Nomvula

By nelakho

A pacifist with a war god trapped in her bones must decide between stirring her demons or watching her allies... More

1 - The Prince
2 - The Price
3 - The Queen's Mother
4 - The Children
5 - The Drinking Yard
6 - An Enemy's Name
7 - The Old Ones
8 - The Children of Violence
9 - The Faces of Gems
10 - The General
11 - The Princeling
12 - A Reprieve of Sorts
13 - The Dreams That Wait For Us
14 - Lifa
15 - Midnight Sunrise
16 - Home Is A Three-Legged Pot
17 - And Many Are The Hands That Feed Us
18 - The Son
20 - Ndlovu
21 - The Pride of Elephants
22 - The Folly of Lions
23 - The Lands That Divide Us
24 - The Rivers That Stitch Us Together
25 - A Council of Crones
26 - The Seeds of Peace
27 - The Shoots of Life
28 - The Fruits of War
29 - Pulp
30 - The Glass Lids
31. Of Blind Eyes Closed
32 - The Thorns of the Spirit
33 - A Den of Lions
34 - Blood
35 - Tears
36 - And The Oil of Souls
37 - The Soul of Soils
38 - Peace Only To The Flesh
39 - The Crown of Third Hill
40 - The Glass Shell
41. The Dark Earth
42. The Coming Sun
43. The Colliding Stars
44. Monster
45. Mother
46. A Good Autumn Day
47. A Bridge Built
48. A Bridge Crossed
49. And On The Other Side
50. A Bridge Burned
51. The Eastern Storm
52. And It's Thunder
53. And Its Weight
54. And All Its Blinding Light
55. Warmaker
56. Dumani
57. Son of Kani
58. Daughter of Nomvula
59. Bound of Third Hill
60. Mathematician of the Gold Ring
61. Asanda
62. Epilogue
Director's Commentary

19 - Silt

1.8K 226 39
By nelakho

A strong rain season had filled the Wayfarer to the brim, and the East Storm sat high on the water. The river was so wide that an arrow shot from one bank wouldn't make it a fifth of the way before it disappeared into a pale blue mirror. Nomvula leaned on the railings, and pointed to the nine other ships in view.

"The three on that end are the fastest, used mostly for patrol and pursuit," she explained to the small party on the deck. "Those two skiffs — nimble enough to chase a shark through a canyon."

Dumani laughed. "A fisher's armada, Ndlovu must tremble at the sight."

"Ndlovu doesn't tremble," Nomvula said, "but he'd need gills to sneak past all three of our blockades."

That brought a smile to the East Storm's captain, who oversaw five blockades. Nomvula made a quiet note to keep the rest a secret from him too.

"Ndlovu's land force outnumbers yours twice over," Dumani said. "You've bet everything on controlling the Wayfarer."

If I had everything I'd never gamble.

"Only it's surface, General. Ndlovu's hoards are free to march on the riverbed."

"The Great Elephant has ships of his own, doesn't he?"

Nomvula turned away from the river's glare. "Boats. Ndlovu has boats, not ships, and every time he puts one on the water, our aim improves."

"There's a rumour that your archers are launching some interesting arrows..."

"If they could fit in a quiver, we'd have called them arrows."

Dumani cut a sharp-toothed smile. "For someone so proud of their cowardice, you do look proud of your military."

"I don't seek conflict," Nomvula said seriously.

"None of us do, Queen, not even the gods of war." He spoke quietly, almost sincerely. "You and I, we're called to seek resolutions. When times are good, we're an eyesore."

"Times were good until a day ago, General."

"Now look at you," he pressed on, "walking with purpose, dressed like the world needs conquering again."

"The world needs fewer conquerors, not more."

"Then cut them in half instead of calling them for lunch," Dumani said gravely. "Because if I were Ndlovu, I'd send your invitation back with most of its messenger."

Nomvula looked over the rest of the party on deck, all waiting at a respectful distance away.  Jabu kept an eye on the planks between his feet, and three Inner Plains guards kept an eye on him.

"How fortunate, then, that some of us don't punish messengers," Nomvula said.

A keen eye in the watchtower blew a horn, and half the East Storm crew disappeared below deck. The other half took position along a row of crossbows bolted to the floor.

Nomvula faced the Elephant Plains. "That'll either be Ndlovu or most of my messenger."

It was an army.

Ndlovu's soldiers swarmed the hillside, appearing almost out of nowhere. Their shields were thick hide painted with ochre; sunlight glinted on the face of a thousand spears. It was a testament to their training that they crept all that way without being detected.

In a recurring nightmare, they had the ships to make it count.

"Captain, send a raft out to meet them," Nomvula said. The order rolled off her tongue. "One rower, no weapons, as promised." She spotted Ndlovu along the bank, a towering figure on the front line. "If they try any tricks... well, General Dumani wants to know what makes the new arrows so interesting."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79.2K 8K 42
MISTBORN x GAME OF THRONES *Wattpad YA profile Featured story* If Cadence had said no to a blood spirit, the noble family she worked for would still...
12.2K 941 83
After a hunting expedition goes awry and Hombarume shoots the Prince while he shape-shifts into an unknown creature, he must clear his name and prov...
29.7K 626 164
What does it mean to Find Content? This is the question that Genesia, for "New Beginnings" and Neosa, for "One Sanctuary", seek to answer. As identi...
1.9K 355 43
Once again a queen, Winter has a budding army and plenty to offer them to keep them loyal. Besides expanding her territory, she is using her forces t...