My Dunya (NEEDS EDITING)

By samukasoo

From opposite sides of the tracks comes a novel of two unprecedented lovers. Dunya Kareem and Cameron Miller... More

Prologue
Chapter 1- Detention
Chapter 2- That's How I Roll
Chapter 3- Game On
Chapter 4- GOOOOAL!!!
Chapter 5- Memory Lane
Chapter 6- Headaches & Promises
Chapter 7- Pranking Ibby?
Chapter 8- Thanks Dr. Phil
Chapter 10- Yes to the Dress
Chapter 11- Babysitting Mishaps
Chapter 12- Kiwi Tarts?
Chapter 13- Hospital Tendencies
Chapter 14- Cameron's POV
Chapter 15- Wedding and Dabke-ing
Chapter 16- All is Fair in Love and War
Chapter 17- Well You're an Angel
Chapter 18- Make Me Strong
Chapter 19- When Emotion Becomes Commotion
Chapter 20- Congrats, Brother!
Chapter 21- Generous Beginnings
Chapter 22- Love Hurts
Chapter 23- So Now You Know
Chapter 24- And We Just Are
Chapter 25- Stage Four
Chapter 26- God is the Best of Planners
Chapter 27- The End

Chapter 9- A-ray-bic

31.1K 1K 361
By samukasoo

CHAPTER 9

UNEDITED 

"Wow, it's beautiful MashaAllah (Glory be to God/ used to express praise or admiration)," I marveled at Adam and Sumaya's engagement rings as they displayed them for me to see several days later. Adam wouldn't let me see his until Sumaya was here so they could show them to me together. Don't ask me why, that boy has a mind of his own.

"And the best part is," Teta's voice erupted into an excited chirp, "they were on sale!" Adam and Sumaya looked at one another and began chuckling. Or so she thought. Adam's always telling Teta things that he buys are on sale so she doesn't get concerned over his spending habits.

"But they actually were," Adam said to me earnestly. I eyed the shiny silver bands on both their rings carefully, looking at every signature detail. They truly were very beautiful rings. I'm so happy for the both of them.

"So Dunya," Sumaya said to me shyly. "I was thinking that we might go wedding shopping next week. I know everything's running pretty fast but we both figured we might as well get it done before we start uni again. That way, my family can stay here with my dad's job and all, and Adam and I can rent a condo or something in Ohio." Adam looked at her in adoration, and I thought it was just so cute.

"Wow," I said in disbelief, "I can't believe everything is happening so fast. I mean, you guys are getting married in less than two months. Yeah, the planning is going to be hectic."

"We just figured it'd be easier to do it now that we're on our break than coming back later on and having it interfere with schooling," Adam explained.

"Yeah, that makes sense. I'd do the same thing if I were you two," I told them honestly. Sumaya clasped her hands excitedly and turned to Adam with a plastered smile on her face.

"I'm finally going to have the sister I've always wanted," I nudged Adam watching his expression turned into somewhat disgust.

"Okay no, your sister in law," he corrected. "Cause if she's your sister, then she'd have to be mine too, and there is no way she's being my sister," he teased. Oh Adam. I pushed him lightly.

We all went to the living room and talked for a bit once my mom came about the wedding and vague plans for it, and I was so excited, having so many ideas I wanted to incorporate. I absolutely love weddings. The perks of having so many relatives, whether they are close or distant are that I always get to go to weddings. And I mean a lot of them, so you could say I'm very well informed when it comes to that subject. Teta, Mama, Sumaya and I were chatting away about the wedding and Adam sat there on his phone clearly bored. It irritated me without a doubt, but that was Adam for you. It's his own wedding and I'm even more excited about it than he is. Or maybe it's just a girl thing?

By the time Sumaya had to leave, I was practically counting down the days until the wedding shopping. It was going to be so much fun. I could hardly wait. Because Adam was taking Sumaya home, Teta went with them, and that left me at home with Mama.

"Mama, since Adam and Teta already left, could you take me to the mosque? I'm volunteering at the evening class there for the little children." I asked her hoping she'd be able to give me a ride, or else I'd have to take the dreaded bus. I'm just that lazy.

"Okay, sure, I just have to finish the dishes, and I'll, wait, on second thought, seeing as you're not doing anything, you do them and I'll get changed!" She snickered and practically skipped upstairs.

I rolled my eyes jokingly and headed to the kitchen where I started getting out the dish soap and squirting the remains into the sink full of warm water. Just then the doorbell rang and I left the kitchen to go open the door. I was surprised to say the least at seeing Cameron Miller standing in the doorframe.

"Hey, chaparrita," he sang, kicking his Nike shoes off and entering as if I invited him in.

"Hi Cameron, please come on in," I mumbled sarcastically shutting the door behind him. I went back to the kitchen and grabbed a pear out of our fruit basket and took a bite out of it.

"So, what are you doing here?" My eyes narrowed at him suspiciously.

"Oh you know, just came to talk to Teta about getting a raise, by the way, where is she?" he asked curiously.

"She's out with Adam, and you can't be serious?" I laughed. "You've been working at the shoppe for a week!"

"So?" he asked, the edges of his lips turning up into a smirk before grabbing the luscious pear out of my hand and taking a huge bite from it. "I'm doing such a great job, I just figured the honorary means of encouragement would do me some justice, and plus," he paused to finish chewing the bite, "she loves me," he just shrugged.

"Hey, I was eating that," I pouted, stomping my foot like a two year, arms folded. "No fair!"

"You want it back?" he challenged, before licking the entire pear, slobbering all over it and holding it in front of my face by the stem.

I cringed stepping back. "Ew, no." I wrinkled my nose in disgust. He just chucked in amusement.

"But why didn't you just call? Here in the twenty-first century, in a well-developed country, we use cell phones. You don't have to go door to door knocking anymore. Plus, you're too much of a nuisance," I grumbled.

"Well, if I had you're number, it wouldn't be too much of a nuisance, now would it?" He remarked, arms folded mimicking me, as he taped his foot impatiently waiting for a reply.

"Ugh, just give me your phone," I demanded and he handed it over happily. I typed my number into his phone and gave it back.

Mama came back down the stairs all dressed up in a fancy long black skirt and dark blue blouse and topped it off with a sparkly black scarf. She looked very elegant and pretty.

"Dunya, I almost forgot about the dinner tonight at the mosque. That's before the evening classes start, so you can still make it," she assured. Oh man, how could I forget? Every couple months, our mosque hosts this community dinner with a guest speaker and a guest qari (quran reciter) usually from a different country. I've even helped plan tonight's dinner as part of the volunteer committee, so I was shocked that even I forgot about it too.

"You guys are going to the mosque now?" Cameron asked seeming a little disappointed.

"Yes, and your mother is invited as well I believe, since she's on the WAG committee," she told him. "She comes every year," she smiled.

"Oh, okay," he nodded.

"Cameron, you can come too if you want," my mom added seeing his disappointment.

"I really shouldn't, I wasn't invited or anything," he sulked. Man, he's such a kid.

"It's open for everyone," I piped. "You can come, trust me, you'd be more than welcome."

My mom practically dragged him outside and into our car, but he looked in no means uncomfortable, which I found fascinating. In fact, they were talking up a storm by the time we started hitting an unfamiliar neighborhood.

"Mama, where are we? You think after seventeen years, you know where the mosque is," I exclaimed.

"Oh hush, I'm trying out the new GPS system Adam bought me, but it's taking me into weird places in town," she remarked. "Oh screw technology, I'm taking the back road," she said.

Jus before she put the car in reversed, she paused to open the window and let some fresh air in. "Mmmm," she bubbled. "Smells like someone's making a barbeque."

Cameron and I rolled down our windows and sniffed the neighboring air, "That's marijuana!" we both proclaimed in unison. We looked at each other and burst out laughing. My mom's face turned red and she shook her head furiously.

"I had no idea," she gasped clearly embarrassed. Cameron, on the other hand, couldn't stop laughing, and I could actually see tears forming in his eyes. My sides began to hurt and I tried to take deep breaths to suppress my chuckles.

"Aw man," Cameron said breathlessly. "That honestly made my day."

Luckily, my mom ditched the GPS and we were at the mosque in 3 minutes flat. As we exited the car, Cameron viewed the mosque observantly.

"So Cameron, do you go to church often?" I asked, assuming he was Christian.

"Well, we did when I was young," he said hesitantly. "But not anymore. It was more of a ritual than anything," he explained. "And I just lost touch as I grew up I guess. I mean, I still believe in God," he tried to convey. "I just-"

"Lost the connection." I finished off for him.

"Yeah, something like that," he said a beautifully radiant smile forming on his face. I felt like a fangirl right that moment. But that full-faced smile had so much meaning and radiance to it, it was hard to ignore. I looked back at him, and he was still looking at me with a now calmer grin but even more so, his eyes were sparkling bright green, noticeable even from where I was standing. A shy smile grew onto my face as I looked away immediately, instantly feeling my face heat up. My God, what's happening to me?

We entered the mosque and headed for the hall where most of the events took place. I saw a bunch of my friends there geared up in their volunteer shirts ready to serve the dinner. I felt guilty instantly about not helping them, but I figured that helping out Cameron now would be even more beneficial.

I went up to my friend Layla and gave her a hug. "Dunya, we're ditching our duties, now are we?" she asked playfully. Layla was a bit taller than me, had the milkiest white skin I've ever seen, and paired with the darkest doe eyes and silky black hair (although she wore hijab full-time) that made her look like Snow White. She truly is a Turkish beauty MashaAllah.

"Honestly, I completely forgot about it. If it weren't for my mom remembering, I would've just come here for the evening classes," I claimed. "I can still help if you guys need it," I tried.

"Nah, we're fine, the volunteer turnout was more than we were expecting anyway," she replied calmly.

"Umm, Dunya," my other friend Tasneem approached us. She was the shortest of us three and had perfectly tanned skin unlike Layla's, and mine being she was from Egypt. She comes from a loud and very fun family of 9 and going to her house is always an adventure. "There's a hunk over there staring at you."

I looked back to see Cameron and just shrugged it off. "Oh, that's just Cameron, a guy from school," I told them.

"That's all you're going to tell us? Really?" she asked arms crossed with a serious face but then began to loosen up. "Cause by the looks of it, I can tell he's not just some guy from school."

I do trust my friends, honestly I do, but I'm not a person to go telling them about silly little crushes when they obviously are pointless. It's not like there is any potential for it. So there's no use.

"Tasneem, let it go. She'll tell us when the time comes, don't pressure her," Layla persuaded to my rescue. God bless that girl, she's a gem.

Luckily, Tasneem did in fact let it go, and we changed the topic back to the dinner. But our conversation was cut short as the dinner program was starting.  Went to our table and grabbed a seat beside my mom and Cameron. First came along the qari who travelled all the way from Morocco to get here. And boy was it worth it. MashaAllah his voice was absolutely angelic and mesmerizing. As he started on saying Bismillah (in the name of God), his voice erupted into a harmonic range of rhythms that left everyone dazed. His recitation shook walls and reached hearts. It was so powerful and heartwarming at the same time, it made it all the more beautiful.

I looked over to Cameron and saw his jaw hanging wide open and his eyes bulging out of their sockets. I didn't know whether to take it as a negative reaction or not, but I focused on the latter. He seemed shocked, but I just hope it was in a positive manner.

The good thing about the Quranic recitation was that since it was in Arabic, there was someone there to translate the passage being recited verse by verse. And the passage was Surat Al-Rahman, one of my favorite surahs (chapters).

7. And the heaven He has raised high, and He has set up the Balance.

8. In order that you may not transgress (due) balance.

9. And observe the weight with equity and do not make the balance deficient.

I closed my eyes concentrating, and sat back soaking up every beautifully described word as the therapeutic voice continued.

17. (He is) the Lord of the two easts (places of sunrise during early summer and early winter) and the Lord of the two wests (places of sunset during early summer and early winter).

18. Then which of the Blessings of your Lord will you both (jinns and men) deny?

19. He has let loosed the two seas (the salt water and the sweet) meeting together.

20. Between them is a barrier which none of them can transgress.

21. Then which of the Blessings of your Lord will you both (jinns and men) deny?

22. Out of them both come out pearl and coral.

23. Then which of the Blessings of your Lord will you both (jinns and men) deny?

Once the recitation was finished, there was a guest speaker, which was Hamza Yusuf today who came to talk to us about uplifting our spiritual selves to allow the goodness of creation to inspire change. Hamza Yusuf is one of my favorite speakers and every time he talks, I'm just so fixated and his words speak straight to my heart.

Right when his speech was nearing the end, I heard a faint grumbling noise and could feel my tummy rumble. It was so embarrassing, as the whole hall was dead silent and then my stomach just had to go all cave man on me. All eyes turned my way and I could feel my face heating up pretty fast. My mom gave me a stern look, clearly embarrassed by my unintentional doing, but hey, it's not like I could help it. I heard Cameron's chuckling and I shot him a look. That made him try to suppress his laughter but he ended up choking and that's when it was my turn to laugh. Layla came and gave Cameron a glass of water giving me a questioning glance. All I could do was shrug. When the speech was finally over, the hall got loud again and it relieved me.

"Looks like someone was hungry," Cameron heckled.

"Oh please, you're the one who was dying from thirst," I shot back, letting a smile escape my lips.

"I'd love to have a teasing argument all day, but the food is over there," he said pointing to the buffet tables. "And I'm here, so that doesn't add up," he said dead set. I just rolled my eyes. "Come on," he said more earnestly. "Let's eat."

While we were waiting in line, I decided to ask him about what he thought of the Quran recitation and the speech. I was really interested in knowing what he thought about him.

"So Cameron, how did you find the Quran recitation?" I asked. I had explained earlier that the qari was reciting from our holy book, the Quran, and gave him the jist of how he reads in slow, rhythmic tones to help beautify the meaning further, and to allow for a deep understanding. At first he thought the qari was singing.

"It was amazing," he proclaimed shoving a piece of chicken in his mouth. "I mean, I've never heard anything like it before," he said astonished. "It was so moving, you know? Like... like peace in your heart. God, I sound like a girl," he laughed. I just looked up at him and smiled in admiration. He had no idea how much his words affected me. It was so wonderful to hear him so pleased by a means of a spiritual and religious fact. I know he isn't religious in any way, so finding peace in his heart is really what it comes down to. If I can make that happen, than it would mean the world knowing I've done him good.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" he asked giving me a lopsided smirk that completely threw me off guard.

"Like what?" I stammered.

"I don't know, you look like you've just seen Channing Tatum or something," he said so casually and obliviously.

"Oh, um, nothing," I muttered quickly.

"Hey, do you think I could take a picture with the guy who was reciting? He has real talent," he said genuinely.

"Wha- oh yeah sure," I agreed getting over my shock quickly. I saw Ibby across the hall and he waved. I waved back. "Maybe Ibby can-"

"Here, why don't you come with me?" he asked cutting me off. Did he have something against Ibby? I don't see why he would since Ibby's so nice.

I reluctantly followed him up to the Qari and asked him in Arabic if Cameron could take a picture with him. He agreed and was smiling so pleased.

"Is he a convert MashaAllah?" the Qari asked in Arabic referring to Cameron. I shook my head, smiling at the fact that he thought Cameron was a Muslim.

"May Allah guide him and help him find the path to internal and eternal happiness InshaAllah," he made a du'aa. 

"InshaAllah," I agreed. Cameron looked at me puzzled and I explained. 

"Tell him I say thanks," he said impatiently and I did.

I took the picture of them both and began thanking the qari and was handing Cameron's phone back when Cameron suggested I join them both in another picture. I figured, hey, why not? I motioned for a random person to come and asked them to take a picture. Once the flash went off, my smile dropped and I went to go see how it turned out. I always look bad in pictures; it's a horrible curse.

I examined the picture, taking in how dashing Cameron looks, his hair swept into perfection, his clothing looking so casual and refined. The qari looked so traditional in his Moroccan wear, inclusing a fez (a red hat with a black tassel attatched to the top), a djellabah (long, loose-fitting outer robe with full sleeves and a hood). He also had a pair of balghas on (soft heelless leather slippers). And then there was me standing awkwardly to the side smiling at the camera wide with an overly exaggerated smile. 

"Ew, I look horrible in that picture," I commented, but Cameron just looked at me with a bewildered look.

 "Hey, don't give me that look, I was just stating a fact," I informed.  Cameron took the phone from my hands and began typing away. "Hey, I was looking at that!" I protested.

A smug smile crept up his face and he replied wittingly, "You can look at it all you want cause I just made it my new Facebook profile picture." I'm not sure how long it took me to process what he just said because my mind went into total chaos and shock and I couldn't believe it. 

"You did what?!?" I shrieked. I stole the phone from his grasp and looked to find that indeed he had made it his profile picture. The writing underneath had said: Had an amazing new experience with some wonderful people. And he tagged me in it too. Oh my gosh. I... can't... even.

I didn't know whether to be flattered or furious. I looked at it again to see that it already seventy-nine likes. He posted it exactly two minute ago. How is that even possible. I looked at the comments. 

Looking good bro.

Glad you had fun ;)

Who's that girl?

"I can't believe you just did that," I buried my face in my hands not willing to accept what he just did. ninety-six likes. One fifty-one. Two sixty-four. How many friends did this guy have?

"Well, you better believe it chaparrita," he grinned like the idiot he was. "Oh, and you want to introduce me to your friends over there? They've been staring at us like we're Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie."

As stupid as it sounds, my heart skipped a beat when he said us and then compared us to Brad and Angie. I decided to get my mind off what he said by indeed introducing them to him. They smiled at him authentically and then I felt my pocket vibrate, as I got a text from Layla.

Yeah, I'm sorry, I can't wait until you're ready; we have to talk, like ASAP.

 Once we finished eating at our table, I had to get up seeing as time was narrowing down. I still had my volunteering at the evening class to do. "Dunya, where are you going?" Cameron asked getting out of his chair. 

"I have to volunteer at the evening classes now," I told him, putting my utensils down on the plate. 

"What are you going to do there?" he asked curious. 

"Oh I'm helping to teach Quran," I informed him. 

He paused for a bit, seeming unsure of what he was about what he was about to say. Contemplating his next move. But then his egotistic and boastful side of him returned. "Okay, I'm coming too. You're going to teach me Arabic, Dunya," he stated matter-of-factly.

"Oh will I, now?" I asked hand on hip, wagging my finger in a sassy manner.

"Please Dunya, would you do me the honor," be bowed and looked up at me expectantly. "To show me your expertise in the foreign language of Arabic?" He asked pronouncing the word as A-ray-bic, and rolling the "r".

"Hmmm," I said tapping my chin acting like I was thinking about it. "Okay, Cameron, I will take you in as my student," I finally revealed, and his smile widened, grinning from ear to ear.

Hey everyone!!! So finally chapter 9 is here! After some debating, I've decided to move the big chapter to the next one. I'm sure it will surprise you :) So I hope you like this one, and please COTE + VOMMENT!!! I love reading all your comments :) A huge thanks to everyone for helping us reach 9K reads! Woot woot! You guys are amazing!! :* Anyway, please vote/comment/share/fan whatever floats your boat :) By the way, to the side is a video of Abdul Basit, a famous qari reciting Surah Al-Rahman. Please do hear it out, it's amazing MashaAllah. God bless! <3

~S

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

106K 5.6K 15
These characters are fictional and is ONLY a story. Cameron as Toni ( A German model ) Maryam as Habbiba Da Salvia ( Hijabi model) ...
150K 8.3K 23
Sara Haji was a seventeen year old muslimah going through her last highschool year with her best friend Mary. What she never expected was for Chase P...
34K 1.5K 43
Not everyone's trust issues come from failed relationships. Sometimes, it comes from the family and friends closest to us. Griffin Miller and Parker...
346K 18.4K 32
Amara Mahmoud is a 20-year-old, Muslim girl who is in her fourth year of undergraduate studies. She has a loving family and the most amazing best fri...