The Assassin's Wife

By honeyasher

"W-what the heck is that in your hand?!" I whispered in shock, backing myself against the wall. Axel looked... More

Coming Soon
Prologue
Chapter One - The Calm Before The Storm
Chapter Two - The Men At The Door
Chapter Three - The Unanswered Questions
Chapter Four - The Runaway From Home
Chapter Five - The Explanation
Chapter Six - The Slow Acceptance

Chapter Seven - The Attempt Break In

1.2K 58 21
By honeyasher

Chapter Seven - The Attempt Break In

All Rights Reserved

The sound of abrupt movements pulled me from my sleep, and my brown eyes fluttered open to look around the dark room. My eyes blinked at the darkness, slowly trying to focus on the movement.

I noticed a white-clothed figure stalking around the room with the gentle furiousness of a panther. I lay still as I watched Axel walk into the closet and pulled out two black cases. I almost shivered at the idea of what could be inside.

Maybe it was a trumpet.

I wished it was a trumpet.

I knew it wasn't a trumpet.

Axel walked around the room with expertise and muted steps as to not make any sound. Normally, I would go into a whole other realm when sleeping and not even an earthquake would wake me up, but because recent events I've found that sleeping lightly may perhaps save my life.

Or allow me to watch my husband prowl around the room.

His front shirt was unbuttoned as he knelt down to the cases and unlocked them. He opened it and pulled out a sleek silver gun, which he pressed to his lips before putting it to the side.

Should I be worried?

Or jealous?

Watching him hold a gun seemed almost normal now, and I hated that it was. Suddenly, Axel was standing up and walking toward the table beside the window. There was a small screen that was connected to the video camera outside, and I watched as he bent down to take a closer look.

He abruptly stood up and looked back over at me. I don't know if he knew I was awake or not but I immediately tensed and closed my eyes shut.

"Blaire, I know you're awake," Axel said, moving from his spot beside the window. I slowly sat up and watched as he made his way toward the closet in a hurried pace. He came out with a black hoodie and my pair of flats,

"W-What's going on?" My voice groggy and deep.

Ugh, why must I sound like a man when waking up?

Though, sometimes I have no complaints cause sometimes I sound like John Legend. Everybody else in my family disagrees but I know they're just haters.

Axel pulled the covers off me, and my body immediately erupted in goosebumps. I was only sleeping in a small red tank top and black leggings. Axel pulled his large black hoodie over my body, and I was immediately engulfed in his expensive smell.

"Axel?" I asked again, hoping to receive an answer this time.

"I don't want to scare you, but there are people outside of our house and they don't happen to be visiting neighbors."

"Are we going to die?" I asked, my fear spiking up at a high level and my shoulders began to shake.

"Darling, please. You're insulting my skills," Axel said, kissing my forehead before pulling me off the bed. "I've thought of every possible plan they might have thought of. We'll be fine."

Well, then. Guess I shouldn't worry, huh?

My flats were already peeling off from the earlier walk. Hmph, I definitely won't be shopping at Forever 21 again.

That's a lie.

My cheap tush gravitates to anything that's under twenty bucks.

Axel released me and had already strapped in his guns to his sides, and pulled a jacket over his strong shoulders. He closed the cases hurriedly before grabbing a backpack and hauling it over his shoulder. I put on my flats and watched him close the doors of the closet.

He grabbed my hand and walked out the door. I looked back one more time at the cozy room, wondering if I'd ever see it again.

"What about the rest of our stuff?" I asked as we made our way down the stairs.

"I took what we needed," he simply replied, and I nodded. We originally didn't have that much, to begin with, but I guess Axel wanted a lighter load. The house was dark, and the only sound you could hear was the night critters outside. I wondered briefly when they would attack and what would we do if they did.

They didn't want to kill us, right?

Just possibly capture us in order to get the reward?

Instead of making our way to the front door, Axel led me toward the back of the kitchen. He opened the door to what looked to be a pantry but turned out not to be a pantry. There was a set of stairs leading to even more darkness.

"Normal people have pantries stocked with nice things like pop tarts. Instead, we're graced with what? Stairs?" I grumbled to myself, my small commentary making me feel better about the situation.

This all didn't seem real.

Axel and I were on the run from assassin groups.

I was probably going to lose my job.

And, I haven't had a single skittle in over fifteen hours.

We walked down the creaky steps and I almost jumped at the heavy thud that came from above. Axel had closed the door after him, so it was pitch black in here, but I could hear the faint sounds of footsteps walking above us. They were inside the house.

I pressed myself closer to Axel, who let go of my hand just to wrap his arm around my waist. He somehow navigated us through the dark toward the end of the room. He stopped us shortly in front of a window that rested four feet above our heads.

"How are we going to get out of here-" I began to whisper just as Axel lifted me up.

Oh, that's how.

I unlocked the latch on the window and pushed it open, the cold breeze nipping at my nose. I was pretty warm because of the hoodie but I knew my feet were going to freeze. I pulled myself out of the window and onto the dewy grass. I could feel my heart thudding against my chest as I rolled onto my knees.

Would they hear us?

I turned back to help Axel just to see him already pulling himself out, his arm muscles were tight against his jacket. I wasn't even going to question how he managed to get out.

Training in Germany must have given him superpowers.

Axel stood up onto his feet, his body tense. He grabbed my arm and hauled me up before we began to walk deeper into the forest. The moon was still up in the sky but I could tell that it was going to be dawn soon.

My eyes were slowly adjusting to the darkness of the woods and Axel maneuvered us around the trees at a quick pace. I looked back for split second and could see white light flashing from the inside of the house.

Axel sped up our pace as if he could tell that they had just searched the house and couldn't find us. I could have imagined it, but I thought I heard the faint sounds of thudding footsteps behind us.

I hoped I was just hearing things.

Suddenly, Axel pulled me to his chest, and in a flash, I saw the glint of metal as he pulled out his gun from one of his straps. His arm was around my head in a matter of seconds, and his hand covered my ear, just as the sound of a gun set off.

Even though my ears were covered, the shot rang in my head like a bell.

My body froze in fear, and my brain was just trying to catch up with quick paced action. The sound of someone hitting the floor reached my ears after Axel moved his hand away, and I was glad that I couldn't see what...or who it was.

Just as quickly as it happened, it was over.

Axel grabbed my hand quickly and we ran down the path. I was too afraid to look back again and my lips trembled as the sound of the gunshot replayed over and over again.

Did Axel just kill someone?

I breathed heavily as I looked at our connected hands, his large one that enveloped mine and kept warm. Did the hands that held me so lovingly before caused the end of someone else's life.

I felt like vomiting.

Soon, we reached the end of the woods and fortunately, nobody else had followed after us. There was a dark green lagoon colored jeep with big wheels waiting for us in the parking lot, surrounded by many trees. The car beeped, its car lights lighting up yellow to indicate that it was unlocked. Axel pulled the back seat door open and threw the backpack in.

I walked around the other side and pulled the door open, the new car smell wafting my nose. It smelt of Axel and green mint, which was absolutely divine. I took off my shoes immediately and grimaced at the small cuts on my foot from the sharp branches.

Axel immediately started up the engine and reversed out of the grassy area. He placed his hand on the passenger seat headrest, before speeding down the pathway. I hastily put on my seatbelt and held onto the handle above my head.

I wanted to ask him to slow down, but my mouth was glued shut and my breathing came out in heavy gasps. I concentrated on breathing, hoping to calm down. After some time, we finally made it to a road where a few cars drove by.

The sun was slowly beginning to peak in, and I couldn't help but look at the mirror, wondering if there was anybody following us.

When I felt something touch my hand, I jerked away, my eyes snapping to Axel's, who looked at me for a brief second with a sad expression. He turned back to the road and slowed down his driving.

Regret tangled up with heartstrings, I wanted to reach out to touch Axel, but the sound of the gunshot kept ringing in my head.

Axel shot a gun at someone.

Axel could have murdered someone.

Axel was a murderer.

All these dark thoughts swirled in my head, and I could feel myself wanting to vomit. My thoughts were running faster than I ever could. Another small thought crept into my head, making almost everything okay.

Axel was trying to protect us.

The more I thought about it, the more it seemed somewhat okay.

So okay that I reached for his hand and intertwined it with my own. Axel turned to look at me, and I gave him a small smile. I almost didn't catch the look of relief that filled his face before he turned back to look ahead.

He was afraid that I'd judge him harshly for his violent actions.

I wasn't even thinking about his thoughts about all of this. He could be feeling even more scared than I was, or even angry that this was happening to him. I neglected Axel's feelings and that wasn't okay of me.

I'd try to be better.

Starting now.

Authors Note:

This is for you.

Sorry, it's short.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.3M 551K 65
"Hey there beautiful, wanna go out sometime?" He asked with a slight smirk. "With you?" I asked in a sweet voice. "Sure thing baby girl" He replied. ...
1.1M 18.1K 59
NOT A GODDAMN REVERSE HAREM! (nor is it a mafia story smh) He lightly shook his head and pressed his lips together, then, all his worry fled, leavi...
524 19 15
"Go ahead, but Rose..." He starts to whisper and I swear there was probably a sparkle in my eyes as I cover my mouth to muffle my giggle. I grab one...
1M 24.4K 26
MxMxFxMxM "It's okay to quit, mami." Elliot whispered in my ear. Shivers shot down my back as I felt him move around me. I stared ahead, my heart bea...