Surfacing

By CateMasters

More

Surfacing

162 0 0
By CateMasters

My contemporary fantasy, Surfacing, made it to the first round of the Amazon Breakthrough Novel contest in 2009. Previously with a small publisher, I've revised it and re-released it on Amazon and Smashwords. I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks for any feedback!

Book blurb

 AJ Dillon is trouble. The former lead singer of an indie band has no home, no money and no future. His grandfather is the only relative willing to take another chance on him. AJ arrives in Weeki Wachee, Florida, with his guitar, a few clothes and a bad attitude. The only good thing about Weeki Wachee is the ocean -- the one place AJ feels at home.

Grandpa lines up a job for AJ at Weeki Wachee Springs, where beautiful women perform as mermaids. Grandpa says real mermaids exist, but AJ doesn’t believe – until he meets Cassiopeia. She helps his passion for music resurface. But greedy Chaz finds out about her, and threatens to kill them if AJ doesn't go along with his plan to make a fortune with a real mermaid show. Can AJ save Cassie, even if it means losing her?

Chapter One

AJ stood on the broken concrete step at 217 Shoal Line Boulevard, the salty Gulf air carrying the crash of waves, the piercing cry of a seagull. Sweat beaded on his forehead. Even at six in the evening, the sun beat on him with brutal intensity. He’d forgotten how damn hot Florida could be if you weren’t at a water park, or swimming, or indoors in air conditioning, say, at a movie theater, your fingers working behind a girl’s bra.

He closed his eyes and inhaled. Get it over with. As he raised his hand to knock, the door burst open.

The old man glared at him. “What the hell are you smiling about?”

AJ adjusted the strap of his duffel bag. “Hello, Grandpa.”

“Don’t stand on the porch looking like an idiot. I’m not cooling the outside.”

Some things never changed. His grandfather’s expressions, for instance.

AJ stepped inside the dark bungalow and winced. A pungent smell assaulted his senses, stale air conditioning and mustiness. An old man smell. Though in truth, Grandpa wasn’t so old. Sixty-seven. Dark hair sprinkled with silver with a touch of gray at his short sideburns. Barrel-chested, with a slim waist. Still handsome and virile, according to Mom.

“Now what?” With his downturned mouth, Grandpa looked like a bulldog. But his bark had always been worse than his bite.

“Maybe you should air the place out.” Or clean it. Or maybe get away from it once in awhile.

Grandpa went to the kitchen, separated from the living room by a half-wall. “Put your things in the room at the end of the hall.”

As his eyes adjusted to the dim light, familiar images came into view: the same old couch. The velvet painting of Elvis hanging in the living room over the credenza holding an Elvis figurine, an Elvis music box. On every shelf and tabletop, folk art carvings of mermaids Grandpa had carved since Mom was little.

Yup, some things never changed. In this house, it was still the 1960s.

AJ carried his bag and guitar case down the narrow hallway. He shoved open the door—the wood had swelled, making it stick—and blew through his lips. With the shades drawn, the bedroom had no more light than the rest of the house. The bed, bureau and desk were in the same place they had always been. His memories of this room, unlike the stale of the rest of the house, came back fresh.

From the kitchen, his grandfather yelled, “Don’t mind the mess.”

“No problem.” Yeah, the boxes were new. Grandpa had retired eight months ago (AJ could imagine the local high school kids’ collective sigh of relief as English class became less daunting), and probably alleviated his boredom by packing up old stuff. A lot of it might have been Grandma’s, though AJ had never known her. Boxes overstuffed with clothes and shoes, old photo albums, letters tied into bundles with ribbons. Boxes on the floor, on the bed.

At least here, he had a bed. At his cousin Ned’s apartment, he’d had to sleep on the sofa. With two cats. Listening to Ned and his girlfriend bang away. The night she slipped out of Ned’s room wearing nothing but her flimsy robe and let it fall open as she straddled him on the sofa, well, all hell had broken loose. Man, he was only human. Ned would have done the same thing. But Ned didn’t want to hear it.

AJ pulled up the blinds of the windows, taller than him and as wide as they were tall.

After he stacked all the boxes in rows along the wall, he sat on the bed beneath the windows. Though they were overdue for a wash, the bed had sheets and a cover. He could do laundry. He wasn’t as useless as his mother had accused him of being when she kicked him out.

Not a bad room, really. He’d remembered it as larger, but he’d been a kid then. A shrimp, at seven years old.

Not like he had a choice now.

He went to the kitchen, where Grandpa scowled at the newspaper as he sat by the sliding glass doors at the same yellow flecked Formica table he and Grandpa and Mom sat around so many years ago. About the only normalcy AJ had ever known.

Grandpa peered over his bifocals. “I made a pot of meatballs. Make yourself a sandwich.”

“OK.” AJ stifled a wince as he lifted the lid. Even the meatballs looked worn out. He wondered how many times his grandfather had reheated them. Except for a pack of crumbled vending machine crackers hastily bought at the station and not so hastily eaten on the bus, AJ hadn’t had any food since last night.

Though Grandpa turned the page of the newspaper, AJ felt the weight of his attention, his constant assessment, as he said, “Still make my own sauce. Tomatoes grow like weeds down here. Go on, eat. Plates are in the cupboard. Rolls are there on the counter. They’re a bit crusty.”

Crusty. Another word for old. The roll resisted the knife as AJ cut.

The old man winked. “It’ll put hair on your chest. Eh?” His raucous laugh bounced off the tan linoleum decoratedwith seashells. As a boy, AJ pretended he walked on the ocean floor instead of a tiny kitchen. Before the floor had cracked. As far as he could tell, his grandfather hadn’t made any improvements to the place since then. Like an unkempt museum to the past. Maybe now he had retired, Grandpa would see just how faded and worn it all looked.

He sat opposite his grandfather and shoved the sauce-soaked roll to his mouth.

His grandfather folded the newspaper and leveled his gaze at him. “Tomorrow morning, we’re going to see my friend Tobias. He has the perfect job for you.”

“Perfect.” AJ could imagine. At this point, he couldn’t argue. Later, he’d search for a better job. Right now, he had to keep his grandfather happy so he wouldn’t kick him out like everyone else.

As the roll crunched in his teeth, AJ looked out the doors. Outside, palm trees, hibiscus and ferns rimmed the flagstone patio. They were all taller now, tall enough to act as a hedge. Beyond, a glimmer of white atop cerulean blue: the ocean. The one place that felt like home.

After he’d turned seven, his mom had moved him across a succession of states, farther north each time. South Carolina. Virginia. New Jersey, starting in Cape May, then Atlantic City, to Long Beach. Always in view of the ocean.

In his teens, after one of the many bands he’d joined finally found some success, AJ toured with them. They usually traveled farther inland, and AJ didn’t see the ocean for months. It left him unsettled, until he came within a mile of the shore and his skin could absorb the salty breeze, and he could almost feel the wet sand on his feet.

His grandfather stood and hobbled to the fridge. “Want a beer?”

AJ choked down the stale roll. “Sure.”

Grandpa set a can on the table. “First one’s free.” He wheezed a laugh, which became a loud clearing of his throat. He pushed open the sliding glass doors, stepped onto the patio. No sooner had he sat on a metal glider, he began working a knife against a block of wood.

AJ followed and filled his lungs with the ocean breeze. “You still carving mermaids?”

Grandpa held it at arm’s length. “Trying to. It’s not so easy, with eyes as bad as mine.”

“Maybe you need new glasses.” AJ sipped his beer. His grandfather would be true to his word. With exactly seventy-two cents in his pocket, AJ wanted to make the beer last. In a few weeks, a paycheck might be coming. If he could stand the job until then.

Grandpa harrumphed. “A new car, too, while you’re at it.”

AJ sat next to him. “Let me see.”

His grandfather held it up as tenderly as if it were glass. The rough outline showed a flipper curving to a tail up to a slim waist, ample breasts concealed by clam shells. The face he always left until last. Then he’d become frustrated, say he could never get it right. And start a new one.

“Beautiful as ever.” AJ stifled a grin. “For once, though, I wish you’d leave the shells off.”

“Pah. You’re still a kid. You don’t know anything.”

AJ twisted the ring off the can. “Oh, I know a few things. I’m not so little anymore.”

His grandfather chuckled. “Twenty one is still a baby. A baby. You live to be my age, then you’ll know something.”

“Like what?” AJ liked this game. One of the few family traditions they had.

“Like everything.” He stared out through the ferns to where people still wandered the beach, playing Frisbee, flying a kite, walking. “Like life.”

The sun dipped its edge into the water, sending a flotilla of rays toward them.

“Like mermaids?” AJ tipped the can to his lips and watched his grandfather’s reaction.

Grandpa gripped the glider’s arm. “Someday you’ll know–you don’t know as much as you think you know.”

“I know.” He made his face as innocent-looking as the day he and Mom moved out.

Grandpa did a double-take, then waved away his remark.

AJ chuckled.

Pushing himself up, Grandpa stood, looking out toward the waves. “I’m going to watch the news, then go to bed. If you know what’s good for you, you’ll get a good night’s rest. Tomorrow will be a long day at work.” He looked at AJ pointedly. “Work–remember what work is?”

His grandfather never acknowledged the grueling schedule of his band as work.

Three years ago, he’d left home, sure his indie band would hit MTV’s Top 10 play list. They played for hours, till his fingers were numb from the guitar strings. Crashed into bed at four or five, then got up to work at the convenience store, then perform at another gig.

At first, the band had had few bookings. After the lead singer left, AJ stepped to the mike in his place. Girls loved him. More gigs followed. When the drummer’s girlfriend came on to him, AJ knew it was a bad move, but he’d had too much to drink, and she looked hotter than any girl he’d seen in months. The drummer was a good guy. He didn’t deserve it. Didn’t deserve her either, though. She could make her own decisions, couldn’t she? Still, AJ didn’t blame him for leaving, but AJ’s indiscretion ended their band. A year ago, the band bottomed out, unable to find another good drummer.

So much for dreams.

His mom put up with him for eight months as he lie on the sofa, remote in hand, complaining no good shows ever played on TV. He hated TV. Mostly because his band would never be on it. Not now.

AJ rocked the glider back. He knew about work, all right. Grueling work. “If I don’t remember, you’ll remind me.”

“Damn right.” Grandpa opened the door, then paused. “Welcome home, boy.”

He wanted to say thanks, good to be home, but his throat tightened, and he didn’t trust himself to say anything for fear of blubbering. Doing so would spawn relentless reminders from the old man.

With a nod, he bit his lip.

He finished his beer as the sun disappeared into the sea, an orange-gold ball of flame he’d be cursing tomorrow.

Chapter Two

Since AJ was born, all he’d heard about were the Weeki Wachee mermaids. He knew the history of the place as if Grandpa had lived it. Since 1947, Weeki Wachee Springs boasted the country’s only mermaid show. Nineteen women trained for months to perform acrobatics and theatrics, from the Underwater Follies to Pocahontas to the Little Mermaid. Holding their breath for up to two and a half minutes, the costumed mermaids glided and twirled through the crystal clear spring water, did choreographed moves and their most impossible feat–drinking cola and eating underwater.

The way his grandfather talked about Weeki Wachee, the Olympics were remiss in not having a mermaid competition.

Grandpa pulled into the parking lot. “Here we are. Tobias is waiting.”

AJ shut the door of the old Caprice. “Sweet.”

When he rounded the back of the car, he noticed the bumper sticker: Have you hugged a mermaid today?

“Grandpa.”

His grandfather’s bulldog face peered over the car roof. “What?”

He winced. “Nice bumper sticker.”

“It’s the town’s livelihood. You expect me not to support it? And soon it’ll be supporting you. Now come on.” As he turned, Grandpa muttered, “Even the mayor performed as a mermaid, but is that good enough for my grandson?”

AJ suspected the bumper sticker to be more than a show of support for the locals.

In a showdown with his will, AJ walked like Brando across the blacktop, already sizzling with waves of rising heat.

Grandpa led him through the gate. Tobias stood outside, supervising the landscapers’ work.

When his grandfather announced AJ, Tobias’ face fell as his gaze skipped from AJ’s near-shoulder-length, layered hair to his faded T-shirt to his worn jeans, but he forced a smile and shook hands. “Good to see you again, AJ. Go speak with Harry. He’ll get you set up.”

AJ walked in the direction Tobias had jerked his head. On the walls inside the entrance were photos of celebrities who’d visited Weeki Wachee over the years, including a young Elvis with several smiling blondes. He’d have to ask his grandfather about it.

A man who looked to be fiftyish stood speaking to a trim young woman with blonde hair flowing down her back. The girl smiled at AJ as she left. The man’s name tag read Harry.

“Hi, I’m AJ Dillon. Tobias sent me.” He held out his hand.

Harry shook it. “Good, you’re early. Come with me.”

As if he had a choice, on either count.

AJ followed him down a hall, where Harry unlocked the door marked Storage and switched on the light. “What size shirt are you?”

“Large.” At five eleven, he gave up hope as ever qualifying for the Tall size.

From a box on the shelf, Harry pulled a polo shirt with the Weeki Wachee logo and handed it to AJ. “Put this on.”

AJ pulled off his T-shirt, put on the polo, then followed Harry to the Employees Only door.

“Here are the lockers to stow your personal effects. Can you drive a boat?”

AJ threw his T-shirt into an empty locker. “Yeah, sure.” His total experience encompassed a few midnight excursions with high school buddies, liberating a vessel or two from its dock, but the Weeki Wachee pontoons weren’t exactly speed boats requiring any real expertise.

“Good. We’ll put you on as cruise pilot this afternoon. Marge is sick, so you’ll man the ticket booth this morning until Bob comes in. Then come to the Wilderness River Cruise and I’ll get you started there.”

Before leaving the booth, Harry glared at him. “Make sure the cash box has the right amount at the end of your shift.”

AJ shrugged. “Sure.”

“First show’s at ten.” Harry nodded toward the parking lot. “Here come your first customers.”

Sure enough, a man and woman with two young girls walked toward the booth. What began as a trickle of people became a steady stream carrying the morning away.

Before AJ knew it, Bob showed up to take his place, smiling. His gold chains drew attention from his dull teeth and slicked-back hair, too black for his wrinkled face. AJ wondered if everyone in Weeki Wachee belonged to AARP.

The booth became two sizes too small as Bob stepped in. “How’s your first day so far? Pretty good?”

If pretty good excluded being so bored he wanted to crash his skull against the baked pavement rather than spend another split second in the booth selling tickets, then yes, AJ’s day so far had been pretty good. The intermittent show times left no down time, but the work numbed his brain.

Except for the mermaids. The only thing bearable about the job. Three had stopped on their way inside to say hello. AJ spent the rest of the morning imagining them in and out of their costumes.

“Yeah. Pretty good.” AJ hoped he’d added the correct inflection to feign enthusiasm. He went to find Harry.

The noon show drew him to the immense glass wall of the Underwater Theater. Though at least half the audience hadn’t reached puberty, all watched in rapt admiration as three mermaids swirled and spun while they swam.

Their long hair fanned from their heads in the clear spring waters. Like a spotlight from heaven, shafts of sunlight illuminated the mermaids. If he hadn’t seen them walking into the building in their T-shirts and shorts this morning, heard one complain about her husband, it would be easy to believe they were the real thing. Especially with the stingray gliding past them as if they’d been lifelong neighbors. They swam with such graceful movements, seemingly unburdened by their cumbersome tails. His grandfather said the things weighed a ton. But then the mermaids reached for the air hoses and broke the illusion.

“Pretty hot for fish, huh?” said a man beside him.

His name tag said Chaz. He wore wrinkled blue overalls and the shifty look of a street corner hawker. His goatee looked unnervingly even, as if he took pains to ensure every hair followed a straight line. Something about his intense grey eyes made AJ want to make sure his wallet still resided in his pocket. The fact he stood a few inches shorter than AJ added to his ratlike appearance.

“They’re mammals,” AJ deadpanned.

“What?” Befuddled, the guy clutched his broom, then broke out in a grin. “Oh, yeah, smart guy. They’re still hot. I’d like to catch one in my net.”

AJ gave a snort. “Yeah, you and my Grandpa.”

Chaz flashed brilliant white teeth in a smile. “You’re new here. I’m Chaz.”

With a nod, he answered, “AJ.”

“So the old man’s got the hots for the mermaids?” Chaz leaned closer.

The sudden need for a buffer zone made AJ step back. “Ever since I was little. He carves one every chance he gets.”

“Carves them?” Chaz’s interest level ratcheted upward in a shot.

“Yeah, out of wood. Not half bad, either.” Something about the way Chaz looked at him gave AJ the willies. Like ants crawled over his skin instead of Chaz’s penetrating gaze. Though he got the feeling Chaz didn’t trust what anyone said.

A sparkle lit Chaz’s eyes. “He should sell ‘em. In the gift shop. They’d go like hot cakes.”

AJ could just see the old man’s face if someone ever suggested it. “No, he’d never sell any of them. Says he’s trying to make one to look like the one he saw back in 1958.”

Chaz leapt on the revelation like a barn cat on a mouse. “Here?”

“No. Out there.” AJ jerked his head toward the sea.

Confused, Chaz said, “Nah, these girls have performed here since the 1940s, but nowhere else but in these spring waters.”

“I know the history.” Baiting Chaz was the most fun he’d had in a long time.

“So what’re you sayin’?” Chaz paled. “You mean… a real mermaid?”

AJ shrugged. “So he says.”

Chaz poked at AJ’s chest, his eyes wide. “I’ve been reading up on it. Guys swear they’ve seen the real thing. All over the world.”

“Grandpa swears she was the real deal.” AJ didn’t know why he tormented the guy, added fuel to the guy’s insane fire. And Chaz burned bright.

“Hey, man, I would love to talk to him. Maybe we can all get together. After work.” Again, Chaz stood too close for comfort.

A funny feeling snuck over AJ. Fun was fun, but this guy needed to tone down his intensity. Or learn where to draw the line. “I shouldn’t have said anything. Grandpa doesn’t like to talk about it.”

“AJ,” said an angry voice down the hall.

He wheeled to face a stern-faced Harry. “You were supposed to come find me fifteen minutes ago.”

Immediately, Chaz began working his broom and dust pan, sweeping as if he’d been passing by.

AJ straightened his stance. “Sorry, sir. I lost track of time.” Damn, he hadn’t even had time to eat lunch.

Harry glared at Chaz. “Don’t let it happen again. Let’s go, people are lining up. I’ll go with you on the first ride, then you’re on your own.”

Chaz continued to shuffle down the aisle, sweeping wrappers and ticket stubs into his long-handled dust pan.

AJ followed Harry into the blazing sunlight, where he got into a golf cart and started it. AJ hopped on, and they drove down the walkway.

AJ gripped the seat as Harry jerked the cart around pedestrians.

“First thing every day, it’s important to check the river level. If it’s low, then you won’t be able to take as many passengers. You’ll learn to gauge it.”

Maybe the river cruise would be more interesting than the ticket booth. But it wouldn’t take much.

At the dock, Harry whooshed the cart to a stop outside the open-sided, thatched-roofed hut marked Wilderness Cruise Entrance. Four adults waited on the bench inside as a whirl of kids chased each other, screaming and laughing.

Harry strode past them. “No running on the dock, please. Folks, the cruise will depart in five minutes.” He pulled a key from his pocket and handed it to AJ as they walked toward the boat. “You drive, I’ll talk. After today, you’ll have to do both. You’re not afraid of crowds, are you?”

AJ thought of being onstage, swarms of girls swaying to his music. He preferred his crowds to be of a certain gender, age and shape, but no, crowds didn’t faze him. “No, sir.”

Harry brightened. “Good. I’ll give you a copy of the script to bring home so you can study it. You’ll also have to learn the local wildlife–alligators, snapping turtles, herons, ducks, pelicans, otters. Whatever you happen to see along the way.”

Great. A job with homework. Guess the old man thought it would help keep AJ out of trouble.

Still, he liked cruising the river better than sitting in a damn booth.

Harry pointed at the engine. “Set it in the water.”

AJ unlatched it and tilted the propellers underwater. He must have done it right, or Harry would have corrected him. AJ sat in the pilot’s seat as Harry went on.

“Wait until everyone’s seated. Another tip: don’t let people on right away. Youngsters get bored and tend to climb. Two fell in last year. It’s your job to fish them out.” Harry checked his watch. “It’s time. I’ll get the gate.” He walked back to the chain across the dock and unhooked one side. “All right, folks. Watch your step getting on. One at a time. Slowly, please.”

Chapter Three

By the third cruise, AJ knew most of the spiel. Navigating the river filled him with a sense of calm. The slow rhythm of the boat, the groan of the propellers against the water eased his tightened nerves like subliminal music, the low hum and harmony of predictability. Security. Working here might become a liability if he became too comfortable with its lull. At least the thirty-minute ride meant no one group rode long enough to annoy him. Occasionally, a young mom or pretty teen would smile at him in an inviting way. Those type of smiles could lead to trouble, but there was nothing in the rule book saying AJ couldn’t look.

As the last passenger climbed off the boat, Harry slapped AJ’s shoulder. “Good job. Most first-timers have trouble bringing the boat to the dock, but you did very well.”

AJ stood to slide away from the man’s grasp. “Thanks.”

“Secure the engine. Wait until morning to refuel so no one can steal the gas.”

The late afternoon sun got underneath his shirt as AJ walked to the locker room.

As he pulled out his T-shirt, Chaz strolled in. “Hey, AJ, glad I caught you. I’ve been thinkin’ about our conversation earlier.”

“Yeah?” AJ focused on the inside of the locker, though it held nothing.

Chaz clamped his hand on AJ’s shoulder, and spoke in the low voice of a confidante. “I have a lot of questions I need answers to. Take me to see the old man, will you?”

Tired of the conversation, AJ slammed his locker shut. “I can’t. He’ll kick me out for telling you.” Maybe the guy would shut up now.

Chaz pressed closer. “Come on. I just need to ask him some questions.”

AJ rolled his polo shirt tight. He should have kept his own mouth shut, then he wouldn’t have to deal with this piranha nibbling him to death.

Chaz bit his lip. His face twitched his eyes wide. “I know. Invite him out to dinner. I’ll run into you, by accident, and bring it up. You know, in casual conversation.”

AJ laughed. “The fact my grandfather saw an actual mermaid? Or thinks he did,” he said, mostly to himself. Grandpa had only said it once or twice, and the strange look on his face meant he was somehow testing the waters, either teasing AJ or gauging his reaction. Now this dude wouldn’t let it go. “You’ll just happen to mention it.”

“No, I’ll talk about the show, and the mermaids here.” Chaz’s smooth tone attempted to soothe and sway. “Then I’ll say I’ve always wanted to see an honest-to-God mermaid.”

What was wrong with this creep? AJ needed some distance. “He’ll see right through you. And kick me out.”

Chaz mock-punched his shoulder. “I’ll buy your grandpa some beers. It’ll be a good time.”

He shifted out of Chaz’s reach. “Maybe some other night, dude.”

When AJ got home, Grandpa sat at the kitchen table, stone-faced and glassy-eyed as he looked outside. His grandfather spent too much time at home by himself, looking out the damn window or watching TV. A night out wasn’t such a bad idea after all.

“Hey, Grandpa.” He roused his grandfather from his reverie.

“Oh. AJ. How was work.” Grandpa’s voice held no energy. He blinked hard as if to clear his vision, put on his reading glasses and picked up the newspaper.

AJ poured a glass of tap water and gulped it down, though it tasted of seaweed, or worse. “Good. I want to take you out tonight. To celebrate.”

Grandpa grunted. “Spending your money before you make it, eh?”

“To thank you. For helping me.” AJ leaned against the fridge. “What do you say?”

His grandfather turned in his seat. “I say… why not. It’s about time you paid me back for something.”

AJ grinned. “My thought exactly.” He rinsed his glass. “But you’ll have to lend it to me first.”

Chapter Four

Mel’s Bar sat along the waterfront, the Gulf of Mexico lapping at the pier beyond the street. Grandpa pulled up outside, stepped out of his Caprice and stretched.

The door creaked as AJ climbed out. He started toward the entrance, then realized his grandfather wasn’t following.

The old man looked out over the sun-kissed waves as if hypnotized by their rhythm.

AJ opened his mouth to call to him, but held back. The sea always distracted his grandfather, and sometimes seemed to overwhelm him.

A motorcycle slowed, its roar breaking the silence. Just beyond where Grandpa stood, the rider steered it into the lot and revved its engine as he halted it in a parking space.

Grandpa glanced at AJ and grunted. “What are you waiting for? Let’s get out of this heat and get a table.”

AJ bounded to the door and held it open. The motorcycle guy strolled through. His grandfather followed.

Closing the door, AJ blinked to adjust his eyesight to the dark interior. No wonder the old man liked this place. Its dim lights must remind him of home.

Grandpa, midway past the bar, waved at the man behind it.  “Hey Mel. You remember AJ?”

AJ nodded at the man, who looked to be in his sixties, his leathery skin a tan so deep, it wouldn’t fade if he summered at the Arctic Circle. AJ didn’t remember Mel any more than Mel remembered him.

“How’s it going?” Mel wiped a beer glass with a white cloth, keenly eyeing AJ. “Take a table anywhere. I’ll send Sandra over with some menus.”

His grandfather headed to the corner booth and wedged himself into the seat. From there, he had a clear view of the Gulf.

As soon as AJ sat, a woman arrived. “Hello, Walt. Haven’t seen you in awhile. Who’s your friend?” She smiled at AJ.

Short, and thick around the middle, her gold bracelets jingled as she handed them each a menu. Her heavy makeup, with alarmingly red hair and lipstick to match, made it difficult to pinpoint her age. Gold hoop earrings and three golden necklaces distracted from her face.

“My grandson. AJ, this is Sandra.” Grandpa’s voice turned conspiratorial. “Mel’s wife. So don’t get any funny ideas.” He winked at the waitress.

“Oh, Walt.” Her loud giggle attracted the glances of a few patrons. She asked AJ, “Are you as big a flirt as your grandfather?”

“No.” The question caught AJ off guard. A flirt. He’d never used the adjective in conjunction with Grandpa, but there he was, ordering a pitcher of beer in the same tone as he might use to ask whether Sandra had plans for Saturday night.

Sandra swished away from their table to fetch the pitcher.

Grandpa grimaced at the menu. “What?”

AJ stifled a grin. “Nothing. I never knew you were a ladies’ man, that’s all.”

His gruff tone took AJ by surprise. “Nonsense. Don’t say such things. You’ll incite idle gossip.”

“No, I–”

Grandpa poked the tabletop. “And gossip hurts people. Innocent people.”

“Sorry. I didn’t mean anything.” AJ looked at the menu to avoid his grandfather’s scrutiny. He hadn’t said it, for chrissakes.

When Sandra returned for their orders, Grandpa kept his conversation polite but abrupt as he asked for the crab cake special. Sandra’s head bobbed uncertainly, her eyes wide. To ease the tension, AJ spoke to her as if she were a favorite aunt, and smiled as he handed her the menus.

Grandpa folded his hands on the table. “Tell me about work. How was it?”

“Good.” He shrugged, avoiding eye contact and hoping his grandfather wouldn’t read into his noncommittal tone.

“You’re in trouble already?” His grandfather always could pick up the subtlest cues.

Grandpa’s glare made AJ shift in his seat. “No, it went well. Tobias did suggest I not…” He pursed his lips and looked out the window. Maybe now was not the time to tell the old man he’d been reprimanded for watching the mermaids perform.

“Not what?” The teacher in Grandpa surfaced at awkward times, always ready to grade his performance.

AJ leaned across the table. If anyone would understand an obsession with mermaids, it would be Grandpa. “They’re hypnotic. I watched them for a minute, and forgot everything.”

The gleam in his grandfather’s eye told AJ he understood, all right, though he didn’t move a muscle. “The mermaids.” His voice sounded as far away as his gaze.

“It’s like they cast a spell on me or something.” Turned him on, more like. Their flowing hair, their slow movements oozed sensuality.

Grandpa snapped his menu open. “Pah. They’re not the real thing. When you see a real mermaid, you’re changed forever.”

Whoa, there it was. And without any coaxing. Better yet, without Chaz around. “Tell me.”

His grandfather leaned an arm against the back of the booth. “What?”

AJ leaned further, not deterred by his grandfather’s sudden coyness. “About them. The mermaids. You saw a real one, didn’t you.”

As if gauging his sincerity, Grandpa looked him over: AJ waited with his entire body, listening with full attention. So neither of them noticed anyone approach.

“AJ, my man. Funny runnin’ into you here.” Beer bottle in hand, Chaz stood at their table. Everything about him looked slick, from his gelled hair to his tight black T-shirt to his wide black belt.

Chaz’s steady smile failed to put AJ at ease. His eyes twitched wide, then narrowed, in a gotcha kind of way. His eyes glasslike, he aimed his plastered-on smile at Grandpa. “Hey, how you doin’? I’m Chaz. I work with AJ.”

Grandpa turned his head slowly and raised an eyebrow. “Is that so.” His tone indicated doubt, likely about how much Chaz worked. He appeared none too happy to make Chaz’s acquaintance.

Nor was AJ happy to see him. He’d interrupted a critical moment–Grandpa looked on the verge of revealing, at long last, his secret.

Chaz glanced from the old man to AJ. “You know, I’m here by myself. Mind if I join youse?”

A sudden irritation came over AJ at the lilt of Chaz’s voice, the mobster inflection that rose, then fell at the end of each sentence. He shoved in beside AJ before either could answer. “I ain’t interruptin’, am I?” The way he smiled at AJ, he knew he had. It appeared to magnify his craving to hear Grandpa’s story.

AJ sat back against the booth. “No, we were just…” He glanced at his grandfather, whose narrowed eyes and unmoving stature worried AJ a bit. Grandpa did not like Chaz one iota. An unerring judge of character, his grandfather had divined Chaz had none. Chaz’s poor grammar would have further chafed him.

“Young man,” Grandpa boomed. “We were just discussing mermaids.”

The conversational bait hung heavy on his grandfather’s breath.

Chaz’s wide eyes glazed like a junkie about to score a fix. “Yeah?”

AJ held claim over this territory, and didn’t want this dude sharing any of it. “I told Grandpa how unhappy Tobias was with me showing an appreciation for the Weeki Wachee girls.”

“They’re some mermaids all right.” Chaz tipped the beer bottle to his lips. “’Course, I heard they’re nothin’ like the real thing.”

AJ sizzled in a slow burn. The dude wasted no time in zeroing in.

Grandpa’s eyebrows twitched almost imperceptibly. “Is that so. And in what respect do they differ?”

As he spoke, Chaz’s head jerked, his shoulder twitched. “They ain’t real. Those tails come off at the end of the day and they go home to houses like you and me. Not to the sea.”

Pouring more beer into his glass, then AJ’s, Grandpa chuckled. “You speak as if you have first-hand knowledge of such things.”

AJ grinned as he sipped. Grandpa smelled the amateur in Chaz. This would be fun to watch: his grandfather dismantling Chaz, stripping off the layers of insincerity and false charm, to reveal his ignorance.

“No, but I know guys who do.” Chaz’s knee bounced.

Grandpa had pegged him as a con man, and Chaz knew it.

Grandpa widened his eyes in mock surprise. “Perhaps these ‘guys’ are pulling your leg. Have you ever considered such a possibility?”

Chaz smiled. “Maybe. Or maybe they’re tellin’ me old stories. Stories told by someone else first.” He sat back, a sparkle in his eye. He thought he’d turned the tables on the old man.

He didn’t know Grandpa.

“They may very well believe them. It proves nothing.” The verbal sparring brought the color back to Grandpa’s face. Nothing like cutting a man in two with sharp words. And Grandpa kept his arsenal well-stocked.

Chaz the comeback man sat silent, and looked to AJ for help.

AJ sipped his beer, not meeting his gaze. Tomorrow, he’d say he tried to be cool so he didn’t raise his grandfather’s suspicious. Truthfully, he wished Chaz never showed up. Especially at that particular moment.

Grandpa leaned back as Sandra carried two plates to the table, and set his crab cakes in front of him. As she handed AJ his plate, Chaz’s eyes followed the barbecued ribs. If eyes could drool, Chaz’s would have.

“You’re a darling, Sandra,” said Grandpa. “This young man joined us, but you’ll have to check with him about his dinner plans.”

Chaz jerked his head in a nod. “I could eat, yeah. A cheeseburger.”

“A cheeseburger. Delightful.” Grandpa appeared animated by Chaz’s predictability. “AJ and I are going to go ahead. We’d wait, but then our dinner would be ruined.” His scowl said it already had been.

Chaz twitched higher in the booth. “So, Mr. Anderson, you don’t believe in mermaids?” His cockiness aside, Chaz apparently thought politeness might soften the old man.

Grandpa sliced the crab cake with his fork. “I believe they do a good business over at Weeki Wachee Springs.” He chewed with determined slowness.

“Sure, but the real live mermaids. The ones sailors talk about.” A certain reverence had come over Chaz, as if mermaids were the key to his salvation.

Grandpa harrumphed. “Sailors are notorious for tall tales. Boredom overwhelmed them on their long trips, and they amused one another by talking too much.” His emphasis on the last three words did nothing to sway Chaz off course.

“It wasn’t only sailors tellin’ about mermaids. What about people in Scotland?”

Grandpa chuckled. “Yes, the mermaids swim with the Loch Ness Monster. And cavort with the wee folk.”

Chaz’s tone became more insistent. “There’s stories from as late as 1950, and way back in history. From all over the world. People like Christopher Columbus. Marco Polo.” His finger jabbed the tabletop as if these ancient world travelers had provided irrefutable proof of the existence of mer people.

“Legends, like rumors, persist because people retell them.” Grandpa continued eating.

Chaz’s cool became tattered with bursts of frustration. “You tellin’ me you never saw one?”

Grandpa’s gaze slid to AJ, who shrugged to deflect the intensity.

AJ held up his knife and fork in question. “What?”

His grandfather slapped the tabletop. “Don’t ask what. You know very well.”

AJ’s neck prickled with heat as several heads turned in their direction.

Chaz sat straighter, his voice low. “We need to know, man.”

AJ slid toward the window, trying to distance himself from Chaz, embarrassed at his use of ‘we’. As if they’d plotted to trap Grandpa.

“You saw one, didn’t you.” Chaz’s statement left no doubt he knew the truth. Or thought he knew.

Grandpa dabbed the napkin at his mouth. “You seem to know better than me.”

Chaz’s snake oil smile revealed his disingenuous nature. “Aw come on, man. We got a burnin’ curiosity. Tell us.”

AJ wished he’d stop using the royal ‘we’. It pissed off the old man more, by the looks of his scowl and swelling chest. AJ would bear the brunt of it later.

Grandpa adjusted himself in his seat and folded his hands on the table. “All right. Since you have such a ‘burnin’ curiosity.’ I’ll tell you. Yes, I saw a mermaid.”

Chaz looked like a four-year-old at Christmas, face as bright as a treetop star. “Whoa.”

AJ jumped to attention. “When? Did you talk to her? Why didn’t you tell me before?”

Grandpa’s glare reminded AJ he had, but never in any detail. “Oh, I said plenty, but people here pegged me as a drunken fool.”

“When did you see her?” AJ shot back.

With a slow, sure nod meant to imply he knew exactly what Grandpa went through, Chaz said, “You could never forget her.”

Grandpa’s face softened. “No.”

How did Chaz, the buffoon, tap into his grandfather’s experience?

Grandpa stared out the window, an attempt to look casual. But AJ knew he was shaken.

Chaz pursed his lips. “It’s what they’re known for.”

AJ thought sure Chaz’s knowing tone would piss his grandfather off even more, but Grandpa tipped the pitcher into his glass and downed a third of it.

Chaz leaned toward him, intent as a Svengali. “Tell me about the mermaid.”

The switch from plural to singular unnerved AJ. Chaz had something up his sleeve. Something he didn’t want to share with AJ.

Grandpa’s voice sounded as far away as the look in his eyes. “I’ve never seen anyone so beautiful in all my life. She sat on a rock.” He chuckled to himself. “Trying to untangle a knot in her hair. I found myself drawn to her uncontrollably. I took the comb from my pocket and held it out. She started to push away into the waves. Then she saw the comb. I knew she wanted it. I told her I’d sit and watch, wouldn’t try to harm her.”

Mesmerized, AJ and Chaz listened, their mouths agape.

“Then what?” Chaz whispered.

Grandpa spoke as one hypnotized. “She took it. Her hand touched mine–warm and smooth, not cold like I expected. She asked me to sing to her while she combed her hair. They love a good singing voice.”

“What happened then?” Chaz couldn’t get enough.

The faraway look left Grandpa’s face. He shrugged. “I sang. She combed. I watched.”

AJ brightened. “I’m a good singer. I used to be in a band.”

“A punk band,” Grandpa dismissed him.

“Indie,” AJ corrected. “Hey, chicks loved my voice. Not as classy as yours, but—”

Chaz chided, “Yeah, that’s why you’re so successful. Let your grandfather talk.” He turned to Grandpa. “What else do they like?”

To AJ’s surprise, his grandfather continued. “Singing can actually lure them. It helps if the singer is handsome.”

Caught in the spell, Chaz murmured, “Man, I’d love to catch one.”

Grandpa chuckled. “It’s the mermaid who catches the man.” Back to his old self, he leaned across the table, his voice low. “If he’s taken, they man is rarely seen again.”

Chaz narrowed his eyes. “Why?”

“You must remember. These creatures are stronger than any human. If one takes a liking to you, she’ll take you home.” The teacher in Grandpa had surfaced.

“Under the ocean?” AJ couldn’t imagine it. Was the old man teasing?

“There must be some way to control them.” Chaz plied.

“Only iron can repel a mermaid. As with any supernatural being.” He said it as if it were common knowledge.

“Iron. Like a knife?” Chaz no longer sounded like a buffoon. “But they’re not really dangerous, right?”

Grandpa laughed, the gleam in his eye as sharp as the knife he spoke of. “Many men have died at the hands of mermaids. Sometimes entire shiploads.”

“What can we do to protect ourselves?” Chaz slipped his intentions. He planned a mermaid hunt, AJ realized.

“You must never ask a mermaid to grant any wishes.” Grandpa must be in a generous mood. Or his love of mermaids had found too willing an audience.

“They can grant wishes?” AJ asked.

“Oh, yes. But you will pay dearly. Maybe with your life.” The old man spoke as if he told an old ghost story.

“What else can they do?” Chaz spoke as if in a fever.

The mer authoritarian, the old man’s tone was curt. “Whatever they want. For as long as they want. They don’t age, you see. Unless they choose to become mortal.”

“Why would it want to?” Chaz apparently didn’t share his grandfather’s view of mermaids as half human.

Grandpa gazed out over the Gulf waters, sparkling in the last rays of the sun. “The most powerful and dangerous influence in the universe. Love.”

Chaz began to laugh, then saw the old man’s seriousness. “So did you ever see the mermaid again?”

Unblinking, statue like, the old man sat in a dreamlike state.

“Grandpa?” AJ reached for his arm but didn’t touch him, afraid of startling him.

“Hmm?” His grandfather turned to face them, his face serene.

“Did you see her again?” Chaz prompted.

Grandpa sighed. “Oh, yes.”

Chaz looked crazed with curiosity. “What’d she look like?”

Grandpa shook his head. “The most gorgeous girl. Shapely as they come. Eyes as blue as the sea. And her tail… I can’t even describe its luminescence, how it caught the sunlight like an iridescent rainbow, the colors changing with every movement. An enchanting creature.”

Chaz’s hunger to hear more grew. “So you sang to her. Then what?”

“I went to the spot for two weeks, trying to catch a glimpse. I sang my heart out to the sea.” He chuckled. “People thought I’d gone bonkers.”

Perched on the edge of his seat like a hawk, Chaz nodded. “It brought her back.”

Grandpa met his gaze. “It brought her back.”

AJ’s curiosity piqued. All those carvings, for all these years. He’d always thought it a hobby, nothing more. His grandfather’s face, flushed and alive with the memory, said it was more. Much more.

Grandpa’s face softened. “I saw a movement in the waves. I couldn’t quite tell if a dolphin swam there, or merely a play of light and shadow on the sea. I kept singing, and walked to the edge of the rocks. She sat there, her chin resting on her hands, listening. I crouched–slowly, so I wouldn’t frighten her. I skipped the last few refrains.” He looked at AJ. “She asked why.” He laughed, as if amazed all over again.

“She knew the song?” AJ knew it must mean something. “What song did you sing?”

“Love Me Tender.” Grandpa threw up his hands. “How could she have known the song? It had only been on the radio a few months.”

“She was an Elvis fan?” AJ laughed. Grandpa said his grandmother had been an Elvis fan, responsible for the velvet paintings and knick knacks.

Chaz’s impatience surfaced. “And then what? Keep going.”

Grandpa’s voice strengthened. “We talked awhile. She left.”

“Did you see her again?” Chaz prodded.

His grandfather slapped his hands on the table and stood. “No. Excuse me. I need to use the facilities. AJ, get the check, will you?”

“Sure thing.” About time Grandpa clammed up. In front of Chaz, anyway.

After he’d shuffled across the room, Chaz bit his straw. “What’s his problem?”

“Probably getting tired.” Tired of Chaz. Chaz pushed too hard. Grandpa didn’t like to be pushed.

Chaz followed the old man with his eyes. “Yeah, well. There’s more to the story. And I want to know what.” He drained his beer bottle.

The fact his grandfather had told the story at all seemed a miracle. “Nah. If he knew anything else, he’d have told us.” But he didn’t want Chaz to hear the rest, any more than Grandpa did.

AJ caught Sandra’s eye, and mimed writing on his hand. The waitress nodded.

Chaz held up his empty bottle. “Can I get another one of these?” To AJ, he said, “You’re not takin’ off, are you?”

“I want to make sure Grandpa gets home all right. I have some things I need to do anyway.” Like get away from this dude.

Chaz winced. “Ah, man.”

Grandpa returned the same time Sandra brought the check.

AJ pushed out of the booth and handed her cash, then followed him outside.  “Throw me the keys.”

Grandpa reached in his pocket and tossed them to AJ. On the way out, neither said a word. The tinny-sounding tunes on the oldies station grated against AJ, but he knew better than to ask to change it.

He turned on to Shoal Line Boulevard, steered into the narrow gravel driveway and cut the engine. “So did you? See her again?”

Grandpa held out his hand for the keys. AJ dropped them into his palm. “I get it. You were just goofing on Chaz, right?”

“I’m tired. I’m going to bed.” The old man pushed open the door with a grunt, shuffled down the dark walkway, and went inside.

The evening contained many surprises, not the least of which was his grandfather’s fervent admission about the mermaid. To Chaz, of all people. Almost like he’d wanted to tell AJ about it for years, but didn’t know how. Or had been afraid he’d laugh.

Chaz didn’t laugh. He provided the perfect foil for Grandpa, to speak to AJ through Chaz.

The cool sea air roused him from the car. He walked the unkempt path to the back of the house, ducking through the palms and overgrown ferns.

He stood at the edge of the yard, where the silver-tipped, flowing onyx waves were visible in the space between two houses across the street. Could it be possible for a Weeki Wachee mermaid to have put one over on the old man?

A dim yellow light shone from the back patio as the door creaked open. His grandfather switched on the radio–ugh, the same oldies station–and sat on the glider. He lit a candle, picked up the carving he’d begun earlier and worked his knife against it. Never satisfied with the likenesses, he’d finish one, then start another. He must have a hundred of them throughout the house in various states of completion.

I see the harbor lights, Elvis sang, his velvet voice crooning from the radio. Grandpa snapped his head up and looked out toward the sea. Candlelight flickered across the crags and lines of his face. His deep baritone mixed with Presley’s as he sang along, someday the harbor lights… until the last, when his voice cracked as he sang, will bring you back to me. He swiped at his cheek.

AJ backed further into the shadows, then to the front of the house. He slipped in the front door and down the hall. When he walked to the kitchen a few minutes later, Grandpa came in.

The interior light of the fridge cut across the kitchen as AJ opened the door.

His grandfather’s eyes flashed in the dim light. “Don’t eat me out of house and home.”

He held up the milk carton like a white flag of surrender. “Just need a drink. I’m still full from dinner.” He tensed; dinner was a sore subject.

Grandpa grunted and went to the sofa. The television blared to life, lighting the edge of his grandfather’s figure like a flickering aura.

AJ paused at the end of the hallway. “Can I get you anything?”

Grandpa kept his eyes on the news. “I’ve managed all these years without you.”

Without anyone. No wonder the old man seemed a little off balance. He’d never remarried, though Grandma had been gone for nearly thirty years. Even for his mom, memories of her were mere flashes of images, too insubstantial to piece together. Long dark hair framing a porcelain face. A beautiful smile. AJ only knew her from photographs.

“Good night, then.”

Grandpa mumbled something resembling an abbreviated night.

In his room, AJ turned on the light. Some of the boxes were missing, but old stuff, there for years, still overcrowded the room.

He lit a candle and switched the light out. The old man used electricity sparingly, so AJ would too.

He unlatched his guitar case and pulled the instrument to him. Its familiar weight against his chest, the texture of the strings against his fingertips comforted him. Their vibration resonated within him. With a guitar in his hands, AJ never felt out of place, time held a vibrant clarity yet floated away on his melodies. He’d let his music slip away from him this past year. Like it had betrayed him, rather than the other way around. He’d neglected the guitar after the band’s dismal failure, but always felt its presence inside the case, beckoning him to run his fingers along the strings. Not playing had made him miserable.

With each pluck of a string, he made amends and an unspoken promise.

Chapter Five

On Monday, AJ couldn’t seem to duck Chaz. On his morning break, the guy showed up at the drink cart down from the Wilderness Cruise as if he’d happened by. At lunch, he came into the Mermaid Galley Restaurant moments after him. AJ lingered on the boat at closing time, taking extra time to secure it. He ran into Harry and chatted with him for a few minutes before strolling to the lockers, but again, Chaz followed him to the employee area, complaining what a tough day it had been.

Like a sticky shadow, Chaz buddied up to AJ as if he were his long-lost friend all week. He talked on and on about how he knew he’d find a real live mermaid, just like AJ’s grandfather. The more AJ attempted to convince him it was a gag, the more determined Chaz became.

By Friday, when Chaz waited by the lockers after AJ’s shift ended, his determination had grown into desperation. He stood close by as AJ changed his shirt. “All I’m askin’ is one more meetin’ with your grandfather. He’s a smart man. He could give us more clues about what to do, what not to do. Like the bit about wishes–I never heard that before.”

AJ slammed his locker shut. “Forget it. He didn’t even talk to me all weekend.” It was a lie, but necessary to keep Chaz away from Grandpa.

“Come on, man. I know we can make this work, but we need a little more help.” Chaz followed him into the hallway.

The dude was certifiable, but it seemed the only way to get him to back off was to go along with him. “What would you do with a mermaid once you caught her? Make her fall in love with you?” Awful images came to AJ’s mind: Chaz’s slimy smile aimed at a beautiful mermaid, slipping down the length of her tail, followed by his hand.

Chaz took hold of AJ’s shoulder. “Quiet, man. Someone will hear you.” He pulled him out to the parking lot. “I got a plan bigger than that. Way bigger. Do you know what people would pay to see a real freakin’ mermaid?”

AJ squinted in the glare of the sunset. “So you’d set her up as a freak show?” He checked his watch; he wanted to spend his free time with his guitar, not this nut job.

Chaz spoke in a low and even tone, surprisingly businesslike. “No, not exactly. We’d have to train her to do routines for shows, like they do here. But these Weeki Wachee mermaids can only stay underwater two and a half minutes, tops. Imagine what an actual mermaid can do. Swim with dolphins… man, whatever we want.”

“Like a Sea World show?” AJ couldn’t hold back a smile. Chaz seemed to think he had his first million already made.

“They’d pay a lot of money for a real mermaid.” Chaz flashed his showman’s smile. “Our show will be better than Sea World. I ain’t sellin’ it until she’s good and famous. Get a helluva price for it then.”

AJ nodded. “Sounds like you have it all planned out. See you.” He walked across the parking lot.

“Where you goin’? We got lots to figure out yet.” Chaz looked smaller somehow.

AJ almost felt sorry for the guy. He had his heart set on fulfilling this fantasy. And for whatever reason, including AJ as a partner.

“We’ll talk tomorrow.” He forced a smile and waved, turned his back and blew through his lips. This guy’s obsessions were getting worrisome. Soon he’d have no other way to duck him.

He walked the three miles to his grandfather’s house, letting the sea pull him in the right direction.

When he opened the front door, Grandpa lay sprawled on the sofa, snoring, newspaper on his chest, television blaring.

A pot bubbled and spit red sauce across the stove top. AJ lifted the lid. More meatballs. He turned down the heat as low as it would go and went to his room. His guitar leaned against the bed, within easy reach whenever the urge struck him. And lately, it struck more and more often.

Strumming, he tried to pick up where he’d left off last night on a new song. The melody teased just out of reach of his consciousness. If he could finish it, it would be one of his best yet. But the harder he tried, the more it eluded him. Forcing it seemed to push it further out of reach.

The room stifled him. Intense concentration made everything seem too small. Open air, that’s what he needed. And the sea’s foamy spray on his face.

He shouldered the guitar strap and went to the kitchen, where he wrote a note to say he went for a walk and would be back later. By the sound of Grandpa’s snores, he’d likely not read it until after AJ returned anyway.

He cut through the side yard and across three streets to the Gulf coast. Although he’d grown to like his job as captain of the Wilderness Cruise, nothing rivaled the open sea. It rejuvenated his senses. His shoes sunk in the sand and rock as he passed a man and son tossing a football, three teenage girls in bikinis folding their blanket. The girls laughed and whispered as he approached. One rocked her hips and said, “Hi.”

AJ grinned. If only they weren’t jail bait, he’d bite. He trudged on toward the islet reaching out into the water to his favorite spot–a large, flat rock the perfect height for playing. His fingertips had grown sore as the calluses he’d lost this past year had developed again these past weeks. The pain was payback for giving up on his music.

The tune came back easily, but he became stuck at the same point every time. He played it over and over, hoping something would come to him, some natural progression of notes that eluded him last night. True, he hadn’t written a song in a year, but he’d been good at it, really good. Songwriting was a talent, and couldn’t have left him forever.

His fingers flew across the strings, each time coming to a crashing halt after the same chord change. He flung himself to his feet with an anguished groan, gripping his guitar as if trying to strangle it as he walked inland.

The breeze carried a tinkle of laughter, almost like music. He whirled toward the sea. Waves washed over the rocks, a gull cried. That must have been it. Pulling his guitar strap across his shoulder, he stepped across the rocks.

“Goodbye,” said a girl’s voice.

AJ’s foot caught on a rock as he turned. The laughter again. As he stood watching, water splashed high at the edge. Not like the sea crashing into the waves. Like something had sent the splash toward him.

His guitar swung on his back as he ran to the spot. Beneath the waves, something greenish-grey slid from sight, deeper into the water. The back of his neck prickled at the possibility of... No, he’d been listening to Chaz too long. Letting the dude get to him with all his mermaid talk. But what else could it be? A dolphin? They didn’t come this close to shore, did they?

He stood where the rocks met the sea until stars pricked holes in the azure sky. Only the thought of his grandfather made him turn away from the sea toward land, where he felt more lost than ever.

Chapter Six

AJ pulled the boat to the pier, thankful for lunch break. “All right, folks, watch your step. Enjoy your day.” The automaton quality of his voice made him sound like Harry. The thought alarmed him as he cut the engine. Already, he’d grown too comfortable in this job. It wasn’t the be-all and end-all of his existence. He couldn’t let it be.

Why he felt so frazzled, he couldn’t pinpoint. Maybe the heat wore him down. Maybe the frustration of not being able to finish the song. Maybe what happened last night at the beach left him rattled, without logic. Really, he hadn’t seen anything. What he heard could have been anyone, someone further down the beach, their laughter carried on the wind. Lying awake for hours last night hadn’t helped. His bed called for him now.

When Chaz approached with AJ dead in his sights, AJ’s alarm turned to agitation.

Chaz fell into step with him as he walked up the ramp. “AJ, my man. I’m goin’ to the Mermaid Galley. Come with me, I’ll buy you lunch.” Something pathetic about his expression, his politeness, made AJ soften toward him.

He ran a hand through his hair, wondering if his nerves could take a half hour of listening to Chaz. His stomach grumbled. He needed to eat. “Yeah, sure.”

His light punch to AJ’s shoulder seemed tentative, as if Chaz knew he’d been pushing too hard. “Great. We have a lot to talk about.”

Great, yeah.

Chaz ducked his head as he spoke in a low voice, as if spies were onto him. “I figured it out. The key is for you to sing.”

“What?” He cut himself off before saying, What the hell are you talking about. What did Chaz ever talk about–mermaids.

Chaz looked left and right. “To lure them. Like your grandfather said. They love a good singing voice. And I noticed a lot of girls look at you, so they must think you’re hot.”

Hearing Chaz say AJ was hot made him immediately uncomfortable. He took a step to the side as they walked to put distance between them. He wouldn’t argue about girls looking at him, though. Everywhere he went, their attention snapped in his direction. From pubescent pony-tailed girls to blue-haired ladies, their smiles held more than friendliness. A creepy chill crawled across AJ, as if Chaz had been profiling AJ. Stalking him.

Not missing a beat, Chaz moved closer, his voice low. “So what do you think?”

AJ tried not to. But if that was the extent of Chaz’s plan, he had a long way to go. Hoping to point out the frailty of the scheme, AJ asked, “Where am I supposed to do this? On the beach? You expect one to climb out of the water long enough for you to catch her?” Surely he’d see how ridiculous it all was.

Excitement filled Chaz’s wide eyes. “No, that’s the beauty of it. There’s that footbridge over by the Wilderness Cruise. You’d be up there singing, and I’d be waiting down below. The water’s kinda shallow there. It’d be a snap.”

A snap. “Your neck, most likely.”

Chaz opened the restaurant door. “Huh?”

When AJ opened his mouth to speak, Chaz’s eyes shifted from side to side, and he held up his hand. “Wait till we sit,” he murmured.

They ordered at the counter and took their food to a table near the kitchen entrance, where less people sat.

Chaz lowered his head, and spoke behind cover of a French fry. “The sooner we start, the better.”

AJ bit into his cheeseburger, too tired to argue. The best tack might be to let Chaz talk. It’s what he did best. “Why’s that.”

As if AJ were the slow one, Chaz winced. “Because it might take awhile. It’s not going to come the first night we’re out there. We have to lure it, let it think it’s safe before we nab it.”

So many holes in his logic made AJ wonder whether it represented holes in Chaz’s brain. “How is a mermaid supposed to hear me singing on the bridge? It’s nowhere near the sea.”

Chaz lowered his head, and the edge of his hand sliced the tabletop in progression with his plan. “See, that’s what most people think. But they’ve been seen in rivers and canals. They come inland.”

AJ tried to keep the sarcasm from his voice. “Right. I forgot. You researched it all.”

With a wounded look, Chaz’s eyes twitched as if adjusting their focus. He glanced backward. “I did, yeah. The Internet is full of stories about mermaids.”

Stories being the operative word, AJ wanted to say. Stating the obvious seemed useless with this dude. “OK. Say I agree to this. How long before we give up?”

“What?” Chaz’s face was a blank. He held a fry midway to his mouth, but question must have thrown him so off track, he forgot to eat it.

“I don’t mind playing out there, I do it every night any way. But I’m not going to go there every night for nothing.” He leaned back and waited for Chaz’s reaction.

Chaz jerked his shoulder. “Leave your guitar case open. Maybe someone will put money in it.”

“If there are people around, how will we catch the mermaid?” AJ sipped from his milk carton.

“Keep your voice down.” Chaz glanced to his right, gave a wan smile to a passing old man. “I was jokin’. No one’s around at night.” He shook his head as if AJ were dense.

AJ finished off his burger. Chaz would never stop hounding him if he didn’t agree. “Say one actually does come. How would you catch her?”

The gleam in Chaz’s eye took AJ aback. “Metal. Like your grandfather said.”

“What kind of metal?” If Chaz meant harm to any creature–mermaid or not–AJ would have no part of it.

As he leaned his elbows on the table, Chaz rounded his shoulders in a huddle with AJ. “I’ve been workin’ on a special net, adding metal rings to it.”

That didn’t sound bad. He gulped the last of his milk.

“And if the net doesn’t convince it to cooperate, I’ll have a knife and a gun, too.”

The milk caught in his throat, made him choke. “What?” AJ leaned back in his chair, hands braced against the tabletop.

Chaz smiled in a calculating way. “I won’t use ‘em. Not unless I have to.”

AJ shook his head and looked away.

The placating tone in Chaz’s voice was less than convincing. “Look, I’ll just threaten the thing so it’ll come along peacefully. I don’t want to hurt it.”

AJ clucked his tongue. “Stop saying ‘it’.”

“Huh?” Chaz’s eyebrows twitched together.

“Mermaids are female. Like any other female, you should call her ‘she’.” AJ watched two Weeki Wachee mermaids sit at a table across the room.

Chaz threw his napkin onto his plate. “Sure, whatever. She. Her. It. So long as we catch one, I’ll call it princess, if you want.”

The conversation had grown old. AJ smiled at Susie, who giggled.

“Now there’s a mermaid I’d like to catch.” AJ let his slow smile sizzle and burn.

Her long blond hair captivated him when she swam her routine. He never lingered–long–in the Underwater Theater, but found plenty of excuses to pass through as often as he could. Susie’s golden hair flowed behind her in the water, and he had dreamed of it fanning her head as she lay against his pillow beneath him.

Chaz peered over his shoulder. “Too bad Tobias’ rules say no dating the mermaids.” His scolding tone rekindled AJ’s agitation.

“I have to get back.” He gathered his trash as he stood.

Chaz followed like a greasy shadow. “What time do you want me to pick you up tonight?”

“Tonight? What do you mean?” AJ smiled broadly at Susie as he walked out, Chaz on his heels.

“We gotta start right away. I told you it might take time.”

AJ stopped, filled his lungs with air. Might as well get it over with. “OK. How about eight thirty?”

Chaz cocked his jaw. “Make it nine thirty. So no one will be around.”

“Fine. Nine thirty. But I’m not singing out there all night.” AJ strode away, swearing to himself if Chaz followed, he would refuse to go tonight. When he looked back, the blue uniformed figure scuttled away through the throng.

Chapter Seven

The rumbling in his grandfather’s driveway made AJ sigh. Nine thirty already.

The long honk made him curse his own stupidity for agreeing to this crazy plan, and Chaz’s stupidity for blasting the horn so late. All the neighbors were Grandpa’s age or older, and bound to complain.

Guitar case in hand, he strode toward the front door. “I’m going out for awhile.”

The light of the TV flickered across Grandpa’s face as he peered over his glasses. “All right.” He raised an eyebrow at the sight of the case, but let it pass. The tone of the old man’s voice held a warning against staying out too late.

In the truck, AJ cradled the case between his knees. “Are you sure we won’t get in trouble for this?”

Metal groaned as Chaz backed out. “Trouble? For what? Public singing?” He chuckled and ground the gear into first.

“Grandpa will kill me if I get fired.” AJ said it more to himself than anyone.

Chaz blew raspberries. “You worry too much.” The truck sputtered ahead down the dark street.  He pulled down an embankment near the bridge and parked behind a tree. From the back bed, he pulled the metal-lined net. Beneath it laid the rifle, its dark metal as sinister as Chaz.

The sight of it sent a chill through AJ. “What if you actually catch one? You’re just going to throw her in the back of the truck?”

In a matter of fact tone, Chaz said, “Yeah. Then to my house. I have a pool.”

The dude’s plan had more holes than the net. AJ didn’t resist the urge to point out the many flaws. “What about the chlorine?”

“What about it?” Chaz pulled the rifle from the truck bed.

He couldn’t believe he bothered arguing about a hypothetical mermaid. “Never mind. Just be careful with that thing.”

“I’m a deadeye shot.” His inflection reminded AJ of a mafia mobster. Not to mention the gleam in his eye as he patted the gun.

“Great. Just make sure to point it away from me.” AJ climbed the short, steep hill to the bridge and opened his case. “Anywhere in particular?”

Chaz skulked behind the tree. In a hoarse whisper, he said, “Don’t talk to me, you’ll give me away. Just play.”

He ran his fingers across the strings. “Right. I’ll give you away. I wasn’t thinking.”

“Shhh!”

AJ tuned several strings. He hadn’t planned what to sing. He ran through his band’s old play list, and settled on a Foo Fighter’s Everlong. He’d always liked the acoustic version. The vocal range fit his comfortably.

He strummed the insistent beat and closed his eyes. When he began singing, he didn’t feel stupid, as he thought he would. Music always carried him to another place, and it was no different now.

Closing his eyes, he imagined a roomful of girls swaying as he played, his song’s rhythm flowing from himself and getting inside them. The follow-up was always even better, when one or more would let his body’s rhythm get inside them, too. He smiled as he ended the song, the chords thrumming in the darkness.

“Oh, that felt good.” Really good. He hadn’t lost his touch. He splayed his fingers in a stretch.

Silence from down below. Right. AJ wasn’t supposed to talk to him.

“OK. Let’s see.” Other than the chirping crickets and other night sounds, AJ felt like he was back on stage again. He’d wondered whether he should attempt a solo career, whether he could cut it alone on stage.

Without thought, his fingers launched into the next song on the old play list. Confidence returned with each song he played. Three songs became four, four slipped easily into five, five transitioned to six. At the end of the seventh, he stopped to drink from his bottle of water.

“All right. Well. Any requests?” He plucked the strings and tuned each one.

Still nothing from below. Maybe Chaz had fallen asleep.

“No, I didn’t think so.” He’d play a few more, then call it quits. His fingers skipped across the strings as he mentally ran through the old set lists. The tune he’d started last week remained unfinished. He strummed the opening bars and sang. It sounded better here than at the shore, where the wind and waves mixed with it. Here, the sound was clear, maybe something about the placid water. He looked out over the canal as his voice carried through the night.

Something caught his eye.  A movement, a ripple beneath the surface. He stumbled on the lyrics, then picked the rhythm up again. At the point where his voice took off in the song once more, the still canal broke in a splash.

“What the...” A reflection across the surface revealed rings radiating outward, but nothing more. “Hello?”

From beneath the bridge, the oval outline of a turtle drifted by.

He let out a breath. How stupid. He was letting Chaz get to him. He checked the time on his cell phone. Ten twenty-five.

“That’s it. Show’s over.” Placing the guitar in its case, he snapped the locks shut and carried it down the embankment to the truck.

Chaz was nowhere in sight.

AJ whistled. Leaves rustled beyond the tree.

A man’s figure came clear in the darkness, then Chaz stood outside the driver’s window.  His whisper strained from his throat in excitement. “Did you see that?”

“It was a turtle.” This guy needed some Prozac or something.

Chaz’s eyes had a crazed look as he held a finger to his lips. “No. Something else was in there, too.”

AJ opened the door and climbed in. “Probably a manatee or something.”

“Listen,” Chaz whispered as he scanned the canal.

“Come on, man. Enough for one night.” He wanted to go. Enough of this.

When Chaz jerked his head toward him, the sharp look in his face rattled AJ. “When I say listen, listen. How are we ever gonna do this if you don’t pay attention? Now get ready. If I call you, come quick.” Chaz crouched, then stole to the end of the truck, net in hand.

“This dude is a loony tune.” He slumped against the seat and let his eyes drift shut.

When the truck door opened and Chaz got in, he snapped awake.

AJ rubbed his eye. “What time is it?”

His hand on the ignition, Chaz looked out the side mirror. “I don’t know. After eleven.”

“You were out there for more than thirty minutes?” He yawned.

Chaz glared at him. “Yeah. Way to back me up.”

“Hey, you weren’t the one up there singing for an hour plus. Can we get out of here, please? It’s been a long day.”

The atmosphere in the truck cab grew tense as Chaz’s cold gaze went over him.

AJ wasn’t about to engage in a stare-down. He stretched his legs and spine so he sat taller in the seat. Taller than Chaz.

With a shake of his head, Chaz started the engine. The truck rocked up the incline to the street. They rode to the house in silence, not even the radio on.

Chapter Eight

A light rain fell toward the end of afternoon. Ignoring it, park patrons filled the Wilderness Cruise hut. The tarp roof covering the boat kept AJ dry, even when it turned to a downpour, which never lasted very long in Florida.

Even in the rain, the Wilderness Cruise was a popular attraction at Weeki Wachee. After the mermaid show, guests would inevitably stroll down the paved walkways, past the strutting peacocks. If they didn’t go to Pirates’ Grub or Mermaid Galley Restaurant to eat, or to the gift shop, those who walked down Tranquility Trail ended up on AJ’s boat. He would finish one cruise only to find another twenty people waiting. He loved being on the water. Captaining a boat made for an easy day, pointing out the herons and egrets, turtles and occasional manatees.

He waited for the downpour to slow to a drizzle, then jumped the chain and jogged to the hut. “What do you think? Ready for the cruise?”

A little boy punctuated the murmurs of agreeing adults by yelling, “Yeah!”

AJ laughed. “Well, let’s go.” As he bent to unlatch the chain, raindrops chilled his back, reviving him. “Watch your step. The dock can get a bit slick.”

He climbed aboard and sat in the pilot’s chair. The boy stood behind him. “What’s your name, young man?”

“Jimmy.” The boy stood tall, eye to eye with AJ.

“Jimmy. A good name for a co-captain.” He smiled at the mother, whose shoulder-length red hair made her look even prettier when wet.

“Co-captain?” Jimmy’s open-mouthed smile made him look like a monkey.

“Yes, I need a co-captain to help me navigate. Stand right there and keep your eyes open. Report anything you see to me.” He’d make this last cruise an easy one, and let the kid talk for him.

“Aye aye, sir.” Jimmy scouted the banks.

AJ chuckled as he steered the propeller. “Aye aye.”

The boy shouted out every bird and reptile he saw, and AJ added the proper name: heron, egret, alligator-nosed turtle.

 AJ leaned toward the boy. “Watch closely now. Indians have been spotted in these parts.”

Jimmy’s eyes grew round. “Indians.”

The two teepees came in view. AJ launched into his normal routine about the Seminoles’ history, with the boy hanging on his every word. The kid was AJ’s favorite kind of passenger. Not sitting listlessly while AJ droned on about Weeki Wachee’s origins and not talking to the next person about how wonderful the mermaid show was.

A pelican landed on the tarp roof. The boy leaned out of the boat, his feet off the floor.

AJ grabbed his shirt. “Whoa, there, co-captain Jimmy. You don’t want to go overboard.”

The boy’s high-pitched squeals frightened the bird, and everyone, including AJ, watched its lumbering flight into the clearing skies. Clouds gave way to sun, and sizzling heat returned with its rays.

Jimmy pointed ahead as the boat rounded a bend. “What’s she doing?”

Murmurs rippled through the boat as all necks craned to see. A mermaid sat perched on a low-hanging tree limb dipping into the water, her tail swishing. She smiled as they approached.

She didn’t look familiar. This mermaid was much prettier. Her makeup wasn’t overdone like the others in the underwater show. Glossed by the sun, her long dark hair hung loose to her waist, and covered her front and back.

“I don’t know,” AJ muttered. No one told him there’d been a change in the program. To cover his confusion, he added, “Maybe she’s lost.”

He’d have to ask Harry when they docked. Why would they make a girl sit out here in this heat all alone? Especially one so beautiful? Something about her made it hard for AJ to look away. Just sitting there, she looked amazing. As the boat drew nearer, everything about her looked perfect, from her gorgeous face framed by long silky hair to her tail–he’d never seen one like it. Its colors seemed to change as she swayed it, and its sheen shifted from every hue of blue to green.

“Let’s give her a ride.” Jimmy went to the front and waved. The mermaid smiled and waved back.

“No leaning over the side, all right?” AJ reminded the boy.

The mother slid from her seat. “I’ll make sure.” She crouched next to the boy.

A sixtyish woman in the second row gasped. “She’s not wearing a top.”

Everyone, AJ included, turned to the mermaid. No way would Tobias allow that. Her costume must be specially made with nude-colored fabric to give that illusion. The old biddy. There was always at least one a day, trying to incite gossip by pointing out some scandal or injustice.

Jimmy pointed at the bank opposite the mermaid. “An alligator, too.”

“What?” Horror gripped AJ as he strained to see. The girl wouldn’t have a chance against an alligator in that heavy-tailed getup.

As if on cue, the reptile sunk in the water and swished forward.

“It’s headed for the mermaid,” a man behind him said with surprise.

“Oh, God.” This couldn’t be part of the show. AJ idled the engine. He’d never be able to get this lunker of a boat to the girl in time. She sat a good fifteen yards away.

He turned to a guy in his forties who sat to his right. “Take the wheel. Keep it steady.”

He dove into the clear green water toward the girl, wondering how in the hell he would get her to safety with that huge tail weighing them both down. Maybe he could use it as a buffer, to keep the gator at bay.

When he surfaced to catch his breath, two submerged figures aimed at him.

The alligator would win.

At least he might keep it busy until the girl could reach the safety of the others.

“Hurry, get to the boat,” he yelled at her, though her head was underwater, her tail rising to skim the surface, then below to propel her forward. She was a powerful swimmer, and moved really fast. The others swam with a slow grace, but this girl propelled herself through the water like a pro.

The large scaly reptile headed straight for him interrupted his thought. He leaned back in the water, ready to kick the alligator’s head to deflect it, if only for a moment. Maybe he could stun it long enough for the girl to reach the boat and the others to haul her aboard. If he could work in another well-placed kick, he would follow her.

“Look out,” a woman screamed as the gator closed in.

Something slammed into his stomach and whooshed him beneath the water. A second slam, more like a thud, and he thought it was all over. For both of them. The thing gripped him without hurting him somehow, but moved so fast, AJ thought his bones might break from the pressure of the speed. It felt like hurtling through the canal on an underwater express train, rolling as they went.

As his lungs felt near to bursting, they slowed and surfaced. Whatever held him released him by propelling him face-down onto a grassy bank.

Gasping for air, he scrambled up the side to escape it, but his arms and legs flailed, more spectacle than anything.

“What were you doing?” a girl’s rich, full voice asked.

He glanced over his shoulder, still grasping at the bank for leverage. He fell to the grass, stunned.

Instead of the ugly head of an alligator leering at him in a crocodile smile, the girl, even more gorgeous up close, leaned her hands on the bank and lifted herself up. Her wet hair clung to her chest and waist.

Too many questions flew through his head at once. “What?” he managed.

“You could have been killed. Why did you do that?” Her green eyes sparkled like emeralds flecked with onyx. Her long dark hair framed her porcelain face and rosebud lips.

His chest heaved. “You’re kidding, right? I saved you.”

She burst into laughter. Like bells tinkling, like music.

Fascination turned to irritation. He risked his life for her. “What? That alligator would’ve killed you.”

This made her laugh all the harder, her laughter like a melody he couldn’t quite place, though familiar.

The alligator drifted toward them on its side, like a log. Unmoving. Unconscious.

She smirked. “It won’t hurt you now.”

AJ glanced downriver to where the boat should have been. “What happened? Where’s the boat?”  He held a hand to his head. He wished she’d stop laughing. The sound got inside his brain, jumbled his already knotted thoughts. And every time she looked at him, her eyes hypnotized him–their whites so clear and bright, the green shone like gemstones. Like no other eyes he’d ever seen.

Glancing upstream, she smiled. “Right where you left it.”

“No. I left it right there.” He still couldn’t catch his breath. Or his mind.

She twisted up and sat on the bank. “No, you left it around the bend. Remember?” As she turned her head, her hair shifted, revealing the curve of a breast.

AJ blinked, thinking his eyesight might have been affected by the impact. But he could see as clear as ever. The old biddy was right. “You’re not wearing clamshells.”

Her glittering eyes snapped to his. “What?”

His mind raced. If this girl was what he thought she was, he wanted to get closer. He slumped on the bank, letting his feet slide closer to her. “What are you doing out here? You’re not with the show.”

She tossed her head, and her hair swirled across her like a glossy curtain, tantalizing him. She edged toward the water. “No.”

The end of her tail rose, then swished beneath the canal. For a moment, he’d caught sight of it, the colors exactly as Grandpa had described–iridescent, ever-changing, like rich silk. He shifted closer for a better view. The transformation from skin to tail was seamless. Undetectable.

It was no costume.

“You shouldn’t be out here. You could get hurt.” Like a kaleidoscope, the colors of her tail mesmerized him. Drew him toward her.

“It seems to be more dangerous for you.” Her face alighted with a slow smile.

“But someone will see you. That’s the real danger.” The urge to touch her skin, her hair, her tail, her face. Look into those emerald eyes, like a kaleidoscope in themselves. The sensation overwhelmed him.

“Someone already has.” Her eyes flashed as she peered into his. As many girls as he’d been with, never had any been more self-confident. Or more powerfully alluring. The way she held herself, the look in her eyes–he knew those signals. Even as she slid her tail into the water, he knew she wanted him to follow.

His grandfather’s voice echoed through his head, making him afraid to reach for her for fear she’d drag him beneath with her. But she’d brought him here.

He crept closer. “Oh, God. You’re amazing.”

Her smile broadened. “Thank you.” Quick as a python strike, she rose from the canal, her lips like moist flower petals on his. In a splash, she was gone.

His chest pounding, he scrambled to the edge, but saw only the flicker of a fin, then nothing. “Wait. Come back.” His fingers dug into the roots of the grass, or he might have tumbled in after her, so strong was the urge to follow.

The boat drifted into view. Most of the passengers stood.

“There he is,” someone yelled, and too many moved to one side, making the boat tilt.

AJ waved. “Sit down, you’ll tip it over.” He pushed to his feet, but his knees went to the grass again. “Oh man. I’m going to get fired for this.” He forced himself up. “Sit down.” He held his palms out and made a downward motion.

Where had she gone? Had they seen her swim away?

“Hold on, we’re coming for you,” the fortyish man yelled, though in truth the boat continued to drift, the canal not wide enough for it to turn around.

AJ scanned downstream for any sign of the alligator, but saw nothing. Still, it could lurk below. The thought of the mermaid running into it again frightened him. He held his head.

“Where’s the girl?” a man asked.

“Where’s the alligator?” asked a woman.

“Are you all right?” called someone else.

AJ nodded. He didn’t know what to tell them. He couldn’t think straight. He must have hit his head when he jumped in. None of this seemed real.

“Please, everyone sit down.” The last thing he needed was for the boat to sink. The water wasn’t so deep here, maybe six feet, but too many older people and kids were on board.

When the boat came within a few yards of where he sat, AJ jumped into the water and swam.

“Hurry,” someone yelled. “Before the alligator comes back.”

As if he needed a reminder. Dizziness slowed him down, but his arms flailed toward the boat. Many hands reached over the side to lift him into the boat and guide him into the captain’s chair.

The assault of questions followed. Where’s the girl? What happened? Did you kill the alligator?

That last one, from Jimmy, almost made him laugh. “Please. I don’t know. Let’s just get back to the dock, all right?”

He flicked the ignition switch and revved the engine. His hands shook as he gripped the wheel. He wanted nothing more than to get off this cruise.

And find the girl again, whoever she was.

Chapter Nine

The commotion of the passengers gathered around AJ in the hut roused Harry’s attention as he made the rounds in his cart. After a walkie-talkie call, a second cart skidded to a stop outside the hut.

 Tobias strode inside. “Everything all right, AJ?”

AJ sat straighter on the bench. His muscles were like Jello. “Fine. Maybe a little—”

“He saved the mermaid from the alligator.” Jimmy bounced. His mother took hold of his shoulders, and nodded when Tobias met her gaze.

Then everyone talked at once. He was so brave, one said, and others chimed in. Jumped right in without hesitation and He nearly drowned. Everyone praised the exhausted AJ as a hero for saving the girl. Despite the fact the girl could not be found, and they hadn’t actually seen him defeat the gator. From the stories they told, it sounded as though they had.

Tobias smiled at AJ, though beneath his smile lurked a certain skepticism. “And you didn’t recognize the girl?”

Jimmy tugged at Tobias’ slacks. “I saw her first.”

AJ grinned. “You were an excellent scout, Jimmy.” To Tobias, he said, “No, never saw her before.”

“And you don’t know where she went?” Tobias asked.

“No.” AJ’s hands still shook, so he rubbed them together.

The older woman who’d been quick to point out the girl’s toplessness spoke up. “He hit his head. He was kneeling on the bank, and she had already made her escape.”

Escape, yes. She’d escaped his arms, which ached to hold her. Escaped his lips, which would have pinned her down. Inescapably.

Tobias lifted AJ’s hair from his forehead. “Yes, you do have a nasty bump. See a doctor. We’ll pay for it.”

“I’m fine. Maybe a little tired.” To prove it, AJ pushed himself up from the bench.

“He could have a concussion,” a man said.

Tobias gave AJ a thin smile. “Take the day off tomorrow, then, and rest. Tell your grandfather I insisted.”

“Who do you think she was?” a woman asked.

Tobias smiled sweetly at them, his tone reassuring. “Girls hear about our mermaids and want to be one. Sometimes they can’t pass the rigorous training, and yet can’t give up wanting to be a Weeki Wachee mermaid. I’m guessing the girl was one of the mermaid camp dropouts.”

The explanation placated the crowd, which broke into couples and families as they dispersed from the hut onto the sidewalk.

Tobias waved. “Sorry for any inconvenience, folks.”

“No, it was exciting,” a man said.

“We’re glad everyone’s all right, that’s all.” Jimmy’s mother held the boy’s shoulders. AJ noted the absence of a wedding band, which might explain why she lingered.

Jimmy added, “I was co-captain.”

AJ tousled his hair. “You did a great job, co-captain. I couldn’t have done it without you.”

He couldn’t interpret the look Tobias shot his way. “Come on, I’ll give you a lift back.”

The air rushed against his face as the cart flew down the walkway to the main building.

Tobias waited as AJ stood on shaky legs. “I’ll call Walt to come get you. I’d give you a ride myself, but I have some things that can’t wait.”

“No problem. Thanks.” He followed Tobias inside, then made his way to the lockers.

Chaz crept to AJ’s side, his body tense as a bowstring.

For once, AJ felt glad to see him–the one person who would understand.  When he’d checked that no one else lurked nearby, he whispered, “Tonight. Let’s go back to the bridge.”

Chaz’s gaze sharpened on AJ. “You saw one, didn’t you.” It wasn’t a question. Chaz could tell. AJ didn’t know how, but the guy had a sense for these things, as if he’d trained all his life to catch a mermaid.

“I have to find her.” AJ tried to keep the desperation from his voice, but the way Chaz smiled, AJ knew he’d picked up on it. As if Chaz knew he would do anything to see her again, touch her, hold her.

Chaz spoke in a low voice filled with satisfaction. “Yeah. We’ll go tonight. Nine thirty.”

“I’ll be ready.” AJ tried to ignore the lump in the pit of his stomach, the disgust of collaborating on anything with Chaz.

Chapter Ten

The Caprice slid into the driveway. AJ pushed open the door and went inside to his room before Grandpa could ask any more questions. Questions for which AJ had no answers. He lay on the bed and stared at the ceiling.

From the kitchen, cabinet doors thudded, water gushed and dishes clattered.

After awhile, Grandpa stood in the doorway. “There’s roast beef. How about a sandwich?”

“No thanks.” His voice sounded as small as when he was seven.

“I bought it special for you.” His tone had a teasing quality, edged with a reminder his grandfather was on a budget, and AJ should appreciate the gesture.

“I’ll eat later.” His nerves jangled in his arms and legs, his head buzzed, allowing no thought.

“You had a big day. You rest.” The old man turned toward the hall.

“What time is it?” He shouldn’t have come right home. He should have gone for a walk, done anything but lie here and make the minutes seem like infinity.

Grandpa paused. “Almost seven-thirty.”

God, another two hours yet. He’d go insane, waiting. The need to see her grew like an infection, a fever, a disease. Overpowering his sense of reason.

What if she didn’t come tonight? What if he’d hallucinated her into being this afternoon? She couldn’t possibly be real.

“Son, are you all right?” The concern in his grandfather’s tone heightened his tension.

“Fine. Just exhausted. And wired.” He knew he must look as insane as he felt, staring wide-eyed, unblinking at the ceiling as if it were the most intense thing he’d seen in his life.

He should tell Grandpa–everything. About what happened today, what he and Chaz planned for tonight. But he might try and talk him out of going. Or worse, laugh at him.

Nothing could stand in his way.

His grandfather moved away from the door.

AJ couldn’t wait here one more minute. He grabbed his guitar and headed out the door, saying a quick goodbye without checking whether the old man was even in the room.

He called Chaz on his cell. “I’ll meet you at the bridge. I had to get out of there.”

Chaz said to meet him at nine instead, so they’d have more time to work out details.

AJ closed his phone and slipped it in his pocket.

Those eyes. All he could see were those eyes, right in front of his face, looking into his. He didn’t care if she dragged him to the bottom of the ocean. If he could die in her arms, looking into her eyes, he’d go willingly.

And her lips! Like nectar of the gods. As addicting as crack. He needed to feel those lips on his again. He couldn’t tell Chaz about her lips. Then Chaz would want her for himself.

He’d figure all that out later. He needed Chaz’s help to catch her, to be with her, see her whenever he wanted.

Without realizing, he’d walked to the rocks on the Gulf shore. He stared out over the waves crashing against them. They were rough tonight. He closed his eyes and let the foamy spray cool his face, calm him. He sat with his guitar, picking notes but not playing anything, until his song formed beneath his fingers. He shut his eyes tight, let the melody take shape in his mind, without thought. It flowed smoothly and carried past the point that normally frustrated him.

It came to him, fully. Finally. He sang it, and the chord change didn’t hang him up this time. He played right through. It sounded amazing. The best song he’d ever written. He played it again to ingrain it in his memory. And again and again, until the light faded from the sky.

“Yes. I knew it would be excellent, I knew it.” He dropped his head back and laughed at the sky. The dark sky.

What time was it?

He pulled out his cell phone. “Ah, dammit.” Eight fifty-nine.

Pushing himself to his feet, he slid the guitar strap around his chest. As frantic as he’d been to get there before, now he was filled with a strange calm. Tonight might provide the key to something. As much as he hated to allow Chaz any credit, the dude had a weird sense for things.

He dialed Chaz again and started inland.

“Wait,” a girl said.

His foot slipped on a rock as he absently glanced back, then chided himself.  No one could be out there. No one was on the beach, though. Not one person. Slowly, he stepped toward the water.

The face staring at him from beyond the rocks looked familiar and yet not.

Chaz answered, but AJ couldn’t speak. He flipped the phone shut and stared. “You’re here.” He’d been going to set a trap for her at the bridge.

Her dark hair pooled around her shoulders. “And so are you.”

Her skin glowed like creamy moonlight. Her eyes glistened bright as stars in a night sky. She looked like an angel. Maybe she was. Even in the gathering darkness, she looked more beautiful than it seemed possible.

His cell phone rang. Chaz’s number showed in the display. “Ah, damn.” He couldn’t ignore it.

“Hello. Yeah, sorry about that. I just… ran into somebody I know.” As his gaze met hers, her face alighted with a smile.

“I can’t make it tonight after all. I know, sorry.” He pulled the guitar strap away from his shoulder and set the instrument against a rock, willing her to stay where she was, willing Chaz to shut up. He couldn’t hang up, and risk Chaz coming to look for him.

Chaz threatened and pleaded, whined and cajoled.

“Look, we’ll go some other time. I’m wiped out. I can’t think straight. I sure as hell can’t play.” He couldn’t take his eyes off her. Her soft lips curled into a teasing smile. Her bright eyes following him intently.

Still Chaz argued.

AJ stepped closer to her, afraid she might make a noise Chaz could hear, but unable to stay away. He stood close enough for her to touch him, if she wanted. To grab him and take him beneath the waves.

“Look, I said not tonight. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” He powered the phone down and crouched more quickly than he intended.

In an instant, she slipped beneath the water.

“No.” He peered into the waves, made his voice calm. “Come back.” He leaned far out over the rocks, but the dark waters revealed nothing. “Please.”

The outline of a face appeared in the ripples. Her wide eyes looked into his.

In a hushed tone, he urged, “Please, come back. It’s all right.” He crawled backward in hopes she’d follow.

Her head broke the surface, then her shoulders–such gorgeous shoulders, and arms thin yet muscular.

He kept his voice low. “Please stay.”

With a swoosh, she plunged up and sat on a rock. “Only if you play a song for me.” Her hair clung to her chest, covering her breasts.

His heart pounded against his ribs. Was he dreaming? Could she be real? He had to keep her here long enough to find out.

“Sure. I love to play.” Scrambling to his guitar, he threw the strap over his head and strode toward her.

As she watched him, she braced her hands against the ground with a wary expression.

So as not to alarm her, he halted. He held out a hand in caution, then pointed to a nearby rock. “There?”

Surveying the area around her, she pointed to one closer to her. “There.”

Something moved through him, like music reaching a crescendo. “Got any requests?” He sat, his fingers on the strings.

His question had been facetious. He hadn’t expected her to know any titles, certainly nothing contemporary.

Her eyes widened. “I like so many songs. Beatles, Stones, U2, Pearl Jam…”

His mouth fell open in a laugh. “How do you know Pearl Jam?”

“I’m not a cave dweller. I come up for air.” Insult edged her voice, but it turned wistful as she went on. “I hear music on boats, coming from houses along the shore, or restaurants.”

He had a feeling of floating as he studied her. God, she was incredible.

She braced her hands beneath her. “So do you know any Pearl Jam?”

Think, AJ. Pearl Jam. “Yeah.” He tuned his strings. Not looking at her helped him focus. Once he got a song in his head, his fingers took off from there. And he sang, eyes closed. The only way he’d be able to remember the lyrics. Or to keep singing. Words formed on his lips, something about a light and holding his baby in his arms. He made it through the song, only having to fake one line. The strings resonated with the last chord. He opened his eyes, afraid the rock she occupied would be empty. His nerves untangled as he saw her, more vibrant and alive than anyone he’d ever known.

Leaning toward him, she listened in rapt attention. His music had kept her here. “That sounded nice. Play something else.”

His nervousness bubbled up in a laugh. “OK, U2? Anything in particular?”

Sunday Bloody Sunday.” Enthusiasm made her voice throaty.

Really? “That’s a classic. I’ll have to improvise the drum intro.” He thought for a second, then hit the heel of his hand against the wood of his guitar as his hand banged the strings, creating an echoed beat. An excellent sound. He’d have to remember it. His torso rocked with the music as he sang.

Only once did he open his eyes, to check she still sat there. Her eyes shone in the darkness, an appreciative audience. If only she were as captivated as him. He’d play till his fingers bled if that’s what it took for her to stay.

Request after request, he performed each song, relaxing after the first few to let the music get inside him, lead him to its heights. The more he got into the music, the better she liked it. Imperceptibly, his body strained toward hers, so that he found himself on the next rock closer. She’d moved closer as well.

As he leaned his head down over his guitar at the end of a song, her fingers moved toward his guitar strings as they vibrated with the end of a song. Her touch was so light, the strings still resonated with the notes, moving up the neck of the guitar and down.

Still as a statue, he watched her hand glide toward his, then hesitate.

Her gaze flicked to his. “I’ve always wondered what it felt like.”

When he was eleven, he’d wondered the same thing. It had been easy for him to convince his mom to buy him a guitar. But she couldn’t just ask for a guitar and get one. How would she even play it? “What do you think?”

Her voice came as a rush of breath. “It’s wonderful. It must be incredible to be able to make music like that.”

“It is.” People always told him he had a gift. It never felt like one until now.

Her hand hovered near his.

“Go on.” He wanted to feel her skin, her fingers wrapped in his, but dared not move.

“I don’t know how.” Her smile was shy.

“I could teach you.” He shimmied toward her, so slowly he hoped she wouldn’t mind.

She sat as still as him. “You could?”

“Here, hold it. Get the feel of it.” He slid the strap from around him and lifted the guitar toward her, arching an eyebrow in question.

Her face told him she wanted to take it, but she looked at him with suspicion.

He nodded toward shore. “I’ll go down there, if you want. And I’ve never trusted anyone with my guitar before.”

A smile lit her face.

He held it closer. “Come on, try it.”

“For a little while.” She took the guitar from him and held it against her chest. The thrill of seeing her hold it made it more precious to him than ever.

“Like this?” She poised her hands awkwardly at either end.

“Exactly. Wrap your fingers around the neck, press down on the strings and use your other hand, in a downward motion.” He motioned, afraid to actually touch her for fear of startling her.

Her fingers on the strings, she strummed an awful sound.

Frowning, she laughed. “Eww. Ow.” She looked at her fingertips.

“It takes awhile to get used to the strings. See?” He held out his calloused fingers.

She ran a light touch across them, sending a thrill down his spine and through his stomach.

A breeze rippled through her hair. She lifted her face to his, then scanned the stars. “I have to go soon.”

“No.” He pressed toward her, unable to hold back.

Still as a rock, her eyes widened, but not with fear. With something like pleasure. Her smile teased. “I’ll come back.”

He reached toward her, let his fingers drift near her arm. “When? I’m off tomorrow, maybe…”

Her gaze followed the movement of his hand. Her full voice softened. “I’m not supposed to come up during daylight.” Her pinkie lifted toward his fingers.

An invitation. His heart thudded against his ribs, expanded his chest to bursting.

He let his fingers hover near hers. When their fingers connected, prickles shot past his callouses and up his arm. “But today–”

Mischief infused her smile. “I said I’m not supposed to. They say it’s dangerous.” She entwined her fingers through his.

Her palm against his ignited the prickles to liquid fire. “But you disagree.” He liked a girl who thought for herself.

She squeezed his hand. “Yes. I like to observe people. Try to learn about them.”

He would love to teach her everything he knew. And she could teach him, too. He inched closer.

“I could come back tomorrow night,” she offered.

His brain screamed for him to make her promise, pledge on her life she would return. She owed him nothing.

He owed her everything. “Thanks for saving me today.”

She tilted her head, as if awaiting his kiss. “I couldn’t let an alligator devour such a talented singer.”

It took all he had not to cup her face in his hands, press his mouth against hers. He began to speak, to call her name, then realized he didn’t know it. “What’s your name?”

“Cassiopeia.” She said it as if it were a curse.

“Like the constellation.” Her eyes were a constellation in themselves. “I’m AJ.”

“AJ. What is that for?”

Oh, he wished she hadn’t asked. How he hated his full name. “Andrew James.”

With a half-frown, half-smile, she repeated, “Andrew. Like the saint?”

He grinned. “Lots of people would argue against that.” How did she know about saints?

She lifted the guitar toward him. “Tomorrow night, then. Another lesson.”

“Yes.” Whatever she wanted. He took the guitar from her. She laid her palm against his cheek, and his body went fluid at her warm touch. He let out a long breath.

As if gliding, she moved into the water, and looked back at him once before slipping into the sea.

His legs shot him toward her, stumbling over the rocks. “Hurry back.”

The waves lapped against the rocks, stars glimmered overhead.

Tomorrow night. The wait would be an eternity.

Chapter Eleven

Yesterday’s despair equaled today’s euphoria. All day, AJ went through old set playlists in preparation for tonight, singing each tune to himself, pretending he sang to her. By late afternoon, he’d put together a series of ten songs he thought she would like, in the order he would have played them onstage. One song flowed easily into the next.

Grandpa opened his bedroom door. “Aren’t you going to eat?”

“Yeah, in a bit. I have to finish.” Jotting the last song on his list, AJ grew more excited than if he were playing a real gig.

“Finish what? Are you going to waste your day off playing your guitar?” Grandpa rested his hands on his hips, as unhappy with AJ as always.

There was no way to explain to his grandfather the importance. The urgency. “It’s not a waste. I’m a musician, Grandpa. I’m not going to be a damn Wilderness Cruise captain forever.” For minimum wage, he wanted to add.

“Well excuse me for finding you gainful employment, young man, just when you were at the pinnacle of your musical career.” His emphasis of the word pinnacle was meant to insult, injure. Assault.

Defeated, AJ set his guitar on the bed, his hand across it. He hadn’t set it down all day. The thought of her holding it made him feel closer to her. Her enthusiasm was the push he needed. The push to really focus on music again.

He met his grandfather’s gaze head on. He kept his voice low and steady. “You know I’m grateful. But my music is everything to me.”

His grandfather heaved a sigh. “Your grandmother loved music a great deal. You must have inherited her genes. It’s not nearly as all-consuming to me as it is to you.”

“But you love to sing.” His grandfather didn’t sing often, but when he did, the lyrics came alive in the rich tones of his voice. He didn’t merely sing a song, he lived it. Owned it as if he’d written it himself.

Grandpa’s dark eyes gazed out the window, toward the Gulf. “I used to.”

The connection was never clear until now. His grandmother had loved music. Since her death, music brought Grandpa pain, not enjoyment. The night the radio played Elvis’s Harbor Lights, Grandpa had been moved to bittersweet tears.

AJ stood. “How about we go out for a beer? We could both use a change of scenery.”

His grandfather’s glare softened. “You’re right. Give me five minutes.”

“Give me fifteen. I haven’t showered yet.” He couldn’t show up tonight with the smell of this place on him.

In record time, he showered and dressed. In the car as Grandpa drove, AJ’s mind raced with flashbacks of last night. Her fingers on his. Her beautiful face, so ethereal. And Pearl Jam! And saints–how did she know all this stuff?

Grandpa’s gruff voice startled him. “You’ve been grinning like a damn fool all day.”

Unable to sit still, AJ shifted his legs. “Have I?” He tried to blank his face of emotion, but it kept bubbling forth, a wellspring of elation.

His grandfather stared ahead, but AJ felt the weight of his attention. “You know you have. Why?”

The sun glared like the spotlight of the Inquisition. He flipped down the visor. “I met a girl, that’s all.”

“A girl.” Grandpa spat the words. “Don’t lose your head, son, or you’ll lose everything else along with it.”

“Come on, Grandpa. You know what it’s like to be in love.” As soon as he said it, he was sorry. His grandfather had lost his one true love.

Grandpa grunted. “You’ll find out about love.”

“I hope so.” AJ grinned at his grandfather, who chuckled despite himself.

When they walked into Mel’s, AJ wondered how the business survived. Only four tables were occupied, with another handful of people at the bar.

As she stood near the cash register sorting receipts, Sandra’s vivid red lips expanded into a wide smile. “Walt and AJ, how good to see you again. Sit anywhere, I’ll be right over.”

“Bring a pitcher of beer with you.” Grandpa pointed to the same table as last time. AJ followed, with Sandra not far behind, bearing menus and the all-important pitcher.

Surveying the menu, his grandfather said, “Your mother called last night to check up on you.”

AJ knew Grandpa intentionally avoided eye contact. As a father, he’d been vocal about his disapproval of his daughter’s unstable lifestyle. Always moving from one job to the next, one place to the next, one guy to the next.

“How is she?” AJ hadn’t spoken to her since she’d kicked him out nine months ago.

His grandfather inhaled deeply, as if bracing himself. “She has a new boyfriend.” The positive tone in his voice couldn’t have been more forced.

Great. Another one. Since AJ was little, the trickle of his mother’s boyfriends had grown to a steady stream. None stayed around long enough for him to become attached. None were worth attaching to.

Sandra interrupted with her clownish hair and crazy smile, gold bracelets jangling. “How are you boys tonight? Hungry, I hope.”

His grandfather kept his flirtations to a minimum, probably as anxious to get back to the conversation as AJ was eager not to. He ordered the same crab cakes, AJ didn’t much care for anything but asked for the California burger.

AJ downed his beer. “So how long has this one been around?”

Grandpa set his glasses atop his head, folded his hands before his chin. “Long enough to propose. They’re getting married.”

Laughter choked the beer in AJ’s throat. “I’ll believe that when I see it.”

His grandfather’s steady gaze unnerved AJ. “She asked to have the wedding down here. Next month.”

He winced. “You can’t be serious.” It was just like Mom to throw a monkey wrench into things. And just when things were getting good.

Grandpa’s voice softened. “Call her, AJ. She would like to hear from you.”

Gulping the rest of his beer, AJ couldn’t indulge himself in drowning his sorrows. He had a date tonight. But the news tainted his good mood. A glance at the doorway further poisoned it.

AJ ducked his head. “Ah, shit.”

His grandfather glared at him.

From behind his glass, AJ said, “Sorry. But we’re about to have company. Again.”

His grandfather rolled his eyes as Chaz strutted to the table, his smile less ingratiating than usual.

Anger simmered below the surface of his pleasantness. “Well well well. AJ. Hello, Mr. Anderson.” He slid in the booth beside AJ without asking. “I’m so glad I caught up with youse.”

“We’re delighted as well.” Grandpa enunciated sharply, a move he used to counteract bad grammar in his students. Since his retirement, the world had become his student.

Chaz turned to AJ. “I been tryin’ to call you all day. Your phone not workin’?”

“Guess I forgot to charge it.” AJ sipped from his glass, his grip on it tight.

“Huh.” Chaz’s expression remained as unchanging as a mannequin’s, his smile as plastic. A slight twinge of his eyes was the only giveaway of his suspicion. “Well, I caught up with you now.” He shifted in his seat, his arm moved close to AJ’s.

AJ poured more beer, any excuse to shift away from the guy. He braced himself. Chaz would not be happy to hear AJ had other plans tonight, too.

Chaz studied AJ with keen eyes. “After dinner, maybe we could hang out some more.”

AJ kept his voice light, his expression blank. “No, can’t. I have to meet someone.”

Chaz’s lips went crooked, his eyes shone with anger. “What, another hot date?”

Finally, enunciation.

“Something like that.” AJ glanced at his grandfather, whose silence seemed menacing. For Chaz.

Chaz pressed his shoulder close to AJ’s, his voice low and urgent. “We still need to finish that thing. It can’t wait much longer.”

AJ narrowed his eyes, but forced a smile. “Not tonight. I’m busy.”

Sandra brought their food. “Oh, you’re back, too. How nice. Can I get you anything?”

Chaz pushed himself up. “I guess I’m not stayin’ this time.” His sharp gaze cut to AJ. “See you tomorrow.”

“Bye.” AJ reached to take his plate from Sandra.

Chaz turned on his heel and strode out of the bar as if late for an appointment.

Sandra’s lips fluttered in and out of a smile. “Everything all right?”

Grandpa gave her a wide smile. “It is now. Thank you, my dear.” After she left, he said to AJ, “Why do you hang out with riffraff like him? That punk reeks of trouble.”

“He keeps pestering me.” AJ bit into his burger, but his stomach churned. His grandfather was right. Trouble hung in the air even though Chaz had left.

“What ‘thing’ do you need to finish?” His grandfather cut his crab cake, but AJ felt his intense scrutiny.

“It’s nothing. Believe me, I don’t want to be around him any more than you do.” He scanned the Gulf’s horizon. “So when is she coming down?”

Grandpa paused his fork before his mouth, apparently as hesitant as AJ to continue the earlier conversation. “The twentieth of next month.”

AJ pushed angry thoughts from his head, questions about why his mother hadn’t told him about this guy, hadn’t told him anything. He needed a long walk to clear his head.

They finished their meal over small talk. AJ couldn’t wait any longer. He had to get out of here, get to the beach.

In the car, AJ’s knee bounced all the way home. He practically sprinted to his room and grabbed his guitar. “I’m going out.”

“Yes. So I heard.” Grandpa started to say something, then dismissed AJ with a wave.

Relieved, AJ shot through the door before Grandpa could think of some argument.

The blacktop baked through AJ’s soles until he reached the sand, which gave way to his strides and sprayed in his wake. Not until he climbed onto the rocks did he slow down, when he stood looking out over the waves shimmering in the setting sun.

Where was she? How far away? What if a shark went after her? Or a boat propeller caught her tail? Fear gripped him as he waited. He knew so little about her. Nothing, really, except her muscles were powerful enough to carry him away from the alligator in a matter of seconds, it seemed. As he’d replayed the events in his head last night, he concluded the second thud had resulted from her smacking the gator to unconsciousness. She had to be capable of defending herself from other things. She had to be.

He sat and cradled the guitar on his lap. After playing all day, his fingers were sore and needed a break so he could play tonight. With his eyes closed, he reviewed the list of songs, all great songs like the ones he played for her last night. He let the sound of the waves and gulls’ cries combine with the songs in his head. When a hissing noise mixed with the spray of the waves, he opened his eyes. The dome of the sky had turned deep blue, though a paler blue lit the horizon. He wondered what time it was. He’d left his phone off, but reached for it to check the time.

A girl’s giggle snapped his attention to the sea. He waited, afraid to breathe. “Cassiopeia?”

She burst from the waves like an angel taking flight. The full moon rising along the horizon illuminated her, made her look magical. Bracing her arms against her sides, her torso came out of the water, revealing the top of her tail, that seamless skin binding girl to fin.

“Hello, Andrew James.” Her smile teased, and her tone was playful.

Relief flooded him. “Oh, thank God.”

Confusion knit her brows. “Why do you say that?”

Did she not know about God? That discussion was too complex for tonight. “I worried maybe a shark had gotten you or something.”

She wriggled along the rocks to rest within two feet of him. “I can out-swim a shark any day.”

Her spunk made him smile. “I’m glad.”

“I’m glad you brought your guitar.” Her seductive tone made him catch his breath.

His muscles tensed, ready to take her in his arms. She hadn’t spoken about him that way, but his guitar. To be jealous of a guitar was crazy, but the way she looked at his made him envious, at least. Like she wanted to hold it. Probably like he looked at her. And it was, after all, his key to getting closer.

“Would you like to play it?” He thrust it toward her.

She jerked away at the sharp motion. Nervousness edged her laugh. “Shouldn’t I wait until I dry off a little? The wood might warp.”

“It’ll be fine.” He held it closer.

“AJ.” She squeezed her hair, and water fell freely. “I’m dripping wet.”

He slumped back on the rock. “I just thought, you know, we don’t have a lot of time. And it’s like a gift I could share–I want to share.”

Her dark eyes swept across him. “Give me your shirt.”

Lost in her gaze, he asked absently, “What?”

More pointedly, she repeated, “Let me wear your shirt. It’ll protect the guitar.”

“Oh. Good idea.” He set the instrument across his lap, pulled off his T-shirt and held it out. The breeze on his skin heightened his awareness of being half-naked. Or half-dressed. After all, Cassie wore nothing. His pulse surged at the thought.

Her eyes wandered across his bare shoulders, down his chest to his stomach.

Mesmerized, he took in every part of her, to commit every detail of her to memory. The smooth curve of her shoulders, the grace of her movements showing her sheer power. How the moonlight contrasted her dark hair and the pale blush of her skin. Her amazing eyes rimmed with full, dark lashes. The smooth curve of her tail as it rippled. The sway of her hips as she slid closer. Closer than she needed to.

He swallowed hard, trying to keep still, trying not to reach for her. It was the hardest thing he’d ever done. His chest swelled as he forced himself to take a deep breath, and wait. It had to be on her time. If she wanted.

As she reached for his shirt, the scent of salt water and something sweet as a flower wafted to him. A light scent, but intoxicating.

“Thanks.” Threading her arms into the sleeves, she lifted it over her head.

Her hair shifted, revealing part of her breast. His hand shot to the shirt, tugged it over her back.

She flinched away and glared at him.

He smiled nervously. “Just helping. It bunched up in the back.” He withdrew his hand, held it up in surrender.

She ducked her head, but he saw her smile. With one movement, she lifted her hair from beneath the shirt and let it cascade down her back. Grabbing the front of the shirt, she lifted it to her face. “I like this, it’s very soft. And it smells like you.”

He couldn’t be misreading her signs. Every girl he’d been with had given the same kind of signals, the type of cues to tell him she was interested. Sure, most weren’t as subtle as Cassiopeia, but still…

She held out her arms. “I’m ready.”

He watched her mouth move. Oh, he was ready, too.

“AJ,” she said, looking into his eyes. “Are you going to teach me to play or not?”

“Play?” he repeated dumbly. He thought she’d never ask. He leaned in, his lips parting, ready to devour hers.

Her head tilted, and her mouth twitched into a smile, then looked stern. “The guitar, AJ.”

She might as well have thrown a bucket of cold water on him. “Oh.” He laughed to cover his embarrassment. “Yeah, the guitar.” He lifted it from his lap.

She settled it across her as if she’d done it a thousand times. “Are there any easy songs? Something a beginning could learn quickly?”

“Well, there’s always Smoke on the Water.” He couldn’t imagine her playing that one. “No, really, the best thing at first is to get a feel for it. Start with a few chords, let your fingers strum across the strings. Damn, I should have brought a pick for you, so you wouldn’t hurt your fingernails.”

She strummed, and pressed her fingers around its neck. “My fingernails are fine. The metal’s a bit harsh on my skin, but I’ll survive.”

He gasped. “Metal. I forgot.”

She glanced up quickly, her eyes wide. “You forgot what?”

Oh, man. Now he’d frightened her. He shrugged. “My grandfather said mermaids don’t like metal.”

She tensed. “Why did he say that?” The playfulness left her voice.

Hoping to quell the awkwardness, AJ did what he did best with girls—he lied. “It was a long time ago. When I was growing up, he told me all kinds of mermaid stories.”

She sat unmoving, watching him intently. Waiting for a better explanation.

AJ had to move them past this awkward moment. “Bedtime stories, that’s all. Does it hurt too much? I could look for some vinyl strings. But they don’t have the right sound.”

She adjusted the guitar, left her questions unspoken, but her expression gave away her lingering doubts. “No, this is fine. Now show me a chord.”

He moved awkwardly to help her place her fingers on the frets. “You know, it would work better if I could sit behind you.”

She arched her brows in question.

“To be able to show you better.” And feel her next to him. Inhale her scent so far into his lungs, she’d always be inside him.

“All right.” She sounded unconvinced, but willing.

Like a spider, he moved his hands and legs to situate himself around her. “Ow. Damn rocks. Sorry.” He shoved a large flat one behind the rock she sat on, and extended his legs on either side. “There.”

He hadn’t counted on the effect her nearness would have on him. There she sat, wearing his T-shirt, her slim back covered by her long hair–it touched his legs, his crotch. He wanted to lay his face on it, slide his arms around her. Just hold her against him, and feel her breaths rise and fall.

“Show me a few basic chords.” She moved her arms mechanically trying to find the correct position.

He swallowed hard to focus. “First, relax.” He lifted her arms, swayed them up and down. “Don’t tense up or you’ll make it harder on yourself.”

She exhaled. “OK. I’m relaxed now. So I put my fingers here…” Her body arched over the guitar as she curled her hands around the guitar’s neck.

He leaned in, his head close to hers. “Here.” He laid his fingers lightly atop hers, adjusting them on the frets. He had to close his eyes to keep his head, keep from sliding his hands along her arms to her waist. He held his breath for a moment to steady himself.

She glanced back, but continued to pick out staccato notes. “You made it look so easy.”

“It’ll get easier. It takes practice.” He gave a nervous laugh. “A lot of practice.” He would practice with her every night, if she wanted.

Her shoulders flexed with her movements. The guitar made an awful sound as she strummed, a mashup of strings and a truncated chord. “Ugh.”

“Hey, relax.” Reflexively, his hands went to her shoulders and massaged.

She tensed further. “I should go,” she blurted.

He relaxed his touch, let his fingers slide along her shoulders and caress her back through the T-shirt. “No. Why? Come on, Cassie.”

Without looking at him, she set the guitar down. “I shouldn’t be here.”

“Yes, you should. Please.” His hands went to her waist. He could never hold her there physically, but maybe with something stronger.

Her voice trembled. “I don’t belong here. I’m not supposed to be with… someone like you.” She twisted away from him, and moved toward the sea.

The sting of her words made his eyes water. “Don’t say that.”

“It’s true, AJ.” She looked away, and brushed her hand against her nose.

He pressed toward her. “Listen to me. We can’t let other people decide who we should be with. I’ve never known anyone like you.”

She rolled her eyes. “That’s no surprise.”

“No, I don’t mean that. Well, obviously, I’ve never known another mermaid.” He sighed, frustrated. “I’ve never known anyone who made me feel like this. No one ever made me look forward to getting up in the morning because I might have a chance to be with her.”

Straightening her back, she folded her arms and looked out over the moonlit ocean. Still wearing his shirt.

Her hesitancy encouraged him. “Someone who makes me laugh. Who challenges me.”

She glanced at him, her brows furrowed.

“You make me want to be a better person.” He ducked his head. “There’s a lot of room for improvement, I know. But give me a chance to be that person.”

Sadness filled her eyes. “I have to go.”

He closed his eyes as she took off his shirt. The warm cotton fell across his clenched fists. He grasped the fabric. “Will you come back?”

Blinking fast, she looked away. “I don’t know.”

“Please. You have to.” He reached for her arm.

She shrank from his touch. “If I can.”

“I’ll wait for you. Here.” A feeling crept on him, a panic that this was the last time he’d ever see her. “Because otherwise, I’ll have to come look for you.”

“What?” She turned, alarm in her face. “Don’t be stupid. You’d drown.”

He shrugged. “Guess you’d better come back, then. Or I’ll be out there swimming as far from shore as I can. And who knows what might happen out there? A shark could come along. I could get exhausted from swimming and just… sink.”

Her mouth dropped open as she searched his face. She could tell it was a bluff, he knew, by the way her expression softened. “I’ll try. That’s all I can promise.”

He brought the shirt to his face to cover his happiness. “See you tomorrow.”

“Maybe,” she said emphatically. But he caught her smile as she made her way to the edge. She turned back once, then slid into the water.

His blood coursed through his veins like a roller coaster. He burst upward and ran to the sea, scanning the surface for any glimpse. Her rear rounded up, and her tail flipped. Unable to contain himself, he let out a long whoop, and waved, holding his shirt against his chest. It still had her scent. Hurriedly, he put it on, caressing it all over, as if she still wore it.

Chapter Twelve

The bliss of last night filled AJ as soon as he awoke. He showered and dressed, singing the whole time.

Grandpa stuck his head in his bedroom door. “What’s all the racket?”

“Sorry. I got carried away.” He slipped his feet into his shoes and bent to tie them.

His grandfather studied him. “The girl, huh?”

Stepping to the mirror, AJ combed his hair. “I feel like I’m going to bust out of my skin, you know?”

Grandpa grunted. “Isn’t it a little soon for that?”

AJ tucked in his shirt, and glanced around for his belt, which should be near his shoes. “What?”

His grandfather folded his arms across his chest. “You just met her, correct?”

Lifting some clothes from the floor, AJ found the belt and slipped it through his jeans. “Yes, but—”

“You’re moving too fast.” Grandpa widened his stance and set his jaw.

“I have to, Grandpa. I don’t want her to get away.” AJ went to the mirror. His hair looked too straight. He ran his fingers through to loosen the layers.

Grandpa’s face softened, his voice was less gruff. “If she’s worth anything, she’ll stay. You can’t rush these things.”

AJ wasn’t going to argue with his grandfather, especially not about love. Grandpa hadn’t felt it in too long. His grandfather couldn’t relate to what he was feeling.

His voice still stern, Grandpa said, “I made pancakes.”

AJ couldn’t tell him the truth–he wasn’t hungry, not for food. “Thanks.”

He followed his grandfather to the table, shoveled in a few forkfuls, then pushed his plate away. “I better get going.”

Grandpa frowned over his coffee cup. “You have plenty of time.”

He stood, still gulping his milk, and set his plate in the sink. “I want to get there early, since I was out yesterday.” He knew his grandfather wouldn’t argue with a responsible work ethic.

Leaning back, Grandpa set his hands on his legs. “Would you like me to drive you?”

AJ wiped his hands on the kitchen towel hanging from the stove handle. “No thanks. I have extra energy I need to work off.”

Grandpa’s disapproving glare only made AJ’s heart lighter. When he opened the front door, sunshine burst into the dim home. “See you tonight.”

He walked at a brisk pace, though the June sun already sizzled against his skin. He sang all the way to Weeki Wachee Springs. He clocked in and hastily left the employee locker room for the Wilderness Cruise.

A few elderly folks tottered into the hut.

“Morning,” AJ called with a smile, then hummed as he filled the engine with gas.

His good mood continued through lunch. Chaz hadn’t ambushed him yet. Maybe he wasn’t in today. It was less likely he’d given up.

On his way toward the entrance at the end of the day, someone whistled. AJ turned.

“AJ, my man. You all recovered?” Chaz’s sleazy smile appeared at the end of the dim hallway like a sinister Cheshire cat.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” AJ kept walking.

Chaz strutted toward him and caught up with him at the door. “Great. How are your lungs?”

“What? My lungs are fine.” He pushed past him into the parking lot.

Chaz buzzed around him like a hornet. “Then we can carry on with our plan, huh? You can sing tonight.”

AJ paused. “Not tonight. I’m busy.”

“Busy again.” Chaz fell back for a moment, then charged ahead to fall into step with AJ. “Same girl?”

“Yeah.” AJ held his pace even, though he wanted to run. Or shove Chaz. Anything to get away.

“She must be some special kind of girl, for you to be so crazy about her so quick.” No matter how casual Chaz’s tone, he was interrogating AJ nonetheless.

“She is.” Maybe if he kept his answers short, the dude would take the hint.

The strain of trying to keep pace sounded in his breathy voice. “Cause I figured you more for a player, not someone who fell in love with a girl just like that.”

AJ kept his gaze ahead, but felt Chaz’s constant stare. “She’s different.”

“Different how?” Chaz stepped in front of AJ, his steely grey eyes bore into him.

Oh, man. How did he pick up on the slightest nuance like that? AJ shrugged, his annoyance came through in his tone. “She’s nice. And smart. And funny. I like talking to her. Being with her.” He sounded like a drooling middle-schooler.

And it wasn’t fooling Chaz one bit. His intense gaze cut through AJ’s bullshit lines. He knew.

“She sounds really special.” The way he said it made AJ want to scrub his skin with strong soap. Like he pictured her naked.

AJ set his hands on his hips. “She is. I don’t want to mess things up.”

The movement of Chaz’s head might have been a nod, might have been a nervous twitch. He didn’t release AJ from his crazy-eyed scrutiny.

He had to get away from the creep. “Listen, we’ll work out a night, maybe next week. All right?”

“Sure. Next week.” His eyes glazed, Chaz sounded far from convinced.

“That’s what I said.” AJ shifted his legs, ready to sprint away the moment this damn conversation ended.

“And you’re a man of your word.” Chaz tilted his head, and narrowed his eyes. “And in the meantime, maybe we could double-date. I’d like to meet this girl of yours.”

AJ winced. “What? No.”

With pouty lips, Chaz clucked his tongue. “Don’t be afraid, AJ. I won’t steal her from you.” His eyes shone with hate–or something more insidious.

“Look, maybe sometime. We’ll see.” AJ ducked his head and walked.

“What about Friday? We could go to a movie, you, me, your girl.”

“The three of us?” AJ laughed as he turned, but kept moving, out of whatever web Chaz tried to spin around him.

Chaz’s shoulder jerked. “I’ll ask Susie. Or Darlene. She’s willing enough.”

“What about Tobias’ rule?” Sweat beaded on AJ’s brow, but if he could thwart Chaz’s plan in any way, better to do it now.

“Screw Tobias, man. What he don’t know won’t hurt him. So what do you say?”

This dude wouldn’t give up. “I’ll ask,” AJ lied.

Chaz arched his eyebrows, turned down the ends of his mouth. “Good.”

“Yeah. See you.” He strode away, not too hurriedly. He didn’t want to raise Chaz’s suspicions any further.

Chapter Thirteen

Grandpa bustled about the kitchen. He’d gone all out for dinner and made homemade crab cakes. “I thought maybe you and I could go out after dinner for a beer. Catch up with Mel and Sandra, eh?”

As if Mel and Sandra were AJ’s contemporaries, too. Why was AJ so damn popular all of a sudden? When he least wanted attention, people flocked around him. “Sorry, I can’t tonight.”

His grandfather harrumphed. “Don’t tell me you’re seeing her again?”

“I hope so.” AJ set out silverware and two plates. “Why don’t you go by yourself? You and Mel could chat at the bar.”

Grandpa set the skillet atop a trivet on the table. “No, no. I am not the type to hang out in bars alone.”

“You wouldn’t be alone. Mel would be there. And probably more of your friends.” His grandfather’s hermitlike life worried AJ. He was too young to shut himself away from the world. Away from another chance at something good.

Grandpa sat with a sigh. “Never mind. It was only a thought.”

“Hey, we’ll do it soon, OK?” He speared the dubious-looking crab cake onto his fork and tasted it. “Mmm. Excellent.” He worked his jaw to keep the wince from showing.

His grandfather lifted a forkful. “Not as bad as I expected.” He set his sights on AJ. “Certainly not excellent.”

AJ shrugged. “Still within the range of excellence.”

Grandpa spat a laugh.

AJ gulped his milk, wishing for something stronger to kill the taste. “An excellent effort. It gives you something to aim for. You don’t want to achieve perfection right off the bat.”

His grandfather peered over his glasses. “And you should have been a politician.”

“Me? Never. I have too much soul.” He shoveled the last of his meal into his mouth.

Grandpa nodded. “Yes. You do at that.”

Though it was much too early, AJ couldn’t wait. “I have to go.” He carried his dishes to the sink.

Weariness infused his grandfather’s voice. “Leave those. I’ll take care of it.”

AJ took a long step and kissed the top of his grandfather’s head. “Thanks.”

From his room, he took his guitar, a pick and the playlist. He’d practice while he waited. She’d show. He had a good feeling. “Hey Grandpa, I’m going to take an old comforter, all right?”

A grumble from the kitchen was answer enough.

“See you.” He slung his guitar strap over his shoulder and the blanket over top. He couldn’t stop singing as he walked, and thinking of what songs she might like.

The beach was quiet. Only one couple walked in the distance with their dog. He liked it best when no one was around. Playing to a crowd felt great, but playing to an audience of one thrilled him more than he ever imagined. Watching her expression grow more intense in time with the music, seeing the admiration in her face.

He settled as close to the edge as he could without the spray reaching his guitar. The salt air probably corroded its finish already, but that couldn’t be helped. He smoothed an area large enough to comfortably fit her, and lay the comforter on it.

The songs flowed one into the other. Every so often, AJ paused to listen, but the only sounds were the gentle waves, the breeze. As he played on, the moon rose, its reflected rays stretching across the water. He stopped to check the time on his cell phone. Ten. Maybe she couldn’t get away. Maybe she wasn’t coming. He stared out over the bobbing waters. He’d stay awhile longer. Just in case.

A shadow flitted beneath the surface, and her head appeared.

His breath rushed from his lungs. “Cassiopeia. I knew you’d come.”

“I can’t stay long.” She pushed up out of the water. “What’s that.” Her gaze went to the blanket.

“It’s so you’d be more comfortable.” And close by.

She slid to the blanket and sat, her head down.

Afraid to even breathe, he didn’t move. “You have to stay awhile, at least. You have a lot of practicing to do.”

Her hair lifted in a breeze as she looked out to sea and sniffed.

“What’s wrong?” His fingers were at her shoulder before he could think.

A hardness set in her features as she gazed out over the sea. “I’m so sick of them. Telling me what I can and can’t do. What I should and shouldn’t do.”

He leaned closer. “Who, your parents?”

Her laugh held no humor. “My whole family. My sister’s going to the Mer Academy, so they expect me to follow. I’ve had enough studying. I want to do things, not read about them.” She glanced up at him. “Sorry. I had a bad day.”

“No, tell me. What’s the Mer Academy? Is it like college?” He stroked her hair lightly. She probably didn’t know what college was, but she seemed to pick up ideas quickly. He wished he knew half of what she knew, or what her world was like.

She knit her brows. “It’s so hypocritical. Human Studies—as if a mer can teach that. It’s only to reinforce the notion mers are superior to humans.” If she noticed his hand at her back, she didn’t acknowledge it. Instead, she touched a large rock, her fingers ran across its edges.

“I won’t argue. People are stupid.” Himself most of all. He’d wasted so much time, directionless. Cassie was smart enough to do whatever she wanted with her life.

In a motion quicker than he thought possible, she tossed the rock far out to sea. “The Mer Academy is nothing more than a mating ritual. My parents expect me to find a suitable merman and settle down.”

He tensed, and a hardness filled the pit of his stomach. “You’re not going to, are you?”

She whirled to face him. “No. All the mermen in our clan are idiots.” She softened her voice. “And mers mate for life. I don’t—”

“For life.” He wanted to add, So do humans–as if he could compete with a merman—but statistics proved otherwise. Except for his grandfather, he didn’t know many others who fell in love with one person for a lifetime.

Her eyes held a question he couldn’t decipher.

“What?” he asked.

She sighed. “You’re lucky. You’re not confined by where you live, or what you are.”

“Are you kidding? I’m confined by the same things you are–life, family expectations. Although I can’t say my mom expects much from me. My Grandpa sets me up with a job just to bring in a paycheck.” To complain about his grandfather felt like treason; he wasn’t ungrateful. More like dissatisfied, and more with himself than with Grandpa.

She searched his face. “You can’t use your job, or your mom’s low expectations, as an excuse not to do what you want to do.”

The truth of her words was like a slap to his ego. “What?” He sat straight, and withdrew his hand from her back.

“Your music. Isn’t that what you really want to do?”

He leaned away. “Yeah, but–”

“Then you shouldn’t give up on it.” Her insistence irritated him. She hardly knew him. Yet she knew the most important thing.

His tone sounded sharper than he intended. “I’m not. I took a break, that’s all. My band broke up.” He couldn’t tell her it had nothing to do with the music and everything to do with his own inability to control himself.

The flimsiness of his argument was obvious to himself. The skeptical look on her face told him he hadn’t fooled her.

A year ago, if any girl had said what she said, he’d have walked away without a thought, and never looked back. He struggled against the urge to stand, put space between them. More space wasn’t what he wanted. He wanted less.

He softened his voice, but it was laden with sarcasm. “I’m playing, aren’t I? And writing new songs.”

She glanced away.

Great. Now he’d hurt her, too. He had to break this funk.

“Anyway, I don’t want to talk about music. I want to create it.” Lifting his guitar, he held it toward her. “Can we?”

She swiped her cheek. “It sounds nothing like music when I try to create it.” She adjusted her tail in front of her, and sat regal as a princess. “I’d rather hear you play anyway.”

He’d rather have her hold the guitar, so he could sit behind her, but if playing would keep her here, he’d play all night. “OK. I put together a list of songs I think you’ll like.”

She tilted her head. “Any Neil Young?”

He ran his hand through his hair. “Wow, didn’t see that one coming. I could maybe fake one of his songs.”

Her face alight, she said, “Harvest Moon.”

At a loss for words, AJ stammered. “How do you…”

She explained, “A man and a woman sail their yacht to a certain spot all summer. She asks him to play that song, and they dance on the deck. Always during a full moon. The moon tonight reminded me of it. I haven’t heard it in awhile.”

He closed his eyes, hoping the song would come to him, but it eluded him. He knew he’d heard it, but…

“It starts with a guitar, very sweet chords.” She hummed the intro.

“Yeah, okay. I remember now.” He adjusted the guitar across his legs. “I’ll do my best.” He plucked the tune.

“A little faster.” She rocked her head to the beat, and he strummed faster to keep time. “There.” Her eyes widened with pleasure.

He stumbled on the opening, closing his eyes as he struggled to remember the words.

When she sang the opening, it seemed like an invitation to heaven. To come closer.

“Oh, right.” The song became more familiar. His voice mixed with hers into the first stanza. He followed her lips as they sang, laughing when she had to prompt him on the lyrics. When they’d reached the final verse, where the singer revealed his love, she harmonized the last line …on this harvest moon.

She rested her fingers near the strings as the vibrations faded.

AJ held himself still, though he wanted nothing more than to run his fingers through her dark hair. “You have a great voice. Do you sing… down there?”

Her lips pressed together in a half-smile, half-smirk. “Yes. We do all sorts of things ‘down there’.”

Of course they did. He sounded like an idiot. Or a bigot. “Sorry, I don’t know much about your people.”

“Mer people. Music is very important to us, the same as it is to ‘your people’.” She looked up at him, a sparkle in her eyes.

He relaxed, knowing she had been teasing. “What now?”

“Surprise me.” She rested her hands behind her and leaned back. Some of her hair fell behind her shoulders, but not enough to reveal her breasts. “Still looking for the clam shells?” she teased.

He looked away, warmth creeping up his neck. “No, I, uh…”

“Play, AJ.”

His hands moved automatically, gratefully. He finished the song, his hand poised in the air, the move he’d used onstage to add flair to the end.

Shifting her tail upward, she rested her elbows against the bend where her knees would have been. “That was nice. But don’t you know anything with a heavier beat? Something that rocks.”

She was full of surprises.

“You like rock music?”

“Nirvana, Foo Fighters. Anything with a strong guitar. Springsteen’s great, too.”

“Springsteen. OK.” He launched into Hungry Heart, his heart lightening when her head bounced to the beat.  He followed with Foo Fighters, another U2, then thought he’d throw her a curve with Stevie Ray Vaughn.

“Oh, I love the blues.” She shifted her shoulders with the guitar slides, letting the rhythm carry her.

“You’d be a awesome dancer. If you know, you had… legs.” He swallowed hard, hoping he hadn’t offended her.

“I dance, in my own way.”

“Yeah?” He could imagine her underwater, twirling and spinning like the Weeki Wachee mermaids, only much more graceful.

“Yeah.” Her tail twitched as she looked him over. “Come with me. I’ll show you.”

Fear held him in place. What if Grandpa had been right? What if she took him to where she lived, and never brought him back?

She laughed. “You should see your face. Like I’m going to eat you or something.”

“No, I was only trying to picture it, that’s all.” He adjusted the tuning of a string.

“Come with me, and you can see for yourself.” The moonlight made her face radiant. Her expression mixed challenge and skepticism.

He’d be underwater, with her arms around him. “All right.” If he drowned, he’d be with her, at least.

“Take your shoes off. They slowed me down the other day.” In seconds, she disappeared into the waves.

Leaning his guitar securely against the rock, he removed his shoes, stood and went to the edge. The waves washed over the rocks. He dipped his hand in. “Whoa. Kind of chilly.”

Her hand gripped his upper arm and pulled him underwater to her open arms, which wrapped around him. The cold bothered him less than the pressure as they shot through the sea to beyond where the waves broke.

As they surfaced, he sputtered, gasping for air. “Give me a little warning next time so I can catch my breath.”

 She released him and glided behind him. “Sorry. You didn’t like it?”

“Yes, I did.” He liked the feel of her holding him, and wished she’d do it again. “So show me.”

Her tail curled around his legs as she floated around his side and came face to face with him, her breath sweet on his face. “You won’t sink from exhaustion if I leave you here, will you?”

Moonlight lit the surface of the sea, let him see her clearly.

“Leave? Why?” The lights along the shore looked to be maybe a mile away. He could probably swim that far, if he had to.

“Only for a minute. How else can I show you?”

“Yeah, I…”

She slipped beneath the water.

“…guess.” He treaded water as she raced around him in a circle, faster than any dolphin. He wished he could see better, watch her every move, rather than the blur spinning around him. In a huge splash, she whooshed high out of the sea until her tail glided past the moon. Twisting in a somersault, she dove down, fingertips first. The water barely moved with her entry. If she were human, she could be an Olympian. Like a torpedo, she spun just below the surface away from him, then toward him.

“Wooo!” He laughed as she glided to a stop in front of him. “That was so cool.”

“It’s more fun at home. More room to do what I like.”

“Oh.” He hoped she didn’t plan to take him there now. He was having second thoughts about dying in her arms.

Her voice became wistful. “Too bad you can’t see it. It’s so beautiful down there.”

He glanced toward shore. “Are we drifting further out?”

“Do you want to go back now?”

“Well…”

She floated closer and put her hands on his waist. “Say when.”

He no longer needed to tread in her powerful grip. Like an insistent drumbeat, his heart pounded in his chest, yet the moment seemed frozen in time. A storm might be raging in his head, but she remained the center of calm.

He let his hands drift to her shoulders, into her hair. “How can this be real? I feel like I’m dreaming.”

Her tail brushed his legs, her breasts pressed against his chest. “I’m real.” Her hands slipped around his waist, the slow swooshes of her tail kept them afloat.

As he’d imagined, he cupped her face with his hands, brought his lips to hers. Not the sloppy, almost harsh kisses he gave other girls. Her lips were tender, wonderful. Her mouth moving against his felt better than sex. Almost. He could drown in her kiss and never come up for air.

Slowly, he lifted his lips from hers and gazed into her eyes.

She looked toward shore. “I should bring you back.”

“No.” It burst from him too abruptly. He softened his voice.” I don’t want to leave you.”

“I have to go soon. I’ll get in trouble.” Her eyes searched his. “Then I won’t be allowed to come back.”

“Promise me you will.” His desperation came through in his tone.

With mock solemnity, she said, “I will, Andrew James.”

He caressed her cheek, her neck. “When? Tomorrow night?” It felt strange, not being the strong one, depending on her for his well being. Somehow he liked being under her control. He’d do anything she asked. Let her do anything she wanted.

She swirled them like a whirlpool, leaning her head back and laughing. “Yes,” she said, slowing. “Tomorrow.” Releasing her hold, she turned away from him. “Hold on.”

He grabbed her waist as she propelled them toward shore, slowly this time. Her tail undulated against his legs. He splayed one hand along her rib cage and held her hip with the other, imagining her beneath him in his bed.

But that wasn’t possible. She couldn’t live on land. And he couldn’t live under the ocean.

The beach drew near too quickly. Maybe he should ask her to take him home with her. He’d grab his guitar… but how could he play it underwater?

She twisted to face him, and set him on the shore. “Good night.”

He grabbed her waist and pulled her to him. “Wait.” He lifted his lips to hers, his hands ran down her spine to where skin became fin, and down the soft curve.

With a moan, she shuddered against him and pressed her lips hard against his. His heart raced and his blood rushed as fast as when she’d whooshed him through the water.

She leaned away. “I have to go.”

“Are you sure?” His lips reached for hers.

With a quick kiss, she pushed against his shoulders. “I’ll be back.”

He held tight. “I’ll be waiting.”

She slid down against his chest, her slow smile burning into his heart.

He waited until her form blurred to nothingness beneath the water, then sat watching the moonlight ripple across the surface. In the distance, she leapt from the sea in a twist, making his heart leap, too, then plunged and disappeared.

He stood. “Cassiopeia.”

Only the breeze through his wet clothes moved him, singing her name in different variations as he stepped along the rocks. He stopped at the rock where he’d set his guitar. He felt sure he’d leaned it against the opposite side. He sat and reached for his shoes, but found only one. He put it on and stood. The other lay a foot away. Definitely not where he’d left it.

Someone had been here. “At least they left my guitar. My luck must be improving.”

He hummed as he made his way back to his grandfather’s house.

Tomorrow, he’d tell Chaz the deal was off. He couldn’t take any chances.

Chapter Fourteen

As AJ suspected, Chaz cornered him first thing in the morning at the employee lockers.

“So how was your date last night?” Chaz leaned his shoulder against the locker next to AJ’s.

“Good. Real good.” Much as he’d tried to suppress it, excitement edged his voice. He couldn’t think about her without his pulse racing. Without wanting to sing. And twirl, arms wide open under the sky, as she’d twirled him last night.

“So what’s her name?” Chaz’s tone sounded casual, but his intense scrutiny told AJ he was anything but.

He kept his answers short and sweet, and tried to sound dull. “Cassie.”

Chaz fired the question at him. “Does she live around here?”

“Yeah uh, I don’t know exactly where she lives. I don’t want to meet her parents yet, you know?” He twirled the lock’s tumbler and tucked in his shirt.

Chaz’s voice deepened as he finally got to his point. “So what night do you think you’ll be free?”

AJ slid past and headed for the door. “Not for awhile. I want to see this girl as much as I can. Before she figures out what a loser I am and dumps me.”

“And what about our plan?” Anger came through in his voice.

Maybe AJ could reason with him. He paused in the doorway. “Look, Chaz. It’s a waste of time anyway. We both know that.”

Chaz surveyed him head to toe. “Do we?”

His sharp tone put AJ on edge. Almost like a challenge. Like he had a reason to doubt him.

AJ faced him head on. “Yes. The only mermaids around here are the ones in the Underground Theater.”

The light in Chaz’s eyes, his soft voice creeped AJ out. “Oh, my man, I think we both know that’s wrong.”

For a moment, they stared at one another. AJ’s jaw began to pulse.

Until Chaz smiled, with a knowing smile, a taunting smile. “So I should definitely count you out?”

AJ decided to warn Cassiopeia tonight about this dude. He had to keep her safe, far away from him. “Yes.”

His expression remained pleasant except for the twitch of his eyes.

AJ had to watch Chaz. His every move.

Chapter Fifteen

Darkness could not come fast enough. Days stretched longer before giving over to evening, stealing more time than AJ wanted to allow. He had so little time with Cassie as it was.

He went to the same spot with his guitar, and arranged the blanket in the same spot. He’d come too early. Couples littered the beach, a man jogged by–twice–and a woman walked her yappy dog, its short legs taking forever to move fast enough to take them away down the beach. The tweener girls from the other day walked by in a giggling huddle, then hovered too close as he played his guitar. With a frown, he glanced at them twice. If they came any closer, he would tell them to get lost. Everyone needed to go home, leave him alone.

Maybe the full moon brought everyone out. After the sun sizzled into the sea and the moon floated up like a silver spotlight, a couple walked the shoreline.

At just past ten thirty, finally, her head rose from the water at the end of the rocks.

A thrill went through him. “Cassiopeia.”

With narrowed eyes, she scanned the beach.

He scooted toward her. “I was worried you weren’t going to come.”

“I almost didn’t.” Leaning up on her elbows, she glanced backward at the ocean. “I’m not supposed to be here now.”

“What happened? Did you get in trouble?” She’d mentioned it last night, but at the time, he’d thought it just an excuse. He crouched as close as he could.

“My parents are so controlling.” She sounded like a teenager.

He smoothed her hair from her cheek. She seemed to be about his age, but how old was she really? Maybe they didn’t measure age because they were immortal. Were mer people more strict than humans? “Sorry if I got you in trouble.”

Her smile was sly. “It was worth it.”

The thrill returned with double strength. “Yeah. I hardly slept all night, thinking about you.”

Breathlessly, she said, “Me, too.”

He leaned in and touched his lips to hers. Her warmth surprised him. The sensation of falling tightened his hold on her, as if she were the only thing that could save him.

When she pulled away, her eyes looked sad. “I have to go.”

“No, not yet.” He held strands of her hair.

She held his gaze. “I can’t stay tonight, AJ.”

His only consolation was it seemed to pain her as much as him. “Can you come back tomorrow night?”

“I’ll try.” She kissed him so sweetly, he nearly tumbled into the water when she slipped away from him.

His body trembled with the effort of fighting the urge to follow her. Maybe she really was magical. He felt as if he were under her spell.

Not until he stumbled his way into his bed did AJ realize he’d forgotten to tell her about Chaz.

Tomorrow. He’d tell her tomorrow.

Chapter Sixteen

The day passed quietly. Weeki Wachee Springs drew about half its capacity. Less crowds left AJ feeling exposed as he walked to the Wilderness Cruise, then to lunch and back. He managed to avoid Chaz until the end of the day, as he walked down the hall to the exit.

Even in the dim hallway, the strut was undeniably Chaz. His head thrown back as if ready for a rumble, his smile conspicuously absent. “AJ the lover boy. How’s your love life?”

Without slowing his stride, AJ said, “Fine.”

Chaz paused as he walked by. “Oh, you’re in a hurry. Must have another hot date, eh?”

“Yep.” He pushed open the glass door, not bothering to check whether Chaz followed.

The door clicked shut. AJ breathed a sigh of relief, but tensed when he heard it click open again.

Chaz fell into step with him. “Before you go rushin’ off, you might want to hear what I have to say, my man.”

“Oh Chaz, will you lay off? Leave me alone.”

Chaz pressed closer. “I think you’ll be very interested in what I have to say.”

They rounded the trees at the edge of the parking lot.

Chaz gripped AJ’s neck and forced him behind the dumpster. “You little prick. You thought I wouldn’t find out?” His grip tightened, and he whirled AJ to face him.

Instinct made AJ bring his knee to Chaz’s groin. Chaz doubled over with a loud groan.

AJ pushed him to the ground. “You stay away from me.” He walked away, and his hand shook as he ran it through his hair.

Footsteps thudded behind him, and AJ was thrust to the pavement, Chaz’s fists in his back.

“You’re not double-crossin’ me, you little shit.” Chaz twisted him onto his back, and slammed his head against the blacktop. Anger contorted Chaz’s features into a grisly mask, inches from his face. “I saw you with her. Don’t try to deny it.”

AJ blinked away the sweat. “What?” Oh, God. That explained how his guitar got moved, and his shoe. How could he have been so stupid?

Chaz flicked open his pen knife. “I followed you last night, and the night before. To the beach. I saw her take you out to sea.” He laughed, and a drop of spittle fell on AJ’s cheek. “Man, I thought you were a goner. But she brought you back.” He stared at AJ in wonderment, then anger flashed in his eyes. “You thought you’d cash in on it all by yourself? I don’t think so.” His finger jabbed AJ’s chest. His downturned mouth twitched to a smile. “Tonight, you’re going to see her again, aren’t you?”

AJ didn’t answer. The dude looked like a madman.

Chaz clenched his teeth. “I already know you are. You can’t stay away. I can see it in your eyes. I can hear it in your voice. You tell me everything without even realizing it.” He twisted AJ’s shirt in his fist, held the knife at his throat. “You’re going to tell her to come to the bridge tomorrow night.”

The images springing to AJ’s mind horrified him. Chaz forcing the net around her, threatening her with the knife. Touching her. A surge of anger mixed with his fear.

Chaz’s smile relaxed, recognizing AJ’s fear. “I know you’re crazy about her. I know you won’t be able to stay away from her. So if you don’t tell her tonight to come to the bridge tomorrow night, I will follow you the next night and every night after that until I see you with her again. And then I will aim my scope at her head–so you can watch her die first–and then I’ll take you out of this world, too.” He relaxed his grip. “Then you can be together when you’re both dead chum, floating out in the open sea. Shark food.”

Easing away from AJ, he stood. “So you decide. Just know I’ll be there tonight. Watchin’.” He winked. “I’ll talk to you, after you talk to her.” He aimed a finger at AJ, then pretended to pull the trigger. He walked away laughing.

Shaken, AJ pushed himself up. How his legs held him up, he couldn’t know. He walked aimlessly, block after block. Every possible scenario ran through his head, but every time, it ended with Cassie hurt.

He’d go to his grandfather for advice. But his grandfather would frown, tell him he was a stupid know-nothing, always in trouble. And now he’d dragged a mermaid into the worst dredges of human nature.

He wouldn’t show up tonight. But Chaz would. And he’d catch sight of Cassiopeia and shoot her.

He had to go to the beach, tell her about Chaz, tell her never to return. But then AJ would never see her again. Would he be able to stand it? And what if she came back anyway, and Chaz saw her?

AJ had no doubt Chaz would follow through on his threat.

There was only one choice. Go along. For now.

Chapter Seventeen

Clouds roiled over the ocean as AJ waited. Unable to sit still, he paced along the islet. His nerves jangled in his skin. He should have gone home for his guitar, but he couldn’t face Grandpa. He wasn’t sure he would be able to face Cassiopeia, but he had to. To save her life, he had to lie to her. After he’d taken great care to gain her trust. Chaz was going to destroy it. And AJ could do nothing to stop him.

Yet.

A while ago, the sky spat drops of rain. He’d looked back to see how many people were still on the beach.

Only one.

Chaz.

AJ knew it was him, but he stood there, ominous as a shadow.

Without the light of the moon, Chaz might miss his first shot at Cassie. But he’d sure as hell not miss his second.

Maybe AJ should ask her to take him with her, to her home. He’d never see his guitar again. Or Grandpa. Or his mom.

If only he knew more about where she lived. About her.

He hardly knew her.

All he knew was how amazing it felt to be with her. To feel her next to him. And her voice… he could listen to her sing forever. He closed his eyes, remembering how sweetly she’d sung. Rain pattered his head and arms.

In a slow, sing-song tone, she called, “AJ.”

He snapped his eyes open.

Her giggles mixed with the sound of the raindrops, falling faster now. “You’re as wet as I am.”

“Yeah.” He repressed the urge to look behind him, and the urge to go to her.

“Don’t you like being wet?” She glanced up and down the shore as she moved toward him, then stopped. “There’s someone on the beach. Just standing there, looking this way.”

“I know. He’s been there awhile. It’s not safe.” He stopped short of telling her why. And how he knew for sure.

“And I have permission to stay later tonight.” She knit her brow. “What’s he doing?”

AJ was afraid to look. To see the barrel of a gun pointed their way. “You should go.”

“Why? Do you think he’s seen me?” She lowered herself behind the rocks.

“Yes. Maybe. I don’t know.” He squeezed his eyes shut. “I have a feeling you’re not safe here.”

“Will you come back tomorrow?” Her wide eyes sparkled even in the gloom.

He ached to hold her. Wanted to run from her.

Everything was all wrong.

He heard himself say, “The bridge. Do you know where the bridge is?”

“Where you played your guitar before?”

She’d seen him. The noise he’d heard hadn’t been the turtle. Chaz sensed it that night, too, as if he had mermaid radar.

“Yes.”

A flicker of doubt crossed her face.“Are you all right, AJ?”

“I only want you to be safe. Please go.” Don’t come back.

“All right.” Slowly, she slid back into the water. “I’ll see you tomorrow night.”

He filled his eyes with her, burned her face into his memory. “Yeah.”

Hesitating, she studied his face through the rain.

“Go. Be safe.” As he stood, he turned away from her so she wouldn’t see his guilt.

The outline of Chaz’s figure shone with the wetness on his jacket.

Hate percolated within AJ as he walked closer, but out of earshot. “I will make you pay. Someday soon.” He cut down the beach away from Chaz, who backed into the shadows. AJ looked out over the Gulf, but the choppy waves made it impossible to tell whether she’d left, or whether she watched.

When he crossed the last street to Shoal Line Boulevard, Chaz jogged toward him. “Did you tell her?”

AJ jammed his hands in his pockets so he wouldn’t be tempted to cold-cock Chaz. “Yes.” Looking away, he shivered, though the air was warm.

Chaz shifted into view. “She’s comin’ tomorrow night? To the bridge?”

AJ hunched his shoulders against the rain. “Hey, I told her. Whether she comes or not is her decision.”

Chaz narrowed his eyes and set his jaw. “If you pull anything…”

A myriad of curse words flew to AJ’s mind, but he would save them. AJ pushed past him.

Chaz’s voice echoed after him. “I’ll see you tomorrow, my man.”

Chapter Eighteen

AJ prayed for rain.

Instead, the sun fried the wet parking lot like a sauna. The Wilderness Cruise was as damp as a rainforest jungle.

At the end of the day, Chaz waited at the lockers. “Don’t be late.”

AJ wanted to ask how, exactly, he would go about capturing her. But Chaz left in a hurry. Just as well. The less AJ knew, the better.

Clouds skidded across the sky, hiding and revealing the moon, but not long enough to provide the cover AJ needed. He strummed his guitar on the bridge, wanting to lose his thoughts in a song, but lost track of the lyrics. Every song was a broken melody.

Chaz’s truck sat in the same spot as last time, but where he was, AJ couldn’t tell. The canal and its banks were silent, giving away nothing.

 Even AJ’s fingers wouldn’t cooperate. Time and time again, he plucked a sequence of notes that wouldn’t gel into the right tune. With nerves so tight, it was no wonder, but frustration welled within him. “Ah, dammit!”

“AJ?” A sweet voice echoed from below.

Oh God. Cassiopeia, right there in the canal. It struck him then, that the canal wasn’t deep enough for her to escape the net Chaz would cast.

He wiped his palm against his jeans. “Hey.”

“What are you doing up there?” She sounded amused, as if he expected her to climb up.

“Oh.” He glanced around, as if uncertain. But he knew why. Chaz told him to stand here. To lure her closer. “I’ll come down.” To distract her.

When Chaz had given the order as they climbed out of the truck earlier, he’d patted his rifle to reinforce it. The same gun he now held, probably pointed at his head as AJ slid down the embankment.

As she lifted herself up the grassy bank, she spotted the truck. “Is that yours?”

“What?” He knew his movements were too stiff, his answers too scattered. Like his thoughts. “Um, yes. That’s mine.” Why did he say such a thing? If she thought it was his, she’d feel too safe, wouldn’t be looking out for anyone else. “I mean, I came here in it.”

She smiled. “You left your guitar.”

“Oh.” He glanced up at the bridge. Of course he did. He wanted it out of harm’s way. “Should I go get it?”

“Yes.” She pulled herself high on the bank. “I’m glad you thought of this. It is much more comfortable than those rocks.”

His stomach churned. Comfortable. She wouldn’t think so in a few minutes. “I’ll be right back.”

No sooner had he begun to climb the hill, footsteps thudded close, and she gasped.

Chaz threw the net around her. “Don’t move.”

With a squeal, she pushed against the roped net, her tail flailing.

“I said don’t move.” Chaz waved the knife.

Horrified, AJ stood watching. What had he done? Oh, God, Chaz was crazy.

Chaz glared at him. “Get over here and help me.”

AJ felt her eyes follow him as his feet slid down the incline moved closer.

As Chaz pulled the net tighter, she struggled. “Hold still, I said.”

AJ rushed him. “No, I can’t let you do this.”

With a thrust of the rifle butt to AJ’s shoulder, Chaz knocked him to the ground, then pointed the barrel at him. “You move, and I’ll shoot you both. I’m done playin’ around.”

AJ and Cassiopeia stilled.

Thrusting his foot at her tail, Chaz shoved her away from the water. “Now you get over here and lift her head, and I’ll lift her tail. We’re goin’ to put her in the back of the truck. And make it quick.”

The rifle followed AJ’s movements. He grasped her beneath her shoulders. “I’m sorry.”

She hissed, “Don’t speak to me.”

Chaz slid the knife into his belt buckle and the rifle beneath his arm. He bent toward her tail. With a quick thwack, the mermaid thrust it up, knocking Chaz down. The rifle discharged, and AJ threw himself atop her.

Her hands pushed at the net. “Get off me. Get me out of this.”

“Sonofabitch.” Chaz jumped to his feet, weapon in hand. “You try anythin’ like that again, you’ll both die quicker than…” He stammered, searching for the right metaphor. “You’ll both die.” He walked to AJ. “We have to hurry now, before someone comes. You take the tail.”

When AJ had positioned himself, Chaz said, “Now.”

Both struggled to lift her high enough to get her into the truck bed. Cassie remained still as a statue. AJ hoped the metal rings didn’t burn her. If metal guitar strings stung her fingers, the net must hurt. He regretted he’d never asked how, exactly.

With her torso propped against the lowered truck gate, Chaz leapt into the truck bed and dragged her the rest of the way, grunting with her weight.

 “A little too much seafood, honey?” Chaz laughed as he slammed the gate shut.

“She’s very muscular.” Immediately, AJ regretted saying it. Now Chaz would be more careful.

“Yeah. No kiddin’.” He squatted and rubbed his chest, where her tail had landed. “You drive. I’ll ride in back with her.”

AJ looked at the net, but couldn’t see her face.

“Move it.” Chaz scanned the bridge and the canal banks. If anyone heard the shot, maybe they thought a vehicle had backfired.

AJ got in and moved the seat back to accommodate his longer legs.

Chaz slid the rear window open. “Get movin’.”

He yelled directions as they rode down the highway. AJ’s hands gripped the wheel, imagining Chaz’s hands wandering. She wouldn’t be able to stop him, if he had the knife pointed at her. She was headstrong enough to try, though. He glanced in the rearview mirror every other second, praying neither would move.

Maybe he could cause the truck to tilt, to tip Chaz out. But Cassiopeia might fall out first. She had no way to hold on, and Chaz did. And the gun might go off accidentally again.

Chaz’s voice came through the back window. “Turn right at the next lane.”

AJ nearly missed it. With no marker and no street light, it appeared as a black space between dense trees. The truck bounced down the unpaved road to a trailer set in a tight clearing.

“Pull around back,” Chaz said.

The headlights showed an above-ground pool in a small opening between the trees.

Clever. Anyone flying overhead wouldn’t be able to spot it.

AJ wondered what other precautions Chaz had made.

“Back it up to the pool. Pull in there and turn around.”

As AJ did so, spotlights shone on the truck.

Motion detector lights.

Chaz moved to the back of the truck bed. “A little more… little more. All right, whoa, whoa whoa. Right here.”

AJ killed the engine.

Footsteps tromped across the truck bed. Chaz’s hand came through the back window. “Keys.” The dude wasn’t going to cut him any slack.

AJ pulled the key from the ignition and dropped them into his palm.

As he stood, rifle in hand, Chaz said, “Help me get her in the pool.” He jumped out and unlatched the truck gate. It fell with a clang against the pool. “Let’s go. Help me slide her in.”

AJ rested his hands on his hips. “Take the net off first.”

Chaz fixed his gaze on him. “No, I’ll take the net off in the water.”

“Do you really want to get in the water with her? Where she’ll have the advantage?” Again, he should have kept his mouth shut. But as much as Chaz deserved to be drowned, AJ couldn’t let it happen. He’d think of another way to free her.

After a tense moment, Chaz gave a nod. “You do it. I’ll supervise.”

Swinging his foot onto the gate, AJ hoisted himself up. He crouched next to her, looking for the ends of the net. He murmured, “Are you all right?”

Chaz shouldered the rifle. “No conversin’ between the two of youse. Just take the net off.”

“I’m trying, but I can’t find the opening.” The net twisted in knots, caught on the metal rings. “We need to cut it off.”

“Any place you cut it, you’ll have to mend it.” He laid the knife on the edge of the truck, then pointed the rifle at him. “And don’t try anythin’.”

AJ slid the knife from the ledge. Cassie squealed.

“Hold still and it’ll be fine. I won’t hurt you.” Under his breath, he added, “You know that.”

He scoured the net for a place that might loosen more than one tangle. There wasn’t one.  She tensed as he moved the knife against the rope.

“I’ll be done as soon as I can.” He glanced at her rope-covered head. The ends of her hair twined around the rope. “Maybe you could work your hair loose. I don’t want to have to cut it.”

Something like a hiss came from her. The net rippled as her hands moved beneath it. Her hair slipped inside, strand by strand, as AJ worked a straight line free, upwards from her tail.

“Can you slide down through this?” He stretched the opening wide.

Her tail fluttered through, and she inched her way out until she sat at the edge of the gate.

Chaz’s eyes blazed as he looked her over. “Nice.”

AJ pointed at him. “Shut up, man. You touch her, and…”

“And what?” Chaz held the rifle to his chest with a smirk.

There was nothing to be done. AJ stepped behind her helplessly. “Do you need help getting in?”

She opened her mouth and narrowed her eyes as she looked up at him with pure hatred.

With a flip of her tail, she went underwater, then burst through the surface, gasping.

In two long steps, he leaned over the edge. “Are you all right?”

Her nostrils flared, she slipped beneath and circled the edge of the pool, faster and faster until a downward cone of water formed at the center.

Chaz walked over and laid an elbow on the side. “She’s pissed.” He laughed.

Her tail came out of the water and landed against the side of Chaz’s head. The smack knocked him backward to the ground.

Groaning, he held his head, shook it and sat up. He reached for his rifle and jumped up. “I’ll kill that fish bitch.”

AJ jumped from the truck. “No.” He shoved the gun barrel to the sky as it went off. “What are you, crazy?” He trembled as the shot echoed in his head.

Chaz yanked the gun away. Even in this dim light, half of his face appeared red from her slap.

AJ thought fast. “After all this hard work getting her here?”

His chest heaving, Chaz glared at him, then at the pool. “It better be the last time.” He marched to the truck. “I’m pulling this around front. I’ll be right back.”

Too late, AJ remembered the knife. He’d left it in the back of the truck. “Shit.”

The truck rounded the trailer.

He ran a hand through his hair, trying to sort his thoughts. He had to make her understand the danger he faced–they both faced. He had to tell her how sorry he was. Had to devise a plan to get her out. To keep Chaz away.

In the pool, Cassiopeia still circled its circumference, but slower.

AJ ran to the pool and leaned over. “Hey. Come up, listen to me. Quick, before he comes back.”

She rushed to the side, burst up in his face and grabbed his arms tight, but didn’t pull him in. Her brows knit, her eyes were like green flame.

He talked fast. “I don’t blame you for hating me. But he said he’d kill us both. He found out about you and—”

With a cry, she released him and swam away.

A light winked on inside the trailer.

“Cassie, come back. Quick. Let me explain.”

 A sound came from underwater, like garbled speech.

He could only imagine what she said. His insides ached, knowing the pain she must be in. Leaning his elbows against the top, he stood at the pool and watched her. How long could she swim in circles? With her muscles, probably a long time.

Not speak to him? Probably forever.

He couldn’t blame her. But he’d find a way to get her out of here, get her back to the Gulf, and maybe, just maybe, she’d forgive him. Someday.

A jaundiced light came on by the back door of the trailer. A creak, then a slam, and Chaz walked down the three crooked steps. “Time for you to go, my man.” He held his gun in one hand, a beer in the other. The knife stuck through his belt.

“Go? How? You expect me to walk? It’s got to be five miles back to town.”

“Oh, you’re so smart. Five and a half. If you start walkin’ now, you’ll be home in time for beddy-bye.”

As if AJ hadn’t checked the odometer. “I’m not leaving you alone with her.”

Chaz chuckled. “I won’t hurt your girlfriend. If she cooperates.”

“She’s not my girlfriend.” AJ had to play both sides of the fence. She was already mad at him. She’d have to understand. Later. “I got close to her so we could go through with the plan. Like you wanted.”

Chaz drew in his chin and clucked his tongue. “You ain’t a very good liar, my man.”

AJ mimicked Chaz’s mobster tone. “How else was I supposed to do it? I made her think I liked her so we could get her here.”

“You’re so full of it.” Chaz chuckled as he walked toward the trailer.

“You think I could be interested in a fish? I’m no freak.” Like you, he wanted to add.

The pool became still.

Cold and calculating, Chaz narrowed his eyes as he glanced back. “Careful, or she’ll let you have it next.”

AJ moved away from the pool. After what he’d said, she might drag him below and drown him. “What are you going to feed her?”

“Beats me. What does she like?”

Chaz carried the rifle expertly, ready to shoot.

“How should I know?” AJ kept the shame from his voice. He didn’t know. He knew none of the important details. Only how she made him feel. Not how she felt. Or what she liked. Or what her life was like, every day, deep beneath the ocean.

He needed time, so much more time, to get to know everything about her.

Chaz teased, “Oh right. You’re not her boyfriend, so you never asked.”

“Exactly.” AJ glanced at the pool. The water was too calm.

Chaz paused at the steps outside the trailer door. “I think I’ll let her get hungry. She’ll be easier to work with then.”

AJ strode toward him. “You can’t starve her.”

A smile twitched across Chaz’s face. “I’m not going to starve her. Much.”

AJ set his hands on his hips. “I think I should stay here tonight.”

“I said you’re leaving. And I have the gun, so I win.” Chaz waved the rifle at him.

“You’re not cutting me out of this.” AJ didn’t even know what he was saying, but he kept talking as an excuse to stay.

His tone matter of fact, Chaz said, “No. I need you so I can train her. But you’re goin’ home tonight.”

Not a ripple in the surface of the pool. What was she doing? God, she must hate him.

“Nighty night.” Chaz jerked his head, stepped to the door and paused. “Oh, and you should walk straight down the lane. Don’t cut through the trees.”

“Why?”

Chaz smiled. “Just take my advice for once.”

Booby traps. Had to be. The dude might be brainless, but he was shrewd.

AJ drew a ragged breath. “You better be at work tomorrow. And I’m coming back here with you.” He walked around the trailer, stopped and looked back.

Chaz’s voice floated over the treetops. “Keep walkin’.”

The click of the rifle forced his retreat down the black lane.

Chapter Nineteen

Footlights along the bridge showed the top of his guitar case. As AJ approached, the slender neck of his guitar still leaned out of the case, as if beckoning him to lift it. He fought against the tears that sprung to his eyes. After losing Cassie, to lose his guitar would have seemed like the end of all hope. He latched the case shut and walked home.

AJ fell onto his bed, too exhausted–mentally and physically–to take off his shoes or anything else. Grateful for the comfort of his bed, but tonight would be torture, knowing Cassiopeia was away from her home, trapped in Chaz’s manmade hell. If she’d felt confined in the ocean, he could only imagine how claustrophobic that tiny pool must make her feel. And terrified.

What was he going to do? He had to make this right. How could he get her away from Chaz, the madman?

The light flicked on, and Grandpa stood in the doorway. “Do you realize how late it is?”

AJ flinched and shielded his eyes with his forearm.

Sleep fled his grandfather’s face as his keen gaze swept over AJ. “What kind of trouble are you in?”

The concern in Grandpa’s voice made AJ want to blubber and fall into his arms. He pushed himself up. “It’s not me.” His voice sounded as ragged as his nerves.

Grandpa narrowed his eyes. “It’s that scumbag, isn’t it. Chaz.”

“He took something from me.” AJ held back his tears. “Someone.”

His grandfather sat on the bed. “What do you mean, someone?”

AJ’s hands clenched into fists atop his knees. “The girl I told you about.”

In amazement, Grandpa shifted to face him. “He kidnapped her?”

How could he explain this? But Grandpa, of all people, wouldn’t doubt him.

AJ steadied his voice and looked his grandfather in the eye. “She’s a mermaid, Grandpa.”

“What?” Grandpa’s face contorted with shock.

AJ shouldn’t have told him. The old man looked ready to have a stroke.

“That day on the river. It wasn’t a girl pretending to be a mermaid. She was a mermaid. She saved me from the alligator. I met her at the beach later, and…”  He couldn’t tell the whole story. He closed his eyes and held his head in his hands.

Maybe Grandpa thought he was pulling his leg. Pulling a fast one. AJ could feel the heavy weight of his stare.

AJ clenched his teeth. “I have to get her away from him. He wants to train her. To make her into a freak show. Then he’s going to try to sell her to Sea World, or whoever will buy her first.” His voice rose as he spoke. Unable to sit still, AJ stood. He wanted to hit something, pound it into bits. “God knows what he’ll do to her. He’s insane, Grandpa. He already threatened to shoot us. And he has a knife.” He trembled as the night’s events replayed in his head. “I’m afraid for her. I have to save her.” He turned and met his grandfather’s gaze. “What can I do? Can you help me?”

Grandpa rested his hands on his knees, his face a craggy scowl as he stared out at nothing. “I don’t know.”

AJ sat beside him. His grandfather was too quiet. Something was wrong. “But you know about mermaids. You met one, you said so yourself. You—”

“Yes. I met one.” His grandfather’s cold gaze stopped his rant. He turned to AJ. “For a long time, son, I’ve wrestled with how to tell you.”

“Tell me what?” His grandfather only called him son when it involved something big. Or he was trying to talk him into something he didn’t want to do.

Grandpa let out a heavy breath, apparently struggling for words–a first. It must be something huge.

“Tell me what?” AJ repeated insistently.

“The mermaid I met.” His grandfather leveled his steady gaze on him. “She was your grandmother.”

It felt as if Grandpa had sucker-punched him. AJ could hardly breathe. “What? Grandma? She was the… the one you…” All the oxygen seemed to have been sucked from the room. He bent over, his head reeling.

His eyes like glass, Grandpa recited the tale as if in a trance. “Yes. The one I told you about. I fell in love with her, and she gave up her family for me. Her world. To have our own family.” His grandfather’s face looked as hard as a statue. This was no joke.

“Grandma was a…” AJ’s stomach twisted. Maybe he’d fallen asleep, and this was some crazy nightmare. Or maybe Chaz had drugged him. “So what does that make Mom?”

With a single nod, he said, “The daughter of a mermaid.” As if it were a logical conclusion. Tonight, no logic existed. All the boundaries had shifted. Nothing, and no one, were as they seemed.

AJ couldn’t string two thoughts together. “But how… no one ever… Mom never said…”

Grandpa exhaled. “She doesn’t know.”

“You never told her?” Incredulous, AJ ran a hand through his hair. “Wait, what does that make me?”

“One quarter merman.” The way he said it, AJ suspected his grandfather had mentally prepped himself for this moment. No one could just churn out sensible responses to life-changing questions with such clarity.

“Holy shit.” Life had rocketed from normal to bizarro in less than one minute. Shaking, AJ paced and rubbed his arms.

Grandpa went on as casually as if they were discussing the weather. “Oh, I don’t believe you have any special gifts from… her side of the family. None I’ve seen, anyway. Except for your good looks, and apparent gift for charming the ladies.”

Oh, well. That made all the difference, he wanted to say. No special gifts except attracting girls. Just a certain affinity for mer people. Was that why Cassiopeia was drawn to him? Could she have sensed it?

Too many questions crowded AJ’s head, all struggling to be first. He stammered, “You’re going to have to talk me through this. It’s all… too much.”

His grandfather’s cool demeanor freaked him out more. “I’ll answer what I can.”

A tremor went through AJ. “OK. So is that how Grandma died? Because she couldn’t live on land for long?” He couldn’t let that happen to Cassiopeia.

His grandfather’s gaze slid to his. “She didn’t die. She left me.”

Stunned, AJ had to sit. Otherwise his legs might give out. “You should warn me before throwing any more curve balls my way.”

“I’m sorry, son. I know it’s a lot to take in at once.”

AJ blew through his lips. “Yeah. A bit much.”

Grandpa continued his tale. He told it as he might tell any story, over a beer, detached, as if it had happened to someone else. As if his life hadn’t been ruined by it all. “When I was young, I had somewhat of a reputation as a ladies’ man. After I met your grandmother, of course, I didn’t want anyone else. She was spectacular, the most incredible and desirous female on earth.”

AJ could relate. Cassiopeia had the same effect on him.

“Women still flirted with me. I couldn’t help that. And I… may have flirted a little too. Out of habit.” Grandpa raised his voice insistently. “But nothing ever happened.”

AJ believed him. He knew his grandfather’s whole world had been built around Grandma. When she left, that world fell apart. The photos of Grandpa smiling were the only proof his grandfather had ever been happy. “But Grandma thought you cheated?”

The agony in his grandfather’s voice was unmistakable. “Yes. She found me with someone. The stupid woman was drunk, hanging on me. I was only helping her to get home. But I couldn’t reason with your grandmother. She left your mother and me. Ran back to the sea.” His voice became small. “They took her back.”

This was way too much. His hands over his eyes, AJ fell back on the bed. “All this time…” He leaned on his elbows. “Does mom know she’s alive?”

Grandpa’s shoulders slumped. “No.”

“Oh, man.” No wonder his mom was so screwed up. She didn’t even know who–or what–her own mother was. What she was.

His grandfather stood. “I need a beer. You?”

“Oh, yeah. More than one.” AJ followed him to the kitchen, then onto the patio. The breeze from the ocean helped untangle his thoughts.

With a grunt, his grandfather sat on the glider. His unfocused gaze wandered.

AJ’s nerves jangled. He was either on the verge of collapse, or he should run another few miles until his legs gave out. That might be the only way he’d sleep tonight. His legs carried him back and forth across the patio.

The sea breeze washed over his face, reminding him where Cassie should be. “You have to help me.”

His grandfather lit the candle on the table in front of him, picked up a half-finished mermaid carving, set it back down.

AJ sat beside him. “I’ve never felt this way about anyone.”

Grandpa’s face softened. “Oh, you lost your head. And your heart.” He grunted. “To a mermaid, of all things.”

“If anything happens to her…” Tears stung his eyes. AJ bit his lip.

His grandfather studied him. “Let me think on it.” He grasped AJ’s knee. “Between the two of us, we’ll come up with something.”

“Thank you.” AJ released a ragged breath.

Grandpa scowled. “But I’ll warn you now. Don’t let it go any further with her. Unless you want your heart ripped from your chest. People should never get involved with the mers.”

They drank together, each immersed in his own thoughts. The waves washed ashore, one after the other. AJ imagined his grandfather sitting out here, night after night, listening to that sound. Wondering if those waves would ever bring her home again.

“Did you ever try to get her back?” AJ asked.

“Oh yes. I brought your mother to the beach every day for a month, to our special spot. Thought I could appeal to her maternal sense of duty, if nothing else.” He grunted a laugh. “I used to have a boat, you know. A very nice boat. That’s how I met her. I’d dropped anchor. She heard me singing, and came to listen.” His eyes grew moist as he stared at the candle.

“What happened to the boat?” AJ had never even seen a photograph of it.

Grandpa set his jaw. “After she left, I went looking for her. Day after day, calling for her out on the water. A whole swarm of them surrounded me. They were angry because of what they thought I’d done. I demanded to speak with her and refused to leave. I thought if I made a stand, she’d have to come back to me.”

Scarcely able to blink, he asked, “What happened?”

“The mers surrounded the boat. They swam so fast, they stirred up a whirlpool that nearly took me away.”

AJ could believe it. If Cassiopeia could make a whirlpool by herself, a group of mer people could easily bring a boat down.

“How did you get away?”

“She came. I was foolish enough to think she came for me, but she stopped them. Made them leave. She stayed until the boat righted itself, then told me to go away. So I went home. And I never went back.” He drank. “I got rid of the boat. I had to. It would have killed me, and then your mother would have had no one.” The steely resignation in his grandfather’s face said everything. He could almost see his grandfather watching the boat towed away by a stranger until it faded into the distance, his last hope fading with it.

AJ stared out toward the Gulf. An entire world existed beneath the surface of the sea, a world where some of his relatives lived a strange existence, completely foreign. “I had no idea.”

Grandpa chuckled. “Why would you? Except for hundreds of these. But any raving lunatic can carve a mermaid. Eh?”

The thought of Cassiopeia in Chaz’s pool made him clench his fists. “I have to get her away from him.”

His grandfather grasped his shoulder. “The boy is a buffoon. We’ll outsmart him.”

Grandpa’s confidence wasn’t so contagious now. With a cruel clarity, AJ saw Chaz holding the knife to Cassiopeia’s heart. “He’s mean. And greedy.”

“And devious. So we’ll have to be even more devious.” Grandpa’s smile was the first thing that gave AJ any glimmer of hope.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.1K 356 26
Imagine and preferences
32.5K 797 15
Gxg imagines of ReneΓ© and her characters!
54 12 12
#ONC2022