Raven Knight

By RobClark5

It's the year 2309 and the question of whether we are alone in the universe is finally answered; an answer wh... More

Chapter 1 - War of the Underworld
Chapter 2 - Europan Dream
Chapter 3 - Family Connections
Chapter 4 - The Crazy Tigers
Chapter 5 - Pure Fury
Chapter 6 - Planet Loki
Chapter 7 - Mayday, Mayday, Mayday
Chapter 8 - Dire Straights
Chapter 9 - First Contact
Chapter 10 - Bring the rain
Chapter 12 - Grace & Brutality
Chapter 13 - Major Debrief
Chapter 14 - Queen to Knight
Chapter 15 - Blue Ravens
Chapter 16 - Conspiracy Theorist
Chapter 17 - Saviour or Executioner
Chapter 18 - Even Knights Need Queens
Chapter 19 - Behind Enemy Lines
Chapter 20 - Stuttgart
Chapter 21 - The Enemy of My Enemy
Chapter 22 - How it all Began
Chapter 23 - Dangerous Truths
Chapter 24 - The Ultimate Connection
Chapter 25 - Rehabilitation & Refocus
Chapter 26 - Hero or Villain
Chapter 27 - The Duchess Heissenberger
Chapter 28 - Ravens of the Damned
Chapter 29 - Assassin
Chapter 30 - Trauma
Chapter 31 - Final Stronghold
Chapter 32 - 17th Special Operations Unit
Chapter 33 - Alea Iacta Est
Chapter 34 - The Dead Do Tell Tales
Chapter 35 - Fury of a Raven
Chapter 36 - Incarcerated
Chapter 37 - Vive La Resistance
Appendix I - Individuals
Appendix II - Rank Structure & Acronyms

Chapter 11 - Medevac

762 68 6
By RobClark5

Date and time unknown - "Charlie Tango 27564 to Echelon Command, requesting immediate medevac."

Dust was still being violently blown around the battlefield after the recent engagement called for an orbital bombardment in order to save the outpost defenders. Jason sank back against the defences trying to regain his breath in order to clearly request the extraction of some members of the team. While most sustained minor injuries, there were some that were in critical condition.

He moved slightly and felt the sharp pain in his side that he'd forgotten about. He winced remembering that he had been suffering from a cracked rib for some time now but the adrenaline had helped him to forget.

Jason waited briefly for a response before repeating the request. He knew someone was listening, the vessel was still maintaining an orbit close to their position.

"Charlie Tango 27564, this is Echelon Command. Negative on the medevac, area is too hot for safe extraction. I repeat, negative on the medevac."

Jason was astonished by the request denial and had not really expected it. He pulled himself up to his feet and allowed the dust to whirl around him as he looked towards the outpost entrance. Despite not being too far away, the dust was quite thick and it wasn't overly clear where he stood.

He made his way in its general direction. "Echelon Command this is Charlie Tango 27564, we have soldiers in critical condition, once again requesting immediate medevac!"

It was all quiet on the communication link as the lights of the outpost could now be seen through the dust cloud, Jason was starting to get frustrated by the lack of response.

Aurora raced up to him "What's happening with the medevac?"

Jason shook his head "They're denying it, apparently the area's too hot." He said frustrated.

Aurora placed her hands on her hips aggressively and despite the helmet covering her face, it was obvious that she was extremely angry about the situation. "Denied!? What!? The Lieutenant only has a few hours to live, we need to get him out of here!"

Jason didn't respond, he knew all too well the situation they were in, but there wasn't much he could do about it. What he didn't quite understand was why the area was considered too hot.

A crackle came over the communication link. "This is Echelon Command, request denied. Report to the outpost briefing room in five minutes, we are sending you the necessary encryption details for priority communication."

Jason looked at Aurora confused. "Uh, copy that Echelon Command."

"What is it?" Despite not hearing the communication herself, Aurora could tell that the communication was not quite what Jason was expecting.

"Westwood, report to the briefing room, Pendergast and I will join you shortly." Jason commanded.

"Briefing room?" Asked Aurora.

Jason just shrugged before preparing himself for the expected briefing.

The three soldiers stood arms folded waiting for Schuldermann to do what he could to get the briefing room ready for the next communication with Echelon command. There wasn't much talk in the room, they were tired and irate, and now it seemed that they were trapped.

"Eureka" screeched Schuldermann as the lights dimmed and the large table in the centre of the room glowed blue. Unfortunately, no one shared his enthusiasm. It wasn't until he noticed the glare from Jason that he turned and quickly exited the room.

Jason folded his arms, he was too tired and in too much pain to be enthralled by this communication about to happen, and knowing that time was of the essence he felt increasingly more impatient. Whichever Captain or Major that was going to give them the rundown for why a medevac was denied was about to get an earful. Even if it could potentially mean a court-martial!

"Authorisation approved, prepare for a communication with Major General Von Striken." A voice echoed throughout the room.

Immediately the three soldiers stood upright and unfolded their arms. "Oh shit." Aurora cursed, straightening the disaster that was her armoured uniform.

Jason shared her response. He had not prepared to speak to the chief commander of the operation, and why would he ever want to speak to two low ranked Corporals and one Lance-Corporal. The refusal of the medevac was a lot more serious than expected.

Eventually, a blue hologram of a stern-looking middle-aged man appeared sitting rigidly and with purpose. He displayed a superior air of authority about him, and the certain arrogance in his posture defused any aggressive stance towards him. The three soldiers instantly saluted with respect to the commander.

"First of all, well done for your recent victory. Who's in charge?" The hologram voice echoed sharply around the room. Even his voice felt superior and demanded respect.

"Corporal Jason Scharn, Sir" Jason responded, still standing to attention.

The General sat back in his seat and a small frown seemed to appear on his face. "Scharn? That is not exactly a common name." He responded.

Jason knew his words would have to be picked carefully. There was a certain venom in the General's voice, especially when repeating the surname. Jason had to remember though that the utmost priority was to ensure a medevac would be sent at the earliest convenience. "No sir."

The frown seemed to disappear from the General's gaze. It appeared he liked people who were straight to the point.

"Your medevac is denied." The General responded.

Jason wasn't going to let it slide, General or not, that medevac was essential. "Sir with all due respect we need that medevac, we have critically injured personnel who need medical attention immediately!"

The General's frown returned. "Anyone who says 'with all due respect' generally say it without any!" The General reprimanded Jason. "And you of all people should know that there is always a bigger picture involved."

Jason didn't respond despite Aurora's glare. The General knew he was the son of Yulrian Scharn, angering him more would not help their cause any further.

The General continued "The area is heavily defended by anti air defences currently under enemy control, any attempt for a medevac would end in complete failure." Then a strained smile appeared on his face. "However I believe you've provided us with an opportunity that I plan to take."

Jason knew where this was going. He felt his body ache again as a sign but he did what he could to push those thoughts aside. Another mission was coming, and he needed to use every ounce of strength that he had available.

"The invasion attempt failed comprehensively" the General continued "the enemy have managed to hack into planetary defences far quicker than anticipated and at this time we are simply unable to establish a beachhead."

It then dawned on Jason the severity of the situation. Not only was a medevac out of the question for them but it was impossible to get anyone on or off the entire planet. They were stuck here for the foreseeable future.

The General carried on with the briefing as a map displaying the mountain they were currently located on appeared in front of them. It then quickly zoomed into their outpost. "As stated there is a heavy anti air defence presence in your area. By removing that threat we will be able to establish a beachhead at your outpost and you'll get your medevac."

That felt like a bribe to Jason. Using the medevac as a reward for the dangerous task he was about to be asked to do. His father had never spoken of General Richard von Striken and perhaps it was because something felt terribly off about him. He was using Jason and the Crazy Tigers for his own personal benefit.

He also couldn't deny though that it was a sure win should Jason manage to achieve the objective.

"Traverse the mountain, disable the air defences and get out. If necessary destroy the defences, but ideally we would want to use them again very quickly in the near future." The General concluded.

Jason felt like he had to say something, even if it was to a General. He was being expected to go deep into enemy territory quite unprepared for the task.

"Sir, the Crazy Tigers are heavily depleted and do not have the sufficient experience to undertake such a task."

It seemed Aurora and Westwood breathed a sigh of relief knowing that Jason was fighting their corner even though they all knew it was futile.

The General just frowned. "Does it look like I care, Corporal!"

There was a harsh venomous tone in the use of the word 'Corporal' ensuring that Jason was reminded of his rank and his absolute lack of authority. "You will send a team to the air defence hub and you will disable it, that is an order! Echelon Command out!"

The hologram cut off abruptly leaving just the hum of computer equipment around the room. All three of them were stunned by the conversation and how it turned sour so quickly.

"Well that went well!" Aurora commented flippantly.

Jason sighed and then winced as he felt a sharp pain in his side. Pushing back the fatigue and pain he was determined to think straight. Despite the General's demeanour, it was obvious that it was a suitable strategy.

"You two get ready, we'll leave in ten. I'll make sure everything is prepared for our departure." Ordered Jason.

He could sense Westwood frowning "Just the three of us? Right in the middle of enemy territory? There's no way that we will succeed."

Jason tried to stand straight despite his aches and pains just for his own satisfaction. He turned to Westwood as he administered another dose of painkillers into his bloodstream. As he felt his nerve endings relax it became easier to stand tall and think straight about what needed to be done.

"The General may be abrupt and the outcome is not as we hope but he is right. We have to succeed, Westwood. Not only does the Lieutenant need us to complete this mission but everyone left on this planet is looking to us. If we fail, everyone fails!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46 9 17
When no one knows you're alive, its liberating and confining. It's one of the best things that can happen to you, especially if you're a villain! Yo...
3.1K 234 21
Humans are quite possibly the lowest level of life from what I can tell. They just come and go as they please, destroy what they please, and contain...
81.4K 3.2K 16
My love torn away. My will gone with her. I am already hanging off a thin thread. When this new kid, a son of Aphrodite comes, my string breaks off. ...
16.7K 1.7K 158
In the year 2026, an alien race called the Zlocu led under the command of the bloodthirsty Emperor, Malgan Tomentradi, are waging war across the star...