Writing Tips

By SNLangford

Just some advice I would like to give to fellow writers about things that personally bug me and others when r... More

Introduction
The Four Basic Commas
The Different Words that Sound the Same
Text Language
Music and Writing
Paragraphing and Formatting (Updated 2024)
Mary Sues/Gary Stu
Too Little or Too Much?
Blurb? What's That?
Missing Words
Publishing Sins
Rant: Follow then Unfollow
Boyfriends
The Bad Boy
Point-of-View
Capitalization
I'm Loosing My Mind!
Morning Scenes
Blond/Blonde
Creating a Plot - Request
Common Genetics: Hair
Common Genetics: Eyes
Common Genetics: Skin
Common Genetics: Height
Inactivity
Name Selection
Book Covers
A/N 6/23/2017
Windows PC Accent Codes
Somewhat Back From the Dead?
(Update) I'm Back!
High School Writing Tips
(Update)
"Please Read My Story"
Fan Fiction Poll
Fan Fiction (OCs/Reader Inserts + Ranty?)
Phisher Problem on Wattpad
Hair Maitenance
Hair Dyeing
Dreams: A source of ideas
Dear Students...
Location
The English Language
Romances, how should they end?
College Oriented Stories
Opinions (Book Launch?)
Paid Story Feature
Book has Launched
Including Social Issues
Odd Specifics: Curls
Your Attitude
Supporting
Character Development: Allergies
Support Chapter
A Word of Advice + Update
Sometimes You Gotta Just Write
Character Development: Parents
Put Your Work in the Correct Genre
Update on Stories
Beta Reading
Medication
NaNoWriMo
Slurs
Mature Rating
Creating Subplots and Small Parts
An Update on OCs in Fan Fiction (Continue on from the MS chapter)
Transitions
Using Music From YouTube - Remove Ads

Interacting With Your Audience

447 29 45
By SNLangford

Now, I really shouldn't say anything with how slow I am to respond to people on my own books (mainly this one). But engaging with your audience helps a lot.

It doesn't matter what subject it may be (unless it's some type of troll or fight) it is great to talk to people in your comment section.

Just chit chatting and making some small talk will keep people engaged and will also make them appreciate you more as you're actually seeing the comments and not going "oh I'm so popular/superior so I don't have to talk" to them.

Back in my old version of Awakening, there's some moments where people enjoyed my story enough to comment. One reader actually made a comment on my characters Erik and Nic about how she was theorizing if I am going to make them a couple.

^^This above is an example where you tread lightly. Why?

Well, you don't want to spoil what's going to happen in the future correct?

I do have romantic pairs set for the future in that series, but I'm not saying who with who. But to respond to a comment like this or something else involving your story's plot and subplots is actually quite fun.

You can ask the reader a question on why they theorize. You can ask them what their favorite thing about this ship is to them. You can ask so many fun things to engage.

Another fun one is just seeing it for yourself for those two paired. Something like "They do seem like a cute couple, don't they?" or something like that is just as fun and can get the commenters excited.

These things are fun and also are a way to make friends here on Wattpad.

Another thing that's common is people saying they enjoy the story. Many times they say "This is awesome!", "I love this chapter", and many other things.

Depending on its wording, you can thank them or possibly respond to something else they've said too.

This above is simple and nice and makes many happy to see the author has acknowledged them. Little things like this make readers happy!

There is also simple things people say. Most of the time, it's a request (or ecstatic demand depending on how hyped they are about your book) to update your story.

While it isn't necessary to reply if it's a mass amount of people (as it may be a handful) you can make a generic comment in your own comment section to all of them saying your plans on updating.

You don't have to go into much detail. A simple "It will come!" works fine on its own.

If there's any comments that are feedback, critiques, etc, those are also good to respond to.
Note: bashing someone's book is not a critique. But critiques can be harsh depending on who's critiquing.

Usually a thank you is much appreciated as people are contributing to helping you improve your book. Suggestions to a story may be annoying too, but a thank you and saying "I already have it planned" is a good way to let them know you aren't changing plot, characters, pairing a couple, etc to what they want.

Best for all comments is to stay positive when replying back to people. If you feel upset with a critique or comment, you may delete it if it's that upsetting as it is your book.

And on top of positivity, if people do send hate, do not engage with the aggressive/troll audience of your book. Instead, delete their comments and block them if need be.

Hopefully this helps you all with communicating with readers better!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

241K 17.4K 52
Highest Rank: #1 in Non-Fiction [14.08.16] I'm sure many of us have typed in 'How to get more reads' or 'How to get more votes' into Wattpad's search...
2K 263 29
Don't Wattpad alone, Wattpad with me! Wattpad like me! Wattpad better than me!
773 49 13
*HARSH REVIEWER WARNING!* We all know how Wattpad can be. Jaw-droppingly beautiful stories get less than a thousand reads while flaming piles of garb...
33.7K 2.4K 113
Just things that peeve me off here on Wattpad and things in general. Instead of filling my tip book with rants, I'll put them here so they don't clut...