The Ruka Wild ↠ Book 3 > A:TL...

By xdistantwords

( third book in The Ruka Wild series ) Heartbroken and alone, Ruka is sent to the Boiling Rock where she face... More

Extended Summary
00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35

09

21.1K 773 287
By xdistantwords

Ruka (3)

It was time.

Iroh told me to back away as he stood up. In only a matter of seconds, he blew out fire from his mouth at the bars then kicked them open. They flew out, creating a hole in the cell letting us escape. While we jump out, two Fire Nation guards come running in.

Without even trying, Iroh took the both of them out. They fell to the floor, unconscious. Once we were outside of the room, we pull each other in for a quick hug.

"I wish you safety, Ruka."

"Good luck, Iroh."

We go in different directions. All Iroh had told me was to find the people I trust the most to leave with. But he didn't tell me who they were. Iroh wanted me to figure it out for myself, which frustrated me but it is what it is.

"You!"

A guard much bigger than I was stopped right in front of me. I wait for him to attack first, and when he does, I dodge it. I put my hands out and when I had control of him, I throw him to the sides of the walls.

He watches me in horror as I continue running. 

I only had to blood bend a couple more people because when the Eclipse started, no one gave me a hard time.

I was probably running for five minutes in different directions. I couldn't find anyone who I remotely trusted. A small voice in my head told me to just give up and leave on my own. But curiosity killed the penguin. Keep going.

"Where's Ruka!?" I stop in my tracks. I concentrate on the voice and where it's coming from. "Answer me!"

"Sokka," I couldn't control the smile that formed on my lips. "Sokka," I run faster than I ever could. I was afraid I'd lose him.

"Where are you keeping her!?"

I'm close. I'm so, so close. Keep going. Keep going.

I stop when I see Azula against the wall. Sokka was in her face, angry as ever. Behind him stood one of the girls that was with them the day Iroh got hit. My eyes averted to the bald monk standing confidently.

Aang.

I widened my eyes, "You're alive!"

They all turn to me.

A wide grin was plastered on Sokka's face as we ran to each other. I wrap my arms his neck and he twirls me around. When I pull away, I examine him. His undercut had grown out and he was wearing our Tribe's Warrior uniform. "You look good, brother."

I look behind him at Aang. He was in a different outfit than the last I'd seen him. Though he may not look it so much, he matured greatly.

Tears begin to form in my eyes when I touch his shoulder. I lightly laugh, "You're really alive. I-I thought you-"

Aang nodded, "I know."

A loud explosion was heard and we snap our heads in that direction. Azula smirks, "Oh, sounds like the Fire Bending's back on." She kicks out a stream of fire then blasts us with another.

Before it could hit Sokka, the girl pushes him out of the way. Azula breaks out of her restraints that held her wrists against the wall then swiftly jumps down.

Just as I was about to blood bend her, her devious smile made me lower my hands. "Dad's all the way at the end of the hall then down a secret stairway on the left. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to see you now." She runs off in the opposite direction.

"I fell for it! I used up all our time." Sokka frowns.

"It's not your fault, Sokka!" The girl reassured him. "Azula was ready for us. She had every move planned out. And Ruka found us, which is a good thing."

Sokka looks down, "It's too late though."

"Maybe it's not too late. The Eclipse is over, but I can face the Fire Lord anyway." Aang used a determined tone.

"No. I don't think that's a good idea." Sokka replies.

"But I'm ready! I came here with a job to do, and everyone's counting on me!"

"The Fire Lord knew we were coming this time. We thought we had surprise on our side, but we didn't. It just wasn't our day. What we need to do now is go help our friends." The girl persuaded.

Aang looks down in distraught. "I guess you guys are right."

Sokka puts his hand on Aang's shoulder, "You'll have another chance. I know you will."

>>>

We leave outside of the volcano - I had no idea we were even in - and flew on Appa. I was impressed by his top-notch armor, but we didn't have the time for me stand there and compliment him.

Appa lands down on the battle site and we hop off. Fleets of hot air balloons and zeppelins come into view from behind the palace.

"It was a trap!" Sokka explains while he hops off of Appa. "Azula knew we were coming and she's plotted out every move. We just got to get to the beach as fast as we can. If we can make it to the submarines, maybe we can get away safely."

I had to take my time to get off of Appa. One, it's been awhile, and two, I didn't want to get dizzy when I landed on my feet. I really need to get back into shape.

I cock a brow at Sokka. The other girl from the same day had her arms wrapped tightly around him. She grabbed his face and pecked his lips. I tried not make a face. Not because of her, but because I had never seen my own brother kiss anyone.

"Ruka!"

When I realize who's arms were around me, I hug them back. "Hi Katara."

"You were here this whole time?!" She asks, her voice getting high. I shake my head, "It's a long story and I'll get into it later. Right now we have to figure out..." I trail off when a man slowly starts to walk over to me, a weary smile on his face. "My daughter."

"They've got air power, but so do I!" Aang whips out his glider. "I'm going to do what I can to slow them down!"

I don't even watch him and Katara leave; herself on Appa. I practically choked on my spit when I felt the warmth of my father on my skin. He was wearing the same uniform as Sokka. I look up at him, my arms still around him. "I can't believe it..." I put my hand on his cheek.

He holds my hand with his, "I'm right here."

I whimper as I hug him again. When he hisses in pain, I pull away with my brows furrowed. "What's wrong?"

"I was wounded from a failed sneak attack earlier." My father removes his hand away from his said wound and I inspect it. It looked like Katara already attempted to heal it.

My father looks down at me with sad eyes. "What did they do to my daughter in that prison?" He picks up a piece of my hair that now reached over my breasts. "And you cut your hair. It took you years for it to grow."

"You miss a lot when you're gone for three years." I didn't mean for that to come out the way it did.

>>>

We all walked to the beach. My father's arm was around me as helped him walk.

I didn't have time to greet the other people one-by-one or introduce myself to those I didn't know. Plus, I don't even think the ones who know me recognized me.

I was only able to speak with Bato just for a second.

Zeppelins emerge from behind the mountains. Before they could fly above us, Sokka said to take cover for we might see some bombs.

The smaller girl of the Earth Kingdom duo covered us with a large pillar of rock from the side of the mountains. My father hunched over me as bombs came crashing down over us.

We walk out from under the pillar and watch the zeppelins continue on without a fight.

"Why aren't they turning around to attack us again?" Katara asked.

"They're headed for the beach." When Aang realized why, he widened his eyes. "They're gonna destroy the submarines!"

Sokka looked down with a frown. He seemed worn out - not knowing what to do next. "How are we all gonna escape?"

"We're not." My father interjects.

Sokka turns around, hitting his fist in his hand. "Then our only choice is to stand and fight. We have the Avatar, we could still win."

"Yes, with the Avatar, we could still win on another day. You kids have to leave. You have to escape on Appa together."

"We can't leave you behind! We won't leave anyone behind!" Katara exclaimed.

I urge him more, "I didn't even know you were alive until now! There has to be another way, dad!"

"There isn't. You're our only chance in the long run. You three have to go with Aang somewhere safe. It's the only way to keep hope alive."

"The youngest of our group should go with you. The adults will stay behind and surrender." Bato said. "We'll be prisoners, but we'll all survive this battle."

Tyro stepped forward, "I've got some experience with the Fire Nation prisons."

I huff, "So do I. If we stay and fight, we can-"

"Ruka, please." My father cuts me off. "Try to understand."

"Understand what?!" I scoff. "That you want to leave us again? Three years weren't enough for you, dad!?"

"I am not going to argue with you about this right now." He scolded me. "This is what has to be done - cut it out."

Tyro places his hand on my shoulder. I turn around to face him. "I know it won't be easy. But we'll get by, don't worry."

"They're at the beach already!" Sokka announced.

We watch in distress as the bombs from the zeppelins destroy the submarines.

We say our goodbyes to everyone. Mine was a little cold toward my father and he wasn't going to let me leave that way.

"We are not parting ways like this again, Ruka." He kneels down to my height level. He places both of his hands on my shoulders. His voice soft as he spoke, "You are my caring, independent, strong-minded daughter. We will not be apart for long."

"I love you, dad."

"I love you too."

Once everyone was on Appa, Aang stands up to say his farewell to the adults. "Thank you all for being so brave and so strong! I'm gonna make this up to you!"

Once we were off in the sky, Aang informed us that we will be heading to the Western Air Temple. I sat with my knees up to my chest. I slightly jumped when I felt a hand atop of my knee. "Ruka," Haru was looking at me with a small smile.

"It's nice to see you again."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 30.3K 50
(Y/n) has had a hard life. Her mother was killed, father went to war, and had to protect her twin brother and little sister Sokka and Katara for as l...
272K 6.8K 36
Kya, Sokka's twin, and Kataras's older sister. She holds a cold glare to everyone around her, often being misunderstood. She sensitive but holds a f...
6.1K 219 8
❪ DAUGHTER OF WAR ❫ ──── ❝You must not fear. Fear is a mind killer.❞ Her heart burns with a fierce desire for the banished prince to kneel before her...
25.1K 875 28
WATCH THE INFERNO BURN ❝ she was going to extinguish the fire nation's destructive flames. ❞ zuko x yan qiang [oc] avatar: the last airbender : book...