Through Her Eyes (2Yeon)

By deathlessly

My life can't get any better than this. I mean, I'm blind and all but I suppose there are conditions worse th... More

i. Walking Stick
ii. Leather Jacket Day
iii. Rehearse
iv. New Face
v. 2 Busy 4 Me
vi. Stone Cold
vii. Talented Confession
viii. The Things I'd Do To You (extra chapter)
ix. Sweet Talker
x. Look At Me
xi. Overcommunicate
xii. Answers from the Other Side
xiii. Fight Club
xv. Fluttering Feelings
xvi. Give It A Try
xvii. Hit or Miss
xviii. Truth or Pizza
xix. Midnight Blue
xx. Kiss & Tell
xxi. Word Doc
xxii. Walk This Way
xxiii. Breathe
xxiv. Room of Gloom
xxv. Epiphany
xxvi. Live and Let Live
xxvii. The Life
xxviii. Voicemail
xxix. Reconcile (Part 1)
XXX. Recollect (Part 2)
xxxi. Angel Without Wings
xxxii. One Q
xxxiii. Healed
xxxiv. Live with Raison D'etre (EPILOGUE)
Comments, Questions, Concerns (?)
Your questions ANSWERED

xiv. I Care

1.7K 85 136
By deathlessly

The chilly air welcomed the pair of giggling girls as they went on their way down the sidewalk. By this hour, traffics seemed to be slowing down. The amount of passing cars became lesser with each step they took. Mina had her arms hooked with Nayeon's, acting as her main support system while Nayeon navigated her way, nonetheless, with her walking stick in the other hand. It gave her a pleasant feeling, to share her warmth instead of the lingering coldness in the air that wrapped around her body.

Their original plan was to head to the park and venture around, for Nayeon to get some fresh air and clear her head. She would prefer it than driving. Mina insisted that they go together and she would be a substitute for her walking cane but ended up pretentiously becoming her guide. Both girls didn't mind either option. Mina was telling Nayeon about the time Jihyo poured green peas in Tzuyu's bed.

"You've got to be kidding me."

Nayeon snorted loudly, shifting her head to Mina every few seconds and then straight ahead at the sidewalk.

Mina giggled softly, her cheeks spreading wider into a warm gummy smile. She tried to ease her laughter so she could finish with her anecdote.

"I really wish I was. But she actually did put peas in her bed. They were dried though. We were having a sleepover and Tzuyu suddenly screamed. I was still brushing my teeth at that time and rushed to see what happened. We ALL laughed. And spent an hour laughing while Tzuyu chased Jihyo with a butcher knife."

Feeling her losing breath as she exhaled a boastful howl, Mina clung on to Nayeon's arm. She nearly stumbled with her stepping, making Nayeon the one to push her back up while the two shared more squeals of fun. It was within the back of Nayeon's head that she tried not to appear to wince at the thought of Tzuyu holding a deadly weapon and charging at someone as bubbly and precious as Jihyo.

Shaking her head to get the horrendous idea out, Nayeon threw her head back to cast another bellowing laugh. Her spontaneous attitude was contagious, causing Mina to laugh along with her in a glorious cacophony. Their noisy ruckus was reeling in some stares. A man passing by, with his car window down, saw the girls laughing like they were insane and gave them a weird look before turning back to the road. The pair of girls were calming down from yodeling when Mina spotted a woman in a teal tracksuit speed walking with her dog. Something switched on in Mina to give her the mission of petting the dog. She dragged Nayeon down as she stepped in front of the woman, stopping them on the sidewalk.

"Hi, miss. Is it alright if we could pet your dog? He's just so cute!"

The woman saw no harm in this and briskly nodded her head, her earphones moving along casually. Mina clapped for joy and kneeled down with Nayeon to give the little puppy a good ear scratch. The other girl understood why they had paused and grew eager to pet the dog.

"Hey, boy."
Mina made sure to check beforehand, going behind the little dog's ears to scratch. He barked happily, waving his head around to rotate the areas for Mina to get.
"Look. I'm gonna make it simple for you."
She noticed the little dog's technique and smiled brightly from ear to ear, wallowing in how adorable he was. Reaching up with her other hand, she used it to grab Nayeon's hand and place it on the puppy's back.

"He's so soft."
Nayeon beamed excitedly, rubbing the dog's back with her hand like a brush. Mina saw the look of joy on her face. She couldn't help but smile admiringly at that.

Looking down and watching the two together, the woman gave the two a sweet smile. She glanced at her watch and had to cut the girl's petting session a bit short.

Mina showed the puppy a pouty face. She lightly kissed him on the nose.
"See you later, boy ."

Taking Nayeon's arm away and standing up, Mina waved a hand at the dog. He gave an upset whine, the wagging of his tail slowing down a bit.

Directing her attention away from her whining puppy, the woman looked at Mina who smiled at once again, thanking her for giving them the time of day.
"You and your girlfriend should get a dog together if you haven't already."

At the mention of that, Mina's smiled fragilely dropped, her face muscles twitching from the sudden release. She knew extremely well that Nayeon heard that. Mina tensed up, the grip on Nayeon's arm loosened. With a nervous chuckle, Mina gave the woman an apprehensive look.

"Oh. Sh-she's not..umm.."

Mina's cheeks filled up with a rosy color, her smile unwavering. She tried to find the words to end her claim but all she could do was stand there while a complete stranger stared at her weirdly. That was a good enough answer for the woman before smiling again and proceeding to move with her dog. That gave Mina the motive to get going to the park, where Nayeon usually goes. She tugged Nayeon's arm, who followed giddily, feeling rejuvenated after petting the puppy. Her weak knees slightly gave in, stumbling into Mina's arms.

   "Be careful!"
Mina called out in concern, scrambling to hold Nayeon upright like she was a wobbling drunk. Nayeon felt awful, bowing her head as she apologized. She didn't wanna be anymore of an inconvenience to Mina, but the other girl didn't see a problem with wanting to keep her company.

"Sorry, Minari. I'm such a ditz."
   Shaking her head and turning down Nayeon's apology, Mina gave her a cheerful grin before looking ahead of them.

"You just got up way to quick. It's my fault for pulling you up so fast."

They two girls were only able to take a couple of steps when a white van came around the corner. Mina instantly perked up, shaking Nayeon furiously with their arms still interlocked. This could be the perfect cover up to take the other girl's mind off from whatever she heard back there from the woman.

"Nayeon! There's an ice cream truck! Do you want some?"
Mina turned her head, bouncing up and down like a child on a sugar high. She secretly wanted Nayeon to say yes. Out of habit, Mina squeezed Nayeon's arm, somehow affecting her decision.

Ice cream? In this weather? I guess I could for it some since Mina seems to really want to.

Nayeon lifted her shoulders up to give one slow and nonchalant shrug. She would rather have Mina make all the decisions than for Nayeon to tell her what to do. It made her feel less of a pain and more like a follower. Mina's soft smile was soon replaced by a puzzled stare as she saw the ice cream truck pass the entrance of the park. She needed to think fast. Inch by inch, the white desert vehicle was leering farther away from the pair.

"Nabongs! Meet me at the gate. I'm gonna go catch that van."

Mina's eyes lit up with determination, assertive to be successful on the tiny quest she created. Nayeon was unsure whether to cancel on getting ice cream. Before she could protest, Mina had already released their arms and was running down the sidewalk.

"Wha-Mina?!"

She could still hear Nayeon's voice calling out to her but it only fueled her. Although Mina's never had a thirst for adventure, chasing after an ice cream truck was out of reach from her comfort zone. Picking up the pace, as much as her penguin legs could carry, Mina flapped one arm in the air. Luckily, the driver wasn't distracted and easily saw her flailing around. He peacefully parked on the side and opened the truck's window.

"Ahh, hello there. Sorry to have chased you all the way since the park."

Mina could barely say a word without needing to strongly inhale several times. Her steps decreasing as she looked up at the friendly man smiling down at her. Putting a heavy arm on the counter, Mina hoisted her body up to get a better look.

"In that case, I'll have one..."

"Nayeon! I got it!"

Her excited squeal made Nayeon break away from her unsettling thoughts, stopping herself from drawing random things on the ground with her foot. Mina saw the other standing by the gates, waving her walking stick from side to side. She brightened when she was reminded of her tiny motive to get the ice cream. Nayeon held her hand out, awaiting the cold treat to fill her palms. Mina handed it to her with a bright smile, getting right to licking the dripping sides of her cone before it melted any further.

"What did you get me?"

Grasping the spoon in her hand, surprised that Mina gave her one. She poked into the dessert, scooping up a giant spoonful. Her whole body froze over, the shape of her eyes stretching with pure shock.

"Mocha pan fried ice cream."
By the time Mina finished her sentence, she was already half way finished with her own.
"To be extra. I asked for toppings. Oreo bits. It's cute that he added a lil wafer."
Mina held her head up with class, feeling proud of her exquisite taste for frozen desserts.

Hearing Mina announce the flavor with such detail made Nayeon feel different, a bit ruffled. The dessert was without a doubt packing with flavor. It's just that Nayeon has never ate something like this. Out of spite, she stopped eating and turned to Mina.

"What's your flavor, Minari?"

"Chocolate."

Wait...did she just say chocolate?

"Is it a single scoop?"

Mina would've taken Nayeon's questions to be ordinary, if Nayeon's tone when asking wasn't so pushy. It's like she wanted a distinct answer from Mina or else she would ask again until she found it.

"Uhh..yes."

That's when it hit her. Nayeon was able to understand why she had reacted that way. She stayed in her stiff posture, her free hand staying limp to her side as her head faced away from Mina's direction. Nayeon's mind gradually wandered back to an old incident. Mina's voice faded into the background.

Nayeon saw herself and the other person in front of an ice cream van. She was digging into mocha pan friend ice cream topped with oreo bits and whipped cream, and a single strawberry waffle stick on the side. Her dream self turned her head to see the other person buying a single chocolate cone. Catching the sight of that gave her a bit of nostalgia. She felt that she knew someone who favored that type of plain dessert.

It could only be a coincidence.

"Nayeon!"

Mina's voice came back into range, Nayeon falling out of her trance. She shook her head a few times, a permanent frown glued to her face as Nayeon dropped her head to apologize.

"S-sorry. Just deja vu."

Mina frowned at this, seeing Nayeon's abrupt switch of demeanor. She put a hand on the other girl's shoulder, squeezing it to calm her down.

"You were so out of it. You even dropped your ice cream."

"AHH ARE YOU SERIOUS?"

Jeongyeon kicked her feet a couple of times to occupy herself. She was thinking deeply about her situation with Nayeon. They hadn't spoken to each other in nearly three weeks since her confession. Two days have passed since she saw Nayeon all rattled up.

That night.

Jeongyeon had a million questions to ask but held her tongue. She didn't know what Nayeon had gotten herself into, but she only feared the worst from it. Now that they had lost somewhat of a connection with one another, Jeongyeon felt so useless. She missed being by Nayeon's side and comforting her whenever need be. Her house had always been a second home to Jeongyeon but when she first stepped into the empty home again, it felt like someone else's property. They even spoke to each other as if they were enemies.

Tightly holding on to the ledge, Jeongyeon shut her eyes, closing herself from any feeling. The coldness of the water below her feet added to the numbing sensation that crept along her arms, making its way to other parts of her body. She gripped on to it, adding more force, as if she would slip away if she didn't find solid ground to hold on to.

Tiny bubbles stated forming in the middle of the pool, the movement of the water slowing down. Jihyo emerged from the surface, taking a deep gulp of hair. Her hair pushed back like a rapid whip. Entranced by the euphoric breath of air from surfacing, Jihyo was close to not noticing the infuriated Jeongyeon still pressing her palms deeper into the edge of the pool.

If I threw myself in and drowned, would Nabongs notice me then?

No, I can't. I'm too great of a swimmer to even do that on purpose.

"JEONGYEON!" Jihyo called out from the other side, diving right back in to reach her.

From the loud boom of Jihyo's voice, Jeongyeon was able to take in small breaths, regulating the blood lost in her hands. Jihyo resurfaced, gasping for air. She rested her top half over the ledge to Jeongyeon's left, the rest of her body wading around in the cool water. A bit shaken up from how hard she had held on to the ledge, Jeongyeon stared at her wrinkly hands that slowly returned feeling.

"Jeong, you okay?"

Jihyo shifted her head to get a better view of irked Jeongyeon's now pale face. Droplets of water made their way down Jihyo's godly face. She blinked her eyes to clear them up, patiently waiting for Jeongyeon to let it out.

"It's like we're nothing but strangers now, Hyo," glaring at the reflection of the water.
"And two days ago, when I saw her so...defeated, I wanted to hug her and just have her in my embrace. But when she spoke to me, it's felt like she didn't want me to even be near her."

Every word Jeongyeon said, a thundering pain would form in her chest, encircling it's way around her ribcage like a snake and yanking at it without a time to react.

"I didn't ask her about it because I know she wasn't in the right state to give me a direct answer. But now, I'm worried for her that I won't be able to protect. What if something worse happens to her?"

Jeongyeon shot Jihyo a forlorn look, misery clearly showing even in the glowing light of the sunset. Hair covered her face in a whirly net. She peered down at Jihyo with glossy eyes. Attempting to keep herself from exploding, Jeongyeon wrapped her arms around herself, squeezing her body ruggedly.

Watching Jeongyeon break down like this not only tore Jihyo apart, but deep down, she had grown detested at what Nayeon was doing to her. There hasn't been a single moment where Jihyo wasn't there to give Jeongyeon earnest words of assurance, to give her long warm hugs that lasted for hours. If things hadn't turned south, she wouldn't even be doing this in the first place.

I hate seeing Jeong like this. She wouldn't be feeling so crestfallen if she was with me. I'd make sure that she never second-guesses my feelings for her.

Nevertheless, Jihyo was well aware that her greedy desires were to be set aside in order for her to act as Jeongyeon's pillar of strength. Their friendship fame first before any foolish possibilities that Jihyo had a chance with her. She didn't think that she could feel this exhausted trying to stuff down her feelings than the truckloads of paperwork she does in a day.

"Well, Jeongyeon. Quite frankly, you shouldn't beat yourself up over a situation that's completely out of your reach. Nayeon, as much as she needs assistance, shouldn't be your sole priority. Of course, she isn't a baby. But if we're talking about feelings here, I can see how much you love her and would do anything for her."

   "I do love her, Hyo. I really do. Actually, ever since we were kids."
Jeongyeon struggled to say that out loud, clutching her shirt as she looked at Jihyo with the same hurt expression.
    "I'd go to the moon and back for her."

"You should be more upfront when it comes to your feelings for Nayeon. Like actually put some action behind those words. Once you stop caring about the consequences, that's when the real fun begins."

Jihyo might've twisted a few words around, here and there. But what she said did not come out of spite. She carried her words with a purpose. But Jeongyeon took her words for nothing more than simply another pack of friendly advice for her to carry. Little did she know of Jihyo's true intentions behind her words.

That gave Jeongyeon a spotlight of hope. Briefly looking away from Jihyo, she saw the alluring glow of the sunset before them. On the rooftop pool of Jihyo's house, the pair basked in the light of the bright ball, giving themselves the pleasure of being at peace with their thoughts.

Grinning as the temperance of the sun danced on her tear-stained face, Jeongyeon shut her eyes. The soft smile still lingered.

"I guess you might be right, Miss Pre—"

Jeongyeon found her arm being yanked into the pool by Jihyo, who let out a squeal. Before her head fully dunked into the water, Jeongyeon sucked in the biggest breath like it was her last. Seconds later, she jumped right back up, splashing a heap of water at Jihyo. They both laughed and were soon having a battle of splashing waves at one another. Jeongyeon, being the competitive person she was, thought of another contest and charged at Jihyo, urging a shrill battle cry.

Looping their fingers together, Jeongyeon was quick to push down Jihyo into the water, but not enough for her head to go all the way under. Groaning as she swished her legs back and forth to keep herself afloat, Jihyo threw her hands against Jeongyeon's, the other girl flying back into the water. They said few words, only communicating through high-pitched screams that could be heard from down below. They were having a serious staring contest, pushing their clasped hands together while in the pool. Jeongyeon lost her mighty grip and one of her hands slipped past, making her fall forward and their heads to forcibly collide.

Both girls quickly pulled back, yelling at the harsh impact. Jeongyeon disregarded the throbbing spot on her head and went to check if Jihyo was alright.

"Oh god, Jihyo, are you alright?"

    "Hmm.."
Flinching at the placement of Jeongyeon's fingers on her forehead.
   "Yeah. I'm good. I can ice it la...ter."
Jihyo became tongue-tied when she tilted her head up, seeing the proximity being Jeongyeon's face to hers. Their noses were practically touching.

"Is something wrong, Hyo? Does it hurt?"

Jeongyeon shut her mouth, picking up on Jihyo's silence for something else. A few more inches and they would've kissed.

Just this once, Jihyo thought, staring at Jeongyeon's inviting lips that were slightly afar. She jumped up and closed the gap between them, tasting a hint of chlorinated water. At first, Jeongyeon didn't know what to do, whether to push Jihyo away or keep going. The kiss ended as quick at it started. It was more of a long peck on the lips. They spent a good fifteen minutes just staring at into each other's eyes deeply, searching for something.

Nayeon's ice cream was long gone. Mina wasn't fast enough to catch the dessert in her hands, fumbling with the chocolate cone in her other. They ended up at the playground, the same place Nayeon and Momo had been, where Nayeon had to endure Momo's bizarre test. Currently, the two were teetering on a seesaw. They were chatting about normal things; homework, classes, dirt that found about their schoolmates, only the tip of the iceberg topics to talk about.

A familiar warmth stretched along Nayeon's face and she turned her head into the direction of the light, allowing the enriching feeling to consume her. By then the two stopped kicking their feet, sitting still as both of them admired the sunset in their own way. Mina sat there, watching Nayeon with eyes full of a fondness she's never shown unless towards thing or people she held dearest.

"The sunset must look so beautiful right now," Nayeon said with her eyes shut, still facing the path where the sun's rays were hitting.

"Yeah, it sure is."

Mina wasn't even looking at the sunset, nor did she take her eyes off Nayeon to glance at it. She favored the view she had right now.

Today is the day you're going to be brave, Mina. Just like Tzuyu has told you over a million times that you have it stuck in your head:
Just fucking go for it.
Very inspirational quotes from Chou Tzuyu herself.

"Hey, Nabongs."

"Yeh?"

"I know how crazy things have been for you for the worst couple of weeks. And I'm sorry that you're going through it but just know that I'll always be here for you even if you hate me."

Nayeon stopped bathing in the glow of the sun and turned to Mina. She couldn't enjoy the warmth anymore and chose to ask what Mina meant by what she said instead. Raising a sharp eyebrow at the other girl, Nayeon's smile fell when Mina didn't say anything yet.

"Why would I HATE you, Mina? You couldn't possibly do anything to make you hate you that much."

Staring at the sandy ground, Mina chuckled. She whacked herself with the base of her open palm, mockingly looking up at the sky and cursing empty words.

"I know it seems crazy. But just promise to not hate me on this one, okay?"

Now Nayeon was even more baffled with what Mina was leading on. She stayed on her seat with a droopy frown on her face, about to drift off into her pit of unfathomable doubts and concern.

She slapped her cheeks a few times to enlightened her attitude and it somehow worked. Sighing with her shaky breath, Mina got up and did the craziest thing on that day.

She kissed Nayeon.

Nayeon did the craziest thing she ever did in her entire life.

She kissed back.

A/N:

Well aren't we on a wild rollercoaster of feels right now.. :")

Who do you feel like should be endgame? Or ship in the story?

Thank you if you've been patient with Through Her Eyes. Sometimes I have major writer's block (despite having the whole plot for the story figured out), or I get easily distracted and do other things like watch YouTube videos, read on WebToons, or spend countless hours on Twitter.

Hehe shameless self promo (─‿‿─)

I try to update within the span of 1-2 weeks after the latest update is released. I really enjoy writing this fic and thank everyone who has stumbled upon this and are still reading it. Y'all are the best 🤩

Anywaysssss.. plz vote and comment and all that other fancy jazz. Lemme know your thoughts

- Dea 💝💓💕

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

340K 13.7K 82
❛ WE NEVER STOP WRITING BECAUSE OUR HAND IS SHAKING. ❜ in which a fake werewolf falls in love with a real writer. [social media, 2014]
10.3K 866 23
♯ Her world was bland, grey, and void of colour. One day, she received a cup of hot chocolate from a generous, beautiful stranger. And just like that...
39.2K 1.7K 39
Even when she grew up in a perfect family, the devil himself nurtured her. TW: STRONG LANGUAGE, SEXUAL INTERCOURSE, ABUSE.
408K 8.5K 35
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.