To Defy A Duke

By vickitickitoria

Lady Eliza Turner has no interest in finding herself a wealthy husband, she has her books, her best friend Ch... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Epilogue

Chapter 60

38.3K 1.5K 59
By vickitickitoria

Eliza looks around her room, she clicks her tongue as she decides where to begin. The bed is neatly made and upslept in, the vanity table is neatly arranged and the only things out of place are books on the side tables, their page corners crumpled and fading. She has lived in this room for seven years, she didn't take much from her old room so the things that have filled this room are recent acquisitions and gifts. She opens the oak wardrobe that holds her old day dresses. Their dull material and unfashionable style are incomparable to her new wardrobe, they seem like they belong to a person living a different life.

"You won't be needing them anymore," Helen says as she bustles in with two trunks and an old large wicker basket. "I don't know how you survived with such an array of gowns."
Eliza runs her hand over the material with a smile, the extravagance of the rich.

"Here." Helen passes Eliza the wicker basket. "It has all six of your old evening gowns, put the rest of the dresses in there."

"Where will they all go?" Eliza asks as she folds up the dresses and places them inside.

"I thought we could take them to the orphanage, they are always in need of clothes," Helen replies, opening the trunks up.

"I like that idea." Eliza says as she shuts the wardrobe and hands over the wicker basket. Helen nods.

"I'll take them tomorrow." She looks around the room sceptically, "You can use these two trunks for anything you wish to take from in here, your uncle is in the library, he is packing all your books and Jasper said something about preparing Captain."

Eliza grins, she was planing on taking him in the morning but it seems that Jasper is one step of her.

"Your aunt is meant to be assisting with the wrapping and packing of your jewellery but I suspect she just wanted to snoop." Helen continues, "So I will go do that now."

"Thank you," Eliza says taking her hands, "I could never do this myself."

Helen smiles and pats her cheek. "It's nothing."

She leaves, Eliza pulls the smaller trunk over to her vanity and she opens the drawers and pulls out various hair tools and accessories. Ornate combs, flower pins, ruby clips and many different shades of ribbon are neatly placed inside the case followed by decorated brushes, detangling combs and handheld mirrors. With the vanity empty, Eliza shuts the small trunk and locks it.

The larger trunk becomes filled with the contents of both side tables, books that she is currently reading, paint and paint brushes, a small notebook, a ragged doll missing an eye and a large writing set with a heavy book of parchment. The bed looks the same but the bare side tables and vanity stick out.

"Knock knock." Benjamin pokes his head around the door.

"Come in," Eliza says as she gets to her feet, he sidles into the room, his hands hide something behind his back.

"I've packed all your books up, they are in several trunks by the door." He says looking around.

"I have almost finished in here," Eliza says looking around her bare room. Benjamin nods his head several times

"I have a few things for you." Her uncle shuffles nervously, "They were to be given to you on your marriage, both of you." He removes his hands from his back, in his hands are two black boxes with silver ribbon. "One is from your mother and one from your father, Kitty gave them to me when she visited, she explained that Eloise was buried with hers and wanted you to have yours now."

Eliza takes the boxes from him reluctantly, they feel heavy in her hands, "Thank you." She turns to the trunk and then back to him, "I think I'll open them later."

"Of course." Benjamin coughs. "But open this now." He reaches into his jacket and pulls out a tiny box.

Eliza places the two black boxes in her trunk and takes the silver box from him, she lifts the lid. A rusty key stares back.

"It's a key to this house ." He explains, "This house will always be your home if you need it."

She closes the box and hugs her uncle tightly. "Thank you, thank you for everything, I know I wasn't the easiest niece to have."

"I am honoured to have you as my niece," Benjamin replies. Eliza lets go and he hastily wipes tears away from his eyes.

"Shall we go downstairs?" He suggests, "I think the others have finished."

"Yes." Eliza places the key in with the other boxes and locks the trunk. She follows her uncle down the stairs to where all her cases are piled by the door. Benjamin places his two by the rest and stretches his back.

"I think some dinner is in order."

After dinner, they retire to the drawing room from whence Jasper pulls out two stacks of cards. The grandfather clock chimes 8'oclock when the begin playing. They sit around a high table in the living room, cards in their hands. After much insistence Penny has been allowed to watch, she huddles close to Eliza. Jasper chucks a coin into the growing pile.

"I raise you." He says, Helen tuts and places her cards on the table, Benjamin groans and does the same.

Elizabeth and Eliza both copy Jasper's bet, Penny whispers something to Eliza's ear but she shakes her head.

The next card is revealed on the table, Jasper places a higher coin in the centre. Elizabeth folds but  Eliza matches his bet.

"Are you sure?" Jasper asks with raised eyebrows, "You haven't had much luck in the last games."

Eliza doesn't respond but smiles. Jasper puts another coin on the table, Eliza mirrors.

"How about we make this more interesting ?" He asks after a pause.

"What do you have in mind?"

"You have to play one song on piano for me."

There's an audible gasp around the table but Eliza's face remains stone cold.

"And if I win?" Eliza asks.

"Name your price."

Eliza bites her lip and considers.

"If you win you I will play one song on the piano if I win you have to dance three dances with me at the party." She decides.

"One song for three dances, how is that fair? One song, one dance."

"One song, two dances with a break."

"Deal."

Eliza and Jasper shake hands.

"Reveal your hands then," Benjamin says.

Jasper lays down his cards.

"A flush." He announces with a triumph. Benjamin pats Eliza on the back sympathetically.

"Never mind." He says, "Next time."

"I look forward to my song," Jasper says leaning back with a smirk.

Eliza rolls her eyes, "Not quite."

"Royal Flush." She lays her cards on the table and leans forward. "You lost, darling."

Jasper gapes in disbelief as does everyone around the table. Her cards lie on the table, they taunt everyone with their bright colours. Eliza crosses her arms smugly. 

"Can you teach me?" Penny murmers in the silence, Eliza laughs.

"It is not a ladies sport, to gamble." Elizabeth snaps out of her astonishment. "Piano is much better suited."

"It's bed, I think." Helen says still in shock, she places her hands on her daughter's shoulders, "Come on Penny."

Penny hugs Eliza goodnight and they disappear upstairs. Jasper downs his gin, his face hasn't changed in five minutes.

"I am tired too, after all that packing," Eliza admits as she sweeps her winnings into her pockets. "What time shall we leave tomorrow?"
Jasper doesn't respond, his eyes are fixed on her winning cards.

"I think you have shaken his ego," Elizabeth says smugly rapping Jasper's chair with her stick.

"What?" Jasper jumps out of his trance.

"What time shall we see Chester Valley tomorrow?" Eliza repeats.

"Oh." He clears his throat, "We should see my mother and sister off after breakfast but we can leave immediately after that."

"Excellent." Eliza slides off her chair, she glances at him, "Are you coming to bed?"

Jasper stands and joins at her side, they bid goodnight to Elizabeth and Benjamin and then climb the stairs to bed. They walk in silence until Jasper cannot contain his curiosity.

"How did you become so good at poker?" He asks, Eliza sighs.

"My mother always insisted that you have to clever to win a good match so I watched my father play with his friends, and I found the way you bluff fascinating as well as trying to uncover people's tells. For example, my uncle's left eye twitches when he lies."

"I didn't notice," Jasper says honestly. Eliza stops in front of her old room, she faces him and he almost walks into her.

"I know this is slightly unusual but would you mind if I stayed in here tonight?" She asks, "I...."

Jasper cups her face and plants a kiss on her nose. "Of course." he says, "I'll see you in the morning."

He kisses her goodbye and walks down the corridor to the west guest bedroom, he looks to her before going in, she waves, he smiles and lets himself inside. Eliza walks into her bedroom, it looks bare without all her books and clothes, a ghost room. She curls up in her bed and studies the room she has lived in for seven years. It seemed impossible to her that a few months ago she was in the very room and that the very idea of leaving this room, this house was preposterous.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

To Defend A Duke By Victoria

Historical Fiction

435K 24.1K 40
Four years ago, Evelyn Wright's perfect life as a debutante in London was ripped away from her, and her family moved to the countryside. Since then...
192K 10K 33
They had been the best of friends since childhood. She knew that he secretly wore spectacles. He knew that she had once stolen all the wine for the...
476K 22.1K 13
( COMPLETED STORY) What happens when the rakish Lord in the whole of London is truly falling in love with a simple, plain, and most ordinary girl, so...
184K 11.9K 55
{Shortlisted for the Wattys 2022} It's 1798 and The Lenoir family controls a significant part of London's dreaded and violent underworld. They reap t...