Quiet Summer

By demuuree

Shizuka Nara (Shikamaru's older sister) was sent on an ANBU mission with her team to help a neighboring natio... More

Arriving Home
Run in with Old Friends
Troublesome
Decision Made
Sensei
Breaking the News
Team Assigned
Meeting The Teams part I
Meeting The Teams part II
Meeting The Teams part III
The Missions
Journey to the Land of Waves
The Assassin of the Mist!
The Forest of Chakra
Battle on the Bridge
The Demon in the Snow
The Chunnin Exams Begin
The Forest of Death
Narrowing the Field
A Shadow in Darkness
Jiraya Returns
A Flower Full of Hope: Part 1
A Flower Full of Hope : Part 2
The Evil Hand Revealed
The Final Rounds
Zero Motivation

The Chunnin Exams

2.5K 67 4
By demuuree

     Today started off as any normal day would. I woke up, got ready, helped my mom make breakfast, ate and then headed off to work. None of the teams had any difficult missions today so they all called it a day almost as soon as the day had started. Seeing as today was a short shift, which doesn't come really often, I decided it was a good idea just to take a walk around the village.

     The sun shined proudly as the wind softly blew swaying the tree branches. The air held the sweet smell of the flowery season which brought a small curt smile on my lips.
     'It's such a wonderful day today! I wonder if Kurenai is busy right now...'

     Making my way through the crowded Konoha streets I kept a lookout for my raven-haired friend. Rounding the corner away from the crowd surprisingly I spotted her coming out from the direction of the training grounds.
     'She kept her team back for some light training...'

     "Hey, Kurenai!" I cheerfully exclaimed as I made my way towards her.

     "Hello, Shizuka!" Kurenai called back with a gentle smile. "How is your day so far?"

     "My day is wonderful," I replied back directing my gaze quickly to the chirping birds perched on a branch.

     "It is a pretty nice day today," Kurenai agreed as she too took note of the beautiful scenery.

"Hey, do you want to go get some-" I began only to be cut short by the sound of wings flapping against the wind.

Turning our gaze up towards the sky we spotted the Hokage's patchy patterned brown hawk circling over our heads.
'I wonder...'

"Looks like the Hokage is summoning us all," Kurenai commented as she turned her gaze back towards me. "Let's go see what's up."

Meeting her gaze I gave her a small nod before we made our way towards the Hokage's office.

------

     "I have summoned you all for a very important purpose," The Hokage announced after all the shinobi had filed into his office. "Seeing your fellow jounin here I'm sure some of you have already figured out what this is about."

     "So soon?" Kakashi questioned casually. "I thought we would have more time."

     "I take it that all the other lands have been notified about the upcoming event," Asuma pitched in with his cigar in mouth. "I've noticed some of their genins have already arrived."

     "When do we begin?" Kurenai asked from her place next to me.

     "We will begin in one week," the Hokage stated unfazed unlike the rest of us.

     "That's such a short notice..." I wearily whispered only loud enough for Kurenai to hear me. By the look on her face as well as Kakashi's, Guy's and Asuma's it seems like I wasn't the only one thinking that.

     "In exactly seven days," the Hokage began quickly after releasing another puff of smoke from his pipe, "the genin will be gathered and tested until only the very best will be selected as chunnin."

     Soon the room was filled with the buzz of whispers coming from the jounin.
     'Which teams will be recommended?'

     "Alright," the Hokage called out quieting the room, "it's time we chose our candidates for the chunnin exams. To begin will those in charge of the rookie genin step forward."

     With that being said Asuma, Kakashi, and Kurenai all made their way forward towards the Hokage.

     "Is there anyone in your squads that you would recommend to participate in the Chunnin exams?" The Hokage questioned them as they stopped a few feet from his desk.

     Kakashi, Kurenai, and Asuma to everyone's surprise, except mine, all recommended their squad for the exams. Ones again the buzz of whispered began around me grew louder and louder with each second.

     "All rookies?"
     "What?"
     "Is that even possible?"

     "What hold on just a minute!" Iruka exclaimed as he took a few steps in front of me. "Lord Hokage with all due respect the nine names that were just given were all my students at the academy. I know their skills and abilities. All of them have great skills and promise but it's too soon! They need more experience! They'll fail the exam if they try now!"

     "When I took the exams I was six years younger than what Naruto is now," Kakashi lazily pointed out as he directed his gaze towards Iruka.

     "Naruto is nothing like you!" Iruka exclaimed in outrage. "Are you trying to destroy him?"

     "Well they are always complaining about not being challenged enough," Kakashi began ones again ignoring Iruka's outburst. "Maybe wiping out in the exams will teach them a lesson. A little pain is good."

     "Alright, Kakashi I think you've said enough," Kurenai sternly commented trying to stop the scene from escalating.

     "On the contrary," Kakashi ones again began focusing his gaze only onto Iruka, "I think it's important for Iruka to realize that they aren't his students anymore. They are mine."

     "These exams will destroy them Kakashi!" Iruka ones again try to reason. "You know they will be crushed!"

     "Iruka you've made your point and I understand but Kakashi is right," the Hokage commented. "They are their sensei's now and they know how much they have grown up to this point. Shizuka you've been watching over the genin as well... what do you have to say about this matter?"

     Quickly all the attention was directed towards me where I stood frozen in place.
     "Uh-well I think that," I slowly began trying to get in my perspective only to be interrupted by Iruka.

     "Come on Shizuka!" Iruka exclaimed desperately. "Do you really want to see Shikamaru crushed out there?"

     "A little pain won't hurt anyone," Kakashi's sing-song voice broke from behind Iruka as he gave me a small close-eyed smile.

     "I'm sorry Iruka," I began with a short sigh, "but I have to trust that he's ready for the Chunnin exams. They will be more dangerous and even unplanned events in the future. At least with the Chunnin exams, they can see where they stand compared to other shinobi in different nations."

     Iruka not happy with my response directed his gaze down to the floor. "But what if they aren't ready at all? What if Naruto's dreams are crushed..." Iruka whispered only loud enough for me to hear.

     Closing my eyes for a brief second I took a deep breath before bringing my gaze up towards the Hokage ones more.
     "Lord Third," I gently began as I shot a short glance to Iruka who was looking back at me questionably, "if it's okay with you... do you think maybe you can have the genin go through a preliminary test to give Iruka some peace of mind?"

     "I think that's a wonderful idea," the Hokage praised with a smile on his face.
     'At least now both Iruka and Kakashi can be happy... hopefully.'

-----

Currently, it was late at night and the village despite its busy buzz throughout the day held almost a complete silence during the night. The stars, appearing almost like spilled glitter on a black canvas, were the main source of light to where Kakashi and I were standing on a roof. The reason why both of us were still out this late was because we had just received word that all nine rookie genin had passed their preliminary exam. Now at least we all know that they can handle themselves a bit... hopefully that's enough to get them through the whole exam.

Almost as soon as we received word of the genin passing Genma had informed Kakashi and me that Iruka wanted to talk to us. We weren't really too sure why but we had a feeling it might have something to do with his outburst earlier today...

"I think you did good today Shizuka," Kakashi concluded as he recalled the events from earlier today. "You made Iruka really happy."

"You think so? I just gave a small suggestion," I replied shrugging. "I'm sure if I wasn't the one to say it someone else would have..."

"Still...," Kakashi began insistingly as his gaze was directed towards the incoming Iruka. "You can't deny that you gave Iruka some peace of mind and all it took was a small compromise."

"I guess your right," I answered back with a small smile playing on my lips. Knowing that one of my friends had less stress placed on them brought me a warm welcoming feeling.

"You were right Kakashi," Iruka began apologetically as he landing next to us, "they all develop very impressive skills..."

"Let's just hope that's enough for the Chunnin exams," Kakashi replied nonchalantly as he looked out towards the silent village.

"I also asked to meet up with you two in order to apologize for my hostile mood earlier today," Iruka sheepishly mumbled. "I am sorry Kakashi I shouldn't have doubted your judgment. Shizuka I shouldn't have pinned you up in such an awkward position and for that, I'm also sorry."

"Don't worry about it Iruka," I comforted Iruka. "It's understandable the way you react. You just didn't want to see your students fail."

Walking up a little close to Iruka I grabbed hold of his forearm as well as Kakashi's and quickly got them into a group hug. Even as they bumped heads from the sudden pull I brought them into a headlock smiling as I did.

"Now," I began happily as let out a small giggle, "why don't we all just ignore what happened earlier today? We don't need such a sour moment ruining the happy streak of memories in our friendship!"

------

     Iruka stayed with us for just a little bit after the group hug. I insisted he stayed for a while longer so we could catch up but he waved off the idea saying that he had to teach a class tomorrow morning. Kakashi and I stayed on the roof for maybe half an hour more until we also decided to just call it a day and head back home.  We were gonna split up in an intersection earlier on in the walk seeing as we live almost on opposite ends of the village but Kakashi insisted that he had no problem waking me home.

     "Do you think Sakura will show up tomorrow?" I asked Kakashi as we walked down the lonely streets.

     "I think there is a higher chance of her showing up than no," Kakashi stated nonchalantly. "I don't think she'll want to be left behind."

     "That's true," I agreed before letting out a curt giggle. "Do you remember when I took my chunnin exams?"

     "How could I forget," Kakashi chuckled as he recalled the precious memories. "You were so nervous that you almost didn't show up on the morning of! If it wasn't for Guy and me who had to drag you there you wouldn't have gone!"

"If I remember correctly I think it was Guy who did all the heavy lifting," I pointed out as I recalled on the memories. "He's the one who actually carried me out of my house and to the testing site."

"Hey I was there for moral support," Kakashi shrugged defending himself.

     "Oh you're right," I laughed, "my bad."

     As we continued walking down the empty streets the conversation never ones died down. Every ones and a while one of us would laugh and recall another memory worth sharing.

     Kakashi was never one to really let loose. Especially not in the earlier years that I've known him. It really wasn't until recently where he finally is comfortable enough to let out a few chuckles here and there but besides that, he is still a serious guy... or at least that's what he wants others to believe. It is really when he hangs out Guy where I can see a more noticeable change in character. Even when he claims he doesn't like participating in Guy's 'shenanigans' I know he really does treasure those moments.

     "Well, I guess this is it," I quietly stated as I walked up the steps of my porch. "Thank you for walking me home."

     "No problem," Kakashi answered back with a close eyed smile.

     "Goodnight Kakashi," I bid him farewell with a small peck on the cheek which he also returned.

     "See you tomorrow Shizuka, goodnight."

     With that said Kakashi turned around and began walking down the empty streets of Konoha ones more. I stayed put leaning against my door until his silhouette got far too small to watch over.

-------
     Hello lovely readers! Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please leave me any comments or criticism I promised I won't get offended.

     Also, it's important to note that the kiss on the cheek doesn't really mean too much right now. It's just a friendly gesture. Shizuka's and Kakashi's relationship is gonna take a while to develop... I myself don't even know when I will have their emotions blossom just yet!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

239K 4.6K 58
Ranked #1 in Kakashi Stories!! Thank you so much! ❤️ Sasuke and Itachi has an older sister Keiko Uchiha who had returned to the village. After workin...
78.1K 2.1K 44
You are from the (l/n) clan a very powerful and very well respect clan well it was until it's downfall and every clan member killed in cold blood Wel...
25K 774 57
Shiori Senju, a smart and talented girl becomes the youngest clan leader in history then graduates from the academy becoming a kunoichi (Genin). Her...
20.2K 332 37
Naruto and his twin sister Kazumi, are the one of the last Uzumaki and Namikaze's left. Sasuke, is a different story. He doesn't want to seek reveng...