On Her Majesty's Secret Servi...

By LunaxxStyles

The opportunity to work as an agent for MI6 isn't won easily- especially when there's 10 others vying for the... More

Disclaimer
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue

Chapter 18

3.4K 123 50
By LunaxxStyles

The harsh sound of my watch beeping by my ear wakes me the next morning. My back aches tremendously as I try to get up and darkness surrounds me. Where am I? I'm not on my cot in the dorm. I stretch out my leg and hit a heavy piece of metal equipment. Oh. Of course. The gym.

I sit up slowly and stare at the dim glow of the watch attached to my wrist. 4:30. It's time for a fighting session with Harry. Will he be there this morning? Do I even have the energy to go? I feel relatively normal considering the events which transpired just 24 hours ago, but I'm still jumpy- Paranoid at my surroundings and anxious at every single noise I hear.

I try to push the nerves from my mind and slowly stand, already in my workout gear for the day. I decide I have to give combat training a shot. This is no time to give up. If anything, I need to get stronger so the next time I'm attacked I can actually defend myself. I just hope Harry shows up to teach me.

I shuffle the short distance from the gym to the boxing ring in the sports hall. To my utter delight, Harry stands quite tall, waiting for me. I haven't been this happy to see Harry since he, well, he saved my life. I don't feel any hate or rage or annoyance as I usually do. I'm actually looking forward to talking to him. I hope he feels the same.

I pad into the ring and stare at Harry. He watches me with a confused expression.

"Where did you sleep?"

Well I guess he doesn't see a need for any formalities.

"The gym."

"Why?"

I shrug instead of answering him and look to the ground. Harry takes this as a signal to stop the inquisition. I'm surprised he's sensitive enough to pick up on the fact that I don't want to discuss the topic.

"Right... Ready?" He continues on as if nothing happened. He widens his stance and I do the same. I don't think we'll be talking very much this session. I'm still anxious to see whether or not Harry's cold demeanour will make a reappearance or if he's going to continue to be nice for the rest of our time training. I really can't tell, but I do know what I want to do: not be an asshole anymore. I find I feel a whole lot better when Harry and I are getting along than when we aren't.

"Yeah, lets go."

The rest of our time passes in silence. You could count Harry's instructions as talking, but it's not a conversation. He says something and I do it. I'm not really sure what to say to him. The time feels inappropriate for joking- neither of us feel particularly light hearted after what happened in the swimming pool yesterday morning. I don't think it's the right time for a serious discussion, either. I'm afraid that if I try to reveal too many of Harry's emotions that he'll snap and we'll be back to square one. So, I take the diplomatic approach: staying quiet. It is awkward at times when my legs are wrapped around Harry's neck and we're in other compromising positions, but I manage to get through the session with only a handful of blushes.

I come away from the lesson feeling more light-hearted than I expected. Harry taught me a new move- where I climb up on top of my opponent- that might actually help against the bigger guys during combat training. I hope that our practice this morning is enough to get me through. I expect we'll be having another fighting assessment soon.

Harry and I part ways without a word. He heads to the mess hall while I retreat to the bathroom. I'm nervous to proceed into the dormitory while all the lights are still off and everyone's asleep. General Sanders has not come to wake everyone yet since it's only 5:45 in the morning. I'm glad I slept in my work out clothes so I don't have to go and retrieve some now.

Once everyone is up and on the track my day doesn't really feel any more normal. The awkward exchange between Harry and I this morning mixed with the anxiety I still feel from yesterday's incident has put me in a weird mood. I feel mad that somebody tried to kill me, obviously, but I sort of feel happy that Harry and I's relationship is in a good place- or at least better than it used to be. When I see him, I don't feel like ripping his eyes out. I also feel confused, because I don't understand why Harry's being so nice to me and nervous because I don't want to get cut from the program. Mixed with the exhaustion of training and the mental exhaustion of navigating my relationship with the other recruits, I can't quite describe what emotion constantly consumes me. I also can't decide if it's good or bad.

When our run upstairs is completed and all of us have had breakfast, Sanders makes his presence known at the front of the mess hall. I see he holds 3 different binders and an important looking clipboard. All of us instantly fall silent and look towards the commanding figure. He waits a few seconds, surveying us all scrupulously, then begins:

"We've got an off base mission for every pair today. You'll all be conducting different operations with your partners."

My heart leaps. Anything is better than wallowing around in the cement prison that is the training centre. I'm eager to be away from the other recruits, and, oddly, I'm looking forward to spending time alone with Harry.

Sarah and Mac are given a mission going undercover at a brunch banquet for the prime ministers senior advisor. They're to gather as much information as possible about the state of foreign military affairs. I feel a spark of longing as I listen to their assignment, but hold my tongue. I'm sure that whatever mission Harry and I have been given will be just as good.

Next, Victoria and Adam are told that they'll be taking the train to Paris and breaking into a foreign affairs office next to the parliament building. They're to obtain certain military documents from the bureau of investigations. Everything sounds so exciting, so I hold my breath as the General turns to Harry and I.

"You'll be gathering external evidence for research reference. We have certain addresses we need you to locate, take pictures of and observe."

My heart drops and I let out a deep breath I was holding. We're going to be... driving around and taking pictures? From the sound of it we're not even going to be leaving the car the whole day. I turn to Harry but he faces strictly forward. I try not to let the disappointment I feel show on my face. Why does everybody else get high profile missions while we're stuck with desk jockey work? It doesn't make sense... I thought Harry and I were at the top of the group.

When the other recruits, including Harry, have left the mess hall, I can't bring myself to go quietly.

"General Sanders, sir?" I question before he exits. The General turns to look at me quickly with an air of general annoyance.

"Yes, Frasier?"

"I wanted to ask why Agent Styles and I... why we were given the mission we have." I prod. I know I shouldn't even be looking at the General, but I can't help myself. Harry and I's meagre assignment is making me overthink my standing with MI6.

"Take the assignment and don't complain."

"But... why don't we have any of the high level assignments? Is it something to do with-"

"No more questions Frasier! Go get changed and report to the track."

"But, sir-"

"Go!" General Sanders shouts. I decide it's time to shut my mouth. I quickly salute him and turn away, heading for the opposite exit. I head towards the dormitories angrily, my footsteps heavier than usual. Why does this place give me absolutely no answers? First that weird conversation I heard in the hallway, then the matter of who tried to kill me, and now General Sanders won't give me an explanation for my mission. I feel like I know absolutely nothing at all.

I pull a pair of jeans and a white t-shirt on with a huff. I try to ignore the others in the room who could be watching me change, one of which could be my potential attacker. I leave first and wait up on the track without company. I don't particularly feel like hanging out with the other recruits right now- I'm a little too envious for that.

Once everybody is ready, they're lead off in different directions. Mac and Sarah get to ride in a limo, dressed to the nine's for their fancy brunch. A helicopter lands on the field which Victoria and Adam get into eagerly, no doubt ecstatic about their mission. Harry and I wait another 10 minutes until a small, black car pulls up. It's not bad, but it's a lot worse than what I thought MI6 had to offer. James Bond never drove a Toyota, that's for sure.

I don't really care about the car, but I can't help comparing the other recruits mode's of transportation to ours. The envy within me swells.

"Frasier, Styles, instructions are in the binder. Try to be back before 9. We'll debrief then." Sanders tells us and then walks off. Harry and I are alone and presumably driving off base by ourselves. Both of us go for the driver's side door at the same time.

"I'm driving." Harry states confidently.

"Why can't I drive?"

"Because I said so." He asserts, but I know he's trying to hold back a smirk. 

"I want to drive." I refuse to cave.

"Well, we don't always get what we want." Harry retorts

"Right. If that's the case then you can step away from the car."

Harry looks down at me with a deep crease in his brow. The astonishing height difference between us is made apparent as we stand so close to each other. He seems to weigh his options, then reaches his hand out and pushes my shoulder roughly. I stumble away from the car, thrown off balance, and Harry slips into the driver's seat. I can't believe what just happened.

I stomp around the front of the car and gruffly take the passengers seat. Instead of a frown, Harry is chuckling.

"You're not funny." I grumble.

"Yes I am." Harry laughs to himself before speeding off. He must slam down on the gas because I almost go through the windshield.

"Harry!" I exclaim, trying to keep my giggle in. I don't need him to know that I think he's funny, too. A few weeks ago if he pushed me I would have retrieved a gun and shot him. Now, I know that he's not doing it to be mean. Well, he is, but I'm not offended by his attitude anymore. It's just the way that Harry is- difficult.

"We're spies now. I'm going to drive like a spy."

"First of all, you're not a spy yet. Second, no one's chasing us."

"Blah, blah, blah. Go spoil someone else's fun." Harry mocks me. I feel anger flare through my body in that familiar way, but when I look over towards Harry I see half a smile cracked across his face. I remind myself that he's just joking. Just joking.

At any rate, I'm happy that Harry and I are at least talking. After our awkward training session this morning and the unspoken words between us I thought I'd never muster the courage to even look at him again. Maybe today we can repair our relationship- I just don't know how to act around him since he saved my life and was so kind to me in the changing rooms that morning. I'm sure he doesn't know how to act around me, either.

The conversation naturally dies out and the only words spoken between us are me giving Harry directions. We start in the South of London first, a 50 minute drive from base. When Harry and I finally reach our destination, he takes forever to find parking although I point out multiple spots.

As we finally come to a stop and pick up the camera from the backseat, I survey our surroundings and then turn to the binder for information.

"This says it should be that building, across the street. Number 1402." I tell Harry. I'm not sure why because he obviously isn't paying attention. I huff and turn away, aiming the camera at the front door of the building and taking a couple pictures.

"It says we're supposed to wait in front of each location for 30 minutes and observe the surroundings." I convey more information to Harry. He lets out a sigh of boredom.

"What the hell is there to observe?" He complains, groaning like a child.

"Well there's... there's, um..." I stutter, looking for any reason to keep Harry from getting annoyed. I know if he gets annoyed by our mission he'll get annoyed with me, then he'll get angry, and then we'll end up fighting. I do not need another disagreement with Harry when we're going to be locked in a small car together for the rest of the day.

"Check it out! A dog just shit on that curb! Incredible. Do you think we should tell General Sanders?" Harry exclaims sarcastically. I laugh loudly, something I've never really done around Harry..

"Yes, of course. Dog shit is of the utmost importance to national security." I quip. Harry chuckles and I see him shake his head in disbelief. Harry laughing with me instead of at me? How weird.

We sit and joke about the occasional odd passerby from time to time until our half hour is up. The only notable appearance is of one man which enters the building we've been assigned to watch. I take a picture of him, but nothing notable happens. When we can finally head to our next location Harry cheers.

I direct him and we drive for another 15 minutes. This location is on a busy street in the centre of the city. There are many more people walking by now for Harry and I to make fun of. I take the obligatory photos of the building we've been assigned to watch, but I'm looking forward to playing the game Harry and I have created more.

"What do you reckon he does?" Harry questions, leaning towards me and pointing at a man in a pink suit who's pants are too short and briefcase far too large.

"An exotic dancer. Definitely. His pants are so short so he can rip them off easier." I imagine a job for the harmless looking man. Harry falls back with laughter and grips his stomach. I like the sound of Harry's laugh- he never really lets me hear it.

"Right, what about her?" I point to our left, designating a very old woman in a green silken dress, an enormous hat, and absolutely covered in furs.

"Oh my god, it's Snape dressed as Neville's grandma. We've spotted a wizard!" Harry shouts sarcastically. My mouth turns up and instantly I see the resemblance.

"Sure looks like a bogart to me."

Harry laughs and I make a note of our mutual interest. I guess I have one thing to talk about if all else fails.

This game continues for another half an hour, then we're onto our next location, then another, then another, then another. By the time I pay attention to my watch 4 hours has passed. I hear my stomach rumble from below and notice Harry's does the same right after.

"Shall we stop for food?" I question, looking to Harry inquisitively. I never quite imagined I'd be stopping for lunch in the city with him, both of us on relatively good terms. Harry nods and drives for a couple blocks before pulling up in front of a McDonalds. I eagerly get out of the car once we park and rush into the building, not bothering to wait for Harry. I am in desperate need of food.

We order and sit down with our trays. I notice how Harry lays out all his condiments in a row. Ketchup, then barbecue sauce, then sweet n' sour.

"Right, you've got to eat the nuggets first. They're like an appetizer. Your main course, of course, is the Big Mac." He starts to talk with a posh accent, popping a piece of chicken in his mouth and gesturing to the fast-food in front of us. I laugh at his demonstration and nod along.

"What do you do with the fries?" I humour him. He raises his finger with a dimpled smile and bows his head in appreciation.

"Now that is a superb question." He continues with his fake fancy accent. A large smile lights up my face. He finishes his nuggets and unboxes his Big Mac before removing the bun and stuffing fries onto the patty.

"The trick is, you can't have too many or too little. The burger must be in equilibrium with the fries, if you will." He continues to joke, as funny as ever. I can't help from snorting with laughter as he demonstrates. This behaviour is very strange. Very strange indeed. Why the hell is Harry being so nice to me? Maybe he's thinking the very same thing- why am I being so nice to him? I guess there's no need to question it. As long as it's happening, I'm not going to complain.

I begin to eat and think of another topic for conversation.

"How'd you know this McDonald's was here? It wasn't on the navigation."

"My family lived in an apartment across the street." Harry says nonchalantly. This is the first time he's mentioned his family, ever. For all I know he appeared out of thin air one day.

"Your family? Do they still live there?" I question. I might be pushing my limits, but now is as good a time as any to try. I kind of want to get to know Harry more and he seems to be in a relatively good mood. He hesitates and I see his shoulders stiffen.

"Uh, no." He quickly responds, keeping his eyes trained on the burger in his hands. I can't help it and push once more.

"Where are they now?"

"In the cemetery, I suppose." Harry quips in a monotone. I wasn't expecting that and awkwardly look away. I remind myself that I'm supposed to be nice to Harry now.

"I'm, um, sorry... what happened, if you don't mind me asking?"

"None of your business." Harry retorts harshly and I shrink away. I shouldn't have asked that.

"Right. Sorry." I concede, taking responsibility for my actions for the first time since I met Harry. I knew his cheerful demeanour wouldn't last long, but I don't really blame him. We sit in silence while we finish our food. I expect that Harry will be silent for the rest of the day, but instead when he finishes his burger he starts again.

"Where's your... family?" He forces out. It's always amusing to watch him struggle when he's trying to be nice, but I appreciate his effort nonetheless. He's obviously consciously trying to be kind to me, just as I am to him, although it clearly still takes a little bit of effort.

"Same place as yours." I answer truthfully. At this, Harry looks up and we make eye contact. I see an odd emotion transpiring behind his features that I can't quite put my finger on. He looks sort of happy, but not in a cruel way. Rather as if he's glad that I'm just the same as him.

"Sorry." He murmurs. I don't know if he means that or not, but him forcing himself to say it is enough. I shrug and push away the swell of pain in my heart. It's best not to think about it.

"I guess MI6 has a type." I joke, attempting to lighten the mood. To my surprise, Harry lets out a small chuckle.

"How the hell did you get into Oxford?" Harry blurts seemingly without thinking. I try to ignore the suddenness of his outburst and decide if I want to elaborate for him. I guess if all my family are dead it doesn't make sense that I'd get into one of the top universities in the world.

"I had a connection with the government before they died..." I trail off, hoping that's all the information Harry needs. He raises his brows and nods.

"Well, I never had any connections..." He trails off and I smile at him. Somehow, Harry and I have just had a semi-serious conversation without wanting to strangle each other. This is definitely a first. When our meal is finished we proceed back to the car and drive to our next spot. We continue our game and when we're finally done for the day, I don't know exactly how to feel.

Physically, I feel great. My stomach hurts from laughing so much and I'm in high spirits- higher than I've had in a while. Emotionally, I'm confused. Harry and I got along so well today- the best we ever have. He sort of opened up to me and he wasn't a complete asshole the whole time we were together. That must count for something. Maybe I'm finally getting into his good graces. Whatever the reason, I'm glad. I ought to have an amicable relationship with my partner who I'm stuck with for the rest of my time training.

Harry starts to head back towards base. After an hour and a half drive, we finally begin to enter the rolling hills which encase the training base. I don't really know what else is around here because we've never been allowed so far outside base on our own. There aren't any lights to illuminate the pavement we drive along and Harry takes a sharp left turn.

"Where are you going?"

"This is the way to base, isn't it?" He questions, turning to me hesitantly. This road is shrouded darkly by bushes and winds much more than the road to base.

"No... I don't think so." I tell him. Harry begins to slow, moving to turn around, but something in the distance catches my eye. There are small lights and I can just make out the silhouette of a large building. I know it's not base, so what on Earth could it be?

"Do you see that?"

"See what?"

"Those lights up there... and the building." I trail off, getting lost in my observations. This road appears all but deserted, but if the lights are on that must mean something resides at the end of the road.

Harry comes to a full stop and I watch as he squints his eyes and leans forward towards the windshield.

"Yeah, I guess."

"We should go see what it is."

"What? Why?" Harry mutters and I detect a hint of nerves in his voice. Harry Styles? Nervous? We're not around water right now so I thought it was impossible.

"Come on, don't be a baby." I retort sarcastically. I look to Harry and his stare penetrates mine. This is a look I haven't seen before and my breath is taken away. How can Harry make my heart beat so hard by just looking at me? I don't like it. He watches me carefully, attempting to make up his mind, then sighs and looks away. He continues to drive forward.

I stay silent even though no one outside the car can hear me and we pull up towards the building. The light illuminates the area but I don't see any other cars parked nearby. An entrance resides at the front of the building and I can see lamps turned on within. The structure is obviously in use, but for what purpose? My mind flashes back to the odd conversation I heard in the hallway of headquarters and instantly I'm suspicious. What could be hiding in there?

"Should we go in?" I question quietly, refusing to take my eyes from the mysterious building.

"What? No! Are you crazy?" Harry, surprisingly, responds. With his high and mighty attitude I thought our roles in this situation would be reversed.

"What? What are you afraid of?" I question. I don't dare to look at Harry. I feel as though if I meet his gaze he'll be able to convince me to go back to base.

"That we'll get caught and kicked out of MI6." He states simply. I scramble for an excuse.

"Look, there's not even any cars in the lot. There's no one here. I want to see what's inside." I urge Harry. He sighs, obviously dissonant. He doesn't want to go in but he can't let himself seem like more of a chicken than me.

"What do you even think will be inside? It's probably just a bunch of boring offices." Harry tries once more to dissuade me. I'm not having it.

"Don't you remember the room you saw in the abandoned building while we were playing capture the flag?"

"What about it? You think there's another one like it here?" Harry humours me, starting to catch on. I nod and shrug.

"I don't know, but if there is I want to see it."

Harry sighs, shakes his head, then takes the key out of the ignition. The quiet rumble of the car engine ceases and we're left in silence.

"Lets be quick about it, you psycho." Harry mutters indignantly. I smile and climb out of the car quietly. Harry follows hesitantly and we stalk towards the front entrance. I don't see any signs of life so I proceed and push the door. It opens without a problem and we're through in a second.

Harry and I are greeted by a long dark hallway, illuminated with dim lights which appear every couple meters. The hallway is made of cement and there are doors lining the walls on each side. If I didn't know any better, I might think I was in a horror movie.

"Rosy, I don't like this..." Harry murmurs. I roll my eyes.

"It's not like we're following a trail of spiders into the forest. Calm down Weasley." I retort. Harry scoffs.

"I am not like Ron!"

"Well that's funny because you sound like him." I respond quietly without looking back at Harry. I hear him huff but follow me nonetheless. As we continue I see it- what I was searching for. Down one of these halls light leaks out from under a door. I point it out to Harry and he nods in acknowledgment.

We creep forward and stop at the door. Sure enough, just as I expected, the sound of low voices creeps out from under the space beneath the door.

"And nobody knows yet? Are you sure?" A low, husky voice asks. Both Harry and I jump at the unexpected sound and place our ears to the entrance of the room.

"Yes, I'm sure. They have no idea." General Sanders answers back. Harry and I look to each other with wide eyes.

"And the training?"

"Coming along well. They should be ready by the end of the next month." Sanders informs the mystery voice. I have no idea what I'm listening to right now.

"The plan? They'll be able to execute?"

"Of course. It should only take 5 minutes and we won't have to worry about the rest."

"But what about the union, it'll be destr-"

"-Shh. Don't talk about that here. There may be someone listening." General Sanders cuts the first voice off. Harry and I look to each other and I can see in his eyes he's had enough. He grabs my arm roughly and yanks me down the hallway, away from the door. I don't have any protests. I have no idea if the General knows we're outside, but I'd rather not find out. As quietly as our boots will allow, we race from the dark building and back into our car. Harry wastes no time starting the engine and speeding from the lot back onto the winding road.

"What the fuck was that!?!" Harry exclaims as soon as the building is no longer in sight and we're back on the way to base. I check my watch and find that it's 8:45.

"I-I have no idea..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 375 25
Amanda Frost is an undercover agent who is assigned to trap the world's most successful drug dealer. Only, there is a problem. His number one worker...
728K 21.9K 72
Patience Blake is a top agent, but so is Harry Styles. Will they work well together, or will problems stand in their way?
43.9K 806 61
"I promised to keep you safe, and that's exactly what I'm going to do." Kelly Tomlinson followed in her father's footsteps at just 13 years old to be...
Killer Love By JM

Fanfiction

10.8K 339 19
He extends his hand out for me to shake. "I'm Harry Styles by the way." I almost laugh. Like I already didn't know that. Instead, I slide my sunglass...