Daughter of a King

By ThorinsChild110

Young Arulla Durin is snatched away from her home in Erebor when she was only 20 years old(Which is like 9 or... More

Author's Note
Character Description
Chapter 1: A Clear Summer Day
Chapter 2: The Years a Princess
Chapter 3: The Red Sky
Chapter 4: The Hidden Bush
Chapter 5: The News He Heard.
Chapter 6: Rivendell
Chapter 7: My Life Now
Chapter 8: A Quest to Reclaim a Broken Home?
Chapter 9: Bree
Chapter 10: The Hobbit Hole
Chapter 11: An Unexpected Party
Chapter 12: The Awkward Reunion
Chapter 13: The Adventure Begins
Chapter 14: Resting on a Cliff
Chapter 15: Reaching for Stars
Chapter 16: Missing Ponies???
Chapter 17: Roast Mutton
Chapter 18: Love Sorrow then Happiness
Chapter 19: Recalling the Past
Chapter 20: The Hidden Pass
Chapter 21: A Short Rest
Chapter 22: Moon Runes and Lullabies
Chapter 23: Misty Mountians
Chapter 24: GoblinTown
Chapter 25: Escaping Goblintown
Chapter 26: Out of the Frying Pan...
Chapter 27: ...And Into the Fire
Chapter 28: The Carrock
Chapter 30: Beorn
Chapter 31: Edge of Mirkwood
Chapter 32: The Dark Forest
Chapter 33: Visions of Old and Darkness to Spare
Chapter 34: Elves of the Forest
Chapter 35: The Elven King
Chapter 36: The Great Escape
Chapter 37: Barrels
Chapter 38: The Bargeman
Chapter 39: The Orc that Remains
Chapter 40: Almost Home
Chapter 41: Laketown

Chapter 29: Nightmares

2.1K 73 36
By ThorinsChild110

(Thorin's POV)

I held Arulla close to my chest as she fell asleep. Once I knew for sure that she was in a deep slumber, I carefully grabbed my bedroll and slowly removed myself from Arulla's grip. I laid her down gently and replaced my arm with my folded bedroll, as a makeshift pillow. Then I grabbed my blanket and threw it over top of her. She snuggled into the warm blanket and sighed contently.

I walk over next to Dwalin and he nods in greeting, "How does our leader fair?"

I grimace as I remember my pain in my chest and head, but I shake it off and hide my emotions, "I'm fine." Dwalin chuckled, "No you're not Thorin. Aulë, you almost got killed by a warg no more than a day's past."

I smiled and looked behind me. My smile falters and I see the small, and rather thin and pale figure cuddled safely in my furs. "I must be strong Dwalin. You know that." Dwalin followed my gaze and nodded slowly.

I continued, "If she knew I was in pain, she would worry about my well being before her own. I cannot allow her do that. She needs strength more than I." Dwalin nods again in understanding.

I sigh deeply and my gaze retracts from Arulla's sleeping form and onto Dwalin again. I breathe deeply before speaking again, "Dwalin..." Dwalin looks up at me with a curious gaze. "If something ever happens-" "

"Thorin don't-" I shake my head. "No. IF something happens to me, whether it's on this quest, or when I'm old and frail, just promise me... Promise me that you'll look after her. And tell her how much I cared about her."

Dwalin took in a shaky breath but then nodded, "I swear on my life Thorin that after you move on, that she will never want for anything, and everyday I'll tell her of embarrassing and loving stories that her father shared with me years before, and stories about how many days you searched for her, and thought about her, and even told funny tales about her."

I chuckled and gave Dwalin a genuine and thankful smile. I went to embrace him and whisper in his ear, "Thank you my friend." I pushed away and Dwalin clapped a hand on my shoulder and shook it gently. When he walked away I started back over to my sleeping child, but before I could reach her, I could hear Bilbo running down the slope, breathing and panting heavily.

I whipped around and was able to meet his face the moment it came into view, "How close is the pack?" My voice is panicked and worried. Wait, my voice has never been panicked and worried. Oh yeah that's right, I became a father again.

"Too close. a couple of leagues, no more." Bilbo replied, breathing heavily, "And that is not the worst of it." I sighed and grumbled, 'There's always something worse!' I thought to myself.

"Have the wargs picked up our scent?" Dwalin questioned, I looked up, hopefully not.

"Not yet, but they will do. We have another problem." Bilbo huffed in one breath.

"Did they see you?" Gandalf asked coming out from the shadows. Bilbo didn't answer, "They saw you!" Bilbo shook his head and I released the breath I never knew I was holding.

"No that's not it-"

Gandalf smiled, "What did it tell you. Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material." everyone began their "soft" cheers in agreement.

"Will you listen?" Bilbo glanced around the company who payed him no heed, "Will you just listen?!" Again no response.

"OI!" A raspy and hoarse voice from behind me shouted. I turned around and sure enough Arulla had sat up and was glaring at the company. She looked like she had just escaped her deathbed, which she did, but it made me extremely worried.

Bilbo nodded a thanks to Arulla and she nodded back and laid her head down once again.

"I'm trying to tell you there's something else out there." Bilbo stuttered as he pointed a finger up the slope he had just climbed down. Gabdalf's eyes grew worried now, "What form did it take? Like a bear?"

Out from the corner of my eye I could see Arulla's eyes shoot wide open. Bilbo looked confused and puzzled, but continued on with his report.

"Ye-Yes but bigger. Much bigger."

My eyes flew to Gandalf, 'How did he know that?' But before I could speak, Bofur asked for me.

"You knew about this beast?" But Gandalf turned away, not answering the question spoken. "I saw we double back." Bofur suggests. I shake my head vigorously, "And be run down by a pack of Orcs."

"There is a house." Gandalf speaks again as he turns to face the company, "It's not far from here, where we might take refuge." I see Arulla smirk in happiness as she begins to stand, clasp my furs onto her skinny form, and throw her pack over her shoulders, all the while she's glaring amused daggers at the wizard. Finally I sense something is different about this "creature"

"Whose house? Are they friend or foe?" I ask with a little distaste in my voice.

"Neither. He will help us or... He will kill us." Gandalf admitted.

"What choice do we have?" I mumble softly, making my way slowly to Arulla's side. Then a roar pierces the silence of the conversation and I grip onto Arulla's waist and look to Gandalf.

"None." The wizard said with a worried and defeated look and he immediately told us to run. Arulla groaned in protest but as we were running I kept telling her about fantasies and sweets that she'll get after all the running is over.

"Once... We get... To the house..." I started breathlessly, trying to concentrate on my surroundings and my company. "... I'll let you ... Have all... Of the sweets you want... When we get back home." She just laughs at me and quickly retorts back,

"Let's just worry about getting to the house first!!" Yep, she's back.

(Arulla's POV)

"Let's just worry about getting to the house first!!" I answered, with a little humor and a little sarcasm. He really did know when to talk. Always when we're running or in danger does he gain the courage to strike up a decent conversation. But when we are out of those circumstances, he can't even find the words to say after "Hello." It strikes me as very odd.

We were running through the forest when we heard the roar again. Bombur froze and turned around with eyes wide with fear. He didn't move from his spot, his feet were planted like roots.

"Bombur come on!" Thorin bellowed as he pulled Bombur's beard. Bombur turned around and began running again, probably the fastest the poor man could run, which was pretty fast for a man of his... 'situation'.

"Come on!" Gandalf yelled.

'We're coming wizard! We're certainly not going to wait and have tea with the beast!!' I thought.

We ran out of the forest finally out of the rough terrain. But there was a field of land still to go, and the bear was hot on our heels.

"To the house. Run!" Gandalf yelled again. "Where else are we going to go?! Mordor!?" I comment quietly.

I grumbled but all of this running was weighing heavily on my wounds. I began to lag, just as the bear burst through the forest line. Everyone looked back and fear was now plainly etched onto their faces.

Bombur was the most feared. He began to pick up a pace that was faster than any other dwarf in the company. He passed Nori, Fílí, Kílí, and Thorin. But as pain gets the better of me, I continue to lag until I'm the at the back of the company. Thorin notices and moves to where he's just in front of me.

I see Bombur reach the door first, only he had never slowed down from his fast paced running. He collided head first into the door... The door didn't budge. Fílí got there next and began hurling his weight onto the door, again it didn't budge. We were almost there, me and Thorin, the bear still in hot pursuit.

"Open the door!" Gandalf yelled.

"Quickly!" Thorin bellowed as he passed me to Dwalin and swiftly moved past everyone to lift the latch of the door. The door swung open and we tumbled in. I toppled over all of the men as they tried to shut the door quickly. I groaned in pain and discomfort when my body collided with the floor.

The dwarves weren't fast enough, when they were almost there, the big bear thrusts his head forward, making the dwarves lose their grip and stumble back. their grip is quickly regained, but the bear's snout was nudged between the door. Snapping fiercely at the company. When the fierce eyes met mine on the floor, he moaned in recognition, while trying to retain his grip. I was clutching my stomach from the pain, but the company didn't notice as their concentration was somewhere else.

Finally the bear gave up and released his grip on the door and the dwarves stumbled forward, trying to latch the door back before the bear changed his mind. I tried to stand, but instantly regretted it. I hissed out loud and made a pitiful groan. Thorin was the first to notice me, of course.

"Arulla!" He rushed to me in an instant and lifted me into his arms. Dwalin came to take me back, but Thorin's grip tightened, making me yelp slightly.

"What is that?" I faintly hear Ori say.

"That is our host." Gandalf replied. And everyone turned to him in shock... Well, all except me. Gandalf smirks at the company's face, "His name is Beorn. And he's a skin-changer." Gandalf paused as he turned away, "Sometimes he a huge black bear, sometimes he's a great strong man. However, he's not over fond of dwarves."

"Come. You need to rest." Thorin whispered in my ear.

"So do you." I wheezed out barely, making my lungs to constrict and coughs that wouldn't stop. That worried Thorin only more. He thrashed out his cloak and messily laid it on the ground over the hay and my coughing finally stopped. He laid me on top of the soft fabric and ruffled my hair gently and smiled. "Sleep. Sleep Mizim. Sleep." He whispered. I closed my heavy eyes and began to nod off to sleep when I heard deep, rumbling paw thumps getting farther and farther away. I open my eyes again in fear.

"He's leaving." Ori piped up after looking through the crack in the door.

"Come away from there!" Dori grumbled while practically yanking Ori away from the door, "It's not natural, none of it. It's obvious; He's under some dark spell"

"Don't be a fool; he's under no enchantment but his own. Alright now, get some sleep, all of you. You'll be safe here tonight." Gandalf spoke, as he turned away I could barely see his lips moving. But if you asked me what he said... I could not tell you. Gandalf walks over to me slowly and caresses my forehead.

"Arulla? How do you feel?" Gandalf asked.

I smirked, "I'm in pain. A lot of pain Gandalf. It hurts, but not as much as it did. Is that normal?"

Gandalf nods, "Yes Henig. It is only your body is trying to catch up with your healing. You should be as right as rain in the morn." As he stood up and left to find a place to sleep.

I smile and look over to Thorin who is conversing with Dwalin. His face is stern and cold, but once his eyes meet mine, it melts and softens into a tight smile. He then continues with his conversing and I slowly try to get up, only to find him rushing to me and pushing me back down.

"I thought I told you to go to sleep?"

I smiled, "Can't."

"Why?"

"I'm not tired."

"Yes you are. Go to sleep Arulla. I'll still be here when you wake up." And with that he forgot all about his conversation with Dwalin and nestled himself at my side, draping a protective arm across my waist. I sighed in content and slowly nodded off to sleep by the peaceful and calming noises of Thorin's breathing.

"I love you Haban." I hear Thorin mumble half asleep. I hum in response, and drift off very fast.

(Thorin's POV)

I drift off finally after a few moments of watching Arulla find peace in her dreams. She looked so calm and content, and happy. I almost lost her because of my angry desires. I'm not going to let her leave my side again.

Just then I hear whimpering. Like a helpless animal is crying for its mother. It's a soft mewl, but I can hear it loud and clear. Then it gets louder like screams and shouts. My eyes shoot open and I can still hear the screams of pain. I look to my side and there is Arulla, shaking and crying and screaming in protests and mercy. She was having a nightmare.

I quickly get up and begin calling her name. "Arulla?" She still continues to shake and scream. "Arulla!!" I shake her shoulders this time and her eyes fly open and she clings to my tunic and cries softly. I try my best to soothe her and eventually it works.

She pushes away from my chest and I wipe away her falling tears, "I'm sorry I woke you up. I didn't mean to be so loud."

I shook my head, "Tell me what it was about, your nightmare." She shuddered at the remembrance and I could already tell what this was going to be about.

"It's not a pretty story Adad. Are you sure you want to know?"

I nod slowly as she takes in a deep breath of air.

"Okay, many years ago while I was still with Elrond, me and a few of my friends were out hunting in a forest nearby. We had no care in the world, just about as reckless as Fílí and Kílí are. Now I had some maturity, being the Lady of Imladris I had to be. So when we had finished our hunting my friends wanted to goof off and I decided against it. It was getting dark, and we were far away from Rivendell's gates. So I urged them to stop playing so we could go back." She paused, "We should've gone back faster."

"We were ambushed soon after we began moving. It was only a small pack but we were only three people. My friends were killed right in front of me, while I was gagged and forced to watch their cries of pain. One of the Orcs said that they should take the Lady of Imladris to their Master, and have him decide what to do with me."

I stiffened, if they had taken her, no Orc would be safe from my wrath, apparently she noticed my discomfort and put a hand on my shoulder. "They didn't do that. I am still pure." I sighed and she continued on with her story.

"After I was shoved into a cell I noticed a tall and almost white Orc in the cell with me, but he had some sort of thick leather string with him. He asked me my name and I gave him my Elven name. He then began to beat me and strike me hard in the stomach. I spat at him and gave him dirty looks... He sneered at me and ordered his lieutenant to chain my arms above my head. After that was done, my shirt was torn off me and I waited for the pain... And the rest is history."

It took me awhile to digest all of this information but then I asked, "If he had whipped you, why haven't I seen your scars?" She smirked, "Have you ever gone past my undergarments?"

I shook my head vigorously, "No!!! Never!!!" She chuckled, "Then that's why." I smiled at her and glanced around at the sleeping company. suddenly a thought came to my mind, "Will you let me see them?" She smiled. "In the morning. For now let's sleep."

_____________________________

Haban- Khuzdûl for Gem/ My

Gem

Mizim- Khuzdûl for Jewel/ My Jewel

Henig- Sindarin for My child

Okay I know I promised to give you guys Beorn in this chapter but I had more plot to explain in this one... So I solemnly swear that the next chapter WILL HAVE BEORN!!! No doubt about it. So in the next chapter be prepared to find out something about the future.... but I'm not giving you any hints on what it will be... You'll just have to wait for the next chapter. Thank you so much for being so patient with me on this and I promise that even though school starts next week that I will try my best to get a new chapter in every week. Thank you again and please vote, comment, share. It really does help :)

Namarië

-TC110

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 43 20
~Year 3435 of the Second Age, a brisk winter's morning, that was when I was born. Year 3441 of the Second Age, I lost everything and I was hidden in...
1.8K 63 11
There was a Princess in the Woodland Realm. She was the oldest of four children. Unlike her siblings, though, she was forced to stay inside the kingd...
440K 11.9K 38
First book She is older than most. She was feared. She was a queen. One people believed to be dead. For ages she was never seen. Until a certain w...
10.6K 245 34
Discover the incredible story of a girl who, together with Thorin's Company embarks on a journey through the Middle-Earth to regain the former house...