Through Her Eyes (2Yeon)

By deathlessly

My life can't get any better than this. I mean, I'm blind and all but I suppose there are conditions worse th... More

i. Walking Stick
ii. Leather Jacket Day
iii. Rehearse
iv. New Face
v. 2 Busy 4 Me
vi. Stone Cold
vii. Talented Confession
viii. The Things I'd Do To You (extra chapter)
x. Look At Me
xi. Overcommunicate
xii. Answers from the Other Side
xiii. Fight Club
xiv. I Care
xv. Fluttering Feelings
xvi. Give It A Try
xvii. Hit or Miss
xviii. Truth or Pizza
xix. Midnight Blue
xx. Kiss & Tell
xxi. Word Doc
xxii. Walk This Way
xxiii. Breathe
xxiv. Room of Gloom
xxv. Epiphany
xxvi. Live and Let Live
xxvii. The Life
xxviii. Voicemail
xxix. Reconcile (Part 1)
XXX. Recollect (Part 2)
xxxi. Angel Without Wings
xxxii. One Q
xxxiii. Healed
xxxiv. Live with Raison D'etre (EPILOGUE)
Comments, Questions, Concerns (?)
Your questions ANSWERED

ix. Sweet Talker

2.1K 115 30
By deathlessly

Considering she was disabled, having no experience with long distance long-running, and navigating her way through the streets by whacking away at things in every direction, Nayeon was making sufficient time. Bustling masses of people scurried out of her way when they saw her whacking her way through metals chairs and poles. Many were bewildered with what this crazy girl was doing, not suspecting that she was blind. Out of a rush, Nayeon forgot to wear her protective sunglasses. She pretty much lost the care for any of her priorities the moment she ran out of the auditorium. Inexplicable emotions of all sorts came crashing on her. Running for a long period of time wasn't good for her joints. Soon, she arrived at the park and was out of breath.

It dawned on her that from the absence of any other voices other than the tweeting of birds or chipmunks or leaves crunching, Nayeon was the only human in the park. By the time she got her hands off her knees, she had the energy to stand up and strike more obscurities. The rough sounds of whipping in the air sent the animals running away. Nayeon inhaled deeply, cool crisp air flowing through her nostrils. It was one of the rarest autumn of her life that made her feel truly alive. She missed that feeling of not being caged in her room all day with nothing but audiobooks to keep her company. That was prior to meeting Jeongyeon; "The Dark Years," as Nayeon would label them.

Nayeon wished that Jeongyeon could see this view and experience this sense of independency; Nayeon wanted nothing more than to be able to witness this moment and capture the memory to be locked away in the safe corners of her mind. The swishing leaves briskly performed a dance with the wind, cool air spiraling through the fields of grass that lay all around her. Temperate whispers of air passed through Nayeon's clothing without saying a word, leaving nothing but a trail of goosebumps on her arms.

Deprived of witnessing any of this, Nayeon grew infuriated. She was crossed with herself for being disadvantaged. But the sultry kiss Mother Sun gave to her child instantly elevated her mood; telling Nayeon that was understandable for her to be angry but that doesn't mean she needed eyes to be able to feel beauty around her. In that very essence in time, Nayeon released all of her pain, giving it to the sunset. Mother Sun told Nayeon that she would be just fine and that whatever she was going through, Nayeon would be able to make it work; she's always had.

When the gloaming start lowering further into the trees and Nayeon felt chillier than warm, she set foot again, smacking the dirt to lead her way. There was a particular spot she went with Jeongyeon one time where they went since Jeongyeon forced her to skip one class, just one class. Nayeon insisted that they only be gone for that one class but they ended up not going back and spending the rest of the day at the park.

Where was that again? Am I even going in the right direction? Nayeon continued to smack the ground with her walking stick, hitting away big rocks and stabbing at fallen leaves.

If the ducks were still hear then their quacking could lead me t-- She had missed only one stone that was burrowed into the ground. The giant rock caught a hold of her bed, sending her flying forward and into the pond. With a hearty squeal, Nayeon fell face first into the murky waters, alarming two swans that were peacefully taking a wade.

"Great."

Nayeon laughed scornfully at her clumsiness.

"Just what the doctor ordered; I'm blind AND I'm gonna catch a cold. Can this day get ANY worse?"

As if the heavens have answered her sarcastic plea, her phone buzzed in her back pocket.

"Nabugs, you have one text message from Momoring: Where r you? Sent 1 minute ago."

"I'm not gonna answer that. I just want to be alone for once." Nayeon had the aching urge to roll her eyes but couldn't. She got off her knees, hoisting herself up with her cane. Squeezing some pond water from her hair, Nayeon took her phone from her back pocket and tapped on the top screen.

"Time is 5:54 PM. November 12, Saturday."

Nayeon sighed, tilting her head down. Taking about five minutes, she came up with an elaborate response to Momo's text. She never left anyone on read no matter what.

"Alexa, reply to Momo with: Leave me alone."

The couple arrived at Dahyun's house. Momo parked her car in her girlfriend's driveway, outside of the closed garage. She rushed out of the car and went to Dahyun's side, opening the door like the gentlewoman she was. Dahyun stole a shy glance, small tints of pink on her cheeks as she got out of the car. Momo was pleased with herself once again, closing the door behind her. She walked Dahyun to her doorstep and smiled down at her as soon as they both stopped walking.

"That should teach you to unwind a little more," Momo teased, winking at her girlfriend.

"Momooo." The pink color quickly returned to Dahyun's face, becoming flustered as she impatiently tapped her foot on the floor.

Momo fell awe at the sight of the sheepish look on Dahyun's lovely face. "I'm just kidding, my little tofu." She chuckled, pinching Dahyun's soft sheeks.

"I'm gonna go find Nayeon." Momo nudged her head over her shoudler, indicating she was going to leave soon. "She's probably not home."

"How do you know?" Curiously, Dahyun tilted her head to the side without knowing.

"I just know, buttercup." Momo had a natural cocky face to her, smirking naturally.

Dahyun rolled her eyes, looking off to the side and then back to face Momo. "Riiight, because apparently you know everything."

"Not really. Unlike my genius and hardworking girlfwend over here." Momo couln't resist but pinch Dahyun's soft cheeks, making gooey noises at her.

Shaking her head and swatting Momo's hand away, Dahyun started to get annoyed. "Aiish. Okii OKII." She held her hand up to her left cheek, the other arm holding her books upright. Stinging sensations made their way up to recover to pause of blood flow in her cheeks.

"Now go inside so I know you're safe."

"Yes, ma'am. Text me if anything."

Momo hummed a response, giving Dahyun a quick goodbye kiss. She watched Dahyun walk into her house, hearing her mom say something in the distance. The two shared a smile before Dahyun lightly closed the door on her. Momo walked down the porch stairs, heading back to her car. She sat in her seat for a few minutes, sending a text to Nayeon.

Where r you?

It was a straightforward question. Alexa would be able to pick it up quickly. Knowing Nayeon, she would reply to Momo regardless. After five minutes or so, Momo got a response back.

Leave me alone

"Well isn't that mature of her." Momo snorted. Putting down her phone, she started up her car and left Dahyun's driveway. She already had a thought of where Nayeon could possibly be. There weren't many places she had gone to that were walking distance.

Investigating the multiple ripples of water and frustrated grunts, Momo realized that Nayeon was skipping stones by the pond. With nobody else in the entire park, she thought that Nayeon couldn't be here. She was about to turn back when she heard the sudden racket. At first, it was quiet, thinking that it was just a snap of a twig and that she was mistaken. The noise came back and continued on; more angry groans coming from within the park. Momo had to push pass several bushes to get there. The sight of Nayeon groveling over the ground trying to pick up rocks to throw caused Momo to double over and laugh.

Nayeon didn't have to second-guess who the laugh belonged to. Her ears perked up, twitching slightly. She couldn't believe how Momo was able to find her in such quick notice and without any hint of her whereabouts. Staring up at the sky, she muttered a sneering 'really?'

"What are you doing here, Momo?"

"I should be asking you the same thing, Nayeon." With a cheeky grin on her face, Momo did a funny walk on her way over to greet her friend.

"Why are you wet?" Momo paused. "Wait. Did you fall into the water?" She tried to hold back another incoming laugh.

Nayeon sighed, dropping her head. "Is it not obvious from my wet clothes that are now slowly drying?" Motioning her hands up and down, gesturing at her soggy frame. Even if she tried to push Momo away, she wouldn't budge. Although Nayeon is stubborn, Momo's been determined to get what she wanted and that was to fix more of Jeongyeon and Nayeon's problems.

Momo released an exasperated sigh as she took her place besides a dropping Nayeon.

"Just messing with ya, kid. It's obvious; just like your feelings for Jeong." There she went dropping bombs on her again. Nayeon took another realistic blow; staring off into the distance.

Joking aside, Momo gazed at her worried friend. She didn't want to witness the aggrieved expression imprinted on her face. Nayeon looked lost with a concentrated stare that expanded beyond the tan skyline, listening to the combination of her slow heartbeat and swishing of the wind through the grass as their rhythmic footsteps joined together in a showdown. Even though utter darkness was in her vision, Mother Sun's warmth on her face remained, tickling her face as a reminder that she was present. The two shared an unspoken moment of silence. Momo hiked her legs up, placing her arms to rest on her knees.

As much as Momo wanted to sit there in silence, admiring the last minutes of the sunset together, she needed to straighten out so many things with Nayeon.

"How are you feeling about all of this?"

Nayeon's heartbeat ceased to remain calm, picking up an unnatural pace like an old rickety drum. Her breath hitched, head still pointing straight ahead. She didn't even know where to begin. A scramble of words started thrusting into her brain but none could fix themselves up to form a proper statement. Anger, frustrated, confusion, flabbergasted. . . Despite having a million ideas of what she felt from it, Nayeon couldn't pinpoint the exact emotions to explain her deepest concerns.

"You knew?" Two words. That was all Nayeon came up with in that big brain of hers. After much deciphering and inner analysis, one two-word question was the only thing that came out of her mouth that made sense. It was good enough of a response.

Momo had to inch back a few to give Nayeon a dumbfounded look. She was asking the wrong question. But Momo would provide an answer either way. It just wasn't the feedback she was hoping to get out of her.

"Wha-of course I damn knew. Everyone in the whole fucking school could see that from ten yards, Nayeon. Gosh I don't wanna make jokes right now but literally open your eyes."

"I just don't get it." Nayeon lowered her head to the ground, shaking with disbelief. "Of all the people in that school and in her life, why would Jeong be IN LOVE with someone like me?"

"You ask yourself that like it's a bad thing."

"It is."

"Oh, hush up. We all know how much of a fucking amazing person you are, Nabongs. You care for others too much to the point that you set your feelings aside just to make them satisfied. You uh are literally the smartest person in the whole fucking school. You can sing, I guess.."

"Hey!" Nayeon tried to take a swing at Momo but missed terribly. Momo was quite fast even though she was really close to Nayeon.

"Okay, you CAN sing. Your voice is fucking awesome!" Momo chuckled.

"Please, urgh. Stop cursing." Nayeon covered her ears to overdramatize her distaste for profanity. Momo, on the other hand, loved to curse and did it naturally like a sailor.

"Fine. Anyways.. Can you please get it through your thick skull that Jeongyeon Yoo is literally in love with.." Nayeon was anticipating for the continuation of Momo's sentence but it took forever.

"You." Momo saw the chance to lightly tap Nayeon's nose with her finger. She scrunched her nose up like a bunny, wriggling it out, feeling a sneeze come up. But it never came.

"What are you feeling? Tell me. Are you questioning if you like girls or not?"

Nayeon casually shrugged her shoulders. "I've always known that girls are pretty." She felt indifferent about the question, not needing to think twice about it.

"Nabugs Bunny, you haven't had a boyfriend since birth. NBSB!"

"Tru--"

"Lemme point out the factors to you. Okay?" Momo shifted her body to face Nayeon directly. By doing so, she would able to project her voice easier. Nayeon didn't move an inch, frozen in the position that faced the airy pond. Momo held up her hand.

"I'm holding up three fingers right now, idiot."

Nayeon turned her body to the side, now facing Momo. She couldn't roll her eyes and traded that in for an annoyed sigh, quickly smiling after.

"You've turned down every guy who has ever asked you out." Momo put down a finger.

"You've never had a crush on a boy even ONCE." Another finger went down.

It's like she's been counting these my entire life, Nayeon thought to herself, amused with how Momo was so settled in proving her points.

"Never even dated." The last of Momo's three came down, nothing left but a closed fist.

"Now that's just sad.." Nayeon tilted her head, feeling herself get drowsy from the chilliness in the air. "Maybe I'm just waiting for the one, ya know."

"Or MAYBE THE ONE FOR YOU IS JEONGYEONNN." Momo tried to dig up every detail that could support her argument, urgently hoping that it would finally register in Nayeon's head and that she could get hit by the realization truck.

"You're impossible." Nayeon shook her head, still not convinced. Despite all the efforts and strong arguments Momo has provided, Nayeon couldn't believe the fact that her own best friend, Jeongyeon, was in love with her. For starters, she was blind. Why would anyone so amazing like Jeongyeon love someone who couldn't even see? She always thought she was a burden to everyone in her life; her parents, her siblings, Momo, Dahyun, Jeongyeon, her teachers, even Kookeu. Secondly, Jeongyeon could have anyone in the entire world and yet, she chose Nayeon. That alone was enough to make anyone have doubts.

"N..No, YOU'RE the one who's impossible."

From a split temper she caught, Momo pointed a finger at Nayeon. She questioned herself on why she did it, slowly putting it down. She was already losing her patience. It took a lot for that to happen but it was only in the space separating Nayeon and Jeongyeon's constant bickering. They didn't have it so bad like this. Usually their grudges couldn't go on for more than an hour or so. This was entirely foreign territory both of them were crossing.

"I don't even know if I'm gay."
With slumped shoulders, she put all her weight on her elbows, digging them into her legs.

"Maybe..just maybe I need to get away."
The idea was starting to sound quite appealing once Nayeon said it. Picturing a nice sandy beach while she laid on a foldable chair sipping a freshly opened coconut. Daydreaming of getting away for a bit to clear her head sounded more pleasant than dealing with her current situation, leaving Nayeon to doze off into fantasy land while Momo looked at her weirdly.

She wasn't about to let her friend escape any of her problems. It would resolve nothing and in return come back to bite Nayeon in the ass if she held it off for too long. Momo was tired of her two friends playing cat and dog while she sat in between them like a puzzled raccoon.

"Then, let's get away to the swing sets. Get your feet off the grind for a second. Your head's been stuck in some dirt for awhile."
Picking herself up first, Momo dusted some debris off. She held her hand out for Nayeon to grab. The dazed girl wanted to stay on the grass for a little while longer to recollect her thoughts, but with Momo here, Nayeon's hopes of doing so seemed unlikely to a fault.

"Gimme a hand." Unaware that Momo had already stuck her hand for Nayeon to lay hold of.

Momo decided to jokingly throw her off. "I'd gladly give you my eyes if I could, Nabongs."

Nayeon didn't pay much mind to Momo's jokes, familiar with Momo's sneering humor.
"How sweet of you," Nayeon fired back, wishing she could roll her eyes. She would've done about 200 eyerolls thanks to Momo. Grabbing Momo's hand, she hoisted herself up, making sure not to put all her weight down for Momo to pick up, incase they could possibly fall backwards and into the pond. Nayeon's clothes were already dry.

On their way over to the swing set, Nayeon let out a small sneeze, wiping her nose with her shirt sleeve. "You're already blessed."

Momo playfully grinned, guiding Nayeon by hooking their arms together. In front of the swings were monkey bars. Catching her interest, Momo positioned Nayeon to sit on a swing while she went over to entertain herself for a couple of seconds. Huffing her way down the line, Momo succesfully gripped each bar, swinging herself across until she made it to the other end. She jumped down, landing on the small heap of sand that circled the monkey bars.

"I just crossed the entire monkey bar without breaking a sweat."
Striking a powerful pose, Momo felt accomplished with the small side quest. Nayeon laughed, shaking her head at her friend. It was times like these where Momo wished Nayeon could see what she was trying to do to make her laugh and to cheer her up, then it be more effective and make her job easier. There was nothing Momo could do and she only had her words to give Nayeon a featureless description.

One of Momo's glorious ideas bubbled to the surface of her brain. She felt that this would surely set Nayeon off. Her plan couldn't possibly fail. If so, Nayeon was extremely forgiving and understanding; not that Momo were to take that rare trait for granted. There were many times when Momo forgot about the major feature she was supposed to do when it came to Nayeon and that was to say whatever she was doing at all times. It wasn't as extremely compared to what her parents and Jeongyeon say like going to the bathroom or blinking. Momo often forgot to say it, but Nayeon didn't seem to be adamant about it.

"Hold my hand for a few seconds." Momo stuck her hand out again.

"Momo, what are you--"

"Just do it."

Without another thought, Nayeon reached out and touched Momo's hand. Clasping their hands together, Nayeon stayed quiet after, wondering what was Momo planning this time. This was only part one in her three step operation and like always, Momo was sworn on getting the results she wanted, or at least some progress into pushing her friends together. A couple of seconds passed and Nayeon became irritable bored, on top of that, confused at Momo's unforeseen request.

"How do you feel?"

"I don't know. Why'd you ask me to hold your hand?"

Avoiding her question, Momo asked another, countering it. "Does it feel nice?"

"Umm..no, because your hands feel clammy."

"They're uhh..sweaty. I got sweaty hands, Nabongs." Momo felt that was good of a reaction. She released their hands. Withdrawing hers, Nayeon wiped the sweat on her jeans.

"Thank you. Next." Sitting next to the swing besides Nayeon. Alright, the second part of my test. This one will surely make her uncomfortable since she hasn't done this type of thing with anyone. If Nayeon will be able to cooperate, then the third will surely prove my test to be successful. To hype herself up, Momo kicked the air violently to loosen up.

"Next for what?" The only thing Nayeon could do with her eyes was to raise her brows in question. She had no clue what devious scheme Momo had planned but whatever it is, Nayeon was sure that it was done with sheer impulsiveness.

"Sit on my lap."

"What?"

"I'm right next to you. Sit on my fu--"

"Okay. Fine. Just please don't say the f word."

"Fank you." Momo grinned. Her plan seemed to be working well, so far. Nayeon compliance made her job easier to get results.

Nayeon got off her own swing to join Momo on her open lap. She sat down without making a sound or any form of remark. Momo looked up at her timid friend and wrapped her arms behind Nayeon's back, locking her fingers to hold her in place, smiling with a brazen look on her face. Nayeon faced her head forward, her lips squirming to stay still.

"I can feel you staring at me."

"That's because I am, darling."

"You sure Dubu isn't gonna be mad at you?" Nayeon snorted at her retort, forgetting that she was still laughing while sitting on Momo's lap.

"Nope. She'll surely get a good laugh out of this one."

Nayeon gloomily frowned to herself. It took them another couple of seconds of silence since they got situated. Momo felt that this was being prolonged enough and nodded to herself, knowing the last part was coming up.

"Alright. Now, kiss me."

Nayeon wasn't anticipating that one. In a heated flash, the blood came rushing back to her face forcefully shoving Momo's chest with her hands in a panicked state. Momo bursted out laughing. Both of them came tumbling back.

"Momo! What the heck!"

"You said 'heck'. That's a penny for the swear jar."

Wiping her aching bottom, Nayeon managed to pick herself up without her cane which was folded and stuck in her back pocket.
"Then you owe me millions and that's going to my college fund."

"Would you prefer kissing Jeong instead?" Switching back to the topic, Momo didn't want to stray away from getting an answer.

The flashback from her dream came back to haunt Nayeon in broad daylight, switching on and off in her head like YouTube video set to HD. Nayeon wanted to burn the image from her head and scatter its ashes out on the pond. She shut her eyes tight, putting both her hands to her head and rubbing her temples.

"Hmm..nOPE."

"What about that dream? Did you like it?"

"Momo..please." Nayeon was emotionally drained out. She pushed her head up, facing the directions of the swings where Momo was sitting. Her eyes couldn't give away how she felt but the way her eyebrows and lips formed were enough for Momo to understand the signals.

With a long and heavy sigh, Momo bobbed her head, tottering as she tapped her foot impatiently, trying to come up with one final thing to ask.

"Just one last question. And I want you to release your stubbornness for a few seconds and be a hundred percent honest with me.."

At first, Nayeon was hesitant to oblige, even before Momo was going to ask her question. She wished that it wasn't too absurd like her previous demands.

"Do you think kissing Jeongyeon would feel nice?"

All Nayeon had to do was give a response to this itty-bitty question and she was home free. Even if the answer wouldn't feel normal coming out of her mouth, Nayeon had to say it. Is it normal to not be 100% sure? Nayeon panicked. There was a pause, then gentle laughter.

"Yes."

A weight lifted off of her shoulders. This giant load that Nayeon had been carrying for days without even realizing was out in the open, and it was validated. Momo smiled at her friend, and with a breath of relief, nodded her head, filled with some content. She knew that Nayeon would feel this way at some point. The breeze entered their parade, flowing around them and messing up their hair. The two friends shared a light laugh that felt easy to let go and in a sense, Momo had a spark of hope that things would get better between her favorite pair.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

969K 37.2K 32
(Lost In Love) (Love Lost) (Love Hurts) (Love And Lies)
146K 7.1K 75
enemies ryujin and yeji's mothers surprises them with a house and a marriage © 2021 ; taesooxia -girl x girl -mature content -trigger content invo...
199K 7.9K 55
Shin Ryujin and Hwang Yeji were close friends growing up until one began to develop feelings and push the other away, unsure how to handle her emotio...
10.3K 866 23
♯ Her world was bland, grey, and void of colour. One day, she received a cup of hot chocolate from a generous, beautiful stranger. And just like that...