The Black Dane : The Fools War

By Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... More

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
A Wasp and a Promise
The Runts
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
A Plague of Lies
The Creature Caught
The Scent of a Trap
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
The Fork In Destiny
No Prey
Arselings and Urswines
Alfred
Idiocy
A Test of Flames
Restless Wessex
A Slow Turn
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Negotiations
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
So Vows Uncertainty
To Build Understanding
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Watchers
Forsworn
Something Borrowed
Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburรฐarsonr

The Humane Monsters

2.4K 84 9
By Skipology

The following morning Khaana lead two tired children through all that remained of the battlefield. Ravnson had tasked her with aiding them in gathering as much metal and weapon parts as possible. It would be useful for Ravnson's clan to smelt down into new blades and shields.

It was a hollow misty morning, with soft damp air. Brida had broken away from Khaana to gather a sword that lay in a patch of wild flowers, "do you want to join her in the flowers, Osbert?" Khaana asked Uhtred whom still had his fingers latched in her fur. He shook his head "just a little while longer." He said grogily. Khaana nudged his head with her muzzle. "Wake up runt." She teased. Uhtred giggled a bit and nudged her back with his forhead.

Ragnarsson gave out a loud whistle, Khaana's ear perked and she turned her gaze to him. "Anna-na, loose horses, go gather them." He called. Khaana huffed and shook out her fur, Uhtred released her fur. "Go on and gather the blades, I will return shortly" she told him before padding away.

Uhtred watched the large hound chase the spoooked horses about as if herding sheep. Letting out a long sigh he made his way through the grass gathering swords.

Brida watched him from her patch of flowers, standing up she dusted off her knees, gathered the sword and made her way to Uhtred. He was all she had here in the clutches of the Danes, they had to stick together.

Ragnarsson sat upon his horse next to his father as they watched the children and Khaana. "I am thinking about keeping the girl as well." Ravnsson said. "Why? She'd be worth good ransom?" Ragnarsson asked confused. "She could grow up to make a good wife for someone birth healthy heirs."  His father reasoned.

"It will pacify Khaana once we ransom the boy." Ravnsson sighed. Ragnarsson frowned "will it? She has taken claim over -"

"She is our servant by order of the Gods. She has no claim." Ravnsson cut in. In his words were no malice, he had considered Khaana part of his clan. However, she was sent to them as a punishment for disobeying her godly master, and he would not risk angering the gods by letting her off easy.

Ragnarsson fell silent. "And how much do you hope to get for him?" He muttered after some time. "We will have to wait and see." Ravnson replied.

Khaana panted as she finally had the horses rounded together. She lay innthe grass looking up at the sky, longinh for days when she could touch it again. "Oh how the mighty hath fallen" she thought to herself. Far was she from the days when chiefs and village kings would adorn her in jewlry, herbs and pelts. Sprinkle her great wings in perfumes and petals. She missed her homeland across the sea.

"Khaana! Khaana!" Brida's little voice called out. Khaana sat up and popped her head out of the grass. Upon seeing her Brida and Uhtred rushed over. "Look Khaana we got a bunch of them!" Uhtred cheered.

Brida scrunched up her nose "why are ypu talking to it - it cant calt back!" She teased him. "She can, you just can't hear her. Only I can...and the danes I think they can too." Said Uhtred. Khaana gave a wolfish smirk and stood up, heading back towards Ragnarson and Ravnson.

"Come Osbert, the dawn is fading to day lets return." She called.

Ravn smiled as he could hear children playing, Khaana found herself smashed beneath 3 little attackers Uhtred, Brida and Thyra daughter of Ragnar Ravnsson. "Get her! Slew the frost dragon!" Uhtred called out.

Khaana played along careful not to harm the children as she snapped her jaws in fake attacks.

Ragnarsson watched her from his bed in the corner of the long house. A slight smile on his face, she would never admit it but he could tell she was having just as much fun as the children were. While he was having a grand time watching the silliness unfold.

It had been a long time since laughter filled his families home. His baby sister seemed pleased to finally have playmates. There weren't many children in their settlement yet. Most of the Dane which had come were warriors, warriors who left their family behind for safety. There were a few wives who followed their husbands but of those - few had children.

Kjartan had a son, and there was three other boys about Thyra's age. But she wasn't the sort of little girl who enjoyed being around rough and tough boys. Of course like any little Dane girl she had dreams of finding a man with the heart of a fighter, though she was softer and kinder and enjoyed the company of those with similar hearts.

There was no one more fitting than the three she found herself playing with at this moment.

After hours of playing Khaana sat quietly allowing the children to use her as a pillow. "You're great with them." Ragnarsson called to her. Khaana looked at him and in a blink, a woman lay on her stomach on the floor, covered in a black fur cloak, the childrencs head resting on her back.

"Because I am not mortal I cannot care for lesser creatures?" Khaana questioned. Ragnarsson rolled his eyes "I meant no offence, it is a good quality. Powerful but gentle." He said. Khaana sized him up with her eyes and smirked. "Unlike some." She mused. Ragnarsson looked mildly taken back as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"I could be gentle...." He said in a suggestive tone which caused Khaana's smirk to turn into a playful smile "my dear, I meant powerful." She mused. Ragnarsson scowled "I am powerful." He growled. "You've not shown me." She said.

"Would you dare to leave the wasp on his own, I would - could show you." Ragnarsson said his voice low, hushed and husky. Khaana eyed him up and down, she enjoyed playing with the fact yhat he'd wanted her. But after her capture and the removal of her wings - she'd never trusted any man. Nor would she ever gain.

With a coy smile, Khaana took the form of the hound yet again. "Osbert is mine, and I will not leave the pup unattended, not for anyone." She said. Khaana lay her head down and closed her eyes. Ragnarsson deflated and grimaced "what binds you so to this child? It is as if you'd birthed him." He muttered. "I did not weild the sword but it is I that took his parent from him. So it is I in good honnor who must raise him. I made the king a promise. I will protect the pup." She said.

"Yes but for how long? Until he is of age?" Ragnarsson asked pointedly. "Why do you care?" Khaana asked in a bored tone. "He is saxon!" He said voice slightly raised.

Surely the pagan creature had to understand this? What was wrong with this? Ragnarsson wanted her to be granted her freedom, to redeem Khaana in the gods eyes but he could not help her if she'd go against them. Making promises to Saxons? Raising their young?

"The gods will not grant you back your wings." Ragnarsson sighed, rubbing his temples. Khaana popped one eye open. "Do not concern yourself young Ragnar. Peace, I know what it is I do." Khaana said at her words it fell silent, witha bit of a huff Ragnarsson hopped to his feet and rushed out of the longhouse.

Uhtred popped one eyes open and looked at where. Ragnarsson had sat, "wings?" He thought to himself.

After the short nap Uhtred and Brida were put to work. Khaana trotted along side them, they passed Kjartan and his son Sven. Kjartan eyed Khaana as Uhtred lead her by her reigns, now in the form of a large black mare. He smirked, Khaana looked him over eying the coin bag in his hands and the small chest Sven was carrying.

Khaana helped Uhtred and Brida plow a small patch of soil. As Brida ran off to fetch the seeds to plant Uhtred turned to Khaana. "How come you're a horse now?" He asked. "How'd you know it twas me I never said a word." Khaana asked him, masking her shock.

Uhtred tapped the corner of is eye, "your eyes give you away." He said with a bit of a smile. He was proud of himself for out smarting a magical creature. "Is that so?" Khaana said slowly "as they dont seem to faze anyone else."

Uhtred chuckled "I bet young Ragnar can tell." Khaana's eye glistened with amusement and she puffed hot air from her snout. "He has seen all my forms of course he can." She said. Uhtred snickered and shook his head "thats not why." He laughed. Khaana rolled her eyes and gave Uhtred a nudge. "To work runt" she said.

Ravnsson stood with Ragnarsson and Guthrum, "we build strong this area, and then we move forward through the lands, find out what information to can of these so called kings." Ravnson said.

Ragnarsson's eye wandered past his elders to Kjartan, he held a pleased smirk on his face that had the smugness of a fox up to no good. A smirk worthy of the trickster god himself. "Jarl Ravnsson, might I speak to you in private?" Kjartan asked.

Ravnsson looked over Kjartan and his son, woth a sigh he nodded for Guthrum to leave "we will speak later, I shall be returning to Jarl Ubba's territory." said Guthrum. Kjartan waited for Guthrum to leave ignoring the heavy gaze of Ragnarsson.

Ragnarsson looked over the chest that little sven was carrying, there was no doubt it was Kjartan's silver - but what was he buying? The boy Uhtred? The girl Brida? If so Ragnarsson knew he had to find a way to stop it or feel Khaana's wrath.

"There is something you wanted, Kjartan." Ravnsson said, it wasnt a question it was him allowing Kjartan to speak and Kjartan knew as much.

"I have come to lay an offer on the table for the black mare you own. You've her plowing fields with the slaves. Or send her loose into the wilds to be food for the wolves. She is meant for battle lord Ragnar." Kjartan said.

"She is not for sale, Kjartan." Ragnarsson said as calmly as he could. His eyes narrowing a bit. "My mare is not standard stock, hard work does her good - nor is she tamed thus i let her roam free it is up to her when she returns. I have a war hound for battles." Ravnsson said.

Kjartan tossed Ravnsson the coin bag, he caught it and felt the weight in his hands. "My swords weight in silver" Kjartan stated. "Swords weight? - you think that is enough?" Ragnarsson questioned.

"Quiet boy, he knows not what he is barganing for." Ravnsson said a slight chuckle mixed into his words as he could not hide his amusement. "I know what I bargan for -" Kjartan said, reaching down he opened the chest, in silde sliver gleamed in the form a taken treasures from various victories he had seen in battle.

"- the Mare, who is the hound, who is the raven," Kjartan paused and gave a sly smile and crossed his arms "who is the elf - I do not know how came you across the creature lord, but I will pay any price." Kjartan stated.

"And what intrest have you in her?" Ravnsson asked, he looked Kjartan from head to toe, "she works hard, is good with children and being that she is her natural form is like fair and beautiful. Sven's mother is taken ill, across the sea - he will need another." Kjartan reasoned.

"If I wanted someone to breed and wed my elf - I would have given her to my boy. The gods sent her here for my family to find for a reason. It is my buisness alone. And she is mine alone." Ravnsson said.

"Surely there us some offer you would not refuse?" Kjartan asked. "A ships weight in silver - my father said no Kjartan." Ragnarsson cut in. Kjartan looked to him " a ships weight? Thats impossible -"

"Exactly my meaning." Ragnarsson said struggling to remain civil. Kjartan was a good warrior and was a friend but Khaana wasn't right for him - nor anybody else. He hadn't earned her.

Kjartan huffed but nodded respectfully to Ravsson. "Come Sven" he said, catching the coin bag as Ravson tossed it back, and taking his leave.

Ravnsson turned to his son once thw two were gone and chuckled "what?" Ragnarsson asked. Ravnsson slapped his hand down on his son's shoulder. "You want her? You earn her from me. Show me you can handle being tasked to overseeing a pet of the gods by winning many battles." He said.

Ragnarsson's eyes lit up "truely?" He questioned "and a shields weight in silver." Ravnsson said. Ragnarsson exhaled "shields weight..." It would take him ages or so it felt that way. Ragnarsson looked over to the slave children, there Khaana nipped at Brida's braids playfully.

"Very well." Ragnarsson said shaking his fathers hand.

After a day of hard work, Khaana the hound walked Uhtred and Brida down to the river for thier bath. She lay in the grass and looked up at the sky while the children splashed around. "Why are we guarded? We are in danelaw - no ones going to bother us." Brida questioned.

No sooner had the words left the childs mouth thrpugh the bushes camee forth armored Saxon scouts, "take the Dane children! They will make a nice ransom." Ordered their captain. Khaana got to her feet. The fur on her back bristled "out of the water Osbert, grab your garments and make for Ravnsons' tell him about that you've seen." Khaana informed Uhtred calmly. "But - what about you?" He stammered.

"Im hungry." She said with a snarl filled laugh. Uhtred cracked a smile and grasped Brida's hand. "Come on we must run!" He called. Brida followed. "But the dog!" Brida shouted "leave her, she will be fine!".

Khaana rushed a scout who made to make chase after the children, her teeth snapped his leg. Once he fell she went for his neck. A soft dark laughter sounded off, echoing between the trees and vibrating the air.

"You never should have come here Saxons. The very earth thirsts for your blood - pray now to your god, for the gods of pagan soil stand against you." Khaana lulled, the men trebbled as from were the houd had once stood mauling their comrade, noe stood a woman.

Khaana in the black furred cloak stood tall, glaring as blood covered her face. "Leave now or I take the breath ftom your bodies." She warned. "What devilry is this!" A scout cried out, "it is nothing just a woman." Called another. "Not any from this land..." Said the first.

The first scout fired an arrow, Kgaana allowed it to strike her shoulder. She didn't move, didn't flench. "Leave." She hissed.

Using her ability of illusion, Khaana conjured a thing black smoke, it swirled atound the the men, it wreaked of burned flesh and rotted fruit, a foul insense. The trees around them began to decay and rapid whispers filled their ears.

"I will not say again - you leave my lords lands or Hel take ypu all." Khaana said. The men start to cry out and dropped their weapons are the fled through the trees.

Uhtred and Brida made it back to Jarl Ragnar's settlement. Shirts or pants on backwards He and Brida looked a mess as they fladded down the nearest memver of the Ravn family they could find.

"Ragnar! Ragnar!" Uhtred called out to Ragnarson. Whom was sitting with Hjod Eriksson a friend but a younger Dane who'd yet to see real battle. Hjod took his leave as a young woman swayed by and tossed Ragnarsson a wink "good luck." Ragnarsson called after him with a chuckle.

He then turned a sharp eye to Uhtred and Brida both looked shaken. "What do you want Wasp? He questioned. Uhtred glared up at Ragnarsson as he stood up and tutned to leave. "Wait! Ragnar! Saxon scouts are by the river - Khaana is holding them off." He said quickly reaching out to grab Ragnarsson's sleeve.

"You must help her, they were armed! She's just a doggie!" Brida shouted. Ragnarsson chuckled "just a doggie? No, Khaana will be fine - she is a warrior just as all Danes are warriors." He said. Ragnarsson flung Uhtred's hand off his arm.

"Ragnar!" Uhtred called after him, Ragnarsson stopped walking and sighed. "You wont stop all that buzzing until I do..." He sighed. "Verry well but you -" he said snatching Uhtred up by the collar "you're coming with me."

Khaana stood still, just as she had when she ran off the men. Unmoving she stood there lest the gain the courage to come back, she wanted to frighten them. However, no-one returned and Khaana finally relaxed. She winced while gripping the arrow in her shoulder. And with a cry she tore it from herself.

Khaana inspected the arrowhead, while she doubted the Saxons knew the art of poisons like those from her homeland - it was better to be safe. "Itsl is clean." She sighed, licking her tongue in annoyance as she tossed the artow to the ground.

Tge beatibg of horse hooves shook the wilds under the setting sun. Through the slow fall of night Ragnarsson came througg the trees. Uhtred peeking around his large body. "Khaana!" Uhtred called.

Khaana turned to face them a small smile on her face as she pressed her hand against the wound. Ragnarsson saw the blood and hopped down from hia horse. "An-nana, are you alright?" He asked rushing to her he inspected the hole in her shoulder.

"And you said she'd be fine..." Uhtred muttered. "Shut.up. wasp." Ragnarsson growled slowly. "But I am, its just a flesh wound and a small one at that." Khaana said bruahing Ragnasson away. "And the scouts?" He asked her, Khaana gave him a pleased smirk "can you not still catch the scent of shit in the air?" She questioned her eyes liting up with amusement.

Ragnarsson laughed softly "they turned tail and fled back to their lord or lords. All of England is desperate to bannish you." Khaana said. "Us, you're a Dane." Ragnarsson corrected. Khaana gave a half hearted smile. "Let us head home, to be caught in the dark would be most unwise." She warned.

Ragnarsson pressed his forehead to hers and ruffled her hair "with you at our side? The dark would be unwise to catch us." He said. Khaana scowled at him as he tangled up her hair which cause the great big dane to nearly giggle. He loved getting on her nerves.

Khaana lightly shoved him away grom her. "Do you enjoy bothering me Ragnarsson?" She asked pointedly "very much so" He said. "Imbecile...." She whispered stalking past himb the horse and Uhtred. "Nah! You love me and uou know it!" Ragnarsson shouted after her, mounting the horse he and uhtred followed behind her as she lead the way home.

Uhtred listened to them banter back and fourth and after a short while felt safe enough to join in. He had heard all the tales of the heathen Danes, murderous godless monsters. However, now he wasn't so sure about thise stories, not when he watched them in the moments they let their guard down. The moments no one else would ever see from the outside.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.2K 694 33
"Lord, I would never say this to a Saxon, but she needs you. She is of two worlds, if someone were to find out, she'd be dead...She needs you, lord."...
105K 2.4K 78
The Last Kingdom Fanfic! Nadia Thurgilson is a tough Danish woman who finally meets her match in Earl Ragnar's son Ragnar the Younger. But their blos...
49.5K 1.3K 27
Shaylee had nothing more to lose when she sneaked into a boat and left her homeland Ireland for good. She had burned all the bridges behind her, and...
745 33 7
As a child, Estrilda fled Danish invaders in Bebbanburg and settled in Wessex. She lived an unassuming life as a healer until the return of her broth...