Caught in a Lie ~ h.s.

By AmberE3Love34

A book about a modern-day princess, a green-eyed financial analyst, and so, so many lies. ♕♕♕ Highest Ranking... More

♕ Disclaimer ♕
♕ I ♕
♕ II ♕
♕ IV ♕
♕ V ♕
♕ VI ♕
♕ VII ♕
♕ VIII ♕
♕ IX ♕
♕ X ♕
♕ XI ♕
♕ XII ♕
♕ XIII ♕
♕ XIV ♕
♕ XV ♕
♕ XVI ♕
♕ XVII ♕
♕ XVIII ♕
♕ XIX ♕
♕ XX ♕
♕ XXI ♕
♕ XXII ♕
♕ XXIII ♕
♕ XXIV ♕
♕ XXV ♕
♕ XXVI ♕
♕ Epilogue ♕

♕ III ♕

4.8K 134 26
By AmberE3Love34

♕♕♕

My Lord, that actually worked.

I can't fathom that our plan is actually working, not even when we've passed through the doors to the outside world receiving zero second glances from the security behind us. Niall joins me at my side, placing his hand on the small of my back as he leads me towards the gates as I smile so wide my cheeks burn. We follow the rest of the staff exiting the gates and slide through to the high street without issue, my smile only growing as our distance did. I can feel my heart beating practically out of my chest with every step we take. I feel as if I may explode.

"I can't believe -"

"I know."

Niall's hand continues to rests on my back as we walk along the pavement towards, what I'm guessing is, the nearest train station. We walk for quite some time, in silence, before we reach a sign reading Weybridge Station, I sigh contently, my excitement growing. Never have I taken the train, or the tube, so I'm both excited and nervous at the same time, pretty much the same emotions I've been up until this point.

"You're not going to leave me, are you?"

I know I said I wanted to go on this adventure alone, but now that I'm here and out in the world, I'm a bit scared to be left on my own. I suppose having Niall by my side for the time being wouldn't be so bad; at least I'm not surrounded by upwards of five men trying to block out everything and everyone around me. Hopefully he won't leave me at least until we're in London, if not I may end up in Scotland by accident. Navigation is not my strong suit.

"I won't leave your side until you specifically instruct me to do so, your highness."

"You probably shouldn't call me that outside the palace walls."

"You are probably correct."

Niall and I enter the station without another word to each other, but once we reach the lobby of the station with signs directing us towards different platforms he begins to speak again.

"Here's your ticket." He slides a piece of paper into my hands and continues to look around as if searching for possible threats towards my safety. "I took the liberty of purchasing a round trip ticket for us both. Our train to return to Weybridge is tomorrow at eight am. You must meet me at the station by seven-forty-five to ensure we make the train on time. We can't miss it. We're already pushing the boundaries of how long we can have you out of the palace for and if they haven't noticed your absence by then, they surely will if you miss breakfast."

My mother likes us to eat breakfast with her around eight-forty-five in the morning. Usually it's just Violet and I, as Gwen is either out of the palace by then or still in bed and my father is already working. If Niall and I play our cards right and the train isn't late, we should make it to the palace just in time for me to make my appearance at breakfast. If I don't I know my mother will send someone to come after me.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm not entirely sure." I honestly admit. "Whilst I feel truly happy to be free for the first time, I still have an overwhelming and over-present feeling of anxiety. I suppose I figured I'd feel this way." Niall stops me short in the lobby of the station, pulling me to the edge of the corridor and away from listening ears.

"We can always turn back; you don't have to do this, Mabel." I shake my head, taking a deep breath and examining the ticket in my hand. The departure time is approaching quickly and if we delay any longer we'll miss our train. "I won't judge you for wanting to go home. You're my friend Mabel, and what you says go."

"When have I ever been the one to give up?"

Forty minutes and an extremely thrilling train ride later, the train pulls into Waterloo Station. If it weren't for Niall's overbearing presence I would have run off the train as soon as it slowed to a crawl. My anxiety, whilst still present, had taken a back seat to the excitement that was bubbling up in my gut. So as soon as we pulled in to a complete stop, I dragged Niall off the train in a flash.

As we make it to the centre of the station, I'm a smiling idiot, twirling around to gaze at every inch of the hustle and bustle. I look like a child in a candy shoppe for the first time, so many things going on and too many choices to choose from. The station isn't too busy at this time of night, but all the people are simply too fascinating not to watch as they make their way to their trains.

"Where to first, Mabel?"

"Piccadilly Circus." I respond, thinking of the first touristy section of the city I possible can.

I know as a native Brit and Londerner, sort of, the unspoken rule of the city is to avoid the tourist parts of the city as much as possible, but I've never been to those places. I want to experience them first hand, because in a way I am a tourist... a tourist of my own city.

Little is spoken between Niall and I as we travel through the station to reach the place where we will catch the tube. He hands me an Oyster Card before we get to the turnstile, instructing me how to use it, and we breeze through without a problem. When we get closer to the line Niall's hoping to find the crowd seems to grow in numbers, indicating that our specific train is pretty popular and quite possibly nearing. I stick closely with Niall, hoping not to lose him in the crowd as we zig-zag through foreigners and the late-night party crowd.

Over the bellows of the growing crowd, Niall instructs me of the line and route we're going to take, which is very much like him. As my personal guard he's always informing me of our plans and routes when we're not in the palace to ensure that we have an understanding.

"There's the train!" I call excitedly seeing the tube pull up to a stop in the distance. Through my excitement I begin to jog towards the tube, not wanting to miss it, my actions very much like Violet in a way. No longer am I a twenty-six year old woman, but a twelve year old girl with a need to explore the unknown.

"Mabel, wait for me!" I can hear Niall's shouting towards me, but I ignore it with a wave of my hand, indicating that I had indeed heard him. He's quick, he'll be able to keep up. As I approach the train, I slow to a fast-paced walk before I hop onto the awaiting car. With an excited little squeal I spin around to look for Niall. Expecting him right by my side, but I'm a little shocked to see him so far away.

A large group had exited the same car, holding up those coming from our direction. Through my excited daze I had passed them without trouble, but Niall had been caught up. I giggle at the worried look he gives me as he tries his best to politely push through the crowd. His uneasiness of my distance is a tad funny but only until the doors begin to close between us.

"Niall!" I shout, my voice sounding a bit panicked in the moment. My actions to hop off the train are cut off by the doors sealing shut, separating Niall and I. Niall is on the other side of the door in seconds, banging on the window pane with closed fists as if that would do anything.

Mabel, you idiot! Why on earth would you be so daft? You're not a bloody child, you can't just run about!

As the train hisses to a start and begins to move, Niall lightly jogs to stay in pace with the train, yelling at me from the otherside.

"Get off at Piccadilly Circus and wait for me! You'll be fine." I nod my head nervously and watch as Niall stops running, remaining stagnant on the platform. His chest heaves and falls heavily with each deep breath he takes, my own breaths almost matching his with how scared I've become in an instant.

"What have I done?" I mumble to myself as Niall disappears out of sight.

I've never, ever been on my own in public before. Whenever I leave the palace I have anywhere between three and ten people with me and we only ever take a car of our own. We don't take public transportation, we don't walk around, we stay in places that are safe, secure, and familiar. Here on my own I'm in a place that's neither secure nor familiar, who knows if it's even safe, and I'm freaking out.

My hands fumble to take my mobile phone out of my bag, unlock the device with shaking hands, the fingerprint recognition not working in my moment of freak out, and finally click on Niall's contact. A frustrated breath leaves my lips as I see that I have absolutely no service in this dreaded underground transportation thing.

"Excuse me?" A voice, followed by a hand to my shoulder sends me jumping backwards against the doors of the tube with a shout escaping my lips. My arms raise upwards as if I can fight off the stranger, but we all know that isn't likely with my lack of muscle. When you grow up in the family that I do, self defense courses are mandatory and we take a refresher course every year, but all that's gone out the window in my moment of shock.

I'm met staring directly at the concerned face of a man, his hands now raised as if he's surrendering. He's quite attractive at first glance, with his dark curls cut short and emerald like eyes full of concern, but I push those thoughts back. I'm not one of those girls who fall in love with someone at first glance, especially with this person that could very well attack or rob me.

"Sorry! I'm sorry!" He apologizes immediately, matching my startled demeanor.

"What do you want?" I demand, lowering my own arms to fix the bag on my shoulder and the hat on my head. Subconsciously I hold my bag closer to my body, fearing this attractive gentleman is after one thing and one thing only, the contents of my bag... or what's between my legs, but we won't think about that.

"I just wanted to make sure that you're alright. I saw what happened." I release a breath that I didn't know I was holding when I hear the sincerity in his voice.

There's a few other patrons on the train and it eases me only slightly. Surely he's not the type to rob someone in front of so many witnesses.

"I'm fine." I answer, straightening myself out and trying to get a grip over my emotions. I need to calm down. I can't go about this adventure if I'm freaking myself, and others, out.

Just as I think my awkward encounter with this stranger is over, the train takes an unexpected turn at a much faster speed than I think necessary, sending my flying towards the stranger. I scream of shock leaves my lips as I fall in his direction. His actions are quick, grabbing ahold of me before reaching out to steady himself with the metal pole to his side.

How cliché.

"Unhand me." I order once the actions of the train have smoothed out. The man who has been nothing but kind to me quickly removes his hands once he sees I'm comfortable standing on my own two feet. Once again his hands are raised in surrender and I'm left feeling guilty.

"I'm sorry." Cursing to myself, I shake my head at how rude I'm being. I'm usually not like this, ordering people around, but I suppose that's what happens when you're alone, scared, and your guard is up.

"No, I'm sorry. That was rude of me. Thank you for your assistance." I mutter, ashamed of my previous actions.

The man only nods and watches as I shuffle over towards the bench, dropping onto my bum. I try not to think of the last time this train was cleaned as I relax onto the plastic, taking a much needed deep breath. The initial shock of the situation is wearing down and I'm starting to feel foolish for how I acted before and, surprisingly, a little surge of confidence floods through me.

I can do this on my own. I am an independent adult woman who doesn't need a man. If I can navigate foreign policy and international relations then I can navigate myself to the correct place and wait for Niall. Maybe I won't need Niall anymore once I've made it off this train, maybe I'll be better off on my own. Perhaps this unexpected separation is just what I needed to know that I can do this. Perhaps.

"Are you from around here?" My eyes shift towards the man taking a seat beside me, for too close for my liking, even with him leaving enough space for one person between us. I'm shocked that he's still speaking to me, even after everything I've said and done to him. How much patience does this man have?

"Not exactly." I confidently state, sitting up straighter and gazing around the train.

"So, where are you from?" I can't tell if he's just being friendly with me or if he's just trying to get on my nerves. From the look on his face I'd say he's just being friendly, but I can't help but be wary of him. Whilst I want to see the good in all people, I know there are bad people out there and I would be the best target for them.

"Weybridge." His eyes widen slightly.

Weybridge is quite an expensive place to live, palace or not. The real estate is high above the national average, or so I've heard. And the fact that our palace resides within the town drives up the prices of the homes and the want to live there. Our "neighbours" are wealthy socialites with tiny dogs and wardrobes bigger than bedrooms. And if that's not saying the status of Weybridge is high-class, then the fact that John Lennon and Ringo Starr used to live in separate mansions in Weybridge, once upon a time, should.

"Wow." I hum in response, not really wanting to talk about where I spend all my days and nights. The reason for this escape is to not have to think about my home and where I come from.

"Where do you live?"

"Bethnal Green." I nod my head as if I know what he's talking about, but in reality that could be in London or France for all I know. "It's nothing like Weybridge, but it is home." I find myself smiling at his confession.

The palace is where I was born and raised, but sometimes it feels the furthest from home. I don't even know what home is supposed to feel like. All I know is what I've been raised to believe. To my family, a home is something magnificent and filled to the brim with people and expensive things. Don't get me wrong, my family isn't snobbish when it comes to money, but I don't think they know how to live without it.

"I'm Harry." My head lifts to look him in the eye, my smile remaining on my lips when I see his own smile.

"Mab-" Shoot. "Mary." His head falling backwards as his mouth lets a loud laugh escape through his lips. There's this undeniable bubbling in my stomach and I don't know what to write off the reason for it as. Whatever it is, it feels nice.

"Nice to meet you Mab-Mary."

♕♕♕

make sure to let me know what you think, share with your friends, and leave a cheeky vote xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

576K 25.6K 32
Louis Tomlinson is the world's most successful and well-known record artist. His fans (who call themselves "Louies") know everything about him-- so t...
83.3K 3K 47
I trusted him and- He lied. About everything. ©riss1020
2.7K 34 30
What happens when Liam's secret twin sister comes back into his life and meets a certain Irish lad? What happens when Niall falls for a girl with sec...
442K 18.3K 34
Louis could feel Harry behind him, the hot breath on his neck and the soft hands upon his waist. "You know I do more than tutor, don't you?" Harry w...