The Luna Amongst Alphas (REWR...

By Timmarica

Zara Denver's a young 90-year-old werewolf finds that she must follow her fathers' footsteps in leading the s... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: The Alpha's Death
Chapter 2: Days From Mourning
Chapter 3: A Challenge
Chapter 4: No Mercy
Chapter 5: Ashes
Chapter 6: The Weak Are Strong
Chapter 7: Alpha Who?
Chapter 8: The Snake Bites
Chapter 9: Blood of the Alpha
Chapter 10: A Promise
Chapter 11: Trials With a Missing Devil
Chapter 12: Love at First Sight?
Chapter 13: Broken Pieces
Chapter 14: Silent Tears
Chapter 15: The Gathering
Chapter 17: Crescent Moon
Chapter 18: Pups
Chapter 19: The Absent Son
Chapter 20: Trust In a Prisoner

Chapter 16: One Dance

14 2 0
By Timmarica

"That was quite a show, Luna," Trisha sat on the bed waiting for me to put on my black heels, that laced around my ankles.

"I had to make sure no one thought this pack has become vulnerable, in any way."

"I know, I just didn't expect it," she looked at me concerned. "You said you think Alpha Helsin is on the plot to kill you? Do you think he still is after knowing you're his mate?"

"I know he is. I rejected him, Trisha." I stood up, feeling accomplished that I had gotten my heels on. It was a long day and I had a feeling it would be a long night.

"I'm sorry Luna, Zara. I can't even imagine what you must feel," she replied sympathetically.

"It doesn't matter what I feel, it only matters that I lead and protect this pack. Shall we go?"

"Of course, Luna," she immediately jumped up and we headed out to the ballroom.

The ballroom was pretty empty when we arrived. We were early to make sure everything was in order. There was the dance floor, lit gracefully with chandeliers with violinists awaiting for guests to arrive. Tables outlined the dance floor, some empty for guests to seat and others had food and beverages offered. We lived in a new age, but we still held tradition from the old days.

"Don't you remember when we use to sneak out of here to go to the city? When we thought dance clubs were fun and this ball dance was boring?" Trisha remarked with a grin, remembering the old days when we rebelled against the traditions.  My father always said we were trouble.

"Those were good times," I smiled, my thoughts far off. I grabbed some Moose meat from one of the dishes out on the table, the meat tasted gamey with fresh herbs. I hadn't eaten all day, I realized as I savored the food.

"I think these dances are more romantic though," Trisha continued as she got herself a glass of red wine.

"I agree, people are all about lust at the nightclub and the creepy vampires, yuck."

"What's yuck?" Jack came up to join us, curious about our conversation.

"You're yuck," Trisha teased him, giggling. Jack's cheeks turned pink, she made him blush as he stood there taken back by her comment.

"Luna, Zara," Luis came up to me calmly, his icy blue eyes sent chills down my spine. The guy always put me on edge, making my hair stand on end.

"Luis."

"Is everything to your liking?" He asked, gesturing to the ballroom set up. I noticed Annabelle was walking back in with deserts to set up at the next table to the dinner food. 

"It is, Luis. You, Annabelle, and Trisha did a wonderful job, I appreciate it," I smiled.

"Thank you, Luna. Is there anything else I can do for you?" I was surprised by how respectful Luis was being, he usually hated to acknowledge me.

"That is all Luis. Please enjoy yourself," I replied. He bowed and wandered off to Annabelle.

"He seemed to have gotten much nicer," Trisha commented.

"I agree," I couldn't help but find it suspicious. However, everything was making me paranoid right now. I set my food on an empty table and sat down.

The rest of the musicians had arrived and people were slowly trickling in. The ball dance didn't have any announcements, people arrived after a certain time and simply enjoyed themselves. The purpose mostly was to be a good host and to have mates find each other. What pack they chose to side with was up to them, but most preferred staying in the stronger pack of the two.

"Oh, how I can't wait to find my mate. I can hope it's soon," Trisha sat beside me sighing as she set her chin on her hand. It was obvious many had found their mates and wanted a romantic night. People were happily eating, laughing, and as the music began, they began to slowly fill up the dance floor.

"A pretty girl like you, you'll find him soon enough," Jack grinned as he stood beside us, watching the crowd grow.

"Jack, are you flirting?" I smirked, I noticed he took a liking to Trisha. He immediately began blushing. "Look at those cheeks, just about the color of roses," I made him blush even more.

"You're adorable," Trisha giggled. Jack grinned at the compliment. I shook my head at their behavior, they somehow could find the light in a dark day.

"May I take this dance?" I heard a familiar accent ask. I turned around to so Alpha Castaneda, which surprised me.

"I thought you couldn't bear the thought of me," I retorted.

"What can I say, after that announcement. I am intrigued," he smirked. Offering his hand out to me. I glanced around briefly, and my eyes laid on the sight of Alpha Helsin dancing with a beautiful redhead. Of course. I knew it would be rude to deny Alpha Castenada the dance, so I reluctantly took his hand. Of all Alphas, I would've suspected he wanted me dead, but I couldn't tell who was on my side and who wasn't.

"There's something about you, that makes you a very different type of Luna," he said as spun me out and back. One hand laid on my lower back while the other held my hand. His touch was warm, but it made me want to crawl out of my skin. The guy simply disgusted me.

"What is it?" I replied, avoiding getting to close to him. His dark brown eyes gleaming with satisfaction.

"My darling, it's your strength. Your lack of empathy. You have no mercy. You're fierce," he exaggerated as we gracefully danced in a rhythmic pattern. He spun me out and pulled my back, and leaned to kiss me. My heartbeat picked up rapidly as I stepped back, instinctively slapping him. The sound was muffled out by the music. I tried to pull away but he kept a tight grip on my hand.

"You bitch," He snapped angrily.

"Let her go," I heard an angry growl behind me, it was such a fierce growl it sent chills down my spine. I glanced over my shoulder to see who it was. Alpha Helsin's green eyes were bloodshot, anger pulsing through every muscle. His fists clenched to his sides, ready to attack. The redhead stood beside him with a pained expression, glaring at me.

I yanked my hand away from Alpha Casteneda, he stepped forward trying to tower over me.

"You're weak," I spat, "you can't even control your anger."

"You don't know anything about me," he growled, his dark eyes piercing through my soul.

"I know your mother didn't teach you manners," I snapped. Alpha Gabin stepped between use, preventing things from becoming more heated. His lean body wasn't able to completely block out Alpha Castendas stocky one.

"I think a walk will help you come down, yeah?" Alpha Gabin said politely to Alpha Casteneda who reluctantly walked away. Alpha Gabin was wise, he was nearly forty years old. In werewolf years that is. For every one werewolf year, that was ten human years. Mundane society thought they had long years, please. There's a reason it was so difficult for werewolves to give up traditions and adapt to modern life.

I had begun studying werewolf anatomy when I was 15 years old. In human years, that was 100 years ago. I knew one day I would teach my pack, but when it was safer. Alpha Gabin turned to look at me and Alpha Helsin.

"I think he wants a dance," Alpha Gabin gave me a wink as he glanced over at Alpha Helsin who tense, but he had calmed down.

"He's mine," the redhead snapped, Selena was it? I ignored her comment, I wasn't one for drama. I was too worn out from the day to give her my attention.

"I would love this dance," Alpha Helsin's voice was deep, alluring.

"What!" Selena gasped, "you-you said you needed time, not that you would keep pursuing her."

"Leave," he growled, his eyes never leaving me. I glanced up to find his green eyes overwhelming me. I felt trapped but in a good way. Yet, I wanted to hate him so much.

"No. I can't dance with you," I said flatly. Alpha Helsin kneeled down on his knee, causing everyone to turn their heads and the music to stop. My heart was beating so fast, I hated being the center of attention. I hated that he got down on his knee. My stomach flipped with nerves as my arms formed goosebumps. I was terrified.

"Luna, Zara." he started, making me swallow hard. I tried my best to look calm and relaxed, but on the inside, I was screaming. "I promise you," he paused, watching me carefully. I knew Alpha Helsin's rule, he was a man of his word. Once he made a promise, it was never broken. Ever. He had the reputation of a cold heart, but he kept his promises.

"Promise me what?" 

"I promise you that I did not kill your father, Alpha Denver." My heart dropped to my stomach and I felt my knees weaken. I stayed strong, holding myself together. Barely. Gasps echoed throughout the room. My head spun with questions. If he didn't kill him, then who did? How? Why? What did this mean for us?

Audience:

Hey ladies and gentlemen! What do you think?

What's going on here?

Will Zara find her fathers killer?

Is Alpha Helsin being truthful?

Hmm.

Thank you for reading! (:

xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

469 0 1
A young girl, born to lead and protect, is blessed with gifts from the Moon Goddess. With these gifts, she is destined to be the Great Luna, mate to...
1M 42.6K 33
-COMPLETED- ~3 Years BEFORE Luna Hana~ The running never bothered her - she had run her entire life. From what? Nothing in particular...at least no...
1.3M 46.4K 79
*Unedited* Emily is an 18 year old she-wolf stuck at home, hiding before heat season can hit. She is wondering about life, when a knock on the door e...
33.9K 1.5K 30
~Complete~ (This is the first time I am writing a story. I don't have any experience of writing a book but I will try my best to make less mistake an...