Letters

By lisa_m_miller

A woman finds some letters in the attic after her parents have died. Her world is different now in so many di... More

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five

Chapter Two

10 0 0
By lisa_m_miller

The two smaller boxes that I pulled out of the attic still lay on the floor in the corner near my front door. They were calling out my name to open them. But I had a strange feeling in my gut whispering “no”. It was almost warning me I wasn’t ready to see what was inside the boxes.

I was eating like a slob. I knew it but wasn’t willing, or wanting, to do anything about it. Fast food was a perfectly normal food group. As was alcohol.  I know I’m going to be pissed off when I get out of this on the other side (or when my clothes don’t fit) whichever comes first. But at this moment I just don’t care. I just feel numb and drained. I want the funeral to be over with so some small semblance of normal can come back to my life.

As I sat on my floor the boxes around me and a glass of wine on the coffee table just in front of me. I opened the first box of photo albums. The first one I came across was of a holiday. I must have been around six or seven. I was sat surrounded by sandcastles all different sizes, the biggest one had a flag on the top. I had a pale pink swimming costume on and white sun hat. It was a simple photo but it reminded me of how lucky I was. Some of those family holidays were my favourite memories as a child.

I smiled to myself as I saw the different photo’s various holidays, family parties and day trips with friends. All of them a different happy moment. Right at the bottom of one of the boxes, under an old newspaper, there was another album. Inside was photos of me and my grandparents. I only recognised them because of the one photo I have of them, on the wall in my bedroom. These must have been from before they became estranged and moved away. I never understood why my mum never reached out to my grandparents over the years. I was sat on my grandad’s knee. I couldn’t have been more than two years old. Sat next to me on grandma’s knee was a young boy. I didn’t recognise him, but he did have a familiar look about him the more I looked at him. I don’t remember having met any cousins on my mum’s side of the family. But since I hadn’t seen them since this was taken it’s not a surprise.

Both my parents came from big families and it always surprised me that they hadn’t wanted big families as well. On my dad’s side of the family I had plenty of cousins and we all ranged in various ages with me being the second oldest. I closed the photo album of my grandparents and the boy who appeared in a couple of other photos. Instead of putting it back in the box with the others I put in the couch behind me. I’d ask my Uncle about that tomorrow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.2K 356 57
A WOSO Oneshot book Oneshots of favourite Women's footballers Mainly the Lionesses, Arsenal Women's team,Chelsea Women's team, Man City Women's team...
Fate By v xxxiri v

Short Story

23.3K 1.7K 13
"𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚙 𝚑𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚖𝚎 ?" 𝙰 𝟷𝟻 𝚢𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚘𝚕𝚍, 𝚅𝚒𝚜𝚑𝚗𝚞 𝚊𝚜𝚔𝚎𝚍 𝚌𝚛𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚘𝚞𝚝. "𝚆...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
36.3K 7.2K 30
A Lawyer, Bold with a bit of anger issues, Smart, Not in good terms with his Father. A Girl, Sweet but Insecure about her weight, With Career tension...