The Past Between Us

De Reeyu97

When devastating circumstances caused Scarlett Hudson to leave her home town she never imagined that another... Mai multe

D e s c r i p t i o n
P r o l o g u e
~1~
~2~
~3~
~4~
~5~
~6~
~7~
~8~
~9~
~10~
~11~
~13~
~14~
~15~
~16~
~17~
~18~
~19~
~20~
~21~
~22~
~23~
~24~
~25~
~26~
~27~
~28~
~29~
~ 29.5 |Hunter|~
~30~
~31~
~32~
~33~
~34~
~35~
E p i l o g u e
T r a i l e r & FAQs

~12~

136K 4.2K 1K
De Reeyu97

Edited

|3 years ago|

We finally reached the party.

I gaped out of the car window at the massive house, which looked more like a castle.

Hunter quickly got out of the driver's seat and opened the door for me.

Megan and Danielle were in Jace's car behind us.

I could hear the music blaring loudly from inside the house.

We made our way to the door and Hunter rang the doorbell. The door opened instantly.

We were greeted by Nichole Sanders.

"Hunter! I'm so glad you made it to my party!" She squealed.

Her party?

My head snapped in Hunter's direction. I eyed him accusingly. He hadn't mentioned that the party was Nichole's. He gave me a sheepish look.

Nichole's eyes squared on me. And I didn't miss the small frown that appeared before she covered it with a wide smile.

"I thought only you and Jace were coming?" Her voice was light but her eyes flashed icily.

Hunter's arm wrapped around my waist a little possessively.

"We changed plans. Is there a problem? We could leave." He said casually.

I could practically see the color draining from Nichole's face.

"No! Come inside! How rude of me. The more the merrier." She stepped aside to let us in.

Hunter gave her a dazzling smile.

The party was already in full swing when we entered.

Somewhere in the middle of the sea of dancing bodies Hunter and I got separated.

I roamed around aimlessly for a while.

I wasn't exactly a party person. I was extremely awkward when it came to socializing and Hunter was the exact opposite. He was a natural people-pleaser, everyone loved him. 

"Hey there." I jumped when I heard someone whisper in my ear.

"Oh my God Jace! You almost gave me a heart attack!" My hand clutched my chest.

He chuckled. "I'm sorry. You looked so lost. I couldn't resist."

I smacked his chest and pretended to be annoyed.

He laughed again.

"You look nice by the way."

I couldn't hide my blush.

"You think you can win me over with compliments?" I teased.

I watched his eyes move as he read my lips. He smiled showing his perfect teeth in the process.

"I'm counting on it." He winked.

It was my turn to laugh now.

I was just about to respond when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I was surprised to find Nichole standing behind me.

She gave me an uneasy smile and I raised my eyebrows at her expectantly.

"Look I know I've been a real bitch to you and I just wanted to say I'm sorry. It's just that the past few months have been pretty hard and this whole high-school thing is pretty nerve-wracking. I don't exactly know how to deal with it."

I felt my anger ebb away.

"It's okay I understand." I said giving her a warm smile.

She smiled back.

"I just came here to tell you that Hunter was looking for you near the pool. You should go to him."

"Oh! Of course. I'll go to him. Can you tell me where the pool is?" I asked.

Her hand grasped my elbow. "I'll take you there. Come with me."

She gave Jace a small wave before walking away with me in tow.

We reached the pool house which to my surprise looked deserted.

"Are you sure Hunter is here?" I said a little uncertainly.

She gave me a comforting smile.

"Positive. Now come on." She said as she pulled me with her.

It was dark and I couldn't see anyone. The pool was illuminated by the moonlight.

She started pulling me towards the pool and that's when I started getting uneasy.

"Let's just go back. He's not here." I tried to get my arm free from her hold but she just tightened her grip.

We were at the edge of the pool now and I could feel panic clawing inside my chest.

Her features seemed hollow almost ghostly in the moonlight.

"Don't you think tonight is lovely for a swim." She murmured.

"I don't know how to swim." I told her truthfully.

Her lips twisted into a sardonic smile.

"I know." I heard her say.

And then she pushed me.

My arms flailed and a scream of pure terror left my lips.

I hit the ice cold water. I could feel it enveloping me.

The last thing I saw was Nichole's retreating back.

I tried to scream again but my mouth filled with water.

My arms and legs thrashed wildly.

Water

Everywhere.

My muscles eventually started to get fatigued. I was losing consciousness because of the lack of oxygen.

This is it.

This is how I was going to die.

I was too tired to think now.

Had to close my eyes.

All of a sudden I was being pulled up.

I could feel air hitting my skin.

"Breathe. Goddamnit! Breathe!" A familiar voice pleaded.

My mouth opened as I sputtered out what seemed like gallons of water.

I gulped in lungful's of air.

"Thank God!" Hunter pulled me to his chest tightly.

"Thank God Jace knew where you were"

"Hunter." I finally managed to speak. I broke down. Sobs racked my body as I hugged him tightly.

"I was so scared Hunter!" I cried into his chest.

"I know baby. I'm sorry I wasn't there to protect you. I'm so sorry Scarlett." His voice cracked.

His body suddenly went rigid.

"What happened? Who did this?" He demanded.

"Nichole." I managed to whisper.

His eyes darkened as he clenched his jaw tightly. I'd never seen him look so angry before.

"What happened?" I heard Jace pant as he came running towards us.

Hunter slowly got up bringing me up with him. He took off his jacket and put it over my shoulders.

"Take care of her Jace. Get her home. I have to find Nichole. She can't get away with this. Not while I'm still here" His voice came out as a snarl.

Jace just nodded like he understood what was going on. He put a comforting arm around my shoulder.

My eyes locked with Hunter's and for a moment his fierce expression softened.

He brushed his knuckles against my cheek affectionately.

"I've never felt so scared and helpless in my life. I never want to experience that again." He murmured.

He stepped away from me.

I watched his retreating back as he made his way back in the direction of the party.

That was the last time I called Hunter Adams my friend.

***********

A/N: Thank you so much for all the love and patience you guys!

How do you like this book so far? I'd really love to hear your opinions!

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Love you all. xx

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

171K 2.5K 39
"You don't know what I went through!" I yelled at him, angry tears streaming down my face. He stared at me for a long time before he spoke. "I loved...
359 36 35
*EDITING AND ONGOING* Scarlett was never ordinary. Having her entire family be apart of the Mafia since she could remember. She hoped to stay out of...
698K 24K 38
Cami Wimberley has a plan, and that plan includes no room for boys—especially the big time party animal, Hunter Wilder, no matter how handsome and ch...
235K 10K 30
Amelia Jame is 17 years old and has never really spoken to any boy except her best friend Tyler. She is a straight 'A' student and has never gotten i...