Darkly Devoted (Book 1)

By KateLorraine

Vivienne didn't believe in vampires until she started to suspect her prince might be one. Which will she sacr... More

Chapter 1 - My Best Friend's Disappearance
Chapter 2 - A Very Unhappy Birthday
Chapter 3 - Tales in the Attic
Chapter 4 - Mr. Calbert "Good-Enough" Henton
Chapter 5 - Everyone Loves Mercury
Chapter 6 - No Love Song for a Vampire
Chapter 7 - The Prince Not Chosen
Chapter 8 - Unsolicited Advice
Chapter 10 - The Greatest City
Chapter 11 - Getting Cozy in Cosel
Chapter 12 - Diremore Castle
Chapter 13 - A Chicken-Butt Interlude
Chapter 14 - The Gentleman's Transformation
Chapter 15 - Fighting Back
Chapter 16 - The Friendzone
Chapter 17 - Old Friends and New Enemies
Chapter 18 - A Little Betrayal
Chapter 19 - Kind of a Kidnapping
LOMD Chapter 1 - A Dangerous Friend
LOMD Chapter 2 - You Can't Go Home Again
LOMD Chapter 3 - A Cottage In the Woods
LOMD Chapter 4 - Never Kiss a Demon
LOMD Chapter 5 - The New Girl in Town
LOMD Chapter 6 - My Sister's Boyfriend is a Snack
LOMD Chapter 7 - Chasing the Henton Boy
LOMD Chapter 8 - The Sleepy Town
LOMD Chapter 9 - Demon Attack!
LOMD Chapter 10 - So You Wanna be Popular?
LOMD Chapter 11 - Probably Out Doing Drugs
LOMD Chapter 12 - One True Enemy
LOMD Chapter 13 - Night at the Sunny Side
LOMD Chapter 14 - Don't Call Me Samantha
LOMD Chapter 15 - It's Armani, You Poors
LOMD Chapter 16 - The Outcast's Revenge
LOMD Chapter 17 - There Was No Sex Tape!
LOMD Chapter 18 - The Pointy End
LOMD Chapter 19 - Love and War
LOMD Chapter 20 - The Girl On Blue Fire
LOMD Chapter 21 - The Other Daughter
LOMD Chapter 22 - Hell is Empty Tonight
OTF Chapter 1 - A Love Triangle?
OTF Chapter 2 - A+V 4Ever
OTF Chapter 3 - Makeover
OTF Chapter 4 - The Tingles
OTF Chapter 5 - Lonely Nights
OTF Chapter 6 - Wingman Julian
OTF Chapter 7 - The Real Blood-Suckers
OTF Chapter 8 - A First Time for Everything
OTF Chapter 9 - No Cinderella
OTF Chapter 10 - Words Unspoken
OTF Chapter 11 - For the Sake of Vivienne
OTF Chapter 12 - An Unfortunate Encounter
OTF Chapter 13 - Blake's Secret
OTF Chapter 14 - Of Tea Parties and Girl Talk
OTF Chapter 15 - Friends. . .Forever
OTF Chapter 16 - One Last Night
OTF Chapter 17 - Fire and Water
OTF Chapter 18 - The Missing Piece
OTF Chapter 19 - A Poisonous Kiss
OTF Chapter 20 - Living Without

Chapter 9 - A Long-Lost Friend

40.6K 1.3K 273
By KateLorraine

Chapter 9

VIVIENNE DIDN'T believe in fairy tales. Growing up, she never dreamed of becoming a princess. She was the kind of girl who fantasized about marrying the boy next door. In her wildest, most secret of dreams, she used to pretend she was the girlfriend of a gangster. Not a real gangster, but one of the boys at school who dressed in baggy jeans, put gel in their hair, and who used to get kicked out of movie theaters for wearing too many chains. That was probably the wildest fantasy she ever had when it came to boys.

When she woke up the next morning, Vivienne discovered she wasn't the shy girl with dark witchy hair who fantasized about boys on motorcycles anymore. The word around Pearl Tower was that she was "The Verge Vixen." The girl who was on a verge of royalty, that was her new claim to fame.

Wisteria, aka Panther, on the other hand, was strutting about the courtyard as though she already had a tiara on her head. She waved enthusiastically to Vivienne in the hallway.

"I'm so sorry about the Mars," Wisteria said, with a gaggle of followers admiring her every move. "You probably wouldn't fit in with his crowd anyway."

Vivienne wondered if Wisteria had bothered to listen to the second story of the day, which was that Prince Mercury had been spotted cavorting about the outskirts of Manna City with a full house of disreputable girls in his company. But here, with her bright yellow dress and pretty pink ballerina flats, one would think Wisteria was the queen of the world. Vivienne hoped none of her new followers were cruel enough to inform her that her new nickname was "Wed to Prince Playboy."

Vivienne suddenly regretted dressing in a simple black skirt with a white blouse with pearl buttons. To those that didn't know her, she probably looked like she was going to a funeral. Vivienne picked up breakfast and met Sallen in the dining room to eat. The dining area was surprisingly empty. There were a couple of seasoned Orlins, stuffing their faces with salad while checking their cellphones. There were also men and women with shifty eyes who Vivienne didn't recognize. She finally found Madame Jyger, seated among a group of serious-looking Orlins. She pointed Vivienne to an area behind a painted silkscreen. There, Vivienne found Sallen was sitting by herself and a bowl of spinach and anemone soup.

"Where is everybody?" Vivienne asked.

"Sssh," Sallen said. "Keep your voice down." Sallen was wearing make-up and her hair was done up in a bun. Vivienne suddenly wished that she had done more than brush her teeth and run a comb through her hair that morning.

"Why?"

"Don't you know anything?" Sallen asked. "Oh yeah, you're been too busy hibernating to follow the news. After the Night Masquerade, the Pearl Tower is open to the public again. Only the richest, classiest members of Manna City citizens could afford to come in but even so reporters manage to get inside. They're listening to us."

"So we're supposed to sneak around like criminals?"

"No, we're supposed to leave," Sallen said and showed Vivienne a text message from Jaker Henton. "He invited us to live at the Henton Estates with his uncle. Calbert will be there too, of course. I'm supposed to tell you to pack your things. We're leaving in three hours."

"Wait, wait, back up. First of all, where did you get a cell phone?" Vivienne asked. She wondered if she had been sleeping for ten years instead of ten hours.

"I got it from Madame Jayer. She gave me yours too. They will call us when we're supposed to meet with them again. For now, we're supposed to work on our bonds with our Ansuras." Sallen pulled a cellphone out of her other pocket.

When Vivienne turned it on, the welcome screen said "Greetings, Vivienne Salome. You have one new message."

Vivienne clicked on it immediately, hoping for a second that it was from her parents. Instead, it was from Calbert. It said "Sallen has a message for you. Let me know when you get it. We'll talk soon."

Vivienne frowned and shut the phone down. "I don't like this idea of moving in with a family we barely know."

"Well, we don't have a choice do we?" Sallen asked, with a touch of impatience. She angrily shoved another large spoonful of soup into her mouth. Vivienne suspected she was more angry with their situation than with her. "We can't stay here. The Hentons aren't bad people. I bet they have a big house." Sallen looked like she didn't believe the words that were coming out of her mouth.

"I wonder if Calbert knows that I intend to escape back home the first chance I get."

"Vivienne!" Sallen snapped. "Stop joking like that. There are people listening! If they think you're planning on escaping they might throw you in jail."

"All right," Vivienne finally agreed. She stood up and picked up the remains of her uneaten sandwich. She was starting to wish she could go back home where she could spend her days dreaming of the awful things happened in Manna City instead of actually living them. With Blake being revealed as one of the bad guys, she didn't even know who to hate anymore. Now, she just felt confused.

Vivienne left the dining room to find Wisteria still posing in the courtyard. Now, she had a large, black, panther-like dog on a diamond leash sitting beside her. For a second, Vivienne wondered if Wisteria were rich, or rather vain enough, to buy herself a mascot for the expressed purpose of posing with it. However, on closer inspection, it was clear that it belonged to one of her admirers — a young boy dressed in a custom-tailored suit with a silk scarf around his neck who had so eagerly come to meet his idol.

Vivienne momentarily felt envious that despite being the larger news item, she hadn't been approached by a single fan. Wisteria, on the other hand, had the population of a small town at her feet.

As Vivienne turned to leave, she came across a young girl who was holding out a sheet of blank paper.

"Orlin Vixen, will you sign this?" the girl asked. The girl was so adorable with her apple-like cheeks and angelic voice that Vivienne could hardly say no. She picked up the pen and signed the sheet of paper. No ink came out but Vivienne recognized it as a disposable pen that memorized one's signature and could be reproduced anywhere. It also, apparently, took down her fingerprints. Manna City took their celebrity worship seriously.

"Don't go using it to sign your report cards now," Vivienne joked. "What's your name?'

"It's not for me," the girl with the pigtails said with a smile and plucked the pen out of Vivienne's hands. "My mistress is a big fan. Don't disappoint her." The girl turned and ran away.

After the girl with the pigtails left, a swarm of well-wishers suddenly appeared out of nowhere. At their forefront was a chubby girl with huge round librarian glasses who was jotting down notes. "How does it feel to have been followed by the King's daughter, the Lady Maglania herself, Vix?"

"The King's daughter?" Vivienne asked. In the distance, she saw an entourage of guards all dressed in white. She suddenly understood why all the fans had all kept their distance until now. They had been terrified of impinging on the King's daughter. She wasn't a princess or a prince. Maglania was so secretive that no one had ever seen her face. But rumor had it that she was very disfigured. The last time Vivienne had heard, Maglania had an incurable disease and had retreated to a hospital to die. That was years ago. Vivienne squinted to see a glimpse of the poor woman, the one who if she had been healthier would have been quite the celebrity.

Vivienne imagined a shriveled up old crone in a wheelchair, perhaps those guards dressed in white were doctors. She wondered if Maglania was so sickly that she couldn't bring herself to approach Vivienne in person. Vivienne wanted to at least catch her eye and smile at her. Vivienne prepared herself for the worst sight in the world. She was ready for a woman covered in bandages or a body with missing limbs. Vivienne readied herself to smile back like a professional celebrity.

But there was nothing that could have prepared Vivienne for what she saw. Vivienne didn't smile at all. The woman that the girl with pigtails ran up to was accompanied by the royal guards. She was wearing a capette of snow-white fur. Her hair was as red as blood and it cascaded down her back in curls. Vivienne had seen hair like that before. With one gloved hand, Maglania received the autograph pen and smiled back. She tilted down her sunglasses and met Vivienne's eyes.

Vivienne's blood froze in her veins. Those eyes. That red hair. That could not be Maglania. Vivienne had grown up with that woman.

"Allison," Vivienne whispered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 2.5K 27
"Why are we like this?" "This is what our destiny wanted." "No this is all what YOU wanted," I said quite harshly and then definitely regretted and a...
3.1K 153 30
What happens when (Y/n), a young vampire queen, falls in love with one of the princes when love is forbidden between human and creature...? Read more...
2.7K 70 19
Betrayed by the one she loved, but given a second chance, would she take a different path this time? Viona Beslire, a Duke's only daughter, never wan...
6.1K 187 62
Two teenagers fight for their right to just be in love, no matter the consequences. This is their story, two high school sweethearts with a nine mont...