Don't Make Promises You Can't...

By SarahLermanRobinson

Monica was an ordinary girl, that is, an ordinary fan of the British and Irish boy band, One Direction. You c... More

Don't Make Promises You Can't Keep
Prologue
May 2011
July 2012
October 2012
Two Years Later
Ideas!!
Woohoo!

December 2012

181 2 0
By SarahLermanRobinson

You're almost at the end, just getting there! Comment and vote if you're loving it so far :) Well appreciated of your time you're putting in. All the best :D

POV Harry

We were all seated in front of the fireplace today, trying to keep ourselves warm. We were in New Brunswick and the house hotel that Paul had booked had a horrible heater, but we got lucky because there was a fireplace in the living room with a TV plastered on top. The walls were all a beige brown colour so the firelight reflected off of the walls. We had just come back from a very long day-we had all our normal things to do, but we also got stuck in traffic in the middle of a snow storm. We were lucky enough to make it out of there safely and when we got inside, I made everyone cocoa and we sat in front of the TV and the fireplace to warm up. I had sat beside Monica and she was leaning her head on my chest as my arm wrapped around her shoulder. She was shivering like mad, and I knew half the reason why was because of her feet. See, her feet would be so cold during every season, so I was always offering to warm them up for her. When I did, she'd giggle way too much so nothing really gets done. Sometimes I would just kiss her instead until she calmed down.

Even though I was drunk, and had a mean hangover the next day, I still remembered that night with Delilah. Every time I did, I felt so sick, my stomach lurching like I wanted to throw up again. Since that day, sometimes Monica or Louis would find me hunched over the toilet and wondered what had gone wrong. I never told them-especially them-and I knew I had to start planning if I would be keeping thing this whole thing a secret or start coming clean before it got dragged out and worse. But I never knew what was the right way to approach it.

"Let's watch the celebrity news station." Monica said, grabbing the remote out of Liam's hand. They have been talking so much more lately ever since some point while we were in British Colombia, and I didn't know exactly what was the reason for the change of heart. But I was glad for it. She smiled at him and he smiled back. "Let's see what they're saying about us."

Eleanor snorted. "If they're saying anything at all."

"It's all rubbish news on there. Its either something not true, not good, or just plain stupid." Perrie put in.

Monica put her hands on her hips. "And what do you suggest?"

She shrugged. "Sports channel."

"Perrie, you've got my vote." Niall called.

Louis chuckled. "Please, all you want is the food channel, mate." And Niall smiled at him.

"Well too bad for you all, we're going to watch the Celebrity channel because I've got the remote and none of you do." And with that, she turned it on. First of all, a blonde lady named Beth who looked like she was in her later 20's, early 30's talked about Angelina Joie and Brad Pitt and about a possible new baby they'd be adopting.

"Well, would you look at that? That's brilliant." Louis liked kids.

"I wouldn't mind having an adopted child." Danielle said. "Helping out in a small way, you know?"

Perrie sniggered. "And it's less work." Danielle threw a pillow in her direction.

Then Beth talked about Kristen Stewart apparently cheating on Robert Patterson.

"What?" Eleanor sat up suddenly. "Is she crazy?"

"Definitely. I don't know how you can cheat on someone with a face like that." Perrie commented. Danielle nodded vigorously.

Monica scoffed. "I could." All three of them looked at me like they were about to murder me. Niall laughed. She shook with laughter herself, I could feel her against my chest. She just shrugged. "Um, if I'm not mistaken, there is also a certain person named Taylor Lautner in those movies. Now that's someone you can't give up easily. I wouldn't be surprised if Kristen went running off with him instead."

They all shook their heads at her like she was the weirdest person on earth. Then Danielle said, "Look! The lady said that it was with the director of the movie Snow White that she stared in... Rupert Sanders." They all peered at the screen closely to look at his face.

"No." Perrie shaking her head.

"God, no." Monica agreed.

Then the background music changed to something familiar. Our 'What Makes You Beautiful' music video popped on the screen, and now everyone was listening very closely. We've never been talked about on this channel before and it was weird to be watching yourself for the first time.

"You all know our favourite British and Irish boy band, One Direction." Beth started. "But, do you really know them?"

"Well, we do." Eleanor spat.

The camera zoomed in on my face singing my solo in the song. "Or at least, one of them?" Beth said mysteriously. Beth looked up at the screen beside her then back at us. "Everyone, this is Harry Styles." Right then and there, I knew exactly where this was going, and I wanted to climb out of the chair and run away. Far, far away.

Monica tapped my lap excitedly. "Harry, she talking about you." I didn't say anything, and I didn't smile either.

"Apparently." Continued Beth. "One Direction and their girlfriends have been out around different parts of the world for what they called 'Break Week' for the American Thanksgiving weekend. Each person was spotted in pairs or separately around the world and paparazzi were able to get a few shots of each person." A picture of me came up from the time when I went to Wonderland. "This is Harry spotted in Toronto at Canada's Wonderland, just coming off the Leviathan. You'd think that he'd be with Monica Gerarde-" They showed a picture of her then returned back to my photo. "For the week, but he was alone. Where's the girlfriend, man?" I hated the squeaky voice on her. I wanted to punch the TV.

Then they showed another picture, this time of me and Delilah. I felt my face was burning red. "We saw these two chilling the whole day together at the park, and never caught them away from each other once. Who is this mystery girl?"

Monica slid away from me and looked closely to the screen. "Hey," Niall said. "That's that red head from the crowd at that concert."

Monica looked at me. "It's also the same girl who was telling me off when we went to Forever 21. Do you remember that, Harry?" She turned up the volume on the remote and I seriously wish she hadn't. "Where the fuck are they going with this?" She murmured.

"Well, Direction fans. We all know that Harry is the flirt of the group, but we didn't think he'd be this bad." Another shot of that night with Delilah when we were going at it was placed onto the screen. Monica went pale. "Direcitoners, you aren't going to like this, but we caught Harry cheating on his girlfriend in this four star hotel, not too far from Canada's Wonderland. And judging from the other pictures-" They started showing multiple photos, and I had momentarily wondered how they had gotten them but then it hit me. That flashing light that I had thought was a car, had been a camera man taking pictures.

"I can't watch this." Monica said. She was about to get up when Niall held her down.

"No, watch it." But he wasn't looking at her when he did. He was looking right at me, furious.

"Sorry fans, but thought you ought to know that Harry isn't all he seems. And sorry to you too Monica, if you're watching this." And she did look genuinely sorry. Then they played the last line, my solo, of the song: "That's what makes you beautiful," like some kind of joke. Beth perked up again, and started talking about some new show that will be coming on air in a couple weeks. But before he could say more, Monica turned off the monitor. It was deadly quiet in there and no one said absolutely anything.

Monica looked at her cocoa and then dropped it on the table, not wanting to care for it anymore. "So um," Her voice was unnervingly calm, and I wanted her to back to scream and yell at me for what I'd done. I wanted to her to hit me, harder than I hit Liam just because all he did was try to kiss her to forget her. "Do you have anything to say?"

I swallowed. "They didn't have the entire story."

Monica looked at me incredulously. "What other story is there? You went to Toronto without me, you meet up with a girl that has been bothering me and you, and then later on you have sex with her, totally forgetting you've got a girlfriend. That's the story. What's more to tell?"

"That she's probably pregnant too." Perrie spat. Monica looked bewildered but then she looked at me pleading that wasn't the case. I shook my head. She relaxed but barely.

All of a sudden Niall lashed out. "What the hell wrong with you?" I just looked at him, and when I saw the anger in his face, I looked away. "You've got a girl you loves you so much and someone every other guy would kill to have. But she picked you, Harry. After everything that's happened, this is how you ended it for yourself? This is... This is just selfish." He shook his head. "I hate to say it, but what you've done is such a cunt ass move to do." I winced and let him call me it, but I didn't like the feeling at all.

He looked like he was going to hit me but Monica turned to him first. "Just shut up okay, and sit down." His expression turned surprised and he was about to say something, but the look she gave him made him think otherwise. He sat down roughly. "What don't we know, Harry?"

I took my time before I answered, but I didn't look her in the eyes. "I was drunk, and I was slowly starting to become sober again, enough for me to think properly, but then she gave me something to drink out of a bottle she was drinking all day. I though it was water because I knew she would have gotten drunk way before I did, and I saw go to a water fountain once to fill it up. She rigged it and gave me some to drink. And that did it for me."

I waited for her to say something. But she didn't. I heard her jump off the couch she was sitting on marched to her room, slamming the door hard. When she did, I winced. Niall shook his head. "I can't stay in the same room with you. I'm sorry." And he left. Eleanor, Liam, Zayn, Perrie, and Danielle all left too. I heard the girls go into Monica's room, because I heard light sobs coming from beyond the door. Liam and Zayn went to their separate rooms, so all that was left was me and Louis.

We didn't say anything for a long time and then he said, "You know you're one of my best mates, right Harry?" I didn't move a muscle. I just listened to him, feeling a salty tear running down my face. "But this..." I could sense him shaking his head. "I'm not your Father or anything, but I really am disappointed in you, Harry. So very disappointed. None of this is like you at all, why the sudden change?" I still kept my mouth shut. Louis stood up and came to face me, raising my chin. I was really tearing up now, because aside from Monica, I didn't want to see Louis' disappointed face either. "I know you don't want to speak to anyone right now, but think about it, most of us don't even want to speak to you and I think they have the better reason not to."

"So why are you speaking to me, then? You probably feel disgraced to be even once called my best mate."

He laughed lightly. "Harry, is that what you think? I enjoy being your best mate, and I always will. But what you've done is despicable Harry, epically after what you've done to Liam. You said sorry, but now you've gone and hurt another person." I couldn't keep it in. I started to cry, and I hated crying, because it reminded me about how fragile I was, and how I never thought that I'd be able to change that. I just made things worse for me, when things were going just fine. Louis grimaced and enveloped me in his arms, sitting down beside me. I never had someone more supportive of me than Louis or my own Mum. Then I had Monica, but I've lost her now. "Harry?" Louis murmured. I didn't say anything. "Hazz?"

"Wha'?"

"You wouldn't have even got into the same car with her if you were sober, would you?"

"Absolutely not."

He pulled me away from him and kissed me on the forehead. Then he slapped me hard on the cheek-which was very painful. I made a face but he gave me a stern look. "You deserved it, and it's nothing compared to what Niall would have done if Monica hadn't stopped him." He sighed. "Wash up and then go talk to her. You need to."

I gave him a small smile and went to go wash my face in the sink, preparing for the worst to come.

When I knocked on Monica's door, I hoped with all my might Eleanor, Danielle, and Perrie had all left to go do something else, but I had no such luck.

"What the hell do you want?" Perrie spat.

"Seriously, Harry, I think you should just go." Eleanor whispered, but she had the same tone as Perrie. Danielle was giving me the dirtiest look she could muster and Monica wouldn't even look at me.

"Monica, please..."

Danielle turned to her abruptly. "Don't listen to him Monica, whatever you do, don't listen to the enemy."

"I'm not the enemy." All four girls looked at me at once. And I kept my mouth shut.

Monica sighed. "You know what guys, it's okay. I'll talk to him."

"Monica, love, you don't have to do anything you don't want to do."

Monica laughed, but it was bitter. "It's alright, I'll be fine."

All three allies jumped off the bed and obeyed Monica's requests. Perrie looked behind her and said, "Monica, if he bothers you, yell. I'll have a chain saw ready." I looked at her incredulously, and she looked back at me and shrugged. "Would you rather two?" Then all three of them left the room, leaving a crack of the door open-probably to hear the conversation-but I at this point I didn't care at all.

I looked at my girlfriend, and she patted the spot on the bed in front of her. "Why did you do it?" She asked calmly. Her eyes were red from crying, but they probably weren't any better than mine.

"I wouldn't have." I told her.

"But you did."

"By the influence of alcohol." I pointed out.

She gave me a face. "I don't understand why you trusted her in the first place."

"Because she was nice to me."

Monicas eyes went wide open. She scoffed. "She was freaking buttering you up. If she hadn't done that, you would have ditched her early." She was right of course. I had fell into a deep hole and only got myself even deeper. She sighed. She didn't look at me. "In the end, did you enjoy it?"

I just looked at her. "What?"

"In the end, did you enjoy what you did?" She chuckled. "What I am I asking. Of course you probably did, and if not, you wouldn't have been able to tell the difference because you were drunk."

I looked at her in the eye. "Mona, I didn't enjoy it in the end."

"Right," She said nodding her head. "Harry you don't have to lie-"

"I'm not lying, Monica. Can't you see that? Can't you read my face? My lips? I didn't enjoy it at all in the end. It was like a horror movie with a sad ending." I wasn't mad at her, but I couldn't keep he edge away from my voice. Her bottom lip quivered, but she didn't start crying again. I sighed. "Do you... Are you mad at me?"

She looked away from me. "I should be. I should be smacking you around silly like a crazy chimpanzee gone wild. I should be shouting profanities at you until I made you weep. I should be hating you so bad right now for hurting me to the bone. In fact, that I should have sent you out of this room right now." I waiting for the blow, for her to do exactly that-the way her face got so twisted, it was scary. But then everything about her relaxed. "But I'm not going to."

"What?" I heard Perrie yell from the hallway.

"Shh!"

Monica looked towards open crack and yelled. "Guys, it's very rude to eavesdrop." I heard the sour mumbles coming from all three of them as they walked away noisily in the direction of the kitchen. Monica

turned back to me. "Why not?" I asked. "I deserve it."

Monica snorted. "Trust me, Harry. You deserve many things right now. But I'm not going to do them because... because I haven't been any better than you."

I looked at her confused. I inched closer to her carefully, and she didn't move away. "What do you mean?"

She sighed and looked up at the ceiling then back down at me. "You know how I've been with Niall for break week in Ireland?" I nodded. "Well... He told me he loved me and I told him that I kind of... did too. And we just," She paused. "Ended up kissing."

I blinked. "You kissed Niall?"

"He kissed me! Well... it's a bit of both." That made absolute perfect sense. The way he acted around Monica when we got back from break week, the way he reacted when he heard what I did. At first, I didn't even know that Monica went with Niall for break week, and when I found out she did at the White House, that explained why they were so much closer than before. How he would automatically put his hand on her back and she wouldn't even react. At first, at that moment, I felt sick. But then the feeling washed away when I knew I'd be a pretty big greedy ass if I continued to feel that way. "And the thing is Harry, in some ways what I did, is worse than what you have done to me, because I wasn't drunk when it happened, it just did naturally, not by influence. That's why I think you should be lashing out at me now because of what I've done."

I shook my head. "I'm not going to hit you. Never."

She sighed then swallowed. "We're not as faithful with each other like we first planned, are we?"

I looked at her, and instantly my eyes went watery. She was smiling at me, after all I had done to her that made her miserable, she was smiling at me. And it wasn't a forced smile, it was genuine. That was how great of a person she was and I was so afraid to lose her completely and for good. I shook my head. "I don't even know anymore, Mona."

She moved closer to me, close enough for me to feel her breathe. "Can I ask you a Fact question?" She whispered. She rested her hand on my cheek, and wiped away my tears. I nodded. "Will you love me, no matter what happens?"

"I promise you," I said. "I'll love you no matter what, Monica. And that is the complete truth. But can I ask you something?"

Monica brushed my cheek again, keeping her hand there. She nodded.

"Will you still love me, no matter what?"

She didn't say anything at first and I started to worry that she might say no. She had the right to, and it was the Truth game. She smiled at me. "No." She said. I was completely taken aback, even though I had guessed she'd say that. I was starting to look away when she moved her face back in front of hers. She gave me a faint smile. "One more question?" I didn't really want to answer one, since half of my dreams have been crushed, but I nodded anyways, because I said that I had loved her still. And with loving her, came with doing what she wanted at your own free will.

"Okay."

She raised her left wrist to show the charm bracelet I haven't much attention to since that first day we met. "Remember this?" I nodded, never leaving her eye contact. "Will you take me one day when we get back home to return it? I've been thinking, and I think I'm ready."

My eyebrows raised, for only for a couple of seconds. "I'd be happy to."

She eyed me. "Is that the truth?"

I sighed. "Yes. Yes it is the truth."

Monica smiled big. "Good job, Harry." Now I was confused. "You won." She lost me.

"Monica I don't get it. What did I win?"

She laughed. "The Fact game, of course."

I looked at her shocked. "How...?" But then it dawned on me. The only way could have won was if Monica lied... She... Monica smiled when she saw the recognition plastered on my face. I gave her a sly smile. "You..."

"Me..." She laughed, and I laughed along with her. She pressed her forehead on mine and whispered quietly. "I'm sorry I lied when I said I wouldn't love you. I know that made you uncomfortable." She kissed me lightly once.

"No, I've been through more uncomfortable situations." She giggled and I enveloped her in my arms and kissed her again. And she kissed me back gladly, like nothing ever happened. I loved her so much, and I wouldn't let anything or anyone hurt her in the future the way I had today.

You don't treat special people like her that way.

POV Niall

I walked into the hall then into the kitchen to go get something to eat. I was so hungry, but when I got a bag of chips out of one of the cupboards, I lost my appetite. I shouldn't have yelled at Harry so suddenly like that and I didn't really think he was a cunt of any sort, but he hurt Monica, and when she was hurt, I felt it too. We were connected like that somehow in a way I didn't understand. I knew he was in her room right now apologising, but the influence of alcohol or not, Harry shouldn't have been with that gal in the first place. He should have known that it would have gotten him into trouble at some point and that maybe, just maybe, it will work its way to Monica in a way that he didn't expect. And as we were watching the TV, I knew by his lack of words that he didn't expect that whatsoever.

But I decided it was best for me to go and apologise to him only for calling him a cunt. But I was also going to ask for forgiveness from Monica, for burst like that and for all of my behaviour around her lately. I ditched the chip bag and walked my way over to Monica's bedroom. I didn't knock on the door because both of them were already used to me coming in, but I was completely stopped short before my whole body could walk into the room.

Sitting there on the bed, Monica and Harry were lip locked. That was the last thing I'd see her do with him after what he had just done.

She was supposed to be mad. She was to put their relationship on hold or something until she fully figured this out. She was supposed to be coming to me for help. But instead, I saw her kissing Harry, and he kissing her back.

It was done. It was over. Monica and I were no more.

I closed the door to give them some privacy.

POV Liam

I feel, so sorry for Monica right now. We've been getting along so well, and I'm worried about it getting faltered because of this... Unfortunate event. I think Harry is the greatest, I seriously think he should have been more careful. It wasn't only the fact that she shouldn't have trusted that Delilah chick, but that he should have remembered his problem every time he drank. The thing was, out of all of us, Harry was the one who did or said-or both-the most stupid things when he got drunk. The rest of us would just fall asleep right away. Niall actually could drink how much he wanted, could stay awake, and not do silly things like Harry. It was as if all he as drinking was regular juice like Koo-Aid or something. He should have remembered.

Danielle and the other girls were livid about the whole thing. When I was drinking some water in the kitchen and munching on a biscuit, the they all came storming down the hall and into the kitchen cussing about the situation. None of them paid attention that I was there, and I don't think they really cared either.

Later on Niall came into the kitchen when I asked him what was the matter-my mate looked the saddest out of all of us-but he just brushed past me, grabbed a juice box out of the refrigerator, and waddled glumly back into his room.

This whole situation was agonising for everyone, and I was so hoping that would change.

POV Louis

I ran over the things I said to Harry and wondered if it was the right thing. I'd hate if whatever advice I gave him, didn't make him go and do something else ridiculous. But at the same time, I didn't hear any yelling coming form that room yet, so something good must have happened.

"Louis!" Looks like I made my own girlfriend mad as well.

I turned around calmly and looked at her. She was followed my Danielle and Perrie. Liam was sitting at the counter watching everything that was happening, and Niall had just walked by, red faced. Oh no. "Yes?"

"Did you go and make Harry talk to Monica?" She asked furiously.

I shrugged. "Yes, and?"

"Why the hell would you do that?" Perrie spat.

I rolled my eyes "Because Harry is my best mate-"

"Yeah a pretty nice best mate you got there." Danielle said.

"And because I knew and you know that he's never done that in the past and he's never going to do it in the future. Harry loves Monica, and if you're under the influence of alcohol or drugs, you're sometimes going to do things that you'd never think you'd actually do. And this is one of them, ladies. Please don't tell me you don't agree with what I had just said because I know each one of you have been influenced or has known someone being influenced by these things. You guys know Harry so well; I don't understand why you would turn your back so quickly." That, of course, shut them up because they knew I was right. They just wished they didn't believe it.

Eleanors expression softened. She sighed and sat down beside me on the chair. "You're right, Lou. I just feel so bad for Monica. She's never experienced this before, and she's one of those people who are always so young and hopeful, you get what I mean?"

"Trust me El, everything is going to be alright, no matter what the outcome is." I draped my arm around her shoulder and hugged her to me. She didn't say anything but I knew that she believed me.

Eleanor was a young and hopeful one too.

POV Zayn

I didn't really have much to say about Harry cheating on Monica other than this: I know Harry wouldn't even think about doing that to Monica, and because of the drinks he had, he wasn't thinking so I couldn't really hate on him for that. And the second thing was, Harry was fragile yes, but Monica could be almost as frail as Harry can be. The only thing was that she knew how to control it so much better. I wondered if she's been sensitive longer than Harry has. Most likely. I hoped she was alright, and I wished I had the guts to go and see if she was okay, just like she had for me when it happened with Perrie.

I hoped to God that things got better because we were all finally starting to get along like we were at the starting of this tour, and now things were starting to fall apart again.

All we needed is that band aid to cover that opened wound.

POV Monica

Harry offered to walk me up the stairs to the front door of my house when we finally pulled up on my driveway. I hesitated, because Chloe and Danna had texted me saying that they saw what Harry had done to me. They were furious and I could tell even if it was in writing. When Danna was angry when she was texting, she send great paragraphs of insults and profanities, but when Chloe was mad, she would to the complete opposite. She'd barely send anything. There was a one hundred percent chance that they had told my parents about what happened because they don't usually watch those channels. I hate to see what my Dad would do or say to Harry if he came with me-heck, much less my Mom. 'No one hurts her daughter' that's what she always said.

When I looked at Harry, I could tell he was afraid too, but I also saw the determination in his eyes. He wanted things to be right with my family, not leave me here without saying something and giving me the honours to explain everything. That would just make my parents want to rip his throat out even more.

"Besides," He said, not looking at me. "Your Mom made me promise to take care of you, and in the end I hurt you instead. I can't leave with that being unnoticed."

I looked at him sadly and nodded my head. If he started crying again, I was going to walk out of this car and tell him to go home. I detested seeing him cry, and I wasn't about to go through that experience again. I put his head in my hand and kissed his cheek. Then I kissed him on the mouth because I couldn't help leaving it untouched. "I love you so much, you know that right?" He nodded. I left out a breath. "Let's go then."

We walked up the steps and I rung the doorbell. I had forgotten my house key in my room during all that rush to leave, but I knew by the time I came back home, my family and friends would be there waiting for me. (I had texted them to tell them when I was coming.) When the doorbell rang the second time, the door shot open and Danna opened the door. When she saw me her smile went wide. "Monica! Everyone, Monica is back!" Everyone suddenly came rushing from wherever they were in the house cheering and hugging me and smoothing my hair, asking me if I was alright, if I had a fun and safe trip. Since they were talking so much, I didn't get one word in. "Oh my gosh, Monica we saw the celebrity news cast. Oh my God, I cannot believe what that boy did to you."

"Danna," Chloe said quietly, not looking at her but at Harry. "He's here."

Everyone looked at Harry who was frowning and standing there awkwardly, watching the scene. Everyone was looking at Harry with murderous looks, like they wanted him-well, they did want him-dead. But Danna wasn't going to settle for looks. She screeched and ran for Harry, hands out and fingernails bent like talons. "I am going to kill you for what you did to my best friend." But before she could get hold of him I stepped in her way and she slashed at me instead. It stung, but I didn't show like I was in a lot of pain. She kept struggling but I refused to let go of her. "Monica!" She panted. "What are you doing? Let me at him! You fucking ass..."

"Danna, no!" I said.

She looked at me, baffled. "Why not?"

I let go of her and shifted from side to side. "Because I forgave him."

"Honey," She said, keeping her eyes on Harry. "Really consider this choice well. What he did was-"

"Mom! Everyone... I know what he did was wrong. But I forgave him for a reason and for a good one too. Guys, Harry was tricked and drunk. He didn't do it at his own free will-and no Danna, that isn't the only reason I forgave him-but please trust me on this. Harry would never do something like that, in his right mind. He loves me, guys, and I love him back."

No one said anything for a moment, then Jacob raised his hand as if he was in school. "Well, I trust Harry, and I also trust my sister's judgements, and I don't know about you people, but I think we should all trust a family members judgement when it is made. I guess it was for the best." He looked at Harry, and walked up to him. He was about as tall as him, but Harry was slightly taller. Then he held out his hand. "I forgive you." Harry smiled and he shook it.

"My sons right. Harry, you should have been more careful, but it's only so careful you can get when you drink a lot right, son?" He patted Harry on the arm and stepped back. My Mom rushed to him and gave him a hug, along with Andrew. She didn't say anything when Harry said, "I'm so sorry I broke your promise." She just smiled at him and shook her head. Chloe and Danna made no move to forgive him, and I guess we were both just going to accept that consequence.

"I have something to say." Harry said suddenly and everyone turned. Even I turned, because I thought I had pretty much summed everything up. He looked at me. "Monica, you are the most brilliant person I've ever met. Seriously, I couldn't find another girl that is as gorgeous as you, or intelligent, or stubborn, or peachy as you. When I met you, I knew you were going to play a role in my life, and you were going to influence me to play a role as well. Which you have, and I can't tell you how much I've learned from it. And everyone, I know Monica has said it for me already, but I apologise if I have hurt your family because of this. I really appreciate your forgiveness and I do hope that a situation like this never happens with your family again, because if it does, I'd be happy to be supporting with you-all of you-and be the best person I can possibly be from now on." He paused. "I know I've broken a many promises over the coursing five months, and it hurts me to think that I have because I've never done it before. I apologise again, so much."

My Mom smiled. "We forgive you, Harry, we really do. Now come inside everyone, it's getting chilly out here."

"Oh." Harry said, he looked very uncomfortable. "Winsome I'd love to stay, but I have a flight to catch for the UK."

"Oh, alright Harry. It was nice seeing you again." They all gave him quick hugs and pats-Danna and Chloe just gave more of a slight touch-and disappeared in the doors. "Monica, honey, hurry up and get inside." my Mom ordered and she closed the door.

I turned to Harry. "That was special. Did you mean it?"

"Of course." He looked at my bags. "Are you going to need help with those...?"

I shook my head. "No, I'll be alright." We stood there awkwardly, and I remembered the first time he asked me to go out with him. How awkward and careful we were around each other was annoying then, but it was unbearable now.

"I've, um, got to go now, Monica." He said.

I nodded my head vigorously. "Right. Yes. Yes you do. You don't want to be late for that flight." I stepped toward him and gave him a hug. He hugged me back tightly and I sighed a little. When I let go and stepped back I waved. "Bye."

He smiled that lopsided grin. "Goodbye, Mona." He started to walk away to his car and opened it and I wanted to call him, to tell him come back and stay with me forever, but I let him leave. I watched him buckle his seat belt and start the ignition. As he drove away, he honked the horn twice, just like he had that day when we first kissed.

I sighed, and grabbed all my suitcases from the front door, and as I was about to go in, I heard his car pull up again by the front of my house. "Monica!" I turned around. He climbed out of the car, and stood on the pedestal. "I forgot something."

"And what is that?" I shouted back, grinning.

He scratched his hair that I loved so much. "Love you!"

"I love you, too, Harry Styles." He waved and got back in his car, and I closed the front door behind me.

Two Days After Christmas

POV Harry

I felt awkward walking up on this porch with a Christmas cake in my hand that my Mum had baked for me before I had left for Canada. I hadn't been here since the end of the world tour, and that was the last memory I had with this house. I haven't talked to anyone in that house since that time either nor the best friends that visit. Her. I still see her, just not as often. That was one of the inconveniences of keeping in touch: when you live in two different continents. But we made it work, texting each other all the time and every time we could, and there was those rare days when we'd even be able to Skype or Twitcam each other. Or sometimes, we'd be even able to talk on the phone.

Christmas was a couple days ago, and just like she texted me and the others, since it was more of a chain mail kind of thing, we met up at her house for Christmas dinner. We had planned it during the tour and everyone liked the idea at the time, so we pulled through with it. As I walked up the steps, with the cake, a bag of presents and a small bouquet of flowers in my other hand, I hesitated and stated to panic. I hated to be the first one to arrive at the house. I haven't even been in her presence since the tour ended, much less the family and friends. I as much as I wanted to be alone with her, I wouldn't know what to say and I wasn't a big fan of silence, especially when I was friends with the other boys. When I stepped up in front of the door I hesitated again before I knocked. This was a big deal for me, and I even contemplated about just staying out there until another one of my mates came, but it was freezing and snowy outside so I knocked on the door hurriedly. I had totally forgotten they had a doorbell but it was already too late.

Monica opened the door enthusiastically. She looked great, as usual. This time she was dressed for the holiday, so she was wearing a green V-neck t-shirt and a frilly loose white skirt and had red studs in her ears. She had let out her hair and it fell over her shoulders in curly tendrils. When she saw me she beamed and hugged me. "Harry! Oh my God, I missed you so much!"

I grinned widely and kissed the top of her head. "I missed you, too." I missed her touch.

She let go of me and looked me in the eyes. "Merry Christmas." And she kissed me on the cheek. Then she yelled over her shoulder. "Guys, Harry's here!"

"Harry's here?" I heard Danna, one of Monica's best friends yell. She rushed to the door and gave me the hardest look she could muster. "I still have no idea why Monica forgave you but I don't so there's no point of getting cocky about it."

"Danna, give him some space would you?" Chloe said, appearing at her side. She didn't really look that forgiving either. Those were the only people who didn't forgive me for cheating on Monica, but everyone else was okay with me, so I guess that had to count for something.

"Harry, hi." Monica's parents appeared at the door with her brothers Jacob, Perry, and Andrew and her Mom motioned for me to come in. "It's getting very windy out there, come on in." Winsome invited. I shook her Terrance's hand, and immediately I got the nerves I accumulated every time I saw him.

"Harry how are you doing?" He asked.

"Very fine thank you for asking." I turned to Monica. "Um, these are for you. Merry Christmas."

She took the flowers gingerly and grinned at me. "Thank you, they're beautiful."

I was about to say something else but I was interrupted by another voice coming from the direction of the kitchen. "Well, isn't it our favourite Harry Potter."

I knew that Irish accent anywhere. I looked over Perry's shoulder and beamed at Niall who was grinning back at me. "Hey mate, Merry Christmas." Niall walked up to me and gave me a good bear hug. I missed him a lot, along with all the others, and I was also very thankful he was there because I now I had someone else to continue conversation with. I partially wanted it to be Louis who arrived first because I missed him so much and I wanted to make everything up to him. He was the reason why I made most of my good choices in the first place and I owed it to him. "Is anyone else here yet?"

"No, not yet, lad. You're the second person to get here." Monica's family departed from the front door to get the rest of the preparations ready, while Niall, Monica, Danna, Chloe, and I all stood by the door and chatted.

I nodded my head. "Oh okay. Niall when did you get here?"

"I arrived here yesterday." He said simply.

I nodded. I suddenly felt pretty awkward. "Okay." I momentarily looked at Chloe and noticed that she was smirking at me. "What?" I said, but she only shook her head and turned away.

"Okay, why are we still in front of the door? Harry let me take your jacket and you guys can go and sit down in the living room. I'll be there in a few seconds tops." Monica said, tugging my jacket off my shoulders. I felt her fingers brush my back underneath as she took it off and I shivered briefly. "Sorry." She said softly, and walked away with my jacket.

Niall and I walked side by side into her living room, followed by Chloe and Danna who were whispering about me. Peachy.

"Gosh, he still looks at her the way he used to." Danna said. "He should seriously just give it up."

"Danna, as much as we hated what he's done, Monica forgave him and we got accept her judgment. It was for a good reason. That's all we really can do and we don't have much of choice." I smiled back at her faintly, but she didn't meet my gaze.

"Okay, so tell me about your Christmas Harry." Monica said happily when she came back from putting my coat away. "Did you do anything exciting?"

"Well, if you count spending time with my family, eating lots of brilliant foods, and opening presents as your definition of exciting, then yes it really was."

She giggled. "Yeah, Niall said almost the exact same thing." And she patted him on the knee. I couldn't help being jealous, but I tried my best not to show it.

"So, what did you do for Christmas?" I asked her.

She pressed her lips together and smiled. "Well, I opened presents in the morning with my family, traditionally, but I spent the day with Chloe and Danna . Then we all came back to my place and had Christmas dinner with my grandparents and Perry came over as well."

"Yeah," Danna piped up. "We went on a huge shopping spree."

"Huge. Eleanor would have loved to come with us. We didn't leave until we had at least three different outfits."

I eyed her but Niall said what was on my mind. "Is that one of the outfits you got?"

She nodded gladly and patted her skirt. "Yeah, it is. I got it especially for today. Do you like it?"

"I think it's lovely." I said before Niall could put in something before me. Niall looked at me briefly and then he nodded approvingly.

"Thanks guys. I knew you'd like it." I didn't know which one of us she meant more, but I didn't dare ask that. The doorbell rang and Monica shot straight up from her seat. "Be right back." And rushed to the door. Niall was sitting beside her before and now he came over to me and sat down. He didn't say anything for a moment, but he was smirking.

"What?" I asked him. I personally thought it was annoying when he smirked, because it always made me think that he was planning something evil and Irish against me or one of the boys.

He didn't look at me at first, he was looking at Chloe and Danna who were eyeing us carefully. He raised his eyebrows and they got up and went to go see who was at the door. Then he looked back at me. "You still have feelings for her, don't you?"

I blinked at him, then sighed. "It's obvious, isn't it?"

"Very apparent actually. You couldn't be any more open."

I looked at the empty spot that Monica had just left. "I know you still do too, mate."

Niall shrugged, like that was completely normal. "I guess everyone can't have everything they want." He was trying to be peppy about it, but I could hear to solemn in his voice. But before I could say something else to him, Monica appeared again with Liam, Danielle, Louis and Eleanor.

"Guys, look who's here!" I loved it when she was this excited about something. It made me feel excited all the time. She had that aura about her that made everyone want to be happy along with her.

"Wow, Monica you have a nice place." Louis said. "Jacob, Andrew!" Louis was really fond of Monica's brothers, even though they weren't too far from her age. But he always said that if they aren't the same age as you or at least two years younger, they were always going to count as a child in his eyes. Monica was three years younger than him, but when she was dating me, he let her slide. He liked her company anyways, so he couldn't really go acting like she was a child, she was more mature than himself. He'd usually just lay all that acting stuff on me, but more to annoy than anything else.

"Louis!" Monica's brothers came rushing forward.

"Liam!" Niall cried and jumped on him. We all started laughing. It was such a Niall thing to do.

Monica smiled. "I'm so glad you guys could make it." She kissed Liam and Louis on the cheek and squeezed (until no end) Eleanor and Danielle. They had brought food and presents too and she grabbed all of them and put them in their respective places. "You guys can sit down in the living room. We're just waiting for Zayn and Perrie to arrive before we start."

Louis walked up to me. "Harry. Merry Christmas, mate."

"You too, Louis." And I have him a hug.

"When did you get here?"

I shrugged, then looked at my watch. "About ten minutes ago."

"What about you Niall?" Liam asked.

"I was here since yesterday."

Liam frowned. "Did you get first dibs on the food, then?" Niall snorted. "You did, didn't you?"

"If you count a glass of orange juice and a piece of toast for breakfast in your vocabulary of food, then yes."

Danielle laughed. "That's not exactly fair."

Monica came back and shrugged. "It wasn't on my account. We hadn't done our shopping yet, and he just came and raided our kitchen."

As soon as she finished saying that, Chloe yelled form the door, "Monica, Zayn and Perrie are here!" Monica rushed to the door and greeted the final guests. "Hey guys! Oh my God, Perrie I love those earrings." I heard her say. When they came into the living room we all greeted them happily. Monica clapped her hands and said, "Okay, we're all here." Then she yelled out the door. "Mom, we're all here!"

Her Mum peeked out of the kitchen door that I've been so many times before and smiled. "Alright Hun, dinner is just about ready. Could you come and help me set all this up, please?" Monica gave us all an apologetic look went to go and help her family get things ready.

It was weird, how none of us could really put a word in. We were just sitting there wondering who was going to say something first. Then I remembered. "Louis, happy belated, mate!" Everyone perked up and said happy birthday to Louis. His birthday was right before Christmas day, and everything had been so hectic for all of us at home, we forgot to call. Well, at least I did. Eleanor was probably the only one who remembered.

"Thanks, Harry." He said, smiling and patting him on the knee.

"What did you do?" Zayn asked.

Louis raised his shoulders and lowered them. "What I've done for every birthday, hung out with my family, ate cake, watched movies and opened presents, ate more cake. You know, the traditional thing you'd do on your birthday."

"And, unlike you guys." Eleanor stared at us all. "I called him on his birthday to give my wishes, didn't I love?"

Louis nodded a sly grin on his face. "She did. Some mates you guys are."

"Oh, shut up Louis." And Liam through a pillow at his face. Niall sniggered.

"What about the rest of you? What have you been doing after the tour?" Perrie asked.

"Same as Louis." I said, relaxing in the chair. "Technically, I bet everyone here was doing the same thing except Monica, who was at school."

Danielle sighed. "That sucks for her that she had to go back to school after all that." And by all that she meant what has happened on the tour. She didn't look me when she said it, but I knew she was thinking it.

"She only had to go for a week because their winter break started the week after she came back." Niall informed.

Zayn looked at him. "How did you know that?"

"She told me, obviously." And he gave a small grin.

"Everyone, the food's ready!" Monica called from the dining room. We all got up excitedly and walked toward the dinner table. I took a place on one side of Monica and I noticed Niall taking a place on the other. Her parents told us all to link hands to pray and we did, though I couldn't help feel a bit awkward when I held Monica's hand because I hadn't done it in the longest time. But when she took my hand and squeezed it, I knew I still had all of the Monica I've been missing so, so much.

POV Niall

When we finished praying, I admired the food on the table before digging in. There were so many dishes and so much food, it took up most of the entire dinner table and we still had the empty plates and forks and spoons that to place in front of us. There were many of us at the dinner table and I knew that all of us were big eaters but I could guarantee that there we were still going to have many leftovers. There was stuffing, roasted goose, duck, beef and turkey. There was gravy. There were pigs in a blanket (Louis probably brought that. His Mom made the best.) Mashed potatoes (I had helped Monica make that earlier today), Christmas ham, perogies, a bowl of salad, a bowl of steamed vegetables, lasagna, and shrimp. Monica had told me that when they were making the dinner, they we careful not to make anything that involves nuts, especially in the deserts, even though none of us were allergic. But none of us minded, because the food was brilliant.

I couldn't help smiling when Monica was holding my hand while we praying. Harry was right, I still had feelings for her, lots of them, but we never much less hugged again after around the time we came back from the tour and then all of split up again after the tour. Harry got the last look at her because he offered to take her home. I should have done that, but I wasn't really thinking then. I barely talked to Monica after the tour was finished because I knew that she would be busy getting everything set for the new year. I was also slightly bitter of the kiss I had witnessed. So the next time we met again was yesterday, coming early for Christmas dinner. My parents said it would be okay if I arrived earlier because they knew how much I cared about her. All I really had to do was stay for the family Christmas dinner which was on the day of. I departed for Toronto later on during the night. Monica hadn't expected me to come early, and I was glad with how surprised she was when she saw me. I wanted to come earlier anyways so it all worked out that way. She basically threw herself at me when she saw me and I hugged her back tightly.

"What are you doing here so early?" She cried.

"Thought I'd surprise you, and my parents wanted me to come earlier anyways." I said, keeping her in my arms.

She sighed. "Well, I'm glad they did. I missed you so much."

"Like wise."

I slept alone in a spare room that night, but I didn't mind. Not completely.

So here we were, all of us almost finished eating our super, two days after Christmas. I didn't take too much and put it on my plate because I was saving room for the deserts that were to come. I was very excited about those. When Monica and I went grocery shopping for the things her parents needed to make everything, we had bought a simple cake for Louis' birthday. No one knew it but us, even Monica's family. It was a bit of a surprise, for everyone really. But more for Louis, since apparently all of us, but Eleanor, had forgotten his birthday. "Niall," Monica whispered to me. "Have some more of the food. This is the least you've ever eaten. Come on, at Christmas you're supposed to stuff yourself."

"I'm saving space for desert." She gave me a look. I rolled my eyes. "Fine." And I took a slice of the roast beef and a scoop more of mashed potatoes. I took the gravy and poured it all over. Then I looked at her. "Happy?"

"Very much so yes." And she went back to talking to Harry and Eleanor who were on her right. When it was desert time, Monica tapped me on the shoulder she nodded at me toward the kitchen as her Parents were taking up all the plates and bowls of food back into the kitchen. It was her sign informing me it was time to get the cake ready. I nodded and we both stood at the same time. Liam asked me where I was going, and I told him that Monica needed my help with something and picked up a few of the plates and walked with her into the kitchen.

I had basically memorized what her kitchen looked like and where everything was even though this is only the second day I've ever been here. It would probably be my last too, because I was planning on getting a hotel room in Toronto to stay for the night then I'll leave again for Dublin. I wanted to stay longer-in Canada I mean-because it was so cold back up in Ireland so I surprised myself when I didn't hesitate to plan the trip for tomorrow.

"Niall, just take everything out with the rest of my family first and then we'll get the cake after." She whispered to me. I nodded and did as I was told. We had so many dessert choices too, you'd think-after totalling the dishes-we were serving an all you can eat buffet restaurant. For dessert, we had butter tarts, eggnog, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, pumpkin pie, chocolate Yule log, Christmas cake-made by Harry's Mother, no doubt-mince pies, truffles and other chocolates-Liam's going to like that-and lots of fruits. And of course we had Louis' cake. It was a bit of a joke, type of cake we got him, but he had also mentioned to us that he liked it so we gotten him a carrot cake. It was a round cake covered in white icing with blue and red stripes moving across it. In bold black icing letters it said 'Happy 21st Lou!' We had but two green candles and one red one to represent "21st" but we still didn't know if he would even understand it. When everyone was outside at the table we lit the candles and started to sing happy birthday. By at least the fifth word, everyone started singing along. Louis, who had a humongous grin on his face-his smiles can stretch pretty wide, trust me-danced along with us singing completely and purposely off key.

When we were finished we all clapped and Louis blew out the candles (he had figured out the whole candle idea after all-at least that was what he told us) and when we stopped Louis rose from his seat but he didn't have that grin on his face anymore. "Who's idea was it to have a birthday cake for me?" He boomed, though we couldn't take it seriously because his voice was so high. I shrunk away, trying to keep my laugh in, and pointed to Monica.

"Hey." She looked back at me, and then smiled at Louis sheepishly. "Mine?"

Louis gave her a hard stare for the longest time, then he burst out laughing and gave her a hug "That's my favourite Mona Lisa." That was what Louis called her now. He didn't say it often, but everyone once and a while he would. "What kind of cake is it?" He asked, letting her go just enough to look her in the eye.

Monica snorted. "Carrot cake." And everyone burst out laughing. Louis hugged her again. We all enjoyed desert and when we were finished Monica and I volunteered to wash dishes while everyone else was in the living room watching TV, chatting, and playing games-as usual.

She passed one of the soapy dishes she tended to and I took it and rinsed it out. "That was a really brilliant supper, Monica. I really enjoyed it. Thank you."

She shrugged. "You also had a hand in it so don't just say thank you to me." She handed me another plate. "And my parents made most of it, so really pay credit to them."

I smiled. "Okay, I will."

We washed the plates in silence until she said, "So, um, when do you leave?"

I frowned. "Leave where?"

"Back home, stupid."

I grinned and packed away a plate. "I was planning on getting a hotel to sleep at tonight and then leave tomorrow night or something."

She nodded and didn't say anything. After five more minutes of that silence-which seemed like forever, mind you-she faced me and put her hand on her hip. "Are you going to be doing anything while your back home?"

I shrugged. "No, not really. Just the usual, you know, play soccer with my mates, play video games with my mates or my brother..." I shrugged. "Do laundry, wash dishes..." And playfully, I threw some water at her, getting her shirt wet.

"Hey!" And I sniggered. "That was not funny Niall Horan." She wet her hands with water-she still had soap on them-and flicked it at me. That was a bad idea. Some of the soap got into my eye and I cried out in pain. It didn't hurt all that bad, but soap really does sting when it gets inside your eye. "Oh my gosh, I am so sorry." She washed her hands completely and dried them. She put her hands on my face-which I was covering with my own hands, eyes closed-and said, "Let me see." She moved my hands gently and pressed her thumbs to my eye lids and massaged them for a few seconds. "Better?"

I nodded. "Yeah, much better." I moved slightly, ready to go back to washing the tableware, but she didn't move her hands from my face.

She pressed her lips together, not looking at me. "I was thinking, maybe you could stay here instead of going to a hotel."

A smile crept on my face but I tried to hide it. "Why?"

She shrugged. "I don't know, you're room is already set up and you have to pay for hotels and..."

"And?"

She looked up at me and gave me half hearted smile. "I'm here?"

"Yes," I said, sliding my hands on her waist. "Yes you are."

"And I mean, my family really enjoys your company." Then she grumbled. "And maybe even more if you learn how to cook more than cereal, pancakes and mashed potatoes."

I snickered."I'll give it a try. We might need some more cook books though, and a fire extinguisher."

She laughed. I heard the Michael Bublé version of 'Have Yourself and Merry Little Christmas' play and I started to sway. In a moment, we were dancing in the kitchen, when we were supposed be washing and putting away the dishes. "I'll be sure to keep that in mind."

I lifted her chin with my finger and whispered, "Would it make you uncomfortable if I said I still fancied you, Monica?"

She looked to the ground, laced her arms around my neck, and said, "No."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm still in love you, too." And she looked up at me. We danced there in silence and I brushed back a lock of her hair like I used to do all the time so easily. She grinned at me and never left my eye contact. I gave her a small peck on the nose. "Remember when I said that your eyes looked creepy at night?"

I smirked. "Yeah, why?"

She leaned away from me and turned the light off, engulfing us into darkness. "I lied. They're beautiful."

I kissed her, and she kissed me back affectionately. I lifted her up and carried her to one of the stools and let her sit down on it, her lips never leaving mine. I felt her hands finger through my hair and I felt her skin from her waist on my fingertips, slightly underneath her shirt. I've been craving this for so, so long. After a couple minutes she broke away, "So is that a yes?" she asked breathlessly. Our faces were still pressed together.

"A yes for what?"

She slapped me on the arm lightly. "Are you going to stay?"

I chuckled. "For as long as you want me here."

I couldn't completely see her, but I heard her sigh. I could feel her smiling against my cheek. "Merry Christmas, Niall."

"Merry Christmas."

And I found her lips again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

260K 6.3K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
2.3M 118K 65
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
3.9M 158K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...
714K 43.5K 108
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...