannily loud and near in the fog, and the body groping him suddenly crashed sideways and tumbled over him, its bony knees sending daggers of pain through his ribs.

Caris was cursing like a raftsman. Her sword flashed, deadly silent, and the body beside him vanished into mist. Another jolted, her blade transfixing its middle, and vanished before it hit the ground. Harric rolled to his side, the cat still tangled in his shirt, and scanned about, ready to run.

They were alone.

Caris stood over him, sword glinting dully. In the red light of the Mad Moon he caught a glimpse of rage and terror on her face. All around them, the fog was sinking into the earth with uncanny speed. In the space of a half dozen breaths, it was gone.

"Hurric?" Willard's voice slurred from Brolli's sleeping concoction. "Whad in the Black Moon're ya playin' at?"

The old knight tottered into a patch of red light, gigantic whiskers askew, a sword in his hand, still in its sheath. He'd somehow waked and clambered to his feet, despite the sleeping draft Brolli had given him. The act had called forth new blood from his hip, which already filled the bandage. Brolli, was nowhere to be seen; apparently he'd gone to watch their trail for pursuers.

"Just the cat, sir," Harric said. "Must have rolled over on him. Won't happen again."

Willard stared, face slack and groggy. "The cat. Gods leave us. Sounded like the Battle of Arkam."

Caris turned so her body partly concealed the sword in her hand.

"Sorry, sir," said Harric, trying to keep the knight's attention from her. "You can go back to sleep. No problem."

Willard stared at Caris. "Awfully big sword for a cat," he said. "You two aren't fighting, are you?" A wry smile twisted his mouth beneath the crooked mustachios. "If he tried to kiss you, girl, a good slap would do the trick. In your case, it might knock him out. No need for a sword."

Caris didn't seem able to meet his eyes. Her brow furrowed, and Harric sensed she was about to curl up in crisis.

"You're bleeding pretty bad, sir," Harric said, trying to divert Willard's attention.

"Eh? Damned bandages." Willard scowled at the mess of linen.

"We'll have to change those wads out before you go back to sleep," Harric said.

Caris had begun to crouch, hands to ears, but these comments drew her out. She looked up, and Harric followed her gaze to the ruined bandages. The panic drained from her expression, replaced with outward determination rivaling her intensity during combat. Her hands dropped, she stood erect, and strode to Willard.

"Lie down, sir," she said, "I'll fix your bandage."

Willard scowled. "What, you haven't kept me awake long enough?" He limped back to his bed as Caris went for the linen. "Here's a hint, boy," he said, crouching into his bed. "Don't go feeling her up when a sword's near at hand."

"You think I'd need to steal a feel when she's got that ring on?"

Willard grunted as he sank heavily into a seating position. "Probably not. Here's your only warning then: if that cat wakes me again, I'll boil it for breakfast."

Harric watched as Caris moved through the camp, all signs of panic gone, hands moving rapidly through her saddle pack for linens. External crisis, it seemed, focused her and held her together; when it left she might clap her hands to her ears and curl up in a ball, but until then she was as cool as any field captain - maybe more so. He recalled the first night his mother's spirits had attacked, how she'd fought and triumphed with him, then after the fight fled to the stables.

Caris changed Willard's linens as best she could. The old knight was asleep before she'd finished. By then, the fog was totally gone. Without a word she fetched her blankets from her sleeping spot near Rag, and dropped them beside Harric. She sat and faced him, seething with emotion.

"I'm sleeping here," she said.

He nodded, a queer mixture of guilt and dread and anger brewing in his chest.

"I'm sorry, Caris," he said, quietly. "I thought it was over. I thought we'd beaten her."

"She attacked me, Harric. Why'd she send her - creatures? - after me?"

"You?" he said, stunned. "I thought they grabbed Spook."

She displayed a bandage she'd wrapped around her arm, slightly red with blood. "The only reason I survived is because you had woken me with your moaning."

"I was moaning?"

"You were having a nightmare, I guess, weeping and talking so loud it woke me up all the way across the camp. The only reason Willard didn't wake was because of his rag tea. And when I woke up I saw the fog, and it made me worried, so I came to sit with you." She glanced away, blushing, as if caught in a confession, but kept talking, to hide it. "There were three of those fog men, and only one went for the cat. The other two came at me. Me, Harric. Not you. If I hadn't heard them coming, they would have got me."

A cold pit opened under Harric's stomach. He clenched his teeth. His hand found the stone beneath his shirt, and balled his fist around it so hard his knuckles ached. "I've got to end this."

"We've got to end this."

"This is my problem - "

"Not any more it's not," she said, nearly snarling. "Now it's personal, and I swear if I ever get a chance, I'll cut that bitch in two."

Harric grinned, surprised at her vehemence. "Best girl in Arkendia," he muttered to himself. She gave him a quizzical look, but he shrugged the question off. "Thanks. You're my guardian spirit. Maybe that's why she doesn't like you."

Caris snorted. She relaxed a little, and he could see she was pleased, but her brow remained furrowed. "First thing we have to do is tell Willard," she said. "I'm going to tell him."

"Whoa! Wait." He laid a hand on her arm as she made to get up. "That's not a good idea," he said, mind whirling to address this unexpected turn. "The fog's gone, we're not in danger now. He needs to sleep."

Her eyes narrowed. "I'm not going to lie to him, Harric."

"Of course not. I'm not asking you to lie to him. But we don't have to tell him, either. Think about it," he said, climbing painfully into a sitting position so he could meet her eyes. "Willard has enough to worry about, keeping Brolli safe and getting us through this wilderness, and, honestly, Caris, we're fine. She hasn't hurt us yet. Just given us a good scare."

"She's tried to murder us both!"

"And we handled it both times, thanks to you." He laid a gentle hand on her arm, and in spite of herself, she gave a small smile. "The fact is," he said, lowering his voice and glancing at Willard, "If we tell Willard, I'm afraid he might think we endanger his mission and reconsider our apprenticeships."

Caris's eyes widened in alarm. She opened her mouth as if to ask a question, then closed it, her brow furrowed in distress. "Do you think he would?"

"He might. But it really doesn't involve him, and it would only worry him unnecessarily. He really doesn't need to know." And she didn't need to know about his mother's influence on Bannus. Not yet. Not until Harric knew if his mother was bluffing, or if the witch stone somehow protected them.

She stared at Willard, chewing her lip. "I suppose you're right. For now."

Harric nodded. He sighed inwardly, feeling like he dodged a disaster. "Good. Right."

He laid back on his blanket, wincing as his ribs shot daggers through his flesh. "Think we can get any sleep tonight?" In spite of everything, the moment he closed his eyelids, he struggled to lift them again.

She was frowning at him. A look of concern passed behind her eyes. "From now on," she said, "until we get to the fire-cone tower, we sleep together." She drew her sword from her scabbard and laid it naked between them. "We'll take turns keeping watch for the fog. If it comes back, we'll both be awake together."

*************************************

Thanks for reading!

-- If you liked this chapter, please tell a friend!

-- And let me know with a comment or vote.

-- Even if you didn't enjoy it, please let me know. That's how I improve! :)

* For JACK OF SOULS news , sign up for the newsletter at stephenmerlino.com. *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

382K 26K 45
Fantasy and Magic meets Science and Technology. In this epic story of brotherly love, friendship, struggle, and conspiracy, come join in on an advent...
12.1K 96 9
The game of life is always rigged. This is known. But the real mystery of existence was never about life... it was about death. How could death, suc...
49.5K 1.3K 30
I lean close enough that our lips brush when I speak. "He isn't worth it." I say, but he doesn't look convinced. I smirk as an idea pops in my he...
1.2K 513 31
** When a wish brings devastating consequences, Pan must join forces with a fallen star to stop the walking dead before Neverland sinks into eternal...