Dog Days: Book One

By Crimson_Graves

BOOK ONE She had her whole life planned. What she didn't plan for was the zombie apocalypse. Eighteen-year... More

IMPORTANT
Dog Days
Cast
Part One
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
Part Two
19
20
21
22
23
24
26
27
Part Three
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
Sequel: Rabid Nights
~Fanworks~
Playlist
BONUS CHAPTER #1
BONUS CHAPTER #2

25

2.5K 181 396
By Crimson_Graves

The ear-splitting scream rang out again, cutting through the air like tires squealing on asphalt. The air turned cold, leaving a trail of goosebumps wherever the frigid wind kissed Arryn's skin.  The hair on her arms and back of her neck stood on edge.

"It's a woman!" Claire exclaimed. She shifted her weight towards the edge of the boat, almost causing the trio to capsize.

"Easy, Claire," Austin growled, gripping the edge of her shirt and pulling her back into him. The boat rocked back and forth before settling on the water.

"Sorry," Claire said righting herself.  Austin and Claire exchanged an awkward glance for a brief moment. "Should we help them?" Claire averted her gaze to meet Arryn's.

"She looks injured." Arryn noticed as the woman collapsed to the ground.

"She could be infected. We shouldn't take the risk," Austin stated. He narrowed eyes towards the embankment.

"Austin, we can't just leave her here.  She needs our help," Arryn protested.

"Arryn," Austin sighed, " we can't go picking up strangers like strays off the side of the street. We don't know if they bite and God only knows what they're infected with.

"We saved Mateo. What happened to wanting to help save others?" Arryn asked slightly irritated.

"That part of me died when Dante stabbed your father in the back to gain power. "

"Austin," Claire hissed.

"Austin," Arryn muttered through gritted teeth, "I'm telling you Dante had nothing to do with my Dad's passing. Please stop bringing it up. You keep opening a wound that I'm trying to let heal. "

"You need to get the infection out of the wound before you let it heal. But I'm done fighting. If you want to support him after what he did be my guest. When he stabs you in the back don't expect me to come running to your rescue."

Tears threatened to stain her cheeks, but Arryn wasn't going to give him the satisfaction. Her friend had changed, but so had the world.

A loud thunk, followed by a howl sounded inside the boat. Arryn peered up to see Claire holding her fist. Austin held his nose which had ruby droplets trailing from his nostrils.

"Leave Arryn alone! We are going to save this woman and that's final. If I hear you say another word about Dante so help me I will beat the living snot out of you. Arryn has been nothing but kind to you and all you've repaid her with is your wild conspiracy theories and negativity. I'm tired of it. So speak your next words carefully," Claire threatened.

Austin's eyes had never looked so wide. His eyebrows scrunched together as he seemed to think about his next words with caution.  "I'm sorry I've been such a jerk lately.  I think it's my way of coping with everything.  I still don't know about my parents or my sister and every time I think of them I get angry with myself.  I acted like a spoiled brat just because I didn't get my way and now I will never see them again." Tears fell from his eyes, along with the red stream from his nose.

Claire's hardened gaze softened as she handed him a napkin. " We've all lost the ones we love. It's hard, trust me I know, but you guys have become my family now. While that doesn't replace the hole my family left behind, it helps me get by. But you can't keep pushing us away, Austin. You have to let us in."  Claire placed her hand on his,  giving him a gentle squeeze.

"I'm really sorry guys," Austin apologized once more, looking up at Arryn.

"It's okay. I forgive you," Arryn said, a smile breaking the hardened expression that had taken over her face. "Now let's go save this damsel in distress."

The boat cut through the falling rain's ripples. The hum of the motor drowned out by the patter of the cold rain. They reached the shore in minutes. The woman lay motionless on the ground.

She looked to be in rough shape. Her light brown skin was covered in dirt and bleeding scratches. Her hair sat a matted mess upon her head. Arryn could barely distinguish the soil from the woman's hair color. A few leaves lay buried beneath strands of hair, peaking through the open crevices as if they were trying to escape their prison. The clothes enveloping her seemed as if they had gone toe to toe with a tiger and lost. Strings and shredded cloth hung from the t-shirt and pants.

"Is she dead?" Austin asked. He wielded a stick in his hand, moving it towards the motionless woman.

"Austin, don't poke her with a stick!" Claire scolded.

" I'm not gonna poke her with my fingers," he retorted, wiping a bit of the caked on blood off of his nose. " I happen to like them."

"Guys! She's moving," Arryn pointed out.

The woman let out a low groan.

Arryn felt her heart stop. Had the woman turned into one of the rabids? Did I lead my  friends into danger?

"Ma'am, my name is Claire. Can you speak?" Claire leaned down towards the woman. Austin acted fast, rushing in front of Claire acting as a shield.

"Are you trying to get yourself bitten?" he asked in disbelief. His fingers gripped tightly around the stick aimed at the woman's head.

"Look at her eyes. They're normal," Claire said.

Sure enough, dark brown eyes blinked back at the trio.

"Wh-who are you people?" The woman's voice sounded like she had smoked all her life.

"My name is Claire." She leaned down, breaking free from Austin's protection. "My friends and I are here to help you. What's your name?"

The woman took a second studying the three of them. She rose to a sitting position, accepting the canteen of water that Claire offered. "My name is Savannah Marks."

Claire took the canteen back from the woman. " What are you doing out here all alone? Are you part of a larger group?"

Savannah chuckled, transitioning quickly into a rigorous coughing fit. She took the water back from Claire and eased the irritation in her throat. Her dirt covered hand wiped away the excess water from her chapped lips.

"My group threw me out because they thought I was too weak to support them any longer. They threatened me with this." She moved her pant leg up to find a large X carved into her skin. The skin looked heavily inflamed and a green pus dripped from the corners.

Claire let out a gasp. Arryn felt her stomach drop.

Is this really what the world has come to? Casting out people like leppers just because they weren't as strong as the others.

"Where was your group stationed?" Austin asked.

"About thirty miles from here. They took over the shopping mall in Bolton."

"How did you make it this far?" Austin questioned further. It seemed Claire's speech hadn't scared all the skepticism out of him.

"I hotwired a car after I was thrown from the mall amidst a horde of rabids. I drove until the gas ran out. Of course, I would hotwire the only person who forgot to fill up their stupid car. I avoided the main hordes by sticking to the woods. The smaller groups of squirrels and raccoons were easy enough to handle with lucky." She patted her knife holster, sitting on her waist, proudly. "It wasn't until I stumbled across the rabid bear that I thought I was a goner. I barely escaped."

"How did you escape?" Arryn found herself asking in disbelief.

"Just as the beast noticed me, a crazed moose came rushing into the clearing. The bear attacked the moose, giving me time to run away." A tear slipped down her cheek as her body shuddered.

"It sounds like you have been through a lot. We can provide you with shelter and medicine until you feel like you need to go on, or you are more than welcome to stay with us permanently. Either way, let us get you some help," Claire said, offering her a hand.

The woman looked at the outstretched hand for a moment as if she was shocked by the invitation. "I'd very much like that," she said, taking the open hand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.7K 1K 28
Katelynn Forester doesn't trust anybody after she lived a life of torment inside The Facility. Experimented on for years until she unknowingly releas...
11.7K 834 27
Natalie will have a lot of choices to make, to help strangers or to walk away? She is thrown into many different situations she's not sure she's rea...
3.3K 347 25
Z-Virus Book 1 It was the second week of July, the first day of school when a plague has started to spread inside Cester High, a private school locat...
335 13 5
Chaos. Complete and utter chaos. People were crying and screaming. And I? I was running for my god damned life. --------- When Raven comes home from...