survival

By queersgambit

Declan Harp is no stranger to misfortune, pain, and survival. So after his fiasco in Fort James and narrowly... More

dead reckoning
sweetness
wanted
lost
the wolf and the bear
mutiny
keetom takooteeoo maheekun
the low road
la fin du monde
satanazas
all for all and none for one
the sins of the father

cannonball

444 7 0
By queersgambit

Trekking through the snow was something I was long since accustomed to. So when Charlie and Tag stumbled or slipped a bit, I had to always bit my lip to stop any laughter. Declan found it amusing as well but neither of us ever commented. Not even when Tag cursed up a storm and latched onto my arm to get across a particularly icy patch.

"Easy lad," I laughed, snagging the back of his coat when he nearly tripped. We were stomping through the snow, on our way 'home'. He shook his head, sighing. There came then the sound of a bird but it didn't sound as chirpy as it usually did. No, this was a call.

Pausing, we looked around the terrain we were in. Turning with Declan, he spotted Sokanon first when she emerged from behind a boulder. Then, a small girl followed. I waited with the others as Declan approached his chosen-sister, the two regarding one another carefully. "How was Montreal?" she asked.

"It was good," Declan nodded.

"Did you get what you need?"

Declan peered over his shoulder at me before turning to his sister. "Yes." She nodded, peering over Charlie, Tag, and I before looking back to Declan. "Who's the kid?"

"She was stolen. I'm taking her to Kamenna to live with the Lake Walkers."

Declan chuckled uncomfortably. "Uh, no. I need you with me."

Sokanon took a step forward, a fierce look in her eyes. "I need to do this." The two stared each other down, a power struggle for Declan. He wanted his orders obeyed but didn't want to say no either. Not to Sokanon who was doing a good and noble thing. "Michael's expecting you with a way through that wall."

"I know. I'm working on it," my husband nodded. He peered at us again, Tag shivering as he had no coat.

"Good. You should go. He needs you."

Looking to the kid, Declan spoke, "You do as she says."

I smiled a bit as he pulled his sister closer and kissed her forehead. She smiled just a hint, her stoic expressions reminding me heavily of Little Fish. She watched us as Declan turned to join us, effectively signaling our departure. "Meera!" she called, making me look up just as Declan arrived back to my side. She looked like she was struggling for words. "Thank you.. for keeping him safe and bringing him back."

I smiled, my husband lacing his hand with mine. "I told you I had his back and would not let you down."

"You're a woman of your word," she nodded.

"I try to be," I smiled some. When she had no more to say, Declan and I bade her one last smile before departing. We trekked on, our hands losing one another as our footing required a bit of balance. I shook my head as Tag slipped a few times, him grumbling.

"How can ye walk through this so easily?" He snapped.

"Lived in this for a portion of my life. Worse conditions. This snow and climate is nothing compared to ours," I chuckled.

"I can attest," Declan nodded. "Pretty brutal before you get used to it."

Tag continued to grumble, shivering in his boots the closer we neared Fort James. And I never saw someone look so damn grateful as he when we did finally make it. Declan took the lead then, edging us into the Fort's boundaries as we still crept around. He knew these woods best so we stayed low and followed his lead. There were a line of Red Coats there, one a commander and barking orders.

We ducked behind a create, Declan's hand circled around mine. We watched as the one screamed in his men's faces, further dismissing them all. "Can you distract them?" Declan asked.

"I'll grab the bastard and choke him with his own balls!" Tag answered.

"Charming," I rolled my eyes.

"No bloodshed," Declan commanded. Tag looked annoyed, exasperated as he wracked his brain for an alternative.

"I'll fire off a pistol? Make them give chase?"

"We don't need the attention," I answered, Declan nodding. My husband pulled a knife out and handed it to the Scotsman, him looking annoyed as hell now.

He took the knife, moaning, "I just got this fuckin' shirt."

I was a bit confused by what was happening. Declan kept watch, my beck pressing into his chest when Tag began to insert the knife in his fucking gut! I furrowed my brows, mildly alarmed as he hissed and moaned a bit. Declan's hand rubbed soothingly over my knuckles as I watched.

"Oh! That tickles!" The madman smirked, my stomach queasy. Declan laughed at his friend, Charlie and I none too impressed.

"I don't know if that's brave or stupid," he spoke stoically.

I shook my head. "Sometimes they're one and the same," Tag spoke. "Here." Tag limped off quietly, the three of us remaining behind the large creates a barge had once shipped over. Declan's hand moved to press into my waist as we turned to watch the scene.

"What's the plan?" Charlie asked.

"Wait for McTaggart to get rid of them," came the gravely response. "Then we walk in, we'll take it," his eyes were set on the canon left out for polishing and repairs, the group of guards at a standby to presumably protect it.

"You're all a bunch of nutters," I shook my head. "And while your plans are all shite, they typically work."

Declan chuckled and pressed his lips to my temple, fingers curled around my waist as we waited and watched. "Help!" Tag called, staggering forward, panting and pressing his hand into his wound. "I need help!"

"Go on, you drunken idiot," one Red Coat called.

"No, I'm bleeding!" He moved his hand to show the blood spilling from his gut. "I have to warn you, Captain. Danger," he trailed off, pointing behind him.

It did the trick and attracted the Captain's attention. He moved forward. "What sort of danger?"

"I'm weak, I need a hand," Tag wheezed. He panted as the Captain took him under his arm and assisted him elsewhere.

"Over there." He sat Tag down, the man groaned and moaning in pain.

"Look at that," Tag showed the wound, the Captain turning a face of disgust. "I was picking mushrooms up by the east wall, and then out of no where, this mad fucker runs at me, pops a hole in me with his knife. I fear for your men."

"Head to the east wall and keep your eye out for armed rogues!" The Captain commanded his men. "You heard the man, he was attacked. Right."

"Careful, boys," Tag advised.

"You should get that wound checked," the Captain muttered once his men departed.

"No, no, no, wait, wait, wait," Tag called the man back as he was moving to leave the scene. "Be a good laddie, get me some water from that barrel."

"Get it yourself!"

"My legs'll give out before I make it over there. Capn', sir, please."

"Oh, for fuck's sake," cursed the Brit. I watched as he left our sight, Tag turning back to us.

"Hurry up, ye trio of bastards!" he hissed.

We moved forward, Declan grabbing a cloth and Charlie the cannonballs. "Get some powder!" I nodded, snatching what I could.

"He's coming, go, go, go, fuck off! Go, go, go, go!"

We turned tail, my hands moving to snatch up a barrel before we we rushing from sight. We pushed forward, my legs carrying me behind my husband and Charlie. I was unsure where Tag had buggared off to but it didn't matter as we reached the little building Michael was to be working in.

We stepped inside, setting down all we had in our arms before noticing the large, gaping hole. "Christ," I shook my head as Declan dipped his head low.

"Michael, my boy," he praised.

"Harp," I heard my countryman reply. I peaked down, seeing him sweaty, dirty, and wielding a small axe. He dropped it to the dirt. "You made it."

I moved back as Declan curled a hand around my waist, Michael standing from out of the tunnel. "Alright," he grunted. "Well, we got a deal with Elizabeth Carruthers. She's ready and waiting."

"Well done. I guess you got a bit of Irish charm left lurking in there after all," Michael teased.

Declan groaned a bit before replying, "We lost Jack. But we found this." Gesturing over to Charlie, he unveiled the cannon sat on his lap as Michael gasped. He looked at the golden contraption with wonder, eyes wide and staring at it with appreciation and lust. Declan left my side, swiping at his forehead.

"This should take care of that wall," Charlie approved.

"Yeah," Declan agreed. He took the weapon in his arms almost like a babe before turning to Michael and I. "When's Chesterfield giving the drill?"

It took the Irish boy a moment, his eyes widening and a grin appearing. "On the hour."

I smirked as Declan turned to Charleston and with a smirk asked, "Charlie? Shall we?" He nodded, grabbing the needed materials to function the cannon before moving around Mike. "Pardon me."

I chuckled, hearing the door open and turning to look with Michael. I choked out a chuckle as McTaggart appeared and hobbled down he stairs, Red Coat hanging off his shoulder and his hat perched on the Scot's. I shook my head as he grunted a bit before literally heaving the man from his shoulder with a, "Hop!"

Declan pressed me into him, eyeing the Red Coat wearily as we faced Tag. He was breathing heavily and fanning himself now with the tri-corner hat. Michael was none too pleased. "What in the name of Jesus did you bring him in here for?"

"Ah...... well, I should've just killed the fucker, but a dead body's a bit more suspicious than a missing one, is it not?"

I shook my head. "Make sure he doesn't make any noise," Michael commanded.

It was then I noticed the gash across Tag's forehead, a wild and deranged look in his eyes. "You're very welcome, by the way," he seethed. I felt Declan step away and move back to examining the tunnel.

"Don't do me any more favors," Michael chuckled, shaking his head at the mad man.

"You're just taking orders from everyone, Tag," I chuckled, stepping away from the tunnel to lean on a wall. He waved me off as Declan called for everyone to evacuate the tunnel.

"Piss off, Meera, help me tie him up," he heaved for breath. I chuckled and nodded, the others now setting up the cannon as we handled the Red Coat. I also wiped away some of the blood on his head but I didn't have any of my needed supplies to help bandage him.

"That there rope, we ain't gonna halt the kickback. And she's about as ready as she's gonna be," Charlie spoke, ever the arms specialist. I stood away from the Red Coat now, nearing my husband as he glared at the tunnel and cannon, his mind whirling for all this to actually work.

"This may not be your hands around Benton's throat, but in the HBC's eyes, this will end him," Michael spoke, almost trying to reassure or comfort Declan.

"If it doesn't end us first," my husband mused. I smiled just a hint and shook my head, knowing what we were doing right now was pure madness.

"This is about as dangerous as it gets," Charlie mused. "Harp, you sure you'd like the Lady Harp in here while we do this?"

"I'm staying," I spoke, eyes set on the death trap we were setting up. Charlie's eyes flickered from me to Declan.

He only shrugged, "She's made up her mind."

"You alright to do this, Charlie?" Michael asked.

"Ain't nobody better than me to do this," he responded, pocketing the powder pouch. Declan lands a firm pat on his back in appreciation.

"McTaggart, go stand watch," he spoke to his friend.

"This is gonna rip you all fresh new arseholes," Tag spoke, ever the most kind man here. "Love," he turned to me, arm circling around my waist. "Maybe you should join him. This can get dangerous very quick."

"Do you want me here?"

"I want you close," he nodded. "Go keep watch with McTaggart.."

I knew he was the big man around here and was used to giving orders and being obeyed immediately. But he's never treated me as a subordinate and I knew he really just wanted me out of harms way. I nodded, moving to press my lips to his in a his before turning and jogging up the wooden stairs.

"Sent ye away?" Tag asked when I joined him in the tree line.

"Something like that," I shrugged with a chuckle, hearing the echoing of the muskets.

"He's only looking out for ye," he mentioned.

"I know," I smiled, the two of us feeling the cold creep in along with the anticipation of what the fuck we were about to do. "There's one."

We waited before the second round. "Two."

"Get ready," I sighed, turning some as I knew the noise would be loud. We flinched and covered our ears as both cannons sounded, the ground quaking a bit beneath us. We moved further into town, playing it cool as we silently observed around us. He swiped an apple from a basket as a maid passed, his teeth gnawing into it. "Tag," I whispered, seeing a group of Red Coats.

"Where's Vanstone?"

"Oh, shite," Tag cursed.

"That's Chesterfield," my eyes widened, hearing him command for his men to check the storehouse.

Tag began a slew of curses, my hands balling into the fabric of my pants. "We've got to warn them, go!"

He nodded, us turning and rushing away as calmly as possible to not alert anyone. I kept pace, feeling my heart rate accelerate. We could not get caught now, we had come so far and done so much it was just nearly heartbreaking to think we were so close to getting caught.

Pushing our way inside, Tag and I descended the stairs to see the men already getting a move on the transfer of furs. Declan saw us appear and paused, looking to hear what we had to say. "Red Coats are looking for fuck knuckles here. We need to move out fast."

"I'll go distract them," Declan sighed, glaring at the bloodied Brit before moving towards the stairs. And now that he was a new man, it wasn't that he couldn't go out there. But it was still dangerous and would raise suspicions over his sudden appearance.

"No," I stepped in front of him.

"No, wait," Michael echoed, Declan's hand already laced with mine as I tried to block his path. Looking over everyone, Michael peered out of the tunnel. "I can handle it."

"How?" Tag asked, us all watching Michael's movements as he approached the "fuck knuckles", as McTaggart had named him.

"I owe you a thank you, after all, McTaggart," he moved, kneeling now in front of our prisoner. "I need your jacket."

"Go fuck yourself," the man attempted to say, the gag making it a bit muffled.

"Ooooh, alright," Michael had no shame, hands moving to strip the solider.

"And your plan is...?" I asked, watching as the men struggled.

"Oh, you'll see, lass," Michael chuckled to himself. I perked a brow at Declan, questioning the methods of his men.

"I trust him," he nodded, tugging me further down the stairs. "Lets keep unloading them all until Michael's ready to go. Then, we'll wait for his signal."

"Christ," I shook my head, looking around at the damage done. "You lot......are purely one of a kind."

"Thank you, love," Declan chuckled.

"Oh, by the way, I hear congratulations are in order," Michael's thick accent came. He looked up, tugging on the soldier's uniform. "Heard you two got married in Montreal. Congrats."

"Thank you," Declan nodded, smiling down at me. His grip around my waist was tight, anchoring me to him without any means of escaping. Not that I'd ever want to, that is. "It was.... it felt like the right thing to do."

"Indeed," I smiled. "Thank you, Michael."

He nodded and finished getting dressed, moving around rapidly as we knew the guards were on their way. "Stay here, I'll call for you when it's clear. Just...trust me on this, ey?"

We nodded, watching the Irishman climb through the tunnel and into the Company Storehouse. We listened, his feet clanging up the wooden stairs as his voice was just a bit muffled as he seemingly spoke to a British guard. There came a loud bang before two thumps and a called 'all clear!'

"Was that his signal?" Charlie asked.

"Must be," Declan shrugged before moving forward with his men. Charlie and Tag went through first, looking around for us as Michael had seemingly locked up the house and allowing us to work without any of their knowledge.

"I've an idea," I spoke up. Their eyes turned towards me, Charlie and Tag squatting to look at me through the hole. "What if we have these lot," I nodded to my companions, "rope up the pelts. Then we haul them out on like a line. Knot the rope to them all and just tug it through?"

"Not a bad idea, lass," Tag nodded.

"She's wickedly smart, what can I say," Declan grinned. "Good idea, love, lets get it in action." From there, it was Tag, Charlie, and I roping together sets of pelts, the other men tugging it all through the hole, unlacing them, and sending the rope back. It was working rather well, the hairs on the back on the back of my neck standing just hearing Declan's grunts.

I jumped a bit when Michael suddenly appeared. "They're coming!"

"For fuck's sake," Tag grunted.

"We've gotta get going, I've been identified," Michael further explained as he approached my husband straight on. I moved forward, hand curling around my lover's arm as I watched the exchange. He was aloof.........too aloof.

"I know. I'm staying."

"What?" Michael and I asked at the same time. There came a rumbling of distant soldiers then, worrying us further.

"As long as they know I'm in here, they won't be looking for you out there," he explained.

"Love-"

"Harp, no," Michael shook his head, Declan reaching up and lacing our fingers together.

"Open the door!" Came a British man's command.

"Something's jamming the lock, sir!"

"Then break it!"

"Sir."

I looked down as Declan smiled at me before turning his eyes to Michael. "They're here. Stick to the plan, Michael."

"You cannot be serious," I shook my head, fingers clasping over his. "Love, don't do this-"

"It's alright," he nodded in reassurance. But all I could do was frown.

"Alright. We'll get the furs to Petrie's Rock," Michael spoke, moving towards the hole in the wall as I lingered.

"Michael," Declan called, making the boy halt. "Be careful."

"Don't get caught this time."

I turned the moment the boy was gone, Declan having raised an axe to point at him affectionately. I kneeled in front of my husband, tears brimming my eyes as he lowered the weapon and looked at me finally. Really looked at me. "Please, we have time now to get away, don't do this."

"I have to," he insisted. "For Michael, I'm a larger target than anything." He reached forward and curled his hand so he could tuck some hair behind my ear. "And for you. I never meant for you to get so caught up and involved. I'm sorry for all the danger I've put you in."

"I made my own choice when I decided to come with you. And again when we met with McTaggart. And again when we married," I felt the tears dripping now, his calloused fingers wiping them all away but I was dead set on trying to convince him. "Please, Declan. I love you with all that's in me. Let's leave now, we can easily get away- we've more than enough furs. We-we can settle down somewhere, start a new life. Isn't that what you wanted?"

"I want nothing more than to settle in a cottage with you," he smiled, "away from this danger, away from these murderous Brits. I want to have a married life with you, putting babes in your belly, all of it. But right now, there are bigger issues. I won't ever be far, we'll make it out of this. Don't write me off just yet, I'm not leaving you."

"And I'm not leaving you," I spoke stoically.

He sighed, "Meera-"

"No, Declan, you don't have to do everything alone you know!" I snapped. "I won't be safe anywhere except with you, you know that. I know you do. You seriously trust McTaggart?"

He stifled a chuckle. "While I do, I don't know if I fully do when it comes to you."

"I'm staying," I swore, looking him dead in the eye. "Just try to make me leave, it won't happen."

"What did I do so right to deserve you?" he asked, a pounding coming at the door. I looked up nervously, Declan's hand secured in mine.

"Michael Smyth!" Called a voice. I looked to my husband, us both seemingly safe due to the confines of the cellar. "I'm gonna tear you apart."

"Stay quiet," Declan whispered. I nodded, senses on the ready to bolt or fight if need be. "I think you know who I am," he called back strongly to the man at the door. Chesterfield, was it?

"Harp?"

"You remember me? I'm flattered," he mused, winking at me. I shook my head with an easy smile despite the circumstances.

"Break this fucking chain!"

"Stay low, stay quiet," he commanded, grunting as he stood and armed himself. "Stay close to me, I can only protect you if you're nearby." I nodded, moving with him around the cellar stairs where just above the Brits were breaking down the door.

I nodded at him as he looked to me, his eyes stoically fierce as I knew he had an issue with fighting people in front of me. But when I brandished a small knife, he smiled a bit. The first one down the stairs was yanked behind them quickly, Declan making a swift hack job.

I moved silently as another came down and looked over the railing to where the first had fallen. Declan moved as well, his glare sending cold shivers to my core. He tossed something across the room, making the Red Coat fire in that direction and therefore, disarming himself.

Declan made quick work of yanking him down to the floor before tugging the second. I jumped a bit when he seemingly got into the killing spree, using their own muskets to kill the one. The second, Declan had against the wall before finishing him off with his hands.

"In the tunnel," he directed, shooing me as he swiped his long hair from his face and followed after me. We crawled, hearing the pounding of footsteps echoing but still pushing forward. "Almost there, love."

We reached the other side, me immediately moving out of his way once clear. I surveyed the room, trying to locate an exit, weapon, or both. Declan cleared the way as well, ducking down and seeing if anyone was on our tail. And of course they were! This was Declan Harp- notoriously wanted man! They weren't going to let him get away.

"Love," I called, handing him a lit candle. I nodded to the canon, his eyes twinkling a bit. He nodded, kneeling and sweeping his hair away.

"Cover your ears," he smirked, waiting until I did so before lighting the ignition. I flinched as the large ruckus echoed, the cannonball meeting it's mark of man, flesh, and later, wall. I shook my head when it seemed to have worked but all it really did was alert others to our location. "Back!" he called, ushering me forward.

Rushing forward, I bit my lip when the bodies were in front of me. "Christ, they're still intact."

"Go over them, love," Declan spoke. "C'mon, over them then we'll make a run."

I choked down bile as the blood and scrambled bits of the men squished under me. I tried to pay it no mind, my husband following me closely. Reaching the other side, I paused and saw no other movements. I pushed out, turning and waiting for Declan with a helping hand

His tangled in my own, his dark eyes looking around and taking in how everyone had been knocked down. He calmly strode forward and took the stairs. "Now what?"

We exited the cellar, looking around with the Storehouse at our backs. "Head down, stay close to me." I followed suit, hands wrapped around myself now as I did as bid. Head down, trailing his steps. For a large man he seemingly blended in with all around him with no issue. Even with a fucking axe in hand.

He paused in front of me, a group of soldiers rounding the corner. I mimicked his steps, moving as he turned but upon seeing more trailing us, he swiftly rotated and headed for one of the houses. He peaked over his shoulder, me following as the soldiers neared.

Using the darkness to our advantage, his arms circled my waist and pulled me back into the trees and night. And it was obvious then they were searching for someone and knowingly, that someone was my husband.

We didn't stick around, moving around all night to cover our tracks and not risk getting caught. However, exhaustion was inevitable. "Rest," he spoke in my ear, letting us lean against the back of a shed. "We're okay for now, I'll wake you when we need to move."

"What of you?"

"I'm okay. I'll watch over you, now please. You're more important," he tucked some hair behind my ear once more. Pressing his lips to my forehead, he lulled me onto his shoulder and without my consent, my eyes were pulling shut.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 27K 46
. 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐩𝐨𝐩𝐮𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐌𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐮𝐩 𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥, 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐭�...
9.1K 241 8
LOVE | OUTERBANKS " you can hear it in the silence, you can feel it on the way home, you can see it with the lights out, you are in love, true love...
14.5K 405 18
𝘪'𝘷𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘳𝘶𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘫𝘶𝘯𝘨𝘭𝘦, 𝘪'𝘷𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘳𝘶𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘭𝘷𝘦𝘴, 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘺...
33.6K 357 27
In which Melody Boudreaux falls in love with JJ Maybank. All while going on a dangerous treasure hunt to find missing gold. RANKINGS 09/29/2021- #19...