The Things I've Seen (A RWBY...

By MartinGraf98

(DISCONTINUED) "Don't claim that you know me, 'cause you know very well that I have seen through it all." ... More

Welcome To Haven
Unforseen Complications
Lighting The Fire/ A necessary sacrifice
Known By Its Song
Rest and decisions
Bad Blood
Together Alone/ A Perfect Storm/ True Colors
The More, the Merrier / Vault Of The Spring Maiden/ Downfall
Haven's Destiny
Volume 6 Kain Character Short
Argus Limited
Uncovered
The Lost Fable
On Hiatus

Dread In The Air

237 2 0
By MartinGraf98

The next day it seems like Kain is scouting the town for possible jobs people could put out. Not that he really needs much money for anything, but boredom is something the experienced huntsman can't stand at all, no matter when. Maybe he's just a little bit like a work-o-holic in that regard, but Remnant is a big world to travel in and everywhere could be something to do, even in a city near or like Mistral itself. Be it hard or easy, he takes on everyone and everything. The scar on his left eye is from one of these many dangerous missions. That's when he became half blind. Still Kain keeps a straight face while looking at the request board he just found.

Kain:" Grimm infested cave: Creeps, Beowolves, Deathstalkers...Boring...A Beringel is causing havoc somewhere...boring...I've seen better jobs to take on."

???:" Excuse me, young man."

The new voice startles Kain as he turns around to look at whoever that voice belongs to. To his surprise, he faces a lady that looks like she's just a bit older than him, with amber eyes and hazel, long and wavy hair. 

Kain:" How can I help?"

???:" Are you a professional huntsman?"

Kain:" I am. Do you have a problem I should handle for you?"

???:" I do. You see, for a few weeks, there has been a strange noise echoing around the area I live in. It's keeping me and my family awake at night and we don't know what it could be. Would you be so kind and investigate? Maybe you could eliminate whatever it is that makes that terrible sound? Please, we will reward as best as we possibly can."

Kain:" How far is it from here?"

???:" We would walk for at least thirty minutes. The noise is coming from behind a hill that's not far away from our house. On top of the hill is a blooming maple tree, so you can't miss it."

Kain:" Alright, let's go. I need a warm-up before breakfast."

???:" I truly can't thank you enough. You will make me and my family happy."

Kain:" To you, it could be costing you your life. To me, it's just a mere annoyance. This shouldn't take long."

Shortly after, they are already leaving towards the city gates, Kan following behind the lady. Of course it would feel a bt weird to anyone, but you can't ignore the helpless if you're a professional for over two decades. Some jobs Kain took in the past turned out to be traps, set up to kill him, but judging from him still roaming around, they all failed miserably. He just earned more scars in the end, but none of the 'assassins' ever finished the job. Shaking off these memories, he just keeps following the woman while observing everything as good as possible.

Kain:" Say, do any of you have combat experience?"

???": My husband did, but two years ago he stepped away from that life and focused on me and our daughter. Since then, he didn't fight a single Grimm again."

Kain:" Hm...What about the maple tree? What's the story behind that?"

???:" It was a wedding gift from my parent. I like to take a seat underneath it to clear my head, especially at night. But when this thing started to make these noises, I stopped going there, because of the risk of being attacked by whatever roams out there."

Kain:" This creature will wish to never have crossed my path at all."

???:" Are you sure you can handle these Grimm all on your own?"

Kain:" I've been travelling for many years and faced things nobody even dares to mention. This will be nothing."

???:" Please be honest about this: do you believe in god?"

Kain:" Um...I beg your pardon?"

This question is one of very few that can actually outsmart the big man. Judging from the tone of the woman's voice, she seems to be more than serious about her believes and religion as it is. She even locks eyes with Kain to ensure he gives her a straight and honest answer.

???:" Now...what do you have to say for yourself?"

Kain:"...My god is dead..."

???:" What was that?!"

Kain:" I said my god is dead. There is no god in my world and there never will be one. Sure, there are supreme beings like the four maidensand things like that, but no gods.........Let's continue."

The woman is thunderstruck by this answer and the way the bearded man gets his point across without actually meaning any harm with words. She quickly shakes it off for the moment and runs after Kain who just so happened to have spotted a house where two individuals are already waiting.

Kain:" Is this your family?"

???:" Yes, my husband and our daughter. They have been waiting for me...Why don't you check out the area I described earlier? I have something to discuss with them."

Kain:" Alright I gues...But don't you dare try anything funny!"

So the two seperate with Kain making his way towards the mentioned hill while the strange woman walks to her family and gets them inside for the discussion. Religious fanatics really like to try and make others believe in the same things as them with every possible method they know. The 'lonesome rider', as Qrow calls Kain, just chuckles before putting on his hat and pulling up the cloth to cover his face before taking a closer look at what lies behind the hill. There seems to be the cave that was mentioned at the request board, so maybe that's the nest of the creature that keeps the poor people alive at night. The huntsman is cautious while stepping closer towards the hole in the ground, being carefull with his movements while whispering to himself.

Kain:" There is no telling what might hide down there. I can't take any risk like alarming the Grimm, otherwise I'd be their next meal."

Moving his right hand to his belt, he grabs something that looks like a normal baseball and readies himself.

Kain:" I hope this works as well as it did the last few times."

He sneaks towards the cave entrance while holding the baseball thing and aiming at a specific spot. A short click is heard as he presses something on the ball before throwing it into the cave and stepping back from it immediately. From the ball streams a grey gas, filling the cave.

Kain:" Sleeping gas, my second best friend in this kind of missions. Now I just have to wait a moment, then I'll kill these creatures in their sleep."

But then there is the same woman from before, heading his way with a different kind of expression on her face. He doesn't really understand what's going on with her and her family, but he decides to ignore the ominous vibes he gets.

Kain:" Did you finish your discussion?"

???:" For now, yes. I'm sorry for making you wait for so long. Did you find the source of our troubles?"

Kain:" There is a cave underground, filled with Grimm. I don't know what exactly causes them to become active at night, but I'll make sure to end it."

???:" Right, I wish you the best of luck."

Kain:" Uh...thank you?"

Confused because of her sudden change in behavior, Kain steps away and gets back to the infested cave, hoping the gas caught every Grimm inside. He may not have his real weapon with him, but a pair of platinum daggers should be enough to finish the job. Not long after, he begins to kill two at a time until all of them are eliminated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An hour later, Kain is finished with the slaughter fest and hopes to leave the cave as it begins to rumble and shake. Thinking to himself that this will be the last one, he bolts out from underground to get back to fresh air as a King Taijitu makes its way up. The two snakes then begin to circle around the huntsman, who seems distressed at the moment.

Kain"* Heavy and angry sigh* I guess it's that time again...I'll hate it every time."

This sentence is refering to Kain's semblanc that still is unknown to the majority of Remnant and that's for a reason even he doesn't know how to explain. He only activates it when he sees no other chance of winning and that moment i now, because a pair of daggers won't do anything against giant Grimm like that. The ice green-eyed man takes a stable stance as he closes both of his eyes and speaks an ancient oath, only known to his family.

Kain:" Magna solum mili mala. Lapsae frantibus, dona mili hanc potestatem, ut mundent ab peccatum mundi. Ut tu in pace. Tibi nulla oblivione delebitur."

(My fallen brothers. Please grant me the powers to cleanse this world from sin. May you rest in peace. You shall never be forgotten.)

This oath ends with a cloud of thick grey smoke, covering the man who just said these words. Within it, two more arms spread from Kain's back. Each of them is holding a one-handed sword: one in black and one in white. His real arms grasp a spear with blades on every end. The appearance is changed also as his skin is covered in ashes and his left eye is now black with a golden ring in it.

Kain:" Oh my lord, hear my vow. There's blood upon the valley. Take this sword to kill what I've done. Deliver me from worry. The devil's hands gonna strike me down, cut me to my grave. The river's songs gonna pull me through. The river, she can save."

The Grimm doesn't appear to be bothered by the man himself as both snakes attack at the same time. Every normal human would probably be dead already, but Kain isn't. He's blocking the Grimm with all of his strength and still doesn't break a sweat, despite killing the other Grimm before. Then again, using his selmblance isn't without a sacrifice as his aura drops faster and his vision goes all blurry if he uses it for too long, making him very vulnerable.

Kain:" Who do these creatures think they are? Damn annoying freaks!"

The weapons now begin to reflect the sunlight as Kain walks towards the snakes, seeing as not even one of them goes for any more offense.But that doesn't take long, because the black half of the Grimm pounces forward towards its enemy, only for him to sidestep and decapitating the poor soulless. A quick glance to the left reasures him that the other half is still there and waiting for more to come. But before he can deal the next blow, he is blinded by a bright light and the world around him vanishes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The lght blinding the man is actually the sunlight in his hotel room, waking him up from what surely is the freakiest dream he had in a long time. He rubs his eyes and takes a good and close look at himself to check if he's really alright.

Kain:" What the hell was my brain just doing a moment ago? That's not my semblance, not my weapon and definately not my kind of behavior......But my point about gods and stuff like that is the same."

Sighing, he gets up and steps towards the bathroom to check his face. Not that a dream could alter anyone's appearance in real life, but it's better to know if you're still yourself or not. Then again, for being in a hotel, its offering on meals is not the best, because they don't serve breakfest.

Kain:" I wonder if Qrow made it home alright. He had a few drinks in already before I got his attention. Hopefully this kid didn't bring any trouble."

It has been years since the two of them have seen each other and with Kain being some kind of heavy drinker himself, he couldn't pass the opportunity to mess with the birdman. Lionheart is another of Kain's close aquaintences, but they definately aren't on the best terms, the same with him and General Ironwood. For Kain, it's crucial to have some pretty important people as friends, because he could need a favor in the future. But his past is always there as well, remnding him to carry on and find new strength along with new allies. His mind stays on that track while his feet begin to carry him outside into the direction he means Qrow is staying at. But facepalming while walking and covering his good eye while doing so is a bad idea as he crashes right into the next lamp post with people watching.

Kain:" Argh, damn it! Why me?!"

His murmers cause a lot of whispering already and now citizens already form their own thoughts about him as Kain keeps walking into the same direction he aimed for before. The house he's walking to looks like every other building, but his insticts tell him that Qrow must be in there. Stepping up the short staircase, he knocks on the door three times and waits for someone to open, only to be greeted by Jaune.

Jaune:" Uh...Can I help you?"

Kain:" Is Qrow Branwen here?"

Nora:" Why?"

Ren:" Who are you?"

Kain:" My name is Kain Phoenix. I'm an old friend of Mr. Branwen."

Qrow:" Who's at the door, kiddos?"

Stepping out from the kitchen is Qrow himself, who has his own turn of facepalming right now as he sees Kain standing there.

Kain:" Good morning, Qrow. I see you survived another night of drinking."

Qrow:" Yeah, how do you know where I'm at?"

Kain:" I just need to follow the stench of alcohol you always carry around with yourself."

Qrow:" Hey, I don't always smell that bad when I come back from a bar."

Nora:" So...you know each other?"

Qrow:" Yeah, for a few decades already...Jaune, let him in."

Jaune just steps aside as Kain steps in carefully, taking a look around the room.

Kain:" That's a nice home you guys have here. How can you afford that?"

Qrow:" I have some connections."

Kain:" Not only some, according to your stories."

Qrow:" Hey, remember what I to-"

Suddenly an angry Ruby storms down the stairs, not caring for the visitor right now.

Ruby:" What the heck is going on down here? Can't a girl just read her comics in peace?"

Then there is silence. An eerie and tense silence as Kain and Ruby observe each other. It's like a meeting between possible friends or foes, depending on the side you're on.

Kain:" You must be Ruby Rose. Qrow has told me a lot about you."

Ruby:" What? Why would he?"

Qrow:"*Sigh* Everyone, let me introduce him again: this is Kain Phoenix. A very close friend of mine....And Raven too."

Ruby:" Why couldn't we meet him sooner? Where was he all the time?"

Kain:" Please stay calm, Miss Rose. I will explain myself once everyone sat down."

Following the man's advice, everyone gathers around the table in the living room. It takes a few seconds for Kain to settle in and get comfortable.

Kain:" Qrow can elaborate if he wants to. There is a lot I have to talk about anyways...Let me start with saying that me, Qrow and Raven know each other for way over 20 years."

Qrow:" 25 I think already."

Kain:" All those years passed already? My gosh...It all started at a meeting between our tribe leaders. Each one had the option to bring someone as their right hand while we met on neutral ground."

Qrow:" Me and Raven happened to be the representatives of the Branwen tribe while Kain was the representative of his tribe. What was the name again?"

Kain:" The Gojira tribe.........."

Qrow:" Right. The leaders talked about strategies to communicate safely with each other and keep each others backs. With his tribe not being religious at all, the didn't need to use much violence or excessive force. The Branwens on the other hand were a bit more aggressive in their ways."

Kain:" To say the least: they were the fire, we were lightning. We mixed in many good ways, but sometimes there were days when we had arguments with each other. Then again, we were happy to do missions together whenever we were allowed to."

Qrow:" Me and Raven were a great team before and adding Kain into the mix improved it more."

Kain:" I mean, I could show you my weapon, b-"

Ruby:" YespleaseshowusyourweaponIwannaknowwhatitis."

Kain:" I said I could, but I don't do spoilers."

Qrow:" Come to think of it, I never saw your semblance in action."

Kain:" And you know that I can't risk using it with how unstable it is..."

Qrow:" ......Yeah.........Sorry to remind you."

Kain:" It's fine...Anyways, when I heard the news of Raven and Qrow going to Beacon, I immediately put together a parting gift."

Qrow:" Unfortunately it never arrived."

Kain:" Right. After they were gone, I was asked to deliver a gift from our leader to theirs as a sign of peace. We didn't have much tension between each other, but there was some bad blood between a few members of each tribe."

Ren:" Wait, you're saying you spent your life within this tribe, but where were you born?"

Kain:" Vacuo. I was born in Vacuo and raised in that tribe after my parents have agreed to join to keep our family tradition alive. Nowadays I can't do that anymore after our tribe disbanded."

Qrow:" What? Your tribe disbanded?"

Kain:" Yes, it did...Our last leader died four years ago and most tribe members were against a new one, saying that a new leader wouldn't be able to handle the burden of responsability and teaching younger ones professionally....I didn't volunteer because I knew the tribe would collapse in itself sooner than later."

Qrow:" What abo-"

Kain:" She ran..........and she to our daughter with herself. She never wants to see me again........."

Qrow:" I'm sorry....I thought you were perfect for each other."

Kain:" So did I........Excuse me, I just need a moment."

The bearded huntsman then left the house to go for some fresh air, trying to forget the bad part of his past while Qrow is leaning back, letting out a heavy sigh.

Qrow:" This definately isn't a pleasent way to start a day."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Now that wraps up Chapter 2. I just wanna clarify that I don't have anything against religion and god and so on. I'm just not religious myself and don't wanna spread any bad words about anything related to religion. Pleas don't get wrong what I express, OK? Thank you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

894 6 7
(DISCONTINUED) What were those years you've spent in Remnant so far? What did drive you to pick up a guitar and make music? It was very easy for you...
37.9K 1.1K 51
[Completed] Summer Rose has decided to attend Beacon Academy in the kingdom of Vale in hopes of becoming a huntress. She soon meets her teammates: Ta...
4.4K 88 17
A/N: so this is my take putting my own spin on making a RWBY x male reader They say life's all about a few moments, and in those few moments actions...
31.1K 299 13
Ok so this is my first story I hope it isn't to bad when you guys read it. Y/n: Your name Rivers H/l: Hair length H/c: Hair color E/c: Eye color W/n:...