Astoria

By titanically-

M E R E D I T H is a princess without a country. Her family, formerly the royal family of Borgavia, has been... More

I N T R O D U C T I O N
p r o l o g u e
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y - o n e
t w e n t y - t w o
t w e n t y - t h r e e
t w e n t y - f o u r
t w e n t y - f i v e
t w e n t y - s i x
t w e n t y - s e v e n
t w e n t y - e i g h t
t w e n t y - n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y - o n e
t h i r t y - t w o
t h i r t y - t h r e e
t h i r t y - f o u r
t h i r t y - f i v e
t h i r t y - s i x
t h i r t y - s e v e n
t h i r t y - e i g h t
t h i r t y - n i n e
f o r t y
f o r t y - o n e
f o r t y - t w o
f o r t y - t h r e e
f o r t y - f o u r
f o r t y - f i v e
f o r t y - s i x
f o r t y - s e v e n
f o r t y - e i g h t
f o r t y - n i n e
f i f t y - o n e
f i f t y - t w o
f i f t y - t h r e e
f i f t y - f o u r
f i f t y - f i v e
f i f t y - s i x
f i f t y - s e v e n
f i f t y - e i g h t
f i f t y - n i n e
s i x t y (p a r t o n e)
s i x t y (p a r t t w o)
s i x t y - o n e
s i x t y - t w o
e p i l o g u e
f i n a l n o t e
a c k n o w l e d g e m e n t s

f i f t y

16.3K 689 372
By titanically-

The next morning, Antony found himself, once again, behind his desk, wading through the seemingly endless paperwork that required his attention. When Kade entered his office with hardly a knock, he was grateful for the distraction.

He took in the look of frenzied excitement and determination on his general's face and immediately pushed aside the documents.

"What is it?" he questioned, noticing that his hands were gripping the edge of the desk.

"I just received a message that a few of the spies I sent out have a name and some information about who's leading the spate of attacks we've been experiencing." Kade sat down in the chair across from Antony and leaned forward.

"A name?" said Antony.

"Yes. Apparently the man running the entire operation is named Nathan. There is another man who is frequently seen at the scene of the attacks, although we don't know his identity as of yet. He seems to serve in the capacity of general for this group of people who, as of now, have been classified as rebels."

Antony sat back in his chair. "Having the name of their leader and an approximate location is, of course, very helpful." He looked up. "I want him brought in as soon as possible. The more quickly we can end this threat to the empire, the better."

"Of course," Kade nodded. "I'll send my best men."

"Thank you, Kade," said Antony. "I appreciate your quick action, and your finding this information."

Kade nodded once more and left.

Antony stood and departed soon after, encouraged by the progress that had been made in ending the danger to the citizens of Astoria.

He smiled when he reached the first floor and saw Meredith pushing Nash along in a wheeled-chair. The boy looked much better than he had yesterday, his color having improved after a night's comfortable rest.

"He seems to be doing better," he remarked as he reached them and took in Meredith's joy at her brother's improvement.

"He is," she said. "Aren't you Nash?"

The little boy grinned at Antony and nodded.

Meredith straightened and shrugged. "I was surprised to come back in the evening to see that he had eaten his soup and was resting just as I'd hoped." She came to stand next to him and they watched as Nash clumsily wheeled his chair down the hallway as fast as he could to greet Samantha who had just come from the library. She smiled. "I don't know what changed, but I'm glad that he seems to have come to terms with things." Her smiled faded somewhat. "Of course, I wish this hadn't happened, but seeing him happy again..."

He gently put his arm around her and she leaned her head on his shoulder. "I'm glad he's improved," he said, smiling as he saw Nash chatting happily with his sister. He recalled the boy's last whispered words as he left the room yesterday, asking him to "keep this between us so I can surprise Mer".

At that moment, Nash wheeled back over. He gestured to Antony.

Antony leaned down so that Nash could whisper in his ear. "Antony," he said. "Do you love my sister?"

A bemused look crossed Antony's face. "Perhaps...Is that alright with you?"

"I suppose so," whispered Nash. "'Cause you're nice and you're my friend."

Antony chuckled. "That's good to hear," he replied, straightening once more and winking at Nash. Nash grinned back and took off once more for the end of the hallway.

***

Isabella frowned at the two fabrics that her mother held out for her inspection.

"Why change anything, Mother?" she asked, exasperation lacing her voice. "The red curtains with gold tassels that the ballroom already has are just fine. They're the colors of the empire of Astoria!"

"I know that, but this is a special occasion," fussed Therese. "So navy blue or emerald green?"

Isabella sighed. "I suppose you should go with the blue then."

"So gold or silver for accents?"

Isabella groaned. "Silver!" she said, impatiently.

Therese smiled and turned to the decorator who was accompanying her, giving him the orders again in case he hadn't heard.

"Now," said Therese. "I simply need Antony's opinion."

"I'm sure that Antony doesn't really care, Mother," she said, sighing. "He's letting you plan the entire event for a reason..."

"Nonetheless, I feel like I should ask."

Antony entered the room just then. "Ask what?" he questioned, frowning.

"Blue or green?" said Therese, happily, holding up the fabric swatches. Isabella smirked at her cousin over her mother's shoulders and Antony gave her a helpless look.

"I suppose the blue is nice..." he said, finally.

"That's what Isabella said," nodded Therese. "Silver or gold accents?"

"Silver?"

Therese nodded and turned to confer once more with the decorator.

Isabella went to Antony's side and stood on tiptoe to whisper to him. "She's obsessed with decorating for the winter gala, and she still thinks that I would find a kindred spirit with Lord Andrew."

"Have you told her about Kade?"

"Every time I've tried to bring it up, she changes the subject or brings up Andrew again. It's not as if Andrew isn't nice, or even genuinely pleasant company. I just don't love him."

Antony nodded gravely. "Sooner or later you need to force her to stay on subject," he said. "Isa, at some point you have to let your mother know that you will finish having your say before she moves on. If Kade is important to you, that is. And I know he is, therefore, you shouldn't have a problem."

"Easy for you to say," she said, frowning grumpily and crossing her arms. "Word has, of course, begun to travel about how you confronted my Aunt Catherine. Needless to say, she needed it."

Antony smiled. "She certainly did. However, she seems to have been on her best behavior ever since, even going so far as to get along with her sister."

Isabella watched her mother. "I suppose she'll try to force the Lady Adelaide on you again?"

Antony sighed. "She would...If I weren't going to set her straight on that matter presently."

Isabella smirked, looping her arm through her cousin's. "Am I correct then in assuming that you've fallen rather hard for my lovely friend?"

"You are, as usual, right, dear cousin," he admitted.

She smiled and hugged him. "I'm very happy for you," she said softly. "You both are two of the dearest people in the world to me and I want nothing more for you than happiness."

"You are one of the dearest people I know, cousin," he said, and then pulled back to face her. "I also want nothing more for you than happiness, which is exactly why I'm going to tell your mother about Kade if you don't do it soon."

She laughed and playfully smacked his arm. "Alright, alright," she said. "I'll take the hint. But for now, I'm off to see Meredith. Don't worry..." She smirked as she turned back at the door. "I'll give her your love."

***

Therese turned around after her conference with the decorator to see that her daughter had departed, leaving her nephew behind.

"Antony!" she said, cheerfully, pulling him into a hug. "I'm sure that you must know I've sent an invitation to the Lady Adelaide and her family."

"I do," he nodded. "That's actually exactly why I've..."

"Good!" she interrupted him. "I see you're anticipating the event."

"Actually, Aunt Therese, I..."

"I'm sure you'll dance with her, and meet her father and mother? Oh, and..."

"Aunt Therese!" he interrupted.

She turned to look at him, momentarily startled.

"The Lady Adelaide is very nice," he said, gently. "I enjoyed her company, actually. However, I will not spend my evening dancing with her, nor will I give her parents the impression that there is anything other than friendship between us." He cleared his throat. "You see, I am in love with someone else."

"Oh?" she said, interested, clasping her hands in front of her. "Why didn't you say so before, Antony dear! Who is she?"

"Have you met Isabella's friend Meredith?" he asked her, casually.

She stared at him blankly, before her smile turned to a frown. She wasn't entirely sure that she had heard him correctly. "You mean...that maid?"

She watched him frown, and recognized the slight spark of anger that entered his eyes. "Yes, Isabella's companion," he said, his words clipped.

"Well...She's not a lady of the court...She has hardly any money..."

He crossed his arms and straightened. She found herself realizing, for the first time, just how much taller than her nephew actually was. He was certainly no longer the skinny little boy who had come to live with her upon his father's death.

"And?" he snapped.

"You're the king!" she said, helplessly.

He nodded. "Exactly. I'm the king and believe me when I say that I will make whatever decision I want to. I have thought about this matter very carefully and I love Meredith, Aunt Therese. I hoped for your approval, but I will make my own decision even if you choose to be prejudiced simply because the woman I love happened to be born a lower station than I."

She stared at him, shocked. "I...I suppose you can choose to do whatever you want, Antony..." She sighed. "She certainly seems a nice girl," she finally admitted.

They were both silent for a while before she finally broke the uncomfortable lack of speaking. "I heard from Catherine that you gave her quite the shock the other day."

"She deserved it," he scoffed.

She nodded, noting the look of surprise on his face at her agreement. "I suppose she did," she said. "She's certainly been much more amiable of late and I've learned what a pleasure having a close sister can actually be. I hope that if she continues her improved behavior you might reconsider your decision to deny her the privilege of staying here."

"If she continues to treat you, Isabella, and everyone else well, I shall be more than happy to reconsider, providing that she proves herself changed and repentant first."

"I'm glad," she said, giving him a small smile.

As he turned to leave, she took note of the confidence with which he carried himself. For most people, it would be entirely unnoticeable, but she had known her nephew for years...had raised him from the time he was ten. Being king had changed him, the subtle differences coming out in the way he interacted with her, with Catherine, with the servants, and with the army.

And she was proud of him.

***

Nathan glared at Sawyer as he entered, flinging the flap of the tent back and not requesting an audience before he came.

"Yes?" he said, drawing out the word, letting his frustration show.

"You've let the royal army know who you are!"

"Just my name," he said simply, smirking. "After all, what can they learn just by knowing my name?"

Sawyer glared at him. "I assume this is part of your foolish plan to let yourself be captured by the royal army and taken off to prison?"

"You would be correct," said Nathan, turning to the map before him. "I hope to be in their custody within a few days."

"You still haven't told me what this stupid plan of yours is going to accomplish," sneered Nathan's right hand man, his lip curling in disgust.

"I've told you before, and my answer has not changed. I have unfinished business to complete."

Sawyer rolled his eyes, before whipping his bow off his back and notching an arrow. "Go along with this...plan. I'm going on a hunt."

Nathan smirked as Sawyer left and leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms behind his head.

Unfinished business indeed.

***

Antony waited outside the stables for the stable boy to bring Emery so he could ride into King's City to speak with the magistrate and the captain of the royal guard there.

He was surprised when he looked up to see, not the stable boy, but a man whom, as he got closer, Antony recognized.

This man was the man he had lent money to in Hampshire.

The man handed him the reigns, not taking his gaze from Antony's. His features were fixed in a stubborn frown. He came to stand directly before Antony, straightening to his full height and still coming up a few inches short of being the same height as the king.

Antony frowned, crossing his arms. "May I help you?" he said, cautiously.

"King Antony," said the man. "I've come to return the money you lent me." He held out his hand, the ells glinting in the sunlight. Antony raised one eyebrow and shrugged.

"Keep it," he said. "I meant what I said when I told you it was a gift and there was no need to pay me back."

The man remained as he was, holding out his hand, for a few moments before finally clenching his fist over the money. "You seem fond of my sister."

Antony frowned. "Your...sister?" He studied the man for a moment before noticing the slight similarity in features between he and a person Antony knew well.

"You're Evan," he said. "Aren't you? Meredith's brother."

Evan nodded, one quick jerk of his head. "I will be honest with you, Sire," he said. "I don't like you very much. Your uncle gave your family a bad name."

Antony narrowed his eyes slightly. "I assure you: I am not the same man as my uncle. My intentions towards your sister are no less than honorable and I do not appreciate your bitter suspicions towards me. It would be ordinary to feel protective towards your sister, but you seem to be angry at me for something I had no part in. My uncle, King Rupert, is dead. He will do no more harm to Astoria."

Evan's frowned deepened but he said nothing.

Antony uncrossed his arms and mounted Emery. "If that will be all, I must bid you good day." Not waiting for Evan's answer, he turned to leave.

"You should know, Sire," said Evan, "that trust is hard to earn. I must let you know, however, that you have certainly surprised me so far. But you must understand that there is a fear, however present, that you will turn out to be just another Rupert."

Antony turned back to face him once more. "I suppose that only time and trial can prove to you what sort of man I am."

Evan nodded, grudgingly. "Don't hurt my sister," he said, simply. "King or not, I don't take kindly to people who hurt her."

"You should know that the only person who has ever attempted harm to your sister has been found out and I have personally sought out and dealt with the problem."

"So I've heard. News does travel among us servants."

Antony nodded."Then you should know that our desires are the same. Good day," he said, and spurred Emery into a gallop, leaving behind the unpleasant confrontation.

***

As the end of the week approached, the palace fell into a bustle of activity. The Princess Therese ran to and fro along the corridors and between the different ballrooms, ordering everyone around as new tapestries were hung, banisters were polished, and guest rooms were assigned. Antony spent most of his hours consulting with Kade on military moves or hiding in his study where, in the face of his aunt's winter gala enthusiasm, even paperwork sounded good.   Any spare time he had was spent escaping to the gardens for a walk with Meredith or taking refuge in the kitchens for dinner with her and with Ramona. His portrait finally finished, Aunt Therese was currently fussing over its placement in the portrait hall, where she would proudly show it to guests at the gala.

Isabella found herself less able to escape her mother's ministrations and was therefore subject to the torture of dress fitting after dress fitting. It was finally decided that she should wear a light rose pink ballgown that was fitted through the bodice only to fall into light layers of silk and tulle.

Therese, to her credit, had very much taken to heart the fact that Antony was in love with Meredith. Therefore, Meredith had been surprised to find herself pulled from Nash's room where she was entertaining him for the afternoon and forced to endure a dress fitting. By the end, Therese was satisfied, having told Meredith that she had "lovely skin" and "beautiful hair and eyes". A dress was ordered: a beautiful dress of light lavender. Although simple, the fitted bodice and empire waist suited Meredith and she made the creation shine.

About this time, Isabella finally revealed to her mother her relationship with Kade. Therese, after already having had to come to terms with Antony's courtship of Meredith, took this revelation well. Therefore, Kade and Antony soon found themselves forced into fittings for suit coats and dress shirts.

Nash continued to improve and, when Antony visited him during one of Meredith's absences for Therese's dress fitting, he revealed to his friend that he would "really like to dress fancy and come to the big party. Antony promised him that this could be arranged. Another day found the two of them making their way to the stables where Antony carried Nash to Emery and held him while he stroked the horse and fed him some sugar and carrots. He then lifted Nash into the saddle, swinging himself up behind the boy and taking him for a nice long ride around all the palace grounds. Antony remained completely unaware of the boy's older brother watching thoughtfully as the king, of all people, took time to make his disabled brother happy.

Nash returned that day in rapture, describing to Samantha and Prissy all that he had seen and how his "best friend Antony" had promised that they could do it again sometime.

Jade, uncomfortable with the palace, found herself feeling frequently out of place. Antony surprised her with the gift of a comfortable house in King's City and a job working in the kitchens with Ramona. Jade, pleased with the offer, gratefully accepted and she, Prissy, and Samantha moved in immediately. Nash, after begging to stay until the winter gala, was allowed his wish simply because his mother felt he was safest there. Evan also moved to the house, escorting his mother to and from the palace each morning and night and then going about his own job in the stables. Meredith remained at the palace with Nash.

As the date of the gala drew closer and closer, Meredith and Isabella began to anticipate the evening, Kade made his way home from a brief trip to check on the troops in Jurmala, Nash became almost giddy with excitement, Therese flew about the castle in a frenzy, and Antony received a message from the group of men sent to capture Nathan.

It contained a short note. Seven simple words.

Mission success. Bringing prisoner to King's City.

***

Antony had been entertaining Nash for Meredith when the message came. He read through the note, frowning.

What reason do they have for bringing the prisoner here so soon after his capture?

He folded the note, carefully, putting it in his pocket and turning back to Nash.

"Did someone send you a message?" asked the boy, curiously, leaning foward in his wheelchair, his hands clasped on his lap.

"Yes," said Antony, nodding.

"Like a secret message?"

"No...not exactly."

"What sort then?" he asked, adjusting the blanket over his knees. "Can I see? Who's it from?"

"It's from the men I sent to capture the man who hurt you."

Nash frowned, his fists clenching the arms of his chair. "What's it say?"

"They've taken him prisoner," he said, coming to kneel before the boy. "They're bringing him to King's City...here...to keep him prisoner." He rested a hand comfortingly on the boy's knee, noting the fear that had entered the boy's eyes at the mention of the man who had harmed him. "He won't hurt you. I promise."

"How do you know he won't?"

"Because," he said, calmly. "I won't let him. If he even tries, I'll defend you."

"Will you sword fight?"

"If I have to."

Nash finally managed a small smile. "My brother was wrong about you."

Antony forced himself not to look curious. "Your brother? Evan?"

Nash nodded. "He said you were bad 'cause your uncle was bad and your uncle killed my daddy and my other brother. Only..." The boy frowned. "I was a baby when they died so I never got to see them. But anyhow...You're a good king, not a bad one."

"Did Evan tell you about my uncle?"

"Well...no..." Nash smiled sheepishly. "I sort of listened to him talk to Mama and Mer sometimes at night when I should have been sleeping. They don't know. They didn't think you'd be a good ruler at first but now I think they know you are one. A good ruler, I mean."

Antony smiled at Nash, ruffling the boy's hair fondly. "Next time your mother tells you to get to sleep, you had probably better do it, alright?"

"Ok," said Nash, smiling. "Hey Antony?"

"Yes?"

"Do you like being a king?"

Antony looked at Nash thoughtfully. "I do, I suppose. More than I thought I would. I want to protect the people under me and make sure that they are taken care of. I enjoy doing it."

Nash smiled. "Do you know what I want to be when I grow up?"

"A soldier?" said Antony, remembering what the boy had said the other day.

The six-year-old shook his head. "I used to want to be a soldier," he corrected Antony. "Now I wanna be a king. Like you!" He grinned widely.

Antony smiled. "I think you'd make a very good king, Nash," he said.

Later that evening, Antony re-entered the palace after a review of the palace guard, removing his sword belt and laying it across his desk, stretching tiredly. It had been a long day of escaping his Aunt Therese, overseeing the guard, and attending a military meeting with the palace advisers, Kade, and several of the Captains of the Royal Army.

He sat down at his desk, too distracted at the moment to worry about removing the chainmail, shoulder armor, and cloak he had worn to review the guard.

Sighing, he forced himself to set aside the documents and the maps and simply sit back in his chair for a few moments. Just as he was starting to relax somewhat, there was a knock at the door to his study.

Sighing he straightened in his chair. "Come in," he said.

The door opened to reveal a flustered looking Fulton. "Sire, your soldiers have brought the prisoner to the palace."

Antony frowned. "To the palace?"

"Yes, Sire. The Captain in charge of the venture wishes to speak to you in the throne room."

Antony sat, dumbfounded, for a few moments before sighing. "Very well then, Fulton. Tell him I will be there momentarily."

Fulton bowed and left.

Antony remained seated for a short time, before standing and walking to the door.

On second thought... He turned and retrieved his sword belt, strapping it back around his waist. If I am to meet the prisoner, I may as well be prepared.

He entered the throne room, striding to his throne and taking a seat. Moments later, Captain Landon entered and bowed.

"You wished to speak with me, Captain Landon?" Antony addressed him, frowning slightly.

"I did," the captain nodded.

"Very well then. Proceed."

"We have done as you said, Sire, and taken the prisoner. Upon consideration, we have decided that it would be best if you...see him, Sire."

"Is there a particular reason?" Antony sat up somewhat straighter, a bit uncomfortable in his chainmail and armor and now regretting not taking it off.

"He has...after all...caused a great disruption to the empire..."

Antony frowned, feeling that Captain Landon meant more than he said. He sighed, closing his eyes momentarily, frustrated. "Very well," he finally said. "Bring him in."

Landon swallowed, nodded, and left the room.

Antony waited, frowning, wondering what the delay was.

Then, two guards opened the doors and a small procession of soldiers marched in. Four in front, two on each side of the prisoner, and four in back. The prisoner himself, from what Antony could see of him, had scruffy brown hair and a matching beard. He kept his head down turned as if he were defeated. A guard held each of his arms. On top of this defense, his hands were handcuffed behind his back.

Antony stood, remaining before his throne as the procession of guards stopped, several feet away. He watched as the men stepped aside, leaving the prisoner and his two guards standing before the king.

Time seemed to lose meaning as the prisoner lifted his head and grinned wickedly at Antony. Recognition settled in, weighing on Antony like a heavy burden, dread pulling him down, down, down... as the man spoke.

"Hello, dear little brother of mine. Did you miss me?"

***

Cliffhanger on purpose. Haha, love you all! ;)

The sidebar media is Joaquin Phoenix, the faceclaim for Nathan.

Plus, watch for a few possible faceclaim changes for main characters as I found a new site full of images where I can perhaps find fcs who fit my characters even better. :)

Ok, this chapter is dedicated to Malfoys_girl for her constant support of my story.

As for certain bolded words at the beginning of certain parts...trying something new. Bolded words will signal the start of chapters and the start of parts that skip forward in time more than a day. If I think it works, I'll change the other chapters to match. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

409 65 9
.⚘: IRA is the princess of Harryn, and the burden to find a king for her country and a husband for herself is becoming heavier and heavier. With her...
7.6K 223 30
Anastasia also known as Ana is the princess of a kingdom called Salona in Greece. She's very loved by her kingdom but not so much by her family. Her...
2K 239 60
After a failed assassination attempt, a princess leaves her life in a magical world to live a normal life among humans, but leaving royal life behind...
Above All By bb2410

General Fiction

49.6K 6.1K 110
"I mean what's a party if they're no Idizians, am I right?" The night of the Day of Doves changes everything for Amani Cloutier, a 27-year old top ag...