ᴍʏ ᴍᴏᴍ ɪs ᴡʜᴏ? ✔︎

By mutedash

Meet Cody, an average teenager, dealing with a rough home life and the school bully, who just so happens to b... More

Chapter One
Unfortunate Exception
We'll Find Her
How Do You Know My Name?
The Thing Is...
Baby Morgan
When Shit Hits Multiple Fans
The Talex Baby
She Just Needs Her Mom
Creaky Floorboards
Have A Little Hope
Someone Like Him
Young Love, Under Arrest
Have Hope
Racing Tobin, Crashing Krashlyn
Gone Viral
Stay Away From My Mom, Tobin
Squirrel Invasion
Mama #2
Mama Morgan
Ellie To The Rescue
Haunted
State Championship Pt 1
State Championship Pt 2
State Championship Pt 3
Officially A Morgan
#JELLIE
Mini Morgan
Another Session
Savage Jack, Trouble Brewing
Percocet
A Mother's View
A Little Help From Moms
Are We There Yet?
Jen & Jer
The Conspiracy
Grandma Pam
Coffee Shop Encounter
Jeri Advice
My Best Friend, My Defender
Protective Jeri
Secret Talents, Broken Promises
Cravings Pt I
Cravings Pt II
A Little Help
For You
Surprises Of All Kinds
Life or Death
Detective Jeri
Not Again!
Captain
Inked By Autumn
Confrontation Pt I
Confrontation Pt II
Aftermath
The Calm
JACK S#!T
Famous Last Words
The Morning After
Consequences
Motherly Figures
Girlfriends, Broken Hearts
Warrior
Angry Alex
Jordan
The Auz
She's A Morgan
Serious Kelley
The End
Footsteps

Birthday

6.5K 165 18
By mutedash

| Cody |

"WAKE UP, BITCH!!!" I hear first thing in the morning but I don't respond, I groan and pull my blanket over my head in a feeble attempt to hide from the world. "I don't think so, Maxi. It's your birthday, get up!" I ignore my so-called 'best friend' to the best of my abilities as she begins to jump on my bed until I feel another body joining her.

"Get up, Cody!" Jeri yells, effectively chasing all remnants of sleep from my system.

"No, go away. Wake me up tomorrow."

I met with multiple chuckles, obviously assuming that I'm only joking, but I'm not. My birthday has never been a happy event in my life, and if I'm being honest I've been dreading it since Alex showed up in my life. As bad as it sounds, it's the truth.

"Bitch, wake up!" Jack playfully kicks me. "Ouch! That was uncalled for."

"Language." I hear Hope scold her, after what I assume was a slap to the head, making me chuckle.

"I know you're awake!" Jeri yells as she throws her body next to me on my bed, pulling my blankets away.

Finally peeling my eyes open, I smile at my crazy aunt and glance around my bedroom to see my best friend rubbing the back of her head and Hope standing next to her but they're not who I'm looking for. I see my mom leaning against my doorframe, arms crossed over her chest, a gentle smile on her face.

I kick my aunt off my bed, chuckling when she lands with a THUMP. I climb out of my bed, slapping Jack on the head as I pass her, ignoring her complaints and head towards my mom.

"Happy birthday, baby girl."

I try my best to push away all my memories of my previous birthdays and focus on now. I'm surrounded by family, my real family and I can't cling on to past no matter how hard it tries to replay in my mind. I simply smile at my mom, and hug her when she motions for me to do so.

"I love you, Cody." She whispers in my ear, making me grin like The Joker who thinks he's just killed Batman.

"I love you too, mom." I whisper back, and she squeezes me tighter. I revel in the feeling of safety she emits from a single embrace, only for the moment to be ruined.

"Yeah. I love you too." Jack mumbles and when I pull away from my mom and look at my best friend, she's rolling her eyes at me.

To make her happy, I run at her, laughing at the stunned and scared look on her face and I collide with my best friend. I hug her tighter than I hugged my mom, Jack has always been there for me, no matter what I've been through, she was always the one that would have my back - even if I was in the wrong.

"Get dressed, you stink. Then we'll have breakfast and presents!" Jeri squeals, making us all laugh as she runs out of the room. "Yes! Pancakes!" We hear her yell from the kitchen.

Everyone else eventually shuffles out of my bedroom and I proceed with my morning routine, getting a shower and brushing my teeth before throwing on some clothes. I sit on my bed as I put on my Nike's and stay there, my elbows on my knees, when I've finished.

"You okay, kid?"

Lifting my head, I smile when I see Ali. I give her a small nod, wanting to lie to her so that she doesn't worry and that I don't have to go through all my memories again, but they're a constant reminder of how messed up my life has been and right now, I'd love to just hit pause and take a breath.

Ali obviously doesn't believe me as she ventures over the threshold and enters my room. She sits beside me on my bed, placing an arm around my shoulder and pulling me into a side hug.

"You're a terrible liar. I'm guessing that runs in your family, Alex has the worst poker face." I chuckle quietly as she studies my profile as I refuse to look at her. I continue to start at the floor. "What's wrong?" She asks, and I serious consider just telling her everything.

"Nothing's wrong. I'm just..." I trail off into nothing but a sigh.

"Just what, Cody?" Mom asks from the doorway. I didn't even notice she was there, but I guess that's what happens when you stare at your feet, and she too sits on my bed, but the opposite side to me than Ali and I'm sandwiched between my two moms, since Ali's name is on my paperwork. I lean my head on Alex's shoulder while Ali's arm remains around me.

"I'm not used to this. To people caring, wanting to spend time with me, especially on my birthday."

"We're always gonna be here, kid." Ali starts, only for Alex to finish her sentence.

"Whether you like it or not. I love you, we love you and everyone here cares about you."

They both wrap their arms around me and I'm engulfed in a small group hug with my mom and the woman that took care of me while my mom was finishing last season in Orlando. I involuntarily sigh in content, possibly for the first time in my life, and I let myself simmer in the feelings of love and safety that these two women bring.

"Aww, that's cute." Ashlyn rudely interrupts our moment as she stands by the door beside Hope.

"It is but come on, get your ass downstairs, birthday girl. Your best friend is driving everyone nuts." Hope instructs and I chuckle, knowing it to be true. Jack can drive anyone crazy in a short amount of time, especially paired up with Jeri, who seems to act like my best friend's long lost twin - A.K.A, just plain crazy.

_________

After breakfast, the doorbell goes and my mom gets up to answer it. When Tobin walks through the door to the kitchen, I get up immediately to hug her - much to my mom's surprise. My own too, if I'm being honest, but Tobin's been spending a lot of time here with my mom and I've been growing more comfortable in her presence.

"Happy birthday, kiddo." Tobin ruffles my hair when we break apart, and only chuckles when I slap her hand away. Pouting, I move to sit next to Jeni, who unbelievably, is the 'normal' one...today.

"What about us?" A voice asks, catching everyone's attention, minus my mom and Tobin, and I notice everyone look at the door to see Pinoe and Sue, Kling, Kristie, Jordyn, Becky, Julie and so many of my mom's teammates, but they're not who I'm staring at.

"Holy shit, you're Sue Bird" I practically yell, my jaw hitting the floor, until my mom slaps me on the head and it's my best friend's turn to laugh at me.

"I am." Sue chuckles, extending her hand. "It's nice to meet you, Megan's told me a lot about you. Happy birthday."

I only nod and smile, my brain buzzing with meeting my favorite basketball player. The others around me chuckle at my behavior, including the Seattle star in front of me but I don't care.

I greet everyone else, noting that Jack is also a little flustered at all the Professional Athletes in our kitchen. Adapting to Alex, Hope, Ali and Kelley was one thing but this takes the cake.

"Happy birthday." Kristie whispers in my ear as we hug. I don't answer. I only tighten my hold around her neck until I worry that I'm strangling her and I loosen my grip. I pull away and see both of my aunts watching from the corner of the room. I'm pulled away from their stares when Kristie kisses my cheek, almost demanding my attention. I feel the blush rising from my neck to my face and in a bid to hide it, I pull her in for another hug but know my attempt failed when she giggles at me.

"Happy birthday, Idaho." A Canadian accent announces, and I let Kristie go to hug Jordyn. Kristie leaves when Alex calls her over and pours her some coffee while I catch up with the friend I haven't seen in a while. We end up in the backyard, passing a ball back and forth between us, Jack joins us too.

"How are things with Doc?" Jordyn asks, referring to Dr. Morris.

"Haven't been for a while." She only nods.

"It's okay, I get it. Life gets in the way sometimes."

I leave my two friends with the soccer ball as my mom calls me in, and tells me to get a sweater, that we're all going out. I look at her like she's crazy, wondering if she maybe has a bus parked outside, cause there's a shit ton of people in our kitchen and living room. Shrugging, I head to my room and grab my Orlando Pride sweater.

"No! What have you done to our Thorns fan?!" Kling yells as she spots my attire.

"We educated her. She has taste now." Ali states, wrapping an around around me and walking me out the front door, Alex and Ash flanking us. I look behind me to shake my head 'no' at Kling who wipes her brow dramatically in relief.

We spend the day together, as a huge dysfunctional group. We grab lunch, see a movie and play paintball, much to the annoyance of Jack and I, since we've played paintball with Kelley before and know she's a crazed lunatic. Safe to say she won. We ended up at an arcade, and everyone broke off to do their own thing, I headed straight for the basketball machine, and Sue joined me. My confidence at making a single shot diminished the second I laid eyes on the Pro beside me.

"Nope, nevermind." I try walking away only for her to stop me.

"I wanna see how good you are, Pinoe told me you like basketball, or are you scared?" She raises an eyebrow, questioning me.

"Are you calling me a chicken?" I mirror her raised eyebrow, watching the adult smirk at me as Jack shows up beside me.

"Maybe I am, prove me wrong."

And I did. Well, I didn't - I tried. But I'm only 17, who really thought I'd out-do the Pro? We walk away from the evil machine, her arm around me as she continues to praise me for being better than she expected, which is a huge compliment, and slightly insulting but I ignore that part.

"Why don't you play ball?" She asks, genuinely curious, and then it hits me like a ton of bricks.

His voice in my head, telling me I'm not good enough, that I'll never be anything.

My breathing becomes labored and my chest tightens despite my attempts at calming myself down. My limbs start to grow numb and my legs get weak. Sue notices almost immediately and increases her hold on me as she guides me to a nearby chair.

"Alex!" I head Jack yelling as I watch her run through the arcade in search of my mom. My vision gets blurry and I let my head drop.

Second feel like hours before my mom is on her knees in front of me, cupping my face in her hands, going through the usual routine of calming me down. I ignore everyone else in the room, my family and friends, the strangers as they pass by. I feel someone else rub my back but I ignore them too, solely focusing on Alex as she guides me.

Five minutes later and I'm breathing like a normal person again. Tobin rushes back and hands me a drink which I gulp down like I'm in a drought. I finally look at the person who was rubbing my back, smiling when I see Kristie watching me with concern shining brightly in her eyes.

"S-Sorry." I apologize to everyone, feeling guilty that I ruined their fun, but I look at Sue when I say it, knowing that she must be feeling like crap and judging by the pale complexion she's sporting - I'm right.

My mom decides it's best to call it a day, and I certainly don't argue. I've found it tough to smile through the gifts that people have given me. From the sighed basketball from Sue to new Nike cleats from Tobin. I hate people spending money on me, maybe it's because I've never had any, but I don't think it's something I'll adapt to - unlike hugging my mother.

Everyone says their goodbyes as my mom, Tobin, aunts and I climb into my mom's car and I rest my head on Jeni's shoulder, exhausted from the day while Jeri scoffs playfully because it's not her shoulder I'm leaning on.

We get back home after Hope, Kelley and Jack, and I immediately feel unsettled when I see all three of them grinning at me. Confused, I turn to ask my mom what the hell is going on, only for her, Tobin and my aunts to be smiling at me too.

"What the heck are you all grinning at me like that for?" I ask, eyes wide in fear which makes my mom giggle.

"I know you don't like people to spend money on you, but I'm your mother. There's no way I wasn't going to get you anything. So, don't even think of asking me to take it back okay?" She asks, wrapping an arm around my shoulder as she guides me to the garage, the herd following behind us.

"A Mustang?! No. Nope. No. I mean, I love it, mom. But nope. That's way too much." I shake my head profusely. I face my mom and she smiles softly at me, shaking her head.

"I haven't gotten the chance to celebrate a single birthday with you." She begins, the atmosphere shifting to sadness and a slight discomfort because it's the truth. "Besides, you're 17 now, I can't keep driving you to school." She jokes, trying to lighten the mood but I can tell she would happily drive me.

"Yeah, you can drive me instead.", Jack interrupts, making everyone laugh.
I hug my mom tightly, hoping that my embrace portrays all my emotions right now.

"Wanna take her for a spin?" She asks, holding the keys up and I grab them from her hands. Nodding, I take her hand and pull her towards the car.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

395K 6.8K 44
Abby Wambach gets hurt in a game and might not be able to continue playing. So Jill brings in a new recruit. Her name is Emily Rush, and all of the g...
4.5K 102 29
It's been 5 months since the World Cup. Alex and Tobin are planning their wedding, preparing for the day they go to court with Andy, and thinking abo...
168K 3.9K 46
17 years years ago Ali Krieger gave birth to a young girl named Y/n. For 5 years she was the light of the Uswnt but when Y/n gets lost and ends up in...
413K 7.3K 52
Sage is 17 and her life has taken a turn for the worse ever since she lost her father. Her mother has become abusive and hasn't let Sage out of the h...