Hidden Truths - Ethan

By Kitiara_Black

London, 1848. Everybody needs someone to hate. I'm Ethan Vinge, the lord's first royal guard. I am also Ethan... More

Prologue
1 - The Council Meeting
2 - The Murder
3 - The Doctor
4 - Take a Seat
5 - The Kiss
6 - The Maid
7 - The Training
8 - Special Bonds
9 - The Frog
10 - The Stranger
11 - The Celebration
12 - Welcome to the Beasts
13 - The Mountain
14 - The Accident
15 - The Confusion
16 - Soulless Demons
17 - The Lesson
18 - The Establishment
19 - The Silver lining
20 - Tainted Love
21 - The Newborns
22 - The Lead
23 - The Prelude
24 - About Angels and Demons
25 - The Showgirl
26 - The Trial
27 - The Change
28 - The Deal
29 - The Cat with Claws
30 - The Aftermath
31 - The Duality
32 - The Stalker
33 - The Banishment
34 - Point of No Return
35 - The Punishment
36 - The Caretaker
37 - The Rebirth
38 - The News
39 - The Truth I
40 - The Homecoming
41 - The Truth II
42 - The Confession I
43 - The Nightmare
44 - A Father's Love
45 - The Butcher
46 - The Confession II
47 - The Kidnapping
48 - Sweet Tragedy
49 - The Reunion
50 - The Messenger
52 - Law of War
53 - The Takeover
54 - The Poison
55 - The Hunter
56 - Night of Change
57 - The Leader
58 - The Son
59 - The Reality
60 - The Revelation
61 - End of an Era
62 - The End
Epilogue
Song Collection
Story Secrets - Ethan (Spoilers!)

51 - The Gates

25 5 0
By Kitiara_Black

"Yes, Sir..." Wilburn says while breathing heavily. The last time he will do so is obviously not too far away. "I can't guarantee your safety or future wages at that point. I cannot even tell you for sure that your wounds will heal in a way ours do. The moment you wake your pain will be far worse than it is now, but it will eventually get better until you are adapted to the changes," his grip on my hand slightly tightens, "You will need to swallow the blood I give you," I clarify only to see him blink the tears away.

"I understand and accept."

I rip open my wrist with my fangs. My hands are shaking from the thought what I need to do now and my eyes wander to Lyall. His expression changes as he sees the fear plastered across my otherwise emotionless face.

"I need your help..." I nearly whisper. After a moment of irritation, he comes closer to kneel down next to us. "Why?" He asks looking at my bleeding wrist. I clench my teeth. "I never successfully turned someone. I need to make sure this man's last wish will work out. Lyall, please..."

My eyes start to gleam as I speak and Lyall looks at the dying guard. "He already suffers. You should let his soul go and find some peace," he then says calmly. Wilburn's right arm slips out of mine to reach over to grab Lyall. "I need to feed my family," Wilburn presses out, "I... I don't need to see them, but I need to feed them," his grip loosening on Lyall's arm after that.

"I beg you, Lyall," I say before seeing him still standing to his words from before. I grit my teeth so tight that my jaw starts to hurt. I need to do it on my own... I will seal another fate. Why do I have to make decisions like these?

The man in front of me starts to get limp as the unconsciousness finally wins the fight. I curse before biting my wrist once again and shoving it into Wilburn's mouth. I need to stay strong. I need to be what this dying man in front me needs the most and this is a creator.

Shaking his body, the pain I cause seems to wake him at least long enough to try to get some air. Instead of air, he gets some gulps of my blood; so far so good.

Damn you, Lyall!

You, and your unforgiving face.

You, and your stupid attitude!

I hate you!

My mind is racing, but my body starts moving.

I splatter my blood all over Wilburn's face. Next, I rip off the molded uniform pieces from his arm and cover the wound in my own blood too. I take a deep breath first before I also rip off both of my own shirt's sleeves to use the cloth as a bandage for his head. It takes me two attempts to get it right, but as I look down his left arm, I realize the cloth I have is too little for that.

I take off my leather armor from my shinbones and wrap it tightly around his wounded arm. That should do. At least I hope so, what else could I do?

I get up and look at my work. It is not professional but I hope it is enough. He does not earn to live an eternity with those obvious scars – if he will survive this at all. With a pull at the guard's neck, I release him. He is dead; for now. I frown deeply when I look up to Lyall.

It is also then when I realize my own heavy breathing and the trembling hands that I have tightly pressed against my sides. My head starts to spin and I am sick in my stomach. I need to calm. I need to get away from here. Lyall's eyes observing me closely. I can feel them silently judging me.

I cannot run from this. I need to become Tristan's first in line again, right now. Tensing up I reach out to the lifeless body on the ground to pick it up. "Did you just turn a human in my territory?" Lyall asks with his face indefinable and I nod. "That's what I hope..."

We both look at the wounded guard in my arms. "He earned to see his wish fulfilled," I explain while I realize that my arms are still shaking. "Is that how it went with that maid, too?" I do not answer him but take a side-look at Connor who is coming closer.

"Agony should not be in vain," I murmur before Connor speaks up. "Looks like that tin soldier had a rough night." He does not realize what just happened before I press the dead body into his arms. "Bring him in the main cave and tie him up. He possibly will turn soon and I'm not sure what will come out of it," my cool tone surprises Connor. "He will turn?"

"Didn't I speak clear enough?" I growl and stare at him. Lyall nods to Connor to do as I said. "What are you up to, brother?" Connor asks further instead of just following the orders.

I turn to Lyall and ignore Connor. "We need to prepare, Lyall. The humans will be first to come during the daytime. I had a map for them that Jacque, for sure, handed them over – fire or not. We need to leave the gates open." I go through the defined points of plan zero. I have no time to waste.

"You gave them a map," he states in disbelief. I nod.

"You gave them a map and want us to leave the gates open?" He barks at me in full fury now; all the calmness is gone. "Are you mad? I will never let the gates to our hideout open just because you say so! As much as I hate to hurt any humans, I need to protect my people." With that, he turns around and pushes Connor to leave with him.

My look wanders to the horizon and I realize how little time I have left. Weighing in my options, I figure that it would take too long to convince Lyall so I need to improvise. I smirk at the idea that forms in my head. Thank you, Doctor Nowak.

I start to run where the prepared logs for the barricades are. Getting myself a pole, I carry the log over as quickly as I can and ram it into the area before the still open gates but struggle. Connor comes to help me steady it out and make it stand alone.

"What are you doing?" He wants to know as I start to carve a big X to the wood. "They will be wounded when they come," I start to explain, "and I cannot let them die out here. Tristan would be furious."

"I'm not sure I understand," he scratches his head.

"If the gates are closed, I need to open it when they arrive," I explain.

"What? Are you nuts?"

I prick my thumb with my fang and smear the carving with it. This should do. The guards will recognize the symbol.

"Connor, if you truly want to be of use: Carry as much cloth and water into the main cave as possible before the sun dawns. In case you know what Naveena used for my wounds, we also will need that." His face shows confusion but he comes to help me. After I brought the second round of water buckets to fill the kegs in the cave, Lyall once more comes to me.

"What are you doing, butcher? Nobody will come in here during the daytime." He steps in my way.

"Didn't you listen? They did not heal... No matter if human or vampire, they will come here wounded and burnt. Have you never been in a sickbay?" I do not intend to sound cocky, but vampires do not need sick bays like humans. As soon as a wound closes, a vampire will be ready to fight again.

"Didn't you listen?" he starts to repeat my question, but I interrupt him harshly. "I don't care! They will wait outside in their carriages and as soon as I can, I will help them. This is what I promised to do! This is how Tristan protects his people and this is how I will act in his favor!"

"Help him!" He then orders over my head and I nod. At least he understands my intentions. Even though the beasts are all starting to prepare the furs and move around the furniture for more people to be able to lie down, the gates are closed.

Lyall follows me silently after I carried in another load of furs. The sun also dares to start luring over the edge of the world as we both stand next to each other looking down at the dead human guard named Wilburn.

My thoughts wander to Tristan but before I could sink to deep in my worries, Lyall pats my shoulder. "I will take care of him, when he wakes, don't worry," he nearly whispers. "If he wakes up," I counter.

"Why should he not?"

I do not answer and move to the cave entrance to sit down and start working on some furs I laid down there. The sun is getting brighter every minute and I have to wonder about myself. If it would not be for Tristan, I would not even have considered such a stupid plan.

Henriette, are you proud?

~~~~

My people started to drink some beer or leaving for their dedicated rooms as the sun crawls higher and higher. I cannot believe the Butcher really thought I would leave the gates open after all we got from the city vampires is hate and mistrust. If there are rumors and they managed to burn down the headquarters of the Vampire Society of London, how long will it take them to come for us?

The only reason why I still talk to those savages from the city at all is Tristan and our shared past. He is a good man and I know he is capable to rule them, even though his weak spot seems to sit at the entrance of our main cave now. Thinking about it, even Tristan betrayed me for him, as he clearly knew about the Butcher's plan to leave the woods. I sigh and take another sip of my beer.

As the cave is nearly empty, I can see Connor approaching the Butcher with a cigarette. They smoke silently sitting next to each other. I told Connor in the very beginning after they had this little quarrel with Naveena that I want him to have an eye on Ethan. Now I am not sure anymore on which side he would stand if there would be the need to choose.

After quite a while, a piteous howl reaches the cave. Similar to the one the guard gave to bring the news about the fire. I can see the Butcher rising and Connor wildly gesturing next to him. "That's suicide!" he shouts out loud as the Butcher dunks the fur he was working on the whole time into the keg full of water next to them.

Ethan does not answer Connor and I am alarmed. The howls outside get louder as I get up from my seat and head over. Before I could reach the two of them though, the Butcher moves the soaked fur over his shoulders. He somehow attached them to a cloak and now ties it tightly in front of his chest. "What the hell are you doing?" I bark at him but he fully ignores me and hides his head in the hood. The last thing I see is his wolfish smirk as he starts running outside.

My eyes widen and I can hear Connor cursing before he howls grudgingly to answer the noises outside the barricade. I come to stand in front of the cave just for a moment to feel the pain from the sun and head back in with a growl. "Connor! Why did you let him go?" I demand to know and we both watch the figure making its way to the gates. I growl aloud at the sight once again. What is he thinking?

We usually have at least two of my men open the gates but he is standing there trying to open them on his own. I clench my teeth as I can see his arms starting to form blisters first and then the flesh starts to burn.

Unlike last time, he was running into the dim light of the sinking sun, this time I can hear his roars of pain. I cannot believe he is doing this just to disobey my orders. The wet fur and the cloak underneath seem to protect him a little, but even though, I am not sure that he will make it.

The barricade slowly opens and I can hear him yelling some orders before he falls down. One of the humans slips through and then a second one makes it. Both are dressed in guard's uniforms. Another pain inflicted growl before the Butcher rises to his feet again and clenching to tighten the cloak around him.

His face starts burning as he stumbles back to the main cave and the hood nearly falls back completely. Connor is growling out in frustration before he takes a deep breath. Fully aware of what he wants to do I stop him.

"I'll do it." What kind of leader would I be to risk my man's life for my own mistake? I should have known he would not let go of his plan to open the gates so soon. I position myself and wait for him to be half way back.

Before I could start to run outside to rescue that stupid fool of a vampire that is already nearly halfway back, the human guards seem to have realized what is going on. They haul him on both sides of his arms, away from the ground as he just slipped again. The flesh on his arms is starting to fall off burnt but they come running to the cave sprinting.

As they enter the cooling shadows, I do not wait another moment to throw a bucket of water over the badly burnt body to our feet. Connor removes the cloak from Ethan's shoulders and the damage on his arms is disastrous.

Silence. The only sound comes from the two human guards, who pant hard and I only then realize their smeared faces and the bandages. They also already had a hard night and day as it seems.

The butcher is slowly rising to his feet. He starts deeply chuckling from within his throat and I finally fully understand the rumors about this man. His heated body vaporizes the water I just threw over him and the death spirits seem to come to live, emerging from his body as light smoke.

As he raises his chin, I can see the burnt piece of his face, giving me a glimpse of his raw jawbone. The pain is clearly written on his blistered face but he keeps on chuckling instead of the tears every other vampire would shed. He really looks like a demon.

A deep growl signals that he wants to say something and it is only then when I realize that Connor is holding him so he can stand straight. He tries once more and this time words form from his lips.

"Report!" he barks and the two men in uniform straight out saluting him. "Yes, Sir!" they reply unison. "We have three carriages with us. Our convoy has some of the council members with us, but mostly those wounded the worst. We followed Lady Blackwood's orders, Sir!"

Ethan nods and putting an arm around Connor's neck to fully lean on him. "The next carriages left about an hour after us, but we are running short on horses so we promised to send them back as soon as possible," the other human tells Ethan and he nods once again.

"Alfred, you'll take over the logistics to bring in the wounded humans first. The ones who are able to walk on their own need to come here and get supplies to do the first aid for the vampires in the carriages," the Butcher presses the words out of his lips with a lisp.

"Clyde," he then starts but needs to take a deep breath before keep on talking, "you will make sure that the carriages will get hidden. We cannot park them all at the same spot without raising unwanted attention. I'd figure it out but I guess..." It is then when his knees give in and I can see the sweat on his forehead.

I come to hold his other side. That stupid bastard of a rebel.

"I guess I need a little rest first," he finishes his sentence and the two guards salute once more in front of him. "Wait..." he says once more before the humans can leave.

"Did you bring Dr. Johnson with you?" I really thought he would ask for Tristan or Miss Lavertu first.

The humans exchange a look before the one named Clyde speaks up. "Yes, Sir."

"What is it?"

"He is unconscious and we were not able to wake him as of yet," he tells us. Ethan nods. "Never mind then..." With that, the two humans get out just to start opening the gates a little more and do as Ethan told them.

"Thank you," I can the Butcher murmur as I let Connor bring him to the cave wall to rest and heal. The muscles around his bare bones are forming ridiculously fast. "I guess you thank me for the night you had with your lover, because I never saw someone healing that fast."

He smirks. "Indeed. Tristan makes me strong."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.6K 835 51
After the events of Swanston, Killian-Grey struggles to prove himself to the group after being branded as a traitor--especially when competing with h...
1.7M 45.5K 27
What if I told you those fairytale creatures were real? That werewolves and vampires really do hate each other? You would say that I was crazy right...
873 14 49
" I scrub and scrub trying to make it go away. I'd happily go back to walking around internally dead than whatever this is. Watching the crimson sub...