A Different Kind of Purgatory...

By Silmarilz1701

Sequel to "A Different Kind of Heaven," but takes place thirty-six Valian Years later (340+ Earth years). Top... More

A Different Kind of Purgatory
Prologue: Born to be a King
Chapter 1: The Good Life
Chapter 2: Late Nights
Chapter 3: The End of the Beginning
Chapter 4: Niquelírë
Chapter 5: Catalyst
Chapter 7: A New Design
Chapter 8: Beyond the Mysterious Beyond
Chapter 9: Training
Chapter 10: Celestial Song
Chapter 11: The Other House
Chapter 12: Familial Bonds
Chapter 13: Revelations
Chapter 14: A Promise
Chapter 15: Itarillë
Chapter 16: Schisms
Chapter 17: Punishment
Chapter 18: A Long Foreboden Party
Chapter 19: The Darkening
Chapter 20: The Beginning of the End

Chapter 6: Rings

718 53 90
By Silmarilz1701

Author's Note 1: Been awhile friends. Some of you may be aware, but I've been struggling with extremely painful back and neck issues. This in turn has kept me from updating pretty much everything and made it very hard to write in general. But I am beyond thrilled to bring you this tonight.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

1410

Years of the Trees

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

“Amarië!” Eve hissed as the elf maiden tightened her dress. “Ow!”

But Amarië merely shook her head. “Really, Eve. You must know by now that it takes more than an hour to prepare for a wedding!” She continued to tie the laces of her redheaded friend’s dress. “Especially when you’re courting Finno. That’s a big deal!”

Eve smirked and turned her head back to face Amarië. “What about courting Findo? He’s the eldest in his family.”

“Don’t believe rumors. We are not courting.” Amarië rolled her eyes at Eve’s skepticism. “My goodness, Eve! Don’t look at me like that.”

Elenwë nearly cackled from where she had just entered the room. Her olive and golden dress wrapped around her flatteringly, and the golden floral hair piece stood out even on her own golden hair. But as she walked in, she pointed at both elves and shook her head. “You might as well be courting Findo!” Before Amarië could protest, Elenwë turned to Eve. “And you, my dear! The wedding is starting in half an hour! Hurry up!”

“How does Eldalótë look?” Amarië asked as she finished Eve’s ties.

Elenwë shook her head. “You’ll have to wait to see for yourself. But it certainly is fit for a marriage to a prince!”

Eve stepped away from Amarie and over to a full length mirror. A smile settled on her features as she saw the reflection before her. The dress resembled a raging fire; deep crimson, shining scarlet, and blazing gold intertwined throughout the many ruffled layers. In her auburn hair sat a large crown braid and in the design, seven sparkling gold and ruby accent pieces.

“Stop admiring yourself and get your shoes on,” Elenwë chastised her, amusement obvious in her voice. “We need to find the lords and get to the Palace Gardens!”

“Right.” Eve turned to Amarië as she slipped into her red flats. “I always love you in light pink.”

She grinned back, settling her own gown. The top started in a soft off white before fading into pale pink. The dress seemed to be crafted of thousands of lace flowers and swept the ground just enough to cover Amarië’s feet.

“Get going,” Elenwë insisted, pushing both maidens out the door of their house.

Eve wandered into the street and turned back to Elenwë. “Where are we meeting the others?”

“At Finno and Aro’s place,” replied Elenwë.

Eve grinned as they started down the road. “Good! That’s not far.”

It didn’t take them long at all. The three women arrived at the large house Finno lived in with his youngest brother Arakáno. Finno, Findo, Aro, and Turvo were waiting outside in their finest attire.

Aro announced their arrival. “Look who all finally decided to show up.” He gestured to the maidens as they walked up the path to the house. “Took long enough.”

“Blame the lovely Elmendë for that,” said Elenwë with a wink. She walked to her husband and stood tall to kiss him. “I do my best, but I can only do so much to keep her in line.”

Finno chuckled at them and stood from where he sat beside Findo on their porch swing. He walked over and took Eve’s hand, giving her a spin. “She looks wonderful. You clearly work well together.”

“Thanks,” Eve replied quickly with a laugh. “You clean up well yourself, sir.”

He straightened his royal blue layered tunic, the front of which reached half way down his thighs while the back went lower. Holding his arms out, he gave a cocky bow. “I do look good don’t I.”

“Careful. Without Nelyo here it’s going to be my job to keep you in check,” Findo teased him quickly.

Aro joined in. “Or mine. I do quite enjoy cutting my brother down a peg!”

Turvo smirked. “Much further and he’ll be shorter than Irisse.”

“Hilarious,” muttered Finno.

“Speaking of Iri, where are she and Artanis?” Eve looked around as if expecting them to appear at any moment. “They have to come!”

Findo chuckled at her. “Yes, but they are already there!”

“Are they bringing anyone?” asked Amarië.

Finno snorted. “Iri joked she wanted to bring Tyelko, just to stir things up. I shut that down right quick.”

“And Nis declared that she didn’t need to be accompanied by a man,” Findo added.

Eve rolled her eyes. “How about Aiko?”

“He’s not courting anyone at the moment, and I don’t think he invited anyone,” Findo replied. “He’s helping Ango out at his house.”

Turvo and Elenwë shook their heads. The former, clothed in long robes, pushed his older brother forward. “Let us be off! Or else we’ll be late, and Grandfather will not forgive us easily.”

They agreed, hurrying after Turvo and Elenwë. The walk to the palace at Tirion didn’t take very long, and it being spring, the walk was pleasant. Fallen white, pink, and soft blue flower petals blew through the gentle breeze. A steady scent of nectar and oranges seemed to permeate the air perpetually.

Soon the party came upon Galathilion and the statues of Tata and Tatië in the Great Square. To no one’s surprise, the court stood mostly empty but for a few meandering elves. With spring in full bloom, most elves enjoyed holidays away from the city out in the countryside.

Upon entering the palace grounds, they turned left to the gardens. A large space of short, soft grass created the perfect location for the wedding. Most of the family was there already including the Falmari side represented by Nendil and Telepso, Eärwen’s brothers. Eve caught sight of Artanis chatting with her Falmari uncles while Irisse seemed to be mingling with her mother, father, and Irime. Finwë, Indis, and Findis chatted by the food.

Eldalótë’s parents, Aston and Wistiel, hovered over by another food table with Arafinwë and Eärwen. They seemed deep in a humorous conversation which was broken only by the chiming of gentle bells. King Finwë gestured for them all to come together as Angaráto and Aikanáro came round the corner into the gardens. Ango, the groom to be, wore a deep grey tunic with golden clasps up the front and black shiny boots. His light golden hair gently fell about his shoulders. His silver circlet adorned his head.

“Who’s helping Eldalótë?” Eve asked in a hushed whisper to Finno as they stood together.

He shrugged. “Probably her friend Yúlanis. They’re close.”

Turvo elbowed Finno in the ribs. The two of them shut their mouths as Finwë went to speak. He cleared his throat and smiled.

“Lords and ladies, it is my great pleasure to announce that today we gather to witness the joining of Prince Angaráto and Lady Eldalótë.” He gestured for his grandson to come forward. He did so. Finwë smiled over his head as he caught sight of the bride.

Eve gasped as she saw the dress the woman had chosen. White and light grey, it faded from one color to the next and every greyscale shade in between. A belt of white glittered with diamonds. She walked forward and joined Ango before Finwë.

The groom smiled like Eve only saw him smile around Eldalótë Nothing else seemed to bring him the joy his beloved did. They took hands. Both turned to Finwë.

“As is customary, now that your betrothal has ended and a new era in your lives begins, you may return your rings.” Finwë gestured to them.

Eldalótë removed hers first, followed by Ango. They exchanged them. Next, Arafinwë and Wistiel came forward. Arafinwë stood to the right of his son while Wistiel to the right of her daughter. Finwë continued.

“Lord Arafinwë.”

The golden haired son of Finwë smiled and took from a small silver pouch a massive pearlescent and ebony pin. He stepped to Eldalótë and put it on her dress. Something quiet was said between them and she chuckled as he stepped away.

“Lady Wistiel.”

The dark haired woman stepped to Angaráto and smiled warmly. She also told him something that made him crack a smile as she took out and pinned on his chest a beautiful pin of rubies, silver, and gold. Then she stepped away.

“Angaráto, do you promise to keep Eldalótë in your protection with everlasting love?”

He nodded. “By the grace of Ilúvatar it shall be done.” He slipped a simple golden ring onto her right index finger.

“Eldalótë, do you promise to keep Angaráto in your protection with everlasting love?”

“By the grace of Ilúvatar, it shall be done.” She squeezed her beloved’s hand before exchanging the ring.

Finwë smiled. “May Ilúvatar bring you prosperity and peace.”

The couple kissed and Eve squeezed Finno’s hand involuntarily. Beside him, the others lightly clapped as they broke apart and the party began. The newlyweds joined their families for hugs, and Findo and Amarië broke away to greet his brother first.

Finno, Eve, Turvo, Elenwë, and Aro hung back to allow the immediate family privacy for a few minutes. Irissë wandered over soon enough and shouldered Eve lightly.

“Been awhile!” she chuckled at Eve’s indignant reaction.

Eve shook her head. “And whose fault is that, Iri. You spend all your time with Hrávien, Tyelko, and the Hunters!”

“All the time I’m allowed,” she moaned. “After all, neither my father nor yours quite approve of my friendship with Tyelkormo. They’d rather I be treating with nobles alongside Findis and Irímë.”

Finno laughed at the disgust on her face. “Would that be so bad?”

Irissë scowled at him and her other two brothers as they joined in snickering. “Would you ask Nis to do the same?”

“She spends her time between parties and horse racing,” Turvo replied immediately. “Only you have decided hunting will be your favorite past time. And you spend far too much time with Curufinwë for my liking.”

“Oh please,” protested Irisse. She threw her hands in the air and then onto her hips. “You disapprove of everything have to do with the House of Fëanáro.”

Eve shuffled where she stood, her smile gone. “That’s not true.”

“Besides Nelyo and Kano, do you even associate with them as family?” Iri glared at Turvo. “Tell me truly brother.”

“Iri,” Finno warned immediately. “Drop it.”

“He’s as bad as our father,” she added quickly, spinning to face her eldest brother.

Eve shuffled where she stood. “Irissë, to be fair, my brothers have their flaws-”

“As do ours!” Iri gestured to herself and a Nis who stood with her brothers. “It was Ango’s decision alongside our own father that decided to exclude your entire house from this ceremony! A ceremony representing family!”

“Iri!” Finno willed her to stop. He sent her a message telepathically that got her to be quiet. Everyone else seemed to quiet down as well, as if aware of the unspoken argument though they could not know exactly what was spoken.

She locked eyes with her elder brother before walking away to get a glass of wine. Findo came wandering over with Amarië and he looked at them strangely.

“What was that about?” He raised an eyebrow as they shuffled in place.

Eve shook her head with a tight smile. “Nothing!”

Findo shrugged and told them Ango was looking forward to seeing them. They went over, talked with the bride and groom for a while, before they bid farewell. Most of the cousins left then, Artanis and Irissë heading somewhere with Aikanáro. Amarië and Elenwë slipped away soon after. Finno, Turvo, and Aro were called by their father with important instructions leaving Eve to herself. She decided to go find her brothers.

Telperion’s silver light illuminated her path to the house that Nelyo, Káno, and Moryo shared. It began to lightly rain as she approached their home, and she couldn’t help but feel the shower reflected the pit in her stomach.

A few candles burned in the windows of their stone house. She had changed out of her fancy dress earlier and now wore but a simple black gown. Thankfully, she thought, the rain hadn’t had a chance to hurt her party dress. Eve walked up to the door and knocked.

Moryo answered it. His black hair hung half way down his chest and he looked at her bedraggled form in surprise. “Eve!”

“Hey Moryo,” replied Eve. “Can I come in?”

“Of course.” He opened the door further and she stepped inside.

Eve wandered in after wringing out her hair on the porch. When she went into their sitting room she found a blazing fire and a book lying open on the couch. A plate with cookies that had been nibbled on sat on a side table.

“Are Nelyo and Kano here?” She sat down in a chair across from Moryo who took the couch.

He shook his head. “Not at the moment. I think they will be back soon. Our father required them for something in the forge.”

She walked over to the bookshelf and took off a leather bound poetry book. It contained selections from masters of all three kindreds. Eve settled down to wait for the others.

Moryo retired to his room sometime later. Eve stayed there, as the rain had increased and she had no intention of walking home while it poured. When Nelyo and Kano burst in several hours later, she looked up in surprise.

“Eve!” Káno gave a surprised laugh. “We did not expect to see you tonight.”

Nelyo hung his cape up. “We assumed you'd be out partying with the other half of this family.”

With a frown, she shook her head. “I missed you guys. I wish you'd been there.”

Káno sighed and walked over to where his harp sat. Picking it up he settled on the couch. “We are not welcome.”

“Ango makes that quite clear,” reminded Nelyo as he joined them.

Eve shrugged. “To be fair,” she said lowering her voice, “the rest of you insist on being difficult.” She took a cookie that Nelyo offered her before continuing. “Still, Iri was fairly upset about Tyelko and Curvo being omitted.”

“Nice of her to care,” Nelyo replied, “but Nolofinwë will never accept us.”

“Not while our father refuses to accept Indis,” Káno reminded him.

Nelyo rolled his eyes. Eve however did not feel amused. She frowned and looked out the window as Káno began to strum his lyre. As he began to sing, Nelyo gestured for her to join in. She shot him an exasperated expression. But she relented with a scoff.

She began to sing with Káno, lightly at first before she caught the familiar melody. After about ten minutes it petered out into just the instrumental.

Eve sighed. “How’s Tyelko been?”

Káno faltered momentarily. After starting his music back up he shrugged and responded. “He spends all his time with the Hunters. They've been busy.”

“He's always with them,” Eve complained. “What are they doing?”

With a frown, Nelyo responded to her, “I don't know. Irissë might. She sees him when he's with the Hunters.”

“Or the Ambarussa,” added Káno.

Eve nodded. Letting her hair out of the braid, she ran her hands through it absentmindedly. Something didn't sit right. For the past five or so years Tyelko had grown more and more distant from Tirion and his family. It also didn't help matters that Fëanáro seemed to become more impatient with the world around him by the day.

“How was the ceremony?” Nelyo finally asked a while later.

Eve smiled. “It went well! I still can't believe Findo and Amarië refuse to admit they're courting, though.”

Káno exchanged smirks with his brother. “They never will. Even if Nelyo keeps hounding them.”

“I will focus my efforts on you and Elemmírë,” replied Nelyo with a shake of his head.

“Why? Afraid you won't succeed with Findo and Amarië,” Eve teased.

Nelyo hesitated. “No. I just don't see Findo as much as I used to.”

Eve fell quiet. She nodded. “Sorry.”

“No matter,” assured Nelyo quickly. “I have plenty of material right here.”

She laughed at Káno's half-heartedly annoyed expression. As they continued to listen to the minstrel and his melody, both redheads fell silent. They each had plenty to think about with the ever changing dynamics in the House of Finwë.

A/N 2:

Bum bum bummmm

So not the wedding y'all were looking forward to.

But still... A wedding.

Thoughts?

Want to yell at me for leaving this for so long???

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

978 44 10
Once the darkness rises once more, a girl from the stars is bound to fall. Upon her arrival the One will be revealed and the light will slowly start...
63.7K 2.2K 40
***Official Wattpad LOTR Fanfic*** Here follows the story of Thranduil, newly crowned King of the Woodland Realm. These pages tell of how he met the...
2.4K 51 18
This is a collection of stories, each piece a standalone, which I originally wrote between 2001 and 2005. They center on the life of Maedhros (usuall...
3.5K 76 12
Silmarillion request book! Please read the first chapter for info. Requests currently closed due to my other projects.