To Defy A Duke

By vickitickitoria

Lady Eliza Turner has no interest in finding herself a wealthy husband, she has her books, her best friend Ch... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Epilogue

Chapter 61

37.5K 1.5K 54
By vickitickitoria

Eliza climbs onto Captain's back, the early morning air carries a winter chill. All her trunks have been packed into a cart that is being pulled by a beautiful cart horse with a plaited mane. Jasper hands her a woollen scarf as he takes the reins of his horse.

"It's cold." He states bluntly when she looks questioningly at the checked tartan scarf and then at him. She wraps it around her neck and flips the ends over her shoulder. On top of his horse, Jasper checks his girth and straightens his hat.

"You'll visit soon?" Benjamin asks Eliza.

"Of course, and we shall see you tonight at the ball," She reassures, she squeezes her uncle's hand, tears glisten in his eyes but he nods and lets go of her hand. The horse's hooves crunch on the gravel, the creak of the wheels of the cart starts a few moments later as they leave Ryddan's land. The journey to Chester Valley is uneventful, Jasper is in a mood, he has been ever since early in the morning when his mother and sister said goodbye. Eliza decides that her efforts to talk, after a few failed attempts in which he just grunts back, are not worth her hassle. She listens to the crunch and creaking of the cart behind them.

After ten minutes of her own thoughts, Jasper turns to her.

"We are here."

"I don't recognise it," Eliza says looking around. The neat hedgerows line a small stone driveway that leads up to a cream stone house with towering pillars that support an ornate stone roof. Ivy slinks around the pillars and flowers bloom in the vibrant green vines. The door has been polished black with a shiny golden knocker, the windows in the house are all framed by matching cream and golden curtains.

"It looks incredible," Eliza says as she climbs down and approaches the house.

"There's a stable around the back as well as a greenhouse and conservatory," Jasper says also climbing down.

"I cannot believe this." She says leading Captain behind her, the door to this house opens and a butler steps outside.

"My lord duke and duchess." He says walking down the steps to greet them.

"Hargreaves." Jasper shakes his hand.

"Hello." Eliza says.

"My lady." Hargreaves accepts her hand and kisses it lightly. "May I take your horses to the stable?"

"Thank you." Eliza and Jasper both hand him their reins. Eliza smiles brightly at him, still shocked at the transformation of the front of the house.

"Do you want to take a look inside?" Jasper offers her his arm, she accepts and they walk up the steps into the house.

The hallway has been cleaned thoroughly, the chandeliers are no longer covered in dust and the portraits have been removed and replaced with paintings of the countryside. The wooden floor gleams and several detailed rugs have been added.

"It looks so different." Eliza comments, she looks inside at the dining room, the oak table is still there but it has been laid with a white tablecloth and set with silver. The window sills have been decorated with vases of flowers and china ornaments. The cabernets are the same as before, full of liquors and wine but the wooden structures have been cleaned and polished. The room is light and airy, the wallpaper has been stripped away and painted white, brand new gold fixtures hang on the walls supporting candles and lamps.

"I have to admit that it was Luis who organised everything," Jasper says as he studies her expression.

"It's amazing," Eliza says as she leaves the dining room and wanders down the hall. Jasper walks a few steps behind her as she takes in the new furniture and decorations.

"The library is at the end of the hall, my study is next to it. There is an entertainment room, your private parlour and a relaxing room. Upstairs there are several bedrooms and a smaller library." He says as she comes out of the library a little in awe.

"Can we go upstairs?" She asks excitedly.

"Of course, this is your house." Jasper laughs.

Eliza dashes up the red-carpeted stairs, he follows behind her and directs her to the left.

"This is our room." He says pointing to a white door. Eliza grins and turns the handle.

The room is wide and a gigantic four-poster bed sits in the middle, there is a wide-open window that looks down upon an open field with the stables. Eliza walks over to the window where there are two chests either side. A gilded mirror sits above a wide fireplace with a small ticking clock. There is an open doorway to the left.

"What is in there?" She asks as she turns away from the window.

"Have a look," Jasper says, nudging her forward, she shoots him a confused look but complies.

Eliza walks forward, through the doorway into a side dressing room. Oak varnished wardrobes line the walls and a changing screen sits in the corner. There is a large vanity with a floor length mirror on the opposite wall.

"This is stunning." She cries running around the room and opening the grand wardrobes. Jasper leans against the doorway and smiles as she runs her hands over the mirrors and smooth wooden table. She turns in a circle and takes in everything from the lilies on the vanity and silver handles on the drawers. She walks back to the main bedroom and runs her hand over the smooth covers. Jasper follows her and waits for her to say something, she sits on the bed and smiles brightly.

"Thank you," Eliza says. "This house is lovely."

"You are welcome," Jasper says, he takes her hand and pulls her from the bed.

"Your things must be here by now. We should start moving things in." He says.

It takes all day to move everything in and by the time all of her clothes and accessories are in their new places, they are both exhausted and very hungry. The staff bring up some food and drink to have while they get ready. Jasper has pulled on one of his dark tail coat and suits, his brights eyes stand out against his dark hair and his sharp jaw.

"Are you going to tell me what you have planned?" He calls to Eliza as she changes behind the screen.

"No." She grunts as a maid tightens her corset, she feels it crushing her ribs but she grits her teeth through the pain. Jasper straightens his tie in the mirror, he fiddles with his cufflinks and pulls on a pair of shiny black dress shoes. Eliza steps into the dress and waits as the maid laces up the back. The black ribbon tugs the dress into place and highlights Eliza's petite figure. The maid finishes with the ribbon and steps back so Eliza can see herself in the mirror.

"Perfect." She says, "Thank you."

The maid scurries from the room, Jasper is sitting on the bed as Eliza comes around the corner. His eyebrows raise as he takes in her dress, his eyes travel up her bare arms to the black lace neckline that dips in the middle, he takes in the heavy red material with gold stitching that cinches in at her waist and billows out into a wide princess skirt.

"What do you think?" She asks with a secret smile.

"You look nice." Jasper coughs, a light shade of pinks stains his cheeks.

"I was worried," Eliza replies sarcastically as she waltzes back to the dressing room to the vanity table, she picks up a wooden brush and begins to tie her hair up. She sweeps her hair into a low side bun and uses pins to hold it in place, she loosens a strand of hair and it curls down the side of her face. She looks at the shallow base of her neck, she tilts her head and scrunches up her face in indecision. She runs her hand over the tray of necklaces that the servant brought up earlier. Bright diamonds and shiny rubies set into silver and gold chains.

"I have something for you," Jasper says from the doorway, he reaches into his jacket, Eliza swivels in her seat to face him. He hands her a large black velvet box wrapped in a bow. She takes it and looks up at him with a confused smile.

"You don't have to give me things." She says as she unties the ribbon

"I know I don't have to," Jasper says rolling his eyes. "Just open it."

Eliza lifts the lid. A thin golden chain lies on a red silk bed. Half of the chain is made of small crystal leaves linked with tiny golden loops, it drops to a group of three crystal leaves, a small metal rose set with hundreds of tiny diamonds hangs from the middle leaf.

"Jasper." Eliza breathes, "It's beautiful."

"I am glad you like it," Jasper says, he picks it up and drapes it around her neck, he fastens the necklace. Eliza admires it in the mirror and touches the diamond rose.

"I love it." She says, she stands up. "Thank you."

She wraps her arms around his neck and kisses him. It is a soft and loving kiss but he deepens it and backs her up against the wall, he pauses for breath and begins sliding his kisses down to her neck. She gasps softly and leans in, she grabs onto his hair as he pushes her up higher against the wall, she wraps her legs around his waist and tugs him closer to her. His hands jump to her dress's fastenings.

"We have a party to get to." She says even though her eyes are closed and her breath is rising. Jasper pauses, he curses softly and lowers her to the ground. Eliza catches her breath and smoothes her hair and dress.

"Are you ready then?" He says begrudgingly.

"I think so," Eliza replies checking her appearance in the mirror, she frowns at the way her collarbone sticks out, her period of ill health has brought out her bone structure in her face and neck. Her nerves must have shown on her face as Jasper says.

"You look lovely," He takes her hand and drags her away from the dressing table. He picks up her heels on the floor in the main bedroom, she slides them on. She smiles as he twirls her around.

"Perfect." He says.

Eliza dances away from him and out into the corridor, her feet skip along the carpet but she waits for him at the top of the stairs. She grabs his hand and leads him down the stairs to the front door. Jasper lifts a black fur-lined cloak from the coat stand and Eliza ties it around her shoulders, he pulls on his own long dark coat with silver buttons.

"Duchess Harrington." Jasper offers his arm, she entwines her arm around his with a smile and they walk outside to the carriage.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.6K 457 30
If you've been waiting for Garrett's and Frederica's story, here it is! Garrett has given up pining for his sister's best friend. He has political am...
59.8K 1.4K 34
After spending years as one of the most notorious rakes of the ton, Anthony Bridgerton has decided it's time to settle down and carry on the family l...
1.7M 69.2K 29
After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but who both hide secrets that could ruin he...
5.3M 26.5K 7
SAMPLE COPY! The complete book is now available on Amazon (links on my profile). This version on Wattpad is a sample copy only and is incomplete. Pe...