Dog Days: Book One

By Crimson_Graves

BOOK ONE She had her whole life planned. What she didn't plan for was the zombie apocalypse. Eighteen-year... More

IMPORTANT
Dog Days
Cast
Part One
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
Part Two
19
20
22
23
24
25
26
27
Part Three
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
Sequel: Rabid Nights
~Fanworks~
Playlist
BONUS CHAPTER #1
BONUS CHAPTER #2

21

2.7K 197 174
By Crimson_Graves

Knock, knock, knock.

The repetitive tapping bounced around the spacious room, ripping Arryn out of her empty dream. Her eyes fluttered open to find the ceiling bathed in sunlight. She lowered her gaze to the clock on the wall, which continued it's ticking.

Dad? She thought, glancing at the doorway.

The knocks repeated. Moments later the door creaked open to find her childhood doctor walking into the room.

"Arryn? Are you awake?" Dr. Martin's soothing voice questioned.

"Yes," Arryn answered with sleep still lingering in her voice.

She looked just as Arryn remembered. Black, wavy hair rested on her shoulders. Her doe eyes shone a dark brown. In the sunlight, her light brown skin seemed to radiate.

"How are you feeling?" Dr.Martin asked. She took a seat beside Arryn on the bed and placed her cold hand on Arryn's forehead. "You feel warm."

Arryn shifted her position, attempting to sit up. The world started spinning, and within seconds she came crashing back down on the pillow. Damp moisture clung to the back of her neck, sticking strands of her hair onto her skin.

"You've got a fever." Dr. Martin pursued her pink lips together in thought. "How long did your wound go untreated?"

"Five, maybe six hours." Her heart picked up its pace within her chest."Am I going to be okay?"  She thought she was in the clear.

"We caught Dante's within two hours of infection. His had only just started to spread. I think since we caught yours so late, it's going to take more effort for your body to fight it off."

Her heart settled slightly at the hopeful prognosis.

"My dad, has he left already?"

"Yes, they left as soon as the sun came up. I've been instructed to watch you closely and make sure you rest today."

"I don't want to feel useless. Is there anything I can help do from bed?" Arryn asked as her fingers brushed against the sweaty skin on her palm.

"Yes. You can sleep," Dr. Martin replied. "I'm going to get you something to eat and some more medicine. After that, I expect you to rest. Doctor's orders." She winked at her own joke.

"Fine," Arryn agreed. Dr. Martin did have a point. Arryn felt exhausted like she had just finished running a marathon. Each breath she took sent an ache over her body. Pressure built up in her temple as a headache threatened to form.

"Be right back," Dr. Martin said, patting Arryn's hand. With a nod from Arryn, she stood up from the bed and exited the room.

Throughout the day, Arryn dozed in and out of consciousness. Sometimes when she opened her eyes, she would have visitors sitting with her. Other times she would be alone.

The aches seemed to lessen as the day passed. Her worry for her father, however, grew stronger every time she woke up to see him not sitting by her bed.

Everyone who wasn't on bed rest had been hard at work all day. Claire and Trinity spent most of the day working outside. Claire visited her with dried mud along her skin and clothes. Apparently, they were trying to make an area suitable for growing crops.

When Austin visited, he informed her that he and Mateo took a tour around the property with Dante. Tonight, he and Mateo were supposed to take shifts guarding the house.

The darker it got, the more worried she became. She no longer felt the need to sleep. Her aches had vanished. Her fever broken.

At eight, she slipped out of bed. Her weak legs threatened to give out underneath her, but she fought it making her way to the door. Turning the knob, she pulled open the door to hear a bustle of voices coming from downstairs. The beginning steps were a challenge, but by the time she reached the stairway, she had become accustomed to the feeble nature.

"They should have been back by now. Something happened," Dr. Martin's voice sounded, leading Arryn to freeze in her tracks.

"Maybe the ran into more survivors?" Claire suggested hopefully.

"More like they ran into more Rabids. I should have gone with them," Austin sighed.

"What could you have done that they couldn't?"

"Well for starters, it's another person to watch their backs. Four is better than three. I've also prepared for this type of situation for a good while now."

"Austin, are you seriously trying to tell me that you're more prepared than all of us because of those stupid video games you always played?" Claire scoffed.

"The similarities are pretty spot on so far. Aim for the head. Bites turn you. Enhanced abilities. Rapidly spread. Please stop me when you find an inconsistency."

"Guys, keep your voices down. We're going to wake Arryn. She'll be expecting her father and I don't know how to tell her he isn't back yet," Dr. Martin instructed.

Arryn gulped as an all to familiar pressure formed on her chest. She sat on the stairway, placing her head in between her knees. Tears slipped down her cheeks.

He shouldn't have gone. He should have stayed here with me. It was too risky. I can't lose him. I just got him back.

A hand on her back made her jump. Claire sat next to her, giving her a solemn look. She could see the apologetic look behind her eyes.

"You scared the crap out of me," Arryn breathed. She wiped away the tears still trickling down her face.

"Sorry. I kind of heard you sobbing from the kitchen. Don't listen to Austin. He's being an insensitive douche bag." Claire's hand patted her back again.

"He's probably right. They should have been back by now. Something probably happened."

"You saw how long it took us to get here. Maybe the roadways are bad. Or maybe they really did find some more survivors."

"You don't really believe that." Arryn shook her head doubtfully.

"I do," Claire disagreed.

Just then headlights peeled through the windows. Arryn felt her heart skyrocket. "Dad!"

"Told you," Claire said smugly with a smile.

Arryn shot up and flew down the steps. Dizziness washes over her at how fast she was moving, but she pushed through it. She wanted to see her father.

Just then the door busted open. A sweaty Mateo darted inside with a panicked expression on his face. "Dr. Martin! Hurry! Jonathan's been shot!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.4K 2K 43
Natalie Kotov is a 20 year old women, who has had enough experience in violence for multiple life times. She finds herself in jail, until one day she...
390K 19.6K 36
When you are infected with the virus, there are four stages. 1) Your fever will shoot up and everything will become intensified on a maximum level. Y...
3.3K 347 25
Z-Virus Book 1 It was the second week of July, the first day of school when a plague has started to spread inside Cester High, a private school locat...
22.3K 2K 51
Against all odds, Em has found protection in Carnelian but time has taught her something is always around the corner and she knows better than to dro...