A Summer's Secret

By _cynical

Secrets come with a price. Asia Cassidy is about to learn that secrets aren't free (and are not that easy t... More

EPIGRAPH
Prologue
☼Chapter 1 [[THE SECRET]]
☼Chapter 2
☼Chapter 3
☼Chapter 4
☼Chapter 5
☼Chapter 6
☼Chapter 7
☼Chapter 8
☼Chapter 9
☼Chapter 10
☼Chapter 11
☼Chapter 12
☼Chapter 13 [[ THE TRUTH ]]
☼Chapter 14
☼Chapter 15
☼Chapter 16
☼Chapter 17
☼Chapter 18
☼Chapter 19
☼Chapter 21
☼Chapter 22
☼Chapter 23
☼Chapter 24
☼Chapter 25
☼Chapter 26
☼Chapter 27
☼Chapter 28
☼Chapter 29
☼Chapter 30
☼Chapter 31
☼Chapter 32
☼Chapter 33 [The Revelation]
☼Chapter 34
☼Chapter 35
☼Chapter 36
Epilogue
Bonus

☼Chapter 20

3K 165 2
By _cynical

20.

                            I was all smiles the whole week ever since Emerald gave me the memory box. I read Aiden’s notes every day before going to bed and reread the same note I read the morning when I wake up. London, Sam and Cade noticed my more cheerful than usual demeanor and so they came to a conclusion that I must be ‘in love’. I scoffed them off but I didn’t tell them they were wrong at the same time.

People from my school kept complimenting me about my blooming state or glowing face or whatever. Even my ‘usually bitchy to others but kind to me neighbor’, Patrice Sinclair, thought I was glowing.

“ So tell me, who is the new guy?” Patrice asked me while we were in line one lunch time.

“What new guy?” I asked her and my smile was wider than usual. I could just smack myself from not being able to contain it.

“Is he cute? Cuter than Aiden Walker?” Patrice prodded as she swooned while mentioning Aiden’s name.

I willed myself not to roll my eyes as that would give me away. I rolled my eyes anyway.

“Oh my God, like O-M to the G,” Patrice reacted too much as she started fanning her face with her hand.

“I didn’t say anything,” I replied as I hurriedly dashed away from her once I got food on my tray.

“Asia, Asia Cassidy I’m still talking to you!” Patrice said as she stalked after me.

I sat on our usual table and I prayed to all heavens that Claude Augustus Cassidy would sit with me today instead.

Patrice craned her neck trying to look for me and yeah, she locked eyes with me. I thought I was gonna die with embarrassment. I didn’t want to talk to Patrice about this. Patrice isn’t the gossiping type but still I’d rather stay away from girls like her.

Patrice was about to walk towards my table but then a tall figure towered right in front of me and I was eye-level with his abdomen. Dark blue shirt, I looked up, my heart skipped a beat, but the guy I was looking at doesn’t have to know that.

“Hi,” he said, inviting himself to sit on my table.

‘Conceal, conceal, lock away the feelings,’ I thought.

“Hey there,” I replied with a casual smile, hopefully.

I glanced down, away from Aiden’s face as I took my phone and texted Emerald.

“Girl where are you? I’m alone with Aiden Walker, wanna save me?  :((((((- A“

Not a second later I got Emerald’s reply, “I don’t think you need any saving from that, and I can’t be with you today. Stupid Dahlia Pickett signed me up for the upcoming play and we’re having overtime practices. I wanna eat lunch! Come save me!- E”

I looked at Aiden Walker once again."What are you doing here?”

From behind him Patrice gave me a wink and placed her index finger over her lips. I sighed in relief, at least she promised to keep her mouth shut before turning around and heading towards another table where her other bitchy friends sat.

“I just thought you wanted someone to eat lunch with. Do you want me to leave?” He replied in a mocking hurt tone, I’ve grown to adore.

“Whatever, you can stay,” I replied with a shrug, without looking at him as I poked a meatball with my fork before bringing it to my mouth. I watched Aiden silently. He was reading a book-Charles Dickens.

“Did you know that this book is unfinished? They never knew who the murderer was,” Aiden said as he glanced away from his book, catching me off guard. He knew I was watching him.

“Interesting,” I tried to reply in a bored tone as I swallowed a meatball, “you know what, you are such a nerd that must be why I-“ I stopped midsentence, realizing what I was about to say. ‘That must be why I’ve fallen for you before,’ I shivered at the thought.

“That must be why you what?” Aiden replied, more interested on my almost slip than his book now.

I gathered my strength before I looked up to him with a smirk, “that must be why I’ve always thought of you as a nuance.”

He clutched his shirt, where his heart was supposed to be and faked hurt, “ouch Asia, I thought we were good now ever since we’ve ki-”

I stood up from my seat unceremoniously, causing the chair to screech, making that annoying sound as it got dragged backwards when I stood, causing the whole cafeteria to glance at our direction as I leaned towards Aiden and covered my hand on his ever talkative mouth.

"I told you, it wasn't a kiss," I said through gritted teeth.

Aiden gently pulled my hand away from his mouth and smiled. "Okay if that's what makes you happy."

“I hate you, like so so much,” I whispered to him, still leaning awkwardly with his hand still holding mine.

Aiden gave me a mischievous wink as he pulled my wrist. "But you know I feel otherwise,” he said with a smile.

I took my seat and resumed eating my meatballs while Aiden went back to reading his book. I continued to study him, with his nose burrowed in that unfinished novel.

I knew he was aware of me looking at him. He didn’t call me on that though and I was glad because this time I was paying more attention to my thoughts.

Aiden Theodore Walker will forever be a mystery, unless I get those memories back.  I inhaled deeply, hoping that I would remember, not just for him but for me as well.

~

                I decided to make a trip to my doctor, the one who took care of my medications and such during the accident. My brother was so kind enough to accompany me to the doctor; he even skipped practice just so he could come with me.

"Asia, I'll come with you," he said.

"How supportive of you," I replied.

"It's the least I could do, after everything."

His last reply sounded off. After everything? Did he mean after everything that happened to our family? Because yeah after everything that happened, I just want a trusted loved one to be by my side right now. I'm glad he's coming.

And also I wanted to ask him about the memory box.

“Where’d you find that interesting little box?” I asked him as we made a quick halt at the sight of the red traffic light.

Claude looked at me with mischief etched on his pretty face, “did Emerald tell you I dug it out of our yard?”

“I knew it was a lie.”

Claude laughed at this as he patted my back in comfort, “there there twin sister, the origin of that ever humiliatingly lovey-dovey box will forever remain a secret.”

I punched his arm just as the ‘go’ sign went on, “tell me Claude Augustus, or so help me you’ll be having amnesia even before we’ve reached the doctor.”

“Alright already,” Claude said raising both his hands in surrender, “it’s been sitting in Ems room for a long time now and then she really got guilty about hiding it from you so she gave it to me.”

“What did you do with the box?”

“Of course I didn’t take it, jesus imagine if someone saw that box in my possession,” Claude cringed as he said it, “I told Emerald to give it to you and then she freaked out, so I told her to tell you that I dug it from our yard. I assured her that you won’t get mad at her for that though.”

I shook my head, of course my crazy twin brother would want the box to have that more interesting feel, “nope, I’m not mad at her, I’m not mad at you too,” Claude’s expression lightened up at my words.

“Although I wished you really dug it out from our yard. That would be totally cool, me burying it like treasure and then you taking it out like some pro treasure hunter,” I added just to make my brother smile.

“I know right,” he replied as he nodded his head, probably imagining the scene in his head.

“It’s okay, when somebody asks I’m gonna tell them that my brother dug it out from our yard,” I said to him with a wink.

“That’s why you’re my favorite twin sister.”

“Claude,” I said with a chuckle, “it’s not like you have any other options.”

                     My neurologist Doctor Cynthia Martin was thankfully free that afternoon, sitting in her office with a mug of coffee at her shoulder. She smiled when she saw me and welcomed me inside. It’s been a long time since I’ve been here, and the last time I’ve been here? I was told that I remembered everything. Apparently my super influential lawyer father made my doctor lie to me as well.

“Ms. Asia Cassidy, it’s nice to see you. To what do I owe you this visit?” She said in that perfectly practiced doctor voice, but still I’ve got a feeling that she’s nervous because she knows that I know that I’ve been lied to.

“Hey doctor,” I said as I politely took the seat in front of her, “I just want to talk about my erm, amnesia.”

Doctor Martin took of her eyeglasses and placed it beside her coffee mug, “I assume you remembered something from the past?”

I shook my head, “no doctor. I was told that I remembered everything and then I discovered just recently that there is something I wasn’t able to recall.”

I could see that the doctor was thinking, she lied to a patient, her career could be at stake. I knew dealing with people like my father was hard so I really couldn't blame her. All I'm wishing for is that she would feel guilty enough to concede into helping me. And besides I wouldn't ask her for a free operation, I just want her to answer a few questions.

Doctor Martin took a sip from her coffee before answering me, “ahh, your father was persistent. He even tried blackmail. I’m sure you understand?”

I sighed, disappointed at my father once again, “sure, but I need your help, it’s the least you could do for taking part in this lie.”

Doctor Martin made a short high-pitched laugh, “another blackmail?”

“Only if you see it that way,” I answered. I knew this was a long shot but I was desperate enough to go seek a doctor. I made a wish that hopefully Doctor Martin would take pity on me and help me.

“Alright, what do I have to do?” She answered and then hope sparks within me.

“First, I really want to know about my amnesia and if there is still a chance that I could remember the memories I have so unfortunately forgotten.” 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 53.9K 38
"Let's get rid of this," he releases my hair letting it fall freely His hot heavy breath lingers on my lips and sends shivers down my back. I see him...
32K 2K 53
"I would scream but I have a headache from crying my eyes out in the bathroom. You have twenty seconds to explain why you broke into my house before...
130K 3.7K 37
Sofia is an ordinary girl, trying to live her life as normally as possible. Being a teen in high school isn't easy for her. Especially finding her pl...